Author Topic: Clan Wolf Beta Galaxy Star  (Read 603 times)

Nips

• Sergeant
Clan Wolf Beta Galaxy Star
« on: 02 August 2020, 09:06:45 »
Like it says in the subject!  Nothing super crazy here, but I didn't have a Wolves painted until now, so it seemed long overdue.

I had to make some adjustments to a few of these sculpts.  As you all know the hips on this Linebacker normally sit right underneath the main body, and give you no ability to rotate the torso.  So I build it up underneath said torso with some laser-cut parts, and after fixing the thigh-hip attachment points (boy those are thin) it actually looks like it could both walk and torso-twist.  At least, if you ignore the swim fins it has for feet. :P

This Pouncer kinda drives me mad, because I like the sculpt, but the attachments points at the "shoulders" for the arms are basically nonexistant.  It's infuriating.  I have no idea how the sculptor ever intended the arms to stay attached to the torso.  I therefore sculpted a layer of greenstuff to thicken the torso in the z-axis, and give the shoulder nubs enough volume to actually stick the pins of the arm parts into mating holes, along with adding some volume to the hips to match.

I tried a few new techniques on these 'Mechs, including using my airbrush and a mask to lay down the base colors (top half/bottom half).  It worked out pretty well!  Not sure when I'll try that trick again, but it was nice to see it work out pretty well.

Funny story though: I've owned that Mad Dog since I was a young teenager, and when I got it fresh from the blister it was missing the hip piece.  Since I was basically a child and didn't know how to get a replacement part or return it (the store was almost an hour away from my house), I instead cut a chunk of the sprue to fit, with a pair of nubs sticking off to slot into the tops of the legs.  If you look carefully you can see where I stacked two layers of sprue to make up the hips; in hindsight, I should have torn it apart and rebuilt it properly nowadays, but it was already assembled (for yeeeeaars at this point) and I just didn't feel like fixing it.  It's passible, but it does wobble a tiny fraction if you hold it just right.  Boo.
Proud Paper-Pusher of the Oosik Irregulars

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Clan Wolf Beta Galaxy Star
« Reply #1 on: 02 August 2020, 09:21:09 »
 :thumbsup:

Mecha82

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Some things never change
Re: Clan Wolf Beta Galaxy Star
« Reply #2 on: 02 August 2020, 09:44:17 »