Author Topic: What is the best way to base your savannah masters?  (Read 1377 times)

wolfspider

• Warrant Officer
What is the best way to base your savannah masters?
« on: 07 August 2020, 09:14:16 »
I was going though my battletech bits box the other day and found a pack of Savannah Masters, and I was wondering what is the best way to base them? They seem small enough that you could do 2 to a base.
I may have a low amount of posts but I have a PHD in Battletech and mechs older then most people on this board!

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
Re: What is the best way to base your savannah masters?
« Reply #1 on: 07 August 2020, 09:19:00 »
You totally could.  Frankly you could probably get four to a base if you wanted to.  I have four, but I decided to base them solo.
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

wolfspider

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 07 August 2020, 09:37:06 »
Thanks do you have any pictures? If you based them as a single what size base do you use?
I may have a low amount of posts but I have a PHD in Battletech and mechs older then most people on this board!

CranstonSnord

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 07 August 2020, 09:39:39 »
I based my battalion on pennies.

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #4 on: 07 August 2020, 09:47:43 »
I don't have any pics of them at the moment.  I'll try to get some later.  They are still in progress.  Based and primed but that's it.

I based them on standard hex bases with piano wire, and then filled the base in with green/blue epoxy putty.  Gives them the hover look.  I'll eventually add terrain and such to them.
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

Brother Jim

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 07 August 2020, 12:02:00 »
I don't have pictures and don't own them anymore, but I used  [99-112 20mm Inset Hex Base With Slot $0.50] from Ral Partha (still available from Iron Wind). I covered the slot with cardstock, flipped it over and used a bit of paperclip to "hoverize" the Savannah Master. Then filled in the base.

The picture is actually the bottom of the base, I just glued the bases to a cereal box and trimmed the cardstock.

Cazaril

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 07 August 2020, 12:26:04 »

Tangoforone

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 09 August 2020, 00:32:51 »
I thought about doing two to a base for a time (using Gabriels instead of Savannahs), then I ran into the inconvenient game mechanic called initiative.  In the end I just run one per base.  If you can find smaller hex bases, go for it, but the small IWM bases are pretty expensive.

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 09 August 2020, 03:05:06 »
Mount it as close to the front of the hex as you can, flock the base only to the side of the craft's travel, and the back part of the piece is brown non-flocked.

Make it look like it is outrunning its own counter, with the vegetation underneath blown off to the side

shadowdancer

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 09 August 2020, 12:44:45 »
You can put two on a base but I found out that even if you want them to move together if a pilot misses a roll one should end up someplace else. I base mine on pennies and have started using cheap plastic hex bases. On the pennies if you drill a hole in the penny and the bottom of the Master then use a piece of paperclip as a post so it is not setting on the bottom.
Wishing the Worse on your Enemies
Contact the 13th Armored Calvary
Deliverers of "BAD LUCK"
Anytime
Anyplace
If the Price is Right

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #10 on: 12 August 2020, 08:10:53 »
I just plan on using Hover bases modified for them. That way I can fit more than one in a hex.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Register