Author Topic: The Society's ToyBox  (Read 19273 times)

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
Re: The Society's ToyBox
« Reply #60 on: 12 September 2018, 13:40:59 »
So, my opinion on that alternate HAG round has moved to be rather desicively against it on balance grounds. 10 point clusters on a Flak weapon absolutely murders all but the heaviest aerospace fighters to such a degree it's not even funny. You're looking at a weapon that shoots flyinh targets ar -3 (-4 if a TC is involed) that will Threshold just about anything shy of an 80 tonner. As an alternate ammo.
Flak? No, it lost that aspect.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #61 on: 12 September 2018, 14:52:58 »
So, my opinion on that alternate HAG round has moved to be rather desicively against it on balance grounds. 10 point clusters on a Flak weapon absolutely murders all but the heaviest aerospace fighters to such a degree it's not even funny. You're looking at a weapon that shoots flyinh targets ar -3 (-4 if a TC is involed) that will Threshold just about anything shy of an 80 tonner. As an alternate ammo.

What about a cousin to precision ammo? 
HAG-20 becomes HAG-15, but long and medium ranges get a 1 point buff to the cluster roll?
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

Caedis Animus

• Captain
  • How can a bird be sultry? Very carefully.
« Reply #62 on: 15 September 2018, 17:35:44 »
What about a cousin to precision ammo? 
HAG-20 becomes HAG-15, but long and medium ranges get a 1 point buff to the cluster roll?

On a side note, that rather humorously reminds me of Titan Legion's (Titanfall 2) Precision ability, which reduces the amount of ammo per belt to be fired but drastically increases accuracy.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #63 on: 27 November 2018, 16:38:18 »

Some RPG ideas, but my lack of AtoW experience shows....  :-\

FERAL SUICIDE PILL
The Feral Suicide Pill is a very potent but fatal cocktail of performance-enhancing drugs. Undercover agents can use these pills (or dental implants) to prevent capture or to allow the agent to achieve a critical objective. The pill forces an extreme boost to an users physical performance, but this reaction is so extremely destructive that it will kill them minutes after use. The chemical reaction will alter after the agent dies, quickly turning the bodily fluids into powerful acids and enzymes. This process will rapidly destroy the body, including the bones and any degradable items on their body.
Game Rules: Duration: 2D6 minutes (1 RPG turn = 5 seconds), followed by death. 
Notes: Ignore Fatigue; Ignore Injury modifiers; STR +5; WIL +5; RFL +5; INT –6*; CHA –6* (*To a minimum of 1).

PERFECTED MUTAGENIC VIROTHERAPY
The Society had to flee the Homeworlds in defeat, but much was learned from the conflict. The data and survivors from the rebellion were enough for the Society to perfect Mutagenic Virotherapy. This allowed the Society to stop the usage of traditional Phenotypes and, at least internally, abolish the Warrior Caste. Currently all Society personnel are tested to find their specific combat aptitudes and are offered compatible perfected mutagenic virotherapies, called Mutatypes. Only one Mutatype can be selected for implementation and they can't be passed down to offspring.

Berserker Mutatype
Users of the Berserker Mutatype are often nicknamed Hyper-Elementals. On the outside they look like regular Elementals, but on the inside their bodies aren't fully human, but use biological adaptations from all over known space. This allows them to match the performance of Pain Shunt, Full-Body Dermal Armor and Triple-Strength Myomer Implants. But with the side-effect of permanent sterility.
Notes: Equal to Pain Shunt, Full-Body Dermal Armor and Triple-Strength Myomer Implants. Toughness, Sterility

Gunslinger Mutatype
The Society sees the Gunslinger mutatype as a generalist option. It improves reflexes, general senses, dexterity, multi-tasking. However there is a significant downside to having the muscles and nerves optimized for speed and accuracy, as these adaptations will reduce the maximum amount of physical muscle strength that the user's body can produce.
Notes: RFL +2; DEX +2; STR -1; Traits: Good Vision, Good Hearing

Interface Mutatype
This mutatype enhances neural tissues to improved compatibility with neural implants, while also preventing deterioration of mental health, feedback damage and the negative side-effects of Feralize drugs. It is used by all Society ProtoMech pilots and most Mechwarriors. However researchers have noted an increased risk of interface addiction, in where users don't want to disconnect.
Notes: Immune to neural feedback and side-effects of feralize drugs; Traits:  Poison Resistance, Pain Resistance

Spacer Mutatype
Fully organic but based upon Belter adaptations, this Mutatype goes one step further in making people more compatible with the environment of space. It is mostly focused upon improving low-G, high-G tolerance, oxygen consumption control and temperature regulation. The notable side-effect of these adaptations is full body hair-loss, also known as Alopecia Universalis.
Notes: Trait: G-Tolerance,  Thick-Skinned, vacuum exposure protection (1hour).

Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #64 on: 28 November 2018, 12:10:57 »
Are rules for the Society's genetic tinkering covered anywhere but WoR?
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

Xeno426

• Sergeant
« Reply #65 on: 28 November 2018, 13:03:00 »
Are rules for the Society's genetic tinkering covered anywhere but WoR?
Pretty sure virotherapies are in IO, maybe some stuff (or at least some similar stuff) is in the AtoW Supplement.

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #66 on: 28 November 2018, 16:53:48 »
Pretty sure virotherapies are in IO, maybe some stuff (or at least some similar stuff) is in the AtoW Supplement.
No mention of mutation or virotherapy in IO. AToW Companion has a quick bit about gene manipulation, and a separate, more detailed section on mutations, but nothing specific to the Society.

Looks like I need to buy WoR...

RevenVrake

• Master Sergeant
  • When in doubt, alpha strike!
« Reply #67 on: 05 January 2019, 01:29:38 »
I had an idea hit me while building a society toy today.

What if the Society decided to try building their own version of a 'light' engine, but decided to radically change how it works...or rather, where it went.

Now, normally a larger than standard fusion engine pushes into the side torso. So the Society instead splits the engine into three parts and still manage to somehow make it work. It weighs 75% of a normal fusion engine, but the extra four crits are instead placed in the legs, rather than the side torsos.

This is a Clan take on the "Light" Engine, but more focused on survivability.

Thoughts?

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #68 on: 05 January 2019, 12:56:43 »
No mention of mutation or virotherapy in IO. AToW Companion has a quick bit about gene manipulation, and a separate, more detailed section on mutations, but nothing specific to the Society.

Looks like I need to buy WoR...

You do it's a great book the supplement has more rules in it as well
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #69 on: 05 January 2019, 14:13:12 »
I had an idea hit me while building a society toy today.

What if the Society decided to try building their own version of a 'light' engine, but decided to radically change how it works...or rather, where it went.

Now, normally a larger than standard fusion engine pushes into the side torso. So the Society instead splits the engine into three parts and still manage to somehow make it work. It weighs 75% of a normal fusion engine, but the extra four crits are instead placed in the legs, rather than the side torsos.

This is a Clan take on the "Light" Engine, but more focused on survivability.

Thoughts?
What part of the engine would be in the legs.

I can imagine having small separate fusion engine in each leg, like a twisted version of a compact engine that only uses leg criticals.

Xeno426

• Sergeant
« Reply #70 on: 02 January 2020, 15:12:41 »
Given how much more use the Society makes out of the Ultraheavy protomech designs, there should be a "Light Mech Bay" to compliment them.

Otherwise the Ultraheavy protomechs have to use regular mech bays, which is quite wasteful of the space.

Retry

• Lieutenant
« Reply #71 on: 02 January 2020, 22:09:18 »
I'd have thought a "Clan Light Fusion Engine" would be like an IS light engine but with only 1 crit per side torso.

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #72 on: 11 February 2020, 12:57:29 »
One thing to remember about the Society is that they don't take input from their end users.  I keep thinking back to the "experts" in the 50's and 60's saying the "age of the dogfight is over.  From now on it's all missiles, all the time."  Then F-4 drivers got to meet the MiG-21 and they really missed having a gun.   On the other hand, these are some of the same experts who looked at the statistics from WWII and noticed that 90% of infantry combat was at less than 300 yards, and 95% or more was under 200. So does every soldier need a rifle that is effective out to 600 yards?  And through a long, twisted tale, this became the M-16.

My point is that new Society toys should be a mix of actually good and "sounds good on paper, so long as you've never carried a rifle."

Xeno426

• Sergeant
« Reply #73 on: 13 February 2020, 21:45:21 »
One thing to remember about the Society is that they don't take input from their end users.  I keep thinking back to the "experts" in the 50's and 60's saying the "age of the dogfight is over.  From now on it's all missiles, all the time."  Then F-4 drivers got to meet the MiG-21 and they really missed having a gun.   On the other hand, these are some of the same experts who looked at the statistics from WWII and noticed that 90% of infantry combat was at less than 300 yards, and 95% or more was under 200. So does every soldier need a rifle that is effective out to 600 yards?  And through a long, twisted tale, this became the M-16.

My point is that new Society toys should be a mix of actually good and "sounds good on paper, so long as you've never carried a rifle."
Probably not the best example. The USN and USAF quickly moved to fix the issue, first with training (Red Flag and Top Gun), and then with internal guns on later aircraft (USAF got the F-4E in 1972, the USN got the F-14A in 1974).

Further, the MiG-21S family of aircraft (some of the first upgrades after the MiG-21F) also lacked guns, as did some of the late 50's MiG-19 variants. The idea of "missiles will replace the need for guns" was hardly a U.S. thing. The original Lightening had internal cannons, but were often faired over to reduce drag, and were completely removed in the F.3 variant.

And the M16 was actually a good rifle, it suffered in Vietnam due to a combination of no chrome coating in the receiver, a recent switch to a different (more corrosive) powder for the 5.56 ammunition, and a lack of proper gun maintenance on behalf of the troops.

Basically, everyone quickly took notice of actual combat experience and made moves to correct the issue, both by changing how crews were trained and in changing requirements for future aircraft.
« Last Edit: 14 February 2020, 00:33:21 by Xeno426 »

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #74 on: 14 February 2020, 08:45:26 »
Probably not the best example. The USN and USAF quickly moved to fix the issue, first with training (Red Flag and Top Gun), and then with internal guns on later aircraft (USAF got the F-4E in 1972, the USN got the F-14A in 1974).

Further, the MiG-21S family of aircraft (some of the first upgrades after the MiG-21F) also lacked guns, as did some of the late 50's MiG-19 variants. The idea of "missiles will replace the need for guns" was hardly a U.S. thing. The original Lightening had internal cannons, but were often faired over to reduce drag, and were completely removed in the F.3 variant.
Those are cases where the end user's feedback was received and acted upon. In the Society, there would be an awful lot of "You just aren't using the system properly," to overcome before the scientists listened.

And the M16 was actually a good rifle, it suffered in Vietnam due to a combination of no chrome coating in the receiver, a recent switch to a different (more corrosive) powder for the 5.56 ammunition, and a lack of proper gun maintenance on behalf of the troops.
I'm not sure if it was specifically that the WC ball powder was more corrosive or more prone to fouling than the IMR stick powder.  The change was made because the Army wanted better terminal ballistics, which meant higher muzzle velocity, which meant a different powder.  They could have gotten even better terminal ballistics if they stayed with the same powder and made some subtle changes to the actual bullet, but they didn't because reasons. At least according to the book I'm reading.

Xeno426

• Sergeant
« Reply #75 on: 14 February 2020, 11:44:33 »
Those are cases where the end user's feedback was received and acted
Which is why I don't think it's the best comparison.

I see it more like Gladeon M. Barnes, but without an Armor Board to act as a sanity check.