Author Topic: Adventures of the Beer Keg of Science! ("Denizens"/"Adminstrator" adjacent)  (Read 36168 times)

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
Ix Ship Yards, Niops IX
Niops Association, 2 March, 3155

“We haven’t settled on a final name yet,” Brigadier Zeb Kindarps stated plainly as he and his companion floated in the station’s observation deck at the subject of the hour.  “They tell me we’re still another two years from completing enough repairs for her to move under her own power, and there’s debate in the Council of Chairpersons whether we want to honor the original Star League by keeping her original name, or give her a true Niopian name.”

The Kowloonese trade representative, Vincent Ng, nodded.  “So, she’s probably a good four to six years from being ready for shakedowns, and the Council figures they have time to argue about it.”  He stared a bit closer.  “Downgrading the armor?”

Brigadier Kindarps nodded.  “No tooling for better armor.  We work with what we can.  Armor protection will drop by 30%, but the Cruiser class has a tough spaceframe, so she’s got that going for her.  One of these days, we’ll be able to build better armor, and at that point we’ll bring her home, and refit her back to her original armor loadout.  Maybe even better.”

“Still,” Vincent replied, “this has to be ruinously expensive for the Association to do.  Is it worth it?  Your Saturn and Independence class projects seem to be going well enough, building up the numbers for local defense.  The Niops Association seems to be one of the few interstellar nations not interested in coveting thy neighbor’s territory or belongings, and even though you’re not building a new WarShip here, refurbishing that old rust bucket is going to get people’s attention.”

“Good,” Kindarps replied emphatically.  “It damned well should.  But, before I answer you, you’re not getting cold feet about selling us tooling for the subcapital weapons, are you?”

Ng laughed.  “No, your money, or is it Interstellar Expedition’s money, is certainly good enough, and like I said, the Niops Association doesn’t seem to be expansionist.  Besides, you’re far enough from the Commonwealth that I don’t think you’re going to get us into trouble, and it looks like, despite how many your old beer keg is getting, most of your subcapital guns are still slated for your system defense ships.”

“Right.”  Sighing, and relaxing a bit, Zeb turned from the window to Vincent.  “The Niops Association can continue to build Independence class ships until we’ve practically dotted the system, but the fact remains we can probably never build enough to keep either of our neighbors from invading us again if they really wanted to take us over.  And while from a policy perspective I accept that neither the Marian Hegemony nor the Free Worlds League is really intending to do so, I’m sure both have plans for that eventuality.  Hell, with the Marians, they’d just be updating their old plans from when they did it last time,” he replied, biting down his bitterness.

“Just playing devil’s advocate here,” Vincent noted, “but a single ancient cruiser isn’t going to stop them from invading.”

“Not if it’s here, no.  At least, not if it stays here.  Then it becomes a known quantity, just another thing to account for when planning your invasion: sure, it’s harder to kill than an Independence class, but that’s just a question of quantity.  If it’s not here, though, and you don’t know where it is, you have to worry about it hitting you back.  That’s why I suspect we’re going to rename the ship in the end, just to make that clear.”

“Do I want to know?” Vincent asked, confusion and amusement seeping into his voice.

“Probably not, but here’s a list of proposed names, anyway,” Zeb replied, handing over a compad.

Vincent scanned the list.  “NMS Beer Keg of Science, amusing…Hold My Me and Watch This?” he laughed, “that’s pretty funny, actually.  Ultimate Ship the Second, well, Niopians do have a twisted sense of humor…Relativity Experiment, okay…Shippy McShipface, yeah, somehow I'm not surprised...Bright White Light, that sounds a little too Blakist to me…Unfortunate Implications…huh…Physics Package…isn’t that…?”

“Another name for a nuclear weapon?  Yes.”

“Will your cruiser there be carrying a nuclear loadout?” Vincent asked suspiciously.

Zeb smiled, taking the compad back.  “I can neither confirm nor deny whether the as-yet-unnamed Niopian long-range exploration refit of the Cruiser class cruiser will carry tactical or strategic nuclear weapons capable of being deployed by either of its two types of capital missile launcher.”

“Exploration cruiser,” Vincent asked flatly.

Zeb nodded.  “Indeed.  Don’t get me wrong, we’d love to be doing that, anyway, because expanding scientific knowledge is still a popular idea in the Niops Association, regardless of why else we might finally be refurbishing that ‘old beer keg’,” he noted.  “But that fleet admiral of yours is one of the driving forces behind this whole project.  Word gets around, Mister Ng, and so Niops has decided it truly is time to explore brave new worlds, seek out new life and lost civilizations.  And if we end up having to boldly nuke where no one has nuked before, well, we’ll be ready.”

(Edit: added my wife's name suggestion, Shippy McShipface - "Let's get Shipfaced!)
« Last Edit: 02 May 2020, 16:34:01 by Giovanni Blasini »
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
I am grinning very, very hard. this is good.
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
they should just name it the NMS What Are The Civilian Applications?
just to mess with marian intelligence analysis. :)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
*snip*
And if we end up having to boldly nuke where no one has nuked before, well, we’ll be ready.”
*snip*
THAT is my favorite part of this post...  ;D

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
they should just name it the NMS What Are The Civilian Applications?
just to mess with marian intelligence analysis. :)

That was on my original list, too.

I am grinning very, very hard. this is good.

Thanks.  Still writing up the fluff text of the ship itself, and the design started as a straight-up conversion of the WarShip before getting...weird.

Right now, it's a 500,000 ton Primitive JumpShip that mimics the specs of the original, though it's done an even-numbered swap of the original's NAC/10s for Light SCCs, added four SCL/1s and 4 primitive small lasers per arc for secondary capital, anti-fighter and point defense work, and added a large naval comm-scanner suite and mobile HPG (since Niops purportedly had that tech still).

Retained are the DropShuttle bays, the jump sail, the small craft, the massive 500 passenger accommodations, and at the moment, the lack of fighters.  The switch to Primitive JumpShip does negatively impact the armor protection: it drops to 66%, instead of 70%, the original.

Frankly, I love it, and I'm justifying it by claiming it's the same hull and spaceframe, but that Niops had to kludge the existing drive to get it to work, and it lost half its performance as a result.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
Ok, specs up here, with more information on the design choices/fluff text:

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=69207.0

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Got to go on a Gravitas riff ...
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

kindalas

• Warrant Officer
Got to go on a Gravitas riff ...

It's name is definitely lacking in the Gravitas.

Maybe one of it's sister ships will get all of it.

Also you stole my comment.

And I feel like in this case imported modern Laser Anti Missile systems would be an acceptable expense.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
“I’m sorry, son,” Brigadier Zeb Kindarps said calmly, “my aging ears must not have heard you properly.  It almost sounds like you said the Independence class ships won’t fit in our cruiser out there.”

Ivan Zubok (yes, of those Zuboks), head of the Ix Shipyards, sighed.  “That’s exactly what I said, sir.  It’s not just a matter of length, though we’re scraping anyway.  It’s a matter of mass.”

“The bays were designed to hold ten kilotons worth of ships.  The plan was to send one Independence and one Saturn with them, let the Independence handle the landing duties.”

“Yes, sir, the bays can hold 10 kilotons,” Ivan agreed, “but remember we’re working with hyperspace physics on technology that’s been out of use in the Inner Sphere for almost seven hundred years.  Syrinx may understand its oddities, but…”

“…us mere mortals tend to struggle a bit.” Kindarps grumbled.  “OK, fine.  What’s the bottom line?”

Ivan looked at his noteputer.  “To sum up?  No one ship can be more than 5000 tons.  Maximum length of 80 meters, about the same for width.  Smaller would be better.  There is some good news, though.”

“Oh?” Zeb asked.  “What’s that?”

“Those laser AMS units that ‘fell off a truck’?  Yeah, we were able to fit those in place of the small lasers for point defense, and integrate them with the original ship systems and the added automation.  Doesn’t do the power distribution any favors, but that was an issue when the Cruisers were brand new, too.  Oh, and there’s good news on the, uh, physics packages, too.”

Kindarps perked up.  “Oh?  Do tell.”

“We’re not going to have a lot of them, and they need discreet testing somewhere not here, but we don’t just have Santa Ana grade warheads available.  We’ll be able so ship out with a half-dozen ‘asset management’ warheads for…’nuclear mining charges for xenogeological research’?  Seriously?  That’s our cover story?”

“Yep,” Zeb smiled.  “That’s the plan.  Going to have the makings of quite the gunboat diplomat.”

“Have we considered naming it that?” Zubok asked.

“Hmm…that’s not bad, actually.  I’ll put that in as a proposal.  SO ,what’s your answer to our little conundrum?”

“Put out an RFP.  There’s a couple ships that fit the bill in the age of the DropShuttle, like the original DroST I, the Black Eagle…I don’t know if our industrial base can handle the engines, but we could at least try to use one of those spaceframes as a starting point.  We're starting to get a handle on ship's engines again, so we may be able to build better ones than the Saturn or Independence use, or worse comes to worse import them if they're common enough.

“Get on it.”

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
OK, RFP for the new DropShip design is up here:  https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=69208.0

DOC_Agren

• Major
tagging so I don't miss it

NMS Wandering Explorer?
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
Main Computer Core Monitoring Room
NMS Beer Keg of Science!
Ix Shipyards, July 13, 3157

Ivan Zubok floated in the small chamber net to the holotank, behind Lieutenant Senior Grade Robert "Bob" Howard, head sysadmin for the half-million ton cruiser, who was seated as his station.   Next to him floated Leanansidhe (call me "Lea") Carpentier, captain of the newly-christened vessel, and member of the Niops Association's smallish "elf" subculture/genemods.  With reddish-blonde hair, and appearing to be in her forties, she was in truth three times older than that - old enough to be one of a handful of those who lived through the "Bad Old Days".

Bob grumbled under his breath as he worked, "...still can't believe we went with the 'Beer Keg' name..."

"Lieutenant!" Captain Carpentier snapped.  "Enough of that.  It's done.  Besides, it could've been 'Shippy McShipface'."

Ivan smiled.  "That was my vote.  At least we're getting that for one of the DropShuttles.  That and 'Gunboat Diplomat'."

"My vote," Lea agreed.  "Bob, are we ready to activate the main core?"

"Yes, ma'am.  As ready as we'll ever be with one of these things."

"Then proceed."

Bob held his finger over the "Enter" key on his keyboard, squeezed his eyes shut for a moment, and pressed the key down.

Seconds ticked by, and finally a holographic image flickered to life in the holotank, of a tall, thin man, with a shaved head, of indeterminate age.  Rather than a Niops Association Militia uniform, he wore a white, button-up shirt, and black pants.  He appeared to glance briefly at Bob, then Ivan, and finally settled for staring directly at Captain Carpentier.  "No.  Remind Syrinx I'm out."

Lea simply looked back.  "Syrinx has been offline for eighty years, Mac.  This isn't about her."

The hologram closed his eyes, and didn't say anything for several seconds.  Of course, that didn't really affect anything, since they weren't real eyes, anyway.  "What's it about, then?"

"We'd have let you sleep, Mac, for as long as you wanted, but we learned the hard way back in the 3070s that we don't always get a choice.  Look at your history files.  Look at how long it took us to get back on our feet again after the Jihad.  Things are getting bad again, and while we're building system defense ships with human crews, defense only gets us so far when we're this small.  A ship like this serves lots of purposes.  It can do retaliatory strikes if we get hit again, yes, but we can also do things like go to Izmir, or go to Revel, or go follow up on a dozen other stars that fell off the map while the Succession Wars raged.  We can do follow up visits to places that Interstellar Expeditions has barely had time to explore or catalog.  And then there's the contents of your protected memory.  Look in address 0x5468657920666f756e6420616c69656e73.  Tell me that's not worth waking you up."

Mac appeared to be lost in thought, then stared at her again.  "You're serious."

"The Lyrans certainly believed it.  Enough to send out an expedition," Ivan chimed in.

"Fine, I'm in.  But, a Cruiser class?  And the name lacks gravitas"

Lea chuckled.  "Couldn't find you another Baron class, sorry.  And I'll be sure to report the gravitas shortage to the procurement board."
« Last Edit: 07 May 2020, 01:43:21 by Giovanni Blasini »

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
Taggaed.
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

Dave Talley

• Major
tag fired
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
BattleMech designs for this incarnation of Niops are discussed here: https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=69227.0

The Wasps are straight out of the tech readout, except for the crappier medium laser, and the Shadow Hawk isn't a major departure, either: either it uses the prototype versions of the medium laser and the AC/5, or it swaps the AC/5 for a heavy rifle, which may actually be the better option.

smcwatt

• Sergeant
I see what you've done there.

Two books this year!

SMc.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
Yeeeeeeeeeessssssss..... :)

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
Main Bridge, NMS Beer Keg of Science!
Zenith Jump Point, Niops System, 21 November, 3157

Ensign Jamie Shido was not, in fact, the senior hyperspace navigator aboard the NMS Beer Keg of Science!.  She was possibly the best hyperspace navigator aboard, though, with an innate gift for running jump calculations on the fly.

For today's jump, the first one the aging Cruiser class cruiser had made in centuries, Jamie would be making the calculations, though Jamie's department head, Lt. SG Ian Kent, would double check them, as would Mac, the ship's AI.

Jamie wasn't a native Niopian, but the child of a pair of researchers with Interstellar Expeditions, who'd died during a hull breach incident on their JumpShip, caused by incoming fire just before a jump.  Young Jamie, in a spacesuit, lived, but had been in a compartment opened to space, and been exposed to the hyperspace energies first-hand, so to speak.  Her TDS symptoms were impressive, but so were her skills with hyperspace mathematics.

Pulling her hands back from her console, Jamie suddenly announced, "Jump calculations complete."

{"Confirmed."} Mac announced tersely.

Kent, being an organic being, took a bit longer. "Confirmed, Captain.  Good plot for the nadir point.  Ready on your mark."

From her seat on the command deck, Lea Carpentier nodded.  "Mac, take a nap."

{"Mhmm."} the AI grunted in reply.

From an auxiliary station near navigation, Ensign Michel Phoenix, one of the ship's sysadmins, checked his console.  "Confirmed Mac is in standby mode.  AI systems ready for jump."

"Engineering?" Lea asked.

Before the curly-haired ensign on station could reply, the intercom chimed to life, {"Yeah, Engineering department.
 Had to whack the KF controller with a crowbar, but we're good.  Tilly, you getting a good reading up there now?"}

The aforementioned curly-haired ensign looked up from her station, startled, and hit her own intercom button.  "Um, yes, Chief.  Everything's reading good now."

{"Good.  Keep an eye on the power transfer rate from the controller to the core.  Should be interesting.  We've got an eye on the helium pressure down here.  Captain, we're ready to jump."}

"I'm so glad," Lea replied.  "XO?  Do you concur?" she asked, using her headset.

Sitting at a similar station to Lea's in the ship's secondary CIC, Commander James "No, my middle name isn't Tiberius" Kirk swept his eyes over the crew here in CIC.  "Yes, ma'am.  We show all systems nominal as well, Captain.  We're ready to proceed."

"Very well."  Switching her comms to shipwide, Captain Carpentier spoke calmly, "All hands stand by for jump in ten minutes from mark......Mark."

Time ticket by as her crew continued to monitor their stations.  Soon, it was five minutes to jump, then one minute.  Then 30 seconds.  Then 10....

D͕̘͙̰IS͐Ĉ̰̙͂Ö͇̪͉̻̲̮͈́̇͊̇ͤͥ̎Ṋ̙̭̽̈̆͒ͅT̓ͅIN̼̹̮͈͇̞͐ͭͯ̔ͥ̈Ṷ̟ͭ̌ITY͔̺͓̝̌͂̈́̋

Jamie clutched her console, eyes squeezed shut, but failing to keep out the images of the krakens, seeking them out, wanting the souls of those aboard, to torment and slowly rip their souls apart...

...t̻̖͆ͣo̲̔ ̭͐FͮE̤̘̫̱̪͆̂̀̐͂E̹͔̹̦̥͐ͪ͗̚̚D̗̮̙͂̽̋ ̑o͙̤̩͕̦͕͔ͥ̽ͩ̄̃̀ͯn̟͉̓͑ tH̬͙̞͍̺̘̍ͮ̄̍ͣ͌e̓i̯̫̺̗̬͈ͅR͔̦͔͙̬ ͉͍̟ͩͩ̚s̩̠̝͛̌ͣO̍ͦ̓ͮ̉ṷ̝̋́L͛s...

Suddenly, the torment was over, droplets of blood floating freely from her nose to the open air in front of her.  She caught them up as best she could, and, like Lt. Kent next to her, verified their location.

From the command station, Captain Carpentier noticed what had happened, but chose not to call anyone's attention to it.  She'd have to talk to Ensign Shido later, she decided.  "Ops, wake up Mac.  Nav, are we on station?"

"Confirmed," Kent replied evenly.

"AI off of standby.  Mac should be online now."

{"Here.  So's Coronado."}

"Oh good," Lea smiled.  "Congratulations, everyone.  The Keg has a jump drive again."

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
daaayyyyummmm
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
daaayyyyummmm

Warning - MAJOR Spoilers for "This Alien Shore" by CS Friedman below:

My Jamie is borrowed from the main character in that book, who was a girl intentionally given dissociative identity disorder by Earth researchers in the hopes that one of the personalities would be the right kind of insane that they'd be able to see the monsters that live in hyperspace that feed on human souls, in the hopes of breaking the Guild (based on another world) monopoly on FTL travel, since the only other known method, the one used by Earth in the first place, causes wildly unstable mutations...including the insanity that allows Guild Navigators to avoid the monsters in the first place.

Your TDS effects, combined with the Interstellar Players hyperspace writeup, reminded me a lot of that book.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
Couldn't help but be reminded of this.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
XO's Office, NMS Beer Keg of Science!
Nadir Jump Point, Niops System, 22 November, 3157

They gave it a day, and a chance for a corpsman to look her over, but neither he nor Captain Carpentier wanted to go too long without addressing the elephant in the room: the severity of Ensign Shido's TDS.  Lea had considered addressing the issue with Shido directly, but conceded that, as much as she might be worried about the girl, and want to see her succeed, this really was a personnel matter, best handled by the XO.  Despite her age, Lea was, in many ways, as much a greenhorn as everybody else aboard the Keg.  Including him.

Commander James "C, not T, dammit" Kirk sat in his chair, pondering the issue, as the ensign in question floated in.  "Ensign Shido, reporting as ordered, sir," she said, obviously nervous.

"Please, sit down," he said, beckoning to the visitor chair opposite him at his tiny desk, inside his tiny office.  Despite massing 80 kilotons more than the "smaller" Vincent class corvettes, the Cruiser class was nearly 160 meters shorter, a short, squat cylinder packed to the gills with nine times as many people, a cavernous (but still not big enough) DropShuttle bay, and vastly more equipment.  Space was at a premium aboard the Keg.

"I want to start by saying that your job performance aboard the Beer Keg of Science! has been exemplary, and neither I nor Captain Carpentier have any complaints whatsoever about your duties or your job performance.  The Academy fast-tracked you for service aboard the Keg, because you showed considerable promise, and everything to date shows that they were correct.  There is, however, one striking issue that has both the Captain and I deeply concerned, and that's your TDS."

"Sir, I promise it won't affect my ability to do my job, and..." Shido rushed out.

"Hold that thought," Kirk interrupted her.  "I believe you mean that, and I also believe you're probably right...to a point.  Unfortunately that point will probably be right around the time your central nervous system seizes up or you have a brain aneurysm.  Right now, there's no medical reason to relieve you of duty.  We checked with the CMO, who looked at your file, and the report from the corpsman who looked you over yesterday.  They didn't share your records, and they won't share your records, but what they will do is tell the Captain and I if they feel anyone is medically-unfit to be here.  You're not, and hopefully you never will be."

"Um, thank you, sir?  May I ask what this is about, then?" she asked nervously.

"We're going on an exploration mission into areas where there won't always be an inhabited planet we can drop you off at if your TDS gets significantly worse and does become a fitness issue.  Your Einsteinian navigation skills are also exemplary, and you'd do just as well on one of the Independence class ships as you'd do here.  Hell, you could probably teach the hyperspace navigation class at the Academy.  Are you sure you want to keep subjecting yourself to more hyperspace jumps when there are other, less painful or debilitating options available to you?"

James had been in CIC, and not the main bridge, during the last jump, but he'd seen the security video replay.  It wasn't just the neurological issues that came with TDS, or just a nosebleed.  For a brief moment, Ensign Jamie Shido was doing more than just anticipating the pain that would come with her TDS thanks to their hyperspace jump, but sheer terror.  Something about KF jumps scared the hell out of Shido, which wasn't surprising given her history.  Giving Shido an out, and not subjecting her to that over and over again, while still protecting the career of a promising young officer.

Which is perhaps why he was surprised when her expression hardened, her face fiercely determined.  "With all due respect, sir, I don't need to be protected from jumping," she replied firmly.

"But...we do, don't we?" Kirk replied, in a burst of sudden insight.  "From...what, Ensign?  What's out there?"

Shido appeared to shrink a little bit.  "I'm...not entirely sure how to describe it, sir.  They're a...presence.  A sense of malevolence.  I can feel them every jump, sometimes impossibly distant, sometimes closer, and even before the attack, I felt them.  I never actually saw them until the attack, though, when they were right there, and we barely escaped them.  I think."

"You...think," Kirk asked flatly.  "But you saw them during the attack."  He knew immediately which "attack" she meant: the one that killed her parents.

"Sometimes I think they got a bite out of me," Shido shuddered.  "It's like they're drawn to information processing, to the reverse entropy that comes with sapient or near-sapient minds entering hyperspace, that they feed on it.  Use it to reverse their own entropy, at the expense of increasing ours.  Violence in our universe draws their attention, the irreversible entropy of a sapient mind being destroyed, but they're out there anyway, somewhere at the bottom of the Mandelbrot set, so to speak.  Very Lovecraftian, I know, but I don't know how else to describe them."

Kirk thought he understood, though.  "And, what?" he asked, "you can help us avoid them?  Keep them from what, feasting on our..."  He found he was at a loss for the right word.

"On our souls, sir.  And, yes.  It's all in the math.  I can teach it, but none of the other jump navigators really have the knack for it.  They see the math, see the numbers, see that the jump will work, but not why it will work.  Certainly not what we're trying to avoid."

"Who can?"

"Lieutenant Howard, sir.  From what I've seen, he's got the aptitude."  Shido paused for a moment before speaking again, "What's more is, I think he knows, sir.  I've seen him doing similar math before, in the officer's wardroom, for no particular reason.  He also...feels funny."

"Funny."

Shido nodded.  "I don't know how else to describe it.  You do, too, sir.  Do you ever get an impending, creeping feeling of doom, sir, or paranoia, or that something is watching you go through a hyperspace jump, Commander?  Something beyond the usual vertigo or nausea most people get?"

Kirk blinked.  He did, but now was hardly the time to admit that.  "Dismissed, Ensign."

"Sir?" she asked, confused.

"I'll talk to Captain Carpentier, but my recommendation will be not to transfer you off the Keg.  Dismissed."

Shido, nodded, confused and worried, as she started to leave.  "And...the rest, sir?"

"Will be discussed at a later date and time.  Go."

"Aye, sir," she saluted, and departed his office.

Once Ensign Shido was gone, James turned to his computer, and checked the duty roster, confirming Bob Howard was off duty.  Keying a short sequence into his intercom, he spoke into his mike.  "Lieutenant Howard to the XO's office.  Immediately."

James C. Kirk didn't believe Ensign Shido, per se.  But he didn't disbelieve her, necessarily, either.  And, given that they'd never been in the same room together during a hyperspace jump, and that he never outwardly showed any signs of his discomfort during one, for her to know...

"Dammit," he thought, "how the hell am I going to explain this to the Captain?"
« Last Edit: 06 May 2020, 17:33:03 by Giovanni Blasini »

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
Couldn't help but be reminded of this.

Holy crap, that was a thing!  ;D >:D

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
Another Stross fan I see  :thumbsup:
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

croaker

• Lieutenant
Indeed, would that be Lieutenant Bob Oscar Frank Howard?

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
Another Stross fan I see  :thumbsup:

Indeed.  Big fan of both the Laundry Files and Saturn's Children series.

Indeed, would that be Lieutenant Bob Oscar Frank Howard?

I can neither confirm nor deny he and his spouse have a functioning kettenkrad they recovered from a parallel Earth.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
sounds like they should have named the ship the Event Horizon

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
This just gets better and better...  ^-^

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
As long as we don't get factions headed by Niops' military war leader listening to the call of the Empyrean ... or why not?

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
Fixed an oops - last post said they were at the zenith jump point in the Niops system.  They'd already jumped to the nadir.

Register