Author Topic: What Could Go Wrong  (Read 125266 times)

2ndAcr

• Captain
Re: What Could Go Wrong
« Reply #60 on: 22 August 2022, 20:20:22 »
24 November 3040
Toten (Former OA System)

They arrived at the Nadir Jump Point in a system with no habitable planet but a single Gas Giant, but it had a dense asteroid belt in it. While the Intruder Dropship, 2 Lightning Aerospace Fighters and both Mark VII shuttles launched to begin a detailed search of the near space, Ms. Campbell used the Invader Jumpships powerful telescope to look for any man-made objects worth a more detailed inspection. Onboard the Intruder Dropship, Lieutenant Sanders had only 2 squads with him, Captain Mitchell had kept 1 squad on the Invader Jumpship with Corporal Davis and split the other squad between the 2 shuttles where he and Master Sergeant Caldwell each took half a squad.

Splitting his limited forces had been an agonizing decision, that left Lieutenant Sanders heavily outnumbered on the Intruder Dropship by the mercs onboard. Out here in a shuttle, he was even more worried about the 2 Lightning Aerospace fighters the mercs had. There was just something about that Major Lockton that rubbed Captain Mitchell wrong, though they had barely spoken to each other. The copilot of the shuttle he was on turned "Mister Mitchell, Captain wants us to return to the Jumpship, says they might have something."

Captain Mitchell nodded and checked his watch; they had only been looking for 3 hours.

Back onboard the Invader Jumpship, Captain Mitchell reached the bridge to find Corporal Davis, Ship Master Kellog and Ms. Campbell hovering over a screen looking at something being displayed. Finally reaching them, he finally could see the image on the screen. Clearly man made, it was some sort of station, but it looked shot up. "What is that exactly?" He asked to no one person.

"I have seen a Snowden Mining Station in the Taurian Concordant and this looks like one, but also different at the same time. Either way, I think it's worth checking out in more detail. Looking at the range, figure a 3-day trip to it. Shall I have Major Lockton check it out or can you perform EVA operations?" Ships Master Kellog replied

"Let's bring Major Lockton back here. I would like to board that station and have a look myself. I have never done EVA though." Captain Mitchell said

"Well then, this will quite an adventure for you. While Major Lockton heads back, I will have my chief engineer give you a class on going EVA and maybe take you outside to check you out before we throw you way out there. I was told to look after you after all." Ships Master Kellog replied

Captain David Mitchell handled the EVA suit inside the Invader well, but when the chief engineer opened the airlock door for a short EVA, he discovered that he could not bring himself to make the step outside. His feet refused to move and his refused to release the handhold he had. Even tethered as he was, knew he was, he just could not move out the door, not even lean out to look around. "It's okay sir, I have been doing this well on for 20 years. Not many can take the step outside into the void. But let's get you back inside and out of that suit."

Once the airlock door closed, Captain Mitchell felt like his normal self and moved freely into the interior of the Invader. It was Corporal Davis who stepped forward next. "I'll give it a go sir."

Captain Mitchell paused "Davis, your vital to this operation."

"Someone has to go over there. I can take Sergeant Chambers with me. He will look after me." Corporal Davis replied

Captain Mitchell looked at Sergeant Chambers "You up for this Chambers?"

"Not in particular sir, but I have never turned down any assignment, not about to start now. Besides, if this plays out like we want, I better get used to this sort of thing. Better now than later." Sergeant Chambers replied

"Okay. Chief, can you assist these two in learning the ropes in an EVA suit like you did me. Then maybe they will actually get outside where I failed." Captain Mitchell said

"Sure thing sir. Nothing funnier than watching ground side folks go EVA the first time. They do some of the craziest things." The chief engineer replied

It took 2 hours to get them both suited up and some training in the cargo bay before the chief engineer once again opened the airlock and exited the Invader Jumpship. Corporal Davis was the first to exit the ship. Floating for the first time in the dark void of space, he felt exhilarated by the sensations. "Oh, hell yeah, this is awesome!!"

"Shut up Davis. This is not that great. Way different than anything else, but remember that string your attached to, could break at any time. Then what." Sergeant Chambers tossed back at him, now outside the ship but moving very slowly, whereas Davis was moving rapidly down the side of the ship unclipping one tether at the same time as he clipped the next.

"Come on Chambers, these suits have little jet packs to help get you back safely." Davis announced as he untethered, aimed his body at the hatch area and launched himself back. His aim was off, and his glove missed the handhold. "Ah shit, I done fooked up."

"I got you." The chiefs voice said as he felt a something grip his tether and he came to an abrupt halt. "Like I said inside, ground folks do the craziest things out here. But you got the hang of it pretty fast, let's go inside now."

Back inside, Captain Mitchell thought about ripping Davis a new one for his risky behavior, but then he thought better of the idea. No need shaking the boy's confidence. "Davis, try to take it easy out there. You're a vital asset I cannot afford anything to happen to. Okay?"

"Sorry sir, I got carried away. Will not happen again." Corporal Davis replied

27 November 3040

"You ready Chambers?" Corporal Davis asked at the door of the Intruder Dropship which was exactly 30 meters from the dark station's open shuttle bay door. One of Major Lockton's people had literally shot across the gap and attached a tether between the two.

"About as ready as I am going to get. Let's do this." Sergeant Chambers replied, following Davis across the gap.

After 2 hours on the dark lifeless station, complete with some bodies, the search team reboarded the Intruder Dropship. Corporal Davis took the offered handset "Sir, we have recovered several ore samples that I think are Germanium. There are 12 old ass Mechs of some sort inside, 2 are floating in the huge bay. The other ten are locked in their service bays. No power, so I could not boot anything up."

"Roger Davis. Excellent work. You folks come back home. We found what we came for." Captain Mitchell replied

30 November 3040

"While you boys were moving to the station and then back here. Ms. Campbell has located 3 more objects. One is the wreck of a Dropship we have roughly identified as a Titan. Another the Aero jocks checked, it's another station like that one you guys looked at. We have no clue what the 3rd object is, we can only see part of it, the rest is blocked by some big ass rocks. Major Lockton will be checking that out. Davis, you and Chambers up for a trip to the Dropship wreck?" Captain Mitchell explained

"Damn straight. If that is what we think it is and who it belonged to, I want some tools and a power pack or power cable of some sort." Davis replied excitedly

"The chief engineer says he can help with that. You guys will be going over on the Mule. The chief engineer is working with the Mules chief to rig something up." Captain Mitchell said

3 December 3040

Once again Corporal Davis and Sergeant Chambers crossed the gap between the Mule Dropship and the wreck of a Dropship. Only this destination was not stable in any sense of the word but spinning in 3 axis slowly. Before exiting, the Mule chief engineer said "Once you're across we have to unhook the tether until it is time for your return. My two folks will stay over and assist you any way they can. Before I unhook, I will send across this crate, it contains several power packs. My people can help get some power restored, but it will not last long, 2 hours tops."

"Well then let's quit wasting time over here." Davis said as he pushed off along the tether.

"Damn eager beaver." Chambers said as he followed, but at a slower pace

Once on board the wrecked Dropship one of the Mule crew said "The entire engineering section along with the reactors is just gone. Huge damned hole."

"Then we head to the bridge." Davis replied.

On the way, they checked several rooms with partially opened hatches but seeing bodies, they quit doing so deliberately. It took 30 minutes for them to work their way to the bridge, having to force one hatch open. On the bridge, Sergeant Chambers noticed the 3 bodies still strapped to their chairs. Davis forced back a foul taste as he unstrapped one body to gain access to the console better. He looked around, around a center area of the bridge, he noticed a circle of emitters along the ceiling and floor. Almost like the holo projectors that show the Solaris fights at fancy clubs, he thought.

Moving to them, he traced the wires back to a large black box. Opening a service panel, he smiled, at least the power hook ups look familiar. Pointing he said, "Can you guys hook up a power feed to this station while I look around a little more?" Davis said to the Mule engineers

Moving away, Davis had traced with his eyes a large bundle of wires leading to an obvious terminal. Opening another panel, he found several drives just like the ones he found. He opened his small carry case and pulled drive 3. Plugging it in he said, "I also need a power feed to this terminal."

Within 20 minutes, several lights had blinked on the long dormant systems. Then the bridge lit up, everyone stared at the massive holo image being displayed. Clearly a star map, Davis thought silently before it suddenly vanished.

"Holy shit, whatever that was drained both power packs like they were nothing." One of the Mule engineers exclaimed

"We have enough. Let's get to the Mule. I need way more tools than what I have with me." Davis said
« Last Edit: 24 August 2022, 12:47:59 by 2ndAcr »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #61 on: 22 August 2022, 20:29:33 »
Woo!  Progress!  :thumbsup:

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #62 on: 23 August 2022, 10:55:13 »
If a blonde appears talking about Iscandar or a brunette talking about abandoning Atlantis they're in real trouble.
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #63 on: 23 August 2022, 15:38:06 »
6 December 3040
Toten (Former OA System)

Utilizing 4 people from the Mule Dropships engineer crew, Corporal Natan Davis had completely removed the Holgraphic display system and literally stripped the bridge of the wrecked Titan Dropship of every computer and data drive he could locate. Some of the systems he could not even identify but he had them removed also. Looking around the now gutted bridge, he wondered if he should, then decided what is the worst that can happen.

"Jones, how about you and Wendell start yanking out any and every weapon system you can find and salvage. Harris, you and Mike yank out anything that looks of value. And I mean anything. But before you do that, head down to the hanger bay and see if either of those Aero birds can be salvaged. If not, we tear it apart for anything of value. No sense leaving this stuff out here." Corporal Davis said then thought better of the last part. "Screw that, one way or another, we take those Aero birds over to the Mule as they are, we can always strip them down over there in the cargo bay."

They spent 14 hours with 4 refills on their EVA suits stripping the wrecked Titan Dropship and getting the 2 Aerospace Fighters transferred over to the Mule Dropship. Moving the fighters took the better part of 4 hours due to the funky movements of the Titan. But they had gotten it done. Now it was time to head back to the Invader Jumpship.

On the Invader Jumpship, Captain Mitchell had been surprised to find that Ship Master Kellog and his chief engineer had boarded one of the shuttles and had gone to link up with Major Lockton at the unknown wreck site. This bothered him and now he was glad that he had pulled all his people off the Intruder Dropship at the last second. He managed to get the bridge crew to call the Mule Dropship.

"Davis, what did we find?" Captain Mitchell asked

"We got some goodies sir, but better to show you." Davis replied

"Excellent. The Mule captain agreed to swing by that first station on the way back. Says you and his folks did a great job recovering whatever you got. Think we can snag some of those Mechs onboard that station?" Captain Mitchell asked

"I don't see why not. We will give it our best try anyway." Davis replied

"Good, no sense leaving everything out here. Maybe we can make a buck off some of it." Captain Mitchell said

10 December 3040

Captain Mitchell did not think anything was amiss when he woke and learned that the Intruder Dropship had return, but the hustle and bustle in the Invader Jumpships cargo bay did pique his interest. Locating the Invaders assistant chief engineer, he asked "What is all the activity?"

"Loading some repair parts sir. Master Kellog radioed a list he wanted made ready for a rapid loading along with select people. Not sure what he found, but he sure sounded excited." The asst chief replied

"Really, thanks." Captain Mitchell said as he maneuvered his way towards the exit. He noted that at least a squad of Lockton's people were armed and seemed to be guarding against any interference. Reaching where all his people were gathered, he said "Lieutenant Sanders, make sure everyone is alert and ready for trouble. Nothing concrete but I have a bad feeling about some things."
« Last Edit: 24 August 2022, 12:48:13 by 2ndAcr »

mikecj

• Major
« Reply #64 on: 23 August 2022, 15:47:53 »
Time to go plant a few remote charges on some important (but not too hard to repair with shipboard resources) wiring harnesses.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf

wolfcannon

• Lieutenant
    • wolfcannon's photobucket album
« Reply #65 on: 23 August 2022, 17:59:52 »
Intruder dropship or Snowden station?  Little confused as you say intruder dropship then say station.
Daniels Avenger                Clan Coyote
General Jennifer Daniels    Galaxy Commander Jim Skyes
                                        Omicron Galaxy
Clan Wolf in Exile
328th Assault Cluster(the Lion Hearted)
Star Captain James Sword

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #66 on: 23 August 2022, 20:04:45 »
Intruder dropship or Snowden station?  Little confused as you say intruder dropship then say station.

Which part Wolfcannon, I need more to go on. Heck I had to go in and correct quite a few Invader and Intruder mix ups.

wolfcannon

• Lieutenant
    • wolfcannon's photobucket album
« Reply #67 on: 23 August 2022, 21:46:30 »
“ "You ready Chambers?" Corporal Davis asked at the door of the Intruder Dropship which was exactly 30 meters from the dark station's open shuttle bay door. One of Major Lockton's people had literally shot across the gap and attached a tether between the two.

"About as ready as I am going to get. Let's do this." Sergeant Chambers replied, following Davis across the gap.

After 2 hours on the dark lifeless station, complete with”

this portion.
Daniels Avenger                Clan Coyote
General Jennifer Daniels    Galaxy Commander Jim Skyes
                                        Omicron Galaxy
Clan Wolf in Exile
328th Assault Cluster(the Lion Hearted)
Star Captain James Sword

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #68 on: 23 August 2022, 22:14:24 »
 They are moving from the Intruder Dropship to the Snowden (not a Snowden) station. Via EVA. AKA space walking.

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #69 on: 23 August 2022, 22:44:35 »
If both the Dropship crew and the Former FedCom troops are thinking the other person is going to attack them, and both are arming up just in case, I predict that someone is going to do something stupid and start a fight.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #70 on: 24 August 2022, 03:13:07 »
Heh... it's right there in the title of the thread...  ^-^

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #71 on: 24 August 2022, 06:29:27 »
If both the Dropship crew and the Former FedCom troops are thinking the other person is going to attack them, and both are arming up just in case, I predict that someone is going to do something stupid and start a fight.
Given that side trip to the Lyran Commonwealth by one of the original trio when the plan was hatched to go for salvage mission was mentioned to that social general. I suspect that could be one of the leading causes of trouble arriving or its been with them the whole time.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

novastorm76

• Recruit
« Reply #72 on: 24 August 2022, 09:56:50 »
Teton system? Is that a typo? I can only find a "Toten" system, a lost OA colony.

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #73 on: 24 August 2022, 12:47:40 »
 Toten, my bad, typo.

Wrangler, no side trip to Lyran Commonwealth happened.

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #74 on: 24 August 2022, 14:29:20 »
11 December 3040
Toten (Former Outworlds System)

The departure of the Intruder Dropship did lower the threat level a few notches, but Captain Mitchell still had some serious doubts. Another day or so and the Mule Dropship would be back and at least all his people would be together again. Entering the grav deck to eat his dinner Captain David Mitchell spotted MS. Campbell sitting alone on the far side of the dining area, so he headed that way.

"Mind if I join you MS Campbell?" he asked

"Not at all sir, please have a seat." MS Campbell replied

After getting himself situated, Captain Mitchell took a bite and grimaced, not the best, but not the worst he had ever eaten. He caught her smiling, so she had obviously seen his reaction to the food, mostly taking his meals aboard the Intruder Dropship alongside his own people. The cook there was much better.

"Hansel tries her best, but she definitely goes light on the seasoning. Here put some pepper on it, a lot." MS. Campbell said

"It's better than field rations, but not much." Captain Mitchell replied while he started laying on the pepper.

"Your definitely not a spacer, so you served?" MS Campbell asked

"Yes maam, AFFS, Infantry. Just got out not long ago. Most of my people served under my command." Captain Mitchell replied

"I figured as much, too many sirs when they speak to you. That first day, after you all had left the bridge, Major Lockton commented that you had military written all over you." MS Campbell said

"Yeah, I have not been out long enough to lose it. Tell me, how long have you served with Master Kellog and Major Lockton?" Captain Mitchell asked

"A year. I did three years on another ship before being transferred aboard here. Master Kellog is a decent Ships Master, but he has been with Major Lockton quite a long time, or so I have heard." MS Campbell replied

"So, what did they find way out there?" Captain Mitchell asked

"No clue, but it must be important, Master Kellog took the people that have been with him the longest. Lead pilot, primary navigator, chief engineer and some of the other lower ranks." MS Campbell replied

"I thought you were the Navigator." Captain Mitchell said

"Normally I would be, but Master Kellog has his favorite. Been with him a long time. I do most of the navigating, except on the really important stuff. Then Mister Dawkins takes over." MS Campbell replied

"Making a jump into an unknown system is not considered important by Mister Dawkins?" Captain Mitchell asked

"Mister Dawkins usually takes over when we are making jumps into inhabited systems, especially in the Periphery. Thinks I might put us on top of another ship. I take over once we have departed an inhabited Periphery system or inside one of the House systems. Only the longest serving with Master Kellog man the bridge when making those kinds of jumps." MS Campbell said

Hearing this, a small voice inside Captain Mitchell's head went "pirates, they are raiding Periphery systems". That means most of the crew do not even know it is happening. Jump in, Major Lockton and his band of thugs make a burn to the target if they find one, make the hit and then scoot back, he thought.

He saw her look up and smile at someone approaching and heard "MS Campbell, making friends?"

"Assistant Engineer Zuniga, please join us. Any progress on that fault we are getting?" MS Campbell said

"What fault?" Captain Mitchell asked

"The drive is down. We keep getting a fault when we run a jump test. Like it is not getting the data from the navigation system. We are tracking it, could just be a computer glitch." Assistant engineer Zuniga replied, "Pass the pepper please."

"When did this all start? Call me curious but we are out here by ourselves." Captain Mitchell replied

"Just this morning, we were running our weekly test on the drive. Once the chief engineer returns, we will be back up and operational. He is one of the best." Engineer Zuniga said, taking a test bite and then putting more pepper on his meal

Sabotage, the voice in his head said. "I have a computer genius with me, he can help you if you want once he gets back." Captain Mitchell said

"Hmmm, maybe when the chief gets back. He is pretty particular about who gets into engineering. I was surprised when we spoke on the radio and told me to use some of Major Lockton's people to help move a few things from engineering. He usually has a conniption fit when anyone outside his engineer team enters engineering." Engineer Zuniga replied

Tomorrow, hopefully Davis will be back, safe and sound. He thought silently to himself. But if we have been sabotaged, what the hell do any of us know about Jumpships.

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #75 on: 24 August 2022, 14:56:43 »
Oooooh... looks like the "What" in "What Could Go Wrong" is starting to rear its ugly head...
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

georgiaboy

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #76 on: 24 August 2022, 15:04:26 »
So they either found another Jumpship or stashed a disabled ship here in this system.
"Constructive critism is never a bad comment"
-Me

"By all means marry. If you get a good wife, you'll be happy. If you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher."
- Socrates

Euphonium

• Captain
  • Look Ma, no Faction!
« Reply #77 on: 24 August 2022, 15:41:06 »
This drive fault sounds like something Lockton & Kellog have modded into the system to make sure noone can jump the ship out while they're not on board.
>>>>[You're only jealous because the voices don't talk to you]<<<<

mikecj

• Major
« Reply #78 on: 24 August 2022, 15:56:54 »
This drive fault sounds like something Lockton & Kellog have modded into the system to make sure noone can jump the ship out while they're not on board.

Definitely.  Pirates trust no one.  The Code is more like a guide...

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #79 on: 24 August 2022, 17:22:29 »
11 December 3040

Four days travel from the Invader Jumpship, Ship Master Kellog floated down the port hallway towards the engineering section of the small ship they had found. Massing 6100 tons, it was the smallest Jumpship he had ever heard of. Not to mention that this one also had interplanetary drives like a Dropship made it especially special. When Major Lockton had made the call, Ship Master Kellog had quickly gathered his chief engineer and taken a shuttle to the damaged ship. Using a power cable from the Intruder Dropship docked with the small cargo bay door, the chief engineer had managed to restore power to the vessel. After running multiple diagnostic programs located in the engineering section, the chief engineer had learned that the vessel had a blown circuit board. Reading the previous ships engineer logs, they had learned that the circuit board was not on board. Locating the blown board, the chief engineer recognized it as a standard for all Jumpships. Knowing his own vessel's repair part stocks, in consultation with Ship Master Kellog, he carefully showed one of Major Lockton's people how to remove the board onboard the Invader Jumpship and replace it with the blown circuit board. Diagnostics had also identified that the Helium seal, though still holding its charge was severely compromised and needed repairs. He had also ordered the spare from the Invader Jumpship brought back too.

"Kellog, we have a problem." Major Lockton said when Kellog reached engineering

Pulling himself to a halt, Ship Master Kellog replied, "What sort of problem?"

"This ship has no docking collar, nor can it carry all my people." Major Lockton said

"Then we leave them behind, they have ample supplies, we can always come back for them. The primary thing we need to do is get this ship safely out of here. Do you have any clue on what this thing is worth?" Ship Master Kellog replied

"Some of those people have been with me longer than I have known you Kellog." Major Lockton pointed out

"So, you want to do what, go back and confront Mr Mitchell and his people? You said yourself that they had military written all over them. What makes you think your band can take them?" Ship Master Kellog asked

"Those folks might be military, but they do not know shit about EVA or Zero G fighting. I watched them, most were like children floating in Zero G." Major Lockton said

"When was the last time your people have even had to use their weapons? Hell, I know for a fact that the last 3 boardings were against simple freighters with no resistance." Ship Master Kellog pointed out a flaw in his idea

"We can take them. The first time one of those folks fires a weapon they will crash themselves into the wall behind them. You saw the weapons just like I did, standard issue Fed Suns rifles, damn sure not what you want in a Zero G fight." Major Lockton said

"They brought on a bunch of packing crates also. We know Mr Mitchell was packing a Needler pistol the second day instead of the standard pistol. Plus, even if you did manage to take the ship, we do not have a spare board to get the Invader jump capable again. Either way, we have to come back for your people." Ship Master Kellog replied

"At least they will have a grav deck to stay comfortable during the wait instead of burning fuel for gravity. Which your chief engineer has already siphoned a bunch off refilling the tanks on this ship. I will lead the attack but a few of my people will remain here with you. It is going to happen this way, whether you want it to or not. Is that clear Kellog?" Major Lockton stated

Knowing he had no way to "fight" Major Lockton, Ship Master Kellog shrugged "Okay Kellog, when the Intruder returns, you go take the Invader Jumpship. We will complete repairs and meet you at the jump point. Is that fair?"

"Fair enough. Then me and you will go fetch a new board and return to get my people." Major Lockton said

16 December 3040

"Here is the problem chief, blown circuit board." Corporal Davis said

"What the hell. No way that board just blew out without making a jump. It tested fine when we did our after jump checks." Asst Engineer Zuniga replied taking the board from Corporal Davis

It had taken 3 days to convince Zuniga to allow Davis to help in the diagnosis but he still trew a wall eyed fit when Davis started opening up access panels on various computers. "When was the last time this panel was opened chief?" David asked

"I would have to check for an exact date but at least a year. We always silicon the inside panel so that the panel itself has to be pried off." Asst Engineer Zuniga replied

"But did you see me pry the panel off or did it come off easily?" Corporal Davis asked

"Easy, way too easy. Someone has been mucking with my baby and that pisses me off. It's dangerous enough out here without someone deliberately damaging stuff." Asst Engineer Zuniga said, clearly agitated

"We got a spare on board? Please tell me you have a spare." Corporal Davis asked

"We are about to tear engineering and the cargo bays apart looking for one. That is for sure. But these boards are known as being very robust. Usually, they get swapped out every 5 years or so during a major overhaul and this ship just went thru an overhaul 2 years ago. You're more likely to blow out a drive coil or helium seal, which is why we carry replacements for those at all times." Asst Engineer Zuniga replied

"Why do I have a very bad feeling about this?" Corporal Davis asked no one in particular

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #80 on: 24 August 2022, 18:22:29 »
Worse than pirates: wannabe pirates...  ::)

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #81 on: 24 August 2022, 19:50:45 »
things are going pear shape...

but the pirates found a Bugeye??
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #82 on: 24 August 2022, 22:07:24 »
22 December 3040

"Sir, the Intruder is heading back this way, I have been keeping a close eye on the Intruder and whatever they are working on out there with the navigational telescope." MS Campbell said

"Have they answered any of our calls for information?" Captain Mitchell asked

"Only that they would soon be heading back to us soon. That was sent yesterday." MS Campbell replied

"So, are we all in agreement that they are up to no good?" Captain Mitchell asked

"It sure is fishy, but I am not convinced yet. Not totally." Asst Engineer Zuniga said

"I have to agree with Zuniga sir, though it smells rotten, Major Lockton's people are not the friendliest people nor talkative." MS Campbell chimed in

"Okay, I will accept that. But do either of you have objections to us being ready for trouble?" Captain Mitchell asked

Both shared looks before MS Campbell answered for the both of them "No sir. Being ready for trouble is only the smart thing to do."

"Okay then. Let's shift the Mule Dropship over to the collar not directly attached to the cargo bay. That will at least force them to come at us from the cargo bay itself. Chief, we might have to pop a hole in your ship, how bad are you going to squeal?" Captain Mitchell said

"Depends on how big a hole you're talking about and what you're trying to accomplish." Asst Engineer Zuniga replied

Captain Mitchell went on to describe what he had in mind to the bridge crew and shortly after that, everyone moved to start making the requested changes.

26 December 3040

The Intruder Dropship mated with the docking collar just like a routine docking. When the Jumpship and Dropships computers agreed that it was safe, the airlock cycled open. Major Lockton led his men out of the Intruder and into the cargo bay, pausing to look around before detailing 2 squads towards one exit, another 2 squads towards the other. He then detailed 2 squads to take the Mule Dropship and the last 2 squads to secure engineering. Watching on a monitor, complete with audio, Captain Mitchell shook his head at the poor planning of Major Lockton. He looked at MS Campbell and Asst Chief Zuniga.

"Either of you doubt their intentions now?" Captain Mitchell asked

"No sir. You say the word and I will pop a hole in the hull and vent that entire space to vacuum." Asst Chief Zuniga replied

"Well then Chief Zuniga. How about you take your revenge on them sabotaging your ship." Captain Mitchell said

"******." Was all he said as he pushed the small button on the small box he held. Inside the cargo bay, there was a tiny bang, just loud enough to cause the closest of Major Locktons people to look in that direction. It might have been small, it did not take much to pop a hole in the side of a Jumpship, but it did its job, and a fist sized hole was punched thru the side of the Invader Jumpship. Immediately alarms started sounding as the cargo bay vented its atmosphere within a minute. Inside the cargo bay, it was a scene of panic as most of major Locktons people scrambled to get turned around and back to the Intruder Dropship, others scrambled to get their emergency hoods on with its limited air supply. No one noticed the squad led by Sergeant Chambers wearing EVA suits move from a stack of crates and enter the Intruder Dropship. They had started moving the second the small POP had occurred. Barely making it inside before the Intruders airlock slammed shut on detecting the out rush of atmosphere.

From behind a stack of low crates, a voice said, "Release your weapons."

Startled and scared some of Major Locktons people opened fire randomly. Lieutenant Sanders nodded to his squad, outfitted in EVA suits. They all rose, quickly picked targets and opened fire with their Needler Rifles. Try as they might to target those still holding weapons, in the chaos, even those that had released their weapons got hit. For many, the fight was over in seconds.

Without taking his eyes off the monitor, Captain Mitchell asked "You're sure the Mule crew are not part of this?"

"98% sure sir. They are Interstellar Expeditions not Major Locktons people. The Intruder is all his though. Want me to do an emergency jettison of the Intruder?" Chief Zuniga replied

"No, I have people on there already." Captain Mitchell said while he thumbed the communicator "Sergeant Bailey, you can move your squad up to the cargo bay door. Make sure everyone is in their emergency hoods and air supply is good. When ready contact Lieutenant Sanders for orders."

27 December 3040

Major Lockton was in pain, his left leg was literally shredded from the Needler fire. His leg was bandaged, but he had been given no pain killers. He glared at Captain Mitchell. "Who the hell are you?"

"Just a simple man trying to earn an honest dollar." Captain David Mitchell replied

"Which military are you in?" Major Lockton asked thru clenched teeth

"Used to be in the AFFS. Infantry." Captain Mitchell said

"Not marines? Dirt eating grunts?" Major Lockton hissed

"Not our normal playground. But we do know how to conduct urban warfare. Not much different out here. There are still choke points. Though having the air sucked out of an entire area is a new one on us. We never had to worry about that." Captain Mitchell replied

"Who the hell would have thought someone would blow a hole in the side of a Jumpship." Major Lockton said before asking "Do you know how badly that could have gone?"

"That was all Chief Zuniga. He made sure the small charge was placed in a certain spot, one that would not enlarge past a certain point. And the hole is already sealed, and the cargo bay has been repressurized. Really should not have sabotaged his ship. He still wants to toss you all out of an airlock." Captain Mitchell replied

"So, your here to gloat." Major Lockton snarled

"Nope. Just curious on what you found out there. What could be so important to take this kind of risk?" Captain Mitchell asked

"A ship. Not like anything I have ever heard of. Kellog was going to leave everyone here. That little ship cannot carry my people out." Major Lockton replied

"So Kellog knew what you were up to? Coming back here for us like you did?" Captain Mitchell asked

"Yes, he was against it. For the record. I got greedy. Dammit can I get a shot of pain killer?" Major Lockton hissed

Captain Mitchell waved to one of his men "Garner, pop him with the good stuff. Knock him out cold, but do not let your guard down." Captain Mitchell ordered as he left the grav deck where they had gathered all the wounded and prisoners. He paused as he reached Lieutenant Sanders "How are our wounded?"

"Just some minor flesh wounds. All from Sergeant Chambers squad on the Intruder. Gonna miss Tanbara though, he was a really good soldier." Lieutenant Sanders replied on their only death during the action.

"Yes, he was. We make sure his mother and father get his share. Make sure I have the details on where to send it." Captain Mitchell said

Once on the bridge Captain Mitchell took the headset from MS Campbell. "Kellog, Lockton failed. We are still here and your next."

The distance caused a delay in an answer until "I told him not to try this. I will send help back for you. I promise on my soul."

"Sir, that ship is moving. Looks to be heading to the Zenith Jump Point. Not sure why, but I am having trouble keeping a lock on it. Lost it sir and I cannot find it again." MS Campbell announced

They got no further communication from Kellog despite repeated calls. They were stranded in an uninhabited system, not on any maps and no one knew where they were. What else could go wrong?

wolfgar

• Captain
  • Wolfson's Heavy Raiders: 3058-3092
« Reply #83 on: 24 August 2022, 22:17:44 »
between a qualified navigator and a qualified engineer you are hardly stranded. everything else is calculations (mostly in the computer) and bodies
Wolf wins every fight but one, and in that one he dies, his fangs locked on the throat of his opponent.

croaker

• Lieutenant
« Reply #84 on: 24 August 2022, 22:36:17 »
between a qualified navigator and a qualified engineer you are hardly stranded. everything else is calculations (mostly in the computer) and bodies

Except that Kellogg appears to have taken a critical component of their jump drive/computer/something with him, leaving them with a nonfunctional damaged unit in its place.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #85 on: 25 August 2022, 03:20:21 »
Time for some micro-miniature troubleshooting and repair...  ^-^

Hairbear541

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #86 on: 25 August 2022, 07:44:12 »
Cpt. Mitchell , is he from the same Mitchell family as in the Quest ?

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #87 on: 25 August 2022, 07:53:46 »
Hopefully, an lost JumpShip of some kind can be located in system.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #88 on: 25 August 2022, 07:55:10 »
Cpt. Mitchell , is he from the same Mitchell family as in the Quest ?
Family name is reused here. You will find 2ndAcr previous stories like the Quest and Fate Can Be Cruel, it pops up.
I edit and make PDFs of those stories.  So I've noticed a pattern.

Ajax_Wolf

• Lieutenant
  • Krampus is the reason for the Christmas season.
« Reply #89 on: 25 August 2022, 10:08:51 »
Family name is reused here. You will find 2ndAcr previous stories like the Quest and Fate Can Be Cruel, it pops up.
I edit and make PDFs of those stories.  So I've noticed a pattern.

Plus I had previously asked this same question, and was told he was not.
Why does everyone "Fire at Will"? Is he really that bad of a person? And what did he do to make everyone want to shoot him?

If a group of necrophiliacs met a group of zombies, who would do the chasing?

Bacon is Life! Even vegaterians eat bacon.

Register