Author Topic: What Could Go Wrong Book Two  (Read 38032 times)

willis

• Master Sergeant
Re: What Could Go Wrong Book Two
« Reply #60 on: 27 February 2023, 22:22:21 »
It would be interesting if in their explorations they came across a complete Prometheus Database, mentioned in fics and also in cannon, a total sum of all the Star Leagues technical knowledge database.

Would they keep it hidden from Hanse, sell him a copy, or develop themselves to be fully self sufficient, this would be a pretty good plot twist.

David CGB

• Lieutenant
« Reply #61 on: 27 February 2023, 22:28:59 »
It would be interesting if in their explorations they came across a complete Prometheus Database, mentioned in fics and also in cannon, a total sum of all the Star Leagues technical knowledge database.

Would they keep it hidden from Hanse, sell him a copy, or develop themselves to be fully self sufficient, this would be a pretty good plot twist.
Not telling would bring a whole world of pain down on them, when Hanse finds out I would not want to be anywhere near them…..
Federated Suns fan forever, Ghost Bear Fan since 1992, and as a Ghost Bear David Bekker star captain (in an Alt TL Loremaster)

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #62 on: 27 February 2023, 22:32:16 »
13 August 3046
Thazi (Independent System)

Professor Hiram Ingram was proud of the technical teams that had been working on the recovered Battlemechs from Onverwacht. They had spent the first six months back from Onverwacht just studying the various parts to sort out what was worth working on and then they had finally begun work trying to reassemble them. Even going so far as taking the various salvaged parts to rebuild 9 additional Battlemechs. But they had finally completed the massive task, adding 57 Battlemechs to the SaRI inventory. As the more complicated work had been completed, he had begun looking over what could be done with the Battlemechs of the 199th Light Horse.

It became rapidly apparent that any changes would be fairly simple to make. The Talon TLN-5V was a simple upgrade, just swap the standard PPC for a ERPPC and it was now a TLN-5W. The Crab CRB-27 was also a pretty simple upgrade, Double Heat Sinks and replace the standard Large Lasers for ER Large Lasers to produce the CRB-27b. They did not have any XL engines to turn the Mongoose MON-66 into a MON-66b, so he started playing with the Merlin, simply drawing up possible upgrades, consulting with the techs until they all agreed with a new variant. He took that to Brigadier General Herbert Horbaugh.

"We can upgrade the Merlin Battlemechs to advanced technology. It will not impact their maintenance needs any, the techs are getting really good at maintaining the systems now. My calculations show that it will take about a month per Merlin, only because we are moving some weapons systems around and adding in others. I propose that we remove the 18 Single Heat Sinks and replace them with 15 Double Heat Sinks. The standard PPC goes away and is replaced with a ERPPC. The right arm Medium Laser is moved to the left arm with the other Medium Laser. We add a Small Pulse Laser to the right arm, remove the machine gun and ammo. Flamer moves from the left torso to the head. We drop the LRM/5 but relocate a SRM/6 in its place to the center torso and the ammo in the left torso. We then max out the armor by boosting it to 12.5 tons of standard plate with the remaining weight saved.

It should have minimal heat buildup on a jumping Alpha but I honestly doubt that will ever be a real issue in an actual combat situation or at least one that can be easily compensated for by the pilot. It increases the engagement range initially while increasing the close in firepower and staying power. The Small Pulse Laser easily replaces the machine gun and is not limited by ammunition for anti-infantry work. The techs and I agree that this upgrade is the best one possible with what we have on hand and no need for outside support." Professor Hiram Ingram said

"I am not sure I like taking a full Battalion offline to make these upgrades. But if you agree to cycle them in, say a company at a time, I will agree to the upgrades." Brigadier General Horbaugh replied

"That is easy to agree to sir. I also want to upgrade the 199th Light Horse Battlemechs, the Talon and Crab's. Those are easy upgrades. Simple Double Heat Sink and weapons upgrades. We can easily complete this while working on the Merlins. We have completed the work on the recovered Battlemechs from Onverwacht and the 199th can swap their CRB-27 for the CRB-27b version. They will only be down their Talons for a couple days." Professor Ingram said

"Make it happen Professor. Leave me a list of what you plan to do and what is available now." Brigadier General Horbaugh replied

Refurbished Onverwacht Battlemechs

3x Thunderbolt TDR-5S
 3x Archer ARC-2R
 14x Thug THG-11Eb
 4x Archer ARC-2Rb
 5x Thunderbolt TDR-5Sb
 14x Night Hawk NTK-2Q
 14x Crab CRB-27b

Proposed Upgrades to 199th Light Horse

Talon TLN-5V to TLN-5W
 Crab CRB-27 to CRB-27b

Merlin upgrade

Linden (Former Outworld System)

"Why does this Shipyard look so different than any other I have seen?" Chief Engineer Vincent Zuniga said more to himself than anyone else as he wandered the halls.

Work crews of locals were being ferried over to help bring the station back to life and perform some long overdue maintenance on the machinery. He was used to a more rounded hull shape on the few shipyards he had been on but this one seemed to be squarer. He stopped to study a hull joint which was covered by a thin plastic strip for some reason. He popped the plastic strip off to expose the joint itself. What the hell, he thought as he looked at what was clearly a thick rubber seal between the two hull sections, held together with a row of bolts and nuts. He knew this was not anything he had seen before, normally all hulls were welded and then pressure tested. Why the seal and why bolts, he thought.
« Last Edit: 28 February 2023, 16:02:05 by 2ndAcr »

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #63 on: 27 February 2023, 23:04:53 »
portability?
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #64 on: 27 February 2023, 23:45:52 »
Expandability?
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Taron Storm

• Warrant Officer
  • Founding Member of Chaos Inc Merc Brigade
« Reply #65 on: 28 February 2023, 00:59:21 »
Modular? Depends on what size ship and where the rss are.

cklammer

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #66 on: 28 February 2023, 09:14:48 »
Testbed?

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #67 on: 28 February 2023, 09:35:24 »
The SLDF bought their shipyards from IKEA?
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

cklammer

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #68 on: 28 February 2023, 09:59:29 »
Those IKEA flatpacks I have to see ...  ;D

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #69 on: 28 February 2023, 11:28:12 »
Those IKEA flatpacks I have to see ...  ;D

It would explain why the Star League made such leaps in computer science - they had to figure out how to store the assembly instructions in a database small enough to be carried by a single dropship.
-Frederick the Great

Euphonium

• Captain
  • Look Ma, no Faction!
« Reply #70 on: 28 February 2023, 12:11:46 »
13 August 3046
Inner End (Independent System)

I thought Inner End was FedSuns not independent, should this be Thazi?
>>>>[You're only jealous because the voices don't talk to you]<<<<

LokiJones

• Recruit
« Reply #71 on: 28 February 2023, 12:32:27 »
It would explain why the Star League made such leaps in computer science - they had to figure out how to store the assembly instructions in a database small enough to be carried by a single dropship.

As long as they can find that little Allen wrench that comes with it, they should be fine.

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #72 on: 28 February 2023, 12:57:30 »
As long as they can find that little Allen wrench that comes with it, they should be fine.

See, that is why the SLDF left all those caches all over the place - they wanted to always a ready supply of parts nearby to replace those missing in the IKEA packages.
-Frederick the Great

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #73 on: 28 February 2023, 16:03:39 »
I thought Inner End was FedSuns not independent, should this be Thazi?

Yeah fixed that. Had something else typed up and changed my mind and switched the story setting but forgot to change the planet. Thanks

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #74 on: 28 February 2023, 17:06:24 »
16 August 3046

Chief Engineer Vincent Zuniga had put the rubber seals on the back burner of his mind while he focused on getting the Elephant Tugs refueled and their fusion reactors back into action. Then it was time to get them both out and RWS Krait, Tracker, into the now clear construction bay. Even after all his time playing with the various data drives, Major Nathan Davis was having trouble navigating the more complex computer system of the Shipyard. A local computer whiz was brought in, and his fingers seemed to blur as they typed in commands, selected options as they came up, until he finally stopped as a message appeared on the screen.

"It says the current ship is not in its memory storage and is asking if we want to download the information stored inside the ships memory storage. Do we" The local said

Chief Engineer Zuniga and Major Davis looked at each other before Chief Zuniga said "Sure, we might need it."

The local whiz answered yes, and another message flashed on the screen, only in bright red. "Warning, Restricted Access, SLDF Override Needed, Insert Override Security Key." The local whiz half turned, "No clue what it is talking about."

Major Davis slipped the "security" key from his neck and began searching for the right slot until he found it. Shrugging he inserted the key and waited. On the screen, the message vanished and was replaced with a new message "Download initiated. SLDF Override Confirmed."

While they waited, Major Davis asked "How did you learn Star League computer language?"

"It is normal code and commands to me. Was taught it as a kid. Same as my father, and his before him and so on. This is a little more complex than what I am used to on the other stations, but the same commands get me to where I need to go, there are just way more options." The local computer whiz replied

"So you learned Star League code as a kid?" Major Davis asked

"Is there any other? It is all I have ever worked with. Same as everyone that has taken basic computer skills in school." The whiz replied

Major Davis and Chief Zuniga shared a look that seemed to say, "We are so going to hire this guy and a few more".

A new message appeared that said "Download complete."

The computer whiz once again typed in commands faster than even Major Davis could follow until the whiz selected "Run Full Diagnostic."

Chief Zuniga watched thru a large plasti steel window as the construction bay seemed to come to life on it's own. Various automated arms began unfurling from their storage areas and extended toward RWS Krait. Extremely bright lights at the very end of the arms appeared as finely controlled cutting torches began removing exterior panels on both sides of the ship to expose the jump core. This station is almost fully automated, he thought to himself. He turned and asked, "How long is this going to take?"

The whiz checked the display and said "According to this, 43 hours until the full diagnostic is complete. It has already completed some checks, it must be talking to the ships systems also."

"Amazing. I wonder what else this lovely lady can do." Chief Zuniga asked out loud

"You want to find out?" The computer whiz asked

"If you can, hell yes." Chief Zuniga said

The computer whiz moved to another computer terminal and started typing in commands. "Let's see, the onboard data storage has four ships listed. Tracker Surveillance, Star Lord Jumpship, Tramp Jumpship and Carrack Transport. If I select one, we will choose the Carrack Transport. It now asks me if I want to preview, build, repair, service. Lets select preview. Okay, now it says that we are short 4,500 tons of Endo Steel for the structure, 135,750 tons of processed Germanium and Titanium for the jump core, no material for the 54,000 ton Transit Drive, 374 Double Heat Sinks, 87.5 tons of standard armor plate, 2 Dropship Collars and a host of other things. Pretty cool, I guess it reads the onboard inventory before it will even let you start anything. I have no clue what most of that is though. Lets see what else it can do." He typed a few commands and went back to a main menu.

"Well now, from here I can see that the Jump Core Forge is idle, Transit Drive Manufacturing is idle, and several other sections that are obvious production centers are idle for lack of raw material. I guess this station is pretty self contained." The whiz said

"Go back to the Carrack Preview please." Chief Engineer Zuniga said as the computer whiz typed in the requested commands.

Chief Zuniga studied the display for a few minutes. "Pull up the Star Lord please." Again he studied the preview information before progressing to the Tramp and then the Tracker. "Thank you. Excellent work." He then left the command deck of the station.

"What was all that about?" Major Davis asked

"If we have the material, this station can build the Carrack, Star Lord, Tramp and now it seems the Tracker. Except it did not list the capital weapons for the Tracker. This station cannot build capital weapons it seems. Small problem, but it can build the normal weapons and everything else. I wonder if every Star League era ship had it's very design information locked behind that sort of security firewall to prevent anyone from being able to easily copy a ship if captured but to enable emergency repairs on any Shipyard that the ship happens to be able to reach. Just one of those fancy SLDF security keys needed to override the firewall security." Chief Engineer Zuniga replied

Taron Storm

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #75 on: 28 February 2023, 17:49:12 »
I wonder if this is a copy of the setup the FedSuns are assembling in Wohka

Wraith_Spirit013

• Recruit
« Reply #76 on: 28 February 2023, 18:08:14 »
Did the Major General (President) Mitchell ever tell the First Prince of the SLDF security keys in his negotiations?   I don't think he did, which gives him a leg up on getting his Jumpship maintenance done. 

Taron Storm

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #77 on: 28 February 2023, 18:21:45 »
Mitchell sent a key with the mobile HPG unit that was sent to New Avalon, but didn't suggest what else the key was for I don't think.

vianca

• Sergeant
« Reply #78 on: 28 February 2023, 18:25:18 »
The question is, can it self replicate and does it have the blueprints of the other stations or not?
O well, atleast it can replicate that ASF factory station, if they bring it into the dockyard.

Yeah, Hanse is going to be irritated, I bet, especially if they offer Hanse to do a deep overhaul of his ships, for him.
Then offering the option to order new ones, when he did accept said offer.

As for that Tracker, will it get back it's original SLDF IFF transponder?
And what about the other Sari (jump)ships?
I can see them putting their other jumpships, into the yard, in order to get their blueprints, downloaded as well, if they have them, that is.
Could it give them the ability to construct SLDF Dropships, for one?
And what about those SLDF modified Snowdens?
Can they see if they can get them checked for a hidden blueprint file?
Because those wrecked ones they left behind, they might be fixable, afteral.
Fun.
Wait, what about that recharge station.
Can they get a readout of it's blueprints?

Taron Storm

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #79 on: 28 February 2023, 18:42:20 »
Sooo many possibilities...

We will see next time on WCGW!

;D

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #80 on: 28 February 2023, 18:49:59 »
Whoah!  :o

I ran out of time to read the 'mech refit plan this morning, and come back to THIS!  ::)

That's a serious boost for SaRI!  :thumbsup:

Paladin1

• Lieutenant
« Reply #81 on: 28 February 2023, 19:33:02 »
Possibly the most valuable ship in that list was the Carrack, especially if SaRI starts making real efforts at building a logistics network in this section of the OA.

It's got the cargo space you need, carries two dropships and most importantly it's armed.  Even without the Naval grade weapons, this thing is no slouch at defense.

I could easily see one or two of these being a core of the SaRI fleet in the OA, especially for things like Germanium and other items that their new production facility is going to need in mass quantities.

The only thing it really doesn't have is dedicated fighter bays, but if you deploy one of these alone, you deserve to lose it.

As for the production facility itself, if it can update it's databanks to include any ship that docks inside it, like the Invaders, Merchants, and Scout that SaRI operate, then there's a good chance that this facility is going to be even MORE important than Davion's Warship yard next door, because this is the support ships that those warships will need to operate long term.
« Last Edit: 28 February 2023, 19:36:31 by Paladin1 »

EAGLE 7

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #82 on: 28 February 2023, 19:39:04 »
The most important thing is can this shipyard copy itself?
“ My Clan honor is bigger than your Dragon honor, and comes in 18 clan flavors.”

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #83 on: 28 February 2023, 20:02:07 »
Indeed!  :o

Moriarty74

• Private
« Reply #84 on: 28 February 2023, 20:13:09 »
Actually I'm ever more interested now in what the other remaining orbital stations they haven't had access to are now.  Is one of them a weapons or armor factory?  All sorts of possible infrastructure that can only add more and more to what they currently have.

Edit: Also, replicating it might not be the best of ideas unless they're going to sell the copies to the FedSuns to set up elsewhere and even then it's going to be dangerous.  Because every major player in the Inner Sphere will go looking for where the new ships are coming from.  And with where Thrazi is located, they won't be able to fend off a serious incursion from the Draconis Combine who will level it all if they can't have it, and that's assuming the ComStar Whackies don't start nuking it all.
« Last Edit: 28 February 2023, 20:16:28 by Moriarty74 »
"Like spirited Eridani stallions chasing after fat, clumsy Luthien cows" Anonymous Rasalhague Journalist, 2749

https://kushialbattletech.blogspot.com/

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #85 on: 28 February 2023, 20:16:01 »
You are not wrong!  8)

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #86 on: 28 February 2023, 21:11:24 »
 Double check where Thazi is located, it is a loooonnnngggg way from Combine space with the OA and Fed Suns between the Combine and Thazi. It is sort of like saying the Combine is being preyed on by pirates from Tortuga.

Just saying.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #87 on: 28 February 2023, 22:10:14 »
If they plug in one of the Vigilants....
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #88 on: 28 February 2023, 22:20:24 »
19 August 3046

"Krait has a cracked core, right down the middle. The stations computer says it can manufacture a new core in 3 months plus another month to cool properly. It needs 39,500 tons of processed Germanium and 14,800 tons of Titanium. Extraction of the jump core will take a month and another month to install the new one. So, figure Krait is down for 5 months. The other repairs needed can easily be completed in that time frame. For a ship hundreds of years old, she is in pretty good shape overall. Funny thing is, we could build a new Tracker in just 4 months. It is easier than extracting the busted core and reinstalling a new core. For comparison, a Star Lord will take 7 months to build, a Tramp will take 6 months and the Carrack Transport takes 5 months to build. From nothing to complete ship.

Normally a Star Lord Jumpship takes about a year to build, the Tramp is not in production anywhere that I know of and no clue how long a Carrack would take. To me, the construction times are astounding for any sort of Jump capable ship. Taking an educated guess here, the construction times are for the cores, building one with the compact core is quicker due to less time forging the core itself. Standard Jumpships, which are mainly a massive core with a hull wrapped around it take longer to forge. If I had total control, we would build nothing but compact core ships, for speed of construction, cargo capacity and the ability to travel in system from a jump point. But that is not my decision." Chief Engineer Vincent Zuniga said to the gathered officers.

"Well Captain Birch, there is your answer. I swore I would be home by December. No way will Krait be repaired by then. The offer to move to Thazi still stands. We would be glad to have you all there with us. What would you like to do?" Major General David Mitchell asked

Captain Marcus Birch was silent for a few minutes as he stared at a spot on the table in front of him before lifting his head to look around the table. "We will move to Thazi and join you. The people deserve a good life, not one where they can barely keep from being hungry and on a strict ration. By the way, I checked Krait's database and a Carrack was armed with 16 NL/35 and 6 NAC/10 and 2 NAC/20 in addition to the smaller weapons. Pretty decent firepower for a cargo transport. Just thought you would like to know that little tidbit."

"I wonder why they would strip the main weapons off the Carrack in the Shipyards database. Would the Star League actually turn Carracks over to civilians? Guess we will never know what they had planned for this design. But it is good information to have." Chief Engineer Zuniga replied

"I am glad you will be joining us. Now we need to figure out how to get everyone and everything to Thazi." Major General Mitchell said

"Once our own Jumpships get back, 3 Merchants, they can help moving stuff. Currently we have 2 Jumbo and 2 Mule Dropships in system to help haul stuff around. There are two Tramp Jumpships also in system but they are busted, Barracuda missiles are not overly kind to jump cores. They have been parked at the Zenith Jump Point for years. The biggest problem will be the habitats, orbital factories and this Shipyard. Taking them apart I would highly advise against. I also hate to leave the Olympus behind, that is where I actually call home." Captain Marcus Birch said

"We really need to get Paul Orlean from next door out here. The other two orbital factories are smaller than those Snowdens. Probably going to need his experience to reprogram the KF-Booms. We have the two out there we can bring back here and mount on something. There are four more next door if you can talk them out of them, maybe a promise to return them after we use them." Chief Engineer Zuniga replied

"Our friend will probably extract a pound of flesh in rental payments because that is going to tell him we found something he will want. Now that he has his own ships going back and forth to Thazi, it is going to be hard to hide this find from him." Major General Mitchell said

"This friend a threat suddenly?" Captain Marcus Birch asked

"First Prince Hanse Davion is not really a threat, but what you have here is going to be like waving a raw steak in front of a starving dog. No telling what he might do. Your not grasping how bad off the Inner Sphere is for technology. Any of the Great Houses and all the Periphery nations would wage a major war over what is here. It is even making me a little cautious suddenly." Major General Mitchell said

"Boulsi. We move them to Boulsi. It puts them out of jump range from next door. Out of sight from their ships entering and exiting Thazi. It's the perfect place for them." Major Nathan Davis chimed in.

"Where is Boulsi exactly?" Captain Marcus Birch asked, suddenly cautious in his tone.

"Nine light years from Thazi. We checked it out already. Almost as nice as Thazi, uninhabited except by several million bison, sheep and goats." Major Davis replied

"You would still be with us Captain Birch, ever since we found it, I have been toying with settling it. I just do not have the people to do it correctly yet." Major General Mitchell said, now warming to the idea.

"Sir, if you will excuse me, while you all work out the details, I want to do some exploring and see what I can find to maybe help us out." Chief Engineer Zuniga said

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #89 on: 28 February 2023, 23:13:19 »
The most important thing is can this shipyard copy itself?

And after copying itself, send one of the shipyards to Vice Admiral Unger and keep the other for SaRI to use.

It has plans to create transit drives and Jump Cores on board, as long as it can get the necessary materials.  Those will be very useful for expanding the FedCom's advanced tech and industrial capacity since there is no training time needed for the computer databases.  From there, see what other sorts of facilities it can build (Endo-Steel manufacturing, Double Heat Sink manufacturing, etc?)

Plus getting a copy of the computer training program used locally.  Everyone in that computer studies program learns Star League software, so I can definitely see getting a copy of that syllabus, putting it in place on Thazi, and sending a copy to the Vice Admiral.

The RWS personnel will enjoy Boulsi.  Fresh meat everywhere, plenty of land for vegetables, and clean water.  Compared to their current home they will be overjoyed.