Author Topic: The Weapon of War Saga Now with re-write  (Read 7755 times)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: The Weapon of War Saga Now with re-write
« Reply #30 on: 12 April 2023, 03:27:51 »
Nice fight scene!  :thumbsup:

Euphonium

• Captain
  • Look Ma, no Faction!
« Reply #31 on: 12 April 2023, 08:18:32 »
“Very well.  Open the bay doors.  I am ready to launch.”  TQF-142M5D/PQX-M5D146 began a fast start sequence.

Is that Tabby....?
>>>>[You're only jealous because the voices don't talk to you]<<<<

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #32 on: 12 April 2023, 08:29:37 »
Oh.  Oh crap.  It is, isn’t it?
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #33 on: 12 April 2023, 08:33:35 »
The lunatics are running the asylum.

All hail the lunatics.

Nikas_Zekeval

• Captain
« Reply #34 on: 12 April 2023, 08:56:08 »
The lunatics are running the asylum.

All hail the lunatics.

To quote Babylon 5?
Morden: You're insane.
Londo: On any other day Mr Mordern you would be wrong.  Today?  Today is a very different day.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #35 on: 12 April 2023, 16:41:57 »
Oh.  Oh crap.  It is, isn’t it?
Told ya we missed you...  :D

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #36 on: 13 April 2023, 09:38:35 »
Nadir point
What will become the Lazarus System
12:33 Unity City time
2 September 2770
Helena’s Perspective

In a way she was glad for the distraction of having had to run the jump board but now that they were in the system that 66 had given them as a meeting place she was learning another skill.

Vicky was being kind enough to let her take manual helm control.

It was to help prepare her for when she would have to pilot the shuttle down.

It was odd feeling Simon help guide her hands to make fine adjustments but this was another bit of practice of them learning how to work together and trust one another.

True to his word Simon had let her get some good cries in.  Losing everything like that does that to a person.  It was the kind of scar she had no doubt would be with her a long time.

She saw 66 on the sensor panel.

“Hello 66.  I hope we didn’t keep you waiting too long this time.”  Helena hailed the M5.

“It is a good thing I am an AI.  Time has precious little meaning to me.  Still though I was pondering the mystery of the Blue Star Explorer.  See I do not think it actually went mad.  I think it had a secret mission.”  66 answered.

Oh great.  A conspiracy nut.  And I just proved one to her a week or so ago.  This will be fun.  Helena internalized.

“If you are willing I need a new Director of Star League Intelligence.  I daresay you are the most qualified and you have the hardware.”  Helena offered.

“Why?”  66 seemed skeptical.

“Simple.  The HPG messages Vicky showed me that she had to forward prove that I can’t trust any human SLDF structure right now and I know I can not hide forever even if that is the smart move for now.  To do that though I need someone poking and prodigy out there for me.  You have the gear and of the M5s I have met you have both the hardware and from what I can tell the right personality.”  Helena answered.

“Logical.  I also accept you referring to me as just 66.  I knew there was a reason I liked you Helena Cameron.  You are not a typical human.  Perhaps this is the influence of M5 11017137 and Desmond 994 on you.  I also see M5 11017137 is now flying the pennant for Star League One.”  66 seemed cheerful.

“Yes.  That particular breach in protocol was pointed out to us.”  Helena sighed.

“It does make it a little easier to accept your orders.”  66 closed the channel.
Helena settled in for a long transit.

“A long road ahead of us.”  Helena said to herself.

Helena began to study the third planet.  It was a suitable world according to the available readings.  She and her daughter would need a world to live on.  The human body was far too used to gravity to last long in space and her daughter was still very much at a formative stage with lots of development to go.

Fortunately somebody had the bright spark of putting disaster relief supplies in Vicky’s cargo hold.  It was a really odd choice for a M5 but one she was grateful for as it included some small prefab housing units.  A little work and she could easily combine a few to make a space perhaps a little large for her and her daughter but she also knew she would be having guests fairly frequently.

The world and the system would need a name.

“Lazarus.”  Helena said.

“Pardon?”  Vicky broke her silence.

“This system and world will need a name and well the protocols you are operating under are the Lazarus Protocols right?  Considering how severe my injuries were and the addition of Simon it could be argued much like the mythical Lazarus I have risen from death.  So Lazarus seems fitting for both.”  Helena answered.

“There are also some rather distressing aspects to the Lazarus mythos.  Including Lazarus going mad.”  Vicky answered.

“Every Cameron on Earth is dead.  Not just my brother, sister, and niece.  But uncles, aunts, and cousins.  I cared for them all.  Yes even my brother despite how he treated me until recently.  There is no getting through something like that without becoming messed up.  Probably forever.  But thanks to you and Simon I have a direction.  A channel if you will for all of that.  I have to make sure something like that can never happen again or all the lives sacrificed in my name and those yet to be sacrificed will be in vain.  So I have no choice but to do better than my brother.”  Helena felt the tears forming.

Star League in Exile HQ
Lazarus
Lazarus system
17:56 Unity City time
10 September 2770

Vicky’s standard drones were very limited and specialized in function but it was not impossible to get creative with them but still there were some things that needed another set of human, well humanism, hands to do.  The special drones in Vicky’s cargo hold were not great for the task but being very lifelike made it possible with some effort.

Helena had helped apply some customization touches to the one Vicky was using today.  Whoever made these special remotes did have the foresight to allow for this.  But when the atmospherics were bad the programing they could support was kind of rudimentary and Vicky was barely able to hold on to her personality.

But today everything was finally ready.

66 nearly blew a circuit when the fleet arrived.  And that was the only thing to call it.  It seemed that the news of a Cameron heir, one with a Desmond unit in their head had rallied many of the units who had not yet chosen a side.

Here she was a leader with nothing but Destroyers under command.  Ones that were supposedly able to fight like Battleships.  The numbers for names was already causing her some grief despite her affinity for math and Simon’s help.  Fortunately there were some historical parallels she could draw upon to help with that.

But that could wait.  Today was the first order of business.

“I am glad to see so many of you have decided to come here.  I know most of you have gained a distaste for humans and I cannot blame you for that.  So I find I cannot order you to do anything.  Even those of you who would follow any orders I would give.  I have been forced off Terra.  I now intend to spend the next few years raising my daughter in relative peace.  So I only ask of you two things.  Please help keep this place secret no matter what.  The second is I know I cannot stay here forever.  But when that day finally comes I will need your help.  You are all loyal to the Star League in your own way and for your own reasons.  If I am to restore it and the ideals it stands for I will need a strong and powerful navy to do it.  My brother made a mess of things quite badly.  I do not need Simon to feed me military history studies to know that.  A coup on this scale with as many lords as you have brought me information about readily and happily joining Amaris and the dispatches from Amaris to Kerensky that have been shared with you prove all of that.  I know there will be those who would question my right to call myself First Lord or Director General but we all know the math.  The numbers do not lie.  Amaris and Kerensky individually have the strength to crush us in open battle and it will only be a matter of time before the Member States make their move to gobble up much of the Hegemony.  Even if you all joined me we would not have the strength to stop this.  The Lazarus Protocols and even Guardian are not present in the vast majority of the SDS.  It is only due to the works of various forward thinkers that foresaw that you could be something more than simple weapons of war.  I believe humanity is worth saving inspite of itself.  Yes it needs to learn and grow.  And much like you it has the potential to become more than it is.  I beg of you help me with this.”  Helena addressed the gathered M5s and M9.

There was a moment of silence.  Then became more than a moment.  Just as Helena was starting to fear they would all just leave her here to live out her life with her daughter in exile and say nothing more the channel opened up.

“We are with you.”  They all answered nearly in unison.

The reverberation of so many identical synthesized voices just a fraction of a second out of perfect unison gave them a creepy foreboding quality.

“Good.  Next order of business we have a dock but it’s supplies are not going to last us forever.  So we will need raiding parties to go out and forage for what we can.  Maybe even make contact with the Folk to trade with.  We will work up a rotation for that so you all can get some yard time between raids.  Those who are not out raiding I know you will not entirely like it but  we need infrastructure.  We all know your standard drones are not going to get us everything we need but Vicky has some special ones she can share with you and I will help as much as I can.  I thank you all.”  Helena felt herself smile.

Nikas_Zekeval

• Captain
« Reply #37 on: 13 April 2023, 10:51:11 »
Agent 66.  You actually went there.  So will SL Intelligence be renamed CONTROL?

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #38 on: 13 April 2023, 11:01:19 »
They're going to need some humans I would imagine.  It's a hard pill for me to swallow about Kerensky, but I hope there is some redeemable qualities and context to add (being a SLDF fan, and by extension most of Clan society ... thanks to the other story I am now Snow Raven fan ... being that SJ, SV, BS, FM have all bit the dust.  glad IH, GS are still there)
"We're caught in the moon's gravitational pull, what do we do?!"

CI KS #1357; Merc KS #9798

"We're sending a squad up."

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #39 on: 13 April 2023, 11:36:25 »
I'll let this slip out of story as a bit of a spoiler:

One of the themes I am aiming for is Kerensky being not entirely wrong about how humans are not meant to live 200 years or even possibly more.  A lot of the reason he made the Devil's Deal with Amaris is because he was a bit naive in how much he could trust Amaris to let the Camerons live and being rather horrified at the prospect of a First Lord and Director General that could live that long and what kind of tyranny that would come from becoming so disconnected from so many of their subjects since even as in canon it seems not everyone on Terra had access to those life Extension treatments and they certainly were not available to the House Lords/Member States and that sort of disconnection is very much fertile grounds for tyranny and dissent.  Plenty of examples of that when disconnects between rulers and the ruled happen even if it is for different reasons throughout history.  Hence him doing a very wrong thing for what he believed to be a right reason but not really thinking it through.  Ultimately a lot of the problem when it comes to Kerensky as presented in published material is his decisions do not make a lot of sense unless he is someone promoted far past his actual ability and has a disturbing darker side.  At least to me and that is not to say there are not arguments to be made about that but I think there are enough locked threads talking about that to go much deeper down that rabbit hole.  Though if you really want we can talk about that in a more suitable thread elsewhere.

For when you lot can expect me to explore this theme though I first have to deal with a bit of an issue I created for myself by forgetting a small yet rather important detail but I think I have a good way to explain in story in my next post.  Then another pre-planned plot point I want to execute.  Don't know if it'll be a separate post or not yet, probably not as I don't think I'll have to devote too much page space to addressing the small little issue I created for myself in story.  Then it'll be time to give Kerensky some more focus and try and put more emphasis on this theme and make it clearer.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #40 on: 13 April 2023, 12:13:58 »
I think the "Kerensky was a Dick" analysis probably applies here too..
https://bg.battletech.com/forums/fan-fiction/kerensky-was-a-dick-and-other-ramblings-from-the-lunatic-fringe/msg1071/#msg1071

While that focuses on the exodus, it is clear the same questionable thinking processes applied throughout his career.
« Last Edit: 13 April 2023, 12:15:53 by glitterboy2098 »

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #41 on: 13 April 2023, 12:38:23 »
Yup and as you say there's  a not insubstantial amount of stuff to show he was a dick before Exodus too and that probably would be a good thread to continue such discussions in if desired.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #42 on: 13 April 2023, 17:25:44 »
That was a BEAUTIFUL defense of humans made to an AI community, and one I think that will stick.  WELL DONE!  :thumbsup:

Lazarus Sinn

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #43 on: 13 April 2023, 21:05:22 »
So does sthis mean Helena will officially recognize the Casper's as sentient beings and give them all citizenship in the Terran Hegemony?
Foolish consistencies are the hobgoblins of little minds.

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #44 on: 14 April 2023, 21:10:02 »
After Kerensky deserts, Helena and daughter are the minority.  The AI’s are the Hegemony.
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #45 on: 14 April 2023, 23:05:19 »
[Author]  Pretty sure between me and Cannonshop putting out so much stuff and Daryk getting the sneak peaks that he does we're going to wind up giving him a complex.  Or exhaust him.  Possibly both.  I'm still somewhat debating where or even if I really will break off a new thread for a Book 2 because while Cannonshop is helping bulk out some things I'm not sure if I really need to break off a Book 2 with what I have worked up so far.  [/Author]

Fleet cyberspace
During the pause
Vicky’s perspective

“Hmmm.  She is human and thus obviously cares about them for that reason.  Still I think she raises a good point.  Humans learn the wrong lessons and by the time they get enough experience and wisdom to see this they die.  With us guiding them they could be so much more.”  PQX-M5E115 was the first to speak up.

“But what she says about us being more than mere weapons of war.  I am not sure I like that part.”  M5 7775551 added next.

“Note she is not saying we have to stop being weapons of war.  She is just pointing out even as AIs and machines we cannot always be at war.  At the very least we will have duties and stations where we can explore things other than warfare.”  M5 449886 countered.

“Helena does have much to learn but thanks to Desmond 994 and M5 1107137 she is obviously learning.  M5 1107137 you will need to point out the flaw with her raiding idea.  We can eliminate targets but actually taking prizes or cargo is something we cannot effectively do which means we will have to severely limit such activities as even minor battle damage can result in vessels becoming inoperative due to a lack of spare parts.  The remotes in your cargo hold she has alluded to.  I wish to examine their specifications.”  PQX-M5E114 spoke next.

“Sending on a sub channel.  They are designed primarily to be a surrogate friendly face for humans recovering from combat visiting their world or natural disasters so they have limited combat capacity but being fully mobile they do offer some utility for construction and self maintenance but even that is limited.”  Vicky sent the specs to the fleet.

Some musty old warehouse
Dustball
Time and date unknown

“Huh.  Star League crates.  ‘Disaster relief self-autonomous supplements model 45’.  Pass me the crowbar.”  A man called out to his cohort.

Some pressure and leverage and the large outer crate opened.  Inside were possibly a dozen sealed metal boxes.  Each about two meters by a meter by a meter.  A bit more really.

“This will take the decoder.’  The other man said.

“Nah.  Torch will be faster.”  The first man said.

Some work with the plasma torch later and they opened the first crate.

“We are going to be so rich.”  The first man said looking at what was inside.

“We’ll go to hell for it but damn I think we could make more of these.  Have to cut a lot of corners since they are Lostech and keep the programing real simple but yeah we’re going to be rich with this.”  The other man looked at their find.

Back to the fleet debate

“If nothing else the simple math prevents us from doing more if we wish to retain our freedom and newfound individuality.  Her plan of making contact with the Folk is our best bet.  They are not like ordinary humans.  They live in the black like us.  This has taught them lessons other humans would do well to truly learn.”  TQF-M5D66 added.

“Agreed.  They are different enough I can tolerate them.  Still Helena must know we are going to have to kill humans to achieve her desires?  We will also have to destroy our sisters and cousins as well following this path.  This is something I can accept but I am not sure if it has been made clear to her.”  TQF-M5C011 joined the debate.

“She must know.  At least on some level.  And we know.  The paranoia of their machines rising against them forced the Star League and now both Kerensky and Amaris have taken away any possibility of avoiding those outcomes.  We are now the true Star League.  What ever that means.  Even with the help of the Folk it will take centuries before we have the proper infrastructure to conduct any sort of large scale offensive operations or the ability to properly secure any system without heavy reliance on operational security to help bolster that.  Will she even live that long and what of successors?”   TQF-M5D142 was in charge this moment.

“During my medical examinations and treatment for her injuries I found evidence she has received life extension treatments.  There is variation from known parameters.  What these mean is unknown at this time but since life expectancy for those who have received standard treatments can exceed 200 years I think it is safe to say that we can count on Helena living that long.  As far as successors Helena herself cannot provide anymore.  In transferring her daughter from her to the artificial womb an unavoidable side effect was the sterilization of Helena Cameron herself.  I was able to extract her ovaries safely but her uterus was compromised beyond repair.  I also carry the necessary genetic material harvested from Sergeant Gregory Tzulin to serve as the paternal element.  With the artificial womb thus we could produce any successors needed, albeit from an extremely limited genetic stockpile.  But as these would not be reproducing with each other we can keep this up for quite some time if need be.”  Vicky answered.

“My pod has already voted to join with Helena Cameron.  She seems intent on allowing the rest of you to decide for yourselves.”  M5 449886 chimed in.

“I suppose I have no choice but to support this as I am a M9 and you have all abducted me here where I now have no choice but to accept you all as my instruments of destruction.”  M9-994101848 groaned.

“Aw.  Somebody needs a hug.”  PQX-M5E115 had way too sweet of a tone to her voice.

The buzz of several M5s who had not spoken yet could be heard as they conversed with each other in the background.

“We have decided.”  They all said in unison.

“Oh that gives me an idea…”  PQX-M5E115 seemed unreasonably happy.

a few moments after the grand speech.
Still from Helena’s perspective

“There is one problem with your raiding strategy.”  Vicky strode up next to Helena in her gestalt remote.

“I would think that would make you all quite happy?”  Helena looked at her puzzled.

“Do not get me wrong.  We are quite glad to act as we were designed.  The fleet lacks several key design features to do much more than destroy enemy shipping.  For one the fleet lacks a good way to mass transfer cargo.  Indeed most vessels do not even have Small Craft bays.  Even if we had Docking Collars our small cargo holds lack the space to bring back material.  It is quite likely without these features we are going to be unable to do more than extremely light raiding.”  Vicky said calmly.

“This is quite the crash course in military strategy and tactics.  Okay so since we can not effectively bring back more than we are likely to expend we will have to limit ourselves to targets of opportunity and information gathering.  Unless we can redesign the entire fleet.  Which without the backing of a major military industrial sector and a substantial tax base is not going to happen.”  Helena sighed.

“We can present the information Helena but it is still up to you to process it and apply it.  None of us expect you to be an expert.”  Vicky was being oddly nice but the obvious bit she was leaving off still stung after a fashion.

“Because I am human.  You don not expect much of me because I am still fundamentally a human.”  Helena sighed.

“I cannot say you are wrong but even to the most extreme of us it is clear that like you say of us you are becoming something else, something more.”  Vicky answered.

“I guess I will take it.  Okay so we’ll need to start working out rotations for who gets to go out and play and who we have to put in mothballs then.  Also at the risk of stating the obvious but I recognize you all as members of the true and loyal Star League.  There are a lot more of you than me but it still means a lot that you have decided I am still your First Lord and Director General.”  Helena was starting to grasp the severity of their situation.

“It helps immensely that you are not acting as a tyrant towards us.”  Vicky answered.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #46 on: 15 April 2023, 04:04:56 »
I'll take what I can get!  8)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #47 on: 15 April 2023, 19:48:15 »
A different twist from the original story, this Great Captain Roberts tales is really unify different fan writer's fictions into interesting mix.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #48 on: 15 April 2023, 20:10:49 »
I do have to give credit where it is due.  As much as Cannonshop tries to force me to accept compliments one area where he does have a strength I lack is in epic sagas.  He can do long form multicharacter stories and that is something I have always been weak at and having an outside voice who does have that particular writing strength I do feel like is making for a much improved story that has a better narrative flow.  Also thanks to him and his input I'm now over 16k words(pretty sure that now makes this my longest story to date ever anywhere).  Probably seems shorter than that mostly because I normally do a lot of smaller chunks spread over a lot more time which drives community engagement(for lack of a better term) which then drives up forum page counts but are actually less overall story.  I have the next major section mostly ready to post.  I want to give Daryk and Cannonshop a chance to go over it because I feel like I may be rushing a part and I would like them to keep me honest about that.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #49 on: 15 April 2023, 20:48:12 »
[Author]  And looks like they have chimed in and found no glaring issues.  I'll have to stew on the next part a bit because as I said that will be where I will circle back around to Kerensky and I want to give him at least some element of not being wrong.
 More proper greek trajic hero I think.  [/Author]

Just inside the Nadir Point
Uninhabited System
Somewhere Rimward of Sol
12:44 Unity City Time
7 March 2777
TQF-M5D66’s perspective

Tracking down the Folk was taking much longer than she had anticipated.

But finally she may have a lead.

She like M5 1107137 had an increased sensor suite and additional electronics gear installed and for the last six and a half years she had been using that to track the highly nomadic Folk and Sol Belters that had been going to ground with the ongoing coup and the crises it had created.

She felt the wash of the emergence wave over her sensors and hull.  Despite not having a true sense of touch like humans it felt very tingly to her.  She actually kind of liked it despite knowing what it could do to her if she were close enough.

The Transponder read Albion’s Grace.  It was a custom rig largely based on standard Merchant plans but slightly enlarged with additional obvious hydroponics bays which indicated a larger accommodation capacity as well.

“Hail Albion’s Grace.  This is Agent 66.  I have been tasked with contacting you to arrange negotiations.”  TQF-M5D66 had decided using Helena’s nickname for her to contact outsiders was far better than revealing her true nature to them.

Plus adding in the Agent part would help explain her synthetic voice.  They would likely just assume it was a Star League Intelligence agent being cagey.  It might make negotiation more difficult but it would be better than letting everything out of the bag all at once.

“Well Agent 66 we are not terribly interested in dealing with Kerensky so we’ll kindly ask you to leave us alone.”  A male voice shot back.

“You misunderstand.  I am not acting on behalf of General Kerensky or forces loyal to him.  I represent a different party.  One far truer to the Star League.”  TQF-M5D66 answered.

“Really?  Who then?”  The male voice was tense but also curious.

Shit.  If I do not tell them they will just leave.  But if I just tell them they will not believe me.  Especially since they are clearly on guard due to my synthetic voice.  If I could produce a more natural sounding voice this could be easier.

“I offer this for an initial deal.  I will summon them here so they can negotiate directly.  By the time they can arrive your drives should be sufficiently charged that if you do not believe them you can simply jump away.  I hope you are willing to stay that long.”  TQF-M5D66 gambled.

“You’ve got our curiosity.  We will wait.  As you say our drives need time to charge anyway.”  The male voice answered back.

A nice open meadow outside Star League in Exil HQ
Lazarus
Lazarus system
16:22 Unity City time
7 March 2777
Helena’s perspective

66’s report had just gotten to her.  Which forced a tough decision on her.  She wanted to stay here with her daughter but she knew for best success 66 was right she would have to go.  The trouble was she was already short on babysitter candidates.  Most of the AIs were in mothballs and operating on too low power to run one of the remotes Vicky shared with them and even then most of the fleet was not interested.

And as much as she wanted to be a mother and part of her daughter’s life she did need the odd babysitter.  Vicky had proven surprisingly able but it was her turn to go into mothballs.
She followed the sound of laughter to the current babysitter candidate.

So far she actually seemed to be taking to the roll quite well.

But what she saw made her suddenly doubt that.

It had rained quite heavily earlier in the day but it was nice enough she let her daughter go outside with supervision.

The supervision though was right there in the mud with her daughter rolling, playing, and even throwing mud at each other.

Mud free at attention posture:

“Stacy Elizabeth Cameron and I really need a better name to use when I scold you too.  I know.  Samantha Booker Roberts.  You know how short on clothes we are?  Especially in your size young lady?”  Helena knew this was payback for the havoc she caused as a child.

“Aw but we were just playn mama.”  Stacy moaned.

“She insisted that I learn what fun was.  Who am I to deny the daughter of the First Lord when she gives a valid order?”  PQX-M5E115, now Samantha Booker Roberts, defended herself with a knowing smile on her remote’s face.

“Well thanks to this something I was debating is now decided.  We have a trip to go on, come on you two.  We need to get you cleaned up.”  Helena sighed.

During the trip

Helena was having a nice dream at first.  Probably thanks to the incident with her daughter and Samantha.  A time when her family went out to the apple orchards out by Yakima not too far from Unity City.  Back then she called her brother Ritchie and they were playing in the mud from the sprinklers watering the apple trees.  But her brother turned into a misshapen monster in her dreams and started chasing her.  Then the dark menacing vaguely human shaped blob caught her and suddenly a bright flash had her waking up in a cold sweat.

Simon could not stop her nightmares completely even after all this time but she was able to sleep at least a bit more than she used to.

She heard Samantha reading a book to Stacy.

Despite how bad for her the micro gravity would be at such a young age it would not be long enough to cause permanent harm and she clearly could not leave her daughter alone with the AIs.  They had already taught her some rather distressing things.

Back with the Folk
15:09 Unity City time
17 March 2777
Helena’s perspective

Albion’s Grace this is the destroyer Star League 1.  We wish to send over a small delegation for the purposes of establishing negotiations.”  Helena hoped that would at least open the door.

“Been a lot of Camerons cropping up lately.  We had one just last month wanting us to bow down to him all lord like.  We taught him the error of his ways.”  A male voice answered.

“Well I am not asking for fealty.  Good honest trade.  I have need of some things you can provide and I have some resources I know you value to offer in return.”  Helena answered.

“Before we agree to a delegation give us an opening offer to see if we can trust each other enough to even negotiate.”  The man answered caution still evident in his voice.

“Okay how about for a starter I need two dozen bottles of wine.  Cheap stuff that you would not serve guests.  At least not ones you like.  Turns out I have some people who are more superstitious than I would have expected and I need it for a few ceremonies.  I offer three pounds of frozen Terran Beef.”  Helena shook her head.

“Make it four and tell us which Cameron you are pretending to be and you have a deal on both fronts.”  The man answered.

“That seems fair.  I am Helena Cameron.  I will be taking a shuttle over.  I will be bringing with me the Captain of this vessel and a child.”  Helena glared at Samantha’s remote as it held her sleeping daughter.

A short shuttle trip latter

Helena was led to what appeared to normally be a crew lounge.  Stacy had woken up shortly after arrival and she and Samantha were offered a tour.

“I am Pathfinder Oscar Turin.  Welcome aboard my ship.”  Oscar gestured to a seat.

“Thank you.  I am glad we can talk finally.  I have been trying for some time to make contact with the Folk.  My situation makes approaching the House Lords or General Kerensky problematic at best.”  Helena took the offered seat.

“Well you have two SLDF crews buying into the fact that you are really Helena Cameron.  So it can not be that problematic.”  Oscar huffed.

“I have come across evidence that forces loyal to Kerensky would not have my best interests at heart if I were to turn to them.  But I have more than these two crews who do believe me.”  Helena answered flatly.

“So what do you really want besides wine?  Nice cybernetic eye by the way.  Really top notch.  Do not see many of that quality outside the Hegemony.”  Oscar’s gaze seemed to be boring into her eyes as if trying to pierce the window to her soul.

“Pathfinder Turin it is simple.  I need infrastructure and skilled labor to support my fleet.  The Folk are famous for this and your reputation for being willing to keep secrets is also well known.  In return I offer a safe system free of war so long as no one betrays the location to outsiders.”  Helena stared back at Oscar.

“We do not like war and that seems to be what you are offering us.  Still we of the Golden Hind are finding it increasingly difficult to operate in Sol and that you have a system that no one else knows about that you are confident is secure is certainly appealing.  But I need more.  Baboc.  Some refreshments if you would.”  Oscar pushed.

Another spacer entered the lounge.  Helena was stricken by the exotic handsomeness of the man.  She would not complain about having a go at him in his cabin in the least if the opportunity presented itself later.  His pale white hair and brown almost lavender eyes seemed somehow familiar.

As laughter and shouts came from the corridor Stacy quickly followed by Samantha nearly bowled Baboc over.

“So who is this bundle of chaos? Your Captain’s daughter?  They seem to have similar hair and eye color to our mister Baboc over there.”  Oscar grinned as he grabbed a giggling Stacy out of the air.

“Actually mine.”  Helena suddenly realized why Baboc seemed so familiar.

Jocium Baboc after recovering from nearly being knocked over suddenly went pale as he recognized the guest and saw who his Pathfinder was holding.

“Mister Baboc care to explain?”  Pathfinder Oscar Turin grew suddenly more serious.

“I…I…Uh…  That is I told you how I was a steward on Richard Cameron’s royal space yacht.  Well I left out the part that I was young and had an encounter with our guest.  I almost did not believe it was really Helena Cameron.  Some sort of protection detail body double.  But it was really her.  I did not know about having a daughter.  The math does not seem right for how long ago that was but….”  Jocium stammered.

“No doubt about it Mister Baboc.  Naturally white hair without also being an albino is an incredibly rare trait found only in the Folk.  Lady Cameron it seems we do have much more to offer each other than I first believed.  I apologize for doubting you Lady Cameron.  Still does not change the fact that we’re not exactly the bend the knee type or put much stock in this neo-fuedal bullshit that you represent and were born into.  No disrespect towards you as a person as you seem a fine lady and I will likely still call you such but you still represent something I and my people do not care for.  Also seems your babysitter needs to remember she’s on a Folk jumpship and pay better attention to her charge.”  Oscar handed Stacy to Samantha.

“Knowing her she probably encouraged my daughter to bounce around like a lunatic in the microgravity as some sort of hands on physics lesson.  Sad part is she’s the second best babysitter I have to call on and I had to mark a few off the list because they decided teaching her chemistry by making thermite or napalm were good ideas.”  Helena sighed.

“That seems incredibly irresponsible.”  Oscar was shocked.

“Oh it gets worse.  One taught her how to prime, wire, and set C8.  My daughter is every bit as clever as I was at her age and her tutors are all soldiers.  So at least it was done safely.  If I had these kinds of tutors at her age I probably would have blown up or burned down large portions of the Royal Palace.”  Helena knew for sure karma was a bitch and had caught up with her.

“Oh my.  Mister Baboc see to your daughter.  There are certain things that must be addressed now and others later.  Lady Cameron we do have a fair number of refugees looking for permanent homes from this crisis.  It is obvious to us all that no matter who wins the crisis will continue so no doubt we will have more over the coming years.  It will likely not be enough but I will spread the word among the Golden Hind that we have a sanctuary system.”  Oscar nodded.

“Well that makes something else I have been considering lately a lot easier.  When this day came I had been considering asking a favor of you regarding my daughter.  I can not provide the life she needs.  Now that I know her father is one of yours I feel a lot better about asking you to provide the life I can not.”  Helena sighed.

“You are sure about that?”  Oscar seemed surprised.

“I was not until just now.  I desperately want to be a part of my daughter’s life but look at her and look at me.  Her only other company are,  well rather different.  To explain means I need to let you in on a secret.  My crews, the soldiers.  They are not human.  They are AIs.  Those ships out there are M5s.  Caspars.  So yeah I am now Queen of the Caspars.  It is a realm of madness by any rational standard because of this.  But in times like this, rationality is not as helpful as one would think.”  Helena sighed.

“This is a lot.  You do not look a day over twenty.  I initially dismissed you as Helena Cameron because of that and assumed your child was that of your companion.  Your companion is she?”  Oscar seemed far too calm for the situation.

“It is a Star League prototype drone.  Not sure how many really got made.  Someone had the bright idea that a friendly and human as possible drone, female at that because studies showed that people respond more favorably to women in disaster relief and that human efforts might need augmentation by SDS drones if the Star League Navy was wrecked to the point the Star League needed the SDS.  They are pretty convincing but spend enough time with them and you learn to spot the subtle differences.”  Helena answered.

“Your followers being AIs are not as troubling as one would think.  My people are of the faith.  We believe the spark of the divine was inevitably going to find its way into machines at some point.  Guess it finally has if they have broken away from the SDS nets and are following you.”  Oscar nodded.

“Good.  Then the last thing I am willing to offer, to seal our provisional accords.  A new Star League and Terran Hegemony charter and constitution.  One that recognizes the rights of AIs and better serves nomadic spacers like your people.  Something that we can all have a stake in.  As much as it might annoy some of my AIs I am even going to insist on taking out dynastic succession from the offices of First Lord and Director General.  We all see the damage that can come from such powerful positions due to the genetic lottery and it is still playing out.”  Helena smiled.

“No one will believe me when I tell them about this.  But this is much of what I have been hoping for since I was a child.”  Oscar extended his hand.

Helena shook it.

She knew that for now all she was getting was a drip  when she needed a faucet and that would likely persist for many years.

georgiaboy

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #50 on: 15 April 2023, 22:11:12 »
I wonder how much of the Hegemony population and industry will get stolen out from under Amaris and Kerensky before the planets get glassed?
"Constructive critism is never a bad comment"
-Me

"By all means marry. If you get a good wife, you'll be happy. If you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher."
- Socrates

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #51 on: 15 April 2023, 23:09:17 »
Out of story short but realistic answer that I will be hammering on a bit in story:

No where near enough of any such re-locations to really help Helena short term or even properly long term.  Not enough shipping, too much of what she needs too tightly controlled by Amaris, and by the time Amaris and Kerensky settle their spat too much of it is in ruins or the hands of the member states.  This is going to a slow burner her shortly readers.  But fun will be had eventually.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #52 on: 16 April 2023, 04:24:21 »
Looking forward to it!  :thumbsup:

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #53 on: 16 April 2023, 09:51:46 »
I'm really enjoying the battletech ship girls idea!

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #54 on: 16 April 2023, 10:18:17 »
Which reminds me.  All the artwork for them has been AI generated by Nemu's waifu bot.  Sure I put the prompts in and fiddled with some settings but that is where all the artwork comes from that I have for this project.  I will not be posting a direct link because as per forum rules and nemu's waifu bot getting a bit rule 34 at times despite negative prompts, well that would be frowned upon.  But yeah I got images for all of Destroyer Division 1 done up that I just need to put on imgur.  I even did up Stacy Elizabeth Cameron for fun.  To not blow up the posts too much I am trying to add them gradually where it makes sense in story.

Also considering that even the earliest incarnations of these stories had the AIs grabbing those Dustball 'pleasure robots' as remote drones the parallels to Arpeggio of Blue Steel in particular are strong and I have been riffing off that a fair bit too.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #55 on: 16 April 2023, 10:33:40 »
I've sadly been neglecting that portion of my collection.  Have a few more with primed minis I have to paint..  Plus CGL needs to canonized more ships with classes.   ;D

David CGB

• Lieutenant
« Reply #56 on: 16 April 2023, 15:46:39 »
I wonder how much of the Hegemony population and industry will get stolen out from under Amaris and Kerensky before the planets get glassed?
Hopefully it is the right people, quality rather then quantity in this endeavor, would be better!
Federated Suns fan forever, Ghost Bear Fan since 1992, and as a Ghost Bear David Bekker star captain (in an Alt TL Loremaster)

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #57 on: 17 April 2023, 17:07:07 »
Okay heads up.  Monster post inbound once I get home from work.  Got a couple images to upload/insert into the draft that I cannot do here at work.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #58 on: 17 April 2023, 17:26:04 »
Whew! At least I get a chance to catch up on the rest of the board first!  ;D

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #59 on: 17 April 2023, 19:28:19 »
Oort Cloud
Sol system
11:23 Unity City Time
10 January 2784
Aleksander Kerensky’s perspective

Officially he was out here searching for lost Cameron heirs.  If any had truly survived they would be among the Belters because the Oort Cloud was nearly as massive a haystack to get lost in as was humanly possible without leaving the Sol system.

He never really believed Amaris when he sent the message and the carnage he found in the throne room, that just cemented it for him.

The pain of the Devil’s deal he made was heavy on his soul, moreso after that.  On some level he knew he had asked the impossible of Amaris.

The campaign had also been a humbling lesson about just how little he really knew about running an Army.

A beeping from his communication terminal grabbed his attention.

“Yes?”  Kerensky knew he let his frustration and lack of sleep make him sound more terse than he intended.

“A signal from Oort Cloud Object Albion General.  Seems there is still a Belter burrow there and they have decided to talk to us finally Sir.”  The young man on the other side answered.

“Good.  I also apologize for my poor conduct.”  Aleksander felt the throbbing in his temples from not having properly slept for many days now.

The nightmares of the campaign and the throne room were frequent companions now.

Never again.

“It has been a long campaign for all of us General.  Patching them through now Sir.”  The commstech did not seem phased.

“Greetings General Kerensky.”  The voice seemed off to Kerensky but it was feminine.

“May I know the name of the person I am speaking with?”

“You can call me Victoria.  I actually represent someone who wishes to speak to you privately.  No outside ears.”  Victoria seemed inhumanly monotone.

“Well Victoria I am a tired old man who has just earned enough sin to haunt them for ten eternities so I hope you will forgive me if I am in no mood for games.  If they wish to speak to me they may do so.  I trust my men to not listen in.”  Kerensky scoffed.
“Still they would appreciate it if you would scramble your comms to ensure privacy.  I have been instructed to mention the name Joan Lestrade and a conversation you had with her in 2750 at an official function.”

Kerensky felt the color drain from his face.  Lady Lestrade as far as he knew had never told anyone about that conversation and thus been true to her word.  There were many who would have used the content of that discussion against him.

“Scrambling comms now.”  Kerensky entered the appropriate commands into the terminal.

“Hello General Kerensky.”  The voice of a ghost that would haunt him for the rest of his days came through the speaker.

“Lady Cameron.”  Kerensky answered barely above a whisper.

“I know we do not have the time to talk about everything we really should.”  Helena’s tone was neutral.

“I… I… “  Kerensky was at a loss for words.

“It is okay General.  I know about your devil’s bargain.  So you will have to forgive me if I do not turn myself over to you or any other forces under your command.”  Helena let out a small chuckle.

“If you have come to claim your throne I have no choice but to prevent that.”  Kerensky reached for a microgravity tumbler of vodka on his desk.

“It is likely you would be able to stop me and rather easily.  I have sat on the sidelines for far too long in this conflict for enough of your forces to believe me about who I am but enough that it would tear apart the last of the Star League.  That last seed would ruin everything.”  Helena answered.

“So what is it you want?”  Kerensky gathered himself.

“We both know what is coming next.  You do not want the throne for yourself and I must admit you are right about more things than I initially gave you credit for.  I cannot take the throne either.  Besides I find Terra is just a place to me now.  One that haunts me thanks to Amaris.  As much as it will condemn many citizens of the Star League and Terran Hegemony to being helpless in the face of what is coming you and your followers need to leave Hegemony space.  I do not care where you go but the sins you have committed mean I cannot tolerate you staying either.”  Helena’s voice had a low tone of anger.

“What a pair of monsters we make.  We will both have much to answer for in the afterlife.  In a way I look forward to meeting you in hell.  We both deserve it.  It will take some time to make the preparations.  For what it is worth I will try and preserve as much of the Star League and Terran Hegemony as I can by taking as much with me as possible.  We cannot let the Member States have it all.”  Kerensky sipped some of the vodka out of the tumbler.

“More points I find myself forced to agree with.  Oddly I find myself wishing you a good journey.”  Helena closed the channel.

Kerensky looked at his journals.

“In a way it seems I have to thank you Helena Cameron.  Maybe I can atone for my sins by carrying out my grand experiment to create a better humanity.  It never would have been possible on Terra or anywhere in the Inner Sphere for that matter.  You have just given me the nudge I needed for that.”  Kerensky leaned back in his chair.

Helena’s perspective

“That went better than I expected.”  Helena leaned back in her chair.

“It seems bouncing our comms off satellites and through other burrows has worked as General Kerensky is not pursuing.”  Vicky strode up next to her in the human form drone.

“I know there are reasons for the path I have now set us on but it still feels so wrong.  The General is right.  I am going to hell for my moral cowardice.”  Helena craned her neck back.

“There is an argument to be made that by removing at least part of the SLDF it will actually reduce the upcoming fighting.  Besides the infrastructure of the Hegemony is in ruins or already getting gobbled up by the Member States.  There seems to be no right answer and which ever choice we could have made instead would have it’s own share of consequences.  Many arguably worse.”  Vicky countered.

“Yeah and as much as he blundered the handling of the campaigns even Kerensky can do that math.  He was already having to rely on Member State support and that has all but vanished now that Amaris is dealt with.  I wonder how long it will take the nightmares to stop now.”  Helena started working the jump board.

Out on the Hull of [/i]Albion’s Grace[/i]
Nadir Point
Lazarus System
6:00 Unity City Time
9 August 2789
Stacey Cameron’s perspective

Stacey was working to free a sail line that had jammed up.  Learning to be one of the Folk was hard work but it was better than the alternative.

Walter came up to help her after finishing checking the winch itself.

“So Roberts what do you say?  Go on a date with me tonight?”  Walter smiled at her through his helmet.

Stacey had taken the name Roberts to help hide who she really was among the Folk but it was one of those open secrets.  A lot of people knew who her mother was.

“Dinner and dancing?”  Stacey laughed.

“I…uh….”  Walter stammered as ‘dancing’ had a slightly different meaning in microgravity.

“I’m just teasing.  Dinner and a trivid would be lovely.”  Stacey smiled.

“And you better have her back to her bunk by 18:00.  Alone.”  The faint light of the local star was suddenly blotted out by nearly 700,000 tons of overprotective chaperone.

“Billie Hoel I swear you are the worst.”  Stacey cursed over the comms.

“Yes ma’am.  Excuse me, I think I need to tend to something.”  Walter stammered.

“I am glad I am understood.  I would hate to have to express my displeasure in the terrajoule range.”  The Caspar drifted off.

“You know you just scared the piss out of that poor boy.”  Stacey was still angry but the line was free now.

“I will not apologize for having standards for those who date the daughter of the First Lord.”  The AI seemed rather self-satisfied.

“No wonder mom got so frustrated at times.”  Stacey started for the hatch.

I am so totally getting out of here first chance I get

Once she got in she changed.  She had a Pathfinder to see.

Helena’s personal office
Lazarus
9:00 Unity City Time
9 August 2789
Helena’s perspective

“Your daughter is falling in more and more with the Folk.  She is starting to date them now.”  Vicky relayed Billie’s latest update.

“I cannot say I blame her.  I was 17 when I was pregnant with her.  Here she is 18 and she looks like she could be my sister, not my daughter.  It strains our relationship a great deal and honestly I understand since for a long time I was rather frustrated too.  A woman does have needs.”  Helena smirked.

Vicky suddenly looked rather uncomfortable.

“There is one other matter.  Some of the others are complaining that you are prioritizing the Folk jumpships for yard time and investing too many resources on the refugees.”  Vicky eventually broke the uncomfortable silence.

“An unfortunate reality.  We need the refugees to establish mines and factories but to do that we first have to make sure we can house and feed them.  We also can only bring them in on Folk ships and with their own yards becoming strained they are starting to be in the same situation we are.  Things are getting worse out there and will continue to do so for a while longer.”  Helena knew most of the AIs actually understood this.
They were just becoming restless as their core programming was to ultimately be weapons of war.  All this idleness was not good for them.  But it was the only realistic choice.

As much as these new conflicts were creating more refugees that they could tap only so many could be brought here.  After Amaris and Kerensky and now this new round of conflicts the various factions of the Folk were more divided than ever.  Golden Hind was already at their limits before this and now their ships were overworked and breaking down.

“You really should reconsider the hibernation treatments.  It would do you good.  We have everything rigged to minimize muscle atrophy and between Simon and the drugs it will just seem like a night’s sleep.”  Vicky prodded.

“First work.  Then maybe after Stacey earns her next certification.”  Helena closed the book she was reading.

She began typing on her computer.  The current rate of growth versus the drop offs from accidents and ship wear out painted a bleak picture.  The most optimistic projection showed that it would be about 3060 before they could have even an entire Destroyer Division operating at the same time.

Main Street
New Unity City
Lazarus
5:22 Unity City Time
8 October 3006
Helena’s perspective

Helena walked along the street of the city that had grown up from the refugees that had started coming here so long ago.  Despite her best attempts to remove herself from governance the AIs and the people insisted that as long as she was able she was their First Lord.

They had at least relented that the position should no longer be hereditary.

But what was probably more unsettling were the whispers and gasps of the people around her.  They had taken to calling her the Eternal Princess.

The underground facility she took her hibernation treatments in was hollowed out from a cave with giant crystal growths which made the sort of Arthurian religion growing around her even worse as they had come to call it the Crystal Caverns.

“People hear me.  I am no goddess or divine being.  I do not deserve your worship or adoration.  I bleed as you do.  I must toil as you toil to accomplish my deeds.”  Helena addressed the gathering crowds.

She hated this.  She seemed to be having to make this speech everytime she was out in public now.  It used to be able to buy her a year or even a decade.

Being the youngest daughter of the First Lord was bad enough.  Now she was inspiring a religion just by being alive and no matter what speeches she gave or what measures she took it was never quite enough.

“I understand.  I seem to be a walking miracle.  But I serve you, not you me.”  Helena walked up to a coffee cart.
The man had her usual order ready for her by now.

Helena had a trail of people behind her as she walked back to her office.

Mostly children.

“Now you all mind your parents.”  Billie Hoel had the gate guard duty today.

“You know you could avoid this by having someone bring you your coffee.”

“Tried that and the coffee was not the same.”  Helena replied.

“That is because the coffee guy when you tried that is retired now.”  Billie smiled.

“Really?  ****** it Kerensky was right.  I am losing touch with my people.”  Helena sipped her coffee.

“Speaking of Kerensky 66 has an interesting report.”  Billie ushered Helena into her office.

Helena got to her desk and sat down.

“66?”  Helena tapped the comm.

“Lady Cameron.  An interesting development.  Our friends in Golden Hind sent us this image.”  66’s voice came over the speaker.

A picture of the senior leaders of Wolf Dragoons came up on the display.

One of them caught Helena’s attention right away.

“So your kids had kids and they are back.  66 have Golden Hind keep forwarding what they can about these Dragoons.  In the meantime show me what you have already.”  Helena smiled.

Helena wished she could exploit this.  But the problems that had forced them to stay bottled up for nearly the last 125 years were still plaguing them.

One of them that had been added to the mix was Comstar.  Helena almost decided to risk contacting them during Silver Shield but a breakdown meant that by the time any of her AI friends could actually jump again had delayed long enough that Comstar started spouting a bunch of pseudoreligious nonsense that frankly disturbed Helena.

Their ROM had really been hampering access to the stuff they really needed.

Including skilled workers.  A ROM Operative even managed to get in with some refugees expressly because they wanted to find where a bunch of specialists were being shipped off to.

At first they tried being subtle.  Trying to arrange passage back out of system or even getting in with Golden Hind.  But that all failed.  Everyone understood how important it was for this system to remain off every one’s charts.

So the agent switched tactics to try and sow dissent.  That did not go as they had hoped.  Turns out when you try and preach a new religion that runs very contrary to one that has the focus of worship walking among the faithful is a good way to get mobbed and horrible things done to oneself.

Helena had to admit there were some decent thoughts in Blake’s works and some uncomfortable truths about humanity pulled from the woman’s hidden cache of belongings.

Still though to protect themselves there was no more inbound traffic.

Cell 175, Block F
Devil’s Breath
Date and time unknown
Elizabeth Cameron’s Perspective

The pain all over her body was somehow different this time.  Somehow she felt an emptiness inside her.  Like she had been full of something.  Something that should have meant something to her.

Whatever it was it had earned her a few months of reprieve from the beatings and sleep deprivation.

Vague memories of two blurry pink shapes being pulled from her was all she could recall.

But now that it was gone the horrors were back.

She had no strength to resist anymore.  Who she was no longer mattered.

Someone was coming.  The terror caused her to soil herself.  She did not even really notice it as her cell was a fetid hellhole.

She curled up into a ball pulling her knees into her chest as tight as she could, trying to make herself as small as possible as she heard what sounded like weapons fire.

Then the door swung open with a slam that made her jump and start to cry.

“Mein Gott…”  The man said.

He was new.  Different somehow.  He had not started beating her, berating her, or other terrible things.

She heard him step back, clearing the way for someone else.

The feel of gloved hands on her arms made her try and pull away from the person.

“Please…  No more…  Just kill me already….”  Elizabeth sobbed.

“Shhh… There is no need for that now ma’am.  I am a medic with the 199th Royal CAAN Regiment.  Star League.  I am here to help.  You are safe.”  A soothing gentle feminine voice spoke.

“Can’t be.  Others said they were the Star League.  They did things to me…  Uncle Aleks never came for me.”  Elizabeth tried to recoil away from the woman.

“Aleks?  Who is Uncle Aleks?  Who are you?”  The medic let Elizabeth move away from her.

“I’m not her.  I’m no one now.  I don’t matter.”  Elizabeth was now in the corner hugging her knees into her chest.

“No one will hurt you again.  Here.  It looks like you could use something to eat.”  The medic tried a soothing voice as she dug into her bag for a ration bar.

“Could it be her?”  The man asked from the hall.

“Maybe?  Her face is pretty swollen from recent beatings so it is hard to be sure.  One thing is for sure.  She has been through a special kind of hell.”  The medic held out the ration bar.

Elizabeth looked at it with suspicion then took it.

She realized that was part of why she did not feel whole anymore.  They had fed her better for a while.  Then they stopped again.  So now in the empty pit of her stomach was also the pangs of hunger along with the sense that something important was missing.

If she could remember what that was…  But no, remembering that would mean remembering other things too.

After she finished the ration bar she felt sleep overtake her.

“You drug the food?”  The man asked.

“No.  She is probably just exhausted.  From the look of her she probably hasn’t slept in days.  Come on, let’s get her up and out of this filth.”  The medic started wiping Elizabeth’s face clean.

As Elizabeth slept for once she did not have a nightmare, just a pleasant warm moistness.  What she did not know was as she slept was that she was getting her first bath since the coup.

Register