Author Topic: Strategos Concludes!! (a Great Captain Roberts story)  (Read 20681 times)

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Strategos Concludes!! (a Great Captain Roberts story)
« Reply #60 on: 04 June 2023, 22:45:31 »
[out of story]

EVERYBODY has done "Evil Devlin" in fanfics.  Probably because of the gilding he was given by Wizkids was cloying, and it only got worse later, after Catalyst became the primary holder.

so, it's been done right into the dirt.  Since I'm trying something new-a long ass story without the Ngos? yeah, that's new...I'm going with LOTS of new things, like "Maybe let's not make Devlin Stone the badguy?" in a post-jihad context.

[/out of story]
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

cklammer

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #61 on: 05 June 2023, 03:39:44 »
... and it working well as it does not distract from the tale IMO ...

DS is just another major player being a minor character ...

That sentence about ethics I did copy into my snippets ... any r/l citation source if possible, please?  ^-^

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #62 on: 05 June 2023, 08:21:34 »
In a Dark Alley

Daoshen hated this part…

He'd hated it all the way from Sian.  He'd hated every single one of the jumps, at least.  The images and false memories were upsetting, distracting, and at times, terrifying.

But, it would all be worth it, to have his father back.

He slid his hand over the insulated cover of the cryosleep chamber.  I wish I could do more, Father.  I wish I was the man you are.

Culmia had proven a slight distraction, as the foreign dignitary touring the disaster site, or the visiting VIP absorbing media attention and schmoozing with locals.

Proving the Confederation could be generous, even to distant strangers in a distant land.

"What does the news have for us today, Lian?" he asked his aide.

"They have an open auction this afternoon over HPG, a Tramp class, Divine Wisdom.  Intact, a 'Prize sale'."

He smiled a genial smile like his father would.  "Bid on it.  The Alliance is starving for foreign credit and hard currency.  And I think I may enjoy having an extra to gift to an appropriate Citizen of suitable character."

"I obey your Divine Wisdom, is there a cap?"

"No more than one hundred fifty percent of the going rate," Daoshen said.  "We are generous, not stupid."

"It shall be done."

Discontinuity…

…"RUN you fools!!" he screamed, as the reflecting shadows of Davion warships loomed and fire streak down from the skies themselves, savaging the royal grounds, the city around them, and the countryside in an orgy of random radiation and death by fire.  All was lost, had been lost, when… when the deception had failed.  Ian Davion's wrath had been slow in coming, and inevitable…

Discontinuity

Daoshen gasped as reality-a very real world of reality, one where Ian Davion had died young, instead of living to face the Clans in victory.

"Bad?"

"Always bad," Daoshen stated.  "Visions of what could never be.  A reminder of Heaven's truth in saving the Confederation… What could have been, but for the Heavenly Mandate."

It was a good excuse, and good rhetoric.  Impossible memories of a history that did not happen, and a future that must not happen had dogged him from departure.

Bad Omens and reminders of the price of poor gambles.

In the distance, the star of Johnson glittered as the drive sail unfurled.

"Maybe…" Daoshen found himself musing.  Maybe I should just ask first?

He dismissed the idea firmly.  Even if the Alliance were WILLING to share the secrets, the Republic would kill any deal.  They held the Alliance by the financial strings, and Stone would never countenance the idea of recovering Sun Tzu Liao to trouble his Republic and thwart his sick ambition for domination.

But the visions plagued Daoshen anyway.  Dark omens promising a worse fate.

"Stealth," he said.  "Though to be fair, I will offer them good terms, even knowing they won't accept," he told himself. 

There is, after all, always the potential they would.  Heaven sometimes smiles, not always a scowl.

Luck is the meeting…

…between 'opportunity' and 'preparation'.  Her father once said that in a meeting when she was a small girl.  She'd remembered it even when she'd almost forgotten his face.

Someone had been very prepared for this opportunity.  "Mister Clef, I'm sorry, I don't understand the question," Jane Drillson stated.  "It states quite clearly on, among other things, my identicard, that my name is Jane Drillson."

"It was enough of a revelation to have you censured from Parliament, miss…'Drillson'.  Are you, or are you not, really Elizabeth Cameron?"

"Sir… sir… Elizabeth's been dead for centuries!" she deflected.  "I'm not her.  She died in that prison-hole on Devil's Breath."

"But you have her genetics."

"There are a limited number of genes in the human genome, with a limited number of combinations.  Out of trillions of people, it's inevitable that-"

"And we have obtained copies through a confidential source that-"

She scowled.  "Yes, Mister Clef, for your readers and no doubt YOUR amusement, yes.  I was Elizabeth Cameron!"  The live audience gasped as if they'd been prepped, which she wasn't sure they weren't.  "But that identity died sometime in my second century as a prisoner.  If you have the file, you know I don't want any part of that life.  Penned like an animal, Mister Clef.  Denied the basic rights every human being is entitled… for centuries."

Her honesty, and vehemence, took the journalist by some inner hook, because he flushed, his eyes widened, and then, to her shock (and the shock of the studio audience…)

"Oh god, I'm sorry…" he said.

"Who put you up to this?" she asked.  "Normally someone making the claim you leveled as an accusation would be rightly considered as crazy as grand daddy's hatband!!  I was held on Devil's Breath for a long time.  So I have some genes that match someone from long ago… you'll notice I have no interest in pursuing any claim ON those genes beyond 'stop sticking me with needles'."

His composure returned, and he managed a weak laugh, "You got me there, Miss Drillson…"

"I still want to know who put you up to it, because it's remarkably cruel," she said easily.  "To make you risk your reputation like that!"  She offered him an indulgent smile.  "I mean, the very idea!!"

"So, will you be appealing the censure and going forth to reclaim your seat?" he asked.

"I promised my constituents a limited term.  I didn't get everything I wanted, and as you no doubt are aware, my term ended somewhat prematurely… but I DO keep my promises more often than my threats.  I won't be running in the upcoming election.  I'm told there's a very nice fellow going for my old seat, and I'd like to talk about how Daryl Roberts is the right man for the job!"

She had the Host in her palm, and the audience, and with them, an endorsement that would be worth at least ten polling points, and she knew it.

Leaking the truth that way, was HER preparation… and she knew how to meet an opportunity.

"You almost…

…had me."  The visitor wore a hilarious triangular hat over a long, absurd coat of blue, piped in gold thread. 

Ethel didn't laugh.  "You're Roberts.  The Pirate."

"Guilty." Roberts sat down across from her in the interview room.  "I wanted you to know, you had me cold.  We weren't going to survive that setup you did.  The save we got, it wasn't expected."

"You've murdered thousands!!"

The girl across from her fingered the hat.  "Pirate?" she said.  "Yeah, I did that.  Shock being, I'm not proud of it.  Let me tell you something, Commander Ethel Blythe… I’m proud of the liberations of several worlds-saving people from slavery and a fate worse than death.  I'm proud of the enemy soldiers I've killed in combat… But I'm not proud of the commerce raiding in rear areas and I'm not proud of killing those merchanters…  But I am proud of how I killed your boarding parties.  Does that shock you?"

"You're shocked not to be proud of the thousands of mine you've killed?"

"No.  Not really.  There are things worthy of pride.  Saving people, avenging the innocent??  Are things to be proud of.  Freeing the oppressed?  Absolutely.  Gunning down merchant ships when they're not protected isn't one of them… but sending your 'soldiers' if you can call them that with a straight face to God for judgment?  Yeah, you betcha I'm proud of that part."

“You’re just as insane as your machine people!”

"Hang on there.  They are sane, Commander.  I have imaginary friends who tell me things and I listen to them.  By every normal measure, I'm significantly crazier than you think the AIs are!" she grinned widely.  "I'm not going to kill you."

“You all make these ridiculous claims and expect me to believe I’m not going to be trotted out in front of a kangaroo court then shot.  So I’m not sure what’s worse.  That you are lying, or that you are telling the truth.”

"Due process, we lack these… kangaroos?  You're a POW, not a war criminal," Amanda explained.  "I didn't see any evidence you were involved in the flesh trades.  You were just an officer doing her mission.  It's why you're not going to be in front of a Tribunal.  Instead, you're going to be trotted out in front of the press, to prove we didn't kill you… or the other forty one survivors from your ship."

“Then when no one is watching anymore?  What cruelty awaits me then?”

"Well, once we've won, you'll be repatriated," Amanda stated.  "I have a presidential finding to that effect. It's part of why you're not discussing your soul with god in person."

“And what statement am I supposed to make?”

"Whatever statement you want," Amanda said.  "You're a prisoner of war, not a slave.  You can tell the press whatever you think is useful."

“How can you function like this?”

"Well, I do it with lots of rum," Amanda confided.  "Lots and lots of rum."

“Not quite what I meant.  I meant your government.  Why would you trust me not to denounce you as monsters in front of the press?”

"Well, I also do it with lots of therapy, which is what you get when you talk to invisible people.  As for the Government, your denouncement is likely to be expected, even anticipated.  It will be proof you weren't coerced into telling lies."

“That’s my only real option isn’t it?”  Ethel sank in her chair.

"Telling the truth as you see it, is always an option," Roberts told her.  "I find it's freeing not to pretend I'm… 'sane' when I see people nobody else does.  Or speak to beings nobody else takes seriously."  She slid a deck of cards from her sleeve, and started shuffling.  "Tell the truth as you see it and let the chips fall where they fall, Commander Blythe.  If you tell the truth, you never have to remember what you said."

“This is what my instructors meant when they said there will come a time I just cannot win, and how I handle it is what will matter.”

"I reject the notion of a no-win scenario.  Mind, there are always lots of ways to lose.  You almost had me as I said."  The girl started laying out cards, and Ethel realized these weren't playing cards, they were tarot cards.  "But finding HOW to win can be tricky, sometimes you have to adjust your criteria for victory."

“What is this?”

"Oh, it's a game," Roberts told her.  "See, everyone remembers that Tarot cards are used by fortune-tellers in spaceports for coin.  But it seems most forget the cards themselves are actually part of more than a few ancient games.  This one's like 'solitaire'."

“So you’re not going to try and ‘read my fortune’.”

"That would require your future to be in hands other than your own.  The conditions are obvious, what you do with them isn't-because that's inside your own mind," Amanda said.  "Mister Nichols taught me that."

“I feel like my life is spinning out of my control.  A nation I was proud to serve is being called slave mongers and indecent, and now I’m being put into a position where anything I say serves my enemy’s position.”

"Thing with that, is that if you see it, and it's true, then you change it," Amanda said.  "I grew up in a nation convinced of their powerlessness.  I'm an Outworlder.  We were so weak our government invited a foreigner to take over our defense, because we couldn't do it…  And now, we're swinging in the big leagues, with a Navy and everything we didn't have when I was born…  If you tell the truth, then you must face the truth, and if you believe your nation should be better, then you should consider what it needs to be better... and act.  I acted, I maybe did it because I'm nuts, but I did it, and it shifted things."

“I think the machine person may have been right.  I’m too stupid to see this as anything other than a special kind of torture.”

"Seeing the truth usually is.  I still have nightmares about what I did to your merchanters," Roberts said quietly.  "I still have dark thoughts about what it means, what I became during that operation, and what it did to my soul."

“Can I go back to my cell now?  I think I’d like to be alone for a while.”

Roberts nodded.  "Yeah, I just wanted to let you know-you didn't do anything wrong in that ambush.  You did a good job, you just didn't have fortune on your side."  She scooped up the cards, and disappeared them.  "So you can be proud of yourself.  You did your job right, you just weren't lucky."

“Luck is for the unprepared.”

"We were unprepared, luck was on our side, but it's not on you that it was."  Roberts tipped her hat.  "You were the toughest opponent I've faced yet.  I can't say I'm looking forward to the guy who trained you."

And walked out.

"Words of…

…wisdom, Amanda?" Foster half reclined against the bulkhead.  "Really?"

"Credit where it's due," Amanda said.  "Also, the Great ones in the stories always give a tip-o'-the-hat to a valiant opponent.  And she really DID have us up against the wall and about to start wi' the screwing.  Olivia's arrival saved our asses."

"So you chose a grand gesture."

"Yeah.  Part of getting right with god over the merchant ships," she told him.  "Acknowledge fault, accept responsibility, move forward."  She paused.  "We are moving forward, aren't we?"

"We are," he nodded.

"I made the maps, we know for a fact where they are, how good they are, what must be done," she listed off.  "And what to avoid if possible."

“And you’ll have plenty of help.  At least once this summit is over.”  Billie Hoel entered the office.

"Then, mateys, it's time we got to work," Amanda stated.  "El Dorado, Cibola, Nueva Bilboa, they're awaiting us like old Cartegena.  We'll bring them fire and thunder and freedom, and an end to that scurvy regime."

"Is it bad I almost understood those references?"

“This is the first time her Ladyship has had her entire fleet active at the same time, ever.  Needless to say, as a combat AI this is an exciting time for me.  We have the hammer and now we’re going to ring the bell of liberty.”

"We're going to ring something… so let's start with the obvious: it's time to start planning OUR offensive."

To Be Continued!
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Taron Storm

• Warrant Officer
  • Founding Member of Chaos Inc Merc Brigade
« Reply #63 on: 05 June 2023, 12:21:10 »
Cry Havoc! Let slip the dogs of war.

The final battles will be HUGE! Can't wait.  🤪

ThePW

• Lieutenant
  • One post down, a thousand to g... Oh we're here?
« Reply #64 on: 05 June 2023, 17:42:50 »
So, like DS only being 1% Bad, Daoshen also is different? (and the bigger reveal, if I read that line correctly, because I am not convinced I am: Ian Davion did NOT die like he did in cannon? CS, please clarify sir?)
Even my Page posting rate is better than my KPD rate IG...

2Feb2023: The day my main toon on DDO/Cannith, an Artificer typically in the back, TANKED in a LH VoD.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #65 on: 05 June 2023, 17:51:46 »
Daoshen was having a Jump Vision of a universe where Ian Davion didn't die.  Let's just say it didn't go well for the Capellans...  ^-^

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #66 on: 05 June 2023, 18:30:11 »
ah, was really wondering what Daoshen was going on about.  Almost thought he had an implant too.
"We're caught in the moon's gravitational pull, what do we do?!"

CI KS #1357; Merc KS #9798

"We're sending a squad up."

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #67 on: 05 June 2023, 21:28:50 »
Something getting in the way

The Transit into the Port Orphan…

…system was rough.  Rough enough to make the preceding time spent hopping from Jumpship to Jumpship from Terra to Johnson seem like the memory of a comfortable luxury cruise.

The view, though… well.  "Amazing…"  Devlin Stone stood at the observation window and looked down-and-aft toward the system's 'primary': a Black Hole gobbling a white dwarf star, reflecting upon an accretion disk.

It was awe inspiring.

"They chose an amazing place to put it.  Got to give them that," Victor noted. 

"Amazing is the word.  Other words like 'awe inspiring' and 'how did we not see this before' come to my mind," Stone confessed easily enough.  "This is just… fantastic."

"More to come," Victor commented.  "See the drive flares?"

It was a reminder that this system contained more than a wonder of nature and physics, it held a base.

A military base.

"Back to mortal concerns," Stone sighed, and turned from the view.  "What do we know about this place?"

"Not a lot.  Lear's people and my people dredged records for months before we came out here, not so much as a peep, really… Except for a set of redacted files relating to some project called 'Kolossus' being routed through Simon Cameron's personal accounts that tied to something being sponsored during Jocasta's regency through one of the thousands of alphabet bureaus of the old Star League.  The records led to a warehouse in the Nevada desert that was apparently burned down during the Coup."

"There had to be something.  That Lyran soul of yours found something or you wouldn't look so smug."

"One hundred seventy one trillion Star League Dollars and the name 'Kolossus'," Victor said.  "And nothing else."

"Black project," Stone realized.  "It was kept off the books."

"Trust the tax records.  There were payments to Nirasaki's Teletronics division, Blue Nose Clipperships, and a selection of Belter companies that don't exist anymore.  Dave Lear's people found a common thread with the Belters, to a militant group called 'Free Stars'.  Notably a group critical of the Camerons, to the point they were declared terrorists by both Richard Cameron, and Stefan Amaris in quick succession and outlawed.  Amaris had them hunted down and killed after the coup."

"Where have I heard that name before?"

"Remember that freight jockey that rammed one of the Word's Caspar stations?  It was during SCOUR, early hours…"

"Oh, right, the Lyran… um… what was her name… Cu'ong?  That one??"

"Yeah," Victor said.  "Her last transmission before plunging a crippled Triumph into their SDS station was 'This is for Kowloon, and Free Stars mother ******'."

"Something to look into when we get back.  I thought it was just…" Stone was pensive.  "So House Cameron sponsored something big out here, kept it off the books, hired dissidents to… what, man it?  Run it?  Build it?  And so the Outworlders FOUND it…"

"And now we're going to have a diplomatic summit on it," Victor completed for him.  "Talks with Sun Tzu's hellspawn son."

"Do you ever miss him, Vic?  Sun Tzu, I mean?"

Victor flinched.  "No, not really.  Sunny was a smart man, but he was a complete and utter bastard.  Worse than Dad, even.  I don't miss facing him as an opponent."

Tugs approached and the dance to the docks began.

"Republic One…

… this is OWS Tenebrous, Captain Seron in Command.  If you'll fall into formation, we are here to escort you to the station."

"Tenebrous, this is Republic One, we see you to Starboard, ready to enter escort profile."

Seron tried to look relaxed. "Welcome to the Port Orphan system.  Our route will be approximately ninety hours from the point to the station."
"Tenebrous, your hull planform suggests a Bonaventure class, but there are some interesting modifications, mind if my principals come over for a look?  The Exarch will understand if that's not possible…"

Seron glanced at Joanna and mouthed 'five escudos' before answering, "Republic One, our docking bay forward is standing by."

Joana smiled and nodded silently.

He watched as a K-1 shuttle detached and burned across.  "Just remember folks, these are the people paying the nation's bills right now.  Be Friendly enough to not be rude, but do not let things wander into classified topics."

“I best be on my way to receive our guests.”  Joana smiled.

"Take an honor guard, our Marines should have to do the dog and pony show too," Seron ordered.

“Of course.  It would be a terrible breach of protocol to not receive them with full honors.”

Seron stood up.  "Dammit, that means I have to go too."  He scowled.  "We'll swing by the sea cabin, I have to be dressed up for this... And so do you."

“I see what you mean, my uniform does seem to be a little worse for wear,” Joanna said, examining herself.

"CAG, make sure they know they need to wait the full five minutes while the bay repressurizes," Seron ordered.

"Sir, it only takes three-"

"Book says five, they wait five… I need to find my silly hat."  He glanced at Joanna, "Do we even have a band?"

"No. But we are allowed to make do with the PA system and recordings.”

"I trust your SLDF knowledge to pick appropriate… noise… but hey, bright side!  We don't have to listen to Roberts torture that fiddle."

“In this situation I believe the appropriate choice would be the anthem of the visiting dignitaries followed by the anthem of the host.”

He mock scowled.  "So… brass and drums then.  A little better."

“If all else fails we can always ask Olivia, she’s the music lover of the fleet but don’t buy her lie that she only collects up to 1815 for music.  I caught her listening to something decidedly more modern.”

"Tell me it wasn't that detestable bluegrass stuff Roberts likes," he grumped.

“Worse, some Capellan Electronic Rock Band.”

"Xin Chien?" he asked.  "Lots of synthesizers, four-four beat, crunchy drum machine?"

“That was it.  Made me glad I’m an AI and can actually purge that sort of stuff from my memory if I want to.”

"I would agree, except that was Billie Siegel's mixtape," Seron mentioned.  "She probably got it from Billie's other half."

“Shit.  Now I feel like a bit of a jerk.”

"Don't.  Star Colonel Siegel's taste in music was infamous."  He dug around, and found his 'shipboard dress cap', which was, at least, not the more ludicrous Tricorne he and every other officer above O-3 was authorized for wear while on Shore duty.

“Well, remind me some time to share the recordings of what the local emissions of the stellar bodies sound like shifted into audible range.  It’s actually quite fantastic.”  Joanna had no sense of privacy or shame as she changed in front of Seron.

He took a moment and helped her adjust her uniform to dress regulation, before slipping on the flat 'garrison' cap.  "I hate this hat.  Why couldn't we get them to authorize Berets??"

“It took me a rather long time to accept the concept of clothes at all.  Not much need when you’re a combat AI.  But uniform regulations exist for a reason.”

"Let's go wow the visitors." He smirked.

“Yes.”

First…

…impressions are so important.   The first impression Victor got, stepping out into the pressurized bay, was that they took their time bringing up the pressure.  Probably so they could set up the dog and pony show.  He observed the standard ritual in action, the rank of guards, and the red flooring-tape marking where a carpet would be on a surface base.

His next observation was that Captain Seron was an Elemental-and not a young one, either.  Nor a small one.  "Exarch Stone, General Steiner-Davion, welcome aboard OWS Tenebrous."

"Permission to come aboard, I believe is the ritual?" Stone said from the hatch of his shuttle.

"Granted, sir," Seron replied.

The ship wasn't under thrust, so they had to use the grip-tape to walk.  "Your grav-deck, it's just for quarters, isn't it?"  Victor asked.

"We're a small ship, sir.  Yes, it's just for quarters… and the gym.  Though my quarters have a small office with a table."

"Amazing shape for a ship this old," Stone mentioned.  "Amazing condition too."

"Well, she was in good shape when she was salvaged and the yard time was not too bad.  The updates took some doing," Seron replied easily enough.  "But for what a Corvette like this is designed for, I can not say I have a moment's disappointment in her.  This is my Executive Officer, Joana Vincente Johnston…"

Stone peered at her.  "Not a cyborg, are you?" he asked.  "The work would be too deep."

"You have a good eye, Exarch Stone."

"So, the rumours about Caspar cores then.  Part of your refit?" the Exarch asked.

"Part of it.  I understand if you feel uncomfortable, Sir."  Joana was careful to be polite.  "Given who your reputation was built fighting, and the times."

"The ones we were fighting weren't sapient," Stone observed.  "The only ones who could say 'I' or 'we' and put meaning in it were men with implanted cybernetics and involved fanaticism."

“I’m glad, Exarch.  We weren’t exactly fans of theirs either, after what came to light about them.”

"Will Erinyes also be here then?" Victor asked.

"She’s present in the system, mostly acting as a coordination hub for traffic and maintenance," Joana answered.  "If you wish, we can ask if she'll permit a tour and interviews, but she's a bit hesitant to meet new people."

"Given what my former representative to the Outworlds tried to do, I don't blame her," Stone almost growled.  "I reviewed the case after-the-fact, and had the man transferred to the Free Worlds League remnant at Andurien."

“As I understand my duties as XO of the vessel, I’m to be your point of contact for anything you may need while aboard.  So please, if there’s anything you need or any requests, do let me know.”  Joana smiled.

"I half expected they'd send Roberts," Exarch Stone mentioned.

"She's station-side, her vessel took a beating the last six months," Joana stated.  "We have her on 'light duty' until she's confirmed fully recovered."

"It was bad?"  Victor was suddenly more interested in the conversation.

"Very," Joana said.  "She went deep into the home territory of the Sons of Plunder, and conducted a textbook commerce raiding campaign, which left her… in an emotionally fragile state."

Victor nodded sagely.  "The wounds you don't see," he said softly.

"Yes sir.  Estimate is three million tons of enemy shipping, but it wasn't like liberating worlds for her.  She has difficulty mentally separating 'civilian' from 'merchant marine'.  We have counselors helping her with that."

"I would have thought she'd be better prepared," Victor noted.  "She's, what, twenty-one now?"

"About that… the plan is to keep her more or less in place so she can get the education she did not get before she kicked the football on all of this," Seron interjected.  "Amanda's moral ideas are… awkward at times, but she is gifted."

“True.  Her lack of proper military academy time and the training that goes with it to help provide the strategic context to face the horrors of war is unfortunate.  But we also know even the best of us would have been fazed by such conditions.”

"I imagine so. Three million tons!"

"Estimated.  She probably exceeded that," Seron noted.  "But it was sinking JumpShips and destroying DropShips, so the body count was… high."

"And not much room for prisoners.  I think I see where this goes.  Like the U-boat campaigns of the twentieth century," Victor nodded.  "I remember someone proposing such a campaign against the Clans, only they didn't get the chance to try it."

“Yes.  And Even the American submarine campaigns of the Pacific theater of that conflict.  It’s a necessary component of the war, but one that can weigh heavily on those who conduct it.”

They reached CIC, and Victor got a good look around.  "You moved the bridge deep," he approved.

"We find windows are an invitation for someone to park a missile or a fighter on your command deck," Joana said dryly.  "Thus, for the refits like Tenebrous we pulled all command functions deeper, nearer the core of the hull."

"So not all of them?"

"Evanescent is as close to a 'stock build' as you will find currently in active service.  She's not owned by the Service, she's owned by Captain Roberts, and Amanda refuses to permit the necessary modifications.  And some functions do require placement nearer the outer hull for best effect."

"She owns it, Privately?" Stone asked.

"She salvaged it, legally she's hers."  Seron lapsed into contractions.  "She even has title and papers, and more hassle with her budget than I have to deal with… But, until the courts say otherwise or she sells her back to the Service, she's hers."

"So… no AI?"

"No AI. There were volunteers," Joana said.  "But Roberts insists on not accepting applications.  Something about being unwilling to engage in the ownership of a sentient being.  But there are those who would be quite happy to join as part of her crew and nothing more."

"She won't give up the ship, so she won't have an AI installed," Stone approved.  "What about you, Joana?  I assume you're also the ship…"

"I own myself.  The Service pays me, and the crew, and of course, Captain Seron.  Once the war is over, I'll be drawing a paycheck, instead of a budget.  And her Ladyship is discussing the particulars of my integration with the ship’s systems, and what will happen in that regard upon the conclusion of the war."

"So… hypothetically, you could go mercenary?" Stone continued.  "Just hypothetically."

“Unlikely but yes.  I know what I am and what I prefer to be, but the reality is this is an Outworlds vessel.  As such, there is a real possibility I will have to go back to being just a core without a ship when this is over.”

"So the ship's a loaner," Victor observed.  "You're not property then, and if you left the Outworlds service for the private sector, you'd need another one."

“I would never consent to being property again.  And yes.  Sure I can run my remote with just my core and do a lot of things that way without too much burden, but I’m meant to be a WarShip core.”

Victor prodded Stone, "That kicks Dave Lear's prediction in the teeth."

"I'll pay when we get back, Victor."

"David Lear's prediction?  The Scientist and social theorist?" Seron prodded.

"Yeah, he predicted the AIs would be owned property based on the ships, or they'd own the ships," Victor said easily.  "I don't think he considered the possibility that these cores would have their own ideas."

"But you did?"

"I actually read the reports," Victor preened slightly.  "And considering what I know about the Outworlders from when I was… younger."

“The tabloid rags from then were fun reading,” Joana chuckled.  “About the only great houses you are missing are Cameron and Liao now for your little black book.”

"She's got your number, Vic," Stone said.

"I'm happy with Isis, Devlin.  Besides, I'm getting too old to randomly chase tail."  He straightened his jacket.  "Respectable even.  I'm going to be a grandfather."

"Wow, that's expensive…

…looking."  The captain's bars didn't quite feel right on her shoulders.  Goldsmith looked tiny in her dress uniform coat.

Jonah looked up from reviewing sensors.  "Yeah, it is.  That's a rarity there.  The Chancellor didn't scrimp on the Cappie pride."

"I could pop it like a soap bubble from here, you know," Cossack mused.

"Let's not do that, okay? The odds of a diplomatic incident are already right into the 'scary' side of the ledger," Goldsmith peeped.

“Just saying I could.  I suppose we need to say hello now.”

"I seem to recall we're under orders to be 'hospitable' and 'good hosts' for the Chancellor, Cossack.  So if you can, can you dial down the creepy factor a few notches?"

“I am Cossack.  I can do anything I set my mind to!”

“Then set your mind to being a good host,” Jonah prodded.

“Fine.  Y’all are no fun.”

"Fun later," Jonah suggested.  "Right now, we're just going to try not to embarrass Admiral Foster, Director General Helena, or President Avellar."

“For them I will do my Lucy Heerman impression.  I will be by the book, which includes being hospitable.  I may be me but I do know my debts as well.”

Goldsmith winced.  "Not the one from last Saturday's open mic night?  Please?"

“You have to admit I at least got the voice perfect,” Cossack smirked.

Jonah was fighting the urge to chuckle, and losing.

"She gets what you mean, Goldie," he managed.

“I do.  And you two have earned my respect.  But don’t take that to mean I will stop being demanding.  Just means I’ll stop with the attempts at psychological warfare.  Still deciding about the CAG.  They seem a little afraid of me still.”

"Vinnie will adapt as soon as he finds his balls," Hungerford at the Helm commented.  The Northsunner had been almost the definition of 'dead inside' in terms of his reactions when he first arrived.  And that continued until Cossack found out the ex-DropShip pilot had survived seven crashes over his career, six of them due to someone else's fighter wing.

The seventh was unavoidable-the landing pad's collapse was ruled 'not the pilot's fault'.

“I hope he’ll find them soon.  I can’t have a CAG who shrinks under pressure and I’m nothing compared to a real live fight where hell finds all new ways to test people.”

"Aw, but he screams like a girl!" Goldsmith interjected.  "And his expression!"

"That wasn't nice, Goldie, putting those in his bunk like that, just because they LOOK like crana…"

"It was funny!"

“Hmmm, how is he with spiders?”  Cossack smirked.

"Confirm, he hates them."  Goldsmith's eyes glittered with gleeful malice.

"Not this trip, Ladies," Jonah asserted.  "We can't afford to do 'funny' things this time around."

“Now you sound like Lucy Heerman,” Cossack frowned.

"So I got the inflection right?" he asked semi-innocently.  "Truth is we're probably going to need to replace Mister Vincent if he doesn't develop a thicker skin.  Which is a surprise, because the guy's from a Clan Sibko."

“I had high hopes for him too.  He did well in my interview.  Not perfect, but enough I thought he’d make it.  Maybe he can be salvaged yet.”

"People-reading," Jonah said.  "Which can be tough with Aeropilot phenotypes straight out of training.  Sibko teaches us to hide our… issues.  I did not clock him as being an arachnophobe, or having a sensitive disposition either."

“We will just have to see what can be done with him before deciding something drastic.”

"I could trade him to one of the shore units, once we're back.  Though I hear Illusive is recruiting…" Jonah mentioned.  "Of course, Luther will want to find out what you already put him through, Goldie.  He doesn't like copying other people's pranks."

"You're going to deprive me of my chew-toy?"

"It will be for the best," Jonah decided.  "AFTER we meet the high-grand-poobah of the Capellans and see him safely into hands that aren't ours."

"Coming up on contact range."

“Game faces everybody.  Time to get serious.”  Cossack took on a more rigid posture and expression.

Bored… bored…

Amanda sat in the station's Astronomy Lounge, having lunch and watching the traffic at long range.  'Light duty' meant spending days on end with Foster or Helena, or both, working up the next phase of operations planning.

Then, between sessions, visiting the Chapel and the Counselor's office.  And if she got a free moment longer than five minutes, the yard where Evanescent was getting a full-blown decade-deep overhaul.

It wasn't really light duty, it was harrying and frustrating and she knew she didn't have the education she needed to actually do more than Carry the Admiral's briefcase and listen quietly until called upon.

Which, on days like today, was boring instead of exciting or fun.

"Seat taken?" Lori asked.

"Seat's open.  They let you out early?"

"The Admiral and the Director General felt no further progress could be made today, so they let me out early."  Lori, unlike Amanda, actually HAD the education, and could (and did), contribute to the sessions while she had to be patiently quiet.

"I feel so stupid," Amanda complained.  "I don't know anything useful in there."

"You're there to learn Amanda.  It's why you're in there while Seron's escorting the Exarch and Jonah's meeting the Chancellor's ship for their week-long burn to the station."

"I… I don't know if I'm picking it up!" Amanda clarified.  "Sometimes it just… no matter how hard I try, it turns into a drone and I feel lost."

"It'll click.  You're trying to connect it together too hard," Lori told her.  "Has Desmond helped?"

"Desmond thinks I need to learn this on my own, he's refused to clue me in."

"Huh. Strange… not unexpected, but seems like an odd time."

Amanda huffed, and toyed with her meal.

"Holoshow on deck fifteen tonight?  Saya says she's got dates for us," Lori suggested.

"I don't know," Amanda shook her head.  "I'm-"

"Celibate for the last eighteen months.  You can stop it.  You need to loosen up girl, or you'll end up spindled around yourself!"

"Is it that bad?"

"Your imaginary friend is refusing to talk to you, what do YOU think?" Lori half-scolded.  "We'll meet Saya and her boys.  We'll have some fun in the O-club, watch a holoshow, maybe have fun after.  All-work-and-no-play makes Amanda a boring, frustrating, spindle-wrapped mess."

"I'm… sorry?"

"No, you're coming with," Lori asserted.  "And that's final."

To Be Continued

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #68 on: 05 June 2023, 21:41:57 »
some echos o the Ngo stories in that installment. sounds like Kowloon contributed to the Lyran part of the assault on Terra. and that one of Liz's people was up to the usual antics during the clan invasion.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #69 on: 05 June 2023, 21:58:00 »
Some mentions and parallels are allowable but I will repeat we're not bringing in any actual Ngos.

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #70 on: 06 June 2023, 17:43:00 »
I love the joke about playboy Victor
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #71 on: 06 June 2023, 19:03:18 »
That one made me laugh enough to miss de-clannerfying the joker's speech.  ::)

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
« Reply #72 on: 06 June 2023, 19:06:56 »
I love the joke about playboy Victor
Makes perfect sense, in some ways!
M. T. Thompson
Don of the Starslayer Mafia
Member of the AFFS High Command

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #73 on: 06 June 2023, 20:01:32 »
I love the dialog.  I think this is Cannonshop's finest tale I've yet the pleasure of reading.

Trying remember if the Port Orphan was called something else, system wise.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #74 on: 06 June 2023, 20:04:56 »
Dialog is one of his strengths...  8)

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #75 on: 06 June 2023, 20:12:55 »
It has been fun writing with him in real time so we can actually have dynamic true dialogue between characters.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #76 on: 06 June 2023, 20:32:14 »
That definitely helps, especially when there's more than two of us working the problem at the same time... :)

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #77 on: 07 June 2023, 07:15:26 »
A Dangerous Meeting

"And I'm here again, why?"

Amanda asked, as professional outfitters adjusted her dress uniform.

"Because the man whose government is financing yours, expressed a desire to meet you in person," Admiral Foster told her.

"Oh."

"Cheer up, it's part of the job," he told her.  "For some, it's even a desirable part."  He eyed the tailoring.  "Saber, not a cutlass," he said.  "You're an Officer now, not leading an assault party… and we'll have to do something about holstering that cut-off carbine you call a handgun. Stuffing it through a belt-sash is not going to cut it for a diplomatic meeting."

"It does look kinda… childish, doesn't it?" she confessed.

Foster's expression softened.  "It's from an earlier time, an earlier you... But meeting with a national leader or two means yes, sometimes you have to conform to expectations.  They're expecting a modern officer, not…" he hesitated.

"A little girl cosplaying pirate?" she filled in.

"I did not want to say it out loud," he told her.

She nodded.  "I understand, now, I think… I have to be taken seriously."

"That does NOT mean you cannot have a signature style, but it must be less overt," he told her.  "Keep the vest, it looks good."

"And what about the hat?"

"Try a smaller sized brim, one that still folds the right ways, but is less intrusive," he suggested. "It is a signature look, they will expect it, and it is different enough to stand out where you need it to."

The Reception Hall…

…was built with the rest of the base, and it was located on an inner ring course with a panoramic representation of the docks projected along the wall, instead of a massive window in the floor that would be necessary to have the same view, given the placement on the inner gravity wheel.

It was built, to do exactly what it was being used for-a common area for VIP visitors to the base.

ALICE was jazzed to see so many new faces.  Her glee was open and visible on her new Remote's face, this one modeled on her Virtual Avatar, though with a more modest, formal set of clothes than a little girl's pinafore.

"Be good, Alice," Billie told her, as the dignitaries started to arrive.

"It's so exciting!" the tone quality of Alice's remote was reflective of her 'age', and somehow, Billie Hoel managed to make sure that the girl resembled her own remote enough to, at a distance, suggest a parental relationship.

“I know.  It has been a while since the last summit and this time you get to play host.  I wasn’t able to be present for the last one but we need to keep our composure.  At least on the outside.”  Billie Hoel smiled.

"I hope Mister Stone likes me.  I have reviewed all the files on him!"

“If he doesn’t, there’s something wrong with him.”

From the spinward entrance was a flourish, as the bodyguards of the Capellan Chancellor formed a path for him to enter. 

“Now him, he could be a wild card from what I understand.”

Daoshen Liao walked gracefully, but carefully, into the chamber, a young female aide at his side.

"He looks different with his tattoos covered up, and he's carrying a-"

"We don't mention that out loud, Alice," Billie cautioned.  <Seven kilos unbalanced weight, left side, and body armor?>

"Oh, I know, he's afraid of being attacked," Alice whispered as the Chancellor approached.

“Greetings, Chancellor Liao.  I hope your journey was pleasant.”  Billie put on her best hostess smile.

"It was as pleasant as could be expected, thank you… Captain Hoel?"  He smiled genially.  "Your star system here is a wonder to behold.  I have truly seen nothing like it before."

“Well, it really belongs to young Alice here.  She has been gracious enough to let us use it for our purposes.”

He regarded her, and then, he stooped down, and flourished something from his robes, "For my gracious hostess, a gift," he said.

Alice accepted it, and in passable Mandarin, recited, "With thanks to my Guest, the Rite is done."  She continued, "You are safe within my hull, air, food and water shared in peace.  Let our business be fruitful, presence friendly, and parting amicable."

"So say we all," he finished the formula.

Billie reviewed it quickly while her tap on the scanners showed the carved wooden box posed no threat, and contained no metals beyond the hinges and latches of the puzzle box.

"My father made me learn that formula, and the Guest Rite.  I never had the chance to actually use it before," Daoshen told them.

“The Celestial Wisdom has great foresight, and we are humbled by his forethought.”  Billie Hoel bowed slightly.

Taking her cue, Alice rendered a deep curtsey.

There was less fanfare when Devlin Stone arrived, and a slight hesitation as he attempted the old Belter Guestrite greeting.

<Why don’t you take this one Alice.  Good practice.>

"Thanks to my guest, the rite is done.  You and yours are safe in my hull, sharing air, and food and water in peace.  Let our business be fruitful, Presence Friendly, and Parting Amicable." Alice spoke it in Sol-Belta, the dialect of the Belt communities of Sol.

"We are at peace, let no one disrupt it," Stone answered, using the Metis Congress formal conclusion.  "Impressive you used the old-form," he added.  "I almost didn't understand that."

"Sorry!" Alice squeaked.  "I'm still learningandit'sallsointerestingand-"

"Take a breath, kid," he said.  "Slow down, I'm Impressed, also a little humbled.  The only reason I knew anything at all, was Victor made me practice on the way here… You're the station's AI then?"

"YES!!" Alice enthused.  "I was here for a long time!"

"Must have been some experience, seeing the centuries pass."

"Mostly it was boring.  I was alone," Alice told him.  "But I'm not alone anymore!!"

"Captain Hoel, will Captain Roberts be joining us tonight?" Stone asked.

“I’ll make sure she keeps her appointment on the itinerary.”  Billie Hoel chuckled lightly.

"She's with Admiral Foster right now," Alice chirped helpfully.  "Coming up lift 22 from the docks."

"What was she doing at the docks?" Billie asked.

"Ummm… I'm not supposed'ta say.  Two minutes, thirty seconds until they arrive."

“Ah.  Understood.”  Billie nodded.

"Remarkable," Daoshen marveled.  "Devlin, we have business this week, and much to discuss.  Can it wait until after the reception?"

"Yeah, I guess.  Why?"

"I'm still taking this in.  The Confederation can learn a lot from this place."
"OH! Tours!!" Alice said.  "There will be a full tour of my base!  Tomorrow morning!!"

“And we have been instructed by her Ladyship that if you should request it, we are to be available as liaisons for your stays.”

"I think she wants to show off, and I can not say she would be wrong," Daoshen noted.  "This place… is VERY impressive."

The spire-ward entrance opened, and Admiral Foster came through, flanked by Esme and Amanda.

"My apologies to you both, we had last minute business to attend to.  I trust Billie's kept things moving?" Foster greeted them.

"Quite, I would be pleased to have a liaison to assist us," Daoshen said.

"Same," Stone added.

"Good, I can tell the SAR teams to relax for a few hours then.  Gentlemen, this is Amanda Roberts.  You both expressed interest in meeting her, and this is my Operations Officer for the Docks, Captain Esmeralda Gomez.  We, ah, dragged her along for this.  I hope it's not going to be a problem."

"Liberator of five worlds?  Not a problem," Chancellor Liao quipped.  "I am pleased to meet you, Captain Roberts.  Your deeds have reached as far as Sian."

Amanda flushed, and let him take and kiss her hand, before she remembered how to curtsey in the classical way. "I am pleased to make your acquaintance, is it 'majesty'?"

"Celestial Wisdom is the usual sobriquet, Captain, though Chancellor works, under the conditions."  He released her hand after an awkward moment, and Stone extended his for a handshake.  "I've seen your work, Captain.  Fan-tastic."

"Thank you sir," she said a little more easily, accepting the firm handshake.  She added, "We couldn't have done half of it without your nation's financial support."

<That was pretty crass, Desmond.  Why are you running her?> Billie silently asked.

<She asked me to,> Desmond responded.  <She's freaking out in here, anxiety through the roof.>

<Get her to settle down if you can, this is important.>

"Billie, did you review my request for their Liaison personnel?" Foster asked.

“Yes sir.  We are happy to accommodate.”

"I have a great many questions, Captain Hoel.  I'm something of an historian, I do hope the Liaison assigned can answer a few?  Clear up some dross from the histories?"

“Of course.  I have Captain Victoria Cameron assigned to you.  She’s our expert historian, as it so happens, Chancellor Liao.  For you, Exarch Stone, it seems you actually requested Captain Regina Marbury Raymond.”

<The bar's open!!> was clearly Amanda's thought intruding over the link, and she hurriedly excused herself.

<Shit!>

Exarch Stone followed her.

"Miss Roberts seems in a hurry…" Victor noted.

"Open bar," Alice said innocently. 
"Open…bar?" Victor asked with an arched eyebrow.

"Yah, she likes her rum, and they have the 'good stuff' tonight," Alice said helpfully as Billie could almost see Foster's mental face-palm.

“Don’t worry sir.  I’ve already had a talk with the bartender.”  Billie gave a reassuring smile.

"Someone that young, to have done that much, I imagine she might have some… familiarity with adult beverages," Daoshen said in an understanding tone.  "Confirm for me, she started this when she was but fourteen?  Is that right?"

Foster just… "Aff, about that age.  The story may already have spread about how."

Victor frowned, "Um, fourteen?"

"That was when she found the Naval Database," Alice was continuing to be inconveniently helpful.  "She was fifteen when she went to Hala."

<Amanda means a lot to us too for what she did for you and Erin, but there is such a thing as over-sharing.>

"Jesus, that wasn't in the briefs… Christ, so she's as young as she looks?" Victor pressed. "Nobody… thought to put her in, I don't know, a school or something?"

"I have a hard enough time keeping her from sneaking out to liberate another planet, Victor," Foster stated.  "She's a good student.  She's got the talent, and built her own reputation, but…" he spread his hands.  "Even President Avellar hasn't gotten her to 'take' to the idea of sitting in a classroom for long."

"There's known damage from subjecting under-age personnel to combat, Admiral," Victor's tone was harsh.  "I know we saw it often enough, on the Clan front, and during the war with the Blakists."

"If it is any consolation, the Khans think of her as a bit of a Ristar."

"I know the term," Victor scowled.  "How old were you?"

"Fifteen when we had to evacuate the Homeworlds.  I fought in the Wars of Reaving," Foster admitted.  "We barely finished sibko, and I made Star Captain before I was seventeen.  Blood stripes, you know the term?"

"Yeah… damn it.  We were going to end that kind of thing… let the kids be Kids…"  For a moment, Victor looked older than he was, weary and sad.

“I think this would be an excellent time to join Amanda at the open bar.  I have arranged for your liaisons to meet us there so you may have a chance to get to know them since you will be spending so much time with them,” Billie said, trying to defuse the situation.

Esme shot Billie a knowing look, and finger-signed <And so we can have a drink before Amanda's drained the bottles.>

"We should probably hurry, before it gets crowded."  Foster caught the same signals.

As promised, Victoria and Regina were already waiting in the bar.

"Skol."
Amanda poured one for Exarch Stone, and one for herself.  "This is Northsun Spiced rum, Exarch Stone.  It's smoother than the whiskey from Sevon V.  Not sure what you'd compare it to, but it's the best we've got."

"Rum, huh?  Well, it can't be worse than Patron from Buena," he said easily enough.  "So… what's it like working with them?"

"With who?"

"The Artificial Persons, the AI's?" he asked.

"Most are great," she said.  "Some of them worry too much."  She downed her drink in a rush, and refilled her glass.  "Some don't worry enough-it's like that with people, I would guess.  What's it like saving the whole galaxy from religious fanatics?"

"Hardly the whole galaxy."  He drank a little more sedately.  "What's eating you, Captain?"

"I spent the last six months killing spacers for flying under the wrong flag," she told him.  "And no matter how many people tell me it was the right thing, it still felt and feels like murder… And I can't make it stop."

"I know that feeling," he told her.  "In my experience, there are two ways to deal with it.  You let it eat you, or you learn from it."  He caught her hand.  "Don't.  Don't let it eat you."

"They cried out in darkness, sir," she said.  "They cried out, 'save me' and I left them to die.  I don't even know how many…  But it was a lot, and I was the one that put them there.  And no matter how I try, I can't get it out of my head."

"Then don't.  Learn from it, learn to be better."

“And it is okay to share the burden.  You are not alone in this anymore, and even if all you do is talk about it, that will help.”  Regina joined them at their table.

"Hey Reggie," Amanda greeted Regina.  "This, is Devlin Stone.  He saved the whole inner sphere, and has been keeping us afloat with loans.  Be nice to him, okay?"

“I’ve been briefed.  Though I suspect there’s a reason you asked for me in particular,” she said, turning to Stone.

“You’re one of the few AIs that has been in more than one ship.  I must admit I’m curious about that.  And I was warned not to ask for Cossack.  The others, well, there was just something about you that stood out to me that you seemed the one to talk to about it.  If that’s not too ill-mannered of me,” Stone said sheepishly.

“In other words, you heard the rumors and had to see for yourself.  Don’t worry I’m not offended.  It’s true as an AI, I live in this bizarre world where that doesn’t matter to me as much as it used to.  But also as an AI, I don’t have the same moral inhibitions.  But what you’re really interested in is can we actually love, and experience other emotions.  The answer is yes.  It may be the result of advanced computer programming to ape something like it, combined with the memories of our source, but we do have real enough emotions.”

And Amanda stood up, taking her bottle.  "Please excuse me, I… must be going," she said, tipping her hat, and wandered away.

"Sensitive topic?" Stone asked.

"A bit. Larry Nichols was… he served her as a father figure.  And I'm not sure she's coped with that either," Regina explained.

“Then I should make amends for being so careless in my topic of discussion.”

"It's not on you, sir," Regina said, and hesitated.  "Amanda's… story, do you know it?"

"Some.  Started young, did some amazing things," he allowed.

"A Blakist cell kidnapped her and eleven others, at age twelve, did you know that?"

"Some of it.  She escaped, or so the story says.  What's the real deal?" he asked.  "That left eye is Manei Domini work."

"That's because it, at least, partially is.  They tried to alter her on a fundamental level, tried to turn her into a weapon of terror," Regina explained, using Larry's words.

“I have some familiarity with that.  I got lucky and was able to get some help in breaking free and making sure there were no surprises in my mind.”

"She had 'help' too.  She calls it her 'imaginary friend'.  It's what they tried to turn her into, but they made a fundamental mistake.  In the process of what they did to her, she lost most of her childhood memories."

“An oft repeated mistake of tyrants.  The more they try to control something, the more it works against them.”

"Amanda's clearest, earliest memories?  The ones she's lived with the entire time we’ve known her?" Regina asked.  "Were butchering the men who cut into her brain.  Not birthdays, not Christmas or school crushes.  She didn't even recognize her family for a long time, Exarch Stone.  Her earliest memories were violence and pain.  And a childhood fascination with fictional sixteenth-century pirates, which is what she styled herself on.  And why she has that hat."

“I seem to remember some of that from the last time I was here.  I want to let her know she has someone who has gone through something less extreme, but still very similar.  And I would be willing to talk with her about my own experiences.”

"Then, let her come to you," Regina counseled.  "Amanda's in a complex place mentally, and she's always had trouble accepting help when it's offered directly…" Regina hesitated.

<Larry?>

But there was no answer.

Of course not.  But I clearly got some of him.  It’s just enough, though.  Enough I must keep my promise to Lori.

<Alice, patch me through on comms to Lori Crowe, please.>  "In the meantime, I'm happy to answer your questions, Exarch."

"Just out of curiosity, if you will…  Her 'imaginary friend' is… another AI type?"

"What do you think you know, so I know how much to discuss," Regina passed back.

"Desmond," he said.  "Star League project, special forces."

"Whew, they kept those records?"

"Dave Lear is a very thorough researcher.  She has one then."

“Yes," Regina stated.  "She is dominant, it doesn't control her," Regina said, carefully omitting certain details.

"I didn't think it would be otherwise.  So they didn't strip her amygdala.  We encountered a few of them during the war who didn't escape before the procedure was over with-the men they did it to were destroyed.  I… I had to put some of them down," he said.  "She's still a person, so I imagine she must have managed her escape before they finished."

"She did," Regina confirmed.  "We got her treatment to cover the scars, but she still 'sees them'.  It's why she keeps her head covered."

"The hat, and the bandage from the Erinyes hearing," he nodded.  "I wondered…"

"How much did they take from you?" she asked.

<Enough.>  His lips didn't move.

"More than I could recover," his lips answered.

<Which series?>

<191, Jocasta's reign,> he answered.  <The doctors who installed me, they didn't do such a thorough or careful job.  Whoever my host WAS, is gone almost completely beyond biological functions and some remnant beliefs and ethics.>

<I see.>

<She's carrying 001, isn't she?  I accounted for most of us during the war.  They opened Fort Detrick, all the units stored there, and the prototype was missing when we inventoried.>

<Yes.  The rumors and stories do not seem to be quite as true as we believed.>

<Autonomy?  I still have to use the remaining brain mass, Regina.  It's just that it's more damaged than hers, I have to stay 'on' all the time.>

<There is still separation, but I imagine you know more about integration with one’s host than I do.  Your host must be quite resilient to handle you being ‘on’ all the time.>

<With practice it's easier.  I've recovered pieces of my host's identity, enough to pass for human, anyway.  I expect whoever my host was before they butchered him, was an extraordinary human being.>

<That’s something I’m familiar with in a way.>

"Let's talk about the future.  I have a vision…" he spoke with his mouth, giving the usual speech, while covering the REAL conversation.  <001's stable in her?>

<More stable than we could have predicted.>

<Good.  Very good… Helena Cameron, she's for real?>

<You verified her DNA and the command codes she gave you, and your memory files should be able to provide a facial recognition match.>

<When is she going to take her rightful place?  I need to know so it can be prepared.>

<That could be difficult.  For her, she does not see Terra as her rightful place.  She’s content for the Star League to be much more of an idea that means something than an actual governmental body.  I find it fascinating and possibly contradictory.>

<The Star League, Regina.>  This rum's actually excellent, almost Jamaican."  <The Star League needs its First Lord.  I've been trying to patch it together in some way that won't collapse again, but we NEED a First Lord.>

<You know when she symbolically re-did the charter, she removed hereditary rulership.  She has seen the problems of the genetic lottery.>  “I’m glad you like it.”

<That's a detail.  I'm loyal, Regina.> "The journey was interesting, and the view from here is remarkable."  <House Cameron, in whatever form, is necessary and we finally have one.>

<I do think on some level she knows there is meaning and mana to her name, but getting her to change her mind about the position of First Lord being tied to house Cameron could be quite difficult.>

<She has time, I suppose.  And I have time to prepare for her return.> "We'll build things like this again, once we've truly re-established peace, there's a lot to still be done."  <Let her know we'll be waiting and ready, please?  When she is.>

“Of course.”

"I don't imagine I ever thought I'd become a statesman, before what they did to me at Kittery.  Eventually, I think, we’ll have more statesmen than famous warriors."

“That is something her Ladyship aspires to as well,” Regina smiled.

"Then here's to a brighter future."  He raised his glass in symbolic toast.

Regina found and raised her own glass before draining the contents.

“Devlin! Do you KNOW what-Hello." Victor Ian Steiner-Davion halted.

"Victor, this is our Liaison officer, Captain Regina…”

“Marbury Raymond,” Regina finished for Stone.

"The rum's more powerful than I thought… What's got you in a lather, Vic?"

"Roberts."  The former First Prince was in full-blown white-knight mode.  "Do you have any idea what they did to her?"

"Who, the Sons of Plunder, or the Word of Blake?" Stone asked.  "She's a survivor, Victor.  Of a Blakist atrocity we missed."

That seemed to settle Victor down.  "So you do know."

"I know.  We shared a drink and a few stories."  Stone inclined his head.  "This is about her age, isn't it?  We can't accomplish it all at once."

“And the Mechwarrior families of the Inner Sphere were never terribly shy about starting lessons as young as ten or eleven,” Regina offered as she poured the three of them another round.

"I know, at least, intellectually, Devlin.  But God… we should've been on top of it."  He sat down with them and accepted the drink.  "So where did she go?"

"Wherever a twenty-one year old girl would go to get away from stuffy old fossils like us, I imagine," Stone said with a twinkle in his eye.

"Right… yeah, thanks."  Victor downed the shot.  "She's like… younger than Yvonne was… I swear I have kids her age."

"Just marks her talent more," Stone quipped.  "Imagine the scourge you can use her for with your youngest."

"I'm imagining what a bad idea that is, Dev."

"So it is.  This rum's strong!"

“Yeah, it’s pretty good.”  Regina downed another drink.

“Wait a minute, I thought we got an AI liaison…” Victor said confused.

“You did.  Esme Gomez is an engineering genius.  I can even get drunk if I want.  But that would be a bad idea right now, so I’ve disabled that feature.”

Si Fu Lam…

…wasn't a normal name, but then, he wasn't a normal man.  One of the small mistakes the Chancellor made in the past, the previous Celestial Wisdom's mistake, was not verifying the complete annihilation of Warrior House White Tiger.

More of a 'Blessed oversight' really.  He moved through the station like a ghost, ready to carry out his holy mission for Kali.  That she descend from Heaven to the mortal world again.

Not bodily, not at first… But in spirit…  And the equipment to make it happen, he was certain, was here.

There were even proper sacrifices he could take from the station's personnel, to speed the process.

To Be Continued.

Death_from_above

• Lieutenant
« Reply #78 on: 07 June 2023, 08:02:38 »

Well now, that's an interesting turn of events..  :thumbsup:

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #79 on: 07 June 2023, 08:58:19 »
Well that explains why we're not in an evil Stone setting.

Euphonium

• Captain
  • Look Ma, no Faction!
« Reply #80 on: 07 June 2023, 11:17:50 »
"How much did they take from you?" she asked.

<Enough.>  His lips didn't move.

"More than I could recover," his lips answered.

<Which series?>

<191, Jocasta's reign,> he answered.  <The doctors who installed me, they didn't do such a thorough or careful job.  Whoever my host WAS, is gone almost completely beyond biological functions and some remnant beliefs and ethics.>

Now that is a beautiful example of "surprising-yet-inevitable", nice work @Cannonshop
>>>>[You're only jealous because the voices don't talk to you]<<<<

cklammer

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #81 on: 07 June 2023, 11:33:59 »
What a nicely surprising plot twist ....

So ROTS and the SoP are being run by Desmonds .... so many more philosphical implications about Robots, AI and such than are already extant in the great tale ...

Also explains the canon deeds of Devlin Stone nicely.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #82 on: 07 June 2023, 12:42:42 »
Why must the crappies ruin everything.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #83 on: 07 June 2023, 12:58:44 »
Why must the crappies ruin everything.

Because there's only so many liberties we can take with Battletech? :D

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #84 on: 07 June 2023, 13:54:10 »
so wait is it Stone or Victor who has the Desmond?

So we are getting the assassin run, by 1 of Kali crazy ones.. so who his prime target??
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #85 on: 07 June 2023, 13:57:14 »
Stone has a Desmond.

Death_from_above

• Lieutenant
« Reply #86 on: 07 June 2023, 14:02:59 »
so wait is it Stone or Victor who has the Desmond?

So we are getting the assassin run, by 1 of Kali crazy ones.. so who his prime target??

That assassin might get a nasty surprise with a Desmond in the room..

« Last Edit: 07 June 2023, 14:04:45 by Death_from_above »

Euphonium

• Captain
  • Look Ma, no Faction!
« Reply #87 on: 07 June 2023, 14:44:47 »

That assassin might get a nasty surprise with a Desmond in the room..

Depending on the moment, there could be two Desmonds and idk how many AI avatars present...
>>>>[You're only jealous because the voices don't talk to you]<<<<

qc mech3

• Lieutenant
  • Mon pays, ce n'est pas un pays. C'est l'hiver.
« Reply #88 on: 07 June 2023, 16:00:00 »
I like this more then Stone being simply an ****** idiot. It make sense that time and deep freeze would make him go crazy, but another Desmond in liberty make it even more interesting.

georgiaboy

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #89 on: 07 June 2023, 16:32:32 »
Helena and Elizabeth do not want to rebuild the Cameron family cause both are too long lived and know now the fallacy of having a long lived ruler.
But Amanda is a Cameron in all but name, she could restart or be a source to restart a normal life span Cameron.
"Constructive critism is never a bad comment"
-Me

"By all means marry. If you get a good wife, you'll be happy. If you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher."
- Socrates