Author Topic: Notes on "Strategos" that should be acknowledged  (Read 3737 times)

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
Notes on "Strategos" that should be acknowledged
« on: 05 July 2023, 04:35:54 »
Nope, I'm not done posting the story yet, but we HAVE finished the outline, at least.

Things that we'd have liked to do, but the story didn't leave us room for:

In "Strategos Concludes" we batted the idea of showing off more of Gio's material.  His life intervened and I sometimes bull and blunder forward WAY too fast.

This left a few things off the table we'd have liked to have done, and maybe a separate story covering one or more events in the main "Novel" might still give us.  In particular, Noriko Murakami's drone army, which includes some fun stuff like Drone Land-air-mechs.

Lots of them.

The problem ended up being that I was trying to keep it relatively tight, so we didn't get the chance to actually SHOW their scenes.  It would've been nice.  aS it is, the 'conventional' battle of Churchstone got very little direct attention, but be assured It did happen.

There WERE Stawmpy 'mech actions going on, I just didn't have any POV characters in the right place to SHOW it.

Deeper detail on how AI Johnny Morgan took down the SLS Belleau wood-this one was more or less because I kept to schedule and had already overrun my word count, while Gio's life was presenting strong dis-incentives to even trying to keep up with my output-thus, what really ought to have been an epic battle and boarding action was given a shorter shrift than it deserved.

2nd ACR's SaRi/Thazi faction didn't get the word-count I wanted for them, but again, real lives take precedence and I'm not fully comfortable with writing his characters without him right there to say "no, you got that wrong, see? this is how you do it..."

again, better was deserved, but I under-served. 

I threw in 'scenarios' here and there where I couldn't quite work out in my head how something should go, or where I figured bored readers might enjoy seeing if they get the same outcome I wrote.

I'd love to get feedback on those, find out if I screwed the pooch beyond redemption or got it mostly right.

My villains: didn't get nearly enough development.

My heroes: didn't get nearly enough foils or development.  Borrowed heroes got less than they deserved as well.

Clan Snow Raven: I overused Alberto Crowe and didn't even KNOW about Dierdre McKenna.  He probably lived past his sell-by date in this because of that.

the Other Clans: looking back, mostly unnecessary, and I should've considered cutting them out entirely before it went to the forum, or given them more to do-this couples with the ground battles I skipped over, and would probably represent around twelve or thirteen separate stories by themselves.

Anyone who feels up to taking that on, go ahead, I THINK I gave enough detail that someone creative can extrapolate.

Now the general notes:

If it's easy, it isn't heroic.  I tried to not make the mooks too...mooky, and I hope I handed out enough pain and suffering to the main characters to make their triumphs and victories feel meaningful. 

I think the middle story showing Devlin Stone worked out really well-instead of my usual 'make him a tool' I actually tried to make him one of the good guys for real.  NOT sure how well that worked given the reveal we gave him, BUT I at least tried to make it feel like he was on the side of the angels, and not some Megalomaniac who got lucky, nor a puppet of the Word of Blake and their Master.  I found I'm not really comfortable writing the guy, even like this.  It's just so EASY to make him a snidely.

On the same vein, I tried to make Daoshen not a complete douche, while still sticking to the base concept of the character.  I feel less successful with that one, though it was fun to revisit the Kali Cult.

and of course, tear up my main character because that's part-and-parcel of heroes-they get ****** up.

There's been more surprises writing this for me-Amanda's growth curve, begun back in "Ridiculously Overboard", has been surprising to me.  she's really changed quite a bit and I can't explain how or why except that the wounded, insane child has grown into a reasonably effective young woman, a Lifetime in ten years, I guess.

I underused Elizabeth Cameron and glossed over a lot of her actions that are key to the setting.  Kinda feel bad about that one, given what I did to her, she deserved better.

Cecil Halford's ending was not in my original plan-I'd planned to have him survive, but a Heroic Death fit the character better in the end-and by 'heroic' I refer back to the rule I stated earlier;  "It isn't heroic if it's easy." He was fighting for a nation he loved, if not particularly liked, supporting an ideal (however twisted in practice it became).  He did not go down like a Punk, and I guess that's good enough.  Others may disagree.

"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

drakensis

• Lieutenant
Re: Notes on "Strategos" that should be acknowledged
« Reply #1 on: 05 July 2023, 06:36:59 »
As someone who plans fanatically, one thing I do is go back and forth between a timeline (list of events) and an outline (plan of scenes and viewpoints) through several iterations to try to ensure that I know what the viewpoint characters and doing and see if I have them in position to see the events or at least learn about them. Once I have that locked in, I can finalize a scene by scene outline that will probably cover what needs to happen, and trim out what doesn't need to appear. It's a lot of prep - easily as much as the actual writing.

There's an old term that engineering isn't complete once everything needed is fitted, it's complete when everything not needed is removed.

Specific to Strategos, the cast of characters is so large that it was sometimes hard for me to keep track. In particular, keeping Elizabeth and Helena Cameron straight was something I found difficult.
"It's national writing month, not national writing week and a half you jerk" - Consequences, 9th November 2018

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #2 on: 05 July 2023, 08:58:08 »
For my contributions:

I was actually kind of surprised how central of a character Billie Hoel became.  I suppose looking back it makes sense.

Deciding things later and not going back and fixing earlier stuff I wrote created some continuity errors.

I think I underestimated how potent the ATACs of Billie Hoel really made the M5s.  Like I probably could have had them pop that Texas over Sevon V way back when.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #3 on: 05 July 2023, 13:18:49 »
Clan Snow Raven: I overused Alberto Crowe and didn't even KNOW about Dierdre McKenna.  He probably lived past his sell-by date in this because of that.
given the timeframe the story takes place in, iirc, this can be excused i think. unlike the canon timeline, he had a legit war to give his detractors something useful to do, and it occured in a way that progressed his plans to more completely integrate the Clan and IS parts of the Alliance together at a speed that even his more critical allies could accept.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #4 on: 05 July 2023, 17:43:27 »
Your principal editor's verdict: you (and the Team) got it mostly right (and so did I)!  :thumbsup:

Thank you for listening to my quibbling, and I think the story overall was stronger for the discussions, even when they didn't go my way.

Overall: 5 stars, would edit again!  :)

Seriously: when the Navy finally fires me for being too old, I know what I'll be spending a good portion of my days doing...  8)

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 06 July 2023, 12:24:16 »
Seriously: when the Navy finally fires me for being too old, I know what I'll be spending a good portion of my days doing...  8)
ahh, borrowing government equipment and you a group of friends going Merc???

It was a good story

I was kinda of surprised that Cecil Halford that he died defending his government in a coup, I kinda expected him to stand down if they gave him the option.

Cannonshop, this view of Stone was so different then your normal, it was a good test of your skill at writing.

I do have a question, any idea how many "Implants" did they make?

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 06 July 2023, 16:53:01 »
ahh, borrowing government equipment and you a group of friends going Merc???

It was a good story

I was kinda of surprised that Cecil Halford that he died defending his government in a coup, I kinda expected him to stand down if they gave him the option.

Cannonshop, this view of Stone was so different then your normal, it was a good test of your skill at writing.

I do have a question, any idea how many "Implants" did they make?

The program lasted decades, and there were improvements and alterations to the design over that time, but it had to be kept somewhat secret or it would be worthless. 

Maybe a few thousand, most of them obliterated after completing a mission, a few extracted and reused, and the ones kept in storage or placed for 'future use'.   I left the exact numbers, and even the sequencing obscure in case someone else wanted to use them in THEIR story.

Now, a few thousand sounds like a lot, until you remember that the population of the Terran Hegemony was in the mid single-digit trillions by the time of the Amaris Coup, and that's nt even the REST of the Star League.

a few thousand super-exotic pieces of tech aren't even a demographic blip, but they ARE fairly easy to keep secret from the public.
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #7 on: 06 July 2023, 18:40:33 »
Agreed... "orders of magnitude" is often hard to grasp...  ^-^

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #8 on: 06 July 2023, 19:49:25 »
Great over-arching story.  Having begun to archive the story near and far, I think this most comprehensive team effect I've read in a long time.

I was delighted to see Gio's Emergence (from 2017) get briefly resurrected and given new life via Strategos.     

Having all these stories connected together was awesome! Make it read like epic saga!
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #9 on: 06 July 2023, 20:11:54 »
A team is what it was, and I know Cannonshop will be shy about claiming leadership.  I was at most the XO, and enjoyed the ride!  :thumbsup:

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #10 on: 07 July 2023, 21:05:39 »
Progress on the MekHQ mapping project for this.

I basically redid the ownership events from scratch for the planets that were already in MekHQ that showed up in story and fixed what was going on there.  I did not alter the population figures beyond the final 0 figure when the worlds became abandoned.  So yeah some of these worlds are going to have tiny population numbers.  Instead of going independent I had each world swap to Sons of Plunder Ownership.  I still don't have good/exact dates on when the Privateer Service comes in and liberates these worlds.  But I figure good enough.

Still need to figure out where my problem with the new systems are so I can get the new systems back on the map again.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #11 on: 07 July 2023, 21:56:02 »
Found it.

Church Stone, Darado, Jasper's Mine, and Nilea's Garden are all done enough to allow for MekHQ play on the primary inhabited world's surface.  So only nine more systems to go.  Yay.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #12 on: 07 July 2023, 22:36:06 »
It occurs to me how much this story also resembles two previous tropes/essays we've seen on the board, specifically "God is an AI Project Gone Bad" and "Kerensky was a Dick".
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 07 July 2023, 23:06:30 »
It occurs to me how much this story also resembles two previous tropes/essays we've seen on the board, specifically "God is an AI Project Gone Bad" and "Kerensky was a Dick".

I remember those essays when they were new...

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #14 on: 08 July 2023, 05:09:52 »
Me too!  ;D

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #15 on: 08 July 2023, 15:13:46 »
I had forgotten god as an AI
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #16 on: 21 July 2023, 19:30:54 »
Is there better link? Those things are dead links.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #17 on: 21 July 2023, 19:56:16 »

What the actual crap?  Those were working when I posted them!  Was there a board update that revised URLs for all our posts?

OK, I just hit Chanman's .sig again, and here we go:

General thread:
https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,172.html

God is a Star League Project Gone Bad
https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=172.msg1066#msg1066

Kerensky was a Dick:
https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=172.msg1071#msg1071
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #18 on: 21 July 2023, 20:58:23 »
Knightmare told me he's working on getting the "pretty links" working again, but they're down the priority list... Hopefully the emojis are higher on that list... :/

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #19 on: 23 July 2023, 22:26:23 »
What the actual crap?  Those were working when I posted them!  Was there a board update that revised URLs for all our posts?
yes there was, all my old links no longer are active but we can find them

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #20 on: 24 July 2023, 03:21:04 »
What I've discovered is that my index thread is so old, about a third of the links were posted before "pretty links" were even a thing.  So SOME of them still work...

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #21 on: 24 July 2023, 22:10:26 »
This one of the many reasons why I have turned archiving fan made stuff on the Battletech Fanon Wiki.
« Last Edit: 29 July 2023, 08:45:24 by Wrangler »

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #22 on: 27 July 2023, 22:05:42 »

Just going to leave that there as a progress report for how far I've gotten on the mapping project for MekHQ.

I can't promise it'll be 100% playable when done but I've done everything I know how to to try and make that possible.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #23 on: 28 July 2023, 03:14:13 »
Looking good! :)

wolfcannon

• Lieutenant
    • wolfcannon's photobucket album
« Reply #24 on: 31 July 2023, 13:16:15 »
May a question be raised?   can the Desmond AI and how it became so prolific be expounded upon and whom was used as the template?
Daniels Avenger                Clan Coyote
General Jennifer Daniels    Galaxy Commander Jim Skyes
                                        Omicron Galaxy
Clan Wolf in Exile
328th Assault Cluster(the Lion Hearted)
Star Captain James Sword

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #25 on: 31 July 2023, 13:27:56 »
Here's what I've gathered about the Desmonds:

They are not true independent sapient AIs, not really.  They need a host and as such much of their personality and how they present depends on their host and how many hosts they have been in previously, hence why Amanda's presented as a patchwork soldier(it had prior hosts) while Helena's presented as her father Simon(Helena's was a fresh unit with no prior hosts).

So there is no real 'template' exactly.

How it became so prolific, well we haven't really gotten to that detail of world building yet but my thought is we can thank a combination of Alabaster and the Word of Blake for that.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #26 on: 31 July 2023, 16:54:30 »
Tech-wise, I started with a Triple-Core Processor and added a few goodies around the edges.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #27 on: 31 July 2023, 17:40:12 »
Just poises a question, what happened to Desmond 01 when she "died"?

She survived in some form, but did he finally be a true AI.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #28 on: 31 July 2023, 17:45:05 »
That one's not mine to answer...

wolfcannon

• Lieutenant
    • wolfcannon's photobucket album
« Reply #29 on: 03 August 2023, 11:33:44 »
my “template” question as more to ask was “Desmond” a SLDF SAS soldier, was he just a soldier? spy? was he person before the Desmond 01? 
Daniels Avenger                Clan Coyote
General Jennifer Daniels    Galaxy Commander Jim Skyes
                                        Omicron Galaxy
Clan Wolf in Exile
328th Assault Cluster(the Lion Hearted)
Star Captain James Sword

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #30 on: 03 August 2023, 15:53:01 »
Amanda did die, she didn't fake it.   Essentially, Desmond by nature of his design requires human host to be "Whole".  Unfortunately, unless they figured out how to allow him to be a true AI, he's essentially in storage waiting for next host.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #31 on: 03 August 2023, 18:58:42 »
Again, not mine to answer, but I'm sure it's more complex than that.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #32 on: 03 August 2023, 20:07:32 »
the implications i got from the story is that because of how intermixed Amanda and Desmond had gotten, that the resulting AI would be the complete Amanda-Desmond mix. effectively a multiple personality AI. so AI Amanda still has Desmond as her invisible friend, he's just now a subroutine blended into her software instead of her physical wetware.

i suspect the Desmond hardware could have been recovered, and repaired.. but implanting it would just result in the creation of a blank desmond personality.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #33 on: 03 August 2023, 20:14:17 »
I'm not so sure it would be blank... that AI was particularly wily... ;)

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #34 on: 03 August 2023, 21:22:44 »
my “template” question as more to ask was “Desmond” a SLDF SAS soldier, was he just a soldier? spy? was he person before the Desmond 01?

My take on it, was he would have been orginally a long serving member of the a Special Force Unit, with total loyal to House Cameron.  Who has as he been implanted kept take on traits from his hosts.

Marathon

• Recruit
« Reply #35 on: 08 August 2023, 08:12:02 »

Hi Wrangler

Thanks for the update on what could go wrong/2ndAcr.

I see you are archiving - as someone relatively new to these forums, is there a central list of the work that prolific authors (eg. cannonshop, drakensis, others) have produced so readers can read it in order?

Not saying you are responsible for this or anything just thought you or one of the other long-term contributors might know, so I can read it the way it is intended is all.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #36 on: 08 August 2023, 16:23:56 »
Hi Wrangler

Thanks for the update on what could go wrong/2ndAcr.

I see you are archiving - as someone relatively new to these forums, is there a central list of the work that prolific authors (eg. cannonshop, drakensis, others) have produced so readers can read it in order?

Not saying you are responsible for this or anything just thought you or one of the other long-term contributors might know, so I can read it the way it is intended is all.

Sure, there considerable list for their works.  The site I'm archiving stories, like Strategos,  you can go Main Fan Fiction page of the wiki.

This one is for Alternate Universes, I know that sounds weird, but some of the stories are SO BIG they get big page linking their related stories / sourcebooks / custom mech&warships&etc together.

Marathon

• Recruit
« Reply #37 on: 08 August 2023, 16:55:38 »
Cheers much appreciated - will absolutely check these out :smiley_star:

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #38 on: 08 August 2023, 19:24:55 »
Welcome to the board, and one more post and you won't have to prove you're human anymore! :)

Marathon

• Recruit
« Reply #39 on: 09 August 2023, 09:26:13 »
I see what you did there  :grin:

I am human!!!!

I think. At least I used to think that until I read Far Country.

*raises comically small umbrella up against incoming BT-hate memes*

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #40 on: 09 August 2023, 18:31:35 »
You shouldn't see much in the way of hate memes here... the mods are GOOD! :)

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #41 on: 09 August 2023, 18:44:38 »
And most of us have a pretty good humor when it comes to Far Country.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #42 on: 09 August 2023, 19:19:35 »
ALSO true! :D

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #43 on: 09 August 2023, 20:56:45 »
As someone who used to shop at Peter Rice game store..  there was a plan, that never came into play with that book.

Marathon

• Recruit
« Reply #44 on: 10 August 2023, 11:51:26 »

Yeah it's always a conversation starter at least!

Thanks all for the assistance/welcome  :smiley:

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #45 on: 10 August 2023, 19:21:06 »
Welcome to verification-free posting! :)

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #46 on: 12 August 2023, 15:06:58 »
And I finally stopped being such a damned completionist about the mapping project.  Just did the absolute bare minimum to get the systems into MekHQ with ownership.  I did a fair number of things the 'not recommended way' but bleh.

Which means I probably made a few mistakes in addition to leaving things out.

If that really bothers people I do not mind sharing the Google drive link to the generated system data.  It's not hard, just super tedious to convert it to a format MekHQ will understand.

And now for the part everybody has been waiting for:  The MekHQ files!

Warning-Make a backup first if you want to roll back or put in a fresh install!
Also I make no promises that it'll generate contracts, RATs, of be otherwise feature complete with MekHQ but it should be good enough to at least be playable with manual scenario crafting.

If I have done everything right you should be able to just extract to an existing MekHQ install and it'll ask if you want to overwrite/replace.  Say yes.  Enjoy.