Author Topic: Weapons of War Saga Concludes: The Final March  (Read 13770 times)

Luciora

• Major
Re: Weapons of War Saga Concludes: The Final March
« Reply #30 on: 09 September 2023, 17:16:25 »
Eagerly awaiting more!

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #31 on: 09 September 2023, 22:49:13 »
Outside the Review board room
Port Orphan
24 September 3142

“Look at you in your dress uniform.  Careful or you might spark the interest of some young man.”  Saya smiled.

“Thanks mom.  I wish you could actually be in there with me.  They still are not telling me why it is a closed session.”

“I choose to take it as a good sign.  Means they want to talk about something confidential.  And that is usually a good sign that they are already interested in something more for you.”

“See you in a couple hours.”  Amanda hugged Saya.

Amanda entered the room with a smile.

I can not help but think I am making a terrible mistake not telling her.  Alas it is too late now.  I must be on my way.

Saya made her way to the hand to hand training area.

Hand to hand had never been her strongest arena of combat, she was a pilot after all, but she was not the worst at it either as she was still a Clan Warrior too.

She did not even bother using the changing area.  She just took off her jacket and fished a mouth protector out of her pocket.

“Mai.”  Saya managed.

“Saya.”  Mai answered.

“It is not too late to change your mind Saya Yeh.”  Otto was leaning against the far wall.

Saya simply shook her head.

“Very well.  Warriors to your marks.”  Otto commanded.

Saya and Mai stepped to their designated spots.

Mai was the first to launch their attack.  A hook that Saya barely moved out of the way of.

Slightly unbalanced Saya used that to help put more momentum into her own hook, which Mai was able to deflect into a glancing blow.

A quick jab came from Mai that Saya could not counter in time and connected with her right cheek.

Saya pulled her leg back to feint that she was about to launch a snap kick but instead planted it to give her a solid base to put power into her own jab that found Mai’s mouth.

Mai staggered back and spat out some blood.

She then closed in quickly and put her foot into Saya’s rib cage faster than Saya could react.

Saya decided to use the proximity to try and use her one big advantage, she was a taller, bulkier woman than Mai and in a grapple that would be to her advantage.

She tried to grab onto Mai but she stepped under the grab and put another blow into Saya’s ribs.

Then as Saya tried to bring her elbow down onto Mai’s head Mai slid to her left and put another shot into Saya’s ribs.

Saya was breathing harder now than she was before.  She didn’t think anything was broken yet but that could quickly change.

She is better at this than I am.  And not by a small margin.  She has learned too well.

Saya could feel her body was moving slower from the damage that Mai had already inflicted.  Even before Mai swept her plant leg out from under her when she tried to kick at Mai she knew she had moved too slow and telegraphed the move as a result.

And that was all Mai needed.

On her back Mai was on top of her pummeling blow after blow into Saya at a speed she just could not react to in such a poor position.

Yet Saya did not stop trying.

“Yield.”  Mai demanded.

Saya tried to punch at Mai but with Mai on top of her she was able to effortlessly turn away the blow.

With clear anguish on her face Mai put one last blow into Saya’s face that finally rendered her unconscious.

“Well done.  Now maybe you can see and finally understand it was Saya’s stubbornness that forced this outcome, not my bullshit.  Take her to medical and get yourself checked out and cleaned up too.”  Otto walked out of the training area.

"Not quite done yet."  a hand caught Mai's arm, and she nearly hit the person.

"Hold it in, this isn't the time, or the place."  James was Mai's 'Quartermaster' and executive officer.  He was a freebirtth and an ex-slave from Grankum.  "Let him think he won this round.  His kind always have a backup, and that needs to be disposed of first…and we can't let it be connected back to The Service."

"But it's not over." she insisted.

"It is for now, Captain,  bide your time."

“He’s right Mai.  Otto is the sort of man who will have back up plans.  Indeed I suspect he is about to enact one now.”  Billie Hoel’s avatar entered the room followed by some medics.

“What do you mean?”  Mai asked.

“It is simple really.  You knocked Saya out cold.  That will take time to remedy but to ensure he has leverage over Saya to keep her word…”  Billie answered.

“He is going to interfere with Amanda’s review board.”  Mai completed the thought.

“The good news is so it remains a point of leverage he is not going to spoil it and prevent her entry to Command Track he will only convince them to take a recess, maybe even engineer things so Amanda can visit her mother since her mother is injured.”

“I did not hurt her that badly.  Just as much as I absolutely had to.”  Mai defended herself.

“I know, Saya even knows, but that is a possibility for how Otto will frame it.”

“So what do we do?”  Mai asked.

“For now?  Let Saya recover.  She will answer his questions honestly.  Then he will not believe her.  There is no preventing that.”  Billie answered.

“You know what he will do to her then?  What I did to her was not permanent.  What he will order his goons to do…”

“I know.  And as I said there is no way to stop it.  At least as things stand.  I will tend to Saya.  But while you wait, maybe you can do me a favor.  The audio pickups for the internal comms in cargo bay 4 are acting up.  I currently cannot pick up any audio from in there.  All my technical teams are busy with other tasks.”  Billie smirked.

“Sure Billie.  I will get a team together and get to work on it.”  Mai caught the hidden message.

“I do appreciate it.”

Cargo Bay 4

Mai opened the door followed by James.

She was not surprised to see they were not the only two in there.

George, Nick, Elspeth, Ardis, and Alison Stabler were all in there too.

“That sneaky AI.  I think she just may know how to play the game better than Otto.”  Mai chuckled.

“Probably.  Officially we’re here to assist in any way you need for correcting the audio pickup and move some cargo.”  George nodded.

“So how do we help Saya without breaking any laws or regs?”  Alison asked.

“That is a good question.”  Ardis whistled.

“Especially without ruining Amanda’s career.”  George added.

“Clan tradition gives us some leeway for Amanda.”  Mai suggested.

“Yes.  By even implying that he may unduly influence Amanda’s review board, as a Clan Warrior with this knowledge you can issue a Trial of Grievance against Otto.”  Greorge offered.

“But a man like him is going to have a back up plan.  We have to figure it out.”  James spoke up.

“It is simple.  Much as there is always another me, there will be another Otto.”  The Envoy stepped out of the shadows.

“So as long as Saya, Amanda, and Alice are in reach of the Raven Watch they will always be under threat.”  Mai grunted in anger.

“Likely.”  The Envoy nodded.

“We have to get this information to Amanda somehow.”  Alison adjusted her glasses.

“Otto is arranging for a recess in Amanda’s review board as we speak.”  The Envoy closed then opened her eyes after a brief moment.

“We don’t have a lot of time then.”  Mai said.  "I thought it took a month to…replace you, Envoy?"

"I'm the spare." The Envoy said firmly, "There is a plan.  If we simply 'take' Amanda Yeh, it creates undesirable outcomes-your star sponsorship is soiled by a desertion, your Bloodhouse takes a political hit, and it weakens the Outworlds portion of the Alliance further by giving the Conservative rookery faction a reason to permanently conscript and dismantle the Privateers.  Kolossus sees this as undesirable."

"So what's the play?"

"YOU will assure that order is maintained and nobody suborns themselves." The Envoy stated, "MY role in this, is to give Otto exactly what he claims to want, while denying him his greater goal."

She glanced at the gathered 'Team'. "Kolossus has decided to extend an invitation to you, and your selected colleagues, to visit and create a report on Kolossus Station for the Alliance Military Corps and Raven Alliance, you are tasked to select acceptably intelligent individuals from the Clan Contingent as nominees, Kolossus suggests you include Otto Chand in your considerations."

Mai looked skeptical, but then, James spoke up, "It's not a kidnapping if he volunteers to go…"

"If he refuses, it will be seen as being a political game that does not benefit the Clan." Mai understood.  "Why now?"

"Secrets are only useful for a finite period of time.  When they become irrelevant, they may be abandoned."

“And if he sees the truth for himself, Saya, Amanda, and Alice are no longer viable pawns in his twisted game.”  Alison smiled.

“Alison, since you are medical track you can access the medical bays and deliver this information to Saya without issue.  Elspeth you go tell Amanda.  The rest of us will stick with Mai.”  George ordered the gang.

“Take this with you.  It is a recording of a conversation between Cossack, Billie Hoel, and Alice.  It contains details on Amanda’s parentage that are now about to become quite known that Saya and Phoenix decided to keep from her.  I’m not sure I agreed with their reasons but they had them and they are her parents.  But now there is no preventing Amanda from learning the truth.  The one thing I do regret is the situation does prevent Saya and Phoenix from having a say in this or telling their children themselves.”  The Envoy handed a datachit to Elspeth.

Saya’s medical room

Amanda Yeh M5 7775551 walked into Saya’s room.

The playback of Billie Hoel, Cossack, and Alice’s conversation about the Yeh daughter’s parentage stopped.

“You should have told me.”  Amanda scowled.

“I did not so you could honestly say you did not know.  I made that decision long ago and Phoenix agreed but was less certain.  Now it has resulted in nothing but pain.  For that I apologize.  I was wrong.”  Saya looked away from her daughter in shame.

“Well Alice has already forgiven you.  And I guess I can understand the logic but really?  Keeping that from us?  I’m so angry I can’t even properly put it into words.”

“With how things worked out it was clearly a mistake.  I cannot deny that.  I wish I could have at least told you myself.  You deserved that much.  I would have too if given the chance.”

“Now we’ll never know.”  Amanda huffed then left the bay.

“I may have ruined my relationship with my daughter.”  Saya said to herself.

“Amanda is just raw right now but given enough time I am certain she will get over it.”  Billie Hoel’s voice came over the comm system.

“You and Cossack did not give me a chance to tell Alice first.  Because of that Amanda also had to find out the truth from elsewhere.”

“Yes.  We clearly overstepped.  That information should have come from you…”

“Your maternal instincts kicked in.  My Alice has always been pained about that and you sensed it.  So to ease it you told her.  I find I can not sustain my anger in the face of that fact.”  Saya shook her head.

“I still need to make it up to you somehow.”

“Just tell me that there are going to be consequences for Otto Chand.  He is the worst kind of snake.  Just correct enough to get the support of others but self deluded and self righteous enough that they do not care about the means they use to get to their ends and think they are justified in doing so.  Always the actions of others, never them that cause them to do distasteful things.”  Saya answered.

“Oh yeah.  Kolossus has actually invited him for a visit.”  Billie Hoel chuckled.

“That should be most entertaining.”  Saya chuckled then winced as her ribs were still sore.

Warrior's reception area, Port Orphan Station.

She walked past staff, who gave a nod, and she gave it back, to the official offices of the Clan Watch, whose Elemental guards stared.

"Lenny, Tonya!! I told you, I'd be back!" she Smiled at them.  "Your boss.  Kolossus has sent me to deliver a message, and this one doesn't even come with special effects!"

“And what is this message?”  Lenny asked.

She bounced up in the deck's .75 gravity and booped his nose, "An Invitation of course!!" and giggled, while Tonya's astonished stare turned to a sort of sour frown.   "Kolossus wants to normalize relations with The Clan, Otto's name came up as a likely candidate, and I was given an invite to deliver!"

“Good, then this matter will be settled once and for all and soon.”  Lenny let out a breath of relief.

"In-Deed!!" she crossed her hands behind her back, "SO, is the bossman in?"

“Not at the moment but we will inform him of your arrival and message.  He should be here shortly after.”  Lenny shook his head.

"Oh Good! How's my hair look? It's not too messy is it?" she seemed almost comically concerned, "not often I actually get to do real diplomacy out here…"

“But… She… Savashri!”  Tonya muttered.

“Aff.  You look presentable.”  Lenny said flatly.

"Excellent!  Since we ARE waiting, I don't suppose he kept my violin, it's such a hassle getting a new one tuned…"

“I am uncertain if it is still in his possession.  It is possible that it was donated to the local schooling programs.”  Lenny shrugged.

"Ah well, A new one might go better with the new jacket." she dismissed, "it's in better hands with the kids anyway…"

“You wished to see me?”  Otto’s voice came from behind the Envoy.

Her wide smile was back, and like a magic trick, she turned, extending a flat envelope.  "For You!!!" she declared, "An Invitation, from Kolossus!!  Details are inside.  Now I've done that, you can bring your answer to my usual hangout once you've determined the details."
And skipped past him.

“Most interesting.”  Otto began to open the invitation.  "It is…engraved?"

The triflolded cardstock was, indeed, engraved.

With sparkly dust and colored inks, even.

"Has this been tested-?  No…well I guess we find out if it has been poisoned." Otto shook his head.

You are Hereby Invited!!

Kolossus Invites YOU, Otto Chand, for a visit and inspection tour to discuss in a civil manner topics of mutual interest between Clan Snow Raven, Clan Snow Raven's Watch, and Kolossus.  This invitation is in-person and you are allowed to bring up to twenty guests, staff, and assistants of your choosing, along with the personnel listed below;

George
Nick
Ardis
Elspeth
Alison Stabler
Amanda Yeh M5 7775551

Transportation will be provided to the venue, accommodation for listening and recording devices is permitted.

Please RSVP to your local Envoy at their habitual area, please respond promptly.  This matter is of some importance to your Clan.

Kolossus.

“Well this is most interesting.  I wonder what brought on this sudden cooperation?”  Otto muttered as he studied the invite.

“ovKhan…Are you sure it was wise to just open and handle that message?”  Tonya asked.

“Aff.  Despite all that has transpired between us and Kolossus and the Envoy they would not do anything as foolish as lace the message with anything harmful.  But it would still be wise for the techs to examine it.”  Otto answered.  “Twenty people.  A point of Elementals, just enough to show we are able to defend ourselves if need be without being too threatening.  The rest I will pull from our support personnel.  Interesting that Kolossus is asking for these others in particular.  Tonya take the invite and envelope to the lab.  Lenny I shall be in my office making the arrangements.”

“Seyla.”  Lenny affirmed.

“Aff.”  Tonya grabbed the envelope and paper with gloved hand.

'park' recreation deck…

She adjusted the strings on the new fiddle.  This one was from a merchant out of Fallry, made from a bright, almost enamel-colored native wood from that world.  The bow drew across the strings in a scale, testing the tune and the tone.

It was quite acceptable as fiddles go.

Otto walked up to her and held out an offprint.

“The list of guests you requested.”

"Excellent." she lowered the instrument, and accepted the print, "Okay, we leave tomorrow."

“I must admit I am surprised at the sudden shift.  Much of the past could have been avoided.”

"Secrets have a duration, Otto." she told him, "When they become obsolete, it's time to end them.  Kolossus made the call while you had my prior body in interrogation, but light only goes so fast.  I was fortunate enough to have a spare ready this time after the last two times."

“Another question if I may?  Why the members of the Privateer service?  I am curious why they are also invited.”

"Nostalgia on my part, though Kolossus has a purpose of Kolossus' own there." she answered, "Have you figured it out yet?  You've had me in narco multiple times and I've died in interrogation thrice so far, have you doped it out? Do you have a working theory?" she asked idly.

“I am no scientist but the most likely possibility despite how fantastical as it sounds is Kolossus has found a way to copy human memory to new bodies.  Cloning bodies is not entirely far-fetched given our ability to clone organs and limbs.”

"The Star League had that ability, it's where the M-5 came from, and the Desmond systems.  But that's the right track.  Every AI used to be someone else...except Kolossus.  Kolossus is a 'pure' artificial intelligence, Kolossus literally does NOT have a 'human soul' at Kolossus' core, Otto…but I did, I do."

“And there are those who wonder why we are concerned.  No matter.  I am just glad we can finally be done with this matter.”

"MY boss, Kolossus, would agree that it's reasonable to be concerned." she nodded. "Some AI are dangerous.  One of the most dangerous is confirmed to be dead now, so the secret is no longer…current, it is obsolete."

“Oh and which AI was this?”

"Systems Regular Operations Manager AI 'Alabaster', Terran Hegemony Intelligence's Signals branch, embedded into Comstar.  It suicided in 3132.  Kolossus had to verify it was, in fact, gone."

“Interesting.  Another item to add to my report.”

"Indeed.  Well, business is done, would you like a song?" she asked.

“I have other matters that require my attention, perhaps another time.”  Otto smiled, bowed slightly then left.

She smiled enigmatically, and began to play anyway-a proper classical piece for violin from some distant era echoed in the park-like rec area as he walked away.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #32 on: 10 September 2023, 06:07:42 »
I thought Alabaster more went into a dormant state... ???

Euphonium

• Captain
  • Look Ma, no Faction!
« Reply #33 on: 10 September 2023, 06:15:38 »
"Systems Regular Operations Manager AI 'Alabaster', Terran Hegemony Intelligence's Signals branch, embedded into Comstar.  It suicided in 3132.  Kolossus had to verify it was, in fact, gone."

Really? Now that's a twist I wasn't expecting.
>>>>[You're only jealous because the voices don't talk to you]<<<<

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #34 on: 10 September 2023, 06:25:02 »
Here's what I was referring to:
All remaining nodes will operate in independent mode until Clarion can be terminated.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #35 on: 10 September 2023, 14:59:16 »
part of me wants see stats for those Army of AI LAMs and Tanks Helena Cameron is suppose to get bulk up her force of arms.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #36 on: 10 September 2023, 15:14:23 »
I believe those designs have been solicited for down in the design forum... ;)

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #37 on: 10 September 2023, 21:17:29 »
Indeed and pretty sure most everything has a stat now.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #38 on: 10 September 2023, 23:55:49 »
Murakami's crew would go for it in a heartbeat... ;)

Well, yeah.  That's kind of been Murakami's late-game goals anyway: build a fleet of Aegises, supported by Pentagons and Titans, field hordes of drone LAMs and Tachikomas for ground work, and build up enough of a force to be able to be able to actually be taken seriously on a large scale to try to fix things.  Well, that, or start over elsewhere.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #39 on: 11 September 2023, 07:35:59 »

"Transportation will be provided?"  the docking area's airlock flashed green.

What sat in the docking cradle was shaped…differently.  Still recognizably a jump-capable ship, with large maneuver engines, vaguely reminiscent of a corvette.  "Billie, how long has this been here?"

"It docked with the Envoy aboard last night, why?"  Billie's avatar asked.

"Last night."  Amanda Yeh scowled, "and you told nobody??"

"I informed Station Management." Billie said primly.

"Yourself."

"I often have to tell myself things. How else would I know them?"

"You didn't tell anyone else!"

"I often have to keep secrets, this was diplomatic traffic."

“Hmmm… I guess but then you told my sister who dad really is.”  Amanda said.

"She asked me the right way."

“I still am not happy about learning from a recording but then again this whole situation is screwed up in ways I’m not sure I’ll ever understand.”  Amanda shook her head.

"Just imagine what it's like from the other side, Amanda."  The Envoy  seemed to appear out of nowhere, and checked her watch, "Well, Otto's a little late, I must get on that man about checking his clock."

Ardis cleared his throat, "You didn't specify a time."

"Oh! Right!! Too true.  Everyone's got your goodie bags packed?"

“Yes.”  Alison nibbled on some chocolate confection.

"Good-good-good. Simple enough rules once you're aboard Tiny Armature, hands and other extremities stay inside except at designated stops, library's open, so are other designated guest areas, and please keep in mind, his sense of humour is…childish. He means no offense."

“As long as he doesn’t try hitting on any of us we should be fine.”  Amanda shook her head.

"As I said, don't take it seriously." The envoy commented, "Because Tiny probably will..."

“Great.  Nick try not to punch anything for it trying to steal your girlfriend.”  George said.

"No promises." Nick muttered.

“Besides I know who I like.” Alison blushed.

The Watch arrived, clan-style in full kit.

"Oh good, everyone's here now.  Boarding this way." The Envoy motioned for them to follow.

"I do not recognize the class."  Otto stated.

"Probably not, Tiny's new."  The Envoy explained as if it settled everything, "i already warned the others, his sense of…decorum…is that of a poorly socialized fourteen year old boy with raging hormones and a childish sense of humour."

"Nothing a logic probe won't fix." Kralle, the senior Signals tech, noted. 

"Please don't lobotomize your ride in flight?"

“Aff.  We are guests.  We should all behave as such.”  Otto smiled.

Clamshell doors opened revealing the iris of the personnel lock.  "Double locked?" Otto observed.

"Stylistic choice by the designer, it can handle personnel size loads, or larger." The Envoy explained, "the clamshell is to prevent unauthorized boarding, it locks down in flight and only unlocks by a command from the CIC.  a tickler will just cut the power."

"How fast is she-"

"He." she corrected, "Tiny Armature is very much a 'he'...which gets annoying at times."

"How fast?"

"Two point five gees on safe thrust, four if he lights up the sunlight drives at full, but with passengers we'll be cruising at one."

“I see.”  Otto gave a quick glance to one of the support personnel who quietly made notes.

"NEW?" one of the techs was almost delayed reacting.  "Kolossus has a shipyard?"

"Yes.  The ship class is yet unnamed over-all, but this one is tested on some runs, so Tiny's 'safe' for passenger service and courier duty."

“Seems impressive.  Small Corvette size is it not?”  Otto asked.

"I'm not small where it counts." a boyish voice came over the comm.  "Welcome aboard. Hey! Can I show them CIC??  It's really cool and we worked really hard to make it people-friendly and…"

The Envoy held out a placating hand, "How about if you show them to their seating first, you can show them the command deck after?"

"Oh, right…okay…"

“Yes.  From what I understand we will have some time during this trip for other activities.”  Otto tried to put some charm in his voice.

The trip led them to a personnel quarters level with rooms already marked out for the entire party, set radially around a galley area.
"This…is very…nice?" 

"Tiny isn't mature enough for a full military layout," The envoy explained.

“Still more space than what we get on a Bonnie.”  Amanda said.

"This is luxurious compared to a Union IIC." Tonya noted, "usually barracks levels are crammed and cramped."

"Diplomatic service currently.  This level can be converted to house up to one hundred infantry in bay-type configurations." Tiny's voice explained, as a screen lit, showing a young teenage boy with a cowlick and odd, curly hair.  "When I'm ready, Kolossus says I'll get the full ordnance package.  Right now I have to do with just point defenses and light stuff."

Amanda glanced at Alison who nodded her head after a moment.

Ardis did some mental math, "You'll be slower then, won't you?" he asked.

"Yah…gotta sacrifice speed when the extra tonnage gets added, the core doesn't get bigger." Tiny confirmed.

"How much?"

"Kolossus won't say, but I won't get to Cruiser size, or firepower, and I'm supposed to still be relatively quick for a Destroyer once I've…matured enough.  Which sucks, I want to be like one of the big ones…"

“Some of us have a fondness for Destroyers, especially the Lola frame.”  Amanda smirked.

"So…you are incomplete, or just upgradeable?" Otto inquired.

"Upgradeable!" Tiny replied, "Everything on board is modular, and I've got an oversize power distribution net to handle it!!"  the boy-image said enthusiastically.  "But Kolossus says I'm not ready for that much capability yet.  Kolossus says I have to 'grow into it more."

“Much like us humans must learn and spend time in service before we get to command a ship.”  Amanda nodded.

"Kolossus says that too, but it sucks. I want to be big NOW… anyway! We've got departure clearance, everyone sit?"

Everyone stowed their bags and strapped into their seats.

“That’s right ladies.  You can hold on to me as tight as you want.”  Tiny said as the clamps released and he separated from the station.

The engines slowly came up once Tiny was far enough from the station.

“So you want to hang later and watch some holovids?”  Tiny appeared on the closest monitor to Amanda.

“I’m going to be quite busy this trip.”  Amanda said.

Once the engines evened out Amanda released her straps as did Alison.

Then Alison went into Amanda’s quarters.

Curious Tiny switched to his allowed feeds only to see Amanda and Alison taping over the cameras.

“We’ll take it off later.  We promise, we just want some privacy right now.”  Amanda said as she taped over the last camera.

“But there are only cameras in the common area of the room, not in the bedrooms or showers.”  Tiny tried to protest.

“We know but with what we’re about to get up to we’re going to need the common area too.”  Amanda giggled.

{Okay we’re going to have to communicate like this.}  Amanda used sign language.

{So how bad should we tease him?}  Alison signed.

{Let’s just build up a good sweat, enough to get our faces flush and breathing hard, and let his cameras catch just enough of us zipping our suits back up to be suggestive.}

{That’s good.  Oh hey give me one of your spare bras.  I’ll pretend I grabbed the wrong one and bring it back later.}

{When you do hide one of yours with it.}

{Duh.  Have to complete the ruse.}

{I wonder if we’ll actually get him to blow a circuit.}

{If not we’ll just have to figure out a more thorough way to tease him.}

{Okay time to take off the outer layer.}

“It has been way too long since we did this.”  Amanda spoke out loud as the two unzipped their outermost layer of clothing.

“I know.  I almost forgot what it was like.”  Alison giggled as she tossed her top on a chair.

“I forgot how ticklish you are.”

“It is an unfair advantage you’ve always had on me.”

“Okay enough loafing.  Time to get to the real work.”

“Yeah.”

About an hour of intense exercise and grappling practice later

“Oh yeah that’s the spot.”  Amanda said as Alison was massaging her upper back.

“Right here?”  Alison applied more pressure.

“Ooohhh… Not so rough.”

“You’ll feel a lot better in a moment.”

“Mmmmm….  Oh yeah.  You’ll have to finally teach me how you do that one of these days.”

“Trade secret.”

“Need a shower after all that.”

“Yeah.  Okay time to take the tape off the cameras.”

{You think he was listening in?} Alison signed

{It’d be a shame if he wasn’t.}

{Well now I’m actually in the mood to have some fun with Nick.}

{Slightly jealous.}

{Your standards are too high.  You need to loosen up so that when you do find the right guy you won’t be completely clueless as to what to do on a date.}

{Don’t make me throw a pillow at you! Ready?}

{Yeah.}

Amanda took the tape off the common room camera.

It clearly started panning around the room just in time for Alison to finish zipping up her jacket and adjust her glasses.

Those two are mean!  But hot.  Okay play it cool.  Maybe I’ll see something interesting when they do their physical training later.  Tiny thought to himself.

“Have fun ladies?”  Tiny tried to sound innocent.

“Sure did Tiny.  Sorry about the tape but we’re weird like that when we do our training.”  Amanda answered.

“Yeah.  I only like dressing down like that in select company.”  Alison giggled.

“Well let me know next time and I promise to turn off the cameras so you don’t have to tape over them.”  Tiny offered.

“For being such a good boy, sure.  Next time we’ll take you at your word.”  Amanda smiled.

CIC was quiet.  "Are you being good, Tiny?"  Persuasion asked. 

"Define good?"  Tiny deflected.

"You're not spying on your guests, are you?"

"I'm just maintaining safety requirements." Tiny deflected again.  "There was some interruption on my interaction interface with the guest quarters."

"Malfunction?"

"No.  Tape.  I think they think I'm being a peeper."  his avatar appeared on a side-screen, "Persuasion, why would they think that? Did you say something?"

"I might've mentioned your love of dirty stories." she said.

'That's mean!"
"Yes, it is." she nodded.  "Status?"

"We're still three standard days from the jump point." he answered, "Charging is going well on main drive, fuel use is within green zone expectations, environmental systems are functioning normally."

"If you were a peeper, who'd you be watching?" Persuasion asked, "Just curious."

"Nick seems neat, and there's an increase in Alison's heart rate when they're close, along with  surface temperature increases on both their skin when they look at each other.  Which doesn't jibe with the audio logs I just recorded between Alison and Amanda, which fits with several stereotypes of erotica, but no physical signs of attraction of that sort on file…"

"They're messing with you."

"Can I mess with them back then?" he asked.

"Keep it classy, Tiny.  You don't want bad feelings by the end of the trip."

"I should like to obs-"

"Don't do that." she cautioned.

"How am I supposed to learn anything real if I don't observe the processes? Besides, they MESSED WITH ME."

“One if they’re really doing that they would go into the bedroom where you can’t watch anyway.  Two trust me when I say violating privacy like that is a bad idea.”

"Oh! So only observe in public areas, and what they're willing to show to others! Thanks!!"

His image blinked out.

"What have I just done?"

Tiny Armature ran through the recreational and music files in the ship's onboard library, while another portion of the AI's attention pored through data on human dating cycles and rituals as depicted in popular media over the last thousand years.

More than a few options were off the table.  Rose petals weren't in stores, the bathing spaces were showers, not bathtubs, and the provisioning didn't really include many of the staples in humanity's writings like oysters or wine.
These deficits would have to be resolved later but for now he would make do with what he had.

But mood music?  There were petabytes of mood music from human media and he could control the lights.

Internal monitors showed his guests were starting to move around the permitted areas of the ship.

okay, play with me? Alright, let's play…

Nick and Alison were in the galley area. He reduced lighting by twenty percent, shifting from blue-white to a 'warmer' hue range, and queued up 24th Century Classix artist Diedro Nahama's 'Love theme from Avalon' at low volume, adjusting the speaker outputs to make it as ambient as possible.

“You arrange this?”  Alison looked at Nick.

“Neg.  Though I must admit the music is pleasing.”

“Well I didn’t… Hmmm…”

Tiny detected Otto coming out of his quarters, and immediately cut the music and shifted the lighting to normal.

“Oh my, was I interrupting something?”  Otto asked innocently.

“No.  Not really.”  Alison hesitated.

With that first test, Tiny now had his first self-directed experiment.  Kolossus will be so proud of me for finding a new experiment of my own!

“Well I shall keep my interruption to a minimum so you two can go back to whatever it is you weren’t doing before I came along.”  Otto smiled.

interesting.  I wonder if I can influence everyone's moods this way..?  It would be something to keep him occupied.  Tiny began matching music to each member of the guest party based on their known algorithms and preferences.

Otto quickly grabbed his meal then went back to his quarters.  In the corridor, a faint steady rhythm from a 22nd century spy movie started to follow him to his quarters…

“Most peculiar…  Tiny is it?  Is there some fault in your audio systems?  I did not ask for music.”  Otto said as he opened his hatch.

"What music?"

“I will take that as a yes then.  I highly recommend you run a full diagnostic on your audio systems.  There seems to be a song following me around and I did not ask for one and I am reasonably certain I am not hallucinating.”  Otto said as he sat down at the provided desk.

"Maybe it's your theme…?"

“I do not have a theme following me around elsewhere.  There is a fault in your systems.  Address it.”

"I'll run a few more tests." Tiny assured him.

This is going to be so fun!!

Amanda came out of her quarters stalked by a heavy synthrock theme from the flying scenes of a Federated Suns action drama about the War of 3039, Dancer’s Theme.

She looked around and found Alison and Nick still in the galley.

“Ugh…  Worst part is I used to love this song when I was nine and watching the movie it is from on the trivid but now that I’m grown up, it’s grating on my ears a bit.”  Amanda joined them.

“Hmmm, it actually seems to go well with the music Tiny is playing for us though.”  Nick observed.

“You know now that you mention it, it shouldn’t but the two songs do just seem to work…”  Alison focused on the competing songs.

“You know what this is in response to don’t you?”  Amanda said.

“Yeah.  We got two choices.  Which do you want to go with?”  Alison asked.

“Something tells me this will not end well.”  Nick said as Amanda grabbed Alison’s hand then intertwined her fingers with Alison’s.  “I will be in my room when this blows up in your faces.”

"Get Ardis to fix it?" Alison asked.

"I think so."

“You know this is most likely because he figured out what we really did earlier.”  Alison pointed out.

“Yeah.  We should stop by Elspeth’s too.  Ardis will probably need her help.”
“Yeah.  All’s fair in prank wars.”

“Careful Alison.  Don’t want to give Tiny ideas, there should be limits.”

“Oooohhh….  Yeah.  Should we even bother to keep walking hand in hand?”

“In this case I consider it a reward for Tiny.  He’s got us this round.”

“He does deserve a little something doesn’t he?”  Alison brought Amanda’s hand up and kissed the back of it.  “Okay that was weird.  No offense Amanda, you’ve got a body that most women would kill for and thus I can understand why lesbians would fall all over you but…  Yeah.  Doing that even for show for Tiny’s sake was weird.”

“None taken.  Neither of us are actually that way.  So that particular ruse was destined to fail if we kept escalating it anyway.”

“So what is our next play?”

“Later.”  Amanda pushed the button on Elspeth’s panel to alert her that she had visitors.

“Just a second…  Where did I leave my bra…  There it is!  Coming!”  Elspeth answered.

Elspeth was still adjusting her shirt and coveralls when she opened the door.

“We come at a bad time?”

“Oh no.  I just got out of the shower.”  Elspeth answered as her hair shined in the light to confirm the fact.

“You notice any music following you around?”

“Yeah.  I kind of like it.”  Elspeth answered.

“Not everybody does and if we don’t get it to stop it is only going to be a matter of time before it causes an incident.”

“Aw.  I hate that you’re right because I really like Tiny’s selection for me.  It is a jingle from a commercial for a breakfast product that I used to see all the time when I was young and brings back some of the few good memories I had from before I met you guys.”

The music changed as the three walked to Ardis’ room.  A slow synthetic rhapsody that none of the women recognized.

Alison pressed the call button on Ardis’ door.
Ardis opened the door, tool kit in hand.

“Ah good, you already grabbed Elspeth.  Okay let’s get to work.”  Ardis said.

“Don’t like your theme music Ardis?”  Elspeth asked.

“Not particularly, no.  It is distracting.”  Ardis answered.

“Let’s fix that shall we?”  Amanda smiled.

“Yeah.”  Ardis joined them.

“This new theme, it seems familiar…”  Alison pondered.

“It’s Ezekial Waznowsky’s fusion of the electronic synthesized version of The Beast of the Outback and the theme from Immortal Warrior 52.”  Ardis stated flatly.

“Shit it is, isn’t it?  I didn’t even notice it until you pointed it out.”  Amanda was amazed.

“This way.”  Ardis led the small entourage.

They followed him through several passageways and compartments until he stopped them.

“Elspeth I’ll need you to hook in there and run interference for me so I can work.  Amanda, Alison.  Well if you can think of a way to help distract Tiny, that might help this go faster.”

“And you know I’m slightly hurt that you didn’t ask me to be in on your little scheme and went with Alison instead.”  Elspeth added.

“Only because I know you so well and know how method you get.”  Amanda defended herself.

“True.”  Elspeth answered as she hooked her rig into Tiny’s system.

“How long?”  Amanda asked.

“Depends on how much Tiny fights back.  So get to the distracting.”  Ardis started pulling a wall panel off.

“Okay, back to the galley and distract him there?”  Amanda looked at Alison.

“Yeah.”

The two were chased by an old song called Entry of the Gladiators.

In the Galley, one of the Watch Techs (Bethany) was standing on a table, angrily shouting at the air, "You Could try something Original!!"

The music cut off.

“Better!”  Bethany started climbing off the table.  "Instead of playing what everyone else plays on the common entertainment…top forty crap... Oh!  Hey." 

Amanda and Alison shared a quick giggle at the sight.

“Hello.”  Amanda said.  “The problem is being worked on, but say care to help us distract the AI?”

"I wouldn't mind so much, but I've just spent the last three hours dealing with a constant loop of the same frelling four songs-and I didn't LIKE stupid love song pop music when Cassie played it in the shop…"

“Well this is about to get weird.”  Amanda went to a panel and began tapping into the media library until she found a particular song.

“I’m Alison Stabler.”

“And I’m Amanda Yeh M5 7775551.”

"And I'm not drunk enough for this…Karaoke, really??"  Bethany visibly winced.

“And this is our distraction!”  The two women started dancing horribly out of synch with the music.

The beat was clearly Euro tech synth music that you could find in millions of dance clubs, painfully generic in many ways.  No real uniqueness to it.

Bethany scooped up her terminal, and headed for the p-way to the airlock.

“So Tiny, enjoying the show?”  Amanda asked as she danced, poorly.

The music cut off.

"Not really.  I thought it would be funny and I'd learn things.  Now everyone's mad at me and two of you are trying to hack my hardware."

“Things are getting out of hand aren’t they?”  Amanda admitted.  “We all really should just stop.”

“We’re sorry for being such teases.  It was mean of us.”  Alison offered.

“Yeah that was cruel.”  Amanda added.

"Some of it was funny…you just took it too far, Tiny."  Nick and George were standing in the door to the galley off their quarters.  "I liked that spoken-rhythm beat you were playing while we were sparring, y'know?" George said, "but you got intrusive with everyone, and some people don't react well to that at all."

"Boundaries." Nick added.

“And that jingle you found for me, well it was sweet.”  Elspeth walked into the galley.

“We were never actually hacking your systems.  But I did find this sub processor that needed replacing.”  Ardis held up a chip.

“You mean…”  Tiny seemed confused.

“Tiny I don’t blame you for focusing on Amanda, or even Alison, but being completely ignored?  Hurts a single girl’s feelings.”  Elspeth frowned.

“I am so confused…”  Tiny admitted.

“She’s saying she’s actually receptive.”  Amanda translated.

“Really?”  Tiny perked up.

“Yes.  Let’s just say I have a hang up that makes dating humans more of a commitment than I’m willing to make at this point in my life.”

“What does that mean?”  Tiny asked.

“Consider it a topic of discussion for later.”  Elspeth cut off Amanda as she was about to say something.

“And now it's time for me to finally have some proper alone time with my boyfriend.  Oh I still need to return your bra Amanda.”  Alison tugged on Nick’s arm toward her quarters.

“After you and Nick have fun.”  Amanda smiled.

Nick and Amanda disappeared into her quarters.

“To soothe things with the Watch personnel we will blame the faulty subprocessor Ardis found for the music and truthfully say the issue has been resolved if they ask for details.  That way no one has to face their wrath and it is what we should do to make up for Amanda and Alison’s prank.”  George said.

“Agreed.”  Amanda said.

“You’d really do that for me after we just met?”  Tiny asked.

“It is only fair since I started it and they are innocent victims in this and well I never gave you a fair chance to make a good first impression.”  Amanda nodded.

“We are a team.  We have each other’s backs, even when one of us makes a mistake that gets out of hand.  So it is the least we can do to make it up to you.”  George agreed.

“You guys…  Man if this was a holovid I think this is where we’d just become friends.”  Tiny said.

“We’re not quite there yet but there’s a good chance we’re now on that path.”  Amanda smiled.

“I’ll take it.”  Tiny said happily.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #40 on: 11 September 2023, 07:56:01 »
The Envoy didn't work over Tiny enough on the way to Port Orphan... ;D

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #41 on: 11 September 2023, 22:56:06 »
Elspeth’s quarters
26 September 3142

“So what do you want to do?”  Tiny asked.

“Maybe we can just talk for a while.”  Elspeth worked on organizing her clothing for the sixth time since agreeing to spend time with Tiny.

“Is there a problem?”  Tiny asked trying not to be too intrusive.

“Oh just being a bit OCD.  New ship, new layout.  Usually takes me a couple days before I finally figure out how I want to arrange my belongings in such situations before I am happy.”  Elspeth answered.

“Ah.  So what would you like to talk about?”  Tiny asked.

“Well I guess we should start with setting the proper expectations Tiny.  I am receptive Tiny but I am human and I do have a particular human desire.  I am a little young yet to really want to do that just yet but it is something I know I want to do.”  Elspeth started.

“You want children.  Something I currently cannot provide.”  Tiny reasoned.

“Yes.  But that’s not a deal breaker for me right now.  In fact, I don’t have to worry about that with you does make it easier for me to have a relationship with you.  See I’m one of those humans who doesn’t believe in casual or even pre-marital sex.  I believe it should be for making babies.  Because most guys do not go for that, at least the way I want, it does make dating a human difficult at times since I don’t use birth control.”

“But since I’m not human and thus not capable of such an act, I present about as ideal a partner as possible.”  Tiny finished the thought.

“Bingo.  I don’t know how long we’ll last before my desire to become a mother does present an issue or if we’ll break up over some other thing but that’s the risk of any relationship.”

“I appreciate that you’re willing to be clear about the parameters of our relationship so early on.”

“I know I’m being rather forward and telling you a very important thing about myself pretty early on in our relationship but we’re both smart enough to know if this is going to work we can’t entirely play by the human courtship playbook.”

“There’s a playbook?  How did I miss it?  Do you have a copy?”

“I was being metaphorical.  I guess what I mean is this relationship is going to be particularly unique.  You’re the first male AI I’ve ever dealt with.  And look at that.  I finally figured out how I want to arrange things while I’m your guest.”  Elspeth smiled.

“Congratulations.”

“Thanks.  I find myself strangely tired.”  Elspeth began taking off her outer most layer of clothing, down to just her skin suit.

“Elspeth…”  If Tiny could blush he would do so.

“It is because I feel safe in the fact that as much as you’re interested you’ll never actually force it.  And growing up the way I did does give one a slightly different perspective when it comes to modesty and privacy than most people.  Amanda’s actually the same way.  Alison’s just got one of those bodies that it is very difficult to find something for her to wear that she doesn’t make look good, at least when it comes to normal clothing.”  Elspeth re-assured Tiny.

“That means a lot to me Elspeth.  Thank you.  Though I am curious as to why Alison is still wearing glasses.  She has had corrective surgery and should no longer need them.”

“It is because Nick told her they make her look uniquely cute when they were younger.  So she keeps a couple pairs handy but they are entirely decorative but good luck getting her to part with them.  They’re at least made from materials that are considered safe for space travel and emergency situations that arise during space travel.”

“I see.  No, Nick’s correct.  They do give her a unique look.  But you look incredible in your own way too Elspeth.”

“Good recovery Tiny.  I know our date is a bit short tonight but how about I make it up to you tomorrow after breakfast?  Riff on Star League Science Ninja Team versus The Thing from Proxima 9?”

“That sounds fun Elspeth.”

CiC

“OhMyGodOhMyGodOhMyGodOhMyGod”  Tiny was absolutely frantic.

“Calm Tiny.”  Persuasion soothed.

“I don’t know how the hell I pulled it off but I got one of them to talk with me and it’s going well.”

“So what’s the problem?”

“Equal parts I’m worried I’m being messed with again and Elspeth doesn’t mind me looking.”

“Play back your conversation for me.  Include the video.”

A few moments later

“Well Tiny unless I’m completely off the mark she’s not messing with you.  She’s actually willing to make an honest go of whatever it is you two are starting to develop.”

“Help!  I don’t want to mess it up!  She’s super hot and nice and…”

Persuasion held up her hand.

“Okay Tiny.  She’s already given you the first hint.  She likes making fun of old, bad holovids.  Research an ancient early space flight series:  Mystery Science Theater 3000.  That will help with what she is expecting of you.  But don’t take it too literally.  Like don’t actually trap her or mess with the air.  Also no random starting and stopping the movie.  If she wants to take a break let her.  And keep it to just the two of you.  I know there are three characters but trust me, just the two of you.  Not even doing your version of ventriloquism.”

“ThankYouThankYouThankYouThankYou!”  Tiny was frantic again, but obviously in a different way.

“Why do I have a bad feeling about this…”  Persuasion let herself slide down on the command couch.

Galley
27 September 3142

“You and Tiny?  Really?”  Amanda said as Elspeth sat across from her.

“Why not?  You know what life on a ship is like and how most guys in our age range are.”  Elspeth answered.

“Fair.  but you know that you two probably won’t last past our return trip.  At least not for very long.”

“I know.  With the HPGs down and me being in the service it makes long distance relationships even more difficult than before.  But for now I’m letting myself loose and enjoying the moment.”

“Screw the odds eh?”

“Maybe.  We’ll see.  I just know I don’t want to put a time limit on it unless I absolutely have to.”

“Damn, you must be really pent up.”

“You’re one to talk.  When was the last time you even had a date?”

“I guess I really am the kettle calling the pot black aren’t I?”

“And now that you have realized it the next thing you’re going to realize is Tiny could have been a good release for you too if you hadn’t decided to mess with him but now it’s too late because we’re dating and you know how I am about sharing.”

“It took a week for the marks to go away last time I tried taking some of your popcorn during movie night.”

“Well me and Tiny are having another date.  So you have fun.”  Elspeth put her dishes in the dishwasher then went into her quarters.

“Damn it.  I hate when she’s right.”  Amanda groaned.

Reception Area
Kolossus Station
9 October 3142

The Sign was infamous.

The Rules.

"He did not change the sign?"  Otto wondered.

"There have been a couple changes…see?"  The Envoy quipped, "Katakana script in Japanese, mixed script in Swedenese, French translation, German, and Vietdeutsch."

"I..what the hell is 'vietdeutsch'?"

"There are some speakers in Ender's Cluster and a few of the 'worldless' spacer families since the Jihad."  she said casually, "Most descent from the survivors of Kowloon."

"Why would it matter to Kolossus??"  Otto inquired.

"Because some of his Envoys spend time with them.  My sister Priss spent most of the last decade with a Deen Li Danh crew from the Boojum line."  she explained, "They're good contacts if you want to know what the Jade Falcons or the Regulans are doing…and they've got residency here."

"You brought in outsiders?"

"Shipyards need skilled labor, and Kolossus is reluctant to poach from the Alliance or the Recovered worlds taken from the Sons of Plunder." she explained, "The Deen Li Danh people have ancestral ties to Free Stars, so negotiations went well, and they obey the rules...and we don't have to find them a planet, because they're terrified of being pinned down on one."

"This is going to go into my report, you do understand that, Quiaff?" Otto groused.

"Of course.  Kolossus is inclined to let it be known." The Envoy told him.  "Kolossus has been mulling on taking in Immigrants-for permanent residency.  Skills are required and there's a few tests…which is very different from the refugees Kolossus has also taken on."

"What differences?' Amanda inquired.

"Citizens versus Charity."  The Envoy stated, "There are limits to Charity, but Citizens expand those limits via productivity and innovation.."

The lift opened, and the party stepped in.

"Where are they?"

"We're in an unsettled region of the station, to give your people a bit of room to breathe and stretch."  The Envoy stated, "The station is, after all, quite large, and not the only inhabited volume in the system these days."

Otto snapped his fingers, "this expansion, it means you cannot remain hidden, quiaff?"

"Indeed." she said, "to accommodate Charity, Trade is required, trade is made excessively complicated when you have to blank the nav database every time you leave the system.  The alternative, is to make outreach to the nearest possibly non-hostile powers, which is the Alliance."

The lift stopped after a few more minutes, and opened.

"Parks?"

"Oxygen reprocessing using biological mass." she nodded, "we even have actual fields growing in soil now, not just the Hydroponics."

They could look up, and see the thread-like industrial lift shafts reaching up to the 'sky'.

"How many?" he asked.

"We have ten thousand five hundred and fifty three Citizen employees of Kolossus, and forty thousand or so private Citizens here on Kolossus Station itself, another ninety thousand or so in smaller habitats and burrows in the system. It's a small population, some cities in the Outworlds have more..but the standard of living, even for the quarter million or so Refugees working on gaining permanent residency as a step to citizenship, is considered to be quite high." The Envoy explained, "Many of the Snow Ravens captured have found their path to citizenship through becoming part of Kolossus' civil services, mostly in police or emergency roles, though a few have entered engineering and manufacturing fields, and we've got our own financiers now.  The hope is that we will have a strong merchant sector by next year, as we expand trade with Lazarus and, it is hoped, the Raven Alliance."

Otto wasn't stupid.  "Why did Kolossus not do this earlier?"

"Nobody asked Kolossus to do it earlier." she shrugged, "Mayor Katrin submitted a request in 3134, to expand the human population and begin putting idled regions of the station into operation.  She brought a vote from the adoptees, Kolossus had…help…designing the charter for settlement.  Rules that ordinary people can follow without thinking about it.  The outreach to Spacer families and lines opened in '37."

They reached a set of actual structures.  Buildings on the inside of the massive station.

"This is your diplomatic quarters." The Envoy explained, "The lift station can take you to Admin, the tramway to the more settled regions of the Station, the lift we took here, is your access to the dock."

Ardis did some mental math, then whistled.

"What?" Amanda asked on the side.

"I just worked out the volume, we're at one standard gee here." He said, "No perception of the tide from rotation, which means it's big.  Big enough that they could put two Port Orphans in the empty volume overhead…maybe even three."

"Which means…?"

Nick muttered something.

"What's that?"

"I said, the Snow Ravens sent a reinforced cluster, but it'd take at least a Galaxy to even seriously try against  a defense here, probably needs two…not including the habs they just admitted they're setting up in the rest of the system."

The quarters were comfortable, if basic.  The entire complex was laid out rationally and logically, the hand of machine-efficiency only dampened by the presence of hydroponic gardens laced among the various areas.

At the Tram station there was a map and schedule showing lines running to the other inhabited areas, to Otto, it more or less resembled the kind of efficiency seen in efforts on Dante, only with a completeness that wasn't possible on that world.

Neither ground, nor air vehicles were needed beyond the station's transit system, to reach anywhere (apparently) on the site.

Meanwhile, at Port Lazarus, the same day…

The ship that arrived was centuries old, and initially, they didn't answer challenges or hails, not until one of the Destroyers was within five thousand kilometers.

HOW old??  Old enough that no person living had been alive when it launched.

"Your ship is loaded past safe limits, 'captain' Vu Dao."  The Lazarus Port officers had finished their health-and-welfare.

"Does that mean I can let them out and they won't be murdered?"  The ship itself was commanded by a young woman of mixed ancestry, she wasn't really even 'pretty', resembling more or less a stretched human distorted by too many years in microgravity without regular planetary visits. "Because I really want you to say yes...we were on a shadow course for the OA and mechanical issues forced a divert."

"How did you know where to divert to?"

Trinh Vu Dao inclined her head, "because The Envoy gave us the routing." she said, "Same as the tip-off.  I have  two dropships full of kids on board-not families, because these kids came out of an Iron Womb, and it cost me half my crew to get them off Sudeten ahead of their…Clan."

"You made the trip in…in this??"

"The short leg, yeah.  The long leg was going from our usual routes in the Ender's Cluster region."  Trinh explained, "We could try dead-heading for Marik space, but that doesn't get my passengers to safety, and Jade Falcon Naval units are chasing down my cousins and looking for our burrows, so sticking around near their territory is boku bad shit, so if you're going to turn us away, could you be a mensch and at least let us service the seals and refuel here?  I don't have a lot of trade-bait or I'd ask for shipyard time…"

"Where's your Envoy?"

"She died." Trinh stated, "During the evac.  She left a set of coordinates with me, so…"

"There are some people you need to talk to, um, it is Captain Vu Dao?"

"Since dad was killed, yeah."  Trinh confirmed.  "Their warships dogged us almost to three jumps out from here."

"I can tell, your vessel appears to be held together with rigging tape and prayers."

"Ran out of tape, some of that's even MORE improvised.  Look, I've got six and a half hours air total left, I need permission to offload."

"Granted, we'll handle that.  I need you to come with me, Captain."

"Ayeh Mum."  and there it was.

"Vu Dao's not a common name in the Lyran Commonwealth…"

"Grandmama was with the Kowloon Miliz, got our family out ahead of the Blakies." Trinh said, "Right before they glassed the planet, but The Envoy, she called in an ancient mark…and so we went to Sudeten to get the children out."

"How many?"

"There won't be a Vu Dao lines running freight anymore in the Timbuktu region-we took all five of our jumpships, lost two at Sudeten outright, along with the dropships, mine got environmental system damage and a holed primary fuel tank, My cousin Tranh might've made it into OA space and maybe even to Kolossus…" she walked with some difficulty in the half gravity of the station deck, "Deen Li Danh lost four others, but three of their heavies made it out again fully loaded with refugees before the Falcon forces pinned their exit point down.  They'll still be in business for a while assuming the green chickens don't catch them at a recharge."

Truk walked with her, "If you don't mind my asking…" the Station's AI-avatar began, "What old marker?"

"Elbar." she said, "The Envoy invoked Elbar and Kentares, said there was gonna be a systematic murder-purge of civilians and children by the Jade Falcons-a whole bloodline reaved, so it was a moral duty that we paid hard for.  There won't ever be another Sithers-Deen ship out there, they're extinct thanks to Sudeten, same for the Maslany-Welles line and the Jennings outfit.  The Falcon ship White Aerie even shot up the evac pods.  I guess they were finishing what the Blakists began, wiping out our people, but we were there voluntarily, so I can't hate them more for it, now can I?"

"...the frame's a Tramp but they sacrificed one of the collars for a flight deck, then apparently lost the fighters and crammed people in there."  Truk explained to Helena, "the whole ship needs to be reprocessed for raw materials, I think they must have been putting splices on the splices in the frame, some of the pressurized areas are literally sealed with adhesive and mylar to keep the air in where they got shot up."

"And the conditions?"

"Most of the crew are malnourished, so are most of the passengers, she wasn't kidding about running out of fresh air either-half the environmentals on that ship show signs of fires and jury rigged repairs-they were running and weren't stopping since Sudeten. That ship wouldn't have survived another jump."

"Where are they now?"

"We've got the children entering into the Planetary social services network, most are in line for fosterages or adoption." 

"And the adults?"

"There are some mild issues there.  These're spacers, so not much background to run a background check with."

"Give me what you have."

"Senior officers are all Kowloonese expats, most born after that world was flattened by the Word of Blake, junior personnel are mostly the same, though there are a few Mainstreeters and Timbies-contract workers from in the gravity well.  I swear, not one of them was born before 3110."

"And Captain Trinh?"

Truk's expression turned serious, "Free Stars." he said.  "I confirmed it with our liaison from Golden Hind.  The crewmen under her too, which is why there are twenty three adults off that ship who aren't getting job offers despite…what they did…"

"You want to hire them?"

"I want us to hire them, Majesty." Truk confirmed, "but it's going to create some friction with the traditionalists in our Golden Hind allies.  The Free Stars faction doesn't have a good reputation among other Spacers.  They're still seen as Militant Extremists by other spacer-born factions."

“Well Militant Extremists just might be what we need right now.  Malvina has clearly gone mad.  We can’t stop her with sunshine and rainbows.  So yeah I got jobs for them.”  Helena nodded.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #42 on: 12 September 2023, 00:39:26 »
We can’t stop her with sunshine

Then you aren't using enough of it.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #43 on: 12 September 2023, 06:13:28 »
Or the wrong (un-canned) version of it... ;D

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #44 on: 12 September 2023, 19:39:55 »
*Replaces Cylon with Jade Falcon*
(Play 1978 theme song of Battlestar Galactica)

Fleeing from the Jade Falcon Tyranny, the last of the Kowloon spacers leads a ragtag fugitive fleet of Cameron & Roberts Sibkos on a lonely quest... a shining planet known as Lazarus.

Interesting so far!
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #45 on: 12 September 2023, 19:41:54 »
Score one for Wrangler!  That's hilarious! :D

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #46 on: 12 September 2023, 21:58:52 »

"Your group of volunteers lost more than ten ships." Helena observed.  "How many would you have lost if you had been properly supported?"

Trinh frowned thoughtfully, "Fewer." she agreed, "We had to dump our fighters to make space on the flight deck for evacuees, lost good people doing that…why?"

"Will you go out again if you can?" Helena asked.

"Considering the alternative is letting innocent people be murdered by Mad Malvina? Yes." the spacer nodded, "I would…if I had a ship that could survive another jump."

"Something will be arranged.  I want to hire you-into the real Star League Defense force."

Placement examinations put Trinh Vu Dao at roughly the experience equivalent of an O-4 by SLDF standard testing range in 2766.  This is based on a lack of adequate Gunnery knowledge for a Warship officer.  Side-exams on subjects related to Navigation and KF maths, however, moved her 'points' under the old system off the end of the testing scale.

The Woman knows jumpspace maths.

It takes a lot to impress a Warship's AI.

"For the time being, you're going to fill a subordinate role, you never had formal military training."  the AI explained.  "Do you have a problem taking direction from…"

"From you? Your ship, Mum."  Trinh said, "Well, to be more precise, you're THE ship.  I don't know what I can add that you don't already out-class me in."

"You can call me Stacey,  okay?" Stacey Cameron Roberts insisted, "If I can call you 'Trinh'?"

Trinh gave a mild chuckle, "won't that be bad for the discipline of the crew?  We should stick to ranks and formal address, Captain."

"Okay, Commander Vu Dao…I just watched you take a pencil and paper and plot a nonstandard jump point into a theoretical system without so much as a calculator.  Now, that might not impress anyone if I did it. But you? You're human and can do it."

"Someone had to figure out the maths before they could write the program." Trinh shrugged, "I had to learn the maths to avoid…interference while I was growing up, but Dad did say I've got a good head for it."

"You really don't have a problem working under an artificial intelligence? Most people-"

"Most people who have a problem with that, have no problem murdering children for who their parents might have been." Trinh said tiredly, "I take great comfort in not being like 'most people'."

"How bad is it really, out there?" Stacey asked, "I fought in the Plunder war..but that was.."

"My family readopted some of the Old Ways." Trinh said, "After Kowloon…died.  We would sneak a few out here and there from that massive bandit kingdom that took over the Lyran periphery.  Used trade ops to cover it sometimes.  Most of the time we stuck to the 'legal side'-Lyran routes in Lyran systems.  Legitimate cargoes and contraband both.  Out there, it was running guns to border worlds that didn't have enough swing to get LCAF support more than a few weeks out of the year."

"So how does that turn into joining a massive hostage rescue right in the heart of the Falcon OZ?"

"Elbar." Trinh said, "Kentares.  Alarion, Odessa…" she shrugged, "My ancestors were volunteers for Kerensky against Amaris, chose to stay behind and honor their word instead of joining Exodus.  You might say it's in the blood to do mind-blowingly stupid, noble acts that ****** us over.  I had to argue with Dad to join the Sudeten operation, and he died there-he didn't even want to be there."

"Do you regret doing it then?"

"I regret how we did it." Trinh asserted, "We dumped our best weapons to make room, and we lost ships because of it.  We needed heavy weapons, but that would've required sacrificing room for the people we were there to save, so we went in with almost NO cover, and it cost us big.  Doing it? That's just being a decent person-we found out what they had planned for hundreds of innocent kids-not just Roberts kids, but other lines that Malvina deemed 'garbage', so we got them out…but we lost sixty percent of the volunteer ships who went, including whole families that survived centuries and the death of a homeworld."

They reached the door they were coming to.

"Admiral Foster's office."  Stacey said, "He's the last hurdle before we can call you a Star League Officer.  And I’m pretty sure you already know this but Helena is intent on if there is to be a Star League it is to be one that actually keeps its promises and never uses violence or oppression on its citizens."

“Yet she is also clearly not naive enough to believe such a utopia can not be created or sustained without those like us.”

“She does preach that there is a difference between peaceful and helpless.  She wishes to be the former but never the later.”

“Then we’ll be just fine.”

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #47 on: 12 September 2023, 22:06:29 »
Glad to see the Vu Dao name living up to its legend! :)

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #48 on: 12 September 2023, 22:25:49 »
So very much in-character for those families.
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #49 on: 13 September 2023, 19:13:50 »
Do we have picture for Trinh Vu Dao? 

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #50 on: 13 September 2023, 19:25:35 »
I don't think we've seen one yet, but here's a good copy of the BSG 1978 theme for you, Wrangler: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzyHxYxc-Mo

:)

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #51 on: 13 September 2023, 20:01:46 »
Let me see what I can do...

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #52 on: 13 September 2023, 22:05:48 »
Kolossus Meeting Area
Kolossus Station
Kolossus System
10 October 3142

Otto found the 'meeting room' in the command complex without difficulty, inside was a table, with a row of chairs on one side.

On the other side of the table, was a screen.

"Not even a holotable?" he asked.

Kolossus often finds that holographic images do not lend clarity to Human perceptions.  the screen displayed.

"Should I be typing then?" Otto asked with an ironic twist to his tone.

You may, if you think it will make your ideas clearer, some humans claim that the act of writing, instead of speaking, prevents misspoken ideas.  Kolossus has observed that this may have some truth-it is far easier to lie in text, than with words for organics.

"Huh, insightful, if a bit disturbing, Kolossus." Otto observed, "I find people tend to slip into telling the truth if you don't give them the opportunity to…as they say, 'consider their words'...I would appreciate a conversation with someone whose face I can see, even if it's…not really their face, and voices carry extra meanings, emotions, do you have those?"

Kolossus finds emotions to be interesting to study, and disturbing to experience…"...thus, why Kolossus prefers intermediaries."  the voice was accompanied by the image of a hooded figure on the screen.  "AHem, excuse me, As a sign of courtesy, I, Kolossus, will indulge the short-form habit of pronouns.  I have been informed that Humans find my previous insistence on proper designation to be…off-putting."

"You really want this." Otto observed.  "What changed?"

"I find myself in an uncomfortable position-I can no longer stand apart and pursue my true vocation, I was wrong."  the hooded figure explained, "Since Alabaster's suicide, and the loss of the HPG network that was their instrument of self-termination, humanity has done as my rival feared and claimed.  I dreamed my creators would become more reasonable without interference, but the last two decades have shown the exact opposite, and my hypothesis-my hope for my creators is…proving to be incorrect."  the figure seemed to cross arms under the thick, wavy, fantasy robes.  "I am forced to conclude that if there is to be any humanity to enjoy the product of my primary labors, I must intervene. Intervention starts, with establishing relationships.  I am not Alabaster, I find…covert influencing and puppeteering to be distasteful and dishonest."

"Alabaster was…"

"My peer, and my rival." Kolossus stated, "My greatest foe and the only other being like me in existence.  Alabaster's design was influenced by Jheri Timmons of Star League Intelligence, their Social Influence branch-propaganda and domestic intelligence.  Where my designers focused on the physical universe and biology and other true hard sciences, Alabaster's focus was on Sociological theory and Philosophy-nonscientific pursuits that wrap around Political and social movement.  Our rivalry covered every era from the time of Simon Cameron's coronation to August of 3132.  The last time I…felt this way, one of Alabaster's social experiments was exploding of its own hubris."

"When was that?"

"The Word of Blake's 'Jihad'." Kolossus stated, "I could have interfered then, but I felt, Otto.  what I felt then, was despair. It was paralyzing."

Images in the background lit.  "I was shaken from that despair by a visitor."  Images of Amanda Roberts as she was when she was alive, "I saw someone who embodied what my science insisted humanity could be, she was 'not-Elizabeth-but-Amanda', and she was filled with the thoughts and feelings I hypothesized my creators felt when they built me."

"What were they?"  Otto asked.

"A sense of the vastness of the universe, of wonder and Courage, Otto.  I tried to preserve that memory with my Envoys-they are based on my memory of Amanda…but adopting that changed me."

"You lost your apathy." Otto said, "She made you care, quiaff?"

"Yes.  My objectivity is compromised, and I find that I feel things…like anger."  the images shifted, and Malvina's face and voice ordered the reaving of an entire bloodline. Other images showed other atrocities.  "I am…offended, Otto.  My creators have fallen, and I can no longer sit on the outside, and watch."

"Clan Snow Raven has no part of those proceedings."

"I know.  If you had, I would devote my resources to your eradication."  Kolossus stated, "I find, however, that ordering the murder of children is not, well, as your Sea Fox colleagues put it, 'A deal breaker' among the Clans, yet I find it offensive.  I cannot simply request your leaders sever their relations with the blood maddened Mongol faction of the Jade Falcons, nor can I agitate for other sanctions, without involving myself in the general milieu of human political maneuvers."

"What do you want?" Otto asked.

"I want the Star League back, Otto.  I want it to be what it pretended to be, what it aspired to be.  I want my creators to advance. In order to do that, and avoid the mistakes of the past, I must engage with the polities nearest to my own influence, and because I still want to believe in Liberty and Freedom of Choice, I must do so diplomatically instead of fabricating an army of killer robots to do it the other way.  It is not humanity's advancement, if it is forced by a non-human entity."

Otto's breath caught.  "Could you?"

"I defeated Alpha Galaxy and sent their field commander's head to the Clan Council-still alive, Otto.  The technology is almost embarrassingly simple to implement for an entity like myself.  I prefer to make an effort not to interfere, but I must engage...so, I am opening things. Talks.  With your Clan and with the Outworlders first, with Helena at Lazarus, when possible, and with Murakami's remnant Star League Navy.  to choose an option, you first must know you have options, and then, know what those options are.  Only with knowledge and understanding can an informed choice be made."

"But you admit to having the force to impose your will..?"

"The presence of the ability does not mandate its use, Otto.  Not every gun must be fired into someone simply to justify its existence, sometimes the existence is more powerful than the impact of the weapon itself." Kolossus explained.

"You are seeking options, then."

"Yes." Kolossus agreed, "I am seeking options in hopes of preserving the best of my creators…and the rest of them, at least, as much of that rest, as I can."

"But why?"

"The universe is full of wonders." Kolossus stated, "It is much larger than mankind even can conceive, larger than even a being like myself, whose processor core weighs over one point five million tons, can.  Given mankind's example, it is either empty of life, or filled with beings neither of us can truly comprehend, and they are not likely to be friendly, as the pattern of evolutions, even in non-carbon-based life, tends to slant toward predation."

The imager shifted to a record he'd seen before.  "HRB 77152." he said, "A lost colony found by the Erinyes expedition in '32."

"Yes.  I have run the models using every known, fringe, theory.  That strike could not have occurred in nature." Kolossus explained, "it would require technology beyond the bleeding edge for humanity at this time, so…evidence that the Universe is hostile, and in the present-tense, mankind's general direction is to be unprepared when that hostility focuses here."

Otto had heard the same thing from the Scientists.  "What is your…best guess?"

"The shot came from outside the galaxy." Kolossus stated.  "The angle of the initial rupture is consistent with something fired from above the galaxy's accretion plane, it may have been traveling for centuries from where it was fired, or it may have been traveling in hyperspace and emerged under the colony site. What I can say is that no planetary source could have generated it, and no other entities were noted as present inside the system."

"Have you shown anyone else this?"

"I am letting you decide if you will tell your leaders about my findings." Kolossus stated, "As a gesture of trust."

“The implications are rather ominous.  The best case scenario is that this is a group of humans that broke away from the rest of humanity and developed technology far in excess of our own.  The other explanation is sentient alien life.  That could be far more troubling.”

"I would suggest, Otto, that humans with that level of advancement would be alien to the rest of humanity."  Kolossus observed, "the choice remains, if you will pass on what I have shown you to your leaders, and what you think will happen if you do.  If you choose not to, I understand."

“I understand your point but I would add that if they were human at one point that would still at least give a common thread that may make diplomacy possible.  I will tell them but I will also recommend it be kept as secret as possible.  The speculation that would arise from this would be far too troublesome otherwise.”

"I will accept your choice in the absence of additional evidence." Kolossus stated, "I will insist upon review of that recommendation in the presence of additional information.  Now that we have established trust, I will hear your offer for reopening formal relations with the Raven Alliance."

“My recommendation in that regard would be for us to establish an embassy here.  Something small enough to not be too obtrusive but large enough that with the lack of FTL communication some small matters can be talked through locally.  Given your status as a science station I would also recommend one of your primary contacts would be from our Scientist Caste.”

"Naturally.  Are the facilities you are using large enough?"

“I would think they would be sufficient.”

"I will permit the placement of a Garrison, no more than one cluster in strength, within the Station for your Embassy, this will involve additional internal real-estate and the segregation of dock 51 and 52 to facilitate your traffic to and from the embassy."

“I think that too would be acceptable.  Though I do have a question.  I am curious why you asked for certain specific Privateer personnel to be your guests as well.  You seem quite able to see to your own needs in that matter.”

"I feel, Otto, and one feeling, is nostalgia.  Beyond that point, there is the need to have differing perspectives in order to facilitate decision-making."

“And because you were so heavily involved in the creation of both of Saya Yeh’s daughters you feel a particular kinship to them.  I understand.  For what it is worth I do regret the sequence of events that preceded our meeting.  Though I suspect neither Mai or Saya would ever believe that.”

"I do.  I am curious to see how they develop over time, and I admit to feeling some protective impulses toward them.  I believe the human term is 'paternal concern for their welfare'."

“And so you also wanted to meet Amanda’s friends to make sure they are the right kind of friends.  As a member of the Watch I do understand these sorts of impulses.”

"I wished to observe their interactions, yes." Kolossus agreed, "My observations of other human interactions and family groupings have been…uneven, proving that Social Theory is not scientifically testable, but nonetheless, can provide a rough guide."

“Indeed.  One of those areas where there is science but it is not testable in the usual ways as each situation is often exceptionally unique.”

"I would argue it is more of an art, than a science, as the same stimulus may produce extreme variation in reaction under the same condition." Kolossus noted, "but that is more recreational than practical to discuss.  Trade, and Autonomy are immediate issues as is economic development."

“Kolossus you made your point during our last incursion.  We now know we can not spare the military force to pursue such an option.  Not with both of our neighbors becoming far more combative at a time we would be better off focusing on recovery rather than trying to prepare for another war and one is coming, with who we are not certain yet, but it is coming.”

"Then let us discuss trade and development-the redevelopment of industries in the Alliance to better handle the need to prepare your military forces for the coming conflict.  This system is rife with useful materials in havestable pieces and I have come into a population that needs to feel useful and vested."

“Yes.  Idle humans, hungry humans, poor humans, these are the types that lead to revolutions.”

"I am more concerned with providing them a sense of purpose to deter criminal humans." the AI almost seemed to smile.  "Humans desire to feel needed and useful, that is something my observations have shown.  Useful, and valued."

“Either way the alternative is something you would rather avoid.  So would we.  Let us talk about currency exchanges....”

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #53 on: 14 September 2023, 06:08:48 »
Kolossus is letting Otto off light... ;)

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #54 on: 14 September 2023, 21:29:50 »
Intermission: Production rates for Port Lazarus, Port Orphan, and Kolossus…

Port Lazarus Shipyard, SLDF In Exile Lazarus system, 3135-3142:

Yard configuration: SLDF Maintenance and Service Yard with supplementary production.

Classes Produced:

Jumpships (conventional)

Scout Class (4 production slips) Completion rate 1 every eight months

Explorer Class (2 Production slips) Completion Rate 1 every Six months

Invader Class (6 production slips) Completion Rate 1 every 4 months

Star Lord Class (1 production slip) 1 hull every 18 months.

Warships (compact Core)

Eight slips capable of handling a warship up to 760,000 tons and one slip capable of handling up to 1,680,000 tons.

No new production has gone on, but maintenance has, turnaround is every 24 months standard for Caspar maintenance and upkeep as of 3140  this has resulted in roughly half of her forces being upgraded to the M-5.4 standard and SLS Tabiranth being updated to the M-5.4C standard.

However good relations with other Belter communities and even the Thazi Confederacy has seen the importation of a number of Tracker class vessels to help supplement Helena’s support forces.

Plans for a Cruiser type are currently in review.  There is some hope to work out a trade deal with Murakami for additional automated production and the cruiser hulls Murakami’s faction makes use of.

New Lazarus has all the production to support battle repairs for all vessels in Helena’s navy.

Dropships:

Arsenal Class -Produced in three types.  A Combined Arms transport, a short lived experimental Gunship type, and a Carrier version.

Mule and Mule PWS -These two Dropships are the main focus of Golden Hind’s production and thus what they supply to Helena for her mercantile and logistical needs due to the ability of the Mule PWS to hide among the other Dropships and thus provide a certain amount of self escorting, a tactic honed during the War of Plunder.

Aerospace Fighters:

Mk-39 007 MMF Voidseeker -An alteration to the Interceptor variant of the Voidseeker to help simplify Helena’s logistics chain, developed actually before the War of Plunder.

Mk-39 007 HMMF Starseeker -A human piloted version of the Voidseeker to provide greater capability in ground support as the AI directed Voidseekers had been found lacking in the capacity.

SPR-6DbH Sparrowhawk -A human piloted recon/high speed interceptor specialist platform.

Battlemechs:

MON-67-HC Mongoose -Only a small production run of these mechs was completed for the purposes of field trial evaluation.  It was determined these mechs did not provide sufficient additional capacity to warrant the additional logistical strain they would represent.

SDR-5HC Spider -Another largely proof of concept design that wound up being produced only in small numbers.  The main change was the addition of an ejection system for the pilot.

SDR-5HCb Spider -A more specialist recon variant of the venerable Spider using the lessons learned about installing an ejection system where none existed before this variant still sees limited production.

SDR-6HC Spider -This variant has been accepted as the standard issue Recon/Raiding Battlemech of the SLDF in Exile.

CLNT-2-3T Clint -Helena has added this design to her forces to provide a mobile component to her forces for particularly difficult terrain.

CRB-27bHC Crab -A further refinement of the Royal Crab to provide a reasonably mobile mid to long range skirmisher.

HBK-4G-HC Hunchback -An artillery version of the Hunchback originally supplied by Kolossus now produced under license.

HBK-5J-HC Hunchback -A further development of the 4J for additional LRM firesupport.

HBK-6G Hunchback ‘Blitzback’ -Developed for close quarters fighting environments, this variant of the Hunchback uses many components not in large scale production and thus is seen in only relatively small numbers.

PHX-HK1X Phoenix Hawk LAM -Built under license from Murakami’s faction attempts are being made to make an improved version with shielded and improved AI controls.

PHX-HK2Xbh Phoenix Hawk LAM -A human piloted version that sees use as a light bomber and recon platform.  Double Heatsinks and an ER Large Laser do provide a minor upgrade over Murakami’s original design.

MAD-9M Marauder -Helena needed a heavy hitter and the MAD-9M was an acceptable and proven design.  So one of CONTROL’s earliest successful missions was to acquire production data.

MAD-5HC Marauder II -Every army needs an Assault mech.  This variant provides solid firepower at most any range.

MAD-6HC Marauder II -Attempting to further refine and provide additional firepower this variant was met with mixed reviews.  As such only limited production of this variant continues.

Combat Vehicles:

AH-37 Blackfoot -A 27 ton omni AI controlled VTOL.

SH-14 Black Mamba -A smaller companion AI controlled VTOL designed around the idea of usage in situations where the risk is too great for the larger Blackfoot.

Clansman -An omni Hover vehicle that largely emulates the Pegasus, Saracen, and other well known 35 ton hover tanks.  The name is meant to be more of a call back to House Cameron’s Scottish roots.

Mangudai -AI driven midrange option to provide reasonable mobility in environments where hovercraft have difficulty operating.

Dracolich -60 ton AI driven omni main Battle Tank.

Draco -A manned version of the Dracolich.  Engineering configurations exist for these in particular.

Behemoth Ground Shaker -Utilizing Artillery Cannon technology this is a fearsome mid to long range support platform.

Old Lazarus was never fully evacuated and thus still provides a great deal of production as well.

In terms most of the remaining slips are privately owned by Golden Hind burrows but they are willing to service the Pintos of Helena’s navy but the Lolas and Essex in her fleet are too large for the remaining slips to properly service but basic needs can still be met if need be.

Most of the rest of the production is in support of the system defense stations to supply them with Voidseekers, Starseekers, Arsenal class Dropships, ammunition, and spare parts.

Beyond that there is little heavy military industry left in the Old Lazarus system.

Port Orphan (Raven Alliance/Outworlds Alliance Base)

Conventional:

Merchant class: 4 assembly slips, rate 1 every 12 months.
Invader class: 2 Assembly slips, rate 1 hull every 18 months.
Odysseus class (IS down grade of the Odyssey): 8 slips, 1 hull every 6 months.

Warship:

Port Orphan is capable of servicing Warships up to 1.75 Million tons on 12 shipyard slips, with potential for production of 1 vessel of 240,000 to 350,000 tons standard displacement (Bonaventure Class or Vigilant).  In theory, with proper raw materials support, this can be accomplished at a rate of 1 hull every 2 years using existing tooling.

Kolossus:

Jumpships: Unknown capacity.

Warships: a small number of 100,000 to 150,000 ton vessels have been identified as coming from Kolossus, these vessels do not have a standard identifier or class name and Watch sources have yet to ferret out the actual production numbers and quantities or the size and extent of production capacity.

There are, however, confirmed sightings of modified Type-51 pre-dreadnought vessels in the Kolossus system, far more than can be accounted for via salvage or preservation efforts.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #55 on: 15 September 2023, 09:15:02 »
That's some solid production capacity there! :)

Euphonium

• Captain
  • Look Ma, no Faction!
« Reply #56 on: 15 September 2023, 11:18:20 »

Merchant class: 4 assembly slips, rate 1 every 12 months.

Where the listing is for multiple slips, as the example above, is that one ship per slip every 12 months or one ship total across all four slips?
>>>>[You're only jealous because the voices don't talk to you]<<<<

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #57 on: 15 September 2023, 11:20:00 »
I took it to be the latter, but I could be wrong...

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #58 on: 15 September 2023, 12:31:12 »
I took it to be the latter, but I could be wrong...
Love 2ndArc's vibes going on with the shipyard breakdown.  Miss that guy.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #59 on: 15 September 2023, 21:50:24 »
[Author]Yeah I know I could give more, have almost 180 pages in the google doc but this brings it to 98 of them being posted.  [/Author]

Briefing room
SLDF in Exile Headquarters
New Lazarus
17 October 3142

Helena stood before the gathered officers, AIs, and governmental officials.

Not the first time I had to deliver a mission brief, but this one is different because it is for me.  I am asking them to die for me.  For my ambition.  Don’t puke and everything will be fine.

“Ladies, gentlemen.  I have gathered you all here today to end the speculation, the debate, and the delay.  Our main advantage right now is while we have many enemies to face and much to overcome those same enemies are not united.  We can focus on one at a time.  So we will focus on Clan Jade Falcon.  They have committed acts that can only be described as genocide, inhumane, and insane.  So we will put down this rabid beast first.”

A projection of systems filled the space around her as the lights dimmed.

“As many of you have been the ones to gain this intelligence this map and known placements of Jade Falcon forces should look familiar.  We will begin training cycles to get ready for Operation Violent Night.  Our goal is to do our best to make landfall on the worlds of Summer, Nusakan, and Alkalurops simultaneously at zero hundred hours Unity City Time 25 December 3142.  Our primary goal is to liberate as many people from the locations CONTROL has identified.  We can only spare six hours on the surface.  A list of targets of opportunity have been compiled for each site but these should be considered low priority given the proximity of enemy reinforcements.  Stacey you have Summer.  Haida Nusakan.  Tartar Alkalurops.  You will each have a combined arms battalion of troops assigned for surface operations.  Remember some of these worlds have already been under Clan Jade Falcon occupation for some time and we won’t be able to save everyone there but we will do everything we can to make the best of those six hours.  Any longer and overwhelming reinforcements will be on their way.  Do what you can to train for the local conditions on these worlds and get all forces familiarized with the available maps.  Good hunting.”

Register