Author Topic: The Federated Sun's Reborn  (Read 254358 times)

Adventwolf

• Warrant Officer
Re: The Federated Sun's Reborn
« Reply #1170 on: 04 December 2019, 21:06:44 »
Well the FedSuns need jumpships huh. And I wonder who has a former military shipyard that got converted into a civilian shipyard for Jumpship and dropship construction. And who would love to make plently of money selling those products for a profit that can be used to speed up their recovery and expansion.

Each Olympus has a 150,000 repair bay.  that is big enough to make a Merchant class jumpship.  you can have the "big boy" of jumpship makers ship parts to any station within one jump (30ly) of their yards.  the Olympus crews could put the parts together this would give a short term burst of production, before the bays are needed again to repair.
What are you talking about? The only Olympus I know of is the class of recharge station. If there another thing with that class name?
Fun quest that need more people:

Skywalker For Senator (Star Wars) - Q, Star Wars: Beyond the Republic, We Stand Against the Stars (Gundam/Macross) Crossover, Mobile Suit Gundam: Divided Federation (Civ Quest), The Lords of Ruin -- Battletech/Killzone Crossover, Star War Moff Quest: Lost in Space

cawest

• Captain
« Reply #1171 on: 04 December 2019, 22:57:08 »

What are you talking about? The only Olympus I know of is the class of recharge station. If there another thing with that class name?

The Olympus class recharging station has three repair bays.  2 are rated at 50ktons and number 3 is rated for 150,000 tons. 

PsihoKekec

• Captain
  • Your spleen, give it to me!
« Reply #1172 on: 05 December 2019, 01:41:04 »
I had a bit of idea, while Victor is a no go for Archon, why not Ardan Sortek as regent? He is a man of inpecable integrity, capable soldier and statesman, not to mention he was friends with both Hanse Davion and Melissa Steiner.
Shoot first, laugh later.

Iron Grenadier

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1173 on: 05 December 2019, 03:05:08 »
I had a bit of idea, while Victor is a no go for Archon, why not Ardan Sortek as regent? He is a man of inpecable integrity, capable soldier and statesman, not to mention he was friends with both Hanse Davion and Melissa Steiner.

The only issue I could see with that would be Ardan's age. He's pushing 80 at this point I think, and might just be looking forward to retirement.

Chris OFarrell

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1174 on: 05 December 2019, 03:54:13 »
The problem is that Ardan has no claim on the Throne. Victor DID have the claim and was simply deposed by Katherine *spits* and in turn had Peter jump in after her. Victor did renounce his claim, but if he was asked to come back, in all honesty he would have no real question marks about that as he's eldest child of Melissa after all.

Ardan is a nice guy, but he's not a Steiner.

Victor OTOH has, since the Federated Commonwealth broke up, learned some basic political skills on one hand, been proven 100% right about his sister on the other hand and been given the ultimate vindication of Kings for thousands of years; he's f*#king owning everything and anything that comes up against him or his nation, which has thrived like never before.

The Lyran Alliance OTOH has been steadily going backwards. Poor Peter even kept getting called a 'second rate Victor' in the media, IIRC, whenever he managed to do genuinely good things, simply because Victor had already done it and far far better.

He might have taken a while to get there, but to the average person in the Federated Suns and Lyran Alliance, Victor is the ultimate blend and evolution of Katrina+Melissa+Hanse and perhaps the greatest leader a Successor State has ever had.

The fact that its entirely possible a majority of the Estates Generals would have outright voted for Victor to come back and rule them in a straight up/down line despite everything shows that A) They recognize his greatness B) They understand (with the exception of a handful of representatives who are probably not going to make it off Tharkad alive) that he was innocent of all the charges against him and that it was the traitor Katherine all along who betrayed Melissa and destroyed the FedCom and C) That they don't have any tenable leader right now. At all. And their situation is looking increasingly desperate.

Of course, the population of the Federated Suns have a lot of reasons to be highly skeptical. Where as the original Federated Commonwealth arguably was a joining of different strengths (FedSuns competence + Lyran industry) now the Federated Suns have BOTH. They also have the sheer vindication that it was the Steiner side who blindly followed a matricidal bitch and turned their back on the Suns. Who stole the Federated Suns jumpships (and then SOLD THEM BACK TO THEM). Who ranted about how the Federated Suns wasn't pulling its weight against the Clans (despite the fact that AFFS units in the AFFC were actually a plurality or even a majority of the units who fought the Clan invasion!) and whose armed forces, the LCAF/LAAF all turned their back on Victor despite the fact that HE fought his ass off in the Donegal Guards and Lyran Guards against the Clans defending that half of the FedCom, arguably at the cost of the Suns side...

And Victor himself, IIRC earlier in this fic, even admitted to a sense of personal betrayal at how rapidly the Lyran side of the Commonwealth turned on him despite how hard he had worked and fought to protect it.

The idea that the Federated Suns would loose quite arguably the finest First Prince they ever had to Tharkard would probably make a LOT of people nervous.

Victors best bet is probably going to be to take a third path here. Formally reject the idea of him becoming the Archon Prince again. But, support someone competent as a regent for his Nephew everyone can respect - while making it clear that he will be working to increasingly strengthen ties, formally, between their nations. I'd suggest Victor nominate Roman Steiner. Unlike in the OTL, he didn't loose his granddaughter to the 1st Davions last stand on New Avalon fighting for Victor nor almost loosing his other grandkids on Tharkad to Peter, so I'm going to guess he's still a firm supporter of Victor and at least thought well of Peter.

He has the family position and exceptional connections in both states to be an effective regent.

As for the FedCom, again I'd say take a third path. Review the original FedCom treaty and look to revive the useful parts. No union, but see what can be done to once again open up economic, technological and military ties like they did in the 3020s-3030s, re-establish a free trade pact and open up markets, technology transfers, all of that stuff. Formalize a level of alliance quite a bit short of a union, but closer than they have right now, getting the maximum win-win advantages for both sides.

And of course, far closer military cooperation with an exchange of high level staff on both sides to start fighting this new war together.

On a different topic, it looks like the Nova Cats are about ready to jump ship. This is going to get very interesting, very quickly...
« Last Edit: 05 December 2019, 03:57:53 by Chris OFarrell »
"I, the Baron of Strang, care not for your new names. Clans? Jade Falcons? I call you by your true name: Scum of the Star League, traitors of free will, persecutors of the Periphery come back to lord it over freedom-loving people. Come ahead, you steel-eyed robots! Come ahead and taste what a million like-minded people think of you and your damn Clans!"

-Baron Stepan Von Strang

kelgar04

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1175 on: 05 December 2019, 04:51:48 »
Well it looks like we now know what the WoB are going to do with those mechs and with the Blackout well its a good time for a decapitation strike.

Also if Victor decides to take on the Mantle of regent he needs to help the LA what warships he can spare with Regiments and RCTs need to be sent to support Hep. Hell he needs to do that now before allied if the WoB take Hep they have one of the greatest factory worlds in their pocket or destroyed.

Victor Ideally can’t let that happen.

Iron Grenadier

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1176 on: 05 December 2019, 04:58:06 »
I think Victor could organize along with the ComGuards a relief force for Hesperus.

Chris OFarrell

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1177 on: 05 December 2019, 05:32:59 »
That would actually work on several levels. Heph has a large concentration of the WOB's most elite troops after all and it would be an excellent opportunity to try and rip them up. It would be politically a great move and strategically if they can recover the planet as damaged, but even partially operational, it would help keep the Lyrans in the fight. Plus, if the AFFS send a couple of warships and an RCT, as well as swinging through Skye and picking up a Lyran unit or two on the way? It would be a very nice combined operation to open the counter-strike with...

Also, I'm banging my head on Victor pushing money to rebuild the Independence Weaponry plant. The locals might be upset (just offer the key workers and technicians relocation packages and they'll probably leap at the chance) but its beyond time to move that plant the ****** away from the border. The Sandovals might grumble, but honestly? They don't have a leg to stand on here as its just too damn vulnerable. Even if the border is going to be pushed back slowly.

You can keep it in the Draconis March, but move to to say ... Mayetta? Its a long way from the border to even try to raid but still well placed to feed units in the DC March - as well as the Periphery regions and Crucis March...
"I, the Baron of Strang, care not for your new names. Clans? Jade Falcons? I call you by your true name: Scum of the Star League, traitors of free will, persecutors of the Periphery come back to lord it over freedom-loving people. Come ahead, you steel-eyed robots! Come ahead and taste what a million like-minded people think of you and your damn Clans!"

-Baron Stepan Von Strang

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #1178 on: 05 December 2019, 05:42:01 »
The problem is that Ardan has no claim on the Throne. Victor DID have the claim and was simply deposed by Katherine *spits* and in turn had Peter jump in after her. Victor did renounce his claim, but if he was asked to come back, in all honesty he would have no real question marks about that as he's eldest child of Melissa after all.

Those are all points in favor of Ardan as regent.

If Victor becomes regent, there´ll be plenty of people who will consider that as the first step towards taking the the throne for himself. Ardan *CANNOT* take the throne for himself, so that suspicion won´t even form.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #1179 on: 05 December 2019, 05:57:06 »
I’m also surprised no one has thought of the Skye Steiners yet....

Kiko70

• Corporal
« Reply #1180 on: 05 December 2019, 08:33:32 »
I’m also surprised no one has thought of the Skye Steiners yet....

Lol that would be an idea about on par with taking Katherine back. With the Wobbies and the Dragon knocking at their door, they have diddly squat to secure their own territory, even historically they have done very little for the Lyran nation since Aldo Lestrade was alive and Ryan was worse, now his son and daughter-in law are poised to continue.

Kiko70

• Corporal
« Reply #1181 on: 05 December 2019, 09:00:36 »

Victor OTOH has, since the Federated Commonwealth broke up, learned some basic political skills on one hand, been proven 100% right about his sister on the other hand and been given the ultimate vindication of Kings for thousands of years; he's f*#king owning everything and anything that comes up against him or his nation, which has thrived like never before.

The Lyran Alliance OTOH has been steadily going backwards. Poor Peter even kept getting called a 'second rate Victor' in the media, IIRC, whenever he managed to do genuinely good things, simply because Victor had already done it and far far better.

He might have taken a while to get there, but to the average person in the Federated Suns and Lyran Alliance, Victor is the ultimate blend and evolution of Katrina+Melissa+Hanse and perhaps the greatest leader a Successor State has ever had.

The fact that its entirely possible a majority of the Estates Generals would have outright voted for Victor to come back and rule them in a straight up/down line despite everything shows that A) They recognize his greatness B) They understand (with the exception of a handful of representatives who are probably not going to make it off Tharkad alive) that he was innocent of all the charges against him and that it was the traitor Katherine all along who betrayed Melissa and destroyed the FedCom and C) That they don't have any tenable leader right now. At all. And their situation is looking increasingly desperate.

Of course, the population of the Federated Suns have a lot of reasons to be highly skeptical. Where as the original Federated Commonwealth arguably was a joining of different strengths (FedSuns competence + Lyran industry) now the Federated Suns have BOTH. They also have the sheer vindication that it was the Steiner side who blindly followed a matricidal bitch and turned their back on the Suns. Who stole the Federated Suns jumpships (and then SOLD THEM BACK TO THEM). Who ranted about how the Federated Suns wasn't pulling its weight against the Clans (despite the fact that AFFS units in the AFFC were actually a plurality or even a majority of the units who fought the Clan invasion!) and whose armed forces, the LCAF/LAAF all turned their back on Victor despite the fact that HE fought his ass off in the Donegal Guards and Lyran Guards against the Clans defending that half of the FedCom, arguably at the cost of the Suns side...

And Victor himself, IIRC earlier in this fic, even admitted to a sense of personal betrayal at how rapidly the Lyran side of the Commonwealth turned on him despite how hard he had worked and fought to protect it.

The idea that the Federated Suns would loose quite arguably the finest First Prince they ever had to Tharkard would probably make a LOT of people nervous.

Victors best bet is probably going to be to take a third path here. Formally reject the idea of him becoming the Archon Prince again. But, support someone competent as a regent for his Nephew everyone can respect - while making it clear that he will be working to increasingly strengthen ties, formally, between their nations. I'd suggest Victor nominate Roman Steiner. Unlike in the OTL, he didn't loose his granddaughter to the 1st Davions last stand on New Avalon fighting for Victor nor almost loosing his other grandkids on Tharkad to Peter, so I'm going to guess he's still a firm supporter of Victor and at least thought well of Peter.

He has the family position and exceptional connections in both states to be an effective regent.

As for the FedCom, again I'd say take a third path. Review the original FedCom treaty and look to revive the useful parts. No union, but see what can be done to once again open up economic, technological and military ties like they did in the 3020s-3030s, re-establish a free trade pact and open up markets, technology transfers, all of that stuff. Formalize a level of alliance quite a bit short of a union, but closer than they have right now, getting the maximum win-win advantages for both sides.

And of course, far closer military cooperation with an exchange of high level staff on both sides to start fighting this new war together.

On a different topic, it looks like the Nova Cats are about ready to jump ship. This is going to get very interesting, very quickly...

Nailed it militarily and politically. On the military side the Lyran center of gravity is that triad of production, Hesperus-Coventry-Tharkad. Historically the greatest vulnerability of the realm and it's greatest political headache has ever been Skye first and the former Tamar now Clan front second.

Caesar Steiner is another possible as per canon after the Fed-Com Civil War.

I have always thought that TPTB as written never really gave Victor a fair shake. Hanse Davion was 43 in 3025, in his early 30's when he took over from Ian after Ian's death.  Arguably he ( Hanse) had more time, and seasoning with prior experience in military and politics . Victor wasn't really ready in his early 20's..who the hell is? Sun Tzu? Well he pretty much had too, very much a sink or swim reality in the Sian Snake Pit. This re-telling actually gives time for Victor to leverage his strengths and minimize his weaknesses, he does have great people and a unified realm backing him up, an advantage none of the other Successor powers have. Now with this story the Fed-Suns have that key missing ingredient ,economic and industrial might.

The Wobbies played the best strategic option they could by striking the Lyran Scwerpunkt, at Hesperus in Skye. It also nearly severs the physical link between the Lyrans and the Suns, with the third benefit of giving the Wobbies physical depth to their burgeoning proto- protectorate.

As to the splintered League, reaching out to the Regulans and leveraging the exiled Anduriens is definitely a viable option to neutralize or minimize that front.

kelgar04

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1182 on: 05 December 2019, 10:24:12 »
The issue what units and fleet elements can Victor spare to go against the WoB? Securing the worlds in the League March against the WoB and operations against the dragon are taking up much manpower.

He is going to need a fairly heavy fleet element as well as a ground element he could go to the dragoons or C* I imagine they would be willing to help.

Adventwolf

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1183 on: 05 December 2019, 11:25:13 »
Victor has reserves he can use. The forces away from the fighting have been waiting and training in case they need to move up to a front. The League March has enough forces to make hitting it a difficult prospect. Ships there are more and more ships coming off the line all the time. That means you can transfer crews from older less effective ships to the newer ones coming off the line.

Skywalker For Senator (Star Wars) - Q, Star Wars: Beyond the Republic, We Stand Against the Stars (Gundam/Macross) Crossover, Mobile Suit Gundam: Divided Federation (Civ Quest), The Lords of Ruin -- Battletech/Killzone Crossover, Star War Moff Quest: Lost in Space

TigerTiger74

• Private
« Reply #1184 on: 05 December 2019, 13:49:47 »
The Kurita would need to acknowledge that the kid is a Davion first. Something that would be suicide with all the shit they have going on. The Black Dragon society would stop all talks and start trying to kill them again.
I would agree with that, but what about the Word Of Blake?

There is also enemies in the Lyran Alliance/Commonwealth, and his sister Katherine.
There might also be others in the Free Worlds League.
This is all assuming they find out about him.
« Last Edit: 05 December 2019, 14:40:00 by TigerTiger74 »

Adventwolf

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1185 on: 05 December 2019, 14:59:52 »
I would agree with that, but what about the Word Of Blake?

There is also enemies in the Lyran Alliance/Commonwealth, and his sister Katherine.
There might also be others in the Free Worlds League.
This is all assuming they find out about him.
What would they gain though. The kid is not acknowledged as anything other than a Kurita cousin. All Victor needs to do is deny that he is his child since his child with Omiko died along with the mother. If any of the others kill the kid all they gain is the title child killer nothing else. And to get to him in the first place they would need to attack the Capital of the Combine and the Palace itself since that is where he is. The cost and risk is far too much for anyone to waste time on it.

Chris OFarrell

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1186 on: 06 December 2019, 05:03:05 »
The issue what units and fleet elements can Victor spare to go against the WoB? Securing the worlds in the League March against the WoB and operations against the dragon are taking up much manpower.

He is going to need a fairly heavy fleet element as well as a ground element he could go to the dragoons or C* I imagine they would be willing to help.

I think we need an updated list :)

But off the top of my head, he has those two Carriers that have been working up for some time now. I'm guessing their ASF wings were already veterans and were just getting experience in carrier operations alongside their crews, but they should be at least be solid by now. I think they also have a couple of Destroyers as close escorts (and those Davion IIIs frankly are nasty ships to have to face down) and I'm sure ComStar can assign a couple of their own ships to support them.

If they are going in hard and hot with nuclear armed strike wings, they can sweep the WOB naval presence clean from the system in VERY short order and then call in a joint ComGuard/LAAF ground force waiting for the jump signal nearby, to come in at a pirate point. And, under the cover of a massive naval barrage and air support from the carrier wings, smash into the cogboy soldiers from behind (especially with as much Battle Armor as you can scrape together, a Dragoons unit would be ideal for this battle) to wipe em out.

-Baron Stepan Von Strang

Billy Boy Mark II

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1187 on: 06 December 2019, 14:24:43 »
I think we need an updated list :)

But off the top of my head, he has those two Carriers that have been working up for some time now. I'm guessing their ASF wings were already veterans and were just getting experience in carrier operations alongside their crews, but they should be at least be solid by now. I think they also have a couple of Destroyers as close escorts (and those Davion IIIs frankly are nasty ships to have to face down) and I'm sure ComStar can assign a couple of their own ships to support them.

If they are going in hard and hot with nuclear armed strike wings, they can sweep the WOB naval presence clean from the system in VERY short order and then call in a joint ComGuard/LAAF ground force waiting for the jump signal nearby, to come in at a pirate point. And, under the cover of a massive naval barrage and air support from the carrier wings, smash into the cogboy soldiers from behind (especially with as much Battle Armor as you can scrape together, a Dragoons unit would be ideal for this battle) to wipe em out.

The FedSun's Navy actually has 3 New Syrtis carriers in reserve working up. As you say the wings are all veterans (transferred in as entire wings/regiments), all with the finest equipment and are mostly just learning to operate of a fleet carrier. And they were all picked for experience on warships/vengeance dropships. What they are lacking however in is escorts for now.

And I think you mean Dragonlords not Dragoons - Dragonlords are the heavy BA RCT's Dragoons are "merely" generic RCT's.

Chris OFarrell

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1188 on: 06 December 2019, 18:39:53 »
The FedSun's Navy actually has 3 New Syrtis carriers in reserve working up. As you say the wings are all veterans (transferred in as entire wings/regiments), all with the finest equipment and are mostly just learning to operate of a fleet carrier. And they were all picked for experience on warships/vengeance dropships. What they are lacking however in is escorts for now.

The Federated Suns keeps building so many damn ships its hard to keep track of them - the naval intelligence teams in the other powers must have headaches. Especially if the AFFS keeps playing silly buggers and switching around transponders and hull markings as they jump around to confuse the crap out of everyone :P

But that's why I was thinking the ComGuards could supply a flotila of Corvettes and/or the Lyrans. It'd also work politically if it could be presented as a joint operation with everyone in the fight against the Word of f*#king Blake.

And I think you mean Dragonlords not Dragoons - Dragonlords are the heavy BA RCT's Dragoons are "merely" generic RCT's.

Whoops, yes. Sorry, Dragonlords. Heph II is almost the perfect place for them to swarm in behind the enemy and infest the place, rooting out the Cyborg freaks one chamber at a time.

-Baron Stepan Von Strang

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #1189 on: 06 December 2019, 18:59:31 »
I figured be meant The Dragoons, the Wolfie's have been to Hesperus before
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

Chris OFarrell

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1190 on: 06 December 2019, 19:17:20 »
I figured be meant The Dragoons, the Wolfie's have been to Hesperus before

Also works - and they can be very pissed that these Toaster Worshipers are breaking their record (as the hostile force that got closest to breaching Defiance Industries) because THEY'RE CHEATING using spies and orbital bombardments! So they need to be obliterated damnit!  :D

-Baron Stepan Von Strang

Kiko70

• Corporal
« Reply #1191 on: 06 December 2019, 19:36:14 »
AFFS Warplans:
Operation Yellowbird..next stop Luthien and how to tame your Dragon.
Operation Toaster/ Toasted Wobbies..Terra or just slap the Toasster Worship Cult around.
Operation Purple Chicken...slap Marik toaster sympathizers around..KFC style, by the bucket.
Operation Mickey Dees...slap the the MAC's down and support the Andurien exiles.
Operation Hello Kitty...plans to get the Nova Cats out.
Operation Birdy..plans for the Raven Cooperation/Neutrality.
Operation GreenTurkey..plans for dealing with the Jade Falcons.
Operation Bad Doggy..plans for dealing with Dad's Wolves.
Operation Beotch Slap..Loki/ Rabid Fox Joint Special Operation Direct Action mission for Katy aka Marie Sue.

Just remembering Victor's blurb to Jackson Davion on how JD and the AFFS High Command/ General Staff has plans for any contingency.

Adventwolf

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1192 on: 06 December 2019, 23:55:05 »
If the FedSuns and ComStar send a fleet to take back Heph III then they would also be in a good position to gather a Lyran force to head to the FRR and attack the Combine from the second front. That or they could go and hit the WoB Protectorate worlds to weaken the WoB even more. After all no matter how important Terra and Sol are there is no way it can outproduce the Great Houses.

Billy Boy Mark II

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1193 on: 10 December 2019, 10:36:30 »
3070 - May - Operation Achilles IV

The battles within the Dieron Military District were not going well for the DCMS and the AFFS continued to press it's advantage as May proceeded. With Dieron itself almost entirely fallen and only Fortress Dieron itself holding out there was little that Warlord Kurita could do to reverse the situation either. While he could still call upon a number of uncommitted forces most of these were tied down garrisoning key worlds and holding the border. Throwing them into a counter attack was a huge risk as if it failed the District would have nothing left to fight with...

Dieron

On Dieron itself the Davion Assault Guards and their allies continued to pound and reduce the outer works of Fortress Dieron. Taking few chances they hammered the Kurita lines with huge quantities of artillery and air strikes, before battle armoured troops covered by entire battalion of assault battlemechs would press forward to seize the shattered position, moving the front lines a few hundred yards forward. At which point they would begin the entire process against the next bunker or line of entrenchments. It was a slow and dirty war of artillery and brutal combat but the Assault Guards were in their element. They had secure supply lines, air superiority, numbers and weight of metal on their side. Even better despite the prodigious rate at which the Guards were expending ammunition their supply depots were actually filling faster than they could empty them due to the huge industrial might of the Federated Sun's pouring to support them. Often damaged battlemech's were simply replaced with new ones while the damaged battlemech was shipped back to one of the refit centre to be almost entirely rebuilt before returned to service. Losses in the conventional forces were made up almost as quickly with a steady supply of new recruits flowing in.

Compared to this the DCMS troops penned in within Fortress Dieron were forced to rely entirely on the stocks of the fortress itself. Which were considerable but finite. As a precaution Warlord had all of the omnimech's in his forces outfitted purely as laser boats to reduce the expenditure of ammunition. For now he could replace destroyed battlemechs and repair any damaged battlemech's that were recovered in the huge workshops of the fortress, but again spare parts and armour were limited to what he had in stock as were replacement battlemechs. Most of the replacement battlemechs were older machines placed in storage and it became common to see old Panther 9R's and 10K's in the ranks of the 3rd Dieron Regulars in particular.

Around the rest of the planet conventional AFFS troops began filtering into garrison postings while a civilian government began to be set up - something that Dieron had not experienced in several hundred years as it had always been directly ruled by the DCMS given it's importance and as a Military District capital world. While there was some difficulty in finding suitable candidates, the world itself retained some small local civilian government institutions - often holdovers from the Terran Hegemony.

Fomalhaut

The 47th Dieron Regulars were finally granted orders to withdraw by Dieron on the 4th of May, however it was too late. Admiral Kossack's double strength aerospace wings swept down on the fleeing regiments dropships as they lifted up out of the planet's gravity well and caught them just as they were breaking orbit. The DCMS transport flotilla consisted of 2 Overlords, 4 Unions, 3 Leopard-CV's, 4 Condors and nearly a half dozen assorted civilian dropships mostly Mules. Escorting them are a single Achilles class assault dropship and the 47th's own attached fighter wing which has 29 aerospace fighters within it most of the pilots of which are green - the Achilles's and the 3 Leopard-CV's act as escorts with the fighters to the rest. Against this the 2nd Davion Guards RCT throw's 110 fighters as well as an Overlord-A3, 2 Achilles and no less than 7 Avenger class assault dropships. The 4th Davion Guard's full fighter regiment and the attached fighter wings of the 2 Fighting Urukhai regiments remain in reserve to protect the AFFS incoming dropships.

As the fleeing Kurita ships break orbit the Davion attack force strikes. Fully half of the 2nd Davion's fighters break off and attack the escorting fighters and dropships with support from the 2 Davion Achilles's and 4 Avengers. The remaining fighters and attack dropships streak past the firefight and hit the fleeing transports. The A3 pocket warship holds back and begins medium ranged capital missile strikes at the Kurita Overlord's and Unions in particular.

The infantry transporting Condors in particular are soon taken out by fighter strikes on their almost unprotected rear engines. At which point the fighters leave the crippled ships and swarm the Unions. In the meantime the Overlord A3 FSS Franklin's Fist has destroyed the first of the 2 Kurita Overlord's and is firing capital missiles at the second. Realising the situation the Tai-sa in command of the 47th Dieron orders his transports to make a break back for the planet. Shortly before his command Union blows up under the concentrated fire of squadron of 6 Hammerhead fighters and an Avenger class dropship.

Most of the civilian Mules are still undamaged but surrender or break for the outer system. A single Mule will actually make rendezvous with a Kurita jumpship and leave the system carrying several thousand tons of spare parts and ammunition. The others are all captured. The military dropships that remain try to escape back to the planet with their escape cut off. A single heavily damaged Union manages to make a semi-controlled landing at the world's capital's spaceport. Which "only" kills or injures half the crew and soldiers it was carrying. The remaining ships are either crippled and boarded or destroyed outright.

With the return of only a single crippled Union most of who's passengers are in no fit state to resist the impending invasion what is left of the planetary government surrenders before the first Davion battlemech sets foot on the sub-tropical world. The 2nd Davion Guards RCT takes the honour or landing to accept the surrender and return their old garrison posting to the FedSun's while the 4th Davion Guards and the 2 Fighting Urukhai, with little to do are redeployed to hit Lyon and Imbros III respectively.

Styx

The 1st Sheraton Knights and the 33rd Avalon Hussars RCT arrives in system on the 14th and straight away burn for the planet. The large planetary militia mobilise immedietly and by the time the first AFFS troops begin to land have deployed into strong defensive positions across the planet. While almost entirely infantry they put up a stiff resistance to the advancing Davion troops helped by the fact that the local storms ground most of the 1st Knights and 33rd Hussar's aerospace assets. Realising the slog they are facing the CO's of both units dispatch requests for additional infantry and light armoured formations to be sent to aid in the conquest. As well as at least one engineering battalion. While they wait they shift over to a mostly defensive war, holding onto roughly a third of the planet.

Imbros III

The defending 32nd Galedon Regulars - perhaps with less loyalty to Dieron and knowing their own Military District is hard pressed - don't bother to await permission to withdraw from Imbros III when the Fighting Urukhai's 8th Striker and Bar Hounds regiments arrived in system on the 28th. They immedietly flee the system on their own dropships and leave the planet in the hands of the puppet Combine governor. Who is deposed by the Lyran Loyalist resistance before the 32nd has even reached orbit. The 2 Fighting Urukhai burn for the planet in the name of "First Prince Victor Davion, ally and friend of the Lyran Alliance". It is clear from the start the Imbros III will be returned to the Lyran Alliance.

Lyons

The 13th Sun Zhang Cadre in a display of spirit if not wisdom declare that they will hold the world of Lyon for the Dragon until the last bullet and man when the 4th Davion Guards RCT jumps into the system on the 28th. The 4th Davion Guards head for the planet knowing that they will have a fight to take the world back for the Lyran's. However they are also being fed information from the local resistance and know that the Cadre while motivated are struggling to contain resistance movements across the whole planet. Lyon has never settled under the Dragon's banner and many on the planet wish to return to the Lyran Alliance - although more than a few hope for a return of the Federated Commonwealth.
« Last Edit: 10 December 2019, 11:01:25 by Billy Boy Mark II »

Shadow_Wraith

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1194 on: 10 December 2019, 12:16:31 »
Yay nice update!  I wonder is those former Lyran worlds will get a chance to vot to join the FedSuns rather than the LC?

Chris OFarrell

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1195 on: 10 December 2019, 15:57:45 »
Wonder if people in Lyons will remember that Victor and Katherine both abandoned them to the Combine when the FedCom split, albeit with the Combine troops coming in as 'peacekeepers' and anexing the place in the 3060s. And they were nominally Lyran worlds making them Katherines problem, so its hardly Victors fault she didn't prioritize getting them back...

Still, at least Victor has finally DONE something about it ... but its terribly bad timing from an optics point of view, for all the people who want Victor to retake the Archon-Prince position. Oh look, he just retook a bunch of Lyran worlds instead of focusing entirely on the Federated Suns, taking them back in the name of the Lyran Alliance to boot!

*FedCom Flag Waving Intensifies*

-Baron Stepan Von Strang

Billy Boy Mark II

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1196 on: 10 December 2019, 16:07:10 »
Wonder if people in Lyons will remember that Victor and Katherine both abandoned them to the Combine when the FedCom split, albeit with the Combine troops coming in as 'peacekeepers' and anexing the place in the 3060s. And they were nominally Lyran worlds making them Katherines problem, so its hardly Victors fault she didn't prioritize getting them back...

Still, at least Victor has finally DONE something about it ... but its terribly bad timing from an optics point of view, for all the people who want Victor to retake the Archon-Prince position. Oh look, he just retook a bunch of Lyran worlds instead of focusing entirely on the Federated Suns, taking them back in the name of the Lyran Alliance to boot!

*FedCom Flag Waving Intensifies*

To be fair to Victor - he has almost overwhelming support in the FedSuns. I mean even the people pissy about him perhaps taking over the Lyran Alliance and reforming the FedCom are more thinking "no, he's ours! get your own military genius!"... The Lyran Alliance also desperately needs a shot in the arm and reclaiming at least some worlds will help them. Although it will also bolster the "let's get Victor back" brigade.

Niopsian

• Lieutenant
  • I dunno.
« Reply #1197 on: 10 December 2019, 16:25:13 »
To be fair to Victor - he has almost overwhelming support in the FedSuns. I mean even the people pissy about him perhaps taking over the Lyran Alliance and reforming the FedCom are more thinking "no, he's ours! get your own military genius!"... The Lyran Alliance also desperately needs a shot in the arm and reclaiming at least some worlds will help them. Although it will also bolster the "let's get Victor back" brigade.

For extra irony, Victor needs to find the PR outfit Katherine was using to manipulate public opinion during her charm offensive back in 3061, with added emphasis on duplicating that insipid "I wish you were our ruler" moment with the little girl, then blasting it across the entire Sphere.

I like to picture Katherine sitting in her love nest on Tamar, going over the latest intercepted broadcasts out of the Alliance and having an aneurysm on the spot.

...cut a manager in to come up with a plan and the next thing you know you're big in Japan

Chris OFarrell

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1198 on: 11 December 2019, 04:00:40 »
To be fair to Victor - he has almost overwhelming support in the FedSuns. I mean even the people pissy about him perhaps taking over the Lyran Alliance and reforming the FedCom are more thinking "no, he's ours! get your own military genius!"...

"You chose ... poorly" </lastcrusadememe>

So not really hostility per se towards the Lyran Alliance (well, for the most part, but I'm sure there is still at least a BIT of salt over them blindly choosing the usurper Katherine over Victor, ****** over the Federated Suns by breaking the FedCom...) but just a 'like hell we're turning over the best House Lord in history!'.

Victor is probably going to have to play the kingmaker though.

The Lyran Alliance also desperately needs a shot in the arm and reclaiming at least some worlds will help them. Although it will also bolster the "let's get Victor back" brigade.

Probably can't help but shake out the shock. Although until they can do something about the WOB warships running around their space, they're going to be strategically paralyzed.

-Baron Stepan Von Strang

Adventwolf

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1199 on: 11 December 2019, 05:20:15 »
I'm surprised no one picked up on the fact that Peter's son came out healthy this time. Unlike in canon where he was harmed during the long birthing process and came out mentally handicapped.