Author Topic: Identify this ASF...  (Read 2724 times)

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
Identify this ASF...
« on: 17 March 2018, 16:32:22 »
I was perusing an old copy of TRO:3057 and ran across this image (by Duane Loose). I'm drawing a blank on the name. I did a quick look through TRO:3075 but did not find updated (Chaffee) artwork. Can anyone help me out?

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
Re: Identify this ASF...
« Reply #2 on: 17 March 2018, 16:48:45 »
My first thought was Centurion, but that's not the case. This one may have never gotten a name or stats.

Thunderbird I think

Nope, not enough of a creepy chicken plane.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #3 on: 17 March 2018, 17:02:13 »
Thunderbird is the Bug-eyed looking bird.

I thought Centurion, too, but a quick run-through sarna shows that while close, it's no the same. Even took a moment to thumb through my copy to see if it wasn't a dropship, since some of those look like fighters.

No go, there.

It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #4 on: 17 March 2018, 17:16:38 »
i've got a full folder of RS art for virtually every design with an RS and it matches no known design I have (the aforementioned centurion is the closest)

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 17 March 2018, 17:39:52 »
The 3057 fighter art is pretty weird though. Not just in how it looks (I'm looking at you Thunderbird). Some of it was definitely for fighters that already had art (The art now used for the Eagle was originally supposed to be the Hammerhead), and a lot of it appears to have been thrown in with no regard for what it was supposed to be. The images weren't specifically identified with specific fighters until the Aerotech 2 rules came out.

It could be the art in question was drawn with no fighter at all in mind. Alternately, it could be intended to represent another Star League era fighter that already had different art, like a spad or some such.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #6 on: 17 March 2018, 17:52:53 »
The new fighter drawings in TR3057 were for the designs found in the original AeroTech boxed set. Some were updated for TR3075, others were completely redesigned. This image was meant to be the Sabre.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 17 March 2018, 17:57:27 »
Interesting. Honestly, I'm glad they went with the image from Aerotech 2 instead.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #8 on: 17 March 2018, 22:23:51 »
Interesting, looks like it was inspired by a WWII era sea plane.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Cache

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 18 March 2018, 16:00:33 »
The new fighter drawings in TR3057 were for the designs found in the original AeroTech boxed set. Some were updated for TR3075, others were completely redesigned. This image was meant to be the Sabre.
Thank you. The Sabre was my initial guess but I didn't know whether or not the image was assigned to another unit in a newer product.

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #10 on: 19 March 2018, 18:26:06 »
I think it was orginally supoposed to be the lightning.
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #11 on: 19 March 2018, 18:27:48 »
I'm taking ColBosch's word on this one...

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #12 on: 20 March 2018, 01:35:31 »
I didn't pull it out of thin air. The Lightning's picture is on page 183 of TR3057, in the Medium Fighter section, near its stat block (as with all the fighter images, aside from the Vulcan, which is on the very last page of the book). As TR3075, pg. 251, shows, Doug barely changed it.

Here's the complete list:
TR3057, pg. 179 / TR3075, pg. 212: Sabre (completely redesigned)
TR3057, pg. 181 / TR3075, pg. 231: Centurion (identical)
TR3057, pg. 183 / TR3075, pg. 251: Lightning (identical)
TR3057, pg. 185 / TR3075, pg. 189: Hellcat (identical)
TR3057, pg. 187 / TR3075, pg. 265: Eagle (identical)
TR3057, pg. 189 / TR3075, pg. 287: Thunderbird (identical)
TR3057, pg. 224 / TR3075, pg. 303: Vulcan (completely redesigned, thank God)

Keep in mind that AeroTech was originally going to use the fighter visuals from the Crusher Joe anime. Only one design carried that over, the SL-25 Samurai from Sorenson's Sabres, as pictured on the cover of the original AeroTech boxed set. When that plan fell through, either because 21st Century Imports couldn't supply enough model kits or because FASA started getting cold feet about using licensed images, all of the fighters were redesigned by David Deitrick. Go back and look through the old sourcebooks, and you'll see that every picture of a given fighter shows it from the exact same angle. For years, FASA treated Mr. Deitrick's drawings as clip art, barely modifying them from product to product. This wasn't uncommon, even with Duana Loose's 'Mechs, but it was especially pronounced with the aerospace fighters. I don't think Mr. Deitrick ever worked with FASA again, which also explains oddities like the Stuka miniature's weird, tiny cockpit. The artwork shows it from below, and without the original artist's feedback, the sculptor had to make his best guess.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 20 March 2018, 02:20:38 »
Man, now I'm going to be up all night trying to find my old TRO 3057 so I can see what the vulcan used to look like. I don't even know if it still has a last page.

EDIT: Though I will pedantically point out that the eagle art was actually identified as the Hammerhead in the original TRO3057 on the intro page of the Fighter section, complete with the schematic layout and an arrow pointing to the autocannon. I remember that much clearly enough because after Aerotech 2 came out, there was someone on the board complaining that the Hammerhead had been switched back to it's original art.
« Last Edit: 20 March 2018, 02:28:48 by Liam's Ghost »

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #14 on: 20 March 2018, 02:39:57 »
Man, now I'm going to be up all night trying to find my old TRO 3057 so I can see what the vulcan used to look like. I don't even know if it still has a last page.

EDIT: Though I will pedantically point out that the eagle art was actually identified as the Hammerhead in the original TRO3057 on the intro page of the Fighter section, complete with the schematic layout and an arrow pointing to the autocannon. I remember that much clearly enough because after Aerotech 2 came out, there was someone on the board complaining that the Hammerhead had been switched back to it's original art.

Yup, I saw that. I laughed.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #15 on: 20 March 2018, 02:44:10 »
Here, I'll save you all the trouble of digging up your copies of 3057. Enjoy!

Cache

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: 20 March 2018, 03:27:22 »
I'd completely forgotten that image. Lol... squashed version of the Redtail from Cowboy Bebop.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #17 on: 20 March 2018, 03:33:53 »
OMG, that thing is just horrible to look at.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #18 on: 20 March 2018, 03:57:37 »
I dunno, I think it has a certain charm...no, I'm sorry, that thing is just awful. TR3057 has problems. ;D

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #19 on: 20 March 2018, 07:34:32 »
Clearly it's a MiG-28. It's just hard to tell because it's in an inverted dive.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #20 on: 20 March 2018, 11:44:10 »

Wow. That's... wow. Who needs aerodynamics when you've got a fusion torch?

Wotan

• Lieutenant
« Reply #21 on: 20 March 2018, 11:58:50 »
Images in TRO3057 are causing troubles all the time. With the warships we have two valid artworks for each design - and even miniatures for both. I remember my confusion when all the artwork changed from BattleSpace to TRO3057.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #22 on: 20 March 2018, 12:22:14 »
Images in TRO3057 are causing troubles all the time. With the warships we have two valid artworks for each design - and even miniatures for both. I remember my confusion when all the artwork changed from BattleSpace to TRO3057.

BattleSpace used the TR3057 art. Do you mean Technical Readout 2750?

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #23 on: 20 March 2018, 12:27:39 »
a colour image of this ASF is on the frontispiece of HMP Aero I think

I always thought it wasn't bad looking.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #24 on: 20 March 2018, 15:23:23 »
And I thought I knew all the ASF designs.....nope.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Wotan

• Lieutenant
« Reply #25 on: 20 March 2018, 16:10:29 »
BattleSpace used the TR3057 art. Do you mean Technical Readout 2750?

My version of BattleSpace has all the TRO2750 art and the good old ASF like the Samurai.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #26 on: 20 March 2018, 16:21:22 »
My version of BattleSpace has all the TRO2750 art and the good old ASF like the Samurai.

Yep. It predates TRO 3057 and the art changes.

Cache

• Captain
« Reply #27 on: 20 March 2018, 17:13:32 »
a colour image of this ASF is on the frontispiece of HMP Aero I think
So it is. Thank you for that, it led me to FM: Periphery where it is labeled as a First Alliance Air Wing (Centurion).

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #28 on: 20 March 2018, 17:43:52 »
Yep. It predates TRO 3057 and the art changes.

Huh. First, I am surprised I misremembered that. Second, my BattleSpace rulebook turns out to be a bad misprint and has over a dozen completely blank pages. *sighs*

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #29 on: 22 March 2018, 07:52:41 »
Huh. First, I am surprised I misremembered that. Second, my BattleSpace rulebook turns out to be a bad misprint and has over a dozen completely blank pages. *sighs*

I had that happen with my old Record Sheets: Light Mechs book. Always figured I'd just get another copy next time I saw one... never did find another, so the bad one is still on my shelf. (Of course, between using printing programs for sheets and not having played in a long time now, it's never been an issue.)
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Register