Author Topic: Machine Guns  (Read 4818 times)

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
Machine Guns
« on: 12 April 2018, 12:37:21 »
So I picked up a Piranha and need to know how to use MG's. Most of the time I've just dumped ammo when I have mechs with then.

Ignore my lack of brain cells at the moment: how much ammo do they use per firing?Then their is the optional rule about Rapid Fire mode that I wasn't sure about.

Any and all help: thanks.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
Re: Machine Guns
« Reply #1 on: 12 April 2018, 12:50:17 »
one ammo expended per shot per machine gun. a full ton explodes for 400 damage making it one of the most potent forces in the BTU

rapid fire rules are on TO pg 102

roll 1d6, do that amount of damage, gain that much heat, expends damage inflicted x3 ammo.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 12 April 2018, 12:51:45 »
Normal rules: 1 per shot. Meaning a ton of MG ammo is enough for 200 shots for one MG. Way too much.

Rapid fire rules: As many shots as the dice show. So, you roll 6, you used six shots but the drawback is that you also generate heat.
EDIT Wait, it wasn't as many ammo as dice showed but actually far more?

*opens TO*

EDIT Right, Sartris is correct here. Though it should be noted that under RF rules, MGs MUST be used in RF mode the whole game if they're set to use those rules, decide before game for each MG.
« Last Edit: 12 April 2018, 12:55:36 by Empyrus »

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 12 April 2018, 12:54:41 »
one shot per gun unless you're using optional rules, each shot does 2 damage for basic MG's, 1 damage for lights, or 3 for Heavies.

the range brackets for Lights are a little longer than basics, and Heavies are ridiculously short. (1 hex medium, 2 hexes long).

Basic Machine guns range: 1/2/3 like 3025 small lasers.  Lights double it, Heavies lose the short LONG range bracket except against targets inside the same hex entirely.

(edited.)

Each 'shot' in an ammo explosion does this:

Lights: 1 point
Machine Gun: 2 points
Heavy Machine Gun:3 points.

none of them generate heat.

vs. infantry, the basic rule is that you multiply 1d6 per standard point of damage. 

Light: 1D6 vs. unarmored infantry
Machine Gun: 2D6 vs Unarmored Infantry
Heavy Machine gun: 3 D6 vs Unarmored infantry.

Inner Sphere weight:

Light MG: .5 tons
MG: .5 tons
HMG: 1 ton

Clan Weight:

Light: .25 Tons
MG: .25 tons
HMG: .75 tons.

« Last Edit: 12 April 2018, 22:25:46 by Cannonshop »
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Alsadius

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 12 April 2018, 13:37:25 »
Also, if you're facing conventional infantry they do bonus damage. Instead of 2 damage from a regular MG, they do 2d6. (And it's not reduced like most weapons are vs infantry).

In 3025 they're decent as low-heat guns, because ranges are usually so short. Once you get advanced tech they get pretty weak, but they're still good vs infantry.

Kovax

• Captain
  • Taking over the Universe one mapsheet at a time
« Reply #5 on: 12 April 2018, 15:52:37 »
Note that as a 0.5 ton zero heat weapon, installing multiples pay off big time, all using the same ammo bin.  Punch holes with a big gun, then refill them with lots of little bits of lead in the same firing phase.  Critical hits galore.  A Large Laser or PPC and several MGs is a nice combination against most light and many medium targets.  The TDR is a good example of such a design, as is the PXH.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 12 April 2018, 15:55:43 »
Neither the Thunderbolt nor Phoenix Hawk feature many MGs, only two. That is not really impressive. Slap a couple of flamers in their place, like that one introtech Warhammer variant does, for anti-infantry work or extra firepower as needed, despite the extra heat.

Now, the Piranha works, as does the Joust tank, which has 8 LMGs and half a ton of ammo (ie 12.5 rounds of fire per gun). That is effective use of MGs.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 12 April 2018, 17:23:13 »
Note that as a 0.5 ton zero heat weapon, installing multiples pay off big time, all using the same ammo bin.  Punch holes with a big gun, then refill them with lots of little bits of lead in the same firing phase.  Critical hits galore.  A Large Laser or PPC and several MGs is a nice combination against most light and many medium targets.  The TDR is a good example of such a design, as is the PXH.

Yup.  Even just putting 4 on, with half a ton of ammo, gives you 8 damage, for 2.5 tons (though 5 crits), and you gain 25 shots per MG..
Though if i am going that route, i much prefer doing 5 MGs.

It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 12 April 2018, 17:34:44 »
While 3 tons nets you up to 10 damage with MGs, the same weight can buy you one SRM-4 with up to 8 damage across four clusters with triple the range. OK, there is heat, but the range increase is significant enough to off-set the heat.
Alternatively, three tons can be used for 6 Small Lasers, for up to 12 damage for the same range as the MGs. This time the heat cost is worth considering, on the other hand, the MG ammo is explosive and it is unlikely you'll use more than half of the ammo.
Yet another alternative is 3 Medium Lasers, for up to 15 damage with triple the range.

Don't get me wrong, MGs have their uses. But unless you're expecting to fight infantry and collateral damage is not acceptable (ie no flamers), then MGs are not exactly a great choice.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #9 on: 12 April 2018, 19:08:10 »
Slap a couple of flamers in their place, like that one introtech Warhammer variant does, for anti-infantry work or extra firepower as needed, despite the extra heat.

You mean the Hothammer or Liao Warhammer?

Yeah that's a beast anyday!

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 12 April 2018, 19:16:15 »
Yeah, that.

It is a good upgrade. Cappies should've upgraded their Thunderbolts and BattleMasters with flamers as well.

lucho

• Warrant Officer
  • say hello to my new friend!
« Reply #11 on: 12 April 2018, 19:32:09 »
Machine Gun arrays are where it's at  8) :thumbsup:
If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat?

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 12 April 2018, 19:37:30 »
MG Arrays don't make MGs better necessarily. They tie them to one to-hit roll. Useful way to generate a lot of hits or crits to single location, but at the same time it is all or nothing.

At least they can be turned off, so they mostly add an option. But i figure that i'd usually just opt for extra MG over the array itself.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 12 April 2018, 19:51:48 »
Yeah use a Hothammer, a pair of Crusader-8Ls and a Raven-SS with 2 Squads of Fa Shih support LGR variant.

Evil, evil, evil... bad and horrid actions galore!

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #14 on: 12 April 2018, 20:08:48 »
Heavies are ridiculously short. (1 hex medium, 2 hexes long).
Heavies lose the short range except against targets inside the same hex.

That isn’t true. HMGs have a short range of 1, medium of 2 and no long range (1/2/-)
per TW.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #15 on: 12 April 2018, 20:20:40 »
It is the BA Bearhunter that has ranges 0/1/2 IIRC.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #16 on: 12 April 2018, 20:39:16 »
It is the BA Bearhunter that has ranges 0/1/2 IIRC.

that's the one. non-infantry units can't make weapon attacks against units in the hex they occupy - just physical attacks (usually relegated to kicks because it's the only attack that can hit the majority of units that share a hex with a mech)

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #17 on: 12 April 2018, 21:46:02 »
that's the one. non-infantry units can't make weapon attacks against units in the hex they occupy - just physical attacks (usually relegated to kicks because it's the only attack that can hit the majority of units that share a hex with a mech)

We've had this discussion before... you have to displace the unit before it can legally occupy the hex. Otherwise, the hex in question is " tactically " occupied! Only Infantry can swarm over an occupied hex.

NON player aligned units can not enter hex, only player units can. This rule goes way back to Battledroids.

I know, I have every rule book made for Battletech, including all current boxsets and Battletroops! Not to mention my mini fetish...

And this isn't a flame war, I'm done.
TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #18 on: 12 April 2018, 22:06:25 »
We've had this discussion before... you have to displace the unit before it can legally occupy the hex. Otherwise, the hex in question is " tactically " occupied! Only Infantry can swarm over an occupied hex.

ok
« Last Edit: 12 April 2018, 22:08:17 by Sartris »

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #19 on: 12 April 2018, 22:26:28 »
That isn’t true. HMGs have a short range of 1, medium of 2 and no long range (1/2/-)
per TW.

good catch.
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #20 on: 13 April 2018, 07:37:35 »
It is a good upgrade. Cappies should've upgraded their Thunderbolts and BattleMasters with flamers as well.
i'm not sure if they ever had all that many of the latter for it to matter, and for the former, if they did that, how would the Thud's perform their oppression'Peacekeeping' duties? Rubber bullets are so handy for that.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #21 on: 13 April 2018, 08:06:47 »
good catch.

I would have preferred it be a tuna. Those are tastier than rules.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Kovax

• Captain
  • Taking over the Universe one mapsheet at a time
« Reply #22 on: 13 April 2018, 09:17:22 »
Neither the Thunderbolt nor Phoenix Hawk feature many MGs, only two. That is not really impressive. Slap a couple of flamers in their place, like that one introtech Warhammer variant does, for anti-infantry work or extra firepower as needed, despite the extra heat.
Not impressive, but a nice supplement to the existing battery of lasers.  Replace those MGs and ammo with 2 Flamers and you've got the same damage capability, but now you're generating 6 more heat, and have to choose between overheating or leaving out a weapon.  I'll generally take the heat-free MGs in that situation, although there are cases where being able to deliver 2 points of heat could be more useful.  With the TDR, I'll load Inferno ammo for the SRMs to overheat adversaries, and use the MGs for crit-seeking or PBI-hunting.  When fielding the PXH, I'll bring a friend in a FS to the party, with both MGs and Flamers.  The Flamers are more effective against infantry, but I'll take the MGs for fighting a mix of targets.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #23 on: 13 April 2018, 12:22:30 »
I would have preferred it be a tuna. Those are tastier than rules.

to catch the tuna, you have to get on a BOAT. (ewwww)

Alsadius

• Lieutenant
« Reply #24 on: 13 April 2018, 13:06:51 »
I don't have my TW handy, but I thought MGs and Flamers did identical damage to infantry. Everyone here is saying flamers are better. Am I forgetting something?

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #25 on: 13 April 2018, 13:17:26 »
Machine guns deal 2D6 damage to infantry platoons. Flamers do 4D6

If you weren’t aware, weapon damage vs infantry changed in TW

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #26 on: 13 April 2018, 14:45:35 »
Just to clarify so we don't have to have go around the bush on this one again (and to avoid confusing others)

nope: https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=61077.msg1401306#msg1401306

I should note the phrase "'tactically' occupied" has never, to my knowledge, appeared in relation to stacking in any rulebook I've read.

NON player aligned units can not enter hex, only player units can. This rule goes way back to Battledroids.

I'm not going to dig out my own battledroids rulebook, but to confirm that the current stacking rules have been in place since 1987: https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=61077.msg1401330#msg1401330

I know, I have every rule book made for Battletech, including all current boxsets and Battletroops! Not to mention my mini fetish...

You're http://puu.sh/A2t5v/cde35bfe7f.png
Not http://puu.sh/A2t7k/4bad03ae21.png
The http://puu.sh/A2t83/b3fd6d1c83.png
Only http://puu.sh/A2t8Q/fd61fcc103.png
One http://puu.sh/A2t9e/fa9fb39d40.png

So to the point of machine guns, they can't fire on units in the same hex, unless mounted on Battle Armor.
« Last Edit: 13 April 2018, 14:47:26 by Sartris »

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #27 on: 14 April 2018, 06:58:28 »
Okay... wow guys thanks for the quick responses and what not helpful solutions to massively obliterating infantry legions.

Register