Author Topic: Looking for group in Central Maryland  (Read 117510 times)

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • 3601 S Broad St. Phila. PA 19148
Re: Looking for group in Central Maryland
« Reply #150 on: 14 November 2015, 23:32:38 »
Roger that Paul.  Is any wealth or CP lost if not initially used? or are they kept around for accrual?

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #151 on: 15 November 2015, 09:33:00 »
Kept. You'll gave quite a lot of different things to spend it on, and one of the main things to earn is based on your combat achievements.
The solution is just ignore Paul.

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #152 on: 15 November 2015, 21:38:49 »
Fun times at 3025/3039 day.

Fun fact of the day:

1) Paul can be merciful.  Occasionally he will bring Jade Hellbringer's dice to roll instead of his own.

2) Paul flipping you the double birdie can make you you roll snake eyes.

3) Everyone thinks you are in a Marauder 3D and overheating until you walk up to them and kick them for 20 damage  }:)

Paul

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #153 on: 16 November 2015, 01:26:55 »

Yep, thanks to VikingmacBrea (?) for hosting it! We had 5 players, and 2 more who arrived late and set up for a 1 on 1.

1) Paul can be merciful.  Occasionally he will bring Jade Hellbringer's dice to roll instead of his own.

Fortunately, someone else found snake eyes on the first consciousness check, so I felt better.

2) Paul flipping you the double birdie can make you you roll snake eyes.

If only I realized I had this power.

3) Everyone thinks you are in a Marauder 3D and overheating until you walk up to them and kick them for 20 damage  }:)

That charge should've booted you off the map!

Other fun moments:
Banshee, putting the boot to a downed and shutdown Whitworth. Has a hostile Panther in its face who is about to get charged by an Ostroc. Panther gets a punch in, hits, gets the head. Which has previously been hit for 7 damage. Roll crit, sensors, cockpit! The Panther pulled the Banshee's MechWarrior out before getting sacked himself. Amazing kill. And he stuck the landing after the charge, finding a home for all 30 damage.

Next turn: Atlas getting shot from behind by a standard Warhammer. It fires everything but the PPCs, and scores all over the place. Doesn't breech armor anywhere, but a small laser gets a floating critical. Resolves to the Right Torso, rear. Crit chance: 1. Location: Mint AC20 ammo. The Atlas had barely been scratched...

Also props to the Awesome/Hunchback/Panther(another one)/Jenner player. He started on a hill, I bravely ran away. He caught up and shot the snot out of me. Made me pay for my cowardice...

Cubby

• Space Wizard of Secrets
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Major
  • BattleTech Assistant Line Developer
« Reply #154 on: 16 November 2015, 08:20:13 »
Being there for a couple of hours is just fine. The rules are actually built to support walk ons and walk offs.

Glad to hear it--I have hockey tickets that night, so my first time for this one will probably just be noon to 4ish.

Doesn't breech armor anywhere, but a small laser gets a floating critical. Resolves to the Right Torso, rear. Crit chance: 1. Location: Mint AC20 ammo. The Atlas had barely been scratched...

ALWAYS fire the small laser.
Demo Team Agent #639, northeastern Maryland.

BattleTech Assistant Line Developer, writer and editor - Sarna.net Profile

Engineer

• Corporal
« Reply #155 on: 16 November 2015, 13:06:09 »
sounds like it was fun.  hopefully I can make the next one.

VikingmacBrea

• Recruit
« Reply #156 on: 16 November 2015, 15:29:44 »

Fun fact of the day:

To set record straight I jumped directly in front of it, and laugh at it's PPC's & AC5's Minimum Range Modifiers. Though a swift kick end those giggles quickly.

Glad everyone seemed to have fun. Thanks to everyone who made it out, & those who expressed interest. Also thanks to Paul for being there to quickly answer rules questions & for helping the newest player out with learning the game.

I learned a few things about hosting a game.

1) 3way fights always go to least aggressive side. Not knocking it, it was a good tactical decision.

2) 4 Mechs is probably a good max for each player. Even the best players can be slowed down making too many decisions in one turn.

3) Somebody has to make the important decisions, if your hosting it should probably be you.

With #3 in mind I made some important decision about next months game & I will be posting them on a new thread, so they won't get tangled up in the discussion of other events & meet ups.

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #157 on: 16 November 2015, 23:30:55 »
That charge should've booted you off the map!

It was the other way around.  Vulcan charged the Marauder II and missed.  Had he hit me I'd just have been pushed back toward the SRM, death dealing, son of gun Bombardier.

Other fun moments:
Banshee, putting the boot to a downed and shutdown Whitworth. Has a hostile Panther in its face who is about to get charged by an Ostroc. Panther gets a punch in, hits, gets the head. Which has previously been hit for 7 damage. Roll crit, sensors, cockpit! The Panther pulled the Banshee's MechWarrior out before getting sacked himself. Amazing kill. And he stuck the landing after the charge, finding a home for all 30 damage.
Most awesome Panther ever.

Next turn: Atlas getting shot from behind by a standard Warhammer. It fires everything but the PPCs, and scores all over the place. Doesn't breech armor anywhere, but a small laser gets a floating critical. Resolves to the Right Torso, rear. Crit chance: 1. Location: Mint AC20 ammo. The Atlas had barely been scratched...

And within 2 turns (?) the MG ammo in the Warhammer's center torso goes up in a blaze of glory.

Glad to hear it--I have hockey tickets that night, so my first time for this one will probably just be noon to 4ish.

I don't have hockey tickets next weekend, but I will will have booze.  Given the traffic to and from my household I think I'm going to skip next weekend as it looks like I'll have only get in an hour of play time vs 4 hours (up and back) driving.  I'll be there on the 8th though.

To set record straight I jumped directly in front of it, and laugh at it's PPC's & AC5's Minimum Range Modifiers. Though a swift kick end those giggles quickly.
Had that been any other Vulcan have kicked that leg clear off *shakes fist*.

Glad everyone seemed to have fun. Thanks to everyone who made it out, & those who expressed interest. Also thanks to Paul for being there to quickly answer rules questions & for helping the newest player out with learning the game.
You both did an excellent job.

I learned a few things about hosting a game.

1) 3way fights always go to least aggressive side. Not knocking it, it was a good tactical decision.
Generally yes.  However there was a fair amount of quick deaths due to ammo explosions and lucky hits.  Considering we were playing with floating crit it was a bit surprising.

2) 4 Mechs is probably a good max for each player. Even the best players can be slowed down making too many decisions in one turn.

3) Somebody has to make the important decisions, if your hosting it should probably be you.

With #3 in mind I made some important decision about next months game & I will be posting them on a new thread, so they won't get tangled up in the discussion of other events & meet ups.

Considering the circumstances, Paul volunteering probably wasn't the worst thing to happen.  Considering he had brought with him a large folder of sheets.  I didn't bring any spares and I'm not certain about anyone else.  I had thought about suggesting the idea that everyone print out an extra 50 ton mech just in case we had walk ins for a throw together force.  I don't know that you necessarily have to start another thread yet to keep the schedule straight, but it can't necessarily hurt.

Cubby

• BattleTech Developer
  • Major
« Reply #158 on: 18 November 2015, 14:13:47 »
Quick check: who's in for the Solaris VII kickoff this weekend?

I'll be there 12pm - 4pm. In a 'Mech that already makes me want to throw up in my mouth a little.

VikingmacBrea

• Recruit
« Reply #159 on: 18 November 2015, 15:12:15 »
I plan on attending this weekend.

Paul

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #160 on: 18 November 2015, 16:21:50 »
Schweet.

Just a quick reminder that I'd hope to get more mech selections prior. PM me if you've made a choice.

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #161 on: 19 November 2015, 00:36:34 »
I'll be there 12pm - 4pm. In a 'Mech that already makes me want to throw up in my mouth a little.

Sounds like another ringing endorsement for an Urbanmech or a Hollander!

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #162 on: 19 November 2015, 16:39:31 »
Sounds like another ringing endorsement for an Urbanmech or a Hollander!
We used to play this type of Solaris often, the Gauss Hollander is a pretty good starter 'Mech.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

Cubby

• BattleTech Developer
  • Major
« Reply #163 on: 19 November 2015, 16:59:57 »
We used to play this type of Solaris often, the Gauss Hollander is a pretty good starter 'Mech.

15 damage is a lot of damage when everyone is running around in a light 'Mech.

VikingmacBrea

• Recruit
« Reply #164 on: 19 November 2015, 21:16:26 »
The LBX Hollander was in my top 2, for it's ability to punch holes then find them for crits, but I went with what I thought would be a more unique choice & based on the theme I wanted to go with.

Cubby

• BattleTech Developer
  • Major
« Reply #165 on: 23 November 2015, 13:11:12 »
Great time on Saturday, glad I could make at least a few hours.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to make the next game on Dec. 6, as I'll be doing belated Thanksgiving with family. Looking forward to coming back and being totally crushed and out-classed in January!

Paul

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #166 on: 30 November 2015, 10:19:19 »
Does it help to know the event is December 5th? =)

Just a reminder to everyone that the next bout is Saturday, starting at noon.

After that, the next one will be Saturday January 16th. We'll take a wee poll then to decide if we'll make any changes then.

Cubby

• BattleTech Developer
  • Major
« Reply #167 on: 30 November 2015, 13:29:50 »
Does it help to know the event is December 5th? =)

It does not! Might help to know how to work a calendar, however. We'll still be on the New(ish) Baby Holiday Tour of the Mid-Atlantic.

After that, the next one will be Saturday January 16th. We'll take a wee poll then to decide if we'll make any changes then.

Plenty of time to start modding my potential new 'Mech, if you think the one I sent you via e-mail is kosher.

I'm enjoying this format a lot, personally.

How'd the rest of the Nov. 21 event play out? Anyone make it up into a heavy yet?

Paul

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #168 on: 30 November 2015, 20:12:13 »
There's several scoring implications of heavy mechs.
Though one player did take a Clan medium, which scores as if it's a heavy.

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #169 on: 01 December 2015, 00:51:22 »
So how outclassed am I going to be when i show up in my puny light mech this weekend? :'(

Paul

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #170 on: 01 December 2015, 13:29:31 »
So how outclassed am I going to be when i show up in my puny light mech this weekend? :'(

Not very: there's several rules in place that keep lights relevant, you just have to play very sneakily to avoid major firepower attention.
Remember, it's all about doing the things that score you money, CP and fame, and you get bonuses for attacking things bigger than you.
And penalties for attacking things smaller than you...

Cubby

• BattleTech Developer
  • Major
« Reply #171 on: 01 December 2015, 21:39:02 »

Four hours less than I'd be if I showed up this weekend, and 10 hours less than I'll be when I make the January game...

Not very: there's several rules in place that keep lights relevant, you just have to play very sneakily to avoid major firepower attention.

So you're saying my proposed 'Mech with the Sword will draw attention?

Engineer

• Corporal
« Reply #172 on: 02 December 2015, 09:49:02 »

you will be in the same situation as me.  my last mech got killed in the last round while I scored no points in the game.(2 hits total, no crits)  so I'm starting over again.

Paul

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #173 on: 02 December 2015, 12:47:45 »
Yes, aggression is how you earn. The rules don't reward safely sniping at the edge of combat.

Cubby

• BattleTech Developer
  • Major
« Reply #174 on: 02 December 2015, 16:07:54 »
Yes, aggression is how you earn. The rules don't reward safely sniping at the edge of combat.

Tell it to my Eisenfaust's upper left arm actuator. I was cruising along stomping along the outskirts of the map (don't call it camping) until I got brave/stupid and one gauss round cost me something $430,000 to repair before I sold the stupid thing.

Paul

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #175 on: 02 December 2015, 16:39:26 »
Tell it to my Eisenfaust's upper left arm actuator. I was cruising along stomping along the outskirts of the map (don't call it camping) until I got brave/stupid and one gauss round cost me something $430,000 to repair before I sold the stupid thing.

Operator error.
I'll let you know when my next shipment of compassion comes in. ;p

Cubby

• BattleTech Developer
  • Major
« Reply #176 on: 02 December 2015, 19:40:44 »
That was hateful. I'll just be over here, modding a Gurkha sword onto a 'Mech that probably shouldn't have one...

Paul

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #177 on: 02 December 2015, 21:45:22 »

VikingmacBrea

• Recruit
« Reply #178 on: 05 December 2015, 20:59:19 »
Thinking about trying to get an Alpha Strike group together at G&S. Thinking 1st Sundays of each month, starting in January. Any interest?

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #179 on: 05 December 2015, 23:55:33 »
Interested, yes.  Able to make it on a regular basis.  Iffy.  I figure on 2 games a month probably my limit since it is a 4 hour drive up and back for me.