Author Topic: Looking for group in Central Maryland  (Read 117564 times)

Cubby

• Space Wizard of Secrets
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Major
  • BattleTech Assistant Line Developer
Re: Looking for group in Central Maryland
« Reply #540 on: 29 May 2018, 08:58:07 »
Hoping to make it out, since it'll be my last rodeo for awhile with kid no. 2 due on June 7.

Demo Team Agent #639, northeastern Maryland.

BattleTech Assistant Line Developer, writer and editor - Sarna.net Profile

The Eagle

• Captain
  • This is what peak performance looks like!
« Reply #541 on: 11 June 2018, 14:13:58 »
Hey guys, I'm in Linthicum for a business trip through Thursday.  Anything going on up here during the week?
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

Hit me up for BattleTech in the WV Panhandle!

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #542 on: 11 June 2018, 15:24:37 »
I think there's an AS game at the Glen Burnie store every Monday evening, but I might be mistaken about the frequency (I rarely get to attend)

Beyond that, nothing I know of, but I don't mind trekking up for a brief pickup game, if you like? Wednesday evening maybe?

Paul
The solution is just ignore Paul.

The Eagle

• Captain
« Reply #543 on: 11 June 2018, 17:41:12 »
Hell yeah!  I assume you mean Games & Stuff?  (Closest thing I could find on Google)  I thought of this off the cuff so I'm sans materiel; I assume you can provide Mechs and sheets?

Paul

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #544 on: 11 June 2018, 17:47:29 »
Yep, Games and Stuff!

I'll bring game materials (sheet, maps, dice, minis), I just need you to give me a time to be there, and an indication of what sounds like a fun battle to you. I'll slap it all together.
If you prefer, we can take that to PM or email. psjardijn@comcast.net
Up to you.

Cubby

• BattleTech Developer
  • Major
« Reply #545 on: 11 June 2018, 18:06:15 »
PSA: While visiting Games and Stuff this weekend, I saw on their schedule that there's a "BattleTech Alpha Strike Mega-Event!" on Saturday, June 23. I can reach out to (the person who I think is) the organizer for details. But I think this is their capstone event to the current cycle of Alpha Strike Monday events.

Paul

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #546 on: 11 June 2018, 21:06:57 »
Dang, yes, I've been shirking my duties!

Jeff, who runs the AS events will have a major event that day (Actually, he told me Sunday the 24th... Maybe the site has it wrong?
Anyway, if you're at all interested in AS, that might be a good day to swing by!
He specifically told me it's open for anyone to walk up (I'm a huge pile of garbage for forgetting to push this before now)

Cubby

• BattleTech Developer
  • Major
« Reply #547 on: 11 June 2018, 21:28:44 »
Actually, he told me Sunday the 24th... Maybe the site has it wrong?

You and the site are probably right--I think the paper calendar I saw does the Euro-style M/Tu/W/Th/F/Sa/Su thing. Always confuses and scares and angers me.

Paul

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #548 on: 11 June 2018, 21:45:28 »
Always confuses and scares and angers me.

Do you... Do you need a hug?

Paul

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #549 on: 13 June 2018, 22:32:46 »
A good time was had by all, though a better time was had by team Marik!

I was again reminded that those Leaguers have some really nice 'Mech designs on their roles. They get a lot of crap for the LGR, but I think that's just a ruse to make you fail to take proper notice of beasts like the Perseus B...

Team Marik:
Albatross 3U
Perseus B
Wolverine 7M
Scarabus 9T (I goofed, didn't realize this was a Steiner 'Mech)

Team Kurita
Naginata C3A
No Dachi 1K
Wolf Trap C
Panther CA

2/3 skills everywhere; we wanted this to be quick.

Team Marik was bringing a ton of firepower to the show, but I hoped my TSM and C3 would bring me victory!
(BV, team Marik had about 100 more, call it even)

Things started off alright with the Naginata trundling towards a solid firing position. Level 2 with HW. Team Marik maneuvered its sole ECM unit well (after spitting on the sheet a few times to get the Steiner off of it). It had hopes of getting the Naginata under its bubble, but the threat-in-being that was a 28 point kick or 16 point sword strike from the No-Dachi initially kept it at bay.

Then the No Dachi was lured out of position by skillful maneuvering of the Leaguers from the 10th Marik Militia. (That sure sounds better than 'Paul had a dumb and chased a squirrel')

This allowed the Scarabus zip by and pull the Naginata from the network, with the Wolf Trap and Panther in feeble pursuit. The Panther lucked a kick against the Scarabus, and while very little firepower connected against the agile 'Mech, the bits that did really favored its laser arm, ripping it off.
Confident that the tide was turning again in favor of the Dragon, the pursuit was called off, and the units focused on their other enemies.

The Scarabus used its freakish speed to get right next to the 'Nata. On a level 3 hill. The command Mech got a punch in only moments before the axe struck home to the cockpit, robbing the Combine of one of its tactical geniuses.

The Combine made a desperate rush to take out the Albatross, as prior efforts had been enough to make the Wolverine retreat, but it was not to be. The Albatross died hard, leaving the Mariks with a nearly mint Perseus B to take on a badly hurt Wolf Trap, the largely theoretical remains of a Panther, and a swordless No Dachi with more ammo tonnage than armor left.
The day was won by the team with severe parliamentary problems.

Also, I forgot how fun Albatross' are. The terrain never let it play its cavalry game, but the sheer firepower it and the Perseus contributed was just awesome. Also, that Wolverine is wayyyy more competent than I realized.
On the Kurita side, I had fun with the Wolf Trap and No Dachi, but I feel like I really gave them a poor showing with how I handled em. The Panther panthered well, no complaints. The Naginata is a turret. Hard to love, but effective.

Good fun, hope that you find yourself near us again!

The Eagle

• Captain
« Reply #550 on: 14 June 2018, 10:13:06 »
Good game for sure!  Thanks again for coming out, especially on such short notice!

The moment of the game was definitely when the Little Scarabus That Could decapitated the Naginata.  The Perseus was probably Mech of the Game for me though; he was punched gauss slugs and large laser bolts into every Mech you fielded, did the most to mess up the Wolf Trap, and got the kill on the Panther.  He'd lost some torso armor - we forgot to activate AMS when the Nag and No Dachi were raining missiles on it, by the way - but was otherwise in a good place and ready to rock that No Dachi if we'd had time to keep playing.

If I ever make it back up that way, I'll bring some stuff and we can throw down again for sure!

Paul

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #551 on: 02 July 2018, 22:10:50 »
Reminder that we're kicking off the new campaign this Saturday! It's gonna be very Clanney. Starts at noon, bring a surat.

Also a heads up: the 2018 WWE will be run at Games and Stuff on Saturday, August 4. Not going to GenCon? Well, maybe you can still have a Battletechey weekend!
(Noon till 6)

Come to be some Leaguers, kill some Leaguers, or to just gaze in awe at the first new maps made for BT in nearly 2 decades.

Tinyozora

• Master Sergeant
  • House Jurai
« Reply #552 on: 02 July 2018, 22:23:15 »
I know we talked but still booooooooooooo.  Stop running games when I'm out of town.

Tricked2L

• Recruit
« Reply #553 on: 25 July 2018, 15:57:44 »
Hey Guys is the WWE open to new minimal experience players? Also is it still scheduled for August 4, 2018 @ G&S?  Are there any prerequisites or materials required? I have not played BT since my 3rd edition box set and would like to get back into making scrap metal.

Paul

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #554 on: 25 July 2018, 20:36:27 »
Heya!

- Experience: yep, it's open to new players. If you're able to get there prior to 12, we can give you a quick primer which should make the game smoother/more fun.

- August 4 at noon, yep! Thanks for the reminder on that, I was gonna do that soon.

- Requirements: none, all materials provided. A sense of humor isn't required, but it helps. ;)

- 3rd edition: Yep, you'll encounter a fair amount of new equipment, but I think we will be able to find you a few rides where the culture shock won't be too severe!

Looking forward to seeing you there!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #555 on: 26 July 2018, 19:44:45 »
You're a bit too far north of me (and across a particular river...) but I may be able to commandeer my wife's car one of these days to at least meet you face to face.  We don't always agree (OK, we USUALLY don't agree), but I'd still like to meet eventually...

Paul

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #556 on: 26 July 2018, 22:00:25 »
You're a bit too far north of me (and across a particular river...) but I may be able to commandeer my wife's car one of these days to at least meet you face to face.  We don't always agree (OK, we USUALLY don't agree), but I'd still like to meet eventually...

Yeah man, we can still have fun, even when you're wrong. ;)

It's good fun to meet people you only know on the forums, so hope to see you one of these days! If not the 4th, then maybe another.

Paul

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • 3601 S Broad St. Phila. PA 19148
« Reply #557 on: 27 July 2018, 02:02:52 »

If you want a ride and can PM your location I can see what I can do to either meet up or pick you up on my way on the 4th.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #558 on: 27 July 2018, 03:34:28 »
Awesome, thanks!  I'll have to see what my wife has planned for the 4th, and I'll PM you once I have that sorted out.

Paul, absolutely!  I got to meet Charlie 6 last week, and it was great!

Paul

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #559 on: 27 July 2018, 15:16:03 »
Paul, absolutely!  I got to meet Charlie 6 last week, and it was great!

He's pretty awesome!

Also, the next session I'll have is September 29th, noon till 6. Part two of the Raven Games!

Tricked2L

• Recruit
« Reply #560 on: 29 July 2018, 20:30:25 »
Heya!

- Experience: yep, it's open to new players. If you're able to get there prior to 12, we can give you a quick primer which should make the game smoother/more fun.

- August 4 at noon, yep! Thanks for the reminder on that, I was gonna do that soon.

- Requirements: none, all materials provided. A sense of humor isn't required, but it helps. ;)

- 3rd edition: Yep, you'll encounter a fair amount of new equipment, but I think we will be able to find you a few rides where the culture shock won't be too severe!

Looking forward to seeing you there!
Hi Paul,
I can arrive early on Saturday. What time would work best for you? BTW I downloaded the current QS rules from the web and purchased the current Battletech Battlemech Manual to read over which I can bring so I have some rule references. I also found a bunch of my old FASA Battletech sets, miscellaneous source books and record sheets from the early 90's. I have been away from the game for so long I had no clue a bunch or my old mini's have been replaced with re-sculpts of completely new design. Thanks for helping out a old returning player. I look forward to meeting up :thumbsup:

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #561 on: 29 July 2018, 20:36:47 »
Great meeting you today Paul!  I look forward to next weekend, but won't guarantee we've had our last argument here on the board...  >:D

Paul

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #562 on: 29 July 2018, 22:06:46 »
I can arrive early on Saturday. What time would work best for you?

They open at 10am, which would give us a ton of time.

BTW I downloaded the current QS rules from the web and purchased the current Battletech Battlemech Manual to read over which I can bring so I have some rule references.

Yeah, the BMM is great, that'll get you really caught up.

I also found a bunch of my old FASA Battletech sets, miscellaneous source books and record sheets from the early 90's. I have been away from the game for so long I had no clue a bunch or my old mini's have been replaced with re-sculpts of completely new design.

Almost all old minis work just fine (though I'll have minis through the generosity of others for the event, so should be OK)
Only minis for art CGL doesn't own are offlimits. That includes stuff like what they took from Dougram, Crusher Joe and Robotech, but also stuff made by Victor MI. Those images are often referred to as 'unseen'.
That restriction only applies to official events run (such as that upcoming WWE), obviously you can use whatever you like in your own games.

Thanks for helping out a old returning player. I look forward to meeting up :thumbsup:

No worries, see you in about a week!

Paul

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #563 on: 29 July 2018, 22:08:05 »
Great meeting you today Paul!  I look forward to next weekend, but won't guarantee we've had our last argument here on the board...  >:D

Yeah, it was good seeing you, and hanging out some afterwards!
You're welcome to as many arguments as you like. Just remember: I know where you live now. ;)

Thanks for the book suggestions!

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #564 on: 30 July 2018, 20:46:18 »
I'll try to remember to bring brownies for everyone.
« Last Edit: 30 July 2018, 21:10:39 by Jester006 »
Did you hear about the LEGO store grand opening?  People were lined up for blocks...

Paul

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #565 on: 31 July 2018, 20:46:50 »
I'll try to remember to bring brownies for everyone.

... Why yes, i do accept bribes, thanks for asking!

Tricked2L

• Recruit
« Reply #566 on: 03 August 2018, 05:45:41 »
I look forward to meeting everyone tomorrow at Games & Stuff for the WWE event.

Paul

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #567 on: 03 August 2018, 19:43:34 »
Mechs printed. Map printed. Dice have received their allotment of motivational speaking. Minis are ready to go.

Should make for an entertaining day, I reckon! Especially looking forward to yelling at everyone about the 20 seconds they have to move.  >:D
WWE 2018: be there!

Paul

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #568 on: 03 August 2018, 19:46:01 »
As long as you're not running the clock on me while others are moving, no problem!  ^-^

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • 3601 S Broad St. Phila. PA 19148
« Reply #569 on: 03 August 2018, 21:57:54 »
Mechs printed. Map printed. Dice have received their allotment of motivational speaking.

More importantly, did you pack the sheets and the maps ;D  Also should I bring dice for you to make any MASC rolls you might decide to make?

Register