Author Topic: Looking for group in Central Maryland  (Read 117516 times)

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
Re: Looking for group in Central Maryland
« Reply #690 on: 16 September 2019, 05:29:13 »
It's been known to happen... ;)

Glad you guys all had fun! This was supposed to be a much closer fight, but you guys all made off with some major salvage!
Down side: the Cutdown for dealing with you delinquents just went way up.
Will post with an October date soon.

As we all know, it's almost impossible to account for the randomness in die rolls.  I've see a force who had a 6k+ disadvantage in BV wreck the opposing side.

You definitely did a good job making it feel that if we made a mistake, we'd be punished severely for it; and that almost happened. 

The Marauder literally being 1 LBX pellet away from being taken out.  The Jaegermech and Devastator getting heavily damaged.  The Grasshopper getting lucky with the partial cover.  Yes, we were victorious in this fight, but we got lucky WAAAY too often. 

The company could have easily lost another 3-5 mechs, and at that point I dont think it would have been worth the salvage that was obtained.  Narratively, however, its turning out to be interesting.

A couple surviving companies of a regiment who managed to hold their own that captured a few enemy pilots and are now probably having to do a strategic fighting withdrawl not just to save their own skins, but to bring back the valuable intel of these new invaders.

« Last Edit: 16 September 2019, 08:55:36 by Jester006 »
Did you hear about the LEGO store grand opening?  People were lined up for blocks...

Cubby

• Space Wizard of Secrets
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Major
  • BattleTech Assistant Line Developer
« Reply #691 on: 16 September 2019, 08:41:56 »
It's been known to happen... ;)

The Star of Hellstars from Hell!

The Jaegermech and Devastator Pillager getting heavily damaged.

FTFY

Demo Team Agent #639, northeastern Maryland.

BattleTech Assistant Line Developer, writer and editor - Sarna.net Profile

Jatska

• Recruit
« Reply #692 on: 16 September 2019, 13:49:52 »
The Jagermech was 100% my fault cause I was bored plinking with AC/2 on 10+, it at least took 2 assault worth of fire for 1 turn off the rest of the group.
Also don't you mean the THUNDERHAWK.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #693 on: 16 September 2019, 15:39:43 »
The Centurion tried that trick twice, and only survived it once... :)

At least the pilot survived!  8)

If our next scenario is anything other than us running for the dropships, I'll have to wonder why the S-2 hasn't relieved whoever the acting CO is...  ^-^

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #694 on: 16 September 2019, 17:18:57 »
I'm guessing the S2 "requisitioned" a vehicle and is already well on their way transporting a couple of those POWs and that targetting computer to the first ship off this rock.
Did you hear about the LEGO store grand opening?  People were lined up for blocks...

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #695 on: 16 September 2019, 17:44:50 »
Given the weight of the Targeting Computer, probably more than one vehicle...  ^-^

Tinyozora

• Master Sergeant
  • House Jurai
« Reply #696 on: 16 September 2019, 18:30:48 »
the TC got popped in one of the crits

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #697 on: 16 September 2019, 18:40:40 »
Im sure you can extract a few vacuum tubes... ;)

Thanks guys, this is exactly the kind of reaction I take as a sign things are going well.

The solution is just ignore Paul.

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #698 on: 16 September 2019, 18:45:39 »
Im sure you can extract a few vacuum tubes... ;)

Thanks guys, this is exactly the kind of reaction I take as a sign things are going well.

I'm interested in seeing what sort of fraken-mechs will be made with the spare parts that got scrounged.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #699 on: 16 September 2019, 18:54:35 »
the TC got popped in one of the crits
It's still heavy, though...

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #700 on: 16 September 2019, 22:47:11 »
It's still heavy, though...

It has a mass of what?  5 tons?  There are pick up trucks that can tow that today.

But assuming we cant fix the Warhawk..errr... I mean the strange looking 85 ton rifleman, then I think we can use 1 of the ER PPCs to replace the damaged one on the Marauder and the other to upgrade one of the PPCs on the Devastator.  If the LRM 10 survived, the Dervish could use that.

Then theres the ER med lasers that we can divvy out like we're on an Oprah show.  "You get a laser and you get a laser!"

I know I'm getting ahead of myself, but mashing mechs together out of salvaged parts is something I enjoy.  Especially if you are forced to replace a mech's engine with one of a different rating that throws things out of balance.

Cubby

• BattleTech Developer
  • Major
« Reply #701 on: 17 September 2019, 08:04:43 »
Wait, what happened after I left? (My last turn was the turn I made the Victor a convertible.)

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #702 on: 17 September 2019, 09:00:04 »
Wait, what happened after I left? (My last turn was the turn I made the Victor a convertible.)

The Summoner got run down by the Javelin, Cataphract and Marauder, but not before it put alot of damage on the Marauder.  The company then offered the Warhawk and Turkina to leave the battlefield, but they declined.  So the company then shifted to close the distance between the 2 remaining clan mechs to provide cover to the Marauder and Devastator as they disengaged.

The Grasshopper got extremely lucky due to 3 out of 4 ER PPCs hitting a hill the Grasshopper took cover behind.  The company focused on the Warhawk.  A triple crit blew off one of the Warhawk's arms, the other was completely destroyed.  However, in a single turn of shooting, the Warhawk and Turkina took out the Cataphract and Centurion.

When it appeared to have been deprived of all of its weapons on the account of it not shooting, all but the P.hawk, Stalker and Axman switched to the Turkina.  The Axman blew off one of the Warhawk's legs taking it completely out of the fight.

The Javelin managed to hit the Turkina in the head with one of its SRMs which knocked out the pilot.  We decided that the Turkina's head would have been shot off from all the mechs that were surrounding it.

In summary, the Victor had its head shot off.  The Marauder was one engine hit away from shutting down.  The Centurion was so heavily damaged that it's probably a complete loss (it took like 4-5 engine hits along with massive structural damage).  The Cataphract could probably be repaired, but it would take time I'm not sure is available.  The Stalker took some internal damage and I think one of its LRMs was damaged too.

The Warhawk is missing both arms and a leg, but 2 of its PPCs and the LRM10 (I think) were salvaged.  The targeting computer took a single hit, would probably be taken out to be sent back for analysis.  I think the Summoner was cored.  If its AC20 can be salvaged, I'm sure the Axman would be happy to receive it.  The Turkina needs a new head and some armor, but that's it.  The Black Lanner and Black Hawk were cored IIRC, but most of their weapons could be salvaged.
« Last Edit: 17 September 2019, 09:56:11 by Jester006 »

Cubby

• BattleTech Developer
  • Major
« Reply #703 on: 17 September 2019, 10:18:39 »
Oof. Sounds like the analysis above was accurate - a heavy price to pay, but some good salvage. Mostly in line with what you'd expect from this era and type of engagement. "Boss, I know the company got totally mauled but you gotta check out this PPC..."

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #704 on: 17 September 2019, 10:42:40 »
Oof. Sounds like the analysis above was accurate - a heavy price to pay, but some good salvage. Mostly in line with what you'd expect from this era and type of engagement. "Boss, I know the company got totally mauled but you gotta check out this PPC..."

The company did get lucky in many situations.

The Jaegermech could have been taken out; it had less than 14 structure points left in one of its side torso.  The Marauder having two engine hits and one point left in it's right torso, the Grashopper having partial cover to soak up a fair amount of damage.  The Turkina pilot passing out probably saved the Dervish .

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #705 on: 17 September 2019, 16:51:57 »
The Centurion's only serious internal structure damage was in the Center Torso.  Paul actually got lucky there, drilling it like that.  But it still had IS left, even if the XL engine took 4 crits (all in the CT)…

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #706 on: 17 September 2019, 21:02:07 »
Paul actually got lucky there

I believe I've provided a significant sample of data that day which makes that, conclusively, a ludicrous statement. ;p
The solution is just ignore Paul.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #707 on: 18 September 2019, 03:32:09 »
Sorry I didn't scope that sufficiently... Paul got lucky that ONE turn out of the whole game...  :D

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #708 on: 19 September 2019, 20:36:44 »
I believe I've provided a significant sample of data that day which makes that, conclusively, a ludicrous statement. ;p

A stopped clock is right twice a day... ;)
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #709 on: 25 September 2019, 20:29:11 »
If I can make the next game, I'll be bringing in a platter of Chick-Fil-A nuggets.

Tinyozora

• Master Sergeant
  • House Jurai
« Reply #710 on: 26 September 2019, 18:40:39 »
I support this.

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #711 on: 26 September 2019, 18:45:10 »
I support this.

I never said i was going to share.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #712 on: 26 September 2019, 18:46:57 »
We like you anyway...  :D

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #713 on: 26 September 2019, 18:51:39 »
Maybe Paul will accept a tribute in the form of delicious poultry goodness to say we found an extra ER PPC from the Warhawk's wreckage.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #714 on: 26 September 2019, 18:54:53 »
You pull that off, and we'll REALLY like you!  ^-^

Cubby

• BattleTech Developer
  • Major
« Reply #715 on: 27 September 2019, 07:27:19 »
To declare fire, please place a nugget next to your target.

(But lord, the effects of grease on the neoprene maps...)

https://tenor.com/XHEf.gif

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #716 on: 27 September 2019, 10:07:18 »
Or maybe every time you inflict a critical hit, you get to take a nugget from the person who's controlling the unit that got attacked.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #717 on: 27 September 2019, 17:02:38 »
That presumes the nuggets survive past the first turn...  ^-^

Tinyozora

• Master Sergeant
  • House Jurai
« Reply #718 on: 27 September 2019, 18:22:04 »
Heck, that assumes they even make it to the first turn.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #719 on: 27 September 2019, 18:45:21 »
Heh, also true...  ^-^

Register