Author Topic: Exile in Syberia  (Read 41154 times)

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
Re: Exile in Syberia
« Reply #90 on: 11 August 2020, 03:27:08 »
Yes, but are there any Syberians able to ride each other?

I...do not know how to answer that.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #91 on: 11 August 2020, 06:37:34 »
You mean like Junkions?  Transform into giant motor cycle, the other rides the other one with hachet?
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #92 on: 17 August 2020, 17:15:24 »
So...I have a mini for Groundwave in the works:

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=70672.0
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #93 on: 17 August 2020, 21:59:02 »
I...do not know how to answer that.

Well, any Syberians trying to ride atop others would count as External Cargo and follow such rules.... Meaning that I'd probably not recommend it. The tiny drones used by the likes of Wave Sounder are basically 1- to 3- ton non-convertible micro vehicles that mimic familiar cassettes like Laserbeak and Buzzsaw in appearance when deployed. ;)

- Herb

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #94 on: 17 August 2020, 22:32:57 »
Well, any Syberians trying to ride atop others would count as External Cargo and follow such rules.... Meaning that I'd probably not recommend it. The tiny drones used by the likes of Wave Sounder are basically 1- to 3- ton non-convertible micro vehicles that mimic familiar cassettes like Laserbeak and Buzzsaw in appearance when deployed. ;)

- Herb

So, something like my Spybird?

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=68869.0;wap2

Planning something Nighthawk based for Rumble.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #95 on: 18 August 2020, 06:40:51 »
Too bad Battle Armor size Bots / drones can't be used.  Or maybe Ultra Light BattleMechs.  That's would be trippy cool.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #96 on: 18 August 2020, 08:36:19 »
Too bad Battle Armor size Bots / drones can't be used.
Who says that? :)

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #97 on: 18 August 2020, 08:44:10 »
So, something like my Spybird?

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=68869.0;wap2

Yup! Pretty clever design!

Planning something Nighthawk based for Rumble.

Hmmmm. That has potential, yeah.

- Herb

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #98 on: 07 October 2020, 04:09:40 »
Unit Log, VeeMech TDR-1-74-01107C-J
Date 3018-07-23 10:22:17, Log Entry 10

Combat sucks.  It’s intense, it’s exhilirating, it’s terrifying, but it’s not a video game, and it has real consequences.  People get hurt, whether those people are squishy humans or multi-ton AI-driven robots.  People die.

Committing acts of violence bothered me, and I was glad that it still did.  Something like that should never get to be easy.  I’d been in fights before, or at least I remembered being a human who’d been in fights before, though not a dire life-or-death fight.  That’s not to say I’d never had weapons pointed at me before, but that the times where I had, I’d been able to present a deterrence enough to keep from getting attacked, defused the situation enough to keep from getting attacked, or both.

This time, though,  I’d been thrown into a situation where four of us were trying to stop, and by “stop” I basically mean destroy or kill, three “bad guy” AutoMechs belonging to the Democratic Industrial Conglomorate, the “DemoCon” knockoffs of the Decepticons I remember from cartoons.  We’d knocked out all three, but at the cost of one of our own, and significant damage to two others.

And why?  Over a political dispute between two long-dead groups of human beings who’d managed to get themselves killed as a result?  Because a writer thought it’d be funny to set up parodies of an ‘80s cartoon in the Battletech universe, and needed to find a way to make the facile good-vs-evil of the original material fit into a much grayer fictional universe?  Because some ****** who, from my perspective, is basically omnipotent decided it’d be hilarious to drop a copy of my mind into an AutoMech, turn me loose on Syberia, and see what happened?

Real fighting isn’t a joke, and isn’t funny, as I’m sure the dead AutoBoP and DemoCon AutoMechs would attest to if, y’now, they weren’t dead.

The thing with AutoMechs, though, is they don’t necessarily stay dead.  Manx had his engine taken out, and the skeletal structure of his torso ruined.  There’s no rebuilding his current body, but his head, and thus his core computers, were intact, and salvageable.  Currently, his head and the remains of his torso were set aside, until Spanner can get ahold of a new body for him, at which point they’ll try to bring him back online.

Our DemoCon interlopers, meanwhile, had also been stripped for salvage parts, their heads, containing their computer cores, set aside until an AutoMech with a more particular set of skills could go through and try to mine data from their onboard computers, to clean useful intel data from them.

That AutoMech wouldn’t be me, however, and for that I was thankful.  In theory, both Spanner and I had the gear to do so.  In practice, though, Spanner’s skillset emphasized diagnostics and repairs, not intel gathering.  My own AutoMech skills, meanwhile, were sorely lacking, and my understanding of what was going on “under the hood” of an AutoMech computer essentially nonexistent, and crawling around in the memories of a mostly-dead AutoMech seemed particularly awful.

It hasn’t all been doom and gloom, though, and like I mentioned in my last log, Ripley had some good news for us: she managed to break through the caved-in area and shore it up enough for us to get through to the other side.  We found an elevator, which we're still trying to get to work, but there's also a ramp that leads farther down into the complex, still partly obscured.  We also found something else, though: a hatch, one big enough for BattleMechs to pass through.  The hatch somehow still had some power going to it, and we were able to force it open just a little bit before it jammed: not enough for an AutoMech to slip inside, but enough to get a recon drone inside.

“Wait, a recon drone?” you ask.  Or, y’now, maybe you’ve already encountered them here on Syberia, and you’re not surprised.  But, either way, I’m going to explain what they are.

So, in my last supplemental log entry, I mentioned that Sounders and their variants, including VeeMechs or me, carry one or more 3-ton cargo holds.   They don’t always use that for spare parts, or loot: often they carry small drones, ranging from 3-ton solar-electric UAVs to smaller humanoid models.  They don’t have the space or mass for the computers a full AutoMech has, so while they're capable of carrying out specific instructions, they're basically dumb as a post.

Spanner, as it turns out, has a whole team of humanoid drones he uses to help him repair areas he couldn’t otherwise reach in an AutoMech.  Blast Sounder, the not so friendly DemoCon we took out, had most of his drones taken out by Glyph and Manx during the last battle, before Spanner or I stepped outside to help.  I hadn’t realized it, but it turns out I’ve got a drone, too, which nobody really thought to tell me, because they didn’t know I did.  Glyph and Spanner were surprised I didn’t know about it, but I’ll be damned if it isn’t going to make my life just a little bit easier.

My drone was basically a fully-robotic version of the Nighthawk, the 400kg armored exoskeleton, that the SLDF Special Forces used shortly before the collapse of the Star League.  No integrated weaponry, but a pair of gauntlets that could carry handheld weaponry, not that it’d do much against a full-sized ‘Mech.  At not much bigger than a really big person, though, it was perfect for checking the other side of the door, or beyond the obstructions still blocking the ramp.  It would have been damned handy to try to search some of the smaller human-sized passageways I’d seen but had no way to explore.

And, no, it hadn't even occurred to the Glyph to try, or Spanner, to try using his little repair bots that way.  Innovation and creativity aren't strong suits for AutoMechs, and they don’t tend to think about how the difference between a 2-meter tall human and a 10-meter tall AutoMech might look at the world.

It took a bit of trial and error, but I figured out how to deploy my “little” drone, which I shall hereafter call “Mini-Me”.  Even better, while Mini-Me might not be smart, exactly, its onboard computers were purpose-designed to allow me to connect and take control of it, as if Mini-Me were my own body.  Operating Mini-Me that way wasn't the same as being the OEM organic body I still remembered having, but I'll be damned if it wasn't close.  Moving around as Mini-Me was easy.  Even Glyph, who was convinced I was nearly hopeless, and obviously defective, began to seriously consider that maybe I really had been human once.

I'd felt more like myself than I had in the entire time I remembered being on Syberia.  But using Mini-Me that way is problematic.  I'm only vaguely aware of what's going on in my AutoMech body, and trying to directly control both at the same time is just not possible.  My AutoMech body didn’t exactly have an autopilot, either.  It was another reminder that, as nice as having Mini-Me was, it wasn’t my real body, the AutoMech was, and the computers that hold my consciousness, that make me “Groundwave”, reside in that body, not the human-sized drone.

I remember just sitting down and crying digital tears for a half-hour hour after that realization.  Then I got back up and, using Mini-Me, scaled the debris still by the door and checked out the other side.

There wasn’t exactly a lot of light, but I found the problem quickly enough: the door hydraulics had failed, causing the emergency blast door to drop closed.  At first, I thought someone had tried blasting through it, perhaps to try to storm inside, or rescue people trapped in the base, but hadn't been able to.

That wasn't the case, though.  Looming in the barely lit room was a familiar form, though one so enormous, even my main AutoMech body would have been dwarfed: a 1900-ton Leopard class DropShip, a spacecraft large enough to carry four BattleMechs and a pair of aerospace fighters, partially crashed in its hangar.

“Well,” I remember saying out loud, “that's a thing.”

« Last Edit: 07 October 2020, 04:20:13 by Giovanni Blasini »

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #99 on: 07 October 2020, 04:21:39 »
Welcome back, story!  :thumbsup:
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #100 on: 07 October 2020, 04:49:05 »
Thanks. Last month and a half has been an ever-accelerating train wreck of epic proportions, and this has been the only one of my stories where the characters were talking to me.

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #101 on: 07 October 2020, 06:04:50 »
Just got to here, hope your character can eventually have some sort of catharsis, and make a difference on Syberia

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #102 on: 07 October 2020, 07:02:02 »
That was cool entry!  now you need give your drones abilities like pile driver to cause mini-quakes.  ;D

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #103 on: 07 October 2020, 19:26:15 »
That was cool entry!  now you need give your drones abilities like pile driver to cause mini-quakes.  ;D

Or the neural link via VDNI or BVDNI, so you can make Robotix?

Still, Groundwave's preprogrammed skillset software is empty.  Time to be a Neo and see how many skills he can learn?  That would be a useful trade for the AutoBoPs to offer.

Perhaps he will be transferred into the Griffin, and give his original body to Manx?

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #104 on: 07 October 2020, 20:11:37 »
Or the neural link via VDNI or BVDNI, so you can make Robotix?

...the hell did I just watch? ???

I think I suppressed memories of that from when I was a kid.

Still, Groundwave's preprogrammed skillset software is empty.  Time to be a Neo and see how many skills he can learn?  That would be a useful trade for the AutoBoPs to offer.

"I know kung fu."

Perhaps he will be transferred into the Griffin, and give his original body to Manx?

I could not possibly comment on whether Groundwave will stay stuck in this body or not.  I will say that I've considered him ending up in a variety of other bodies, possibly even more than one, including:

• A stock Griffin
  • An old Banshee
  • A Cosmos LAM
  • A Stinger or Wasp
  • A Seeker/AeroMech fighter AutoMech
  • The last SHD-X1 Shadow Hawk LAM, ie. the missing prototype that was taken from Allied Aerospace headquarters and replaced with a Phoenix Hawk LAM as a gate guardian in canon, only to end up on Syberia as the basis for their bimodal LAM tech.
  • A Leader-class wheeled AutoMech
  • A Beetle-class wheeled AutoMech
  • An UrbanMech variant
  • A CGR-1A1 Charger
  • An expy of Blades from Transformers Rescue Bots
  • A weird cross between an SLDF Cobra VTOL, a Karnov, and Windblade
  • A FrankenMech built from the parts salvaged from broken Terran Hegemony 'Mechs inside the firebase[/url]
  • A refit PHX-2 Phoenix Hawk

And that's all in addition to the possibility of staying in his current body.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #105 on: 09 July 2021, 05:11:56 »
And, in other news, as I prep to work on this story, I’m now DMing my first D&D game since 3rd Edition, running a DnD5e game for my wife and 8 year old son.

My son’s playing a bronze dragon wyrmling Druid (statted out, more or less, like a dragonborn), my wife a halfling bard with “mom energy” whose vicious mockery cantrip is basically her telling her targets she’s not mad, she’s disappointed.  To help round out the party, I figured I’d throw an NPC companion or something to help round them out, but while my wife was painting D&D minis and I was finishing a primitive WSP-1 Wasp, my son announced I should play the ‘Mech.  I’d already planned to set the game on “Toreel”, so, yeah, I guess at some point a wizard decides Groundwave should be shrunk down and made into a weird-looking warforged? ;D

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #106 on: 09 July 2021, 06:01:43 »
Of course that happened

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #107 on: 09 July 2021, 06:10:16 »
It would be interesting cross over. If anyone who could run Grimlock in Toreel, it's you Gio.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #108 on: 09 July 2021, 06:15:17 »
so, yeah, I guess at some point a wizard decides Groundwave should be shrunk down and made into a weird-looking warforged? ;D

*Chimkin McNuggNugg glances around nervously*

(Of course she's a pathfinder brand wizard rather than a 5.0 version, so that's probably a totally different timeline)
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #109 on: 09 July 2021, 07:21:04 »
Yup. Totally unrelated. Move along

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #110 on: 09 July 2021, 12:56:05 »
Of course that happened

What can I say?  He likes stompy robots, too.

*Chimkin McNuggNugg glances around nervously*

(Of course she's a pathfinder brand wizard rather than a 5.0 version, so that's probably a totally different timeline)

Though Chimkin exists in multiple timelines, right?

It would be interesting cross over. If anyone who could run Grimlock in Toreel, it's you Gio.

That would be hilarious, too, but they're gonna need to be higher level for that.

Last session, they just hit second level, and so we're working on how to level up everyone's characters.  I ended up making Groundwave as an artificer, who also just hit second level.  At third, I was planning on him going armorer subclass, since neither of their characters is really a tank.

Since, at least in this timeline, he ends up a shrunken-down Wasp, I went with fire bolt (best I could do for a laser) and mending for his cantrips, keep jump or feather fall (for his jump jets) and cure wounds as his readied 1st-level spells (neither of them have played D&D before so while they both have healing, having the NPC able to heal them seemed a good idea too).  Unfortunately, since his Dex is only a 10, he's not exactly the best at ranged combat, but that's fine if he's tanking for them, anyway - it lets them focus on doing the damage or coming up with other ways to creatively stop the bad guys.

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #111 on: 09 July 2021, 13:22:17 »
Are we going to see more of this story? I have a truckload of popcorn waiting to go into the microwave.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #112 on: 09 July 2021, 13:29:17 »
Yup.  This is probably going to be the next to update.  Unless the Beer Keg of Science! chooses to interfere.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #113 on: 09 July 2021, 13:59:16 »
Yup.  This is probably going to be the next to update.  Unless the Beer Keg of Science! chooses to interfere.
Anything that can fire thermonuclear missiles and full of beer always the right of way!  :D ;D

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #114 on: 09 July 2021, 17:20:48 »
Awesome!  I can't wait to hear more!  :thumbsup:

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #115 on: 09 July 2021, 17:35:47 »

His name was Grimdark, and he was very bad news for at least one of the Fellowship....

- Herb

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #116 on: 09 July 2021, 21:10:52 »
RIP Sir Beanomir. ;D

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #117 on: 13 September 2021, 13:46:18 »
Date 3018-08-03 22:14:21, Log Entry 11

So, the past three days have been insanely busy.  Spanner and Ripley managed to force the blast door open a bit more, and we’ve make some impromptu repairs on the hydraulics, so it’s now what I’d like to call vaguely operational.  I think the blast door is locked away again, but I’m not exactly an expert on hydraulics, so I’ll have to take Ripley’s word for it.

That leaves us with the next obvious task: the DropShip.  If you’ve never seen one, Leopards are big: there are airliners that are certainly as long, but they’re nowhere near as bulky as a Leopard Class DropShip is, which more closely resembles a factory building with stubby wings and a slanted front, with giant engines on the other end.  In a lot of ways, it reminded me of the time I saw Space Shuttle Endeavour in Los Angeles with my parents.  The Space Shuttle was certainly big, roughly the length of something like a Boeing 737.  The Leopard was around twice as long, twice as tall, and twice as wide as I recall Endeavour to be…well, assuming my memories are accurate and that actually did happen.

Which reminds me: speaking of possibly faulty memories, my son turns 1005 today.  So, um, happy birthday, kiddo?  Yeah, that’s depressing to contemplate.

I try not to think of my family, my friends, and everyone I ever knew as being dead for centuries, even though in this universe they certainly are.  Instead, I try to think of them as just separated impossibly far away, and that the differences in time, then, are irrelevant.  That was easier to do, though, when I thought I’d just woken up here, and that my point of departure from my previous life and timeline was immediate.  But discovering that, instead, I’d been dormant, memories from this universe lost, for a couple hundred years doesn’t help with that.  Has time been moving at the same pace in my home universe?  If so…well, humans don’t live to be more than two hundred years old, so they’re still gone.

I’d originally thought, especially after seeing my old, burnt-out body, that maybe the reason I’d forgotten everything from my time here on Syberia was due to damage, or an imperfect transfer of the computers that make up my mind between that ‘Mech body and this one.  Now, contemplating exactly what it would take to actually get home, between the thousand-light year distance, the thousand years of time, and the whole being in a whole different universe thing, and I begin to wonder if I’d intentionally asked Major Thaddeus Wescott there to help me forget, and hoped to just not ever be woken up again.

Yeah, this line of thinking is going to get me nowhere.  Focus on the immediate problem, solve that, then work on the next problem.  Repeat as needed, or until you can’t solve the next problem.  Maybe I’m stuck here.  Maybe not.  Maybe someday I’ll know for sure.  That day, though, is not today.

So, the next problem: getting into the Leopard.  Not surprisingly, while the Leopard seems incredibly huge when I’m in my human-sized drone, it seems notably less so when I look at it in my 10-meter tall ‘Mech body.  At that scale, it feels more like an oversized general-aviation plane, like maybe a Cessna Caravan, or even better, the wonderfully ridiculous Antonov An-2 oversized biplane.  Yeah, that’s probably a better comparison.

The external hull looked pretty banged up overall, but I didn’t see any hull breaches that might prevent it from flying again, and I suspect that the ship hadn’t crash-landed so much as been knocked around when it was getting ready to leave the bunker’s hangar and take off.  The landing gear looked a little trashed, and would need to be repaired if we’re ever going to move it, and there’s the small matter of being able to lift a 1900-ton DropShip to do that, but…we’ll see.  Of course, I’m not an expert on DropShip maintenance or piloting, so I’m not sure how valid my opinion is in the first place.  Fortunately, Spanner, who not an expert has knowledge on repairing stuff, seems to agree.  We’ll need to see at some point if the hangar doors are intact enough to open if we intend to extract the Leopard from here, under its own power or not.  Once we’re able to access the onboard computers, though, we’ll have a more clear idea of what kind of shape the ship’s in, and whether or not it’ll ever fly again.

We’re going to try that tomorrow, though.  Right now, my neural nets evidently need to re-index, or whatever excuse Spanner and Glyph are using to explain to themselves why I need to kind of sort of sleep, so I’m going to do that, and we’ll see if my Terran Hegemony IFF codes can get me in the door to the Leopard tomorrow.

Date 3018-08-04 23:38:01, Log Entry 11 – Supplemental A

So, yeah, that actually worked.  There was enough power left in the battery reserves on the Leopard that, once I was able to find the right set of instructions, I was able to interface with the controls for one of the ‘Mech bay doors, and get it, and then the other doors, to open.  So we’re in, and have begun to catalog what we’ve found aboard.  And, oh my, have we found some things.

First off, Major Thaddeus West.  Can I call you Thad?  Yeah, I’m going to call you Thad.  Well, Thad, I found your ‘Mech.  That sure is a nice Highlander you had there.  I’m not sure if I’m reassured or more confused that your early remains weren’t there, either.  In fact, the lack of human remains anywhere around this base is confusing: I’m not sure if it’s a good sign or a bad sign.

So, yeah, fully-intact HGN-732 Highlander still set up for its human pilot.  Running when parked.  Quite the barn restoration find, right?

But, that’s not all we found.  Two of the other cubicles had what appeared to be partially-stripped-down ‘Mechs in them, though these look to have already been converted to use Syberian computer cores in place of cockpits.  One is very clearly a Stinger, the ubiquitous 20-ton scout ‘Mech that later spawned into the transforming Stinger Land-Air-Mech.  The other was its larger 45-ton cousin, the Phoenix Hawk, similarly partially disassembled, their spare parts stowed along with them.

The last ‘Mech cube appears to have just been used for random cargo.  Spare weapons, heat sinks, even a couple ‘Mech arms were stored here, but there were two crates that in particular stood out.

One wasn’t terribly large, but was labeled "K-0 Fax Machine".  That’s…well, it could prove useful.  The K-0 was an early attempt by the Star League to produce an FTL communications device, prior to the invention of the much more successful hyper-pulse generators.  Only able to send 200 kilobytes in a single message, in a signal that radiated out at 10 light-years per day, they didn’t hold a candle to those later HPGs, which were just around the corner.  They’re *small* though, not much bigger than a briefcase, so with some luck, I can have one integrated into my communications gear and, just in case someone is out there, I may be able to communicate with them.

The second box was a bit larger, and was labeled a bit differently:  "Primary Neural Net, M-4 SDS Drone".  That…had far-reaching implications.  The M-4 was a used as a test bed for drone WarShips, a predecessor to the M-5 Caspar drones built on the hulls of the 680,000-ton Lola class destroyers.  For the M-4, the Star League used the older and less capable Baron class destroyer, a 480,000 ton ship with half the acceleration and much less firepower and armor than the Lola class, as a test bed, until the ships, and their AIs, were reportedly decommissioned when testing was complete.

So, what was an M-4’s core doing here?  Was there a Baron class destroyer missing its main core somewhere here in the Syberia system?  Was this core still intact, with an AI sitting in hibernation inside?  If not, could my mind be copied into it?  For that matter, my old buddy Thad mentioned I’d arrived in Syberia in a computer core they’d found compatible with the local AI tech used on the AutoMechs.  Was that this core?

If this SDS core is intact, and we can either find the ship it was installed in, or install it in another automated ship, it could be my ticket out of the Syberia system.  It might mean copying my mind into that core, or it might mean getting an AI that’s already in there to work with me, but either way, the possibility is there.

I’m going to try not to be too optimistic here: there’s a lot of steps between where I’m at now and that possibility of leaving to consider, but I’m a step closer.  There’s more immediate concerns, though.

First, we’ve got three BattleMechs here in various states of repairs.  That Stinger and the Phoenix Hawk are both partially disassembled, but Spanner’s going to go through both and see if they could be refurbished and made operational again.  If so, that would be a way to get Manx back operational again.  There’s also the matter of the 90-ton assault ‘Mech in the room, so to speak, and whether we can convert Thad’s Highlander to an AutoMech.  All three of these ‘Mechs are more conventionally-humanoid in their layout, which means they may also be a good option for me to transfer my own computer cores into.

I know what you’re thinking: “Go for the Highlander!”  But the thing about Highlanders is that they’ve quite literally given up their right hand for a gauss rifle, and I’m right-handed.  Is it possible that my Syberian friends here can modify the ‘Mech by removing that gauss and adding a hand back in, along with some other gun?  Maybe.  In fact, that’s one of the things Spanner’s going to evaluate.

Meanwhile, the Phoenix Hawk, if it can be brought back to operational condition, might also be a perfect choice.  It’s very humanoid in form, and while it’s got some forearm-mounted guns, carries its main weapon, a large laser, like an oversized pistol.  And while it might be 15 tons lighter than my current body, it’s also a bit taller, 50% faster, can jump farther, and has nearly as much armor.  Like I said, it might be perfect, which worries me: how often do things go perfect?

Lastly, there’s the Stinger.  It’s a third the mass of my current ‘Mech body, and, at 8 meters, is even shorter and smaller than Glyph or Manx, who both have about a meter in height and 15 tons on it.  It’s as quick as the Phoenix Hawk, but only just, carries much less armor, and its weaponry is similarly light.  It is, however, truly humanoid in layout, and carries its main armament, a medium laser, like a big pistol, too.  It’s certainly not an ideal choice, but if I can mostly stay out of the fighting, I can probably make it work.

All that depends, though, on what Spanner finds when he goes over them.  So, for now, that’s a worry for tomorrow, while right now, it’s time to give my poor brain a break.
« Last Edit: 13 September 2021, 13:48:49 by Giovanni Blasini »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #118 on: 13 September 2021, 17:32:04 »
I do believe that is the FIRST comparison between a Leopard and an AN-2... HILARIOUS! :toofunny:

Also, I never realized the Highlander was missing a hand actuator.  I had always assumed it was just hidden by the perspective of the original image in 2750.  Gauss Rifles are small enough to fit without removing the hand, after all...

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #119 on: 13 September 2021, 18:17:54 »
I do believe that is the FIRST comparison between a Leopard and an AN-2... HILARIOUS! :toofunny:

Also, I never realized the Highlander was missing a hand actuator.  I had always assumed it was just hidden by the perspective of the original image in 2750.  Gauss Rifles are small enough to fit without removing the hand, after all...

The artwork in TR3050U makes it more clear, but, yeah, that appears to be the case for all of them, including the downgrades like the HGN-733P that have even more room in the arm for a hand actuator.  It's especially frustrating because there's plenty of room for one, and the IndustrialMech built off the Highlander, the St. Florian, very clearly has both hand actuators.

Register