Author Topic: Exile in Syberia  (Read 41195 times)

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
Re: Exile in Syberia
« Reply #150 on: 03 January 2022, 15:50:31 »
I think I'll just let people find those threads down in Fan Rules and let them pick one to carry on such a discussion in as that'd probably be a better place for it so we don't keep cluttering up this story thread.

Oh, shoot, you're right! Terribly rude of me to hijack this thread. Sorry, guys!

- Herb

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #151 on: 22 February 2022, 06:19:35 »
Unit Log, VeeMech TDR-1-74-01107C-J
Date 3018-08-12 22:30:47, Log Entry 12

In the end, we all agreed that getting a new body for Manx took higher priority than swapping me into another one.  To that end, Spanner has spent the last week focusing on putting the Phoenix Hawk chassis back together.  While he may find himself unable to transform, we figure Manx will at least find himself able to function in the larger BattleMech body, in a manner he’s mostly accustomed to.  Body dysmorphia may suck, but being mostly dead is worse, and hopefully, having started his life as an AutoMech, he won’t be as affected by it.  Spanner seems pretty confident that he’ll be fine, at least.

It’s also surprising how much a pair of highly motivated AutoMechs can accomplish in a week, with Spanner, assisted by Ripley, putting the Phoenix Hawk’s chassis back together, and loading the computer cores from Manx’s old chassis into the Phoenix Hawk’s head.  Once they were done, Spanner, patched into the shut-down ‘Mech, sent the command to Manx’s new body that would power him up.

I simply stared, watching as this AutoMech, who was essentially dead, came back to life in his new body.  One moment, Manx stood absolutely still, actuators locked into place, engine cold, a lifeless metal sculpture.  Then, with a brief spike of electromagnetic radiation, Manx’s reactor started, the fusion reaction warming the AutoMech to its normal operational temperature.  Seconds after that, he moved for the first time in his new body.  His head turned, taking in his surroundings, after which he focused in on Glyph, who was standing next to me.  After a few moments, he finally spoke.  “I appear to be taller.”

Glyph nodded in agreement.  “Your previous chassis was not repairable, so you’ve been transferred to a one we were able to salvage.”

Manx appeared to think about this for a moment.  “I find no indication of a transformation sequence...but I have jump jets?  And an ECM suite?”

“Yep,” I chimed in.  “The ‘Mech we salvaged was an old PXH-02 Phoenix Hawk.  That’s one of the predecessors of the Seekers and the AeroMechs, though this one predates being able to transform.  Best we could manage right now.”

“I see.  You are Groundwave?” Manx asked.  I realized that he’d never really had the opportunity to meet me before the battle where he got his ass blown up.

“That’s me,” I agreed. “Didn’t get a chance to welcome you properly earlier, but welcome to my humble little bunker.”

Despite the lack of capacity for facial expression, Manx certainly seemed confused.  “Thank you, I think.”  He paused for a moment before he finally said, “Is there any possibility of being transferred to a Beetle-class AutoMech chassis, like my original one?  Or any wheeled AutoMech?”  Sometimes it can be a bit difficult to get a read on what’s passing for thoughts and emotions in an AutoMech’s head.  This time, though, it seemed pretty clear that he wasn’t as thrilled about his new body as we’d hoped he’d be.

Well, crap.

It wasn’t like we hadn’t thought about getting him another Beetle-class chassis.  It’s that it wasn’t really an option, given how remote we were from the main AutoMech territories, whether AutoBoP or DemoCom.  You’d have to haul out a 35-ton non-operational ‘Mech that distance, while taking the same risk that Manx had taken coming out here in the first place: being detected by random DemoCom scouts, and potentially handing them a free AutoMech to bolster their side.  Moving Manx’s computer cores to AutoBoP territory would be a lot easier, but would mean moving in a force large enough to defend itself, and cutting into the excavation here.

That didn’t leave us too many options if the Phoenix Hawk chassis wasn’t going to work out.  This wasn’t exactly news.  Glyph, Spanner, Ripley and I had all discussed this, when we decided in the end to do the expedient thing and put Manx in the Phoenix Hawk.  With Primus Optimal not here, having taken the trailer he normally towed around with him, my radios were the only way for my companions to communicate with the rest of the AutoBoP faction.  Getting Manx to use them would be out of the question, according to both Spanner and Glyph, since he lacked the programming to use them, and training him to do so would be time prohibitive, if it worked at all: AutoMech artificial intelligence might show an amazing degree of flexibility in terms of ability to learn, but they still lagged behind what you’d expect a human to be able to do, and radio communications wasn’t an easy topic for us, either.

On the other hand, it’s not like I really cared about transforming into a large truck or a series of tubes.  On the other hand, I did find it useful to able to use that comm gear to communicate, whether it was with the base computers, nearby satellites, or any SDS drone that might be hiding out there in the outskirts of Syberia’s solar system, which may well end up being my only ticket out of here.

Unfortunately, the gear to do that wasn’t exactly lightweight; I might be able to trim it down some, but my full loadout of radios and other comm gear took up six tons, with my little Nighthawk drone taking up a half-ton beyond that.  The Phoenix Hawk we’d shoved Manx into, meanwhile, only had seven and a half tons of weaponry to work with, with another three tons available if I was willing to sacrifice its jump jets.  Shoving all those radios into a Phoenix Hawk would be an exercise in frustration, and would compromise the my ability to fight in the ‘Mech, since I’d be giving up some, or even most, of its firepower.

Giving up firepower wasn't something that just made me nervous.  In our most recent battle, my firepower and, even more importantly, ability to throw my weight around, ended up surprisingly important, given the trouble I had hitting the broadside of a barn.  So while giving up by ability to defend myself made me nervous, Glyph and Spanner didn't like the idea, either. 

I really wasn't liking my options.  "Glyph," I asked, "I'm guessing you have no desire to trade places with Manx?"

"I do not," she readily agreed.

"Yeah, that's what I thought," I replied.  "And Spanner is out of the question, since we need him to be able to patch us up, and his current chassis is set up for that."  Sighing, I turned back to Manx.  "That leaves the chassis I'm in right now, which had all our radios, or waiting until we can eventually get you back to friendly territory."

"I cannot manage those communications systems," Manx replied helpfully.

"Spanner," I asked, turning to our repair/medic AutoMech, "how long would it take to prep the Highlander for conversion to an AutoMech system?"

"I am uncertain.  The cockpit command and control systems are not presently configured for AutoMech computer control, and our sources of spare components would not be easily adapted.  It may be fastest to replace the entire head assembly, though those are also in short supply.  There is, however, another option we may be able to avail ourselves of, though Manx would need to remain in his current chassis a bit longer before we could implement it."

"What is that?" Glyph asked before I could.

"Most of the systems needed to repair Groundwave's original GRF-series Griffin chassis were locked away in the DropShip we have since excavated," Spanner explained.  "Transferring you to your current chassis would have been faster than rebuilding his old one.  It is possible that your current chassis was only meant for you to use temporarily, and the intent had always been to transfer you back once the old one was rebuilt."

Glyph seemed to immediately pick up on this line of thought.  Turning to me, she said, "The remaining humans at this base may have died before that could become possible, and with no other active AutoMechs on-site to reactivate you in this chassis, or to recover the parts to rebuild your old one, you remained inactive until we discovered you.  Spanner, everything you need is aboard the DropShip?  Even an engine?"

"For the most part.  I found a spare set of legs and the arm the wreck of Groundwave's former chassis is missing.  Some of the torso assemblies are missing, but can be adapted from parts salvaged from the DemoComs.  Even the communications gear would be straightforward, since it is mounted in a housing that appears to be common between Groundwave's current chassis and the GRF-series chassis he was previously installed in.  That would also free up six tons in Groundwave's current chassis that, once he is transferred over, could be used for additional weaponry."

"And what would my loadout be?" I asked. 

"Your existing communications gear, a one-ton bay that could accommodate your Nighthawk drone, and a standard particle projector cannon in the detachable rifle-type mount used by the GRF-series.  That would appear to be your original loadout as well."

That...wouldn’t be bad, really.  I know my way around a rifle, or at least I remember knowing my way around a rifle.  Griffins were also known to be solid punchers when caught in melee combat, and they sure as hell had their body parts arranged more like a human being than VeeMechs like Spanner and my current body.

There was just one problem, really: I’d built up a bit of a rapport with the small collection of AutoMechs here, but now I’d be trusting them to transfer my consciousness to an entirely new body, and if Glyph was right, and it was done in haste last time, then that might also be tied to a lot of my missing memories.  Major West’s message for me implied it was intentional, but is that intentional as in “every time you move bodies this will happen” or “we really did have a good reason to lobotomize you, and it isn’t related to you moving bodies.”

“All right, that might be a solid option.” I told Spanner.  “How long do you think it will take?” 

“I would estimate no more than two weeks.”

Wishing once again I had a head I could nod, I turned my whole body to face Manx.  “Think you can hold on in there for that long?”

“The alternative is to be shut off until then, correct?” Manx asked.

“Pretty much, yeah,” I agreed.

“That may be preferable.”

Wow.  I really hadn’t counted on how much the ability to transform meant to an AutoMech.  “Look at the bright side: when Spanner rips out all these radios, you’re going to have another six tons of weaponry and heat sinks you can throw onto your new body.  Or, if you don’t want the jump jets, you can make it nine tons.  And we’ve found a stack of weapons sitting in one of the bays in the DropShip that you can pick from – once I vacate the premises, you and Spanner will be able to remodel to your heart’s content.”

Manx nodded – Phoenix Hawks have heads and necks, so he could do that – and replied, “Are you certain you do not mind giving up the VeeMech chassis, Groundwave?  You won’t be able to transform anymore.”

I shrugged as best my body could accommodate.  “Manx, as far as I remember, I used to be human before I was an AutoMech, let alone installed in this VeeMech.  Humans can’t transform into vehicles, so it really doesn’t mean that much to me.”

Manx looked around at everyone, then back at me, then back at everyone, and finally, when nobody seemed interested in contradicting me, looked back at me, and said, “Wait, what?”
« Last Edit: 22 February 2022, 06:22:44 by Giovanni Blasini »
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #152 on: 22 February 2022, 14:24:14 »
Good to see this back!

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #153 on: 22 February 2022, 18:29:04 »
So happy this is back.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #154 on: 22 February 2022, 18:59:12 »
If I have to wait a week before I found out why they're all looking at 'him' ...  There's not even any previews!

[edit: Damn these rusty circuits! ... I see it now].
« Last Edit: 22 February 2022, 20:53:38 by Wolf72 »
"We're caught in the moon's gravitational pull, what do we do?!"

CI KS #1357; Merc KS #9798

"We're sending a squad up."

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #155 on: 22 February 2022, 19:10:01 »
  If I have to wait a week before I found out why they're all looking at 'him' ...  There's not even any previews! 

To me the last line seemed that Manx was the only one surprised at the revelation that Groundwave used to be human.  All the other AutoBoPs already knew

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #156 on: 22 February 2022, 20:16:13 »
Agreed!  And I find that hilarious!  ;D

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #157 on: 22 February 2022, 20:21:30 »
I hope he retains a transforming body.  Him being in a old Griffin body doesn't sound so much fun.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #158 on: 22 February 2022, 20:30:36 »
It sounds like more fun than being in something less antropomorphic...

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #159 on: 22 February 2022, 21:27:25 »
To me the last line seemed that Manx was the only one surprised at the revelation that Groundwave used to be human.  All the other AutoBoPs already knew
the others have been in the base dealing with him and the salvage operation. Manx was out scouting around and hadn't met him yet. and presumably Groundwave's unique status wasn't something they're about to broadcast over the radio.

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #160 on: 23 February 2022, 03:32:50 »
I hope he retains a transforming body.  Him being in a old Griffin body doesn't sound so much fun.

Honestly, I would see a classic Griffin body as an ideal place to start if one wanted to make a Bluestreak/Prowl/Jazz/Smokescreen type of wheeled AutoMech. But judging by the dialog, Groundwave is likely on track for a plain ol' non-convertible form.

- Herb

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #161 on: 23 February 2022, 05:15:25 »
I was gonna go to bed, since I conked out on the couch around 4 1/2 hours ago, and my wife just poked me to tell me to go to the real bed, but then I noticed the replies...

Exactly.  Manx was waiting on one of the AutoBoPs who'd spent more time with Groundwave to call him on that nonsense, but when none of them did, he had to basically ask "Say what now?" himself.

Honestly, I would see a classic Griffin body as an ideal place to start if one wanted to make a Bluestreak/Prowl/Jazz/Smokescreen type of wheeled AutoMech. But judging by the dialog, Groundwave is likely on track for a plain ol' non-convertible form.

- Herb

I thought about it, and I'm still open to it, but I'm having trouble slotting in an AutoMech in that size range that's different enough from the 35-ton Beetle chassis and the 60-ton Sounder/VeeMech chassis.  I'm doing the following with just a calculator, since I'm on a Chromebook, and thus lack a 'Mech construction program, but I figure that:

• At 45 tons, 5/8 movement, you have 10 tons for engine, 3 tons for cockpit, 3 tons for gyro, 4.5 tons for structure, 7 tons for bimodal conversion.  That leaves 17.5 tons for armor and weaponry.
  • At 50 tons, the breakdown ends up being 12.5 tons for engine, the same 6 tons of cockpit & gyro, 5 tons of structure, and 8 tons for bimodal conversion.  That bumps us up to 18.5 tons for armor and weapons.
  • Moving up to 55 tons isn't much benefit, either: your engine's now 15.5 tons, cockpit & gyro the same, structure's now 5.5 tons, and bimodal conversion bumps up to 9 tons.  You benefit a whole 1/2 ton, allowing for 19 tons of weaponry and armor.

By way of comparison, the Beetle-class breaks down to 11 tons of weapons and armor, the Seeker-class has 19 tons (it seems to not round its bimodal LAM conversion up to 8 tons, leaving it at 7.5 tons instead), and the Sounder class an impressive 27 tons (9 tons armor, 9 tons weaponry, 6 tons of cargo, and 3 tons electronics "stock").

I...well, I guess this ended up being a roundabout way of saying a 50-ton one would work and be within the description I gave.  A 50-ton bimodal wheeled AutoMech with a PPC, the 6 tons of electronics, and 7 tons of armor.  The original versions could have Griffin-like or Shadow Hawk-like weaponry, depending on which side they're on.

Hmm, thoughts?
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #162 on: 23 February 2022, 21:07:04 »
The Griffin and Shadow Hawk have two hands... that makes a difference when you're coming from a human idea of what "normal" feels like...

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #163 on: 23 February 2022, 21:58:05 »
The Griffin and Shadow Hawk have two hands... that makes a difference when you're coming from a human idea of what "normal" feels like...

Yep.  That's mainly an issue on the Highlander, though.  with that said, having a gun strapped to your forearm, like on a Sounder/Thunderbolt, or as you would on a Shadow Hawk, would be somewhat awkward, too.

OK, I put up a post in the BattleMechs fan design section with an example of what a 50-ton and 55-ton "Gryphon" would look like, with discussion of the "Mirage" (ie. Shadow Hawk) variants as well.  I'd welcome thoughts, though it's probably best to post them there in that thread.

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #164 on: 24 February 2022, 14:23:47 »
I...well, I guess this ended up being a roundabout way of saying a 50-ton one would work and be within the description I gave.  A 50-ton bimodal wheeled AutoMech with a PPC, the 6 tons of electronics, and 7 tons of armor.  The original versions could have Griffin-like or Shadow Hawk-like weaponry, depending on which side they're on.

Hmm, thoughts?

Sounds to me like you don't need my convincing. But, given the confines of your story, remodeling a stock Griffin to a convertible body seems a shade beyond their rather limited capabilities at this stage. I doubt transplanted Groundwave or the other AutoMechs there would really want to bother with that.

- Herb

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #165 on: 24 February 2022, 17:04:31 »
yeah can't see groundwave adapting to being a bimodal anything. but they could probably adapt the normal griffin chassis to fit the skillset he's developed so far.
« Last Edit: 24 February 2022, 17:13:51 by glitterboy2098 »

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #166 on: 24 February 2022, 18:17:18 »
Sounds to me like you don't need my convincing. But, given the confines of your story, remodeling a stock Griffin to a convertible body seems a shade beyond their rather limited capabilities at this stage. I doubt transplanted Groundwave or the other AutoMechs there would really want to bother with that.

- Herb

I went back and took a look at what I originally wrote, and found that while I described it as an "early model Griffin" with only the right arm intact, I also labeled the 'Mech “VeeMech GRF-1-74-0107C-J ‘Groundwave'”.  So, looks like I was intent on baking in enough room to make it a transforming Griffin in the first place.  Which is good.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #167 on: 24 February 2022, 20:09:30 »
If the Shadow Hawk and Champion have LAM modes, i don't see why you can't have a transforming Griffin?

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #168 on: 24 February 2022, 20:27:32 »
I went back and took a look at what I originally wrote, and found that while I described it as an "early model Griffin" with only the right arm intact, I also labeled the 'Mech “VeeMech GRF-1-74-0107C-J ‘Groundwave'”.  So, looks like I was intent on baking in enough room to make it a transforming Griffin in the first place.  Which is good.

Oh, nice!

If the Shadow Hawk and Champion have LAM modes, i don't see why you can't have a transforming Griffin?

Yeah, but in-universe, the Champion never worked, and the Shadow Hawk was more a proof-of-concept that led to the LAMs we came to know and "love." I was just interpreting from this latest chapter that the Griffin hull they're talking about was a plain old non-transforming type. Making an existing chassis into a transforming version is more like building a whole new design than any other type of variant modifications.

- Herb

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #169 on: 24 February 2022, 20:44:14 »
I just used them as examples of other known mechs that had a transforming option in-universe.  Maybe in some timeline, they actually worked.  :)

And I do have a soft spot for Wheeljack, being my first transformer.  Maybe I'll see about doing a kitbash of one

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #170 on: 24 February 2022, 21:32:09 »
I just used them as examples of other known mechs that had a transforming option in-universe.  Maybe in some timeline, they actually worked.  :)

And I do have a soft spot for Wheeljack, being my first transformer.  Maybe I'll see about doing a kitbash of one

Let me know! I love your Transformers kitbashes!

- Herb

vianca

• Sergeant
« Reply #171 on: 25 February 2022, 19:39:42 »
I would say that Quadvee or Vee mechs, weighting more then 55 tons, should be possible.
Remember, it's the LAM that has that restriction.
I can see it taking jumpjets to get on their feets or back to their wheels, fast, though.
Ever seen the anime: Eureka-7?
Because their combat crafts their transforming way is as simple as that of the Shadow Hawk.
And if done right, a trailer should be possible as well, plus various loadouts.

You know what is funny?
The Autobot Arc actually shares it's shape with a Leopard.
Can we say, Teletran-One???
Might I suggest adding Soundwave(?) it's gear to the Leopard?
It's that or creating a drone trailer for Groundwave.
And if the trailer can power itself and even has drive wheels...
Well, then it won't cost Groundwave anything in that regards.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #172 on: 25 February 2022, 20:06:39 »
https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Ark_(G1)

not seeing "Leopard". i am seeing an Arcadia though.. of course the scale is way bigger.
https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Arcadia_(DropShip_class)
« Last Edit: 25 February 2022, 20:36:06 by glitterboy2098 »

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #173 on: 25 February 2022, 20:16:09 »

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #174 on: 25 February 2022, 20:35:45 »
fixed.. apparently if you don;t use the url tags the forum doesn't like links with a ) on the end.

images for comparison.. the Ark

Arcadia DS
« Last Edit: 25 February 2022, 20:38:17 by glitterboy2098 »

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #175 on: 25 February 2022, 23:37:52 »
Nothing a dremel and a good file set can't work on. Plus slight design drift.

Grognard

• Lieutenant
  • BTU.org & LotB.com Member
« Reply #176 on: 26 February 2022, 00:19:07 »
great story.
Really happy I found it.

GROGNARD:  An old, grumpy soldier, a long term campaigner (Fr); Someone who enjoys playing tactics and strategy based board wargames;  a game fan who will buy every game released in a certain genre of computer game (RTS, or computer role-playing game, etc.)

Nikas_Zekeval

• Captain
« Reply #177 on: 26 February 2022, 11:55:34 »
fixed.. apparently if you don;t use the url tags the forum doesn't like links with a ) on the end.

images for comparison.. the Ark

Arcadia DS

"Aw man!  That ship wasn't built; it was poured!"

"Die-cast construction... it's a lost art."

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #178 on: 26 February 2022, 12:09:27 »
They weren't called Dia-clones for nothin!   Ok, that was a poor attempt at a die-cast joke, I'll see myself out.

"Aw man!  That ship wasn't built; it was poured!"

"Die-cast construction... it's a lost art."

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #179 on: 26 February 2022, 13:39:50 »
So if the Word of Blake got ahold of some Syberian veemechs and used them with Manei Domini pilots.. would that make them Go-Bots?
« Last Edit: 26 February 2022, 13:44:41 by glitterboy2098 »