Author Topic: Exile in Syberia  (Read 41156 times)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Re: Exile in Syberia
« Reply #210 on: 23 March 2022, 14:34:37 »
I'm still curious what the fate lies in ahead for Groundwave once they get out of the Hinderlands of Syberia.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

vianca

• Sergeant
« Reply #211 on: 26 March 2022, 04:01:56 »
The more I read and the more I think a Argo & Snowden would fit in perfectly into the local setting.
A Argo might give some trouble, though, since only two where ever made.
But automated Snowdens should be possible.
Add to this the M11 Newgranges...

Say, what about those bots they scrapped a while back, couldn't they recover parts from them?
I did not notice anything being said in that regards.

Do Quadvees exist in this setting?
It are basically ground bounded LAM's, with a tank look.
And while I am asking, how many primitive mechs have been converted to Automechs?
I wonder a bit here.
Fun one would if he can stear them into developing some of the technology from Manei Domini & The Society.
Then there is the potential of local improvements into transforming gear, since it's their live & blood, here.
I can see the Scorpion LAM having been reworked into something more along the lines of a Quadvee, you know.
Same for the Champion LAM, it would remove it's biggest flaw.

https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Scorpion_LAM
https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Champion_LAM
https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Category:QuadVees
https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Land_Air_%27Mech

I would laugh if his future automech body is a Screamer, constructed from recovered blueprints.
I think most of the design flaws, where actually sabotage related and that Kerensky recieved the not sabotaged blueprints.
Would explain why shifting gear caused a crash, you know.
https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Screamer
I'm still curious what the fate lies in ahead for Groundwave once they get out of the Hinderlands of Syberia.
Rather how they will leave their current lication.
It can be on wheels or by air.
Would laugh if this place had a underground automated (mech) factory.

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #212 on: 26 March 2022, 09:41:39 »
Quad Vees? I believe so.

the California Nebula rules give us for: Tracks, Wheels, Rotors, Hover, floats/naval/sub, buildings, extra legs, tails.

it's still available for free download from CGL store ... drivethrurpg too, I believe.
"We're caught in the moon's gravitational pull, what do we do?!"

CI KS #1357; Merc KS #9798

"We're sending a squad up."

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #213 on: 20 February 2023, 06:59:26 »
Unit Log, Current Unit Designation WheelMech GRF-1-74-0107C-J
Date 3018-08-31 17:22:41, Log Entry 16

It’s funny that, as I got more comfortable in this “what’s old is new again” body of mine, Manx got more and more uncomfortable about his whole situation.  Yesterday, I found him staring at his old chassis again.  The lack of facial expressions on his temporary Phoenix Hawk body made it a little harder to tell what was going on, but his body language seemed a bit clearer, with the way he stood, his shoulders set, just radiating stress.

I walked up alongside of him.  “So…what’s up?”

Manx turned towards me slightly.  “I am considering how I might continue to engage in my primary function in the antiquated chassis that you previously were in.”

Huh.  Thought we were past this with him.  “OK, let’s start with the obvious question: what is your primary function?”

“I am programmed to be a ReconMech,” Manx replied.

“And my old chassis is too big?  Too slow?”  Obvious thoughts, I know, given my old body was more than twice as massive and two-thirds the speed.

“Both, actually.”

“Okay,” I mused.  “I can see that would be a bit of an issue.  I take it changing your primary function by retraining isn’t so straightforward, Manx?”

“No.  I am a ReconMech,” he agreed.

“Why?” I asked.  “I mean, Manx, we’re here in the base with a ReconMech who isn’t just a ReconMech, right?  I mean, yes, Glyph is a ReconMech, but she’s also an Analyst, she said, studying not just what other AutoMech groups on Syberia are doing, but where you all came from, right?  Scout, intel analyst, historian, even trainer, right?”

“True.  In time, I may be able to do the same.  But my primary role will remain ReconMech, just like Glyph’s primary role is Analyst.”

“And, of course, meanwhile you’re in a body that’s actually well-suited to the role because, after all, that was one of the Phoenix Hawk’s primary jobs, but you feel stifled because you can’t transform into an alternate mode, specifically one with wheels, because you’re programmed for ground movement, right?  Not flight?”

“Also correct.  You see my dilemma.”

“OK, here’s the other thing, though.  How far are we from someplace you could, in theory, get a new body of the same type as your old?

“Our capital is approximately 4500 kilometers away.  There are smaller facilities closer, however.” Manx noted warily.

“OK, and I’m guessing we’re closer to the Autonomous Barony’s territory than we are to the Democratic Conglomerate’s, right?”

“Yes,” Manx agreed readily.  “We’re significantly closer.  I was surprised to see a penetration raid by the DemoComs this far past their general boundaries into our territory.”

“And they used a Sounder to do it, I might point out.  And my old chassis is its progenitor…or, at least, the missing link between the old Thunderbolt and the Sounder.  You could still do recon in that chassis.  But, you’ve got options available, Manx.”

“What would they be?” he asked.

“The first would be to go either to one of the smaller facilities,” I noted.  “Or, worst-case scenario, spend the 71 hours or so it would take to walk back to your capital, then get yourself put back in a body more like you’re used to, assuming one’s available.”

Manx shrugged.  “A difficult journey, but a feasible one.”

“Right,” I agreed.  “Or, alternatively, you can let Spanner finish customizing my old proto-Sounder chassis out for you, use that, and stick to your old role, just as heavy recon instead of light recon.  What were you and Spanner settling on for the modifications you could make here?”

“Removal of jump jets, replacing the small lasers with three medium lasers, addition of a recon camera, and addition of four single heat sinks,” Manx rattled off.  “Additional communications equipment would be retained, as removal would require more significant overhaul of the chassis.  Shifting of core computing components to external head unit also possible thanks to salvage from DemoCom Sounder.”

“You’re kidding me,” I said flatly.  “You’re going to have a head.  On top of the center of your torso.  In a humanoid layout.”

“Well, yes.  Spanner said he had time to integrate it.  He also noted it would facilitate future efforts to remove the additional communications gear at a future date.”

“Okay,” I replied.  “So you’re a bit slower, but you also have the option to carry a mini-drone or two to extend out your scouting ability.  You’ve got communications gear you can use to monitor remote sensors.  You’ll have a recon camera you can use to get a better look at things.  And while you’re slower, you’re going to be tougher in a fight than you’d otherwise have been, even if you’ll need to watch your heat a bit closer.  That’s a viable enough loadout that you might be able to continue to function as a ReconMech, Manx, and it opens up new doors on how to accomplish that role.  You may find you work best not just as a ReconMech, but coordinating the activities of other, smaller ReconMechs as their commander.  If not, you can always see about swapping out for a different body back at the capitol.”

Manx sighed.  “You have a point.  May I confess something?”

“Sure, go ahead,” I replied, not sure where he was going.

“Once Spanner confirmed he could mount a head onto it in a manner much like a human, I had briefly considered asking if you would be willing to return to the Sounder prototype chassis, and allow me to have your current chassis instead, before I eliminated that as a possibility.”

“OK, not disagreeing with your choice to drop the idea, Manx,” I said, “but what made you decide to drop it?”

“You appear to be far too well-adapted to your Streaker prototype chassis for me to ask you to uproot yourself again.  And if the idea of being in a 55-ton, more durable AutoMech chassis was appealing, then being in a 60-ton, better-defended one is even more appealing.  Plus, you appear to have knee actuator problems.”

I couldn’t help but laugh.  “I’ve always had knee actuator problems, even when I was still human.  That’s nothing new for me.  Too much cumulative damage over the years.”

“That sounds actively terrible, and makes me glad I was never human,” Manx replied.

“Oh, it wasn’t all bad,” I said defensively.  “And look at it this way: I may be in a far more durable body, and obviously the computer cores holding my mind can be moved from chassis to chassis as one wears out…but, unless I invent time travel, I’m also never going to see my family or my friends ever again, given everybody I’ve ever known has been dead for centuries at this point.  No matter what I do here on Syberia, Manx, that’s one part of my purpose I’ll never be able to fulfill again.  By way of comparison, customizing out your new BattleMech body isn’t so bad, is it?”

“I had not considered that,” Manx said apologetically.  “Given the circumstances, you seem remarkably stable.”

“What’s the use in falling apart?” I noted.  What I did not say, however, was that time travel was exactly what I hoped to accomplish.  Or travelling between alternate realities.  Or whatever else I’d need to do in order to get back to my home reality.  I couldn’t do that here on Syberia, though.  The only place I knew of in the California Nebula that gave me a chance at all of doing so was the world of Toreel, if I could figure out how their “magic” worked.

That, however, would mean leaving Syberia.  Which would preferably mean finding some form of working JumpShip.  Which, in turn, ran the risk of running into the “Star Empire”, them figuring out FTL tech, a way out of the California Nebula, and a brand-new Clan-style invasion of the Inner Sphere.  Let’s, like, not let them do that.

So, like Manx, I had a choice to make: do I abandon my purpose of trying to find my family, and try to find a life for myself here?  Do I risk unleashing the Kraken by trying to find a working JumpDrive and risk stumbling into the Star Empire?  Do I slow-boat my way to Toreel at sublight speeds, taking decades or longer to get there, in the hopes that whatever “magic” they’re capable of can help me offset this enormous gulf of time, space, and whatever else separating me from my old life?

I don’t know.  The only thing I do know is that I don’t know enough right now to make a decision.  At some point, I’m going to have to secure my little hidey-hole here as best I can and see the rest of the planet.  And the idea of doing that, and risking getting blown up, scares the hell out of me.

Breaking myself out of my internal introspection/panic, I turned more towards Manx, clapping him on the shoulder.  “C’mon,” I said, “Let’s go talk to Spanner, see how much longer his refit’s going to take, so you at least have the information you need to make an informed decision.”

One problem at a time.  Solve that, move on to the next problem.  What else could I do?
« Last Edit: 20 February 2023, 07:03:38 by Giovanni Blasini »
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #214 on: 20 February 2023, 07:27:33 »
Glad to see an update!  :thumbsup:

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #215 on: 20 February 2023, 18:08:34 »
I've so across the moon. I missed hell out of this fan story.  I am curious to see how much TRO Syberia going be in this.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #216 on: 20 February 2023, 18:58:01 »
I've so across the moon. I missed hell out of this fan story.  I am curious to see how much TRO Syberia going be in this.

Already started incorporating it.  Trying not to do any outright retcons, though, which is making things interesting.

For example, you'll note that Groundwave didn't have a head.  Sounder class AutoMechs, though they're based on the Thunderbolt chassis, do have separate heads, as the art for "Wave Sounder" shows.

Which brings us to our second item: Spanner was described as being a VeeMech, as well as being Thunderbolt based.  IN the TRO Syberia material, though, VeeMechs are Wolverine-based.  There will be an explanation at some point.

Third, notice I know where the THAF firebase is in relation to the Barony's capitol - maps are a huge help.

Oh, and part of the previous entry, besides being inspired by some of the stuff going on with the Bing Chat AI, was also inspired by my discover of the existence of a caste system amongst Transformers, as well as Functionalism.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #217 on: 20 February 2023, 19:08:23 »
Well, Thunderbolts have "heads"... Just because it's a protected part of the torso doesn't make it less of a "head" in the BT sense...  ^-^

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #218 on: 20 February 2023, 20:54:00 »
Already started incorporating it.  Trying not to do any outright retcons, though, which is making things interesting.

For example, you'll note that Groundwave didn't have a head.  Sounder class AutoMechs, though they're based on the Thunderbolt chassis, do have separate heads, as the art for "Wave Sounder" shows.

Which brings us to our second item: Spanner was described as being a VeeMech, as well as being Thunderbolt based.  IN the TRO Syberia material, though, VeeMechs are Wolverine-based.  There will be an explanation at some point.

Third, notice I know where the THAF firebase is in relation to the Barony's capitol - maps are a huge help.

Oh, and part of the previous entry, besides being inspired by some of the stuff going on with the Bing Chat AI, was also inspired by my discover of the existence of a caste system amongst Transformers, as well as Functionalism.

You have lots of wiggle room on the class names in TRO:Syberia, GB. Most of the class names given were bestowed by the IE teams in the 3090s. And they actively noted that they inadvertently "oversimplified" in the first accounts, by lumping a lot of VeeMechs together that weren't in the same chassis class--but there is suspicion that a lot of these "related" chassis types hailed from common roots someplace. 

And Functionalism is basically exactly what Syberian AutoMechs are bound to; they are not 100% sapient, even though they can sure fake it well. The main drawback of this is that they cannot innovate, and "learn" only by the addition of pre-programmed modules copied from the days of their human masters. Only humans can truly "reformat" themselves at will and make things that are new and different. That's why the AIs worship humans, and are loathe to kill any human not formally aligned with their enemies.

(Hmmm. Every once in a while, I get an inkling to show a pre-holocaust Syberia in some fanfic of my own, just to see what it might look like, but not sure it makes for good story.)

- Herb

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #219 on: 20 February 2023, 20:57:05 »
It would be a bit depressing, yes...  :-\

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #220 on: 20 February 2023, 20:57:31 »
Also depends on which Thunderbolt version.  Some do have discrete heads

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #221 on: 20 February 2023, 21:58:34 »
It would be a bit depressing, yes...  :-\
I have to agree with that.  I would be Terminator + Transformers.  There inkerings of it when you read the entries for Minibots/MiniMechs/AutoSuits.

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #222 on: 21 February 2023, 00:18:56 »
I have to agree with that.  I would be Terminator + Transformers.  There inkerings of it when you read the entries for Minibots/MiniMechs/AutoSuits.

It really is. The human extermination was basically a Terminator scenario, only in this case, SkyNet didn't just wake up and decide to kill everyone. The tragedy of Syberia is that the humans almost certainly ORDERED their machines to wipe out their foes, and--despite knowing that the humans were their creators and masters--the AutoMechs did as they were told.

And they did it all too well.

- Herb

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #223 on: 21 February 2023, 06:02:20 »
Unit Log, Current Unit Designation WheelMech GRF-1-74-0107C-J
Date 3018-08-26 23:44:11, Log Entry 17

Sometimes I just don’t know when to leave well enough alone.

Manx and I did indeed have that conversation with Spanner and, yes, indeed, he’d pretty much remodeled my old body successfully.  At first glance, it didn’t look that different.  Well, except now it had a real head.  Short legs?  Gorilla arms?  Yeah, that hadn’t changed.  I think, even with the changes, I was happier in my current body.  Given I’d previously gotten it shot to pieces, hopefully I’d be able to hang on to it better this time.

While Manx and Spanner worked out the details of Manx’s upcoming transfer, I decided to try something stupid, and look more into the strange computer core labeled as an M-4 drone computer core.  I’d been putting it off for more immediate concerns, but finding out about that core, and whether there was another AI in there, would tell me if I even had a way out of the Syberia system.

So, I looked at the various connectors, figuring out which ones went for power, which ones went to a data bus, using what I’d learned of Star League and Terran Hegemony computer architecture during my perusal of the base’s computers.  Like so many other Terran systems, it was remarkably standardized, and I soon had a way to run power to it on one hand and connect another computer to it on the other.  The only remaining decision was whether I wanted to use the base’s computers as an intermediary, or my own.

Since I didn’t want it taking over the base, I decided, at first, to split the difference, kludging together a portable computer from some of the spare computer cores squirreled away in the base and the DropShip’s cargo hold.  An interface would be a problem, since I didn’t exactly have a giant keyboard I could carry around, which left me the options of either a hardwire connection between my own ‘Mech chassis’ computer core, or sticking with the standard wireless interface protocol I used to transfer data with other AutoMechs and the base computers.  On one hand, wireless seemed a lot less risky than giving a strange computer a hardwire into my head, especially given all the firewalls between my wireless gear and my own brain.

On the other hand, wireless means there’s no physical wire to cut if something goes wrong.  That’s worth considering too.

So, once again, best option available at the time, right?  I went to Glyph and explained the situation.  To say she wasn’t thrilled was an understatement.  She just stared at me for what seemed like forever before finally saying, “This is a stupid idea, and I expect it to backfire terribly.  What exactly is it that you expect me to do if things go wrong?”

“Pull the power cable to the core, or the portable computer.  That’ll cut the link between me and the core.”  That was, in the end, the best idea I could come up with.

“And how do I know if things go wrong?”

Yeah, that I wasn’t sure of.  It didn’t exactly endear her to the situation.  “This is even more stupid than I thought.  You should have Spanner monitor you.”

I shook my head.  “No, he’s got his hands full with Manx right now, and he’s not going to know any better than you will if something’s wrong without connecting in himself, and that’s the last thing he should be doing.  I don’t even want to tempt him with the possibility.”

“Why?” Glyph asked, confused.

“Because it might take him over entirely,” I admitted.

“But not you?”

I shrugged.  “Hopefully not.  I’ll be behind seven proxies.”

The next morning, after setting everything up, I set down my PPC, hooked up all the cables, and then sat down as best I could in front of my makeshift cyberdeck.  Glyph stood by, ready to pull the cables in the event everything went to hell in a handbasket.  Well, assuming we knew what that would look like.

“Ready?” I asked her.

“I don’t know,” Glyph replied honestly.

“Good enough,” I said, making the last power connection for the detached computer core that purportedly belonged to an AI-driven WarShip.  I pinged my “cyberdeck” to make the final connection to the core, and waited to see what happened.

And, other than an automated response, nothing happened.  OK, next step, try opening just a straight terminal connection.  That, at least, got me somewhere, including a set of instructions and options to check the status of the core.

I chose to look at storage, only to find that the core was nearly empty.  Not entirely, but almost.  No artificial intelligence lurking around in there to talk to.

“It’s empty.  Well, not empty.  Almost empty,” I said quietly.  “Looks like there’s some data in there, but not an AI.  Maybe some random memories, but that’s it.”

Glyph nodded, her shoulders relaxing.  “What’s next?”

“I take a closer look,” I replied.

I opened up the full sync option to be able to connect directly to the data in question, and all hell broke loose.

It was dark, and I was on a bicycle, wearing combat boots and an orange flight suit.  Ahead of me I could see…

(”Nope.”)

…my mother riding her bike, as we turned and started to head down…

(”NOPE.”)[/b]

…hill, underneath the freeway overpass.  We were building up too much speed, though, to make the turn at the bottom of the hill…

“And we’re done.” I announced loudly, disconnecting my session, pulling the plug on the power myself, and stepping back from the M-4 core like it was radioactive.  “But, at least I know who the core belonged to.”

“Who?”  Glyph asked curiously.

“Me.”

No doubt about it.  That was one of my memories, sitting in the primary personality core of what’s purportedly a drone WarShip.  Well, I guess that explains what our long-dead Major meant when he said a compatible AI core.

I knew then I’d have to go back into that core and look through the other memories.  I still know it.

Just…not today.  Even knowing that they were able to put my mother’s elbow back together again, and my own broken shoulder wasn’t as bad, I wasn’t ready to dive through another memory like that right away.  There’s only so much emotional baggage you want to unpack at one time.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #224 on: 21 February 2023, 18:27:34 »
Not a lot of commentary yet on the most recent chapter, on-board or off.  Some likes from SV and SB, questions about the setting, but beyond that, the only commentary on the story itself was "does it get any better? Or is just trauma after trauma?"

So...little too heavy on the trauma side?  I mean, I figured the scenario wasn't a sunshine and roses one, anyway, but... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #225 on: 21 February 2023, 18:29:43 »
Nope indeed!  8)

I think you're doing fine... if you really wany my feedback, you have to wait until I get home from work...  ::)

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #226 on: 21 February 2023, 18:33:40 »
Oh I am rather enjoying it Gio.

But I may be biased.  I do tend to have a habit of not being very nice to my characters in my own stories.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #227 on: 21 February 2023, 19:01:03 »
Well writers do need to get all the pieces into place before the next step.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #228 on: 21 February 2023, 21:19:14 »
So Groundwave found his old electronic home.  Does that mean Groundwave can be plugged into a factory to help its production, or even to come up with new ideas?  The AutoMechs might not be programmed for creativity, but Groundwave as a former human might have some of that.

The fun thought is Groundwave forming a third faction between the AutoBop and Democon factions.  Or even more shocking, Groundwave might have the creativity to stop this war entirely.  As a doctor said, both sides will eventually have to sit down and talk.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #229 on: 21 February 2023, 21:40:47 »
Personally, i like how he trying figure out things.  I do tend to lean towards more adventure & action myself. 

The world of AutoMechs and Syberia has wealth of places to explore (along with the Nebula itself.)  With TRO: Syberia you can perhaps get the Leopard operational in some form go to Junkion's use their expertise to fix him up further.  Visit the mobile structures "cities" of Barony or the grizzly ruins of Kara of the DecCom.  He could find out the truth that Barony started the war vs "evil" corps.   

I do hope bit more lively soon.