Author Topic: Dead Man's Hand: Second Star To The Right  (Read 8522 times)

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
Re: Dead Man's Hand: Second Star To The Right
« Reply #60 on: 19 February 2021, 04:50:04 »
I like how they do not meet.

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #61 on: 19 February 2021, 07:33:53 »
Bleddy good shot old girl.  :)
"But I missed."
-Khan Natasha Kerensky
"That's the thing about invading the Capellan Confederation: half a decade later, you want to invade it again"
-Attributed to First-Prince Hanse Davion, 3030

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #62 on: 19 February 2021, 09:48:24 »
Hopefully Joker can make peace with her before she gone. Refusal War coming up mighty soon.  Unless there change in canon, it will mean exit, stage left for Natasha or Jump Jet to face.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #63 on: 19 February 2021, 10:07:00 »
Bleddy good shot old girl.  :)

actually kinda nice, Natasha decided to let her 'embarrassing incident' go free to pop a fanatic's skull instead.

I think she just doesn´t want to miss out on the chance to kill whoever takes exception to her having a freebirth daughter.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
Dead Man's Hand: Second Star To The Right
« Reply #64 on: 20 February 2021, 04:09:28 »
75 kilometres north of Bolsun
Nox
Clan Wolf Occupation Zone
12 September 3054

Joker drove through the night and into the next day, only stopping for fuel and to give the two by now very sleepy children a chance to use a restroom. The local radio station, having long been taken over by the collaborative civilian government, told of a raid that destroyed a group of dangerous insurgents who had been planning an attack on the Metals of the Earth factory, with the intention of slowing production by killing as many of the workers as possible.

She hadn't gotten to know Jokinen well enough to tell if it was the truth, pure propaganda, or a mixture of the two, but at least there was no mention of a blond woman driving a stolen car with two small children.

Late afternoon saw them making their way up a windy, narrow road into the forest covered hills, until they came to the secluded valley where the Ante-Up had been hidden. Not that it was easy to hide something as big as a Union-C class DropShip, but a combination of a small lake, an obscene about of camouflage netting and the high metallic content of the hills made it just another magnetic anomaly amongst a sea of others. Unless you were actively looking for something out of place, it was reasonably well hidden.

"You're cutting it damn fine, Boss." Kelso observed as Joker brought the car to a stop at the shore of the lake, "Time, tide and skittish JumpShip captains wait for no one."

"What can I say?" Joker shrugged as she carefully woke the children, "I was invited to a surprise party."

"Are we there, Wendy?" Kristina asked with a yawn.

"Wendy?" Kelso asked, eyebrow raised.

"Not even close." Joker smirked, then turned back to the children, "Yes, we're at the ship. Time to go for a ride."

Garrison Post
Bolsun, Nox
Clan Wolf Occupation Zone
12 September 3054

"I want the CAP redirected immediately." Charles Dinour ordered, even as he saw his Khan enter the room out of the corner of his eye, "Tell them to either force the DropShip to land at the spaceport, or shoot it down."

"Belay that order." Natasha Kerensky countered, "The ship is to be allowed to leave unchallenged."

"My Khan?" the Star Colonel looked at her, confused, "They are Inner Sphere mercenaries..."

"Yes, I know exactly who and what they are, and that is why we are letting them go." she explained, "I have encountered them before, on Tamar, so I know how they think. Interrogation of the surviving rebels indicates that they were sent to restive two children, left behind when their mother was killed during our invasion. They took no part in the fighting, and indeed, seemed to be at odds with the rebel leadership."

"Yet still, they are mercenaries..."

"I was once a mercenary too, but that does not cloud my judgement on this. Have you read the Watch file on them?"

"Neg, not fully."

"Well, if you had, you would see that these particular mercenaries have spent the last two years raiding Jade Falcon territory. They never do much material damage, but they do have a nack for embarrassing the Falcons. Indeed, in their last raid, on Malibu, earlier this year, they cost the Falcons a Ristar Star Colonel, two Abtakha, one of whom had risen to the rank of Star Captain, and a promising young MechWarror. All taken Bondsmen, not killed, in a Trial of Possession that even Elias Crichell was forced to admit was fair... if unconventional."

"And anyone who can embarrass and distract the Falcons..."

"...is not necessarily an ally, but at the same time, not necessarily our enemy." Natasha Kerensky nodded with a smile, "They are a useful distraction; a cats-paw, if you will, so we will leave them be, for now."

"Aff, my Khan." Charles Dinour bowed his head, then turned to the confused communications tech, "Order the CAP to stand-down: let the mercenaries go. What are two less snivelling, Freebirth children, after all?"

"Aff." his Khan turned away to leave, "What are such things to us?"

The End
« Last Edit: 20 February 2021, 13:44:01 by JA Baker »
"That's the thing about invading the Capellan Confederation: half a decade later, you want to invade it again"

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #65 on: 20 February 2021, 04:16:53 »
Firm applause. 

outstanding.
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #66 on: 20 February 2021, 08:03:54 »
Nicely done! :clap:

But I must say, you have a knack for amazingly apropos typos: "They are a useful destruction..."  ;D

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #67 on: 20 February 2021, 08:15:56 »
Great one!!!

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
« Reply #68 on: 20 February 2021, 08:27:13 »
Nicely done, but TypoVision struck again!

"...is not necessarily an alley" should be "...is not necessarily an ally"
M. T. Thompson
Don of the Starslayer Mafia
Member of the AFFS High Command

PsihoKekec

• Captain
  • Your spleen, give it to me!
« Reply #69 on: 20 February 2021, 12:30:00 »
There auto-correct misses throughout the story, one needs to take it in stride so they don't distract from the excellent story.
Shoot first, laugh later.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #70 on: 20 February 2021, 14:36:24 »
Auto-correct is the devil BECAUSE it changes straight typos to things close enough a human can miss...  ::)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #71 on: 20 February 2021, 22:42:42 »
Very nice.  I hope there more.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #72 on: 21 February 2021, 06:15:26 »
Auto-correct is the devil BECAUSE it changes straight typos to things close enough a human can miss...  ::)
Already working on the next story, and caught a line where Joker talks about being a "national red-head".

Very tempted to leave it in...

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #73 on: 21 February 2021, 08:36:42 »
If you consider the forum as a nation, it could certainly qualify as a true statement.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #74 on: 21 February 2021, 09:19:58 »
Joker NATION, represent!  :D