Author Topic: Slavery in the Magistracy?  (Read 3724 times)

ArcaneRaven

• Lieutenant
Slavery in the Magistracy?
« on: 11 February 2011, 08:03:57 »
Dear writers and developers,

just recently a discussion about wether there exists slavery in the Magistracy of Canopus or not has emerged. I kindly appeal for clarification in this issue. Proponents of this assumption cite the "typical salary and price guide table" on page 190 of HB:MPS, where slaves are mentioned not just in the Marian Hegemony but in the Magistracy of Canopus as well. They further argue that rules in the annex surpass fluff mentioned in the sections beforehand. Me and other objectors to this assumption refer to said fluff section of the Magistracy, where slavery is nowhere to be found. Additionally, all mentions of civil rights implicit that slavery would not be tolerated under Canopian law. And last but not least would practicing slavery be opposed to everything that was puplished earlier on said faction. Please help us to understand that contradiction.

Thank you very much for your time and effort!

- PrudentPanda

Chris Hartford

• Freelance Writer
  • Corporal
Re: Slavery in the Magistracy?
« Reply #1 on: 11 February 2011, 15:47:25 »
Dear writers and developers,

just recently a discussion about wether there exists slavery in the Magistracy of Canopus or not has emerged. I kindly appeal for clarification in this issue. Proponents of this assumption cite the "typical salary and price guide table" on page 190 of HB:MPS, where slaves are mentioned not just in the Marian Hegemony but in the Magistracy of Canopus as well. They further argue that rules in the annex surpass fluff mentioned in the sections beforehand. Me and other objectors to this assumption refer to said fluff section of the Magistracy, where slavery is nowhere to be found. Additionally, all mentions of civil rights implicit that slavery would not be tolerated under Canopian law. And last but not least would practicing slavery be opposed to everything that was puplished earlier on said faction. Please help us to understand that contradiction.

I didn't write HB:MPS but I have dabbled with the Canopians at times so have some thoughts:

I suspect you're seeing a side-effect of the association with House Liao (where slavery is quite definitely legal), a judicial accord between the two states that has allowed slavery to be tolerated to a degree (it's listed as Uncommon and Controlled - possibly illegal on some worlds) while not condoned; it'd be hard for the Liao allies to work with Canopus if their retinues kept being emancipated each time they visit.

It could also be that these are non-citizen residents of the Magistracy locked in some sort of indentured servitude and lacking some of the rights associated with citizenship (which requires a level of service to the state), who are in effect (though possibly not legally) slaves.
Chris Hartford

ArcaneRaven

• Lieutenant
Re: Slavery in the Magistracy?
« Reply #2 on: 13 February 2011, 10:04:41 »
Thank you very much for your answer, Chris.

Maybe it's a kind of temporary servitude due to debts which can not be paid anymore.

Register