Author Topic: The Lyre Ascendant: A Dark Age AU Writeup  (Read 464 times)

PlEGUY

• Recruit
The Lyre Ascendant: A Dark Age AU Writeup
« on: 29 April 2024, 00:08:51 »
The Lyre Ascendant: Rise of the SteinPakt

Though devasted by Blakists during the Jihad and covertly hamstrung by Republicans in its aftermath, the Lyran Commonwealth saw a radical resurgence during the post Jihad detente. Economically unrivaled and purged of the corruption of leadership which plagued its past and surrounded by weak neighbors the Commonwealth stood to become the great power of its time. Then came the Blackout. A political, military, and economic disaster for all, the Commonwealth includes.

Yet that same blackout stood as a source of great opportunity for some. In the early stages of her reign Melissa Stiener made bold moves that gave the appearance that she saw such opportunities. Was she the great man of her day? Her time's Alexander of Macedon, Boris Johnson, or Hanse Davion? Alas, but as events unfolded, she turned out to be naught but a fool merely playing at statecraft. By her actions her nation, the Lyran Commonwealth, so recently potent, was left in ruins.

But what if it was elsewise? What if Melissa was the Machiavellian schemer she at first appeared? What if her plans prospered and, through them, her nation was exalted? What if the Lyre was ascendant?

A Brief History of the Lyran Commonwealth:
(Included 'cause I kinda wanna convert all this to a fan sourcebook which I plan to throw at friends who aren't really familiar with the setting for some game's we'll play later down the line. Skip the blue if you're familiar.)

Man was born to his cradle on Terra. He was cunning and as he spread across his first dominion, he would light the torch of civilization and with-it caste the light of progress and growth across his realm. Yet man was also greatly flawed with a bent for folly. He would just as often use his torch to burn and scorch his fellow man. Yet eventually with his fire he would discover another. That which fed the stars themselves. With it, he would cast himself from his nursery into the void beyond. It was not long before, freed from his terrestrial bonds, he would gaze into this new fire and discover the key to the stars themselves. Thus, man did take for himself the heavens.

In taking this leap man had unified himself beneath one banner. To hold up that torch of civilization and nurture the fires. Man had formed the Terran Alliance. Yet the Alliance was a heavy and burdensome institution. Many groaned under its immense weight. Seeking to start anew these would take to man's new domain among the stars. As the Alliance's weight brought it buckle and eventually inevitably collapse, these men on enterprise and hope would take up the torch for themselves. One of these Torch holders was the Lyran Commonwealth.

Nestled amongst the stars which from man's home of Terra formed the constellation Lyra a network of trade exchange emerged between three peoples. Largely originating from the Terran continent of Europe these would enjoy a period of freedom and prosperity as they rejoiced in one another and their independence from Terra. Yet their time of peace was to be short lived. On the horizon they could see other torchbearers rising to ascendancy and with their fires razing those who would stand opposed. These three chose not to surrender to their fate. They bound together and chose for themselves a symbol. The three stringed Lyre. To represent their three peoples and the stars in which they resided. Thus, did they name themselves, the Lyrans, and of themselves forged a nation caste of gold and steel. Strong and imposing in its might, yet soft and wanting naught but bask in their own music and frivolity. Yet the Lyran people were clumsy and inexperienced with this new instrument of state. With it they played many a harsh cord harming themselves and enraging those around them. Thus, did they bring the fires of war to their doorstep.

The Lyrans would engage in civil conflicts, resist hostile invasions, and undergo distant adventurism. Sometimes chosen, sometimes not, but almost always would the Lyran state and her people suffer before this violence. Yet, they were resilient and hopeful. Even as they were scorched during this age of war the Lyrans chose to stand tall. Even as they reaped destruction they chose to build and rebuild. Thus, despite the violence, despite the suffering, they Lyrans would continue to prosper and grow. And she would dream. Dream of peace.

Through these fires of conflict, the Lyran state was not alone. Beyond her boarders others acted in accordance with their own complex tapestries of motivations and interests. Interests often spurred by greater suffering than her own. For the squabbles of the Commonwealth paled before the devastation reaped by other peoples. From that conflagration rose another dream. One born an echo of older ambition. A dream of unity, no matter the cost. A dream of prosperity, no matter who needed pay for it. A dream not of peace, but which promised it nonetheless. The dream of Star League.

Terra and the renewed empire which had spawned from her once more once more sought to bring man into the fold. But in failing a quest of conquest, she turned to one of cunning and political manuver. She coerced others to the table and there formed an alliance unrivaled in power. Through the intimidation of such power, they would threaten others into the fold. As for the Lyrans it was peace and wealth that they did offer. Such a temptation could not be rejected.

Thus did the Lyrans and humanity enter a golden age. Under this arrangement man flourished. Technology advanced. Civilization grew and expanded. Wealth exploded. There was a peace unlike any other in man's history. For centuries this state would persist. But alas, it was to one day wither and die. While many rejoiced beneath the banner of the league, for some its blessing were not enough. By pride avarice and greed many would contrive to ascend within the league. In their striving they would tear the institution asunder. Into an age was man caste every bit as dark and horrific as the one before was glorious and wonderful. No horror which man had previously uncovered was spurned. Beneath the fires of a thousand stars, man burned.

The Lyran state itself barely survived this holocaust. But survive it did.

-Excerpt from Oral Histories of the Sphere by Dr. Yoseif Bierhals transcribing an Abejorralian history of the Commonwealth.
« Last Edit: 05 May 2024, 17:30:38 by PlEGUY »

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Re: The Lyre Ascendant: A Dark Age AU Writeup
« Reply #1 on: 30 April 2024, 05:41:20 »
This is very interesting, are you going to be posting bits and pieces? Or are you going to put a source book together?
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Ice Hellion

• Master Sergeant
  • Part-time builder of fallen empires
« Reply #2 on: 30 April 2024, 13:28:00 »
Your map is too big for the screen. I just saw now that the right part was really interesting too.

Which leads me to a question, where are the Taurians?
In turn they tested each Clan namesake
In trial against the ice hellion's mettle.
Each chased the ice hellion, hunting it down.
All faild to match the predator's speed and grace.
Khan Cage smiled and said. "And that is how we shall be."

The Remembrance, Passage 5, Verse 3, Lines 1-5

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 30 April 2024, 20:45:08 »
Intersting start. :smilie_happy_thumbup:
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

PlEGUY

• Recruit
« Reply #4 on: 01 May 2024, 03:50:18 »
This is very interesting, are you going to be posting bits and pieces? Or are you going to put a source book together?

The current plan is to post in bits and pieces then tape those together with art and a themed format to make a book when I'm done. This way I can work on, share it, and get what feedback I can peacmeal without having to commit to a whole book up front, but still end up with a book by the end.
« Last Edit: 01 May 2024, 04:40:54 by PlEGUY »

PlEGUY

• Recruit
« Reply #5 on: 01 May 2024, 04:06:23 »
Your map is too big for the screen. I just saw now that the right part was really interesting too.

Which leads me to a question, where are the Taurians?

I'll try to see if I can fix the image later.

The Taurians are that little brown spot hugging the rimward boarder between the Suns and Capellans. They are a member of the Outback Cooperation Zone. In that political bloc map They are the second light yellow bloch from the left. What's that? You ask. The Taurians are cooperatimg with the Suns instead of delusionally frothing at the mouth and nuking their own citizenry? Unbelievable, I know, but it is true. That is one of the things I didn't do much more than tweak from the canon timeline. After the Calderons divorce them for being too crazy in the Jihad they sit down and have a nice long think. The better part of a century later, Julian invited them to the group. The Suns had spent most of that time being rather peacefull. The Fronc Reaches demonstrated that the Suns could be reasoned with. Every other political body in the region had joined.The Suns had Co-operated with them and the Protectorate that whole time operating a warship without pulling any funny business. The terms of the zone were fairly undemanding, trade and anti-piracy Cooperation. Lastly, the Calderon Protectorate and the Suns were getting along swimmingly and the Concordat did want to reunify. In the face of all that the standard paranoia wavered and they conceded. It wasn't the most popular choice ever and the Taurians are certainly the most unruly of the bunch. Unless of course you count Randis who keep absolutely abusing the deal to get in way over their heads then call in the big guns of their friends to sanitize pirate holdouts.
« Last Edit: 01 May 2024, 04:39:00 by PlEGUY »

PlEGUY

• Recruit
« Reply #6 on: 01 May 2024, 04:08:00 »

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 04 May 2024, 12:47:45 »
 :cool:
I'm liking this start
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Steve

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 04 May 2024, 14:19:50 »
Ah, so poor Trillian won't be handed a crap sandwhich.  Do go on.
"A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air." Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

PlEGUY

• Recruit
« Reply #9 on: 05 May 2024, 10:20:55 »
Ah, so poor Trillian won't be handed a crap sandwhich.  Do go on.

Um... about that...

Register