21 (15.2%)
Mad Cat (Timber Wolf)
62 (44.9%)
UrbanMech
2 (1.4%)
Commando
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 138

Author Topic: Most Iconic Mech  (Read 2748 times)

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
Re: Most Iconic Mech
« Reply #30 on: 28 March 2024, 12:14:27 »
I would sooner see certain units as being iconic of certain Eras, for various reasons.

By all means, start a poll for what you want to see. But there's nothing wrong with having a poll for BattleTech's most iconic Mechs regardless of era.
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

Gray_Noton_4lfe

• Corporal
  • They said "Risk" was a long game
« Reply #31 on: 04 April 2024, 09:56:21 »
The Commando is a little iconic right?
Corporal: Were under attack general.
General: who's attacking?
Corporal: Those 25 Urbanmech Mechwarriors you offended last week on Solaris.
General: That's....unfortunate. Could you remind me what I said to offend them?
Corporal: You said their Urbanmechs look like Locust-1Vs Sir.
General: ahh... I remember now.

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #32 on: 04 April 2024, 10:27:58 »
The Commando is a little iconic right?

Sort of. Iconic to the Lyrans, definitely. Iconic to the Succession Wars and the Invasion, I suppose. Iconic to the game as a whole, probably not.
Experimental Technical Readout: The School
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56420.0

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #33 on: 05 April 2024, 15:31:36 »
Timber Wold, Marauder, Atlas. They are the big three from the first years of BT.

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #34 on: 05 April 2024, 17:06:44 »
Sort of. Iconic to the Lyrans, definitely. Iconic to the Succession Wars and the Invasion, I suppose. Iconic to the game as a whole, probably not.
Its greatest claim to fame is as the starting mech in Mechwarrior II: Mercenaries. That was no small deal and influenced a number of fans, particularly since its custom variant was exquisite.

avon1985

• Major
« Reply #35 on: 06 April 2024, 06:09:29 »
Voted for the Warhammer but the Archer is most iconic for me.

Agathos

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #36 on: 06 April 2024, 10:01:34 »
The Atlas needs more iconic pilots. There was Frederick Steiner, back when he called himself that, but we didn't see much of Focht in the cockpit (player's option in the old Tukayyid scenario pack). Are Jonah Levin and Aaron DeChavilier big enough names?

Meanwhile the Marauder has Natasha Kerensky, the Bounty Hunter, and Grayson Carlyle; the Mad Cat has Aidan Pryde (briefly but ultimately), Vlad Ward, and the Bounty Hunter.

If you allow the Atlas II then you get Devlin Stone and Nicky Kerensky, but then do you compare that against the Marauder II and the Savage Wolf?

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #37 on: 06 April 2024, 10:36:11 »
The Atlas needs more iconic pilots. There was Frederick Steiner, back when he called himself that, but we didn't see much of Focht in the cockpit (player's option in the old Tukayyid scenario pack). Are Jonah Levin and Aaron DeChavilier big enough names?

Meanwhile the Marauder has Natasha Kerensky, the Bounty Hunter, and Grayson Carlyle; the Mad Cat has Aidan Pryde (briefly but ultimately), Vlad Ward, and the Bounty Hunter.

If you allow the Atlas II then you get Devlin Stone and Nicky Kerensky, but then do you compare that against the Marauder II and the Savage Wolf?
I never got a hold of one, but I forget if the Bounty Hunter figurine was a Marauder or Marauder II in Dark Age.

Gray_Noton_4lfe

• Corporal
« Reply #38 on: 16 April 2024, 11:51:13 »
I still say the atlas is the most iconic due to its place on BT products over the years

Gray_Noton_4lfe

• Corporal
« Reply #39 on: 16 April 2024, 11:55:40 »
I would say that the commando is probably more iconic then the Urbanmech. The Urbanmech been around for what, like 5yrs

Pat Payne

• Lieutenant
  • 352nd Combat Group -- Ex cinis ad astra
« Reply #40 on: 16 April 2024, 12:03:48 »
The Atlas needs more iconic pilots. There was Frederick Steiner, back when he called himself that, but we didn't see much of Focht in the cockpit.

According to Legends, IIRC, by the time he became Focht, his active combat days were behind him and he only piloted his Atlas to keep his qualification current. He wanted to serve frontline, but IIRC ComStar felt he was worth more back safe than in harm's way.

Rebel Yell

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #41 on: 16 April 2024, 12:20:26 »
I would say that the commando is probably more iconic then the Urbanmech. The Urbanmech been around for what, like 5yrs

Not even close.

The Urb has been in MWO since 2015 and tabletop a looong time before that.
3025-3039 The Glory days of BT. Everything after that can get off my lawn.

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #42 on: 16 April 2024, 12:44:42 »
The Urbie has been around since the original TRO 3025 back in 1986.
I have spoken.

Gray_Noton_4lfe

• Corporal
« Reply #43 on: 16 April 2024, 13:12:04 »
The Urbie has been around since the original TRO 3025 back in 1986.

Ok, didn't realize that

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #44 on: 16 April 2024, 15:47:30 »
Both the Commando and Urbammech were in TRO: 3025 and also debuted in Crescent Hawks Inception. 

The Commando was a hero mech, from Crescent Hawks Pilot Rex Pearce while the Urbanmech was a mook mech that generally only showed up when you were playing in arena matches and possibly salvageable if you were able to take one out while busting up the Arena, but that was generally a bad thing to do. 

Ok, didn't realize that

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #45 on: 16 April 2024, 16:02:23 »
I'm extremely surprised the Atlas is trailing that far behind the MadCat.  Or, for that matter, the Warhammer.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

House Davie Merc

• Lieutenant
« Reply #46 on: 16 April 2024, 16:50:19 »
I'm extremely surprised the Atlas is trailing that far behind the MadCat.  Or, for that matter, the Warhammer.
IMHO the Warhammer would have scored even higher in this poll if not for decades of the unseen issue.

Back before the term unseen was even used for anything Battletech the Warhammer was on the cover of an
unbelievable amount of Battletech merch. To this day I'm surprised that it wasn't on the cover of
the original TRO 3025.
Just off hand it was on the cover of the 1st 3 box sets, all of the TCI model sets, the back cover of
Tales of the Black widow, the back cover of The Fox's Teeth, and the Back cover of The Gray Death Legion.
That's just what I can name offhand.
Considering how long it was unseen it's understandable that the T-Wolf would be chosen as more
iconic especially from younger players.

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #47 on: 16 April 2024, 16:57:10 »
The multiple generations of fandom aspect is indeed key.

bugman

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #48 on: 17 April 2024, 07:31:49 »
For me it was the WH. Mostly because I started pre Clan. It's hard to shake the image of the WH from the marketing of early years.
Plus add in the fact that gaming wise we seemed to use lots of medium/heavies. Love the balance of this 3025 mech. You need to manage heat with this one, but it was a ton of fun on the table top.

If we had the technology to build mechs today. If I was the designer it would look like a WH.

I could see introduction date to the game being huge to your perspective.

Gray_Noton_4lfe

• Corporal
« Reply #49 on: 17 April 2024, 10:45:50 »
Would anyone say the Catapult is Iconic?

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #50 on: 17 April 2024, 11:02:01 »
Iconic to the Capellan Confederation, but not to the game as a whole.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #51 on: 17 April 2024, 12:20:39 »
 Remember that Mad Cat comes from Marauder-Catapult based off of aesthetics. Outside of the game, the Mad Cat might be seen as the refined version of the Catapult.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #52 on: 17 April 2024, 18:21:26 »
Only thing off the top of my head i can remember it gracing the cover was Mechcommander.  That would be what I would consider it iconic for.

Would anyone say the Catapult is Iconic?

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #53 on: 17 April 2024, 18:26:49 »
I don't think that showing up on the cover of one product (especially one as peripheral as MechCommander) is enough to qualify as "Iconic."  Every mech that had ever gotten cover art on a novel would qualify by that logic.  Including the Defiance.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #54 on: 17 April 2024, 18:37:07 »
I don't think that showing up on the cover of one product (especially one as peripheral as MechCommander) is enough to qualify as "Iconic."  Every mech that had ever gotten cover art on a novel would qualify by that logic.  Including the Defiance.

Even if that Defiance was actual a Warhammer? (I love that cover but Loveless kept getting mech legs wrong)

The Catapult really is a great BT mech; original, popular, easy to identify no mater the art, it was even one of the mechs in the MW: DA started set. I also think other mechs on the list over shadow it but it's defiantly one of the mechs that help define Battletech.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #55 on: 17 April 2024, 18:37:46 »
The Catapult has a more distinguished record than you think, including being the mech that KOs your commander in the opening of Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries, and one of the best pieces to grace Bannson's Raiders (Meghann Tenclay).

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #56 on: 17 April 2024, 19:38:13 »
I meant to say the Catapult would be iconic for Mechcommander to me.

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #57 on: 17 April 2024, 19:59:29 »
 If you have never seen it, the opening video to Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries is quite memorable. In your first hirable campaign, you are mentored by a Catapult pilot named "Deadeye."

Just tell me, am I the only one who thinks the commander's mech is a cross between a Victor and a Zeus?

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #58 on: 17 April 2024, 20:10:59 »
Just tell me, am I the only one who thinks the commander's mech is a cross between a Victor and a Zeus?

It may be because someone made a fan animated remake of the openning of MW2: Mercs with MWO assets and replaced the Zeus with a Victor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZQn3OwvVQE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5ezgEzpQBg

The original, the Zeus' LRMs take out the Atlas, the fan remakes switches to a Victor so it's a AC/20 that takes the Atlas out.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #59 on: 17 April 2024, 20:50:17 »
It may be because someone made a fan animated remake of the openning of MW2: Mercs with MWO assets and replaced the Zeus with a Victor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZQn3OwvVQE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5ezgEzpQBg

The original, the Zeus' LRMs take out the Atlas, the fan remakes switches to a Victor so it's a AC/20 that takes the Atlas out.
I honestly always thought the second arm was firing an autocannon. Still, it is awesome to see an upgrade of the original to a higher resolution--it was already fantastic in its time. As for the second video, I just consider it an artist's take.

Register