Author Topic: Generic Chaos Campaign tracks for two player forces  (Read 5229 times)

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
Generic Chaos Campaign tracks for two player forces
« on: 04 March 2012, 12:28:52 »
Most of the generic Chaos Campaign tracks have been designed for one player force alone. I want game master Chaos Campaign for two opposing player forces where both forces play same tracks against each others. Set at 3025 between LCAF and DCMS, first track is Recon, second either Assault or Defend, and last track either Supply Run (if raiding force wins previous track) or Fighting Withdrawal (if raiding force loses previous track). How do we get those tracks work for both ways?

How about this for RECON track:
1. Both player forces have same objectives as printed in the books.
2. Winning player is the one who completes objectives first.
3. Losing player has to announce his force first for the next track.

It could be possible to prevent other player from achieving first objective. Aside getting out of the map (GM shouldn't permit it before 1st objective is completed by either player), one player could keep one of his units out of other player's scanning distance. Bloody well possible if he has something faster than other player... assuming the fast one doesn't get crippled first. I know: powergaming, but what else can be done about it? But if both players complete objectives in different turns, should WP denied from loser? But what if both players achieve both objectives in same turns? Initiative aside, I'm drawing blank here...

What can be done with other generic tracks?
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

Frantic Pryde

• Sergeant
Re: Generic Chaos Campaign tracks for two player forces
« Reply #1 on: 18 July 2012, 02:20:24 »
I'm bumping this. I don't have any worthy ideas but I would like to hear more!

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #2 on: 18 July 2012, 08:31:50 »
When I GM'ed a campaign I used tracks as two player missions. Sometimes just having them share one track is challenging enough.
So I'll try to remember some examples.

Recon
Player A needs to perform the Recon mission on Player B's forces. Get in, scan them, then get out.
Player B only knows that a force is nearby, but can't risk them knowing too much about his/her own force. They are tasked with destroying them.

While Player A's objectives are pretty much the standard Recon ones I would probably add in another bonus if they manage to accomplish things within a set amount of time.

Player B's Objectives might go something like this:
1. Crush them now! Destroy (minimum) 80% of Attacker's forces. High command will send out hunter killer units to finish off the remainders later.
2. Take out the Commander. If the scouting force loses their commander this counts as a successful objective.
Bonus Objective: No Data available. Do not allow the scouts to scan more than 50% of your forces.

Player A can also elect to allow Player B the ability to use Hidden Units if Player A wishes to get an increase in WP for this track.

So it is possible for both sides to 'win'. Player A could scan everybody in B's forces and B's forces kill the Commander of A's group. This would reflect that even though the mission was successful it came at a high price. Player B's high command could then get an inkling of who was curious about them based on the commander killed.

We did a track like this at my table and saw everyone's forces dancing around each other. It was quite fun from an observer's PoV.

The Assault and Defend tracks you could play together. Player A needs to kill off so many of B and thus B defends so many of his forces to win.
For a few of these tracks the opposing player's objectives were simply the reverse of Player A's game.

When I get home I'll try to get better examples. I hope this helped.
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #3 on: 31 December 2018, 15:49:29 »
Has anything been done about this, either in official products or in other topics?

To reiterate what I had in first post: Chaos Campaign of 3 scenario tracks long, where LCAF is attacker and DCMS is defender. Both players plan and write their forces with limited # of Warchest Points, and some other conditions defined by me, the GM (DCMS force can have 1 Jenner if desired, but no more because of its rarity). Tracks consist of Recon, Assault/Defend, and Supply Run/Fighting Withdrawal. Problem with said tracks in Starterbook: Sword and Dragon is that objectives have been made for 1 player force against 1 NPC force and I'm looking for tracks with objectives for 2 opposing player forces.

How should I proceed?
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #4 on: 31 December 2018, 17:05:04 »
The era reports have a variety of generic tracks that probably fit what you're looking for. the setup instructions clearly state they are for two or more players with at least one on each side.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #5 on: 05 January 2019, 13:42:26 »
The era reports have a variety of generic tracks that probably fit what you're looking for. the setup instructions clearly state they are for two or more players with at least one on each side.
What are Defender's objectives in track MISSION: RECON? Or: how does defender win it? That is my foremost problem.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #6 on: 05 January 2019, 23:47:31 »
you can always make some up

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #7 on: 13 March 2019, 09:53:39 »
What are Defender's objectives in track MISSION: RECON? Or: how does defender win it? That is my foremost problem.

Example was given above, I think it comes down to crafting the scenario using what is already present to give each side conflicting but separate objectives- especially to avoid the 'kill the other side, win by default' mode some scenarios end up with as a solution.  While Recon is absolutely about minimizing contact while getting the best information, the defenders ARE going to be on a kill mission but even more important will be their efforts to drive them off.

IMO the Defender should get X RP for crippling a Recon unit, and half of X RP for destroying a unit with Forced Withdraw in effect for the Recon forces but not the Defenders.  This places the emphasis on driving off the Recon units rather than destroying them though b/c it is a Recon sweep the Defenders will be left in possession of the battlefield so they do not have to be totally compensated for the cost of the track since they could make up the value with salvage.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #8 on: 13 March 2019, 11:15:13 »
those tracks are meant to be played against an opfor force, not the defending player's actual force who has to track WP. look at how Touchpoint tracks are designed. That's where the two players' forces are meant to fight each other directly