Author Topic: Dark Age Starter Set.  (Read 2673 times)

Dmon

• Warrant Officer
Dark Age Starter Set.
« on: 02 June 2014, 18:16:46 »
I remember buying a pair of these and about 5-6 Booster pacls back in the day but as my collection grew they just blended in with everything else in the collection.

What was in the original Starter Set?

DarkSpade

• Major
Re: Dark Age Starter Set.
« Reply #1 on: 02 June 2014, 18:56:05 »
5 infantry, 1 tank(2?), and one battlemech(never an ICE mech).   All random.   

A later version was two starters in one box and included 2 uniques from the first set.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

jackpot4

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 02 June 2014, 20:56:18 »
The guy before me had it covered, but I remember my first set, I got a SSw Spider and a SSw JES II with some random infantry.  My brother still hates seeing that JES II hahaha.
Truth is treason in an empire of lies.

Be the Light in the darkness.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #3 on: 02 June 2014, 20:59:56 »
Has anyone tried playing with a force like that in regular Battletech?  I try, it doesn't end well.  Force seems get crippled and unable to do a mission with setup force with one Mech and bunch of BA and Combat Vehicles.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

SpaceCowboy1701

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 04 June 2014, 09:21:12 »
Has anyone tried playing with a force like that in regular Battletech?  I try, it doesn't end well.  Force seems get crippled and unable to do a mission with setup force with one Mech and bunch of BA and Combat Vehicles.

The original "starters" weren't very functional like that ... the revamped starters for AoD were (almost) everything the originals should have been, as far as functionality goes. I remember trying to do a game with my first few units ... two miner MODs that couldn't hit each other ...

GhostCat

• Lieutenant
  • If A, then B, The Evil Genius Argument
« Reply #5 on: 04 June 2014, 12:43:18 »
Yep, the first Dark Age set had a lot of lame and gimpy units.  Not the least was the old Spirit Cat Blackhawk that shuts down with the Alpha Strike and waits helplessly for three turns while everything and its cousin tries to kill it.  Hit or miss, the Blackhawk was a one shot wonder.  But the Spirit Cat infantry was fearless and very competent, the hoverbikes could base and breakaway from opposing units at will, and the Clan Battle Armor had flamers and could capture a shut down mech before it knew it was in trouble.

Of course the game mechanic changed a bit with Age of Destruction, but without those improvements, the game would have gotten stale and died a much earlier death.

GC
"Spirit Cats are just pirates basically." --- Quote from Herb

Register