Author Topic: Zap-a-Gap not bonding?  (Read 3470 times)

OverKill

• Lieutenant
  • Marauder MAD-3D "Guan-Yu"
Zap-a-Gap not bonding?
« on: 20 February 2011, 19:19:29 »
So my warhammer has been in an acetone bath and I thought I washed it well enough but now the torso and the legs of my IIC arent bonding at all. The glue just doesn't seem to harden?

Ideas?
Colonel Mason Grimm
Grimm Reaper Company (Grimm's Reapers)
Piloting: Marauder MAD-3D - Guan-Yu
We are the things you see out of the corner of your eye!

OverKill

• Lieutenant
  • Marauder MAD-3D "Guan-Yu"
Re: Zap-a-Gap not bonding?
« Reply #1 on: 21 February 2011, 12:40:08 »
This problem was solved after a soak in water with soap in it. I'm not sure cause I scrubbed the mini after the acetone bath but it took new scoring and new soaking in water/soap for it to bond each half. I was like  [tickedoff]
Colonel Mason Grimm
Grimm Reaper Company (Grimm's Reapers)
Piloting: Marauder MAD-3D - Guan-Yu
We are the things you see out of the corner of your eye!

RacerX

• Sergeant
    • Royal Terra Guard - MWO Home
« Reply #2 on: 21 February 2011, 14:46:45 »
The glue was probably reacting to the acetone.  People, for whatever reason, think that something is dry then the chemical is no longer present.  This is simply untrue.  If you Windex a surface and wipe it off with a paper towel you will notice that the "cleaned" surface still smells like Windex.  That's because the checmical is still there.  After the Amonia evaperates the smell goes away however the rest of the chemicals that made up the cleaner are still on the surface.  The same with your acetone.   When you added the glue you simply reactivated the acetone.  The water and soap break this stuff up and cleaned it off.  Always clean your stuff in mild soap and water to remove any and all harsh chemicals or release agents.  This is true for Gaming minies as well as Styrene and Resign models.  This is always my first step for any project.  I usually let the parts soak for a few hours in a warm bath of Water and a small amount of dish soap.  Then I start cleaning, assembling, and priming the parts.  If I add another chemical to the mix later in the process then clean that part.

I hope this helps.

Slideways

• Private
« Reply #3 on: 22 February 2011, 00:04:05 »
I have had some problems with pieces not sticking as mentioned and cleaning is definitely the answer.  My problem is I'm so excited to build the minis when I finally get them sometimes washing is not in the cards. :-\
But... simple soap and water does wonders.  Take the time and do it right.

Register