Author Topic: What is the effect of the primer color?  (Read 3059 times)

kinwolf

• Master Sergeant
What is the effect of the primer color?
« on: 08 April 2019, 19:51:43 »
Hi, I have a white primer at home, but most recommendation I see is for grey primer.  Does it have an effect on the paint color applied afterwards?

Luciora

• Major
Re: What is the effect of the primer color?
« Reply #1 on: 08 April 2019, 19:55:22 »
It adds a shading background to the mini.  If you want brighter overall colors, use white primer, black if you want darker base shades.  Gray tends to be in between for the finished colors.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #2 on: 08 April 2019, 20:32:06 »
Certain colors will only work with particular primer shades. Yellow, for example, is notorious (in acrylics) for not playing well within anything but white. Red is a bit similar, but it doesn't look faded on black, though.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #3 on: 08 April 2019, 20:48:55 »
I have multiple Primer's

Grey for dark pallets (blues, greys, dark reds, etc)

and White for Lighter pallets (light blue, whites, light Greens).

Currently painting my mechs PINK and this works way better with a White primer than with a dark grey primer.
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

kinwolf

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 09 April 2019, 06:28:47 »
Interesting, especially that yellow thing as I am planning a yellow color scheme for one lance. 

thanks!

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #5 on: 09 April 2019, 07:08:05 »
I was practicing with an airbrush here: https://i.imgur.com/dTuvAUC.jpg

The middle spoon was white primer. The upper right ones were gray with fewer yellow coats and more yellow coats. I don't know if you can get as bright as the middle with gray no matter how many layers you put on.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Psycho

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: 09 April 2019, 21:11:35 »
Unless you are going to be using either a typically translucent colour (yellows, oranges), or are all about painting in very thin layers, the primer colour will have very little impact. You've seen the effect of grey versus white primer on yellow, and I wouldn't recommend priming in black for a white or very light paint scheme, but beyond that it's not a deal-breaker. The primer is meant to give you a bonding layer between the bare metal and further paint layers. A thin coat is all you need, and you really shouldn't be relying on it to fill every crevice and completely obscure every trace of metal. Usually doing that means you've over-done the primer (which probably isn't a huge deal in itself unless you've REALLY gone overboard). Save the base coat for the actual base coat.

A couple examples of what I mean by the primer colour not mattering much:
1) an Avalanche that's mostly white. Although I did use a white primer, my base coat is more of a medium grey to establish the deepest shades. The white is then brought back up with highlight layers.
2) a Mad Cat mkII E that's primarily near-black. That started with a light grey primer. Even if I had gone with black, I'd still need to lay down a black base coat to ensure good coverage, and it would make getting the yellow-orange sections to pop that much harder.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #7 on: 10 April 2019, 09:00:37 »
The primer is meant to give you a bonding layer between the bare metal and further paint layers. A thin coat is all you need, and you really shouldn't be relying on it to fill every crevice and completely obscure every trace of metal. Usually doing that means you've over-done the primer (which probably isn't a huge deal in itself unless you've REALLY gone overboard). Save the base coat for the actual base coat.

Huh. You learn something new every day. I almost always do a second spot pass with primer to get the metal spots sticking out that I missed

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

kinwolf

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 10 April 2019, 20:17:32 »
Layers...  I need to learn patience!

Psycho

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: 10 April 2019, 20:39:48 »
Huh. You learn something new every day. I almost always do a second spot pass with primer to get the metal spots sticking out that I missed

It's like any other step in painting; thinner is better, as long as it's doing the job. I'm not one to hold slavishly to any specific doctrine of painting, so if something is working well for you, you shouldn't feel the need to change it based on anything I've said.  :) I know how I paint isn't for everyone either.

Layers...  I need to learn patience!

lol, yeah, patience and brush control are probably the two most important aspects of painting when looking to improve. Just remember that patience also means being patient with yourself, because there will be points where you get stuck and things aren't going how you thought they should.

abou

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 10 April 2019, 22:57:29 »
lol, yeah, patience and brush control are probably the two most important aspects of painting when looking to improve. Just remember that patience also means being patient with yourself, because there will be points where you get stuck and things aren't going how you thought they should.
Which is something you know, but forget when you get tired and frustrated. Too many a mini has gone in the dunk tank when I get fatigued and make mistakes simply because I want to push to get it done.