Author Topic: Molding spare parts?  (Read 5183 times)

pheonixstorm

• Major
Molding spare parts?
« on: 17 August 2019, 09:46:32 »
I have a problem. I have too many Ral Partha miniatures and too few parts. It is a horrible affliction.

Now the solution.. I could repurpose them as battlefield wreckage or just find a way to replace the missing parts. In the old Clan kits (Heavy and Assault) several of the minis are missing legs. How this happened is beyond me. One possible fix I am looking into is using the remaining legs to form a mold using Blue Stuff ( http://www.greenstuffworld.com/en/reusable-blue-stuff/8-blue-stuff-mold-8-bars.html ) then use Milliput.

Has anyone tried doing something like this or have any tips? Really don't want to have to choose who gets a set of legs for the Loki/Summoner or Mad Cat/Vulture as well as one of the assaults. There are several youtube videos that show good results for smaller pieces such as shields.

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
Re: Molding spare parts?
« Reply #1 on: 17 August 2019, 14:20:16 »
I feel like parts such as legs will be too complicated for this method. I think it's best used for duplicating flat parts and raised details.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 17 August 2019, 14:47:29 »
The scrapyard has orderable parts through IWM or Aries games.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 17 August 2019, 14:57:40 »
Might not look right though lol Does IWM even have anything that will fit the original Ral Partha scults?

I feel like parts such as legs will be too complicated for this method. I think it's best used for duplicating flat parts and raised details.

For a single leg maybe, for a joined set of legs.. likely.

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #4 on: 17 August 2019, 15:15:57 »
Might not look right though lol Does IWM even have anything that will fit the original Ral Partha scults?
They still sell the old sculpts, so yes.

Mad Cat/Vulture legs: http://ironwindmetals.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=2175

Black_Knyght

• Captain
  • Nisi mors certum est in bello
« Reply #5 on: 17 August 2019, 16:52:06 »
Might give you a chance to strengthen/reinforce some pieces as part of the "molding process", by inserting bit of strong wire or such.

Cazaril

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 17 August 2019, 17:19:30 »
If you can mold your own parts, then you should be capable of adjusting legs you can pick up through IWM (assuming they even need adjustments)...

Caz

Mohammed As`Zaman Bey

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 18 August 2019, 10:38:12 »
  I have used silicon molding compound to make molds for models, bases and even bullets in resin. It depends on how much work you want to do.

mechnut450

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #8 on: 21 August 2019, 07:57:53 »
I used some pieces I still had on tree a while back to remake unseen parts, I had a lot of request for parts but I I made it a point to point remind people these were only clones to replace broken parts and such . I even took a marauder body and recast-ed only part of it to put on a resin base  to use a a marker for a damages containing  hex for some game pieces.  I learned so much more from those early days and if you choose this route please remember to vac the resin to prevent bubbles and such. 

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 24 August 2019, 13:05:11 »
Not looking to get that deep into it.

At that point I would go for a full mold for designs IWM doesn't have or for creating my own. Though creating my own sculpts is likely beyond my skill level  xp

Phobos101

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: 25 August 2019, 00:12:13 »
I've used something similar to blue stuff with a lego jig to make and copy some custom parts and replacements. It's fine. not perfect. lots of trial and error to get a passable result.

snowridr

• Corporal
« Reply #11 on: 05 September 2019, 10:25:45 »

packhntr

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: 05 September 2019, 10:34:06 »
If at first you don't succeed, make it worth the repairman's time!

Register