Author Topic: Meaning of the term "Reaving"  (Read 2590 times)

Caturix

• Sergeant
  • Ex Astris, Scientia.
Meaning of the term "Reaving"
« on: 18 August 2011, 06:54:05 »
Hello !

As English is not my mother-tongue, I am left wondering what exactly Reaving means in the context of the book Wars of Reaving. Is it about plunder/pillage ? But what about the reaving of bloodlines or warriors, then ? It seems to me that it is closer to exterminate than to steal. But I must be wrong, I presume...
"The Mechwarrior formerly known as Stenka"

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don't you think?
Re: Meaning of the term "Reaving"
« Reply #1 on: 18 August 2011, 08:06:53 »
You could use some of the archaic definitions here:
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/reaving

"To break or tear apart"
"To deprive; strip"

In this case, bloodlines are being broken, torn apart, and deprived. As you said, "exterminated." Clan society as a whole was badly stressed ("broken and torn apart").
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

Caturix

• Sergeant
  • Ex Astris, Scientia.
Re: Meaning of the term "Reaving"
« Reply #2 on: 18 August 2011, 09:44:51 »
Thank you very much for your fast and enlightening answer :D !!
"The Mechwarrior formerly known as Stenka"

Register