Author Topic: IO - Can Long Tom ARTILLERY Piece (not cannon) be mounted on a Super Heavy Mech?  (Read 2920 times)

Bishop Steiner

• Private

I've been trying to find this out.  The Long Tom is listed as NA (pg 405, Tech manual) for crits on Mechs, and no Mech Generator Program I have found allows it.  The only question I could find on this was dated 2011, and was answered that no Biped Could but that the rules for Quads and Tripods had not been written yet.

Considering that Artillery is woefully underpowered in TT to begin with, even the prohibition (if it were ever official) on Long Toms seems very much like a carry over from the standard Mech rules, where the Split Critting simply was not possible due to number of crits involved.

So, as the Subject says, can Super Heavy Mechs mount a Long Tom Artillery Piece, and if so, what limitations, if any, exist?
« Last Edit: 23 July 2019, 20:01:49 by Xotl »

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
Interstellar Operations p.163:

"In addition to this, a superheavy ’Mech can also mount artillery
weapons ordinarily denied to standard-weight ’Mechs, as long as
the unit has the tonnage and space to do so."

The solution is just ignore Paul.

Bishop Steiner

• Private
Interstellar Operations p.163:

"In addition to this, a superheavy ’Mech can also mount artillery
weapons ordinarily denied to standard-weight ’Mechs, as long as
the unit has the tonnage and space to do so."

Understood, but it appears the table in Tech Manual, pg 405 needs to be changed as it lists Long Tom as N/A under the crits.

Paul

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
Techmanual doesn't cover Superheavy Mechs, so no change is needed.

Paul

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
It seems there's some confusion: you mean Tactical Operations when you write Techmanual.

In which case, the answer is 30, so 15 slots on a Super Heavy. It'd have to be split across 2 locations.

Register