Author Topic: Replacing the Highlander 732b  (Read 5544 times)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Replacing the Highlander 732b
« on: 10 January 2020, 11:54:37 »
So this career through HBS's BattleTech I had a difference experience & story than my first time- for one thing all the DLC mechs added changed what I ended up using and in some cases fighting against.  Which leaves me wanting to use this run as a seed for a new background merc group for my files.  I am dumping the Argo & Atlas II as well as going lighter for the company over all but still want something to replace the uniqueness of them getting the Royal Highlander- it might end up being the only assault they field, rest of the company being 3H, 6M and 2L.

What would you consider of similar nature to the Highlander and rarity among the SLDF to be placed into a cache?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

The_Big_Red_Bear

• Master Sergeant
  • Purple Bird is Strong
    • The Big Red Youtube Channel
Re: Replacing the Highlander 732b
« Reply #1 on: 10 January 2020, 12:03:39 »
Devastator. If we're talking Gause firepower.

That was an SLDF mech IIRC.
I Am Big_Red_40TECH and so can you.

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #2 on: 10 January 2020, 12:10:27 »
Shogun

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 10 January 2020, 12:11:49 »
What about a Spartan?  It’s not nearly as powerful as a Highlander, but given the light makeup of the rest of your force, a 5/8 assault might be helpful.  It’s certainly rare, if not quite unique.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #4 on: 10 January 2020, 12:21:12 »
Shogun

Ruger

Okay, a Shogun would be interesting- 'Are they with the Dragoons?  did they find the same cache?'
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #5 on: 10 January 2020, 12:27:08 »
They were produced before the fall of the league so there might be a few hidden underground here and there

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

The_Big_Red_Bear

• Master Sergeant
  • Purple Bird is Strong
    • The Big Red Youtube Channel
« Reply #6 on: 10 January 2020, 12:34:49 »
They were produced before the fall of the league so there might be a few hidden underground here and there

You know what an even better option would be?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cE0wfjsybIQ

The King of those. lmao
I Am Big_Red_40TECH and so can you.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #7 on: 11 January 2020, 22:37:27 »
The only King Crab that really fills the same general role as the Royal Highlander is the Clanbuster version, which wouldn't be found in a Star League Cache.  But you could get the effect from a Nightstar.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #8 on: 11 January 2020, 22:43:35 »
Guillotine maybe? its a heavy but it jumps and has pretty good armor and firepower for its size. plus the star league GLT-3N's main advanced tech is the endosteel and CASE, so you'd have an aspect of "we can;t let it get beat up too badly" but at the same time they can keep the armor and weapons going as it does take damage.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #9 on: 11 January 2020, 22:44:35 »
That's a good option.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

TigerShark

• Major
    • MekWars: Dominion
« Reply #10 on: 11 January 2020, 22:49:58 »
Devastator. If we're talking Gause firepower.

That was an SLDF mech IIRC.
The Devastator was incredibly rare and only seen in the very last stage of the invasion of the Amaris Empire. The Highlander was widespread, being used by every House, available to mercenaries, and (therefore) to the Periphery states who hired these soldiers.

I would say the Pillager is a much more analogous 'Mech in the Star League era, having been around since the Reunification War. Only the Periphery states and Draconis Combine made no usage of it.
  W W W . M E K W A R S - D O M I N I O N . C O M

"You will fight to the last soldier, and when you die, I will call upon your damned soul to speak horrible curses at the enemy."
     - Orders of Emperor Stefan Amaris to his troops

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #11 on: 12 January 2020, 00:06:26 »
Devastator was only a prototype in the SLDF era.

Only 6 of them made IIRC according to the fluff.

Pillager is much more direct fire mech & overall much more firepower with the XL engine.

I like the Shogun suggestion.

The 2H is 5 tons lighter but over all a similar amount of firepower & close in armor.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

JPArbiter

• Captain
  • Podcasting Monkey
    • Arbitration Studios, your last word in battletech talk
« Reply #12 on: 14 January 2020, 18:14:22 »
How about the emperor. Same mobility and tonnage, weapons load is a little more common, and in Liao spce apare parts are not uncommon as the mech was still deployed, albeit rarely
Host of Arbitration, your last word in Battletech Talk

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #13 on: 20 January 2020, 17:05:37 »
Looking through and accounting for suggestions . . .

Emperor 5A
Pillager 1N
Royal Crockett
Shogun 2F

The four designs were SL-era, avoid some of the more complicated ammo situations (Emp & other advanced Crockett's LBX, SSRM for Shogun) without being over the top deadly at range (Pillager 3Z) and keep to the Highlander's class & movement profile.  The Emperor & Pillager is kind of iffy IMO b/c it does not have any of the advanced component/weapons like the other 2 designs- so easier to maintain & repair.  The Emp is light in the firepower department and the Pillager has a range problem . . . but is a jumping pair of AC/20s lol.

Shogun gets that 'could be Dragoons!' hook into the Periphery.
Colt Ward

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 20 January 2020, 20:28:37 »
No thoughts on the Spartan?
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

TigerShark

• Major
    • MekWars: Dominion
« Reply #15 on: 20 January 2020, 20:51:19 »
No thoughts on the Spartan?
It's very rare and not many were made before the factory was destroyed. Even then, it was invented/produced during the Star League Civil War.
  W W W . M E K W A R S - D O M I N I O N . C O M

"You will fight to the last soldier, and when you die, I will call upon your damned soul to speak horrible curses at the enemy."
     - Orders of Emperor Stefan Amaris to his troops

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #16 on: 20 January 2020, 21:02:07 »

I’d go with a Nightstar -9J if you want to emphasize the Gauss/hole-punching/command nature of the Highlander.  It was in production for nearly a couple decades before the Exodus.

But if you want to emphasize the jumpy/fire support/crit-seeking nature of the Highlander, then the Shogun is the way to go.
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #17 on: 20 January 2020, 21:17:24 »
Has the Royal Stalker been suggested?

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #18 on: 20 January 2020, 21:25:39 »
If you're looking for a long range sniper, either the Nightstar (as many have already mentioned) or a Thunderhawk.
Did you hear about the LEGO store grand opening?  People were lined up for blocks...

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #19 on: 21 January 2020, 01:09:11 »
if you consider things from Battletechnology magazine, what about the Ventilator

Caedis Animus

• Captain
  • How can a bird be sultry? Very carefully.
« Reply #20 on: 21 January 2020, 01:54:19 »
I'd say a Royal Battlemaster or Royal Black Knight.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #21 on: 21 January 2020, 02:27:50 »
It would be a super rare find but a Atlas II AS7-D-H2 is the only thing that can come close to beating what has already been listed.

-Edit: never mind, I got nothing  :(
« Last Edit: 21 January 2020, 03:01:10 by SteelRaven »
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #22 on: 21 January 2020, 02:51:39 »
guys, please note the following:
I am dumping the Argo & Atlas II as well as going lighter for the company over all but still want something to replace the uniqueness of them getting the Royal Highlander- it might end up being the only assault they field, rest of the company being 3H, 6M and 2L.

he's trying to reduce the number of big mechs on the field, and trying to find something that fits that trend to use instead of a royal highlander. so proposing stuff that is even heavier and with more firepower than a royal highlander probably isn't very useful.

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #23 on: 21 January 2020, 03:10:42 »
guys, please note the following:
he's trying to reduce the number of big mechs on the field, and trying to find something that fits that trend to use instead of a royal highlander. so proposing stuff that is even heavier and with more firepower than a royal highlander probably isn't very useful.

They did say it may be the only assault they field.
Did you hear about the LEGO store grand opening?  People were lined up for blocks...

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #24 on: 21 January 2020, 14:49:01 »
yes but the general assumption that smaller is preferred should still be in play. go down into the 80 and 85 range rather than up to 100 and above if suggesting an assault,

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #25 on: 21 January 2020, 15:36:38 »
Oddly enough . . . outside the Guillotine, I cannot think of many upper end heavy or lower end assaults that are 4/6/x from the Star League era.
Colt Ward

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #26 on: 21 January 2020, 15:41:06 »
Hmm.  The only 4/6 assault mechs from the Star League era I can think of are the Banshee, Cyclops, Battlemaster, and Striker.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #27 on: 21 January 2020, 15:47:50 »
Hmm.  The only 4/6 assault mechs from the Star League era I can think of are the Banshee, Cyclops, Battlemaster, and Striker.

Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #28 on: 21 January 2020, 16:04:28 »
I think of that more as a really well armored heavy mech.

Insaniac99

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #29 on: 21 January 2020, 16:07:06 »

Rifleman II, Thug, Victor, Zeus, Longbow, Rampage, and Ymir all have at least one variant from the Star league with a movement of 4/6

Register