Author Topic: Stealrh Armor  (Read 1622 times)

agen2

• Captain
  • Il sobillatore.
Stealrh Armor
« on: 22 July 2013, 14:07:36 »
I will be very grateful if someone could explain to me what is the best tactic to use with a lance equipped with SA.
I used it in a game many years ago and to be honest I was not convinced at all.
It may be useful to have a bonus to be hit, but at the price of +10 on the scale of the heat seems exorbitant.
Not to mention that you receive the penalty of ECM.
What mechs are the best, I mean it is best to a light or heavy?
Fast or slow?
Seeking advice and testimonies of your experience.
Thanks in advance.

gunner

• Sergeant
  • Todays a good day to die, YOU FIRST
Re: Stealrh Armor
« Reply #1 on: 22 July 2013, 14:21:40 »
Both fast and slow   light and assault,  However  the unit should have LONG RANGED weapons to make the best use of stealth.  What you should end up with is a sniper type mech, or a support mech armed with LRMs.  I feel the shortest ranged weapon should have a short range of 5+. a Catapult, Viking, or Yeoman  with stealth is a GOOD fire support. they have the range {LRMs} and the stealth helps avoid getting hit even with NO movement modifier.  BUT this I my view of it and how I use it.
Long life through fire superiority
IN range  and ON target  M 60 MG

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
« Reply #2 on: 22 July 2013, 14:31:43 »
Pretty much any unit that has it can benefit from it.  Early Stealth Armor designs were far from perfect.  Outright horrendous in some cases.  The stealth Pillager is certainly a great example of how awesome it can be on an assault much.  Find some good terrain to snipe from and it makes it Light mech like TNs to hit you at long and medium range.  There is also a Marauder that features TSm and Stealth to get the added benefit of extra heat.  Several different missile boats also are out that feature Stealth as well.  The tactics are relative to the force you use, but always remember you can always turn it off if they get to short range so the extra heat is not a drag.

snewsom2997

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 22 July 2013, 15:31:45 »
As hidden units and backstabbers. For a stand up fight, I would prefer, no stealth armor and the ability to use more weapons. For a mech, like say a Phoenix Hawk with a Snub Nosed PPC or Reg PPC and Capacitor, it seems stealth Armor was made for that.

agen2

• Captain
  • Il sobillatore.
« Reply #4 on: 23 July 2013, 09:01:16 »
Thanks.

Col Toda

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 25 July 2013, 10:32:23 »
Medium class and fast seems to be best .  Had a Cicada 8 /12 / 8  that had an ER large laser and Stealth armor with a targeting computer .  Ran 12 fired at long range and had 2 spaces of movement to get into woods and or partial cover .  That is a +10 or better modifier vs your +6 to hit an enemy .  Much of everything else runs along like lines .

idea weenie

• Major
Re: Stealth Armor
« Reply #6 on: 25 July 2013, 12:59:00 »
What I wish had been done with stealth armor, is saying each point of heat you generate over the initial 10 counts as a penalty against the stealth rating.  Essentially if you are putting out massive heat, the stealth capability is overwhelmed.

Battlemech Ninjas at that point, each trying to keep their heat low, but if they aren't going to be observed (or will one-turn kill the target) they open fire with everything.

(Now I'm getting mental images of Mechs walking on tip-toes, with a black face mask, and carrying a HPPC with capacitor.)
« Last Edit: 05 January 2014, 14:54:45 by idea weenie »

CloaknDagger

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 25 July 2013, 17:29:21 »
Stealth Armor + Assault Mech + Gauss Rifles = FUN

Register