Poll

Which Unit type makes for the best drones?

Combat Vehicles
4 (36.4%)
Areospace Fighters
6 (54.5%)
Mechs
1 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Author Topic: Which Unit type is best for use with Robotic/Drone systems?  (Read 249 times)

Izzy193

• Warrant Officer
Now we know and some of us love Robotic systems and Done OS. what I'd like to know is which platform type do you usually install such systems on.

Mechs, Combat Vehicles or Areospace Fighters? Please state you're reason why you'd go for the one you picked over the others, you have to pick one.

I have a vauge idea of which one I would pick, which will you pick?

AlphaMirage

• Major
Re: Which Unit type is best for use with Robotic/Drone systems?
« Reply #1 on: 08 April 2024, 12:48:14 »
I picked Aerospace because quantity is so important to Fighter ops particularly in space and you don't have to worry about the meat bag inside

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
« Reply #2 on: 08 April 2024, 17:16:43 »
Now we know and some of us love Robotic systems and Done OS. what I'd like to know is which platform type do you usually install such systems on.

Mechs, Combat Vehicles or Areospace Fighters? Please state you're reason why you'd go for the one you picked over the others, you have to pick one.

I have a vauge idea of which one I would pick, which will you pick?

Small Support Vehicles for the win!  From your choices, I will grudgingly accept Combat vehicles.
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #3 on: 08 April 2024, 17:34:52 »
Misspelled or otherwise, ASF are VERY versatile, and can operate where they can completely deny your planned ground engagement.

DevianID

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 09 April 2024, 00:11:11 »
While the Macross Plus fan in me wants drone Aerospace fighters, I just dont play aerospace enough.

The 'SLDF with Drone defenders' in HBS battletech really stuck with me though.  Like, a big beef I have with ground vehicles, especially hovercraft, is losing crew in campaign games.  As soon as immobilized, the crew are dead the next turn baring some crazy circumstance, and BOY did crew costs wrack up trying to play a vehicle campaign.  But robotic vehicles lets me march many Pegasus hover tanks to their doom, without feeling bad about sending a dozen crew to their death each time a Pegasus Lance engages in close contact.  That, in turn, lets the experienced crew wrack up XP from longer ranged tanks, while the Pegasus team runs interference with no fear of casualties.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #5 on: 09 April 2024, 03:38:04 »
While I love me some swarms of tiny killer drones, I had to vote for aerospace.

Because aerospace fighters are the only ones that by the rules can use the shielded version of the smart robotic control system, and if you have to pick one form of robotic drone, pick the one that won't get scrambled by ECM.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

PuppyLikesLaserPointers

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 09 April 2024, 05:55:04 »
Obviously, although not on the list, it is the mobile structure for robotic unit. As I know it is the only type of unit that does not pays the ridiculous tax of x% of its weight to add those control systems. Sadly it does not says anything for the drone, though.

Other than that, unless you employ a houserule that removes stupid weight requirement for drones and robotics as well as susceptible against ECM, it's aerospace - for it is the only type that is able to pick the shielded version of robotic controller.

FortunateOmen

• Recruit
« Reply #7 on: 22 April 2024, 21:46:21 »
Would a LAM enable use of Shielded Robot Systems?
It has an ASF mode after all.Which should allow it to be Shielded in Mech or Airmech Modes too.

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 23 April 2024, 16:45:24 »
I can't really say which one is best to be used of those 3.  However, I would say which sub-type is best for each one.

For ASF, go with Light.  Keeps it cheap and easy to build in quantity.

For CVs, go with Tread.  PSRs are almost not a thing for them, and they aren't as easily immobilized.  I've used Drone J. Edgars, and they ended up running in to Level Changes more often than not.  Keep them in the lighter ranges, and you have a cheap system.

For Mechs, go with Quads.  The benefits to staying standing up is important to counter the lack of skill DOS brings to the table really needs the stability.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem