Author Topic: Battleforce Questions: Unloading MAS BA & NARC IF  (Read 2385 times)

LordVanquish

• Corporal
Battleforce Questions: Unloading MAS BA & NARC IF
« on: 13 September 2018, 06:41:10 »
Hey Guys, two quick Questions:

What MAS modifier applies on the turn you unload MAS-equipped BA from a transport? +3 because technically they didn't move a hex? Neither the MAS section nor the Transport section said anything about that as far as i could tell.

Also do i need a spotter if i want to indirectly fire at a NARCd element? You didn't need one in TW but I didn't find a corresponding rule in BF.

The Purist

• Warrant Officer
Re: Battleforce Questions: Unloading MAS BA & NARC IF
« Reply #1 on: 13 September 2018, 13:35:43 »
Well,... it may be how you read MAS/LMAS rules on page 350. The Battle Force "Conversion:" sub-parargraph contains a complete sentence separate from Mechs that states:

Battle armour camo systems are considered "Light" MAS; +2 for zero hexes moved, +1 for 1 hex moved

So Battle Armour with MAS appear to actually be LMAS Elements/Units.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

For S/CNARC the rule on page 352 notes the target lite up by a NARC Beacon takes 1 additional point of damage from IF, LRM or SRM for the rest of the game, barring ECM bubbles. No help there so reference to the IF rules appear in order.

The IF rules back on page 225 require a spotter for IF. There does not appear to be any rule removing this in either the IF conversion rule on page 349 or S/NARC conversion rule on page 351. So,.... yes it looks like a spotter is necessary but you get inflict more damage
« Last Edit: 13 September 2018, 13:39:19 by The Purist »
Words ought to be a little wild for they are the assault of thought upon the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

"...Remember also the two "prime directives" in playing BattleTech:
1. HAVE FUN
2. DON'T LET YOURSELF GET SO CAUGHT UP IN THE RULES THAT YOU STOP HAVING FUN"
Page 168 - Reunification War

LordVanquish

• Corporal
« Reply #2 on: 14 September 2018, 05:37:04 »
Thanks for pointing out my mistake, but that doesn't actually answer my question. Unless you were implying that my assumption was correct and the "zero hexes moved" modifier applies on the turn you unload them, just for LMAS instead of MAS.

Dang so I didn't miss anything, you really need a spotter for NARC in BF. Eliminates much of the advantage of NARC over TAG, but if I understood it correctly all ammunition types benefit form NARC, even Semi-Guided, so you can use NARC and TAG benefits on the same attack.

Thanks for the reply

Edit:
Just checked the MAS conversion rules again, BA with mimetic armor get the full MAS special, the rule you quoted is referring to the camo system as described in TW, page 128.
« Last Edit: 14 September 2018, 07:22:16 by LordVanquish »

The Purist

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #3 on: 14 September 2018, 09:39:39 »
Thanks for pointing out my mistake, but that doesn't actually answer my question. Unless you were implying that my a :)ssumption was correct and the "zero hexes moved" modifier applies on the turn you unload them, just for LMAS instead of MAS....

Ah, yes,... I agree, the +2 or +3 would appear to apply if all you do is unload.

Edit:
Just checked the MAS conversion rules again, BA with mimetic armor get the full MAS special, the rule you quoted is referring to the camo system as described in TW, page 128.

There ya go. I haven't TW here in the gulf but the only question I would have is whether there is a difference betwixt TW (BT) and BF. I have played far more BF, SBF ad ACS than AS or BT.
Words ought to be a little wild for they are the assault of thought upon the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

"...Remember also the two "prime directives" in playing BattleTech:
1. HAVE FUN
2. DON'T LET YOURSELF GET SO CAUGHT UP IN THE RULES THAT YOU STOP HAVING FUN"
Page 168 - Reunification War