Author Topic: Salutes?  (Read 5602 times)

RolandHTG

• Recruit
Salutes?
« on: 18 October 2019, 14:23:49 »
Given the various cultural influences on the Federated Suns, do AFFS members salute palm down, American style, or palm facing, British/Commonwealth style?

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Re: Salutes?
« Reply #1 on: 21 October 2019, 11:38:20 »
FedCom was palm up?  I think the Marians do the fist to the chest . . . Kuritans bow?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #2 on: 21 October 2019, 16:00:55 »
The Marians don't do the "Ave Cesar!" thing made so unpopular by that 20th century political party I'm avoiding mentioning to steer clear of Rule 4?

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #3 on: 21 October 2019, 16:26:40 »
i would presume the Fedsuns used the british style "palm forwards" variety, while the Lyrans use the slightly-tilted-palm-down style used by Germany currently. during the Fedcom days they probably accepted either, depending on the troop's origin.

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 21 October 2019, 18:00:26 »
FedCom was palm up?  I think the Marians do the fist to the chest . . . Kuritans bow?

There’s a couple reference to Kuritans doing a clenched fist brought up across the chest to shoulder in the early William Keith books.
I’ve always envisioned Davions saluting in the RL Commonwealth style - palm out to show you’re empty handed. Ie: the correct way to salute, don’t let these damn Yanks try and tell you different

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #5 on: 22 October 2019, 00:12:20 »
Lyrans raise their fist, index and pinky fingers extended.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Cavgunner

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 22 October 2019, 00:19:33 »
Lyrans raise their fist, index and pinky fingers extended.

Ok, someone with photoshop skills needs to alter the Steiner logo immediately.

Pat Payne

• Lieutenant
  • 352nd Combat Group -- Ex cinis ad astra
« Reply #7 on: 22 October 2019, 15:09:51 »
The traditional Andurien salute to the Captains-General is one finger. Guess which one.  ;D

Seriously, I'd think that House Davion would do the British-style salute, given that a large part of their cultural identity comes from that region.

For Kurita? I'd think a bow for formal occasions, but in a military setting, they'd use salutes. Both the IJN and the JASDF, if I'm not mistaken, use military salutes except in formal occasions.

The one I don't know about is the FWLM, especially pre-reform. Since they had a multiplicity of different uniforms, maybe they had a variety of different ways of (and attitudes on) saluting depending on the particular province? I could see the Marik Commonwealth, for instance using a salute used in the Balkans/Hungary/Romania/Bulgaria/central-south-eastern Europe, for instance, and Regulus using a Commonwealth-style salute (as per their heavy Indian character)

The Marians don't do the "Ave Cesar!" thing made so unpopular by that 20th century political party I'm avoiding mentioning to steer clear of Rule 4?

While that would definitely be something the fanboy rulers of the Hegemony would do, I'm sure that the real-world devs didn't need the headache of having to say "no, they're emulating a different ruthless empire, stop shunning us!" every time that would be brought up...
« Last Edit: 22 October 2019, 15:15:04 by Pat Payne »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #8 on: 22 October 2019, 18:27:33 »
Asterix got away with it, but it probably helped that the author was using actual Romans... What did the Renegade Legion system use?

VhenRa

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 26 October 2019, 05:09:12 »
Comguards in one of the early Twilight of the Clans novels are noted as saluting palm out Commonwealth style... and this is specifically mentioned from POV of Morgan Hasek-Davion, which I would take as the FedSuns not using it.

Its also noted to be the standard for the Comguards and before that the SLDF.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #10 on: 27 October 2019, 17:11:38 »
I’ve always envisioned Davions saluting in the RL Commonwealth style - palm out to show you’re empty handed. Ie: the correct way to salute, don’t let these damn Yanks try and tell you different

British Left Handed or American Right Handed?  :D ;D 8)

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #11 on: 27 October 2019, 21:56:42 »
British Left Handed or American Right Handed?  :D ;D 8)

TT

Maybe just the Boy Scouts’ version?

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

killgore444

• Recruit
« Reply #12 on: 19 November 2019, 03:49:51 »
Given the various cultural influences on the Federated Suns, do AFFS members salute palm down, American style, or palm facing, British/Commonwealth style?
One of the early warrior books had a reverence to the Lyran salute as being different than Davion, but I can't remember which was which.
It also mentioned the CC salute was Lyran style so as not to be seen as copying the Fed Suns. :P
Of course, I haven't reread those books in a decade, and I lost the first in the series back in the early 90s.

daddy_pig

• Recruit
« Reply #13 on: 03 January 2020, 09:28:49 »
I believe in "Wolves on the Border" it describes the Kuritan Salute as hand across the chest.