Author Topic: Size of a Standard SLDF Infantry Division?  (Read 1901 times)

Croix129

• Corporal
Size of a Standard SLDF Infantry Division?
« on: 15 December 2019, 01:57:13 »
Hello all, I'm trying to figure out the exact size of the various SLDF military units (ie Divisions, Brigades, Regiments, ex ex) and reconcile it with the stated number of over 100 million SLDF soldiers at the start of the Star League Civil war, but am running into some trouble. While the Wikia sources are quite though in the sizes of the 'Mech units (ie four 'Mechs to a lance, so one can use that to figure out the sizes of the larger 'Mech units), there's no real details on the regular infantry forces that would make up the bulk of the SLDF ground forces.

Even going with the largest standard size of current military divisions (25,000 according to Wikipedia) and multiplying it by the total number of divisions (486), I only get to 12,150,000; very far away from around 100 million. So either the bulk of the SLDF forces weren't organized in divisions or their divisions were much larger than modern/historical military divisions. So are there any existing sources on the size of SLDF infantry divisions, or any other infantry units?

dgorsman

• Captain
Re: Size of a Standard SLDF Infantry Division?
« Reply #1 on: 15 December 2019, 05:11:18 »
6804 (5103 for jump) per FM:SLDF and LoT 1.  Keep in mind "soldier" may include reserves and non-combat (e.g. logistics, recruitment offices) as well.  Don't forget the ground aero wings, artillery, and such attached at the division level.  And the armor formations which are almost entirely unlisted.
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 15 December 2019, 06:35:33 »
Also there is the Navy to consider, as well, The non-combatant servicemen/women will make up the largest share of the SLDF.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Robroy

• Lieutenant
  • Not named, but not gone. Maybe.
« Reply #3 on: 15 December 2019, 15:34:52 »
I agree with the support personal. I have head that for ever soldier in the field their is ten in support positions.

Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Way (Tao) to survival or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed"-Sun Tzu

"Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence"-Sun Tzu

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #4 on: 15 December 2019, 22:14:11 »
Tooth to tail as they say (Combat MOS to Support MOS) is often 3-9 / Line Soldier.

Infantry Divisions would have 2 Brigades of 3 Regiments which is over 4500 infantry soldiers.

Not counting command units, the 3 Line Mech Regiments, the 3 Mech Battalions (Attached to Division Command & Each Infantry Division), the combat vehicles, artillery, the GAW Ground Aero Wing....

At that point we are easily up over 7000 Combat Troops.   Now tack on the support personnel at 9-1.  So 70K.

And as mentioned the SLDF has the Fleet & also had loads of ground units besides its "Divisions".   Plenty of independent Regiments as well as full Brigades of Infantry/Armor that isn't listed.

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Croix129

• Corporal
« Reply #5 on: 17 December 2019, 15:29:40 »
6804 (5103 for jump) per FM:SLDF and LoT 1.  Keep in mind "soldier" may include reserves and non-combat (e.g. logistics, recruitment offices) as well.  Don't forget the ground aero wings, artillery, and such attached at the division level.  And the armor formations which are almost entirely unlisted.

Doing the math though, that's only 3.3 million active soldiers (ie 6804 x the 486 divisions mentioned at the start of the Civil war). That's an INCREDIBLY small army, especially in a time where humanity numbers in the trillions. Even if there's double the number of support staff around them, that's what, 9 or 10 million. Still very small.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #6 on: 17 December 2019, 17:07:39 »
That isn't the entire military.

And Support Staff isn't 2-1 in any military.   Traditionally its 9-1.   Sometimes it is cut back to 3-1.   But more likely higher than that.

Also, as was mentioned, 486 Divisions is NOT the total # of line troops in the SLDF by a long shot.

That is the Divisions that had Mechs attached to them.

You've got loads of Tank & Infantry brigades not included in that figure that are deployed as Garrison troops.

Even then the 100 Million is just the SLDF.  Not House or Planetary level troops.

That doesn't include Planetary Militia units that are created by the Nobles/Government of individual planets.

These can range from a Single Regiment of Grunts to multiple Divisions of Infantry/Tanks with small #s of Mechs as well.

Even someone as lowly as a Baron of XYZ continent might have a Regiment of Infantry, Battalion of Light Armor/APCs, & a Mech Lance as part of his personal guard.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 18 December 2019, 12:45:35 »
Also, the Star League era is basically the most peaceful time in the history of man.  Militaries never make up as big a % of the population in peacetime as they do in wartime.  For reference, the US military was something like 11% of the US population during the height of WWII (IIRC, it's been a while since I looked at the relevant numbers), whereas today it's circa .66%.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!