Author Topic: 'Dam and Lake' map (now (1 Sept) with 'Dam Valley' map downstream as well)  (Read 5379 times)

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
Sorry for the delay, but I've finally got it done. As requested on a previous poll, I've now made a 64x68 "Dam and Lake" board.

64x68 Dam and Lake.board
(Click to embiggen)

Bonus points go to the first person to skid a vehicle or 'mech off the dam. And double bonus for the first to push another unit off the dam and into the water.

The lake is, at its deepest, depth 6 water, with the dam being 7 levels high. The dam comes with a gun emplacement at each end, and a pair of fortress-class towers, for mounting anti-air and other defensive weapons, and the dam's surface is treated as prepared positions for infantry. I may have been remembering The Dambusters a little. Across the bottom of the map is a major road, with a bridge over the dam's outflow, and a rest area to the east. Two more minor roads run around the sides of the lake, connecting at the top by way of a smaller bridge, with occasional viewpoints looking out over the lake. At the east end of the dam are the maintenance facilities, while to the north-west of the lake is a small settlement. There are also two small farms with orchards to the west of the lake. There is also a small island, on which is a hotel, looking out over the lake.

As usual with my maps, the hills are liberally covered in scattered woods (either because I'm British, and used to that, or just a general tendency to produce 'European-style' maps), although there are gaps between which ensure that the terrain is not entirely impassable for ground vehicles.

Tactical considerations when fighting north/south for defenders would be how to divide forces between east and west, as most ground units would have to remain on their starting bank. When fighting east/west, the crossing points would become choke points, with the dam becoming especially important if the bridges are taken out (although jumping 'mechs can obviously skip over the river feeding the lake from the north. Because of the woods, it's quite likely that combat will become a series of ambushes and attacks taking advantage of gaps in the woods, although the lighter-wooded west bank might offer some.

There is a possibility that I'll make another one, with a gap in the dam and the resulting lower lake level, given that there were some requests for that.

(And I've been continually adding an extra 'n' to the end of dam, then having to delete it.)

Hope y'all like it!
« Last Edit: 01 September 2020, 19:15:51 by Simon Landmine »
"That's Lieutenant Faceplant to you, Corporal!"

Things that I have learnt through clicking too fast on 'Move Done' on MegaMek: Double-check the CF of the building before jumping onto it, check artillery arrival times before standing in the neighbouring hex, and don't run across your own minefield.

"Hmm, I wonder if I can turn this into a MM map."

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
Re: 'Dam and Lake' map
« Reply #1 on: 20 February 2020, 17:59:55 »
Damn that's a good looking map ;)
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker
New Units and RAT's aren't added until after the 2 month release moratorium is passed.
Join the official MegaMek Discord

servo01

• Corporal
« Reply #2 on: 20 February 2020, 21:10:27 »
Outstanding work, as always.

Always exciting to get the latest from our resident cartographer!

Can't wait to give the PBIs a few jet skis and then send them all off to a watery grave.

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #3 on: 20 February 2020, 22:03:59 »
I will 100% be using this at some point for one of my campaigns. Thank you for your hard work as always.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

McSlayer

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 20 February 2020, 22:21:22 »

Hope y'all like it!

Love it, why can't I download it?
You might not live more than once, better make it good.

I was born 6-gun in my hand, Behind a gun I'll make my final stand, That's why they call me... Bad Company...

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
« Reply #5 on: 21 February 2020, 06:09:33 »

Cheers!

Outstanding work, as always.
Always exciting to get the latest from our resident cartographer!
Can't wait to give the PBIs a few jet skis and then send them all off to a watery grave.

Thanks. Let me know how it goes!

I will 100% be using this at some point for one of my campaigns. Thank you for your hard work as always.

See above. [grin] Hope it works out!

Love it, why can't I download it?

As for that, I have no idea. Sorry!

Things that I have learnt through clicking too fast on 'Move Done' on MegaMek: Double-check the CF of the building before jumping onto it, check artillery arrival times before standing in the neighbouring hex, and don't run across your own minefield.

yukamichi

• Corporal
« Reply #6 on: 21 February 2020, 07:19:54 »
Dam, that's cool!

Is that little pinwheel road/pavement structure in the lower left corner modeled after anything specific? It's pretty striking.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 21 February 2020, 08:03:49 »
Now if only MM could deal with damn breaches and flooding lol

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
« Reply #8 on: 21 February 2020, 09:38:11 »

:facepalm: I was slow this morning.

Is that little pinwheel road/pavement structure in the lower left corner modeled after anything specific? It's pretty striking.

Thanks. And not that I can consciously recall, although there may be somewhere in my subconscious. I was just trying to think of something that would work as a small cluster of houses. Headcanon was that each area of pavement was the parking for the adjoining buildings, with each of the five pavement-and-adjoining-building combinations being under different ownership, which is why each is slightly separate from its neighbours. Sort of a small and exclusive housing estate.

Now if only MM could deal with damn breaches and flooding lol
Heh. I think there might be a few items higher up the wishlist than that quite specific request. :-) This weekend I'll probably have a go at a 'post-breach' version of the map, though (and maybe rubble some of the buildings, too, and maybe some of the woods), for those who like the idea of fighting somewhere where war has already passed through.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 21 February 2020, 11:18:17 »
TacOps has rules for flooding, though I don't know how hard it would be to code. Need to get back into it and finish some of the missing weather items such as black ice... Someday.

KuzeFanAcct

• Corporal
« Reply #10 on: 21 February 2020, 12:27:38 »
Oh my lord that is beautiful.

I wish I could blow it up to 1.75" hexes and print it out to use with my Heroscape hexes. Definitely gonna try it out today.

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
« Reply #11 on: 21 February 2020, 16:51:03 »
Oh my lord that is beautiful.

I wish I could blow it up to 1.75" hexes and print it out to use with my Heroscape hexes. Definitely gonna try it out today.

Cheers!

For blowing up, I'm not sure what the 'zoom in' limit on MM is, but if you load the board for a battle in MegaMek, then zoom in as far as possible and do a 'Save As Image' on the board, you might well end up with something that would survive being scaled up until the hexes are the size that you need.

Most of the credit for the appearance should go to Saxarba, whose hex icon set was used for the rendering.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #12 on: 21 February 2020, 19:07:14 »
Beautiful work as always, but I have to say, I think you need a little more in the way of underwater level changes to represent the old riverbed.

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
« Reply #13 on: 21 February 2020, 19:26:02 »
Beautiful work as always, but I have to say, I think you need a little more in the way of underwater level changes to represent the old riverbed.

Fair comment.

I think I might have been thinking too much of glaciated valley reservoirs, rather than river-eroded valleys, but I suppose the valley's a bit short to properly get that style across. (It's also why the in-flowing rivers are a bit too small to have carved a valley that size.)

It does mean that there's a risk of a "Daryk edition" of the map this weekend, too. :-)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #14 on: 21 February 2020, 19:32:58 »
I would be more than honored by that, thanks!  :thumbsup:

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
« Reply #15 on: 21 February 2020, 21:07:48 »
Bosh, as some would say. As requested, a version of the map with a more gradual change to the lake bed.

64x68 Dam and Lake - Daryk Edition

Next stop, "there's a hole in my dam, dear Liza ..."

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
« Reply #16 on: 21 February 2020, 22:15:07 »
And, as also requested, a version with a slight hole in the dam ... There's probably a further obstruction downstream, as the valley below the dam has backed up somewhat, while the lake level has dropped about twelve meters.

64x68 Dam and Lake - Breached
(Click to enlarge)

(Please let me know if I've made any egregious mistakes, as it's about 3am here, and I should probably get some sleep.)

Iceweb

• Warrant Officer
  • Lyran Engineer
« Reply #17 on: 21 February 2020, 22:34:05 »
All of them look amazingly gorgeous. 

As for breaching the dam, I wonder if MegaMek could be coded to load a different map upon the destruction of a given building?  It could just copy over all units over to the next map.  (Not sure if it could deal with falling distance or displacement due to water suddenly being there or not there.)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #18 on: 22 February 2020, 04:37:45 »
Awesome work as always Simon, thanks!  :thumbsup:

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
« Reply #19 on: 22 February 2020, 22:41:43 »
Both of these are added.
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker
New Units and RAT's aren't added until after the 2 month release moratorium is passed.
Join the official MegaMek Discord

bearnoceros

• Recruit
« Reply #20 on: 23 February 2020, 19:43:48 »
This is beautiful work! Thank you for sharing it!

bearnoceros

• Recruit
« Reply #21 on: 24 February 2020, 10:03:57 »
Maybe a dumb question, but is there a spot that collects your maps for download, Simon?

Sorry... new here. :)

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #22 on: 24 February 2020, 10:23:27 »
A lot of the community map content ends up in Megamek provided its not buggy.

This map:
Both of these are added.

Though they wont show up until the next MM release is up.

bearnoceros

• Recruit
« Reply #23 on: 24 February 2020, 10:28:45 »
Awesome! Thanks, Pheonix!

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
« Reply #24 on: 24 February 2020, 13:35:04 »
Maybe a dumb question, but is there a spot that collects your maps for download, Simon?

Sorry... new here. :)

a) Welcome!
b) Every so often I tend to collect them all up in a .zip file and chuck them over to the MM team for adding to the archive, if Hammer hasn't already scooped them up (which it appears he has). They're in the /unofficial/DFL folder (previous username) - I tend to make 32x34, some 64x68, and the 30x15 'Valley' ones are mine, too - but there aren't that many of mine which aren't already in the distro.

bearnoceros

• Recruit
« Reply #25 on: 25 February 2020, 11:03:51 »
Truly beautiful work, Simon.

Thank you for making this incredible game even better.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #26 on: 25 February 2020, 11:58:23 »
Nice job!

Is possible to have 2nd map thats "South" of the dam.  Before and after the flood?   :D
« Last Edit: 25 February 2020, 12:01:11 by Wrangler »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
« Reply #27 on: 25 February 2020, 20:02:30 »
As for breaching the dam, I wonder if MegaMek could be coded to load a different map upon the destruction of a given building?  It could just copy over all units over to the next map.  (Not sure if it could deal with falling distance or displacement due to water suddenly being there or not there.)

Might be theoretically possible, although there are probably a lot more things higher up the dev list. Also, I confess I 'cheated' with the dam, and it's made up of pavement-topped terrain hexes rather than buildings. Although the concept might be extended to the lowering of a hex by applying a certain amount of damage. It's probably more something for a GM to apply manually, though.

Nice job!
Is possible to have 2nd map thats "South" of the dam.  Before and after the flood?   :D

Cheers! And it's theoretically possible, although it will depend on my coming up with enough landscape idea to fill it! I'll add it to my list, though!

Schugger

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #28 on: 26 February 2020, 04:20:30 »
"It's a mother, beautiful dam - and it's gonna be there!"
*BOOM!*
"See what sending out out them negatives waves did , Moriarty?"
"Shit!"
"What?"
"Clanners!"
"No!"
"Yep."
"Shit!"

Windchild

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #29 on: 26 February 2020, 15:28:10 »
@Iceweb
It currently isn't, but it could be done. A quick version would be ignoring any potential issues, which would put the onus on the map maker to ensure the two maps were identical outside of a small region.

Actually, that shouldn't be that hard, assuming you can just rewrite the map and leave the units alone (I've only looked at the editor side of things for the MegaMek maps, but I think it uses the same underlying code)
« Last Edit: 26 February 2020, 15:31:13 by Windchild »
MegaMek Developer - MekHQ, Personnel, and Internal Focus
MegaMek Discord
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker