Author Topic: Hidden Hope (Golden Lion AU, Part 4)  (Read 22933 times)

AlphaMirage

• Major
Re: Hidden Hope (Golden Lion AU, Part 4)
« Reply #30 on: 17 May 2023, 07:24:18 »
08/07/3051
An immense figure walked through the quiet corridors within the Union-C(entury) CGB Lazuk to its infirmary, a pentagonal patch on his upper arm showed a red cross, three white stripes, and below it a ‘Paramedic’ patch. Two pairs of beds, one massive and one smaller were built into the walls with arcane assemblies of wires and tubes coiled just outside.

Sitting at the bench opposite was a woman with a similar pentagonal patch, although with two blue stripes and ‘Flight Nurse’ patch, pipetted liquids into vials, capped them, finally stacking them neatly onto a metal tray crammed awkwardly on a bench dominated by a purring centrifuge and steaming autoclave.

“Marco, the only reason you should be interrupting me is if one of your fellow Elementals cut their arm off while playing with a Claymore.”
“The Aketon should prevent that quiaff?”
“It is meant to stop spall, low caliber bullets, and small thrusting blades, not a Claymore.”
“Is the Doctor in Marika?”
“No, he is on a house call to Astrapolis. Working his ‘bedside’ manner or so he says, while I am doing all the work,”
she locked in the auto-sampling tray into a machine beside her, “as usual.
What did you want to talk to him about?”

“I thought we were to limit our exposure to the Rounders. Yet the Warriors are out there every day near them and have taken their quarters.”
“I appreciate the quiet of their absence. We all got our shots. Columbus was a pathology goldmine. Everyone in Medical Command rested much easier once that endeavor was complete.
Are you afraid the Vipers will ruin the whole thing with their obsession of ‘purity’?”

“Of course, I am concerned that the Vipers will ruin everything. The Ghost Bears did not need a partner, we are the mightiest of the Clans.”
“The Vipers believe the same. That is why we are paired with them out of all the worse choices.”

A ding from the sampling machine caught Marika and Marco’s attention. The Elemental looked over her shoulder. She parsed the interface to see a blood sample had a hit on the mitochondrial DNA that determined bloodnames.

‘Kell, Phelen, MechWarrior Bondsman.’

“Marika, you should tell the Star Commander about this.”
“I will wait for it to finish and run it again. Vasily will need to consult the Khan, perhaps even the Council.”

‘Ward Bloodhouse. Tagged for Annihilation by order of The ilKhan July 3020’

PsihoKekec

• Captain
  • Your spleen, give it to me!
« Reply #31 on: 17 May 2023, 07:30:00 »
Was all of the Wolves sentenced to annihilation or just the Ward bloodline?
Shoot first, laugh later.

georgiaboy

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #32 on: 17 May 2023, 08:46:15 »
More likely is linked to Kerlin Ward being the sponsor/creator of the Wolf Dragoons and their treason after the 3019 resupply.
« Last Edit: 17 May 2023, 13:54:56 by georgiaboy »
"Constructive critism is never a bad comment"
-Me

"By all means marry. If you get a good wife, you'll be happy. If you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher."
- Socrates

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #33 on: 17 May 2023, 13:47:00 »
08/11/3051
Phelen Kell woke to a dim light shining through the reflectors above him on the arched ceiling cruelly mimicking dawn. He sat up then looked around the COMSTAR penitent cell toward the padded metal door with its narrow slot where a meal would occasionally come, its narrow metal camode, and felt his back twinge from the firm cot beneath him. A growl came from his stomach, one of the only certain ways to time his detention. “Two days, maybe, if the light is telling me the truth.”

His loose-fitting white outfit rustled as he stepped barefoot onto the smooth, cool floor.
“I’ve been through worse!

You hear me!

I’ve been through worse!”

The shouts disappeared into the anechoic coatings on the walls, replaced with disquieting silence. Seventh Commando’s SERE course on Outreach had been a living hell, but that was training. If Elissa’s ROM contingent were still down here, in their second week of confinement and hadn’t lost their minds, then they had gained his respect. Or they might be dead, quietly immured in their own concrete barrels below this installation just like he might be, soon.

A new thought sprang from his musings to occupy his mind. Does COMSTAR have anchorites? Members that would willingly isolate themselves from the world to contemplate their place in the universe. Despite their omnipresence he had never actually thought to find out more about them. They just were and seemingly had always been even though the Order was only a few centuries old. Well, those had been long centuries since the fall of the Star League and now Aleksandr Kerensky’s heirs, Clan Ghost Bear at least and who knows how many more, want to bring it back.

He sat on the floor and pulled the chained hardcover of The Word of Blake toward him. “There has to be something about Kerensky in here, he left Jerome Blake in charge after the Exodus.”

Pages and time flew by as Phelen worked his way through the oft obtuse writings of Jerome Blake and Conrad Toyama. The door opened to the outside although a trio of Ghost Bears stood between him and freedom, including MechWarrior Emma with an odd-looking object on her hip, and an older man with a bag and younger man, an Elemental by look but smaller and not a Warrior, he was unfamiliar with. The men each had a pentagonal cross patch on their uniform marked ‘Flight Surgeon’ and ‘Paramedic’ below.

“I have a few questions for you. Get up or I will drag you.”

“Will there be lunch?”

Her face contorted at the remark and her hand reached for the coil at her hip, “Only If you cooperate bondsman. Otherwise, an empty stomach will be the least of your concerns.”

Phelen paid her little attention as he moved the bookmark to his current page, “But this is a good part.”

“Wrong answer bondsman.”

With a fluid motion the neural whip flicked out making everywhere the slender foil touched feel like liquid fire was poured right into his muscles. His cries of pain ablated away onto the wall as he was pulled toward the interrogation room. Phelen winced as the worst of it elapsed as he was shackled to the table.

“Damn!” He breathed deep and focused on relaxing his spasms, “You bitch. I thought the Star League outlawed neural whips, even the Capellan Confederation doesn’t use them.”

She stood opposite him and put the Neural Whip just outside his view on the metal table between them, “We are not the Star League, and this device was ROMs.
Our version can seek for and stop your heart. Would you like to see?”

“I think I’ll pass.”

“Explain this!”

Emma slapped a copy of MechJock magazine onto the table. The cover story being the formation of the Allied Mercenary Command and modernization efforts of Blackwell Heavy Industries. It featured a full spread of the Kell Hounds (The whole Kell Clan as well as Yorinaga-sama and Akira Brahe), Wolf’s Dragoons (Jaime, Mack, and Maeve), Elders of the Northwind Highlanders, and Brevet-General Ariana Winston of the Eridani Light Horse. A centerfold spilled out from Emma’s sudden violence showing a naked Japanese woman covered by just a fan beside a forest lake.

“I read it for the articles.
What are you, my mom?”
“Actually, your mother, is suddenly a very relevant part of you to us.”

If it were possible, he would have scratched his forehead at the curious statement, “I don’t understand.”
“No, you would not.” She pointed toward her name patch on the uniform, “I do not possess a bloodname yet, but somehow you have potential claim to one. The Ward Bloodname, a former owner of which built the Dragoons and sent them to the Inner Sphere. To spy on your kind.”

“My mother was a Ward. What are you talking about with the Dragoons?
Spies, I don’t believe you.”

“You do not need to believe in the truth for it to still be true. They were spies for many years before Kerlin Ward betrayed the Clans and ordered them to prepare for our eventual arrival.

We found out about it then ended him and his line because as our Founder once said, ‘Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness.’”

“What does that mean for me?”

“That remains to be determined but know that two Clans died in that struggle so that the rest could live. We have spent almost two generations rebuilding what was destroyed by the Wolves and we will not stop until the Star League had returned under our control and the Dragoons have been destroyed.

Courtesy of your Hounds we have confirmed that the Dragoons have indeed betrayed us, so our retribution will be righteous.”

“How have the Dragoons betrayed you?”
“This advanced technology that your machines are equipped with, that the Dragoons claimed was theirs. It was ours first. The Clans developed the improved versions of your weapons centuries ago.”

“Everything was developed with the NAIS.”
“You can believe that boy, but you are mistaken.”

Now tell me what they are planning!”

“I don’t know!”

“Wrong answer.”
She reached over to the neural whip

PsihoKekec

• Captain
« Reply #34 on: 17 May 2023, 14:27:03 »
These are quite different Clans compared to OTL. I wonder which was the other Clan to perish, Coyotes?

Gorgon

• Warrant Officer
  • The little duchy that could
« Reply #35 on: 17 May 2023, 15:09:36 »
Falcons, perhaps? Underbidding for a chance to wipe out the Wolfs only to end up dead themselves?
Jude Melancon lives!

namar13766

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #36 on: 17 May 2023, 20:31:59 »
Ah, there's the Clanner Dark I was expecting.

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #37 on: 17 May 2023, 21:31:45 »
Chapter 3 – Cry Wolf
08/14/3051

A Ghost Bear Elemental kept watch from their perch within the bell tower his rangefinder binoculars collecting starlight then amplifying it to see almost as well as daylight. COMSTAR’s compound had a large easement but the solar panel arrays provided to much cover limiting sightlines. He dipped the binoculars to look at the sledgehammer beside him, part of an un-jammable warning signal that could be heard just outside where a pair of Omnimechs waited.

“To much cover. Why could I not smash them Star Commander?”

He breathed deep and squatted down bringing his Mauser IIC to his lap, “Not like there is any threat left out there. I did not train for years on Bearclaw to be a prison guard like some common freeborn.
Soon I will be able to rip through plates, tear hatches off, and rend ferroglaz to see their fear. It will be glorious.”

An oily black shape slipped through solar arrays then executed a running jump over the perimeter fence. It clung to pieces of statuary and blended into wall decorations and tapestries like a chameleon as Ghost Bears walked past it through the abandoned corridors of the monastery. The armory was empty as were most of the functional rooms and outlying buildings according to his HUD. Raucous laughter came from the refectory where a squad of Elementals sat around a table. Two fully armored Elementals waited outside the main entrance to the HPG Sanctum, problematic but anticipated, and maybe manageable. He avoided the cloister where the Kell Hounds had been encamped for two weeks and went into the penitent cells and interrogation room. “No guards in the prison, what a welcome surprise.”

Something surprising was found in the interrogation room. A dull metal security keycard had been left behind on the table, “How dumb are these Bears?” Along with a neural whip, “Sorry comrades, I needed a new moon, and for them to drop their guard.”

His armored fingertips turned all the lights up and inserted the keycard into its slot. He hoped that when he wiped his ID from the roster it didn’t register on ROM’s closed system. If they didn’t know he existed they couldn’t remove his access codes.
“Adept Rho Twelve Yuri Vulkan, ROM Protocol Five Oh Three Alpha White Terminate.”

A synthesized man’s voice responded, “Access granted.”
“Unlock all cells.”

Green lights replaced the red in front of each cell. “Hopefully someone is alive in there.”

Cell 12 loomed before him and Yuri opened it to a young man slamming a metal meal tray into his helmet. “Good to see you too kid.”
“Dmitri?”
“How did you get in here?”

Dmitri activated the camo system and disappeared into the background for a moment before reappearing. “I didn’t need this suit to be invisible, but it helps.”
“That’s amazing.”
“This is just the Omega branch prototype. I’m busting you out, and maybe everyone else makes it too, at least until the Hounds send a rescue team.”
“Kai and Akira should be on the way, but we can’t use the HPG or get on the dropship. The Bears have it and Alpha branch locked down; they’ll kill us.”

Phelen had angry red scars across his arms and ugly bruises peeking through his clothing.
“Better fast then slow don’t you agree?” He produced a disk from a compartment concealed in his armor. “The now Precentor Martial gave me a workaround just in case. Unfortunately it will fry the HPG in the process,” he returned the disk to its armored compartment, “but that’s a Phi branch problem.”

PsihoKekec

• Captain
« Reply #38 on: 18 May 2023, 00:27:25 »
Given how Yuri ultimately failed in his goals in both his appearances so far... I'm having high hopes for him this time  ;D

namar13766

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #39 on: 18 May 2023, 04:22:47 »
I wonder if Phelan will end up going into the WOB in this timeline?

Gorgon

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #40 on: 19 May 2023, 04:34:24 »
Given how Yuri ultimately failed in his goals in both his appearances so far... I'm having high hopes for him this time  ;D

Oh, he may have failed two high profile assignments, but he caused some A grade mayhem along the way like the pro he is. The Bears will get a nice intro to IS style irregular warfare and black ops, I'm sure  ;D
Jude Melancon lives!

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #41 on: 19 May 2023, 16:13:02 »

As long as nobody knows it was COMSTAR they can spin it to their advantage. His efforts did boost the recruitment numbers of ROM (from the ISF).

--

The interrogation room’s bright light dazzled Phelen Kell and the emaciated ROM agents but slid off Dmitri’s opalescent green armor like beads of water. “I know you’ve been through hell, but you’ve survived where eight others didn’t, and we have a job to do.”
“How are we getting out Dmitri?”

“There are maybe a dozen Elementals upstairs and two mechs outside. If we can rally quickly and make a run for it. We’ll get fifteen to thirty minutes head start before they pursue.”

“How are we getting off-world?”

Phelen leaned forward, “We don’t need to get off-world yet, just out of this area until a rescue party arrives.”

“Even if Oberon could send units that would still take weeks, and there is no guarantee that the Bears haven’t dealt with them already.”

“There are shuttles and planes at the Starport. We could use them to evade until Second Regiment arrives. It’s in the Free Rasalhague Republic. We failed to contact them on the third, so they know we are in distress.

Cote doesn’t have enough men to chase us all.

We must escape,”
Phelen looked at his wounds and those of ROM, “or we will just die slower deaths.”

Dmitri put his hand on the helmet sitting on the table, “You heard the kid. Escape or die, those are our options.

I’m not certain my Tornado can take down even one of the lesser armored ones but I’ll try and clear a path so you can reach the workshops and repurpose something there.

I need the armored Elementals away from the HPG sanctum so I can send a message.

Phelen, I want you to watch my back at first, then you and the Hounds should make for the motor pool and see if your pilots can get the shuttles online.”

He looked around and realized that he was in the best condition out of the eight survivors. “I understand.”

“The rest of you, you know what needs to be done, avoid the cloister until I handle the man in the belfry.”
They nodded in grim unison, one of them grabbed the Neural Whip on the table, and they all crept out barefoot into the abyssal night wearing their prison uniforms.

A realization dawned on Phelen, “Dmitri you don’t have a weapon. Are you going to punch him?”
“The camo system cannot disguise stuff I carry, so I don’t normally carry one. I did however bring some options.”

He opened a compartment built in his gauntlet and Phelen saw a spooled garrote wire, the micro-disk, and something else.
“Are those bo-shuriken?”
“Yes, I spent some eventful time in the Draconis Combine. I miss it, things were simpler then.”

They paused and shrunk into shadows as an Elemental strode past them. The giant stopped to put the monstrous Mauser 960 style rifle on his hip, listening intently while looking up at the belfry and moonless sky.

Dmitri disappeared into the shadows adaptive camouflage flickering as it adjusted between lighting conditions. Phelen waited impatiently, almost losing track of him except for the dust disturbed in its wake. A cold shiver crept up his spine if this man could be mouse quiet in a suit. How stealthy could he be outside it?

The shimmer lifted to wrap an almost invisible garotte wire over the Elemental’s neck. Sudden violence disrupted the illusion as the augmented strength lifted the behemoth onto the suit’s back. Despite being strangled the giant slipped the gauntlet on their left hand under the wire.

Their Mauser clattered to the floor as the Elemental let out a bellow and with a flash of blood the Elemental lifted themselves vertical then reached back to grab Dmitri’s armored form, hold him aloft and threw him into a nearby wall like he was a child. The masonry and armor plates cracked as the Elemental stomped toward his attacker.

“You thought you could strangle me?” The Elemental lifted Dmitri’s fallen form to the wall with one arm and was almost helmet to helmet with the Tornado, “I am going to pound you into paste.”

Phelen rushed forward to grab the fallen Mauser. He thought he was strong, but this thing weighed as much as a heavy machine gun. “Why is this thing so damn heavy?” He flipped the side-folding bayonet out, then thrust it into the Elemental’s flanks. As blood rushed out he grimaced, then glared toward him. A sharp side kick knocked him sideways to crash into the concrete with the impact felt deep in his bones.

His fingers reached toward the trigger for the underbarrel grenade launcher; vision blurred with pain, but his target was hard to miss, and his friend had armor but that wasn’t going to be much help against being hit with by the Elemental’s fist.

A half dozen 30mm canisters drove themselves into the Elemental which collapsed from the horrific wounds he had just inflicted. Dmitri smashed the Elementals left arm to free himself and walked toward Phelen’s fallen form. “How did you know they had a safe arming distance?”

“I didn’t. I just wanted to get him in the ribs.”
Phelen said as he caressed his own.
“Well good work kid, I think you may have killed the first Elemental in the Inner Sphere.”

“Yay for me. How are you?”

“I’d just be another old man complaining about his back.”

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #42 on: 19 May 2023, 21:18:02 »

A half dozen 30mm canisters drove themselves into the Elemental which collapsed from the horrific wounds he had just inflicted. Dmitri smashed the Elementals left arm to free himself and walked toward Phelen’s fallen form. “How did you know they had a safe arming distance?”

“I didn’t. I just wanted to get him in the ribs.” Phelen said as he caressed his own.

;D ;D ;D ;D  Nicely written
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #43 on: 19 May 2023, 22:02:28 »
Like a gargoyle an Elemental crouched and peered through range-finding binoculars as he heard a roar below him and brought his rifle up. “I heard something. Barta, get eyes on all roamers.”
“Aff Rhys, Sitrep in five.”

Tense moments passed as he watched the cloister where the Kell Hounds were encamped, everything was still and dark down there, his IR scope registered everyone was accounted for. He looked behind him, the sledgehammer was missing, right until it hit him in the jaw.

Dmitri’s Tornado materialized from the shadows standing over the mess, “If it was good enough for cattle its good enough for these beasts.” He picked up Rhys’ discarded Mauser, passed it down to a waiting ROM member who struggled with the mass before they split it into three weapons, distributing it to his compatriots. “You know what to do.”

Something only recognized by the hammer in its hands disappeared back down the ladder and into the shadows.

In the cloister Phelen looked around the corner and saw that the belfry was clear, even Dmitri was gone but that was to be expected for a guy with chameleon armor. Without the Grenade Launcher and survival kit the laser rifle was stock heavy but surprisingly handy. One of the female Elementals paced the cloister with her weapon readied.

Through his protective goggles he took aim and fired a mostly silent pulse of roughly four kilojoules worth of energy into her. The barrel noticeably heated up despite the built in phase change coolant and heatsink. He retched at the powerful laser rifle’s effect on her head.

Phelen tried not to look as he recovered and separated the rifle into rifle, grenade launcher, and bayonet as ROM had shown him, it was mostly identical to the SLDF’s 960 but built for the larger Elemental’s ergonomics rather than normal people. “Kell Hounds up and at it!”

Captain Wilson was first out of his tent and Phelen tossed him the other rifle. He picked it up and hugged him with his free hand. “How did you get out?” Then he looked at his injuries. “What happened?”
“I had help from ROM and Captain if we live, I’ll tell you. Right now, get to the motor pool and make for the shuttles. The master key codes are,”

He reached into his pocket and pulled out a post-it, “five oh one three eight.
Five oh one three eight.
Shuttle code, Stargazer Prime Assembly Three Oh Niner.
Pass it on, I’m going to try and clear a way.”

Smoke began rising as fires erupted throughout the HPG compound. “Hurry up!”
“Roger that MechWarrior! Good luck.”

Michael started to stomp and shout. “Hounds! Wake up! Get your asses moving! We are getting the hell out of here! On the Double!”

At the HPG Sanctum the Ghost Bear radio net was saturated with multiple reports of aggressors, sabotage, and mayhem throughout the compound. “The Kell Hounds are escaping! Armored units redeploy to the motor pool and stop them.”
“We were told not to leave our position Point Leader.”
“I am giving you new orders. Redeploy and stop them.”
  The Elementals shifted in their armor and looked at one another as they marched down the corridor and toward the motor pool. Heavy machine guns on the left arms readied for action.

A shadow detached itself from the wall as they walked by. Like a magician’s trick, a keycard appeared from the air seemingly swiping itself to open the heavy metal door.

Once he was within the sanctum Dmitri removed his helmet and inserted the EOM disk into the master HPG console. Computer code and stellar coordinates, mapped to the Redcastle ROM base on New Caledonia, scrolled across multiple screens.

“I hope you were fast enough kid.” His fingers snapped across the keyboards typing out his EOM message to Precentor ROM, as prompts and warnings flashed everywhere as his infiltration software slaved the interface to his, and ROM’s will.

He heard a pistol click and a women’s voice behind him, “Yuri, put your hands behind your head, and step away from that console.”

Yuri Vulkan did as asked. He turned to see Precentor Andalo ten paces away holding an auto-pistol to him. Her hair was a mess, face a scowl, nightshift charred and shredded. “Christina.”

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #44 on: 19 May 2023, 22:12:05 »
Oops, has she been brainwashed?
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

PsihoKekec

• Captain
« Reply #45 on: 20 May 2023, 03:56:14 »
Or she really likes her HPG and doesn't want Yuri to fry it.
« Last Edit: 20 May 2023, 08:58:24 by PsihoKekec »

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #46 on: 20 May 2023, 08:25:12 »
To his surprise, his own Sternsnatch Python was pointed at him, “I wondered what happened to it.”
Christina’s aim never wavered as she stepped to the side, “I killed Cara with it after she tried to stab me in my sleep, then I jumped out the window to escape the flames.
I know what you did on Hachiman and Victoria, and a dozen other worlds.”

“The important thing is nobody knows COMSTAR did it.
What’s your plan Precentor?”

“I was thinking about holding you at gunpoint then handing you over to the Ghost Bears and undoing whatever you’ve done afterwards.

Or shooting you in your head now then tell the Ghost Bears after I’ve undone whatever you were trying to do to the HPG.”

“It’s protocol.”
“****** protocol!
I didn’t kill, steal, and sleep my way to Sargasso’s HPG from my slum town when I was thirteen to die on some flyspeck bit of rock for protocol.”

He felt for smooth steel in his right hand, “I always wondered. If they told you. Would it make it easier?”

“Make what easier?”

Yuri flicked a pair of bo-shuriken into Christina’s arm, ducked return fire, then disarmed her and firing a single shot to her head. She collapsed on the floor with a squelch. “What ROM is really here to do.”

Status bars had progressed during his standoff, but they still weren’t ready. Not that it mattered soon it was going to be locked in and nothing was going to stop the end of mission message and a warning to New Caledonia. Yuri clicked ‘enter’ one last time and put his helmet back on to walk back into the uncertain and dark night, then disappeared.

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #47 on: 20 May 2023, 19:41:17 »
Chapter 4 – Coiled and Cornered
08/15/3051

Lake Kroeger was covered with ash and smoke rose from the north as COMSTAR and Astrapolis volunteer firefighters struggled to put out the last of the night’s fires. Kappa and Clan medics tended to dozens of injured and white sheets shrouded the dead recovered from the fire or those that had succumbed. The Ghost Bears were on full alert as a Lion descended and disembarked an identical Binary of black Steel Viper mechs from Psi Galaxy slightly smaller and different than those of the Bears. Following them down the ramp was a Binary of Viper infantry and technicians wheeling VTOLs onto the tarmac.

The commanders of both units met halfway and opened their cockpit canopies to see one another. Even though his Goshawk was slightly smaller than Cote’s Conjurer their cockpits were at the same height. Despite the Vipers mirrored visor Star Commander Vasily Cote just knew that Star Captain Illusha Kearny wore a smug smile on her face. “You seem to have made a fine mess of the place Star Commander.”

Due to their SCBA and accents all vipers lingered on multiple ses although he was certain it was purposeful.

“You think you could have done better Illusha.”
“Obviously Vasily.”
“Elissa was not marked as having an HPG. There were not enough Warriors to control the number of prisoners.”
“A problem that could easily have been solved, by reducing the number of prisoners.
Now Elissa does not have an HPG, thanks to you, and I have more Warriors and fewer prisoners. So, there will be no more difficulties once we have cleaned up your mess.”

Vasily suppressed the urge to draw his pistol and fire it across the way at the Star Captain. “It can be repaired. I will appeal to the Council when I meet with them with the High Visionary.”

“My heart is eased by knowing that you will immediately suffer the consequences of your foolish actions by doing so. My only regret is that I will not be able to deliver it.
Where are these Kell Hounds? Time is of the essence in finding them.”

“One of their shuttles was seriously damaged and we think crash landed nearby.
We lost track of the other one.”

“The Steel Vipers will capture or kill them. Now depart from here with your High Visionary; before your blunders grow into something even Steel Vipers cannot overcome.”

His hand reached for the pistol, but the Ghost Bear raised it in a signal that clearly ended their conversation. He ensured his radio was off as his Conjurer walked off to see Egan Telosa’s Monarch taxiing for launch before he boarded the Lazuk, “Savashri Steel Vipers, needling me on purpose. Once I reach Botany Bay with Telosa, everything will be fine.”

On the tarmac the Airborne Binary prepared to launch, the Vipers slotted their pulse laser rifles and Avenger shotguns into the racks beside them, belted themselves into the Anhurs, facing a mirrored version of themselves across the aisle. These transports and their Donar gunship escorts kicked up dust as they lifted off and began their search.

PsihoKekec

• Captain
« Reply #48 on: 21 May 2023, 08:05:04 »
Seems to me like Vipers are in a dire need of attitude adjustment.

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #49 on: 23 May 2023, 08:10:17 »
Seems to me like Vipers are in a dire need of attitude adjustment.

Many have tried, most have failed.

Interlude – End of Vacation
08/20/3051 | Venus, Sol

Aerostat Nahid ‘flew’ through the clouds like a Manta Ray through water, the massive semi-rigid airship’s flattened form provided lift and control. Hydrogen gas ballonets in the envelope provided additional lift and pitch control through the dense atmosphere isolated by water storage from the breathing gas inside its intricate yet elegantly articulated frame.

Flexible screens within the walls made it seem like Precentor Martial Photon Brett and his wife were on a bed was drifting through the sky together. She brushed up against him then reached around him, “What are we going to do tomorrow?”

He gently caressed her arm, “Keep enjoying our family vacation,” she nuzzled him before drifting back to sleep.

Morning brought a new round of colorful clouds as the Aerostat drifted on the planetary jet stream such that it circled the planet every four days and because it was Thursday that meant they would leave before it would complete another circuit. Photon pointed starboard as his stepson and daughter looked through binoculars at a similar Aerostat resort. “That’s the Sholpan kids.”
Elnara, his ten-year-old daughter dipped the binoculars to look at him, “That’s what our ship looks like on the outside papa?”
“Not quite. Ours is bigger but has less people in it and more pretty things to look at.”
“What do all of those people do if they can’t look at flowers all day?”

Photon looked toward Farah staring at him from their table and pulled on his collar, “You’ll find out when you’re older, by reading about it.”

Another contact blip appeared on the window’s HUD off to port, Photon breathed a sigh of relief, “What’s that one?”
“A floating robotic greenhouse.”
“It’s so small.”
“They are only good for a decade before the coating breaks down from acid rain, but they spend that entire time in sunlight, so the plants grow big and strong. Some of the food we eat might have come from there, but Venus feeds a lot of people throughout the Solar System.”

More people arrived in the restaurant, unlike many of the aerostat resorts the Nahid was invitation only. In this case it meant one needed to be a COMSTAR member to stay aboard it. It was also much tamer than the others with a semi-permanent ROM detachment onboard.

Doctor Rajesh Moreno, Chief of Kappa Branch, was here with his family after giving a presentation on space medicine on Aphrodite Station. Carlos had taken a liking to his daughter Silvia and she him since they were the only people in the same age range onboard. His stepson disappeared and she peeled away to a corner booth with a good view of the clouds outside, he passed her the binoculars and pointed out interesting features he had learned about through the week to impress her. Elnara found it all very interesting and snuck away to listen in on her half-brother’s conversation.

Walking in with the aid of a lower body exoskeleton Doctor Janice Calderon, a Kappa Demi-Precentor, followed by her brother Ian, also a Demi-Precentor but of COMSTAR Space Command. With CSC based above at Aphrodite Station Delta branch officers frequently found their way into the clouds below while on leave with their paramours or families. Since Sol was also COMSTAR’s headquarters members from across the Inner Sphere were always visiting as well and some wanted to experience Venus’ eight day cloud cruise packages for themselves while they undertook their rites.

A woman passed Photon a note and whispered, “you should read this,” into his ear before departing the restaurant. Farah watched her depart with her customary furious passion and almost got up to follow her before he put a hand on her shoulder. “I’m sure its work related, and she wasn’t looking for a hookup with the Precentor Martial and his wife.”

“You never know with this planet. I know what happens here.”
“Venus was the goddess of love and beauty, but she has nothing on you”
Photon dipped down and kissed her now blushing cheek as he unwrapped the note,

‘End of Mission confirmed on Elissa.
Planet invaded by outside, unknown powers.
Be ready for a call from the Primus at Aphrodite Station for consultation on next actions pending additional information.
CS, Dieron’

Farah watched him shred the note, “What was it?”
“Work related, looks like we will have to enjoy the vacation time we have today.
I will be deployed shortly, for possibly a very long time.”

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #50 on: 23 May 2023, 21:20:46 »
08/27/3051
Five motorcycles cut through wide open grasslands and rolling hills where one could take in the musky smell, thunderous sound of hooves, and sight of immense herds of migrating animals reaching out to the horizon. There were almost no paved roads on Elissa but there were seasonal rivers and lakes that along with dirt and paved runways provided landing strips for planes and small shuttles.

A Rim Worlds’ Republic flag flew above the sign marked ‘Sourwater Station’ creaked in the breeze above the gate as the motorcycles pulled under a photovoltaic shade. Their riders dismounted slinging shotguns from their scabbard over their back before plugging the machines into charging ports. Upon seeing the heavily armed riders the man looking over the horses, motorcycles, trucks, and a small helicopter stayed in his rocking chair keeping his hands visible, and off the rifle in his lap.

The saloon bars opened revealing the profile of figures in gray fatigues, boots, and sunglasses with olive drab plate carrier bearing a snake head insignia. On their belt was a stiletto style knife and pistol along with other pouches. Their leader walked past the staring eyes of rough looking and pistol toting stockmen. On the other side of the bar was a man with the look of weathered leather, she took off her sunglasses to reveal graceful brown eyes and a slender tuft of hair slipped out from her shemagh.
“How can I help you young lady?”
“We Steel Vipers require provisions and information.”
“Well, most information is free if you ask nicely, but provisions cost something.”
He looked her over and lingered on her armor and belt, for some reason, “Have you anything to trade?”

Saloon customers looked nervously at the Steel Vipers behind her. She slammed her stiletto deep into the wooden bar top worryingly close to the barkeep’s hand as she drew him toward her by the collar. “Do we look like Merchants to you!”

Customers rose to draw their iron but immediately faced a quartet of automatic shotguns pointed back at them and thought better of it.
“My mistake, please accept my apologies” slipped the barkeep’s lips. She released him to his and the customers relief. “I accept your surkai, but do not make the same mistake again,” she pulled the knife up and pointed it toward him, “or I will take an ear,” then sheathed it.

“Steel Viper? Are you a new plains gang?”
“Neg, Do not mistake us for a gang of Dark Caste. We are Warriors of Clan Steel Viper and seek the escaped Kell Hounds and little else from you.”

They looked around at one another, “Never heard of ‘em.”

She paced around with an Avenger CCW on her hip observed the regulars while two of her men manned the door and another pair searched the premises “Your ignorance is rather convenient considering we tracked their stolen shuttle to this region.

Lots of places to hide on these plains and people willing to help them.

Surely some of you know a few of them and would rather we not stumble upon whatever it is you want to stay hidden in our search or would seek to avoid the punishment we will mete out to their accomplices.”

“We don’t ask questions of folk round here.”

Something about this statement drew the Viper leader to the man who recoiled as she neared him, “Then begin to lean into your inquisitive side.
For your own sake, as well as the others.”

Her knife came out again to carve a radio frequency and ‘Perimeter’ into the wooden paneling to the horror of the barkeep and saloon customers. “If you happen to find out where the Kell Hounds are hiding, this is my number and handle.”

This final display resulted in each customer choosing to pay their tabs and depart. While their provisions were gathered the Steel Vipers enjoyed a hearty lunch of stewed meat and vegetables washed down with glasses of beer at the bar. Each of them received a small satchel, bottle of spirits, and filled canteens. Their leader tied her shemagh and donned her sunglasses once more, “The Steel Vipers look forward to your continued cooperation.”

“Its…my pleasure.”
“As it should be.”

The Vipers departed the Saloon into an empty town square, they looked up at the Rim Worlds’ Republic flag flying above it and then to one another. One of them jogged away then returned with folded flags. They set the RWR flag on fire and raised the Clan Daggerstar and Steel Viper pendant beneath it giving a sharp salute before returning to their motorcycles. Shotguns were returned to their scabbards and maps were pulled out.

“Where are we going to next Diana?”
Diana consulted the topographic map created by their orbiters, “I think South. There are more hills that way, and probably caves they might be hiding in.”
“That is brilliant Team Leader.”
“My mother was a Scientist. Was there any doubt?”

PsihoKekec

• Captain
« Reply #51 on: 24 May 2023, 00:26:20 »
Warrior Diana, mother was scientist, from a clan that absorbed Falcons. Nope, no clue who that might be.

Gorgon

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #52 on: 24 May 2023, 05:30:49 »
I didn't know I needed a Steel Viper motorcycle gang in my life, but apparently, I did!
Jude Melancon lives!

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #53 on: 25 May 2023, 07:46:30 »
I didn't know I needed a Steel Viper motorcycle gang in my life, but apparently, I did!

These kinds of responses are why I love this community. Glad you are all enjoying the story.

08/16/3051
An ST-46 shuttle touched down just as Elissa’s moon Miranda dipped below the horizon and its blue-white sun rose over the horizon. It taxied to a vacant hanger and eleven Kell Hounds disembarked into the twilight dawn and trio of tanned men armed with lever rifles.

“What do you think you Stargazers are doin’? Doesn’t matter that King Grimm gave your boy the planet for a hundred million after working my daddy to the bone in the mines. We was here first.”

Phelen looked at the tail of the shuttle which as marked with the titular One Star of the OSF. The Hounds with weapons kept them at the ready. “We’re not with them.”

“Well, who you with then?”
“We’re Mercs and looking to make a deal.”
“What kinda deal?”
“Mutually beneficial.
You want this shuttle?”

Their leader eased his grip on the rifle, “It’s been a while since the Hansa free trader arrived. Our shuttles are grounded for lack o’ parts.”
“You can have it, but we need supplies: food, clothing, medicine, and transport.”
He looked toward the Rim World’s Republic flag waving in the morning breeze. “We need to lay low somewhere until our friends arrive from off-world.”

“We’ll hide it under some brush in the glade before Kenny can get to it with the chop saw.
I’m Eli by the way, and these are my brothers.”

Eli extended his hand and Phelen took it, “Wolfgang.”
“Fancy name. What happened to ‘ya boots boy.”
“I just broke out of COMSTAR jail and killed a few giants in the process.”
“Now that sounds like a story I don’t need to know, Wolfgang.”

They looked at the shuttle once more, “How do you like your grits? And what size boots you want?”
“Plentiful, and forty-one.”

Morning passed with six very upset women and teen girls cooking breakfast as Daniel, the youngest brother, galloped to the trading post to return with a wooden cartload of sundry dry goods pulled along by a mare. Phelen never realized how much he appreciated boots until he had been without them for a few weeks. He bumped into one of the girls while putting on the rough, homespun shirt knocking her over and upsetting her bonnet. “Sorry. Rebecca, was it?”
He reached down to pull her up, “You remembered.”
“I’m pretty good about that. Thanks for breakfast, I know we kinda dropped in on you and your folks without warning. What are you doing over here?”

She fixed the bonnet to her blonde hair again, looked aside, blushing, and kneaded her apron, “I just wanted to make sure you were fine. Are you really from off-world Wolfgang?”
“I am.”
“What’s it like out there?”
“Different.”
“Better?”
“Just different.”
“I was just curious. We don’t get many visitors from off-world round these parts.”
“Which is a darn shame, because it seems to be a fine, hospitable place.”
“Thank you,”
Phelen waited for her to return to the group, but she just stood there eyes slightly down, hands folded, “You should go ahead, if we come back together people might ask questions.”

A moment passed before he nodded, “I see, just curious huh?”

PsihoKekec

• Captain
« Reply #54 on: 25 May 2023, 07:51:48 »
Looks like Phelan will turn falling down some stairs in the wilderness into habit.

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #55 on: 25 May 2023, 12:27:19 »
Looks like Phelan will turn falling down some stairs in the wilderness into habit.

One of the many occupation hazards of being a battletech mercenary.

------

08/21/3051
Phelen reached back to touch the sleek laser rifle slung over his back, “I have perhaps the most powerful laser rifle in the Inner Sphere on my back.” He pinched himself to feel something different on his increasingly numb and chaffed legs, “yet I am on horseback wearing homespun wool clothes, eating jerky, dry beans, pan bread, and homemade preserves over a campfire under the stars.”

Lieutenant Tang was apparently listening in, “Bit of a different sensation ain’t it?
I’m still thinking about that jam and fresh baked bread though.”

He whispered to Jackson, “Rebecca snuck it into my bag.” The two exchanged a nod and then spoke up to fight the increasingly aggressive wind, “This wasn’t the way I expected our Elissa mission to go.”
“No but if we make it back even your uncle will appreciate the story that comes out of it.”

“If we make it out.
What do you think happened to the Captain and the others?”

Jackson got quiet, it was something they had avoided over the past few days, “If they’re alive, we’ll find and bring them home, but that’s a different set of problems.
I am going to stay focused on our group, tomorrow, and what we can do to change it.
I expect you to do the same.”

“Roger.”

“How’s your bruised ribs?”
“Pained.”
Horseback riding hadn’t made it better, but a place in the group’s two light wagons was hardly more stable, “You get kicked by one of those Elementals and tell me how you feel.”
“I’d rather not.”

The Kell Hounds worked their way through a wide expanse of grasslands and rolling hills heading southward four of their eleven with parts of the Mausers had their own horses. Dusk arrived with Sourwater Station looming ahead of them, positioned with a commanding view of the countryside lit with brilliant hues of orange and red. A photovoltaic panel was mounted on a wooden scaffold with enough space to pull the wagons into driving a pump and water purifier that filled a cistern which in turn emptied into the trough by use of hand pump. Hooks for saddles and ties for bridles lined the beams.

An old man rocked in a chair nearby, one hand nudged a star hat up with the other gently resting on a double barrel shotgun, “You fellas are ahead of the big drive.”

They looked around at each other and forgot for a moment that they looked like natives, “Like cattle drive?”

“Sure do.”

“We’re actually prospectors.”
“Oh, heading to them haunted hollers down south?
That vein’s been played out for thirty odd years now.
I should know I worked it back when King Grimm was living up to his name.
Kept enough gold to keep my teeth.”

He smiled a jagged smile, gold caps shone in the dusky light. “Don’t jump anyone’s claim ya hear. Everyone’s armed here but they shoot first down there.
You fellas spending the night?”

Phelen and Jackson looked around at their crew, “Depends, you take Lyran Kroner?”

“Sure do. Talk to my boy Johnny at the bar. It ain’t gonna be five stars, but a roof under your head and bath is a nice treat after spending days under the stars.
This is gonna be the last free night we have for a couple weeks so you’re just in luck.
Don’t worry ‘bout your animals they’s safe with Ol’ Amos.”

Saloon doors opened as the sun settled below the horizon and Miranda replaced it. Inside was roughhewn wood and men. Four colorfully dressed women fanned themselves in the corner watching the Kell Hounds as they walked in and whispering to one another. They took up seats at the bar, “You Johnny?”
“Sure am, you fellas want a room, drinks, or both and maybe more.”
“Both and maybe more,”
the Mercs emptied their pockets of the Kroner coins and bills that the Ghost Bears neglected to take from them. Even tossed in their Kell Hound blood chits pulled out of their uniforms before they went into the fire behind Eli’s house.
“I’ll take your coins, but not your chits.
A round of drinks, a bottle for the road, one night under roof, some fodder, stabling, bathes, two hot meals, and a good map. Best offer.”

They looked at the accumulated cash the group had on them; a sizable sum but worthless without someone to take it. “Deal.”

Night passed and the sun rose again on the grasslands of Elissa illuminating the Rim World’s Republic flag that flew in the town square. One of the locals stood beside Phelen, “Beautiful ain’t it?”
“I don’t mean offense, but why do The Inheritors fly the Rim World’s Flag? Amaris committed terrible atrocities.”

“How many were committed by Hegemony troops or fleets in the name of Kerensky, the Camerons, and McKennas that we don’t hear about before him? or since?

Stefan Amaris ended the Star League so we could be free to decide for ourselves what we wanted to be and not live under Terra’s thumb.

Some of them chose to be animals,

The Succession Wars are proof of that.”

PsihoKekec

• Captain
« Reply #56 on: 25 May 2023, 14:39:22 »
Spheroids and Clanners both have difficulty understanding that in the Periphery, the Star League was a monster and is still considered as such.

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #57 on: 26 May 2023, 07:25:47 »
09/05/3051
“Reminds me of Tokasha, quiaff?”
Diana stared through her range-finding binoculars at the tortured landscape of these ‘Haunted Hollers’ whose hilltops had been removed by the Oberon Confederation to extract their minerals and between which grew a gnarled tangle of woodlands. The hollers themselves were filled coarse unstable soil from which trickled putrid orange water.
“At least we do not need respirators to breath the air. It remains to be seen what lives within and what threat it poses. There are also less fires.”
“We will not have giant anthropods at least.”
“The smaller ones are more dangerous. I almost died as a creche because I did not check my boots before going outside. Fortunately, we had antivenom on hand.”
“Your mother’s outpost was one of the most remote, I never had trouble with little bugs.”

They returned to their camp where large flexible photovoltaics were plugged into their motorcycles. A charred tin percolator popped over the campfire. She checked her watch and set up a satellite dish while one of her team poured a bitter black liquid into her cup. Diana spit it out and dumped the rest, “Better than last time Caresh, but I still cannot swallow it.”

Caresh poured out the rest of the sad brown fluid, “This object does not come with instructions Diana. It will require experimentation,”
he lifted a small burlap sack of mysterious beans, “yet we have limited raw materials.”
“Perhaps its owners should have thought better of firing warning shots at us then. They might still be alive to show us how it works. We have limited everything but be silent I must contact the Star Captain.”

The monitor attached to the dish showed the prime meridian time and an approximate position based on its own INS. A circle represented the signal strength from the few orbiters the One Star Faith had established for their own use, but which had been acquired by her Clan when they took over the garrison. Signal strength increased enough that Diana donned her headset and activated the transmission equipment inside that would link with the Star Captain’s Goshawk or their dropship.

“Star Captain Kearny, are you there?”
“Aff, sitrep Diana.”
“We are still in pursuit of the Kell Hounds and are closing on their position.”
“You said that last week and every day since.”
“And it was true. They continue to evade us.”
“Are you certain you have enough Warriors?”
“There are only a dozen of them, I have four Warriors under my command. That is sufficient.
End of transmission.”

Diana bristled at the Star Captain; her fists clenched white with rage despite the tan from living out in the wilderness for weeks. She wanted to stand up and scream it out over the desolate valleys. Nothing she could do as a freeborn former Jade Falcon would be enough for the ‘true’ Steel Vipers. A nearby stone caught her attention and was immediately tossed over the edge of the rocky defile into the valley.

The Kell Hounds would be caught, or she would die trying.

-------

09/12/3051
A flutter of bird wings snapped Diana awake, her pistol pointed out from the sleeping bag towards trees and the wispy smoke of a dying campfire. She cleared her eyes and saw Melanie sitting with her back to her motorcycle, limply holding a shotgun in the waning light of Miranda as it slipped down to the horizon. The others slept fitfully within their own bags, “You alright Team Leader?”

She cleared her eyes, switched her pistol to safe, and wiped her forehead. “I have a fever.”
“We all do. The water here is making us all sick.
We need replacement water filters, warmer clothes, and more food.
Our supplies are gone and since everyone has started avoiding us so there are no more leads on where the Hounds disappeared to or options to take what we need. They could have moved on to a totally separate region in the weeks we have spent here.”

“I am not going back to Illusha until I find the Kell Hounds!
They are here I know it. The locals manage, we can too.”
“They are from here Diana, we are not. If the Hounds are here, they are getting help and all we are doing is making more enemies while losing our strength.

We will die or get ourselves killed if we stay out here much longer. They will not even need to lift a finger. I’m not sure we can make it to the nearest trading post without local Dark Caste intercepting us or one of us collapsing off their bike.

Please ask Illusha to send backup and medivac.”

“No, I will not give her the satisfaction of seeing me fail.
I told her we could do it and we will.”

“Diana, you know that I would fight alongside you in a Trial to the death. We have lived alongside one another since Sibko. This is not the way Falcon Warriors die, of deprivation, and disease, in the wilderness, on the dawn of the Clans’ great project.

Illusha has treated us like Solahma. We should not give her the satisfaction of killing us like them.”

PsihoKekec

• Captain
« Reply #58 on: 26 May 2023, 11:28:50 »
Death is always acceptable, but then, fiction never seems to run out of yandere stalkers.

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #59 on: 26 May 2023, 21:05:54 »
09/14/3051
“Rise and shine Steel Vipers!”

Diana felt something hard push into her ribs through the sleeping bag and raised her hands in surrender. She looked through delirious eyes at the dawning sun illuminated a group of bearded men clad in local attire with bandanas over their faces standing with their legs on her team’s chests, pointing their own guns at them. “How did you sneak up on us?”

“In case you didn’t know we are a Recon Lance, the Kell Hounds are legendary for a reason, and I was trained by Seventh Kommando.”

A bit of bile burned at her throat as much as her forehead. “Phelen Kell?”

“Aff as you Clanners say.
Don’t move now, I’ve seen what this can do to a woman twice your size. It’s not pretty.”

He unzipped her sleeping bag and stripped her gun belt before passing it off to one of the other men who snapped it on. “Get your skinny ass up and don’t try anything crazy.”

She rose from the sleeping bag and was suddenly acutely aware of how much slack was in her belt after more than month hunting the Hounds only to get jumped by them instead. “Where were you hiding?”

“You’ll find out soon enough. Until then it’s not as important as your microwave uplink.”

“What about us?”
“If I wanted you and your team dead, we’d have just shot you, taken it, and let the vultures pick your corpses.

However, that didn’t seem very hospitable of us. It would be a shame for you to have come all this way to die of dysentery or get lynched by the locals. Apparently, most folks round these parts aren’t too keen on restoring the Star League.

Now get your hands behind your head and feet moving. We’ve got a bit of walk ahead of us.”