Author Topic: Anyone had a chance to read Queer Tales From The Inner Sphere?  (Read 3306 times)

Greatclub

• Captain
Re: Anyone had a chance to read Queer Tales From The Inner Sphere?
« Reply #30 on: 09 June 2023, 00:57:53 »
. Yay, bedtime reading!
Yay, getting chased by a kaiju in your dreams

veoviscool12

• Recruit
« Reply #31 on: 09 June 2023, 01:49:38 »
Overall I liked the stories, though some of them would have benefited from an editor. It was one of my first steps into BattleTech fiction beyond the stories included in the box sets and rulebooks. I think if I was more well-versed in the fiction (via the novels and Shrapnel) there may have been errors that stood out to me, but as a newbie I simply enjoyed the stompy mech action.  ;D

If anything, I am eager to jump into more fiction, as this whetted my appetite.  :thumbsup:

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #32 on: 09 June 2023, 06:09:31 »
Why don't we have a Scary Tales to Tell in the Dark-style anthology for BattleTech? I'd pay to read about a Canopian exploration mission finding creepy fish-men on Frobisher.
  How about some CreepypastaJA_Baker/Starbug (RIP) and his co-contributors came up with some intriguing pieces....

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #33 on: 09 June 2023, 09:11:04 »
Overall I liked the stories, though some of them would have benefited from an editor. It was one of my first steps into BattleTech fiction beyond the stories included in the box sets and rulebooks. I think if I was more well-versed in the fiction (via the novels and Shrapnel) there may have been errors that stood out to me, but as a newbie I simply enjoyed the stompy mech action.  ;D

If anything, I am eager to jump into more fiction, as this whetted my appetite.  :thumbsup:

If you're looking for a smaller, more limited offering, you might enjoy Shrapnel.  I keep meaning to get back to it, but I quite enjoyed the first iteration of the Fox Patrol stories in issue #5.

For the novels, there are much better choices of an authority than I.

SANSd20

• Sergeant
« Reply #34 on: 09 June 2023, 10:14:46 »
Correct. While folks affiliated with CGL have shared it, it's not an official product.

Thanks. With it being fanfic, i.e. not official, then I think I will pass on this.
Mecr KS back #244

Critias

• Freelance Writer
  • Private
« Reply #35 on: 09 June 2023, 23:26:50 »
Thanks for the positivity and the feedback, y'all.  I'm Russell Zimmerman, longtime Shadowrun writer, finally getting to write some BattleTech writer (I've had a few things published, lots more in the works), one of the guys y'all are gonna see around Reddit, and the guy who wrote the last story in the anthology.

We knew the Pride Anthology, while for everyone, might not be everyone's cup of tea, but it was a fun chance to throw together a little quickie 'deleted scene' for my in-the-pipeline work, and a great chance to get lots of eyeballs on some cool writing from some cool folks.  I know the ending of Milla's story, in particular, hasn't quite hit for everyone, but I, for one, think the anime-esque meetcute was just fine for fan work, and made for a nice moment of silliness and lightness compared to some of the heavier, more grounded, stories we told (like Robin's, the first one, which has already had at least two people reach out to her to talk about how it aligns with their feelings of 'holy-crap-I-might-be-trans').

Even ignoring all the Reddit drama for a minute (god I'd love to ignore the Reddit drama for a minute, after the week I've had), I really think this little fanzine anthology that Detocroix (Milla Koponen) put together can only be called a success, even if only because of the community support it's received and how great it's made a lot of our fellow queer BattleTech fans feel seen and included.
This message brought to you by Mountain Wolf BattleMechs (tm).

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #36 on: 10 June 2023, 08:50:22 »
Why don't we have a Scary Tales to Tell in the Dark-style anthology for BattleTech? I'd pay to read about a Canopian exploration mission finding creepy fish-men on Frobisher.

well we did have JA Baker Spooky stories of Battletech...
RIP JA BAKER.  :'(
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

veoviscool12

• Recruit
« Reply #37 on: 11 June 2023, 22:34:03 »
If you're looking for a smaller, more limited offering, you might enjoy Shrapnel.  I keep meaning to get back to it, but I quite enjoyed the first iteration of the Fox Patrol stories in issue #5.

For the novels, there are much better choices of an authority than I.

Thanks for the recommendation; the Kickstarter included a copy of Shrapnel so I'll check that out next!

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #38 on: 13 June 2023, 03:09:36 »
Read it and put up plot summaries on Sarna.
I was very impressed with the second story, Small.
The last story, Old Wounds, Old Words, isn't much of a story (more of a scene imho) but I thought the writing was still notably good.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Quiaff

• Recruit
« Reply #39 on: 11 March 2024, 13:36:10 »
As a new user to this forum, THIS IS WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR.  I have been reading BT stories since I was 11 years old, and my paperback copies of the Warrior Trilogy and The Blood of Kerensky trilogy have literally been read so many times that I had to buy digital copies to avoid them falling apart. 

But I always wanted queer characters.  In fact, I've always been a Victor x Hohiro shipper (shun me now), so to see queer fanfic is GREAT!

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #40 on: 11 March 2024, 13:55:27 »
As a new user to this forum, THIS IS WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR.  I have been reading BT stories since I was 11 years old, and my paperback copies of the Warrior Trilogy and The Blood of Kerensky trilogy have literally been read so many times that I had to buy digital copies to avoid them falling apart. 

But I always wanted queer characters.  In fact, I've always been a Victor x Hohiro shipper (shun me now), so to see queer fanfic is GREAT!

A second volume is in the works! I'm hoping to get a story into it.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #41 on: 11 March 2024, 15:28:23 »
There's also been a noticeable amount of queer characters showing up in the canon fiction in the last few years as well.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #42 on: 11 March 2024, 17:16:10 »
I'm hoping to get a story into it.

Your old queer friend here hopes so too because he would love to read it.
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

Gorgon

• Warrant Officer
  • The little duchy that could
« Reply #43 on: 12 March 2024, 04:59:33 »
A second volume? That's good news. Best of luck, ColBosch!
Jude Melancon lives!

Quiaff

• Recruit
« Reply #44 on: 15 March 2024, 09:51:03 »
A second volume is in the works! I'm hoping to get a story into it.

indecipherable com static that sounds like shrieks of joy

Yessss! Give me all the goodies! I can't wait!

Register