Author Topic: The Kapteyn Universe  (Read 6442 times)

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
  • I am Thomas Hogarth's Love Child
    • The Kapteyn Universe
The Kapteyn Universe
« on: 19 January 2024, 19:21:57 »
The Kapteyn Universe is Back!

Thirteen years ago I started writing a story that turned into a PBEM and then a huge alternate universe setting for BattleTech. Dozens of people were involved over the years, and now I am working to publish our universe as a coherent whole.

What is the Kapteyn Universe?
This is an alternate timeline story starting from 3022, which rewrites the lead up too, and outbreak of the 4th Succession War. It is based on the side bar on page 57 of the original House Marik Sourcebook, but quickly diverges into an alternate reaction by ComStar and the Kapteyn powers. I had an epiphany that started with the question “What if…”. What if Marik, Kurita, and Liao had struck first, before Davion and Steiner were ready, all manipulated by ComStar.

For the Clans, the premise was "What of Andery Kerensky lived?" and how could all twenty Clans survive down to the present day? This meant creating new events, but coming back to key touch points of canon along the way, making for a familiar, but very different set of Clans for the KU.

What is Coming for the KU?
Over the next few months, I'll be posting the story as a PDF and the sourcebooks of the universe as well, before getting into new stories set in the KU.

If you prefer reading the story via a thread and seeing the conversation that went with it, you can view it here: https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,60667.0.html

The product list is below and I'll update it as each sourcebook is published over the coming weeks and months, along with a brief synopsis of each book here in the thread.

To access the published materials, use this link https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/68p8roygnszkdw4s83rtb/h?rlkey=hqj6s2oeu8faa4g6ejzilzkpc&dl=0

Novels
KU-A The Other Option: Kapteyn’s First Strike
KU-B The Other Option: Kerensky’s Lost Hope
KU-C The Other Option: Cameron’s Dream

Sourcebooks
KU-01 The Fourth Succession War
KU-02 Inner Sphere Supplemental
KU-03 Field Manual: Clans
KU-04 Field Report: Terran Hegemony
KU-05 Field Report: Federated Suns
KU-06 Field Report: Lyran Commonwealth
KU-07 Field Report: Minor Powers
KU-08 Field Report: Capellan Confederation
KU-00 Field Report: Periphery
KU-10 Field Report: Draconis Combine
KU-11 Field Report: Free Worlds League

KU-12 Inner Sphere Supplemental II
KU-12 Field Report: Loyalist Clans
KU-14 Field Report: Crusader Clans
KU-13 Field Report: Warden Clans
KU-16 Field Report: Unaligned Clans

Want to Chat about the KU?
You can do that here, or come and join the new KU Discord https://discord.gg/YjHSU3PSyM
« Last Edit: 05 April 2024, 21:23:51 by Blacknova »
Dedicated to committing viciously gratuitous bastardy of the first order.

Unofficial LD for 2 seconds - It was a glorious moment!

"They can bring it. We fought off an army of guys who wore 20 pound decorative brass shoulder pauldrons. I'm not afraid of the Disney Land mascot brigade" - MadCapellan, in reference to the Confederation possibly facing the Clans.

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
Re: The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #1 on: 19 January 2024, 19:26:30 »
NOVEL: The Other Option - Kapteyn’s First Strike

This is an alternate timeline story set in 3022, which rewrites the lead up too, and outbreak of the 4th Succession War. It is based firstly on the side bar on page 57 of the original House Marik Sourcebook, but quickly diverges into an alternate reaction by ComStar and the Kapteyn powers.

The results of the invasions were gamed out and the story of the alternate war slowly written as we progressed the results of the war, using a highly detailed version of Succession Wars/Inner Sphere in Flames.

The full novel is available here: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/68p8roygnszkdw4s83rtb/h?rlkey=hqj6s2oeu8faa4g6ejzilzkpc&dl=0

Original thread is here: https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,60667.0.html

Special Thanks: An enormous number of people have contributed to the Kapteyn Universe (KU), and I hope I have not forgotten any of them below: Matthew “Blacknova” Alexander, Joshua “Knightmare” Perian, Jason “Panzerfaust150” Wiser, Michael “drakensis” Brown, Eugene “Centurion03” Klopper, Dan “Coriendal” Waugh, Glenn “Rainbow 6” Miller, Andrea “Magestric_ Artbitch” Hamann, Xavier “Ice Hellion” Lugherini, Bruce “Kwic” Jensen, Jeremy “shwagpo”, “Manne”, “Epoch Rooster”, “Recon-5”,
Chris “Alex Knight” Marti, “Dragon Cat”, “Potenza”, “Dread Moores”, “Hessian”, “VhenRa”, “Shadow Wraith”, Nathan “Valles” Baxter, Robert “Chaosextreme”
Johnson, John “Col. Chiang” Almond, Christopher Damour, Tony Crum, David “Slencgb”, “Red Pins”, Michael “DragonCat” Middleton, Matthew Stohner and anyone else we may have missed!
« Last Edit: 02 February 2024, 05:26:14 by Blacknova »

"They can bring it. We fought off an army of guys who wore 20 pound decorative brass shoulder pauldrons. I'm not afraid of the Disney Land mascot brigade" - MadCapellan, in reference to the Confederation possibly facing the Clans.

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #2 on: 19 January 2024, 19:30:51 »
KU 01 - The Fourth Succession War Sourcebook

Available here: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/68p8roygnszkdw4s83rtb/h?rlkey=hqj6s2oeu8faa4g6ejzilzkpc&dl=0

Fourth Succession War is a Kapteyn Universe fiction supplement designed to offer information on the progress and conduct of the Fourth Succession War. This book provides the wider scope and background for the novel The Other Option: Kapteyn’s First Strike.

The first sections of the book provide a short look into the pre-war state of the Inner Sphere and the planning for and lead up to the Fourth Succession War.

The second section, details the Fourth Succession War through its three distinct phases, each of which covers approximately six months of the war.

Finally, the results of and fallout from the Fourth Succession War are details at the end of the book, tallying the losses and gains of each of the many nations involved.

Want More From The Kapteyn Universe
For more from the Kapteyn Universe, come and join the KU Discord https://discord.gg/YjHSU3PSyM
« Last Edit: 19 January 2024, 20:53:39 by Blacknova »

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #3 on: 19 January 2024, 20:17:46 »
Oh wow! you guys are still kicking around, that's awesome!
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #4 on: 19 January 2024, 20:44:30 »
We are indeed.

Clans, Supplement 3032, HAF, and AFFS are laid out, and LCAF in is lay out, so with one a week, and about a week to prep, the next ones should keep you in reading for a couple of months.

Iron Grenadier

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #5 on: 19 January 2024, 22:51:13 »
This is awesome! Very glad to see this back!

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #6 on: 19 January 2024, 23:33:15 »
This is awesome! Very glad to see this back!

Thanks mate, appreciate it. Hope you enjoy the books as they come out.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #7 on: 20 January 2024, 07:32:47 »
Congrats on such progress on a massive project!  Keep up the momentum! :)

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #8 on: 20 January 2024, 09:39:46 »
Tagged the KU was good fun, I'm looking forward to more
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Ice Hellion

• Master Sergeant
  • Part-time builder of fallen empires
« Reply #9 on: 20 January 2024, 13:04:15 »
We are back !!! Or our adventures are back !!!   :grin:
In turn they tested each Clan namesake
In trial against the ice hellion's mettle.
Each chased the ice hellion, hunting it down.
All faild to match the predator's speed and grace.
Khan Cage smiled and said. "And that is how we shall be."

The Remembrance, Passage 5, Verse 3, Lines 1-5

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #10 on: 20 January 2024, 14:38:51 »
We are back !!! Or our adventures are back !!!   :grin:

Adventures, or megalomaniacal fever dreams?

Ice Hellion

• Master Sergeant
  • Part-time builder of fallen empires
« Reply #11 on: 20 January 2024, 15:22:01 »
Adventures, or megalomaniacal fever dreams?

Not mine. I only dream about unifying the Periphery or Clans Ghost Bear and Ice Hellion  :evil:
In turn they tested each Clan namesake
In trial against the ice hellion's mettle.
Each chased the ice hellion, hunting it down.
All faild to match the predator's speed and grace.
Khan Cage smiled and said. "And that is how we shall be."

The Remembrance, Passage 5, Verse 3, Lines 1-5

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #12 on: 22 January 2024, 19:22:26 »
Though you all might like to know the publication pipeline and how things are coming along.

The Fourth Succession War [RELEASED]
Inner Sphere Supplement: 3032 (Ready for publication, releases 27 January)
Field Manual: Clans (Ready for publication, releases 3 February)
Field Report: Terran Hegemony (Ready for publication, releases 10 February)
Field Report: Federated Suns (Ready for publication, releases 17 February)
Field Report: Lyran Commonwealth (Ready for publication, releases 24 February)
Field Report: Minor Powers (In Layout, releases 2 March)
Field Report: Capellan Confederation (Writing Complete, releases 9 March)
Field Report: Periphery (Writing Complete)
Field Report: Draconis Combine (60% Written)
Field Report: Free Worlds League (15% Written)
Inner Sphere Supplement: 3034 (50% Written)
Field Report: Loyalist Clans (30% Written)
Field Report: Crusader Clans (20% Written)
Field Report: Warden Clans (20% Written)
Field Report: Unaligned Clans (10% Written)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #13 on: 22 January 2024, 19:43:59 »
Outstanding planning! :)

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #15 on: 22 January 2024, 21:17:37 »
Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war.   

Woohoo, the Black Prince of Oberon is back.  :)

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #16 on: 23 January 2024, 16:32:38 »
If you are reading Fourth Succession War and getting whiplash from the way the first six months is narrated, compared to the two latter periods, there is an explanation for that.

As we played the game for the KU, the rules were constantly evolving, and one hole that needed plugging as the game developed was unit stacking. As you can see from battles like Marduk and Sirdar, things were getting pretty ridiculous.

I tried lots of solutions to fit with the system, none of them very good mind you. Although none of the fixes were ideal, they did disperse the massive concentrations of troops.

The narrative was built around a shift in operational goals from the Kapteyn powers, as re-writing the first third of the war was beyond the realm of sanity.

Recently, I finally managed to work out a far better fix, one that focuses on a simple mechanic creating apparent but not actual complexity in the way it interacts with a realm's forces and prevents unit stacking.

And that's why the Fourth Succession War goes from monumentally huge battles to smaller ones during the middle of 3025.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #17 on: 23 January 2024, 18:16:09 »
Which actually kind of fits 3SW attempts at fighting... it may have been unintentional, but I think it works! :)

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #18 on: 26 January 2024, 15:26:24 »
KU 02 - Inner Sphere Supplement: 3032

Available here: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/68p8roygnszkdw4s83rtb/h?rlkey=hqj6s2oeu8faa4g6ejzilzkpc&dl=0

Six years have passed since the Fourth Succession War, with a wary peace beginning to tatter as grudges and perceived slights force nations once more towards war.

At the centre of the Inner Sphere, the Terran Hegemony moves slowly from dream to reality, while the Great Houses seek to re-establish their own power bases within the new reality, joined by ever more minor powers snapping at their flanks.

Inner Sphere Supplement: 3032 provides an overview of the period from 3026 to 3032, covering major events, players, and campaigns. Also provided are national summaries, an in-depth review of the new Martial Olympiads and an overview of the Terran Hegemony.

Book Structure:
  • The first section of the book provides a short look into the history of the Inner Sphere since the Fourth Succession War.
  • The second section, details various powers and their comparative strengths, with the third providing an in depth look at the reformed Martial Olympiads.
  • The final section delves into the structure and operation of the reborn Terran Hegemony, following its founding only six years earlier.

For more from the Kapteyn Universe, come and join the KU Discord https://discord.gg/YjHSU3PSyM
« Last Edit: 26 January 2024, 21:59:26 by Blacknova »

Shadow_Wraith

• Lieutenant
« Reply #19 on: 26 January 2024, 18:10:24 »
after a quick review, its awesome!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #20 on: 26 January 2024, 18:49:26 »
That's a skinny Atlas on the cover, though... ;)

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #21 on: 26 January 2024, 19:20:33 »
after a quick review, its awesome!

Thanks.
That's a skinny Atlas on the cover, though... ;)

Archon put the LCAF on a diet.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #22 on: 26 January 2024, 19:32:43 »
LOL... excellent parry! ;D

Centurion03

• Master Sergeant
  • Jacta Alea Est - The Die is Cast
    • South African Wargamer
« Reply #23 on: 29 January 2024, 07:09:47 »
This makes me so happy to see!

I may not always have be as present as I should have be, nor as co-operative as was needed, but I had an absolute blast getting to play as ComStar *Cough*Terran Hegemony*Cough* and later the Draconis Combine for a bit. The shell game of moving all those units around the Inner Sphere was so much fun.

Great to see you back at it @Blacknova!

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #24 on: 29 January 2024, 21:53:34 »
Great to see you back mate, it was indeed such a blast to reshape the Inner Sphere.

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #25 on: 02 February 2024, 15:45:34 »
KU 03 - Field Manual: Clans

The arrival of the Great Destiny over Terra in early 3032 stunned the Terran Hegemony. Becoming ever more comfortable in their ability to control events in the Inner Sphere, the Hegemony is now faced with the coming of the Clans.

Led by the Loyalist faction, the Loremasters of the Clans to the Terran Hegemony have shared much of their people’s history as they seek to fathom out the reality of the Terran Hegemony for themselves and determine if the reborn Hegemony is worthy of its ancient name.

Field Manual: Clans provides the history and social structures of the Clans of the Kapteyn Universe, ones that though similar to those of canon BattleTech vary in several notable ways –  most importantly, the survival of all twenty Clans.

Book Structure:
Field Manual: Clans is broken into six key parts, providing readers with an overview of the Clans of the Kapteyn Universe.
  • Part one provides a history of the Clans from the survival of Andery Kerensky until to eve of the invasion of the Inner Sphere. Within the history are the seeds and explanations of the changes that shaped the Clans of the KU.
  • Parts two and three detail Clan governance and society, giving readers insights into how the Clans of the KU differ from canon and how those differences have effects the Clan’s approaches to fundamental matters such as Bloodnames and Trials.
  • Part four provides a broad overview of the Clan’s military capabilities, as well as the way Omni Technology has been adapted by the Clans to be fully embraced across the entire Clan military.
  • Part five details the advances in Clan naval warfare and the recent naval arms race.
  • The final part of the book provides an overview of each Clan and a biography of their Loremaster from the point of view of the Terran Hegemony, a springboard to the more detailed individual Clan summaries in the upcoming Clan Field Reports.

« Last Edit: 09 February 2024, 14:51:47 by Blacknova »

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #26 on: 09 February 2024, 14:58:04 »
KU 04 - Field Manual: Hegemony Armed Forces

From the hubristic ruins of ComStar the Terran Hegemony has arisen, claiming the core worlds of humanity for its own. Though strong, the Hegemony is still young, and its greatest need is the defence of the realm. For this, the Hegemony Armed Forces stand ready.

Within this volume is a detailed accounting of the HAF, and the massive fleets of the Terran Hegemony Navy. The shields of Terra and the Hegemony are carefully measured and provide readers with a full accounting of the HAF’s might.

Brigade and regimental summaries, industrial listings, strategy and operational thinking, as well as the newest WarShips in the THN inventory are all detailed. Additionally, a deeper analysis of the HAF and how it functions is also provided.

Book Structure:
Field Report: HAF is a Kapteyn Universe fiction supplement designed to offer information on the state of the Hegemony Armed Forces (HAF) following the Fourth Succession War and prior to the coming of the Clans of Kerensky.
  • The first section of the report—Terran Hegemony Overview—provides a short look into the current state of the HAF’ present condition and efforts. Broken into three sections, the Strategic Update details the military’s current objectives, while Future Plans provides some potential insight into the future of the HAF and the Terran Hegemony.
  • The second section, Industries and Support, presents a overview of Terran Hegemony military industries, production and fleet after the end of the Fourth Succession War.
  • Line Units presents a short update on the history, current status and notable facts for each brigade of the HAF. A complete review of the Terran Hegemony Navy is also presented.
  • Finally, The HAF covers the basic organization of the new army as ordered by Angus Hamilton in the wake of the Fourth Succession War.

« Last Edit: 16 February 2024, 15:55:39 by Blacknova »

Takiro

• Lieutenant
  • BattleTech: Salient Horizon
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #27 on: 09 February 2024, 18:22:45 »
I gotta get me some of these!

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #28 on: 10 February 2024, 02:32:21 »
Plenty of reading there for you already Takiro.

David CGB

• Lieutenant
« Reply #29 on: 11 February 2024, 00:59:55 »
Not mine. I only dream about unifying the Periphery or Clans Ghost Bear and Ice Hellion  :evil:
And mine
Federated Suns fan forever, Ghost Bear Fan since 1992, and as a Ghost Bear David Bekker star captain (in an Alt TL Loremaster)

rufusexc

• Private
« Reply #30 on: 11 February 2024, 05:00:35 »
I picked them up and started reading them. Thank you!

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #31 on: 12 February 2024, 00:50:31 »
I picked them up and started reading them. Thank you!

Hope you enjoy them.

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #32 on: 16 February 2024, 16:01:14 »
KU 05 - Field Manual: AFFS

Once the dominant power in the Inner Sphere, the Federated Suns has suffered significant reversals in the last decade. The alliance with House Steiner was never made whole through the physical uniting of the Commonwealth and the Suns, and now House Davion faces rejuvenated foes on all sides.

Within this volume, is a detailed accounting of the Armed Forces of the Federated Suns and the Federated Suns Navy. Brigade and regimental summaries, industrial listings, strategy and operational thinking, as well as the newest WarShips in the FSN inventory are all detailed.

Book Structure:
Field Report: AFFS is a Kapteyn Universe fiction supplement designed to offer information on the state of the Armed Forces of the Federated Suns (AFFS) following the Fourth Succession War and prior to the coming of the Clans of Kerensky.
  • The first section of the report—Federated Suns Overview—provides a short look into the current state of the AFFS’ present condition and efforts, broken into three parts. The Strategic Update details the military’s current objectives, while Future Plans provides some potential insight into the future of the Federated Suns and the Federated Suns’ Navy discusses how the AFFS is rebuilding its warship forces.
  • The second section, Industries and Support, presents a overview of the Federated Suns’  military industries, production and fleet after the end of the Fourth Succession War.
  • Line Units presents a short update on the history, current status and notable facts for each brigade of the AFFS.
  • Also included are details on the new WarShips of the Federated Suns Navy and a map showing the deployment of the AFFS and FSN.

NOTE: This is an updated version of the previous KU Field Report: AFFS.

« Last Edit: 23 February 2024, 22:23:51 by Blacknova »

rufusexc

• Private
« Reply #33 on: 17 February 2024, 13:28:38 »
Thank you!
You will be ahead of time to see the changes compared to the previous version.

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #34 on: 17 February 2024, 18:30:05 »
Most of the changes are pretty minor, designed to align AFFS with the other new KU releases and add some small continuity details.

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
« Reply #35 on: 17 February 2024, 19:05:24 »
Tagged.
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

Hairbear541

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #36 on: 18 February 2024, 22:06:52 »
evening bn , you mentioned a foreign built corvette called a stilleto flying fsn colors . if i'm remembering correctly , some years back a stilleto class corvette was built by the oberon navy . am i correct ?
now on another tangent , how about doing a TRO style book on all your naval units , be they WS or PWS or DS .

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #37 on: 18 February 2024, 22:13:39 »
Hi Hairbear541.

The Stiletto is an Oberon built variant of the Capellan Shoung Bi Shou-class corvette, which was also built by the Draconis Combine as the Sengoku-class.

The class is not being actively built anymore and navies that are deploying second generation vessels are largely doing away with the tiny ship.

I don't have plans for a TRO at all at the moment, though I appreciate folks wanting to see one. Personally, I don't find TRO's all that interesting, so writing one is not very high on my priorities for the KU.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #38 on: 19 February 2024, 08:33:08 »
Sounds like something that would have been part of TRO: 2800 from Shattered Dawn AU
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Takiro

• Lieutenant
  • BattleTech: Salient Horizon
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #39 on: 19 February 2024, 09:33:19 »
I don't have plans for a TRO at all at the moment, though I appreciate folks wanting to see one. Personally, I don't find TRO's all that interesting, so writing one is not very high on my priorities for the KU.

I hear you Nova, it is easy to get lost in the TRO weeds for me to speak. Currently I'm slogging along in my Optimized and Quicksilver projects which should be great once completed. However, I must confess my preference for Sourcebooks personally which detail history, organization, hint at future progression, etc. I get that it is a little too deep for people too but I'm not a novelizer either even though they have their place too. I like reading the story and hearing the personal motivators that drive the greater universe. When you combine all three like the BattleTech universe does so effectively throughout its rich history that is when you make the magic that I really love.

Sounds like something that would have been part of TRO: 2800 from Shattered Dawn AU

Well, that was born initially from Liam's Ghost Naval Archive which Irose and myself jumped aboard so long ago. Many others (including the canon TRO 3057 Revised) have produced their own vision of warship heaven. ;)

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #40 on: 19 February 2024, 21:21:23 »
If there was someone out there with skills and time to pull a KU TRO together, I would support it, as long as they could lay it out as well. I am not against it, just don't really have the capacity myself to do it.
« Last Edit: 19 February 2024, 21:25:43 by Blacknova »

willis

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #41 on: 19 February 2024, 22:20:00 »
If you have the fluff, unit stats, art and backgrounds I could format it into a pdf.

Some of the TROs I have done are:
The Wars of Grievance
Delranes Combat Equipment 3059
Project Nelson
Project Zhukov
Ghost & Shadows

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #42 on: 20 February 2024, 16:44:48 »
You put the
If you have the fluff, unit stats, art and backgrounds I could format it into a pdf.

Some of the TROs I have done are:
The Wars of Grievance
Delranes Combat Equipment 3059
Project Nelson
Project Zhukov
Ghost & Shadows
wait wait wait.   You Put marauder648 stuff together?

willis

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #43 on: 20 February 2024, 17:34:09 »
''wait wait wait.   You Put marauder648 stuff together?''

That would be a resounding yessir.... :grin:

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #44 on: 20 February 2024, 17:47:09 »
Blake Threat File
TRO 3176 Hegemony Refits
XTRO The Periphery
(and many more unfinished ones)

TEACH US, SENSEI!!

No, seriously, do youtube videos or something.  Nobody knows this stuff!
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #45 on: 23 February 2024, 22:38:32 »
KU 06 - Field Manual: LCAF

Ravaged by the Fourth Succession War, the Lyran Commonwealth has fallen back on its tow greatest weapons: its industry, and its newfound diplomatic strengths. The former has allowed the Commonwealth to survive, the latter to thrive.

Within this volume is a detailed accounting of the Lyran Commonwealth Armed Forces and the Lyran Commonwealth Navy. Brigade and regimental summaries, industrial listings, strategy and operational thinking, as well as the newest WarShips in the LCN inventory are all detailed.

Book Structure:
Field Report: LCAF is a Kapteyn Universe fiction supplement designed to offer information on the state of the Lyran Commonwealth Armed Forces (LCAF) following the Fourth Succession War and prior to the coming of the Clans of Kerensky.
  • The first section of the report—Lyran Commonwealth Overview—provides a short look into the current state of the LCAF’s present condition and efforts, broken into three parts. The Strategic Update details the military’s current objectives, while Future Plans provides some potential insight into the future of the Lyran Commonwealth.
  • The second section, Industries and Support, presents a overview of the Lyran Commonwealth’s military industries, production and fleet after the end of the Fourth Succession War.
  • Line Units presents a short update on the history, current status and notable facts for each brigade of the LCAF.
  • Also included are details on the new WarShips of the Lyran Commonwealth Navy and a map showing the deployment of the LCAF and LCN.

« Last Edit: 01 March 2024, 16:31:29 by Blacknova »

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #46 on: 23 February 2024, 22:52:53 »
OK, now LCAF is up I can talk about the interest in a KU TRO.

So firstly, this is low on the priority order, but not beyond doing if people want to be involved to help make it happen.

HOWEVER, this comes with a lot of caveats, as it's not something I would tackle alone and would want someone else driving the project.

I want it to look the part of the KU, so on that front I'd at the minimum set up the layout template.

I might do the layout myself, but that would require that whoever wanted to join in was able to build the TRO text and stats to a level where I am not having to rewrite and do wholesale edits - proofing is one thing, re-writes are another.

Happy to hand over layout as well, but that means access to certain programs, so not going to die on that hill, I can lay it out if necessary.

We'd need to get a plan in place so that it all comes together holistically, and the writer/s would get some insights into the future of the KU and have some fun designing some really interesting units.

If anyone is interested and is a descent writer, please reach out to me via PM and we can then set something up on the Discord to drive it along. I you just want to design units, that's cool too, there are a few that would need doing.

I am happy to bring this to life, but in order to do so, need support to do it, as I still have five Field Manuals and another Supplemental in the works that have my focus at the moment.

So yes, you all wore me down, and I really appreciate the support, encouragement and interest from you all. Really glad you are enjoying the KU and I hope I can bring you more to enjoy over the coming months.

rufusexc

• Private
« Reply #47 on: 24 February 2024, 13:44:25 »
Most of the changes are pretty minor, designed to align AFFS with the other new KU releases and add some small continuity details.

Yes, I saw that you added the list of warships. Modified the various units by adding equipment technology. Added mercenary units.

rufusexc

• Private
« Reply #48 on: 24 February 2024, 13:54:01 »
KU 05 - Field Manual: LCAF

Why is Alarion co-producing the Aegis heavy cruisers? The Sovetskii Soyuz are newer and are therefore more attractive to Earth Hegemony.

rufusexc

• Private
« Reply #49 on: 24 February 2024, 13:57:16 »
Why aren't all the Davion Guards/Royal Guards equipped with Star League technology? They should take precedence over all other units. As well as units considered Elite and those whose loyalty and fanatical should receive the most advanced equipment as a priority.

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #50 on: 24 February 2024, 14:41:21 »
Why is Alarion co-producing the Aegis heavy cruisers? The Sovetskii Soyuz are newer and are therefore more attractive to Earth Hegemony.

Because the player chose to put them into production for the Commonwealth. All states had access to 2750 designs in the game, and the Lyran player wanted to use the Aegis.

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #51 on: 24 February 2024, 14:45:58 »
Why aren't all the Davion Guards/Royal Guards equipped with Star League technology? They should take precedence over all other units. As well as units considered Elite and those whose loyalty and fanatical should receive the most advanced equipment as a priority.

I can't quite recall the Davion player's reason at the time, that was 10 years ago. It did make sense at the time though.

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #52 on: 24 February 2024, 23:06:52 »
Thanks for sharing all this hard work!  Love them!
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

drakensis

• Lieutenant
« Reply #53 on: 25 February 2024, 01:14:26 »
As the player for House Davion, IIRC, for the AFFS, it's because there wasn't enough Star League technology available to them yet. It's enormously expensive to upgrade and the costs under the rules we gamed meant that I didn't have enough funds to tool up and meet all the other options. The Davion Guards do have most of the available lostech units - only two commands outside of them have any.
"It's national writing month, not national writing week and a half you jerk" - Consequences, 9th November 2018

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #54 on: 25 February 2024, 01:23:40 »
And IIRC, you also prioritised commands that had some combat capability if called on to fight, and the Guards took a mauling in the 4th War.

eaglenine2

• Recruit
« Reply #55 on: 25 February 2024, 08:13:45 »
Question why are APC produced in low amounts?

Iron Grenadier

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #56 on: 25 February 2024, 11:37:42 »
Question why are APC produced in low amounts?

For the Lyrans? I'd guess it's due to not having as many RCT's currently. There's a huge planned upgrade for many of the commands to RCT's by 3040 I believe it was, so that's (in theory) plenty of time to ramp up production of them.

(They are producing 120 total of the Heavy APC's each year it looks like, alongside 120 total "regular" APC's)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #57 on: 25 February 2024, 13:02:36 »
I'm all on board for Naval Fighting Ships of KU

Iron Grenadier

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #58 on: 25 February 2024, 14:12:04 »
I think I'd be more interested in the new combat vehicles...

I'd guess though, there's probably just enough new mechs, vehicles and warships to fill out a TRO.

Are/were there new drop ships created? I don't recall any from the fiction off hand

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #59 on: 25 February 2024, 15:48:44 »
No, there were no new DropShips.

drakensis

• Lieutenant
« Reply #60 on: 25 February 2024, 16:44:58 »
And IIRC, you also prioritised commands that had some combat capability if called on to fight, and the Guards took a mauling in the 4th War.
That sounds plausible.
"It's national writing month, not national writing week and a half you jerk" - Consequences, 9th November 2018

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #61 on: 01 March 2024, 16:34:50 »
KU 07 - Field Manual: Minor Powers

Little threat at first glance to the major powers, the minor players of the Inner Sphere and Periphery have strength beyond a mere accounting of numbers.

Each of these minor realms has the capacity to alter the plans of those around it with careful diplomacy and judicious use of their strength.

Within this volume is a detailed accounting of the minor powers that populate the fringes of the Inner Sphere and Periphery. Brigade and regimental summaries, industrial listings, strategy and operational thinking are all detailed.

Book Structure:
Field Report: Minor Powers is a Kapteyn Universe fiction supplement designed to offer information on the state of the Minor Powers of the KU following the Fourth Succession War and prior to the coming of the Clans of Kerensky.
  • The first section of the report—Minor Powers Overview—provides a short look into the current state of each power’s present condition and efforts, broken into three parts. The Strategic Update details the military’s current objectives, while Future Plans provides some potential insight into the future of teach state.
  • The second section, Industries and Support, presents a overview of the Minor Powers military industries, production and fleet after the end of the Fourth Succession War.
  • Line Units presents a short update on the history, current status and notable facts for each power.

« Last Edit: 01 March 2024, 18:42:41 by Blacknova »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #62 on: 01 March 2024, 20:23:42 »
Does it include the Lothians?

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #63 on: 01 March 2024, 20:48:50 »
Yes, though the Lothians are now part of a coalition called the Anti-Spinward Union (ASU), with the Illyrians and Circinus. It has become quite a successful little realm.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #64 on: 02 March 2024, 03:32:38 »
Cool, thanks! :)

Hairbear541

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #65 on: 03 March 2024, 19:16:36 »
evening Black , just want a little info if you please . what are the tonnages of the WS built by the Oberon Confederation ?
   Class                 Tn
Prince
Consul
Stilleto

thats' all i need .
thanks
SRogers

Kwic

• Sergeant
« Reply #66 on: 03 March 2024, 21:15:46 »
Prince 390,000
Stiletto mk1 120,000
Consul (export stiletto) 120,000
Stiletto mk2 160,000

If I recall correctly

Would have to dig through the design notes

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #67 on: 03 March 2024, 21:44:04 »
Kwic has the numbers right. Wrangler has been looking at them recently, as as we used the old rules, our weights are a bit off now, but for in universe stuff, it's no biggie.

Hairbear541

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #68 on: 03 March 2024, 22:23:36 »
thanks guys for the info .

rufusexc

• Private
« Reply #69 on: 04 March 2024, 16:01:20 »
Excuse me, but Minor Powers in BattleTech refers to those small nations like St. Ives Compact, Free Rasalhague Republic, etc..
That is, those factions that are in the Inner Sphere.
Marian Hegemony, Niops Association, Hanseatic League, etc. are included in the Periphery.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #70 on: 04 March 2024, 17:44:48 »
I'm sorting through the designs, making them functional using megamekLab.

I noticed that there's some designs missing that are noted in the book so far, I will try to flesh what was released on the Dropbox.

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #71 on: 04 March 2024, 19:12:00 »
Excuse me, but Minor Powers in BattleTech refers to those small nations like St. Ives Compact, Free Rasalhague Republic, etc..
That is, those factions that are in the Inner Sphere.
Marian Hegemony, Niops Association, Hanseatic League, etc. are included in the Periphery.

Broken up that way to make the books a similar size, and they are all minor powers, even if they are in or outside of the Inner Phere

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #72 on: 04 March 2024, 20:06:54 »
You've been busy :tongue:
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #73 on: 04 March 2024, 20:12:10 »
These sourcebooks to me are gifts I'm very grateful for.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #74 on: 04 March 2024, 20:30:14 »
I'm good with the OP using "minor" as a simple adjective... ;)

Hairbear541

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #75 on: 04 March 2024, 21:52:15 »
my minor quible here is that the number of inhabitated worlds for each polity is not given .

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #76 on: 05 March 2024, 00:29:34 »
my minor quible here is that the number of inhabitated worlds for each polity is not given .

Pages 31-36 of Inner Sphere Supplement: 3032 lists that for every realm.

Orwell84

• Lieutenant
« Reply #77 on: 08 March 2024, 21:13:38 »
Finished the novel and reading through the 4th Succession War book now. Really liking this one, thank you for all of the work you put into it!

Only real gripe so far: I did a quick peak at 3032 and Free Rasalhague's gone, sob sob :cry:
All Clan totems are equal but some are more equal than others.

"The Succession Wars solved no problem. Their effects, both immediate and indirect, were either negative or disastrous. Morally subversive, economically destructive, socially degrading, confused in their causes, devious in their course, futile in their results, they are the outstanding example in Spheroid history of meaningless conflict."
The Third Star League's view of the Succession Wars, plagiarised from an ancient Terran historian's judgement of the Thirty Years War.

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #78 on: 08 March 2024, 22:07:04 »
Finished the novel and reading through the 4th Succession War book now. Really liking this one, thank you for all of the work you put into it!

Only real gripe so far: I did a quick peak at 3032 and Free Rasalhague's gone, sob sob :cry:

Thanks mate, appreciate it. They're not entirely dead yet.

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #79 on: 08 March 2024, 22:09:42 »
KU 08 - Field Manual: CCAF

Long discounted as a lesser Great House, the Liao’s have brought the Capellan Confederation to the fore of the politics within the Inner Sphere. The success of the CCAF in the Fourth Succession War, and its progress since, has given the citizens of the Confederation a hope and dynamism not seen in centuries.

Within this volume is a detailed accounting of the Capellan Confederation Armed Forces and the Capellan Confederation Navy. Brigade and regimental summaries, industrial listings, strategy and operational thinking, as well as the newest WarShips in the CCN inventory are all detailed.

Book Structure:
Field Report: CCAF is a Kapteyn Universe fiction supplement designed to offer information on the state of the Capellan Confederation Armed Forces the KU following the Fourth Succession War and prior to the coming of the Clans of Kerensky.
  • The first section of the report—Capellan Confederation Overview—provides a short look into the current state of the CCAF’s present condition and efforts, broken into three parts. The Strategic Update details the military’s current objectives, while Future Plans provides some potential insight into the future of the Capellan Confederation.
  • The second section, Industries and Support, presents an overview of the Capellan Confederation’s military industries, production and fleet after the end of the Fourth Succession War.
  • Line Units presents a short update on the history, current status and notable facts for each brigade of the CCAF.
  • Also included are details on the new WarShips of the Capellan Confederation Navy and a map showing the deployment of the CCAF and CCN.

« Last Edit: 08 March 2024, 23:20:43 by Blacknova »

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #80 on: 08 March 2024, 22:12:18 »
CCAF is my favourite to date, really enjoyed what the Capellan player did, and writing bout was heaps of fun. 

rufusexc

• Private
« Reply #81 on: 09 March 2024, 14:31:36 »
I can't quite recall the Davion player's reason at the time, that was 10 years ago. It did make sense at the time though.
As the player for House Davion, IIRC, for the AFFS, it's because there wasn't enough Star League technology available to them yet. It's enormously expensive to upgrade and the costs under the rules we gamed meant that I didn't have enough funds to tool up and meet all the other options. The Davion Guards do have most of the available lostech units - only two commands outside of them have any.

I downloaded the CCAF manual and, it doesn't come back with what was stated. Apart from the fact that in 10 years the data can be updated, but there is a great inconsistency with what you have reported.
According to the AFFS manual, there are the names of 100 House units, and of these, only 6 have Star League technology.
In the LCAF manual for the 75 house units, there are only 8 that have Star League technology.
While in the CCAF manual compared to 77 House units, as many as 23 have Star League technology.
At this point there is a percentage of Star League technology broken down as follows:
AFFS 6%
LCAF 10.67%
CCAF 29.87%
The Capellan Confederation's budget can't compete with that of the other two nations, so it couldn't afford to have all those units equipped with Star League technology.

The summary of the data of the countries in KU_02_Inner_Sphere_Supplement_3032_Final contains a gross error regarding the Gross Domestic Product. It is expressed in billions of credits, but it should be more correctly expressed in trillions or even quadrillions. Because even if we multiply the reported values by 7 (i.e. the conversion between Comstar credits and the dollar) they would have roughly the same GDP as Earth, even if they actually have hundreds of planets.

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #82 on: 09 March 2024, 15:59:41 »
Down that path lies madness my friend.

FASAnomics has and never will make sense, something we leaned into. The numbers are conversions of the game stats we used to run the KU game. Could we have added Trillions or Quadrillions, yes, but that would have felt very un-BattleTech.

An example of FASAnomics are JumpShip fleets and planetary descriptions. Some worlds are described in 3025 as breadbaskets, with others needing to import all their food. However, with JumpShips fleets said to number in the thousands to tens of thousands, you would need the entire fleet just to feed one planet. Macro numbers in BattleTech never add up. Hell, regiments of 100+ Mechs are said to control planets with populations in the Billions...

So it's best you just suspend disbelief and roll with the numbers as indicators of relative strength and not actual true values of GDP.

As to the CCAF having higher proportions of SLDF tech, that's because, within the rules of the KU game, the Capellan player invested far more heavily in technological development that most other powers. The Confederation was also under less pressure to rebuild from losses than other realms, so was able to devote more resources to development over recovery.

rufusexc

• Private
« Reply #83 on: 15 March 2024, 07:54:25 »
Of course the FASA had made several mistakes, but nevertheless it had seen sense when it gave a limited number of units to the Capellan Confederation in the book House Liao - The Capellan Confederation (1624). Because it obviously could not have that much money to spend on maintaining a military apparatus consisting of several units, which in KU-02 Inner Sphere Supplement 3032 turns out to be 93 House BattleMech regiments against the Lyran Commonwealth's 97. It possesses 27 warships compared to the 12 of Lyran Commonwealth, and this with a GDP that is just over half.
How does it maintain such a huge war arsenal. It would have to spend exorbitant amounts of money just for the day-to-day running of the equipment. If you think that a Ford class aircraft carrier costs about $7 million a day to run and maintain. Think how much the daily operation and maintenance of each warship, jumpship, dropship, BattleMech, etc. could cost.
GDP is very important because it affects the wealth of a nation and, military spending is calculated as a percentage of it.

I don't know whether we should have a more in-depth discussion of the issue here.

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)
« Last Edit: 15 March 2024, 07:56:17 by rufusexc »

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #84 on: 15 March 2024, 15:12:17 »
Let's not eh? Not a topic for discussion here. Just enjoy the ride and the rebirth of the Glorious Capellan State.

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #85 on: 16 March 2024, 16:13:13 »
KU 09 - Field Manual: Periphery

Ignored by the Great Houses for centuries, the major powers of the Periphery made their presence felt during the Fourth Succession War. While Oberon and Canopus brought war to the Inner Sphere, Alpheratz and Taurus demonstrated that growth without war was possible. Now reinvigorated and aligned, the major powers of the Periphery may now hold the balance of power.

Within this volume is a detailed accounting of the Federal Republic of Andurien and Canopus, Oberon Confederation, Taurian Concordat and Outworlds Alliance. Brigade and regimental summaries, industrial listings, strategy and operational thinking are provided, as well as the details on the newest WarShips being laid down in the Periphery.

Book Structure:
Field Report: Periphery is a Kapteyn Universe fiction supplement designed to offer information on the state of the major Periphery states of the KU following the Fourth Succession War and prior to the coming of the Clans of Kerensky.
  • The first section of the report—National Overviews—provides a short look into the current state of the major Periphery state’s present condition and efforts, broken into three parts. The Strategic Update details the military’s current objectives, while Future Plans provides some potential insight into the future of each power.
  • The second section, Industries and Support, presents a overview of the each power’s military industries, production and fleet after the end of the Fourth Succession War.
  • Line Units presents a short update on the history, current status and notable facts for each brigade of the major Periphery state militaries.
  • Also included are details on the new WarShips and a map showing the deployment of the each power’s forces.

« Last Edit: 23 March 2024, 20:57:42 by Blacknova »

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #86 on: 23 March 2024, 20:59:42 »
KU 10 - Field Manual: DCMS

Under immense pressure from within and without, the Combine has begun to crack. With two courts claiming the mantle of Coordinator and enemies on several border aligned, the Dragon has not seen such peril since the early Succession Wars. However, the strength of the Dragon is enduring and the Combine has found new ways to thrive, while it plots the downfall of those who shamed it.

Within this volume is a detailed accounting of the Draconis Combine Mustered Soldiery and the Draconis Combine Admiralty. Brigade and regimental summaries, industrial listings, strategy and operational thinking, as well as the newest WarShips in the DCN inventory are all detailed.

Book Structure:
Field Report: DCMS is a Kapteyn Universe fiction supplement designed to offer information on the state of the Draconis Combine Mustered Soldiery (DCMS) following the Fourth Succession War and prior to the coming of the Clans of Kerensky.
  • The first section of the report— Draconis Combine Overview—provides a short look into the current state of the DCMS’s present condition and efforts, broken into three parts. The Strategic Update details the military’s current objectives, while Future Plans provides some potential insight into the future of the Draconis Combine and the Draconis Combine Admiralty discusses how the DCMS is rebuilding its warship forces.
  • The second section, Industries and Support, presents a overview of the Draconis Combine’s military industries, production and fleet after the end of the Fourth Succession War.
  • Line Units presents a short update on the history, current status and notable facts for each brigade of the DCMS.
  • Also included are details on the deployment of the DCMS and DCA.

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #87 on: 23 March 2024, 21:04:17 »
In other news, I have decided that yes, there will be a KU:TRO, but it will be a bit different from what you are used to.

It will have a heavy naval focus, and many of the entries will look at how ships have evolved in universe.

Don't get too excited, it is a long way off seeing the light of day, but it will be realized eventually.

More detail and a test run of how one part of it may look are over on the Discord.

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #88 on: 24 March 2024, 14:44:08 »
 Gosh, I wish I could offer to help but it was so embarrassing last time.  As story writers and  in terms of finished, beautiful books you guys are just on another level.  I'm poking along, barely able to finish a page in a week in terms of formatting and only a couple pages in terms of writing fluff.

How about a screenshot of what you have so far for those of use who don't use discord?

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #89 on: 24 March 2024, 16:52:01 »
Don't put pressure on yourself. Some weeks I get nothing done.

It's just a word doc with a possible approach to the TRO. I can copy some text over later.

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #90 on: 28 March 2024, 03:52:15 »
Here is an example of how we might pull together the naval side of a KU TRO down the line.

To make sense of the discussion of the Lola III below, there are some initial notes about how naval technology in the KU works going forward - which does mean we'll need to do some updates to existing designs for the TRO.

KU WarShip Overview

Rules Notes
KU naval technology has more variance to it than that of canon, making WarShip generations far more important than the case for canon. For example, certain armor and other technology only becomes available as technology advances. Also, capital weapon technology improves as well, making for far more effective vessels as technology advances.

The list below outlines what technologies are available at each level of naval technology.
  • Inner Sphere Tech - Standard Capital and non-capital weapons, screen launchers, standard armour, grav decks
  • Star League Tech - Improved Ferro-Aluminium armour, standard Capital weapons, Star League non-capital weapons, L-F Battery, HPGs
  • Advanced IS / Golden Century Tech - Ferro-Carbide armour, KU Advanced Capital weapons, KU Advanced Tech non-capital weapons
  • Clan Tech Lamellor Ferro-Carbide armour, KU Clan Capital weapons and Clan Tech non-capital weapons.

The following tach is available to the various powers.
Inner Sphere Tech All other nations
Star League Tech Federated Suns, Lyran Commonwealth, Capellan Confederation,
Advanced / Golden Century Tech Terran Hegemony
Clan Tech All Clans, Wolf’s Dragoons

In Universe Piece
General Wolf,
We have finally been able to penetrate the Terran’s naval databases and can finally make an assessment against the other realm’s and the Clan’s naval technology. We had wished to make this breakthrough sooner, however, since the return of Warships to the Inner Sphere a little more than a decade ago, every state has guarded its knowledge against outsiders, delaying our ability to analyse the true extent of naval advancement and technology. To provide an initial working overview of the differences in technology, we have undertaken a comparison of the Lola III-class destroyer, which is deployed by the Hegemony (Lola 33), Clans (Lola III-C) and ourselves (Lola III-W).

All of the Lola III variants mass 680,000 tons and are able to accelerate at a maximum of 3-g’s. The original vessel has an endurance of 76 days with 1,200 tons of fuel, which is retained by the Clan version, and increased to 152 days (2,400 tons) for the Hegemony vessel and 367 (5,800 tons) for the Wolf Dragoons variant.

Structurally, the original Lola III had been reenforced by a factor of 8.33, which enabled it to carry 680 tons of armor, though only 322 tons of Improved Ferro-Aluminium were installed. Again, the Clan version retains this approach, though the armour is upgraded to Lamellor Ferro-Carbide. The Lola 33 saw an increase in structural strength of 20% and a much heavier armor belt of 816 tons of Ferro-Carbide, due to the focus of the Hegemony’s Mark 3 program being on survivability. Our own version saw the retention of the original structure, but the upgrading and increasing of protection to 680 tons of Lamellor Ferro-Carbide.

Transport for each version varies as well, with the original Lola III carrying no DropShips, four small craft and six aerospace fighters. The Lola 33 and Lola III-W increase the fighter capacity to a full Wing, plus a command section (20 fighters), while the Clan version has ten small craft and a Star of ten fighters. The Lola 33 does not add DropShip collars, though in keeping with Clan naval doctrine, which places an emphasis on carrying capacity and DropShip support, eight docking collars are added. Our own W variant is influenced by Clan design philosophies, though to a lesser extent and carries only four DropShips.

The weapons load of the original Lola III is twelve NL/55, four NL/45, two White Shark and five Barracuda capital missile tubes, and sixteen NAC/10. The Lola III was not able to utilise its full firepower due to the heat system being only 89% effective.

The Hegemony Lola 33 upgrades the weaponry to the more advanced models produced by Terran yards, as well as doubling the entire weapons layout, providing for more than twice the capital firepower of the original vessel. For close in protection, the Lola 33 adds the standard ComStar designed anti-missile and anti-fighter defences, with thirty-two F-MIDS, sixteen Anti-Missile Systems, and eight quad mounted Large Pulse Laser batteries. The Lola 33 generates more than twice the heat burden of the Lola III, but a vastly expanded heat dissipation system is able to manage the load.

The Clan version of the Lola III also upgrades the weaponry. In this case four NL/55, four NL/45, and four NAC/10 are added, along with a full upgrade of all weapons to Clan capital grade models. Anti-Fighter defences are extensive, including thirty-two ER Large Laser, thirty-two Artemis equipped LRM-20’s, and eight of the Clan’s long range anti-fighter defence Arrow X SAM systems, which are designed to take our Clan strike fighters before they can deliver their short range Raptor anti-ship rockets. Like the Hegemony version, the Lola III-C can manage its heat load effectively.

Our own version of the ship, the Lola III-W, add nine Nl/55, four NL/45, eight NAC/10, and four Barracuda, as well as an upgrade to Clan standard capital weaponry. The close in defences consist of eight layered anti-missile networks, each with an Arrow X, F-MIDS, and a Clantech Anti-Missile System, the F-MIDS copied from the Hegemony. Making life difficult for fighter, shuttles and DropShips are sixty-four Clan spec Ultra AC/10’s. Running the hottest of all four models, the heat system was again upgraded to manage the load.

As can be seen, all three upgrades of the venerable Star League Lola III do away with the excessive cargo of the original model, focusing the additional mass to the priorities of each’s doctrine. In the case of the Hegemony, structure and armor are the highest priority, then weapons, where the Clans place a premium on transport capacity. Our own needs fall in between this, making for a more versatile variant of the ship.

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #91 on: 28 March 2024, 21:02:22 »
Looks like there is going to be an unforeseen delay to Field Report: FWLM.

The mapping software I use is not responding for some reason, and it may take a few days for it to come back online.

That'll delay things for a bit as the mapping is central to completing both FWLM and Inner Sphere Supplement 3035.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #92 on: 29 March 2024, 08:57:30 »
Oof! Hope you can sort it out.  Hey, were spoiled getting nearly WEEKLY release of fan sourcebooks we could use in campaigning.  I'm very grateful for something new and different!

rufusexc

• Private
« Reply #93 on: 30 March 2024, 10:48:13 »
I know I am a nuisance, but I would like to make an observation regarding the Field Manual: DCMS volume. In the text it says Northern Court and Southern Court, echoing what happened in Japan in the latter part of the 1300s. But in space there is no North, South, West and East. So, the more correct terminology would be Coreward Court for the northern one and Rimward Court for the southern one.

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #94 on: 30 March 2024, 17:05:00 »
Despite the terms of astrography used in BT, this is a historical reference, therefore the historical terms are used as they fit more comfortably.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #95 on: 30 March 2024, 17:08:44 »
That's one of the best answers to that type of question I've seen... well done, good sir! :)

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #96 on: 30 March 2024, 21:22:26 »
Sneak Preview - Clan Field Reports

Since we just missed out on 12 releases in 12 weeks, here is a treat from one of the upcoming Clan Field Reports to make amends.

This is pre-full edit review and is laid out roughly, more as a concept test than a final version.

Enjoy the story of the Blood Spirits in the Kapteyn Universe.

rufusexc

• Private
« Reply #97 on: 31 March 2024, 02:44:13 »
Despite the terms of astrography used in BT, this is a historical reference, therefore the historical terms are used as they fit more comfortably.

I am sorry, but the terminology used in BT is what is commonly used to denote cardinal points in space.
For that matter, the term "Shogun" was not used to refer to the role of the Coordinator of the Draconis Combine, because such a position was held only by those descended from the Minamoto Clan, the first shogunate, i.e., the Ashigaka and Tokugawa. The Kurita having no relationship to these clans could not use such an office.
The division between the Northern and Southern Courts pertains to the Japanese Imperial Family, and for reasons similar to those described above, such terminology could never have been used.
If anything, if you really do not want to use Coreward and Rimward, then it would make more sense to use Luthien Court and Kessel Court. Although I think it would have made more sense that instead of Kessel, they would have chosen New Samarkand, which was previously used as the capital.

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #98 on: 31 March 2024, 03:59:34 »
Please stop.

I love that you like getting into the KU, but nit picking gets old real fast.

The choices made were for thematic reasons, they won't be getting changed.

If you don't like them, that's fine, but this thread is not for long dissertations on what small details irk people.

willis

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #99 on: 31 March 2024, 10:56:24 »
This series is pretty great work, well put together, eagerly awaiting the next installment....

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #100 on: 31 March 2024, 12:17:37 »
I am grateful how rich this fan project is. Result of massive Inner Sphere in Flames game! The choices were made by playersa while ago.

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #101 on: 04 April 2024, 01:26:28 »
KU 11 - Field Manual: FWLM

The League was all but gone, until Duncan Marik saved it from itself. In place of the old League a new, more centralised and ruthless League has arisen. Gone are the bickering of the provinces, replaced by a power Captain-Generals of the past could only dream of. The League’s foes are many, but Duncan Marik is as cunning as he is ruthless, and scores will be settled as the Eagle rises again.

Within this volume is a detailed accounting of the Free Worlds League Military and the Free Worlds League Navy. Brigade and regimental summaries, industrial listings, strategy and operational thinking, as well as the newest WarShips in the FWLN inventory are all detailed.

Book Structure:
Field Report: FWLM is a Kapteyn Universe fiction supplement designed to offer information on the state of the Free Worlds League Military (FWLM) following the Fourth Succession War and prior to the coming of the Clans of Kerensky.
  • The first section of the report— Free Worlds League Overview—provides a short look into the current state of the FWLM’s present condition and efforts, broken into three parts. The Strategic Update details the military’s current objectives, while Future Plans provides some potential insight into the future of the Free Worlds League Military and the Free Worlds League Navy discusses how the FWLM is rebuilding its warship forces.
  • The second section, Industries and Support, presents a overview of the Free Worlds League’s military industries, production and fleet after the end of the Fourth Succession War.
  • Line Units presents a short update on the history, current status and notable facts for each brigade of the FWLM.
  • Also included are details on the deployment of the FWLM and FWLN.

Orwell84

• Lieutenant
« Reply #102 on: 04 April 2024, 19:44:56 »
Thanks for uploading that, great to now have a complete set for all of the IS/Periphery factions. Looking forward to the 3034 update and then my favourite faction(s) of all.

Curious how this timeline's Clan Invasion will play out in 3035, and how the TH will react.
All Clan totems are equal but some are more equal than others.

"The Succession Wars solved no problem. Their effects, both immediate and indirect, were either negative or disastrous. Morally subversive, economically destructive, socially degrading, confused in their causes, devious in their course, futile in their results, they are the outstanding example in Spheroid history of meaningless conflict."
The Third Star League's view of the Succession Wars, plagiarised from an ancient Terran historian's judgement of the Thirty Years War.

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #103 on: 04 April 2024, 20:42:18 »
I have several ideas, but nothing absolutely set in stone just yet.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #104 on: 04 April 2024, 20:58:01 »
So the campaign you and your fellowplayers  waged that created the Kapteyn Universe isn't going evolve the same way it was played?

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #105 on: 04 April 2024, 21:03:27 »
It will evolve in a similar way, but I'll be posting on that soon, so folks know how things are going to progress.

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #106 on: 05 April 2024, 18:13:34 »
So, update for where things go from here.

To complete Supplement 3034, I need to redesign how the KU spreadsheets work. The way they were designed in the past was too granular, and focused on player support.

I am updating them to be easier to use and clean them up as well, as they got HUGE. That's this week's task.

Then I can roll through 3034 and move onto the Clan books.

After that, back to the novels.

So release speed is now going to drop, but for those here, I'll keep giving updates and provide some insights into the proposed development as I move along.

The universe will continue to develop along similar lines, I just need to take a moment to get everything lined up properly to make it easy to do so.

wolfcannon

• Lieutenant
    • wolfcannon's photobucket album
« Reply #107 on: 11 April 2024, 15:02:17 »
Question:  in AFFS book,  it’s mentioned Davion Armored Divisions,  is a exact number and composition known?
Daniels Avenger                Clan Coyote
General Jennifer Daniels    Galaxy Commander Jim Skyes
                                        Omicron Galaxy
Clan Wolf in Exile
328th Assault Cluster(the Lion Hearted)
Star Captain James Sword

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #108 on: 11 April 2024, 16:00:04 »
It was...

Originally in the game, we tracked conventional brigades/divisions, aerospace wings/ regiments, and assault DropShip Wings.

However it became too much to track, and players were focusing on Mech regiments.

So we went with just Mech units after that, but represented attached conventional and aero units in the overall stat's.

More mech units will appear in Supplemental 3034, which were created to fill the hole in the rosters with the deletion of the conventional units.

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #109 on: 13 April 2024, 02:10:55 »
The good news is that the sheets are now fully updated and I'll commence completing the events of 3034 from tomorrow.

The updating of the sheets was a lot easier than I thought it would be. Which means my skills are better than they used to be, or I have missed something critical...  :grin:

I'll give some details along the way about what is happening across the Inner Sphere as we go. It will be a couple of weeks before Supplement 3034 drops, but the work is underway.

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #110 on: 22 April 2024, 00:56:37 »
As 3034 gets sorted out - August is nearly complete, I'll be setting up new streams for events in 3033 and 3034 to tide you over until the book is ready.

The Terran News Network (TNN) will be bringing you all the news from the big events across the Inner Sphere.

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #111 on: 22 April 2024, 01:06:26 »
****TNN News Alert**** 23023033 – 14:52////BEGIN TRANSMISSION////The world of Destiny (formerly the abandoned colony of New Stevens) has been put on a partial travel ban by the Hegemony. Any travel to the world is via THN crewed vessels only, and travel beyond the new colony’s boundaries are strictly prohibited. No word has been forthcoming if Succession War atrocities have re-emerged to threaten the colony.\\\\END TRANSMISSION\\\\

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #112 on: 22 April 2024, 01:23:38 »
****TNN News Alert****23073033 – 11:08////BEGIN TRANSMISSION//// The THN today announced the successful acceptance of the Triumph-class corvettes THS Centaurus and THS Altair into service. The Triumph-class is the latest Hegemony WarShip design and is expected to form the backbone of the fleet’s raiding and reconnaissance units until the end of the century.\\\\END TRANSMISSION\\\\

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #113 on: 22 April 2024, 01:23:58 »
****TNN News Alert****02033033 – 23:16////BEGIN TRANSMISSION//// The Lyran Commonwealth’s efforts to match Combine and Hegemony shipbuilding efforts continue to accelerate under Archon Melissa Steiner Davion’s Naval Expansion Plan. New yards have begun construction of vessels over Tharkad, though it is not yet clear what the three new yards will produce. Rumours of a new Battlecruiser are rife, though no confirmation has as yet been received. \\\\END TRANSMISSION\\\\

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #114 on: 22 April 2024, 01:24:12 »
****TNN News Alert****11033033 – 07:45////BEGIN TRANSMISSION//// TNN’s Luthien correspondent reports that at least eight and possibly as many as fourteen new regiments are in service with the Draconis Combine Mustered Soldiery. This significant increase in strength since 3032 has many on Oberon and Tharkad wary, as troop numbers in the new Trondheim Military District continue to climb. Oberon has been vociferous in condemning DCMS actions in the former Rasalhague Principality and calls the continued increases in military force both provocative and destabilising. \\\\END TRANSMISSION\\\\

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #115 on: 22 April 2024, 01:24:22 »
****TNN News Alert****29033033 – 09:50////BEGIN TRANSMISSION//// The Taurian Defence Force is undergoing a major reorganisation that is redeploying regiments across the Concordat, while in the words of Protector Calderon “Greatly increasing the capacity of the TDF to defend the realm, and take war to our foes if needed.” This news has been greeted less than enthusiastically by Sian, New Avalon and Granera, as it denotes a potential for aggressive Taurian adventurism, something never before considered by the Concordat. \\\\END TRANSMISSION\\\\
« Last Edit: 24 April 2024, 18:23:38 by Blacknova »

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #116 on: 24 April 2024, 18:22:34 »
****TNN WAR WARNING TO ALL CORROSPONDANTS****05053033 – 19:40////BEGIN TRANSMISSION//// Significant troop movements have been noted in several states. Within the Free Worlds League, Draconis Combine, Finmark Federation and Rimward of the Capellan Confederation, movements of troops are consistent with the positioning of forces for offensive actions. All correspondents are advised to take all precautions necessary for the safety of their teams. \\\\END TRANSMISSION\\\\

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #117 on: 24 April 2024, 18:26:10 »
****TNN News Alert****02063033 – 21:20////BEGIN TRANSMISSION//// Hegemony Intelligence claims to have largely eradicated the remnant elements of ComStar's ROM, and assesses the future capabilities of any remnant of ComStar to be largely insignificant. Coming less than a decade after the fall of the centuries old order, this announcement by the HID signals the final footnote in the Order's history.\\\\END TRANSMISSION\\\\

Register