Author Topic: The Kapteyn Universe  (Read 6625 times)

rufusexc

• Private
Re: The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #30 on: 11 February 2024, 05:00:35 »
I picked them up and started reading them. Thank you!

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
  • I am Thomas Hogarth's Love Child
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #31 on: 12 February 2024, 00:50:31 »
I picked them up and started reading them. Thank you!

Hope you enjoy them.
Dedicated to committing viciously gratuitous bastardy of the first order.

Unofficial LD for 2 seconds - It was a glorious moment!

"They can bring it. We fought off an army of guys who wore 20 pound decorative brass shoulder pauldrons. I'm not afraid of the Disney Land mascot brigade" - MadCapellan, in reference to the Confederation possibly facing the Clans.

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #32 on: 16 February 2024, 16:01:14 »
KU 05 - Field Manual: AFFS

Available here: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/68p8roygnszkdw4s83rtb/h?rlkey=hqj6s2oeu8faa4g6ejzilzkpc&dl=0

Once the dominant power in the Inner Sphere, the Federated Suns has suffered significant reversals in the last decade. The alliance with House Steiner was never made whole through the physical uniting of the Commonwealth and the Suns, and now House Davion faces rejuvenated foes on all sides.

Within this volume, is a detailed accounting of the Armed Forces of the Federated Suns and the Federated Suns Navy. Brigade and regimental summaries, industrial listings, strategy and operational thinking, as well as the newest WarShips in the FSN inventory are all detailed.

Book Structure:
Field Report: AFFS is a Kapteyn Universe fiction supplement designed to offer information on the state of the Armed Forces of the Federated Suns (AFFS) following the Fourth Succession War and prior to the coming of the Clans of Kerensky.
  • The first section of the report—Federated Suns Overview—provides a short look into the current state of the AFFS’ present condition and efforts, broken into three parts. The Strategic Update details the military’s current objectives, while Future Plans provides some potential insight into the future of the Federated Suns and the Federated Suns’ Navy discusses how the AFFS is rebuilding its warship forces.
  • The second section, Industries and Support, presents a overview of the Federated Suns’  military industries, production and fleet after the end of the Fourth Succession War.
  • Line Units presents a short update on the history, current status and notable facts for each brigade of the AFFS.
  • Also included are details on the new WarShips of the Federated Suns Navy and a map showing the deployment of the AFFS and FSN.

NOTE: This is an updated version of the previous KU Field Report: AFFS.

Want More From The Kapteyn Universe
For more from the Kapteyn Universe, come and join the KU Discord https://discord.gg/YjHSU3PSyM
« Last Edit: 23 February 2024, 22:23:51 by Blacknova »

"They can bring it. We fought off an army of guys who wore 20 pound decorative brass shoulder pauldrons. I'm not afraid of the Disney Land mascot brigade" - MadCapellan, in reference to the Confederation possibly facing the Clans.

rufusexc

• Private
« Reply #33 on: 17 February 2024, 13:28:38 »
Thank you!
You will be ahead of time to see the changes compared to the previous version.

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #34 on: 17 February 2024, 18:30:05 »
Most of the changes are pretty minor, designed to align AFFS with the other new KU releases and add some small continuity details.

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
« Reply #35 on: 17 February 2024, 19:05:24 »
Tagged.
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

Hairbear541

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #36 on: 18 February 2024, 22:06:52 »
evening bn , you mentioned a foreign built corvette called a stilleto flying fsn colors . if i'm remembering correctly , some years back a stilleto class corvette was built by the oberon navy . am i correct ?
now on another tangent , how about doing a TRO style book on all your naval units , be they WS or PWS or DS .

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #37 on: 18 February 2024, 22:13:39 »
Hi Hairbear541.

The Stiletto is an Oberon built variant of the Capellan Shoung Bi Shou-class corvette, which was also built by the Draconis Combine as the Sengoku-class.

The class is not being actively built anymore and navies that are deploying second generation vessels are largely doing away with the tiny ship.

I don't have plans for a TRO at all at the moment, though I appreciate folks wanting to see one. Personally, I don't find TRO's all that interesting, so writing one is not very high on my priorities for the KU.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #38 on: 19 February 2024, 08:33:08 »
Sounds like something that would have been part of TRO: 2800 from Shattered Dawn AU
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Takiro

• Lieutenant
  • BattleTech: Salient Horizon
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #39 on: 19 February 2024, 09:33:19 »
I don't have plans for a TRO at all at the moment, though I appreciate folks wanting to see one. Personally, I don't find TRO's all that interesting, so writing one is not very high on my priorities for the KU.

I hear you Nova, it is easy to get lost in the TRO weeds for me to speak. Currently I'm slogging along in my Optimized and Quicksilver projects which should be great once completed. However, I must confess my preference for Sourcebooks personally which detail history, organization, hint at future progression, etc. I get that it is a little too deep for people too but I'm not a novelizer either even though they have their place too. I like reading the story and hearing the personal motivators that drive the greater universe. When you combine all three like the BattleTech universe does so effectively throughout its rich history that is when you make the magic that I really love.

Sounds like something that would have been part of TRO: 2800 from Shattered Dawn AU

Well, that was born initially from Liam's Ghost Naval Archive which Irose and myself jumped aboard so long ago. Many others (including the canon TRO 3057 Revised) have produced their own vision of warship heaven. ;)

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #40 on: 19 February 2024, 21:21:23 »
If there was someone out there with skills and time to pull a KU TRO together, I would support it, as long as they could lay it out as well. I am not against it, just don't really have the capacity myself to do it.
« Last Edit: 19 February 2024, 21:25:43 by Blacknova »

willis

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #41 on: 19 February 2024, 22:20:00 »
If you have the fluff, unit stats, art and backgrounds I could format it into a pdf.

Some of the TROs I have done are:
The Wars of Grievance
Delranes Combat Equipment 3059
Project Nelson
Project Zhukov
Ghost & Shadows

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #42 on: 20 February 2024, 16:44:48 »
You put the
If you have the fluff, unit stats, art and backgrounds I could format it into a pdf.

Some of the TROs I have done are:
The Wars of Grievance
Delranes Combat Equipment 3059
Project Nelson
Project Zhukov
Ghost & Shadows
wait wait wait.   You Put marauder648 stuff together?
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

willis

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #43 on: 20 February 2024, 17:34:09 »
''wait wait wait.   You Put marauder648 stuff together?''

That would be a resounding yessir.... :grin:

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
« Reply #44 on: 20 February 2024, 17:47:09 »
Blake Threat File
TRO 3176 Hegemony Refits
XTRO The Periphery
(and many more unfinished ones)

TEACH US, SENSEI!!

No, seriously, do youtube videos or something.  Nobody knows this stuff!
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #45 on: 23 February 2024, 22:38:32 »
KU 06 - Field Manual: LCAF

Available here: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/68p8roygnszkdw4s83rtb/h?rlkey=hqj6s2oeu8faa4g6ejzilzkpc&dl=0

Ravaged by the Fourth Succession War, the Lyran Commonwealth has fallen back on its tow greatest weapons: its industry, and its newfound diplomatic strengths. The former has allowed the Commonwealth to survive, the latter to thrive.

Within this volume is a detailed accounting of the Lyran Commonwealth Armed Forces and the Lyran Commonwealth Navy. Brigade and regimental summaries, industrial listings, strategy and operational thinking, as well as the newest WarShips in the LCN inventory are all detailed.

Book Structure:
Field Report: LCAF is a Kapteyn Universe fiction supplement designed to offer information on the state of the Lyran Commonwealth Armed Forces (LCAF) following the Fourth Succession War and prior to the coming of the Clans of Kerensky.
  • The first section of the report—Lyran Commonwealth Overview—provides a short look into the current state of the LCAF’s present condition and efforts, broken into three parts. The Strategic Update details the military’s current objectives, while Future Plans provides some potential insight into the future of the Lyran Commonwealth.
  • The second section, Industries and Support, presents a overview of the Lyran Commonwealth’s military industries, production and fleet after the end of the Fourth Succession War.
  • Line Units presents a short update on the history, current status and notable facts for each brigade of the LCAF.
  • Also included are details on the new WarShips of the Lyran Commonwealth Navy and a map showing the deployment of the LCAF and LCN.

Want More From The Kapteyn Universe
For more from the Kapteyn Universe, come and join the KU Discord https://discord.gg/YjHSU3PSyM
« Last Edit: 01 March 2024, 16:31:29 by Blacknova »

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #46 on: 23 February 2024, 22:52:53 »
OK, now LCAF is up I can talk about the interest in a KU TRO.

So firstly, this is low on the priority order, but not beyond doing if people want to be involved to help make it happen.

HOWEVER, this comes with a lot of caveats, as it's not something I would tackle alone and would want someone else driving the project.

I want it to look the part of the KU, so on that front I'd at the minimum set up the layout template.

I might do the layout myself, but that would require that whoever wanted to join in was able to build the TRO text and stats to a level where I am not having to rewrite and do wholesale edits - proofing is one thing, re-writes are another.

Happy to hand over layout as well, but that means access to certain programs, so not going to die on that hill, I can lay it out if necessary.

We'd need to get a plan in place so that it all comes together holistically, and the writer/s would get some insights into the future of the KU and have some fun designing some really interesting units.

If anyone is interested and is a descent writer, please reach out to me via PM and we can then set something up on the Discord to drive it along. I you just want to design units, that's cool too, there are a few that would need doing.

I am happy to bring this to life, but in order to do so, need support to do it, as I still have five Field Manuals and another Supplemental in the works that have my focus at the moment.

So yes, you all wore me down, and I really appreciate the support, encouragement and interest from you all. Really glad you are enjoying the KU and I hope I can bring you more to enjoy over the coming months.

rufusexc

• Private
« Reply #47 on: 24 February 2024, 13:44:25 »
Most of the changes are pretty minor, designed to align AFFS with the other new KU releases and add some small continuity details.

Yes, I saw that you added the list of warships. Modified the various units by adding equipment technology. Added mercenary units.

rufusexc

• Private
« Reply #48 on: 24 February 2024, 13:54:01 »
KU 05 - Field Manual: LCAF

Why is Alarion co-producing the Aegis heavy cruisers? The Sovetskii Soyuz are newer and are therefore more attractive to Earth Hegemony.

rufusexc

• Private
« Reply #49 on: 24 February 2024, 13:57:16 »
Why aren't all the Davion Guards/Royal Guards equipped with Star League technology? They should take precedence over all other units. As well as units considered Elite and those whose loyalty and fanatical should receive the most advanced equipment as a priority.

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #50 on: 24 February 2024, 14:41:21 »
Why is Alarion co-producing the Aegis heavy cruisers? The Sovetskii Soyuz are newer and are therefore more attractive to Earth Hegemony.

Because the player chose to put them into production for the Commonwealth. All states had access to 2750 designs in the game, and the Lyran player wanted to use the Aegis.

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #51 on: 24 February 2024, 14:45:58 »
Why aren't all the Davion Guards/Royal Guards equipped with Star League technology? They should take precedence over all other units. As well as units considered Elite and those whose loyalty and fanatical should receive the most advanced equipment as a priority.

I can't quite recall the Davion player's reason at the time, that was 10 years ago. It did make sense at the time though.

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #52 on: 24 February 2024, 23:06:52 »
Thanks for sharing all this hard work!  Love them!
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

drakensis

• Lieutenant
« Reply #53 on: 25 February 2024, 01:14:26 »
As the player for House Davion, IIRC, for the AFFS, it's because there wasn't enough Star League technology available to them yet. It's enormously expensive to upgrade and the costs under the rules we gamed meant that I didn't have enough funds to tool up and meet all the other options. The Davion Guards do have most of the available lostech units - only two commands outside of them have any.
"It's national writing month, not national writing week and a half you jerk" - Consequences, 9th November 2018

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #54 on: 25 February 2024, 01:23:40 »
And IIRC, you also prioritised commands that had some combat capability if called on to fight, and the Guards took a mauling in the 4th War.

eaglenine2

• Recruit
« Reply #55 on: 25 February 2024, 08:13:45 »
Question why are APC produced in low amounts?

Iron Grenadier

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #56 on: 25 February 2024, 11:37:42 »
Question why are APC produced in low amounts?

For the Lyrans? I'd guess it's due to not having as many RCT's currently. There's a huge planned upgrade for many of the commands to RCT's by 3040 I believe it was, so that's (in theory) plenty of time to ramp up production of them.

(They are producing 120 total of the Heavy APC's each year it looks like, alongside 120 total "regular" APC's)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #57 on: 25 February 2024, 13:02:36 »
I'm all on board for Naval Fighting Ships of KU

Iron Grenadier

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #58 on: 25 February 2024, 14:12:04 »
I think I'd be more interested in the new combat vehicles...

I'd guess though, there's probably just enough new mechs, vehicles and warships to fill out a TRO.

Are/were there new drop ships created? I don't recall any from the fiction off hand

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #59 on: 25 February 2024, 15:48:44 »
No, there were no new DropShips.

Register