Author Topic: 'Mech of the Whenever I Want - Gravedigger GDR-XX  (Read 3926 times)

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
'Mech of the Whenever I Want - Gravedigger GDR-XX
« on: 26 June 2020, 12:59:36 »
The Gravedigger, from Technical Readout: 3150 / TRO:3145 - The Clans

Although the Second Combine-Dominion War was remarkable for its large and noticeable economic and societal impacts on Clan Nova Cat, it would be a bit of a stretch to claim that the Rasalhague Dominion escaped completely unscathed. Heavy combat on Orestes in 3099 demolished the massive Odin Manufacturing 'Mech lines. With those lines having already suffered considerable damage during the Jihad, this effective reset threatened to bankrupt the company, one that had previously built up a solid reputation with popular designs such as the Beowulf, Karhu, and Ostscout. The Gravedigger was a last ditch attempt to quickly build up enough liquidity to keep the company afloat.

The only line that had been reactivated by the end was 3099 was producing small numbers of Shadow Hawks for the KungsArmé. This is where we can start to infer certain things; the Gravedigger uses the Shadow Hawk SHD-12C's Kallon Type VII Endo-Steel Chassis, while its Dash-2 Communications and Blade 12 Targeting systems had seen additional use on the Beowulf and Karhu BattleMechs. We can guess that Odin was able to keep manufacturing larger numbers of those systems even if most of their other major production lines were destroyed. Dropping the Gravedigger's chassis weight down to 50 tons allowed Odin to fit a Spheroid-spec Nissan 200 XL onto it, giving it a relatively slow top speed of 65 kph (4/6). This engine could be imported from the Republic (where it was used for their Hunchback HBK-7R) or from anywhere, really, since it was an engine commonly used for the mass-produced Blackjack OmniMech. Even the armor composites were widely available, having first seen use on the venerable Arcas; here there was no corner cutting, and a full eleven tons (169 points) of the standard plate were mounted.

The result base chassis was likely rather cheap for Odin to start a line for. Hitting production in 3102, the base weaponry of the GDR-1C reflects a continued austerity in the 'Mech's design. A standard Large Laser was mounted in the left arm, while a LRM-15 was fitted in the right torso. The most advanced piece of hardware is the still somewhat simple Rotary AC/5 installed in the right arm. Two tons of ammunition per weapon were all kept in the CASE II-protected right torso, giving decent endurance for the LRM launcher but poor endurance for the RAC. The all was easily kept cool by ten double heat sinks.

Taken as a whole, this 'Mech is somewhat unimpressive for its era. Although the TRO entry namedrops another 50-ton 'Mech, the Hunchback, I was reminded more of other generalist troopers such as the much-heavier Orion ON1-M or the slightly faster Grim Reaper. Even so, the combination of an XL engine and only 19 points of armor per side torso means that this trooper should stay in more of a support role, never attempting to close before most of its LRM ammo has been expended. The Large Laser and RAC-5 don't mesh well with long-ranged combat, however, whereas pulling into shorter ranges highlights the vulnerabilities of such this slower 'Mech. As a result, combining firepower with other 'Mechs is essential to get the most mileage out of this 'Mech; FWL players should feel right at home at the helm of this Gravedigger. But attempts to follow Zellbrigen—or engaging in any sort of duel—should be avoided.

The GDR-1D variant didn't do much to change this paradigm. Appearing in 3105, the spheroid XL engine, armor, and structure were left untouched, with only the armament and equipment being revisited. A Clan ERPPC was a substantial upgrade for the Large Laser, while a Clan LB 5-X AC stepped in for the RAC and a Streak LRM-15 replaced the bog standard missile rack. A heavy electronics package was added via an Angel ECM Suite and an Active Probe, and ammunition was reduced to a single ton of ammo per weapon. It's interesting to note that this variant appears to be the 'Mech that finally solved Odin Manufacturing's previous problems with combining Spheroid and Clan technologies, with none of the technical glitches that plagued the Beowulf C, Beowulf IIC, or Karhu making a reappearance.

This Gravedigger, instead of struggling to find a niche like the GDR-1C, is instead a rather potent direct-fire sniper. I don't really have any qualms with this variant; though the LB-X is forced to choose between cluster or slug rounds, two tons of ammo would feel excessive on the design. Here the Gravedigger becomes an excellent complement for the Ursus, Hunchback, or other tougher brawlers. Just keep in mind that even if the weapons on the GDR-1D are Clantech, the engine is still a Spheroid XL, and you will instantly lose the 'Mech if a side torso is destroyed. I would suggest using it similarly to the old Loki (Prime) - they're both rather vulnerable, so taking care to eke out an advantage by using its range and above-average electronic suite is important.

Both variants were widely sold on the open market; the Gravedigger GDR-1C was largely credited with saving Odin Manufacturing from bankruptcy. Only available to mercenaries, they seem to have taken a particular liking to this variant. I personally feel like the design goes firmly against most mercenary principles, with its ammunition-hungry weapons, lack of ammo for the RAC, and vulnerable XL engine. But there's always the in-universe price-point that we'll never know, however, so it's possible that GDR-1C's were offered at amazing prices. The GDR-1D is available to mercenaries as well, but is also the variant fielded by the military of the Rasalhague Dominion. No matter the variant, both pack a punch for their size, but - and I will continue to emphasize this until the very last word - do NOT let the Gravedigger attract too much attention. Let it hang back, support other units, and only come in to finish the job once everything else on the field is well damaged. It's slow speed and fragile XL do not allow for many mistakes, so play them cautiously.

~ ~ ~

Iron Wind Metals: https://store.ironwindmetals.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=9475&osCsid=srti52i34r3g4ke145bi1a3ac1
  • Note: The Gravedigger is currently only available as part of the Undead Lance pack.
Master Unit List: http://www.masterunitlist.info/Unit/Details/6264/gravedigger-gdr-1d
Camospecs: There are currently no painted Gravediggers on Camospecs, so feel free to post your own!
« Last Edit: 26 June 2020, 16:15:10 by GreekFire »
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

Decoy

• Captain
Re: 'Mech of the Whenever I Want - Gravedigger GDR-XX
« Reply #1 on: 26 June 2020, 14:05:18 »
I use two old rules to determine 'mech prices in 3150. One is from the various strategic level games and that rule says that by a certain tech level, military units are one third their listed price. From Merc Handbook 3055, I add to this that any unit that has been in production for five years or more reduces its price by 25%. This brings 'mech prices down to less than a quarter of their listed price and explains how merc units are buying lances of Koshi (standards) among other things.

As far as the RAC goes, look at it as a back up weapon. You throw it in at low rates of fire (and low heat gain) to support the others and only use full auto when you're sure of the shot. Either that or Clan mentality seeped into Odin's design staff. Who needs reloads if you win the battle now?

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 26 June 2020, 15:52:00 »
Just a quick comment before digging in more deeply (no pun intended): the 'Mech is from TRO 3145 Clans originally. I say this because i was confused at first and thought the Gravedigger was one of those non-TRO3145[faction] 'Mechs included in the TRO3150.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 26 June 2020, 16:13:43 »
Too slow. Yes, it has tough shell for its size but the XL engine on top of that is not good. The Blackjack Omni can get away with it because it is both older and as an Omni you can configure it for good ranged support or whatever you may need. This thing, nope.
The large laser/LRM-15/RAC-5 is pretty nifty combo actually, though i'm mildly concerned about only two tons of RAC ammo. Then again, as long as you don't fire full bore, it should be passable. Unfortunately, this brawling set is let down by lack of speed.

The Clan-armed successor model is better. Extra range, good hole puncher and a weapon to exploit holes. The Streak LRM is a bit questionable here really, though if compared to ballistic direct-fire weapons, it is actually great. Standard Clan LRM, maybe with Artemis V, would've been better though, to retain option for indirect fire and maybe alternate munitions.
The really weird part are the electronics. On this slow platform? An Angel carrier to provide protective ECM bubble for a lance or star is good, but this is too slow!

It does look reasonable though, and if i were making a second-line Rasalhague or Dark Age merc unit, i would consider this 'Mech. Just needs something more dangerous to back it up, that takes attention away from the Gravedigger.

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #4 on: 26 June 2020, 16:26:51 »
Just a quick comment before digging in more deeply (no pun intended): the 'Mech is from TRO 3145 Clans originally. I say this because i was confused at first and thought the Gravedigger was one of those non-TRO3145[faction] 'Mechs included in the TRO3150.

Good point, I edited that in. My thought process was to avoid mentioning the miniTRO to avoid having new fans purchase the older product, but on second thought they'll probably figure it out on their own.

As far as the RAC goes, look at it as a back up weapon. You throw it in at low rates of fire (and low heat gain) to support the others and only use full auto when you're sure of the shot.
The large laser/LRM-15/RAC-5 is pretty nifty combo actually, though i'm mildly concerned about only two tons of RAC ammo. Then again, as long as you don't fire full bore, it should be passable. Unfortunately, this brawling set is let down by lack of speed.

I personally would have preferred one ton of ammo for the LRM-15, three tons of ammo for the RAC. Make the LRM the support weapon instead, since it's the one with the brackets that don't match up with the rest of the 'Mech. Then it'd be able to use the LRM while closing, but not have to worry about having an ammo bomb once within brawling range.

An ERLL would have also been welcome, but I'm not sure if the Clickytech game dictated the Gravedigger's stats. I did hunt around and couldn't find any, but who knows.

The really weird part are the electronics. On this slow platform? An Angel carrier to provide protective ECM bubble for a lance or star is good, but this is too slow.

The Active Probe, although it does look strange on the Gravedigger, can be helpful at spotting flankers or headhunters before they can become a major problem for such a slow and long-ranged 'Mech. It makes me wonder how well it would fair as part of a Command Lance, with Angel helping to blanket the other friendlies in ECM, the Probe helping to prevent the commander from being outflanked, long-range firepower to still be able to contribute to the battle at hand, and enough fragility to attract enemy firepower instead of the commander (lol)..

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #5 on: 26 June 2020, 16:51:34 »
This is a designed destined for Dominion garrisons and sold on the market to recover.  For the Bears it gives them a 4/6 design to go with others in that star at that weight- like Kodiaks, Ursus I & II, Warhammer IICs, and other slower non-Omni formations.  For the IS, the -1C its going to be a body guard for most fire support platforms- stand it next to a pair of Archers and a old 3025 Jagermech.  The Streak contributes to the long range fire while the RAC/5 and LL provide a 5 hex bubble to help protect the others.  I would have preferred a cERLL but again on a budget there should have been plenty of LL sitting around and is the only real weapons' cost cutting measure.  After time, I would expect most in the Dominion to be shifted to training commands.

The -1D is a actual fire support platform that can also protect its fellows better.  The ERPPC, LRM15 & LB-5X with Angel ECM makes it pretty solid even against other Clan mechs in its range . . . sure it might end up fighting the Crusader Wolves' Sun Cobra with its double Gauss Rifles.  The Sun Cobra is the same speed though I think the Gravedigger will out perform it since the Sun Cobra gets 2 hits a turn while the Gravedigger gets one equivalent hit, up to 5 pt hits x3, and 5 single pebbles at nearly the same ranges.  Take 2 gauss hits to the same torso and you have a problem but its not a high probability as a quick result.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #6 on: 26 June 2020, 18:31:13 »
Yeah, it defiantly looses out to mechs like the Enforcer and Centurion in the same weight class.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Decoy

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 26 June 2020, 18:33:26 »
I think all versions of the Sun Cobra have Targeting Computers. Jump Jets too. The Sun Cobra can control the battle field better....at least until their ammo runs out.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #8 on: 26 June 2020, 19:25:06 »
The 1, with Gauss Rifles has a TC but no JJ, has a XL and 14 armor on the side torsos . . . the 2 goes faster, has more armor IIRC, JJ's and the TC I think . . . but its IS ERPPCs?
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #9 on: 26 June 2020, 21:48:57 »
Neither has jump jets. And the Sun Cobra 2 has Clan PPCs, and moves 6/9. Adds 3.5 tons of armor, keeps the TC.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Orin J.

• Captain
  • I am to feared! Aw, come on guys...
« Reply #10 on: 26 June 2020, 22:04:44 »
if there's one thing i like, it's asymmetrical designs- and man, i love the gravedigger's look. that combination of swollen missile-bearing torso and stripped down laser arm, the head crammed as far into the torso as it'll go in spite of everything, i even like the exposed weapon feeds on this design, and normally those things make me livid. i spent a LOT of energy trying to score one of these when little plastic 'mechs with overcomplicated basing gimmicks were a thing.

that said it's just an Argus that went on a diet at the end of the day.
The Grey Death Legion? Dead? Gotcha, wake me when it's back.....
--------------------------
Every once in a while things make sense.

Don't let these moments alarm you. They pass.

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #11 on: 26 June 2020, 22:16:42 »
The -1D is a actual fire support platform that can also protect its fellows better.  The ERPPC, LRM15 & LB-5X with Angel ECM makes it pretty solid even against other Clan mechs in its range . . . sure it might end up fighting the Crusader Wolves' Sun Cobra with its double Gauss Rifles.  The Sun Cobra is the same speed though I think the Gravedigger will out perform it since the Sun Cobra gets 2 hits a turn while the Gravedigger gets one equivalent hit, up to 5 pt hits x3, and 5 single pebbles at nearly the same ranges.  Take 2 gauss hits to the same torso and you have a problem but its not a high probability as a quick result.

The -1D is OK, but you're falling into the 1v1 trap. The Gravedigger, no matter which variant, can't pull a 1v1. Except, yeah, maybe against the standard Sun Cobra, but that's mostly because the standard Sun Cobra is a walking pile of shit.

But against other common mediums in Clan space? Things like the Gyrfalcon, Lobo, or Mongrel? My money's on the Gravedigger going down, hard. It's just too slow. It needs to work as part of a larger team.

Now, against them Kuritans, maybe it has a chance. But even then it'd depend on the 'Mech.

Decoy

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: 26 June 2020, 23:36:23 »
The 1, with Gauss Rifles has a TC but no JJ, has a XL and 14 armor on the side torsos . . . the 2 goes faster, has more armor IIRC, JJ's and the TC I think . . . but its IS ERPPCs?

=\ the MWDA stats  blurred with the BattleTech stats for me. A few of the figures for the Sun Cobra had jump jets.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #13 on: 26 June 2020, 23:41:37 »
Lol, there is a reason I only mentioned the Sun Cobra among the Wolves.

Honestly, I like both of them- the -1D is a precursor of the Cs we are going to see.  But yeah, its a backfield mech that you let the tank move up front.
Colt Ward

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: 27 June 2020, 07:04:57 »
It certainly has striking looks.
Now, having not looked up the other two mechs in the series at all, I see a theme of XL engines and a variant with advanced electronics. And no convincing mainline combatants.

Pity there's no version that just updates the Cs weaponry to clan.
Savannah Masters are the Pringles of Battletech.
Ooo! OOOOOOO! That was a bad one!...and I liked it.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #15 on: 27 June 2020, 11:06:51 »
Pity there's no version that just updates the Cs weaponry to clan.

Really its the LL being replaced with a cERLL is all that is needed, opens the range up and you get a ton that can be used for other things- RAC ammo for instance.
Colt Ward

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #16 on: 27 June 2020, 12:50:21 »
Really its the LL being replaced with a cERLL is all that is needed, opens the range up and you get a ton that can be used for other things- RAC ammo for instance.

Go both routes, with a cERLL and cLRM-15, and that's enough tonnage to swap the RAC for a HAG/30 as well.
That'd be a pretty decent ranged sniper.

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: 27 June 2020, 12:56:18 »
I'd have preferred a cRAC and cLPL as that results in rather similar range bands.
Still, non-existent variants don't exist.  :P
Comparing the two, the Cadaver has more of a role than the Gravedigger (comparing the themed mechs here, I know they don't share any real similarities besides the above mentioned).
On the battlefield, I mean, obviously the job of the Gravedigger to be a quick supplier of funds was apparently fulfilled admirably.
Savannah Masters are the Pringles of Battletech.
Ooo! OOOOOOO! That was a bad one!...and I liked it.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #18 on: 27 June 2020, 20:26:07 »
I was always under the impression that Mech's issues were related to the MWDA's stats.  It was one of the unique Gunslinger expansions of Mechs and pilots. 
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Register