Author Topic: Liao/Davion vs Rasalhague/Steiner  (Read 3066 times)

disasteravo

Liao/Davion vs Rasalhague/Steiner
« on: 08 February 2011, 14:51:36 »
Hello everyone,

I would like to know what is the difference between http://www.warrenborn.com/Unit.php?ID=AN-SA-011 (Liao/Davion alliance) and http://www.warrenborn.com/Unit.php?ID=VG-SA-018 (Steiner Rasalhague alliance)

I understand that in the Davion-Liao you can use the modified attack value of the other unit (with pilots) and then add your own pilor modifiers later (if able) while in the Rasalhague-Steiner you can use the unmodified attack value add your own pilor modifiers later

Thanks in advance,

Humansquish

• Master Sergeant
Re: Liao/Davion vs Rasalhague/Steiner
« Reply #1 on: 08 February 2011, 16:54:51 »
Seems to me that the Liao/Davion one is slightly less better being that both units would gain a token/heat, instead of just the one being modified.
"Oh no. They've made FASAfizzicks in reality. We're doomed."-Dread Moores

dethtungue

• Corporal
« Reply #2 on: 08 February 2011, 16:55:30 »
One difference: the Steiner/RHD does not require the player to put an order token or give heat to the unit providing the unmodified attack value.  In effect, if using another unit's attack value - call it the assisting unit and it is an infantry or vehicle, that (assisting) unit could still be given an order that turn when using the Steiner/RHD SA.  In the case of a Mech providing the unmodded attack value, the Mech would be able to be given an order without the additional click of heat.

Furthermore, the (assisting) unit may be leveraged for its unmodded attack value even if it had already received an order that turn the way I read it.

Another difference, the choice of (assisting) units is not limited to units that have a clear line of fire to the target; a limitation with the Davion/Liao SA.

Moderator!  Can this be moved or  renamed to "Rules Questions" so that we can maintain a single thread for these types of questions as we did before the forums Jihad?

Thanks.

GhostCat

• Lieutenant
  • If A, then B, The Evil Genius Argument
« Reply #3 on: 08 February 2011, 18:25:30 »
This looks like somebody wants to add two pilot modifiers to one attack value, and I have to say that SA-11 is really messy with the wording.  SA-18 does seem to be written better with less unnecessary text.

Even so, in both cases we are dealing with a replacement value.  Because the wording of the two cards is more or less specific about what is being replaced and how, I'd say that SA-11 would use the friendly unit's modified value as is and not add any modifiers of it's own, this is assuming the friendly unit actually has a better attack value and still has to qualify with a clear line of fire to the target.

SA-18 does not require a clear line of fire, but the shared attack value must be the unmodified number printed on the dial and I might suppose that the attacking unit can not add any modifiers of it's own.  This is again assuming the unmodified value being shared is still superior to the actual attacker.

It is hard these days to say for certain what WK actually intended with these cards, but going with them as worded without interperative guess work is the best way. 

*** Yes a special purpose Rules thread would be nice, though 600 posts on one thread will make some wonder which Rule or how many rules need so much attention.  Then again, even on the WK site with a whole forum just for Rules questions, nobody ever searched to see if their question had already been asked and answered by another.

We have a good community able to explain the rules to new players.  My comments above are just an opinion on how the cards should be used.  Personally, I think all Situation Alliance cards should be used to start a bonfire. 

GC
"Spirit Cats are just pirates basically." --- Quote from Herb

disasteravo

« Reply #4 on: 09 February 2011, 09:52:43 »
Thanks you for the answers. I think GC is right.

The Liao/Davion seems worse because of requiring the clear line of sight, but using the modified attack value makes it worth and (in my opinion) better than the Steiner/RHD

And yes... I wanted to add two pilot modifiers to the attack value  :P But now that I have a clearer idea I won't  :-X

Thanks again