Author Topic: All info regarding Palmyra in 3143-5  (Read 8752 times)

Deathknight69

• Captain
  • Supernaturalizing the universe !!
All info regarding Palmyra in 3143-5
« on: 02 June 2014, 17:18:52 »
Hey gang I'm looking for all the info I can find for Caleb Davion's brainfart and it's aftermath.

I'm working on some backstory for a new unit. I've read FM:3145, ER:3145 and checked Sarna.net.  Have I missed anything?

Thx,

D69
"Remember kids, Ammo explosion's are as much fun as friendly fire and incoming fire has the right-of-way." - ShadowSeraph
Avatar by Wombat, Thanks again to the blue fuzzy marsupial of wanton destruction.
"SRM Carrier. It's actual combat value is irrelevant; the face of a player when one of their 'mechs takes a point-blank shot from one is priceless!  ^-^" - Fireangel
"What's a little canon-deviation amongst friends and enemies" - Self
Quote from: DarkSpade on August 10, 2022, 15:23:40
If you think about it, the perfect merc lives long enough to complete the objective, but not long enough to get paid.
Well, there's an Obi-Wan level point of view comment for you ...  xp
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 15:35:06 by Wolf72 »

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Re: All info regarding Palmyra in 3143-5
« Reply #1 on: 02 June 2014, 17:42:41 »
Hey gang I'm looking for all the info I can find for Caleb Davion's brainfart and it's aftermath.

I'm working on some backstory for a new unit. I've read FM:3145, ER:3145 and checked Sarna.net.  Have I missed anything?

Thx,

D69
I don't think you have, those are only sources left unless you don't count what little is mentioned in TRO:3145 and TRO: 3145 FedSuns and Draconis Combine PDFs.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

FedSunsBorn

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 02 June 2014, 21:42:03 »
Yeah, the 3145 TRO's have a few notable pilot entries about various units that fought at Palmyra. The PAB-28 Sniper suit, the Sea Fox Amphib Armor, the Sortek Assault Craft, the Vulpes, the Black Knight, and finally the Cutlass. Not sure about the Drac TRO, need to check my other files.
Made by HikageMaru

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 03 June 2014, 03:38:21 »
If Caleb was smart he would have been in a Destrier or Paladin, but this is Caleb we're talking about

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #4 on: 03 June 2014, 10:49:36 »
Caleb wasn't dumb, a bit crazy yes but not dumb. His main problem was that he was the ruler of the Federated Suns and his troops followed his orders and not there best judgment or SOP. And if you think about it, if the Ravens hadn't betrayed the Federated Suns just what kind of damage could he have done to the Combine?
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Deathknight69

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 03 June 2014, 11:29:21 »
Maybe the reverse of what's happened to the Suns.
"Remember kids, Ammo explosion's are as much fun as friendly fire and incoming fire has the right-of-way." - ShadowSeraph
Avatar by Wombat, Thanks again to the blue fuzzy marsupial of wanton destruction.
"SRM Carrier. It's actual combat value is irrelevant; the face of a player when one of their 'mechs takes a point-blank shot from one is priceless!  ^-^" - Fireangel
If you think about it, the perfect merc lives long enough to complete the objective, but not long enough to get paid.

Deathknight69

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 04 June 2014, 17:23:45 »
Anybody know where to find a listing of the DCMS units involved @ Palmyra? FM:3145 Doesn't really get specific.

WarMonkey

• Master Sergeant
  • Beware the might of the Falcon, freebirths!
« Reply #7 on: 06 June 2014, 07:27:51 »
Caleb wasn't dumb, a bit crazy yes but not dumb. His main problem was that he was the ruler of the Federated Suns and his troops followed his orders and not there best judgment or SOP. And if you think about it, if the Ravens hadn't betrayed the Federated Suns just what kind of damage could he have done to the Combine?

I imagine he would have put some hurt on the Dracs. Damned Ravens need to be crotch-kicked something fierce for that treachery..... >:(
Winning......it beats losing!

Aidan Pryde is my hero!

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #8 on: 06 June 2014, 08:05:36 »
I imagine he would have put some hurt on the Dracs. Damned Ravens need to be crotch-kicked something fierce for that treachery..... >:(
If the intelligence written up on the Snow Ravens from the FM:3145 and ER: 3145 are correct, the Raven's WarShip fleet is very undermanned.  The FM stated that their forces are stretched pretty badly after taking terroritory from FedSuns, having resort to threats of orbital strikes to keep the population undercontrol locked in their cities aka prisons.  AMC (aka Outworlds Allance's old Military, is ones doing all the dirty of garrisoning their worlds.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

bigmac

• Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 06 June 2014, 11:33:30 »
Anybody know where to find a listing of the DCMS units involved @ Palmyra? FM:3145 Doesn't really get specific.

The Combine used 6 battlemech regiments in their assault on Palmyra.  These three regiments are definitely part of the attack force on Palmyra as listed in the Era Report and Field Manual:
5th Sword of Light (FM 3145, Era Report 3145)
7th New Samarkand Regulars (FM 3145)
2nd Genyosha (teamed up with 5th Sword of Light - FM 3145)

The TRO 3145 AFFS has in it that a Benjamin Regulars regiment was on Palmyra (Sortek Assault Craft) and more than one New Samarkand Regulars regiment was also present since the write-up refers to more than one regiment.  Using the info from the TRO and the write-up of DCMS commands in the Field Manual, you can add the following three regiments:
2nd Benjamin Regulars (FM3145 - in the forefront of every invasion of the Federated Suns)
22nd New Samarkand Regulars (FM3145 - the elite assault regiment of the Regulars)
2nd New Samarkand Regulars - odds are extremely good since they are fighting in the Tsamma salent

Deathknight69

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 07 June 2014, 02:02:04 »
Ok, How the **** does 6 DCMS reg'ts wipe out 13 AFFS reg'ts ?

WeaponX

• Warrant Officer
  • Ghost Bear Maniac
    • Ghost Bear Mania
« Reply #11 on: 07 June 2014, 03:40:54 »

Orbital Bombardment from Combine warships.  The Combine regiments only cleaned up what was left.
"Do you not understand the nature of the Bear?  For months he sleeps in hibernation, but do not dare disturb him.  The Bear's anger is unforgiving once provoked."

-Mechwarrior Zane
  Clan Nova Cat

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 07 June 2014, 03:46:18 »
I thought this was well understood, orbital bombardment

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 07 June 2014, 04:39:05 »
Orbital Bombardment from Combine warships.  The Combine regiments only cleaned up what was left.
DCMS warships and PWS, and a complete lack of Snow Raven help promised to the Suns.  One wonders why...I haven't yet found the reason, though I haven't exactly been exhaustively reading the books.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #14 on: 07 June 2014, 06:08:40 »
DCMS warships and PWS, and a complete lack of Snow Raven help promised to the Suns.  One wonders why...I haven't yet found the reason, though I haven't exactly been exhaustively reading the books.

Hint:  The three DC worlds that the Ravens took possession of without a fight might have something to do with it not to mention that Caleb might have led Khan McKenna to believe he was responsible for his father's demise.
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #15 on: 07 June 2014, 06:10:23 »
Hint:  The three DC worlds that the Ravens took possession of without a fight might have something to do with it
Saw that.  Figured it was a payoff, but it's one hell of a risk.  The expansion into the Suns is also an interesting thing.
not to mention that Caleb might have led Khan McKenna to believe he was responsible for his father's demise.
Now that I was unaware of, do 'splain?
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Deathknight69

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: 07 June 2014, 10:20:43 »
Orbital Bombardment?? Where's it say that?  I read about the Snow birds not helping and being paid off. When did Caleb the magnificent allude anything to Khan McKenna??

Jal Phoenix

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Once, we had gods.
« Reply #17 on: 07 June 2014, 13:05:35 »

If I were Julian Davion, I'd make a special point to load up a task force of PWS with all the nukes in the Suns, to go relive the Ravens of their remaining warship fleet.  And their shipyards, and 'Mech production facilities... The woes of the Suns in 3145 are 60% the fault of the Ravens. 

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: 07 June 2014, 14:29:03 »

If I were Julian Davion, I'd make a special point to load up a task force of PWS with all the nukes in the Suns, to go relive the Ravens of their remaining warship fleet.  And their shipyards, and 'Mech production facilities... The woes of the Suns in 3145 are 60% the fault of the Ravens. 
I would have gone and shook Khan McKenna's hand for Calebs death at least before I did that.

WeaponX

• Warrant Officer
  • Ghost Bear Maniac
    • Ghost Bear Mania
« Reply #19 on: 07 June 2014, 18:16:06 »

Why not go straight for Luthien and New Samarkand?  They could go through uninhabited systems so they won't have to go against the DCMS to deliver their nuclear cargo.
"Do you not understand the nature of the Bear?  For months he sleeps in hibernation, but do not dare disturb him.  The Bear's anger is unforgiving once provoked."

-Mechwarrior Zane
  Clan Nova Cat

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #20 on: 07 June 2014, 18:30:05 »
Orbital Bombardment?? Where's it say that?  I read about the Snow birds not helping and being paid off. When did Caleb the magnificent allude anything to Khan McKenna??

ER3145, pg 34. The DCMS's PWS bombarded AFFS troop concentrations on the planet's surface before the actual Co,bine invasion began.

Why not go straight for Luthien and New Samarkand?  They could go through uninhabited systems so they won't have to go against the DCMS to deliver their nuclear cargo.

Because the Combine are yet to do anything that warrants that level of escalation of the conflict. Yes, they have inflicted staggering levels of losses on the AFFS, but they haven't used nukes or other WMDs as yet. This has been fought as a late Succession Wars-level conflict with the focus on military targets and not inflicting mass casualties. Use of nuclear weapons against a planetary target is well outside the scope of what's happened so far.

Added to that, Julian's not the type to engage in that level of retaliation. He sees himself as one of the 'good guys', and while yes, he wants to save his nation and his people, he's not going to do it by engaging in mass civilian casualties for the sake of it. He's fought Malvina Hazen, after all. He doesn't want to become that.

Besides which, if "load up with nukes and jump to the other guy's capitol" was even a remotely viable strategy, then someone would have done it back in the 1st SW.

Unlike the bears, Genocide is not the AFFS' first response
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Klat

• Captain
  • ここにキティキティ
« Reply #21 on: 07 June 2014, 18:45:11 »
I would have gone and shook Khan McKenna's hand for Calebs death at least before I did that.

I love that; it's so Davion.

Despite everything the 'Suns are better for losing Caleb.
Light Assault Group - An Orwellian appelation applied by the Draconis Combine to troops haphazardly equipped with whatever expendable equipment was lying around the maintenance yard, for the purpose of throwing their lives away for the greater glory of the Dragon, see also Human Bombs.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #22 on: 07 June 2014, 19:08:53 »
So Caleb accidentally maybe mentions that he accidentally/intentionally pushed his dad off a Balcony on Terra after hearing Julian is the favoured Davion and the Ravens help knock off the last known Avalon, a bunch of AFFS Regiments and the First Prince

Note to the AFFS use multiple staging areas in future
Nice to see Ravens still playing politics and getting away with it at least one Clan doesn't change who it is and can get away with it :D
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #23 on: 07 June 2014, 19:51:01 »

The last time someone did that to the Ravens, the Ravens spent a week reducing a world to a radioactive husk.

Think about it. The Ravens are the Clan most touchy about nukes. They can get to every world in the Fed Suns at will. And when doing so they will achieve aerospace superiority.

Back the Ravens into a corner, they are more than capable of doing something insane, and have a history of going to extremes when something that bad happens to them. Nukes are a dime a dozen in this universe, if you choose to build them. Pushing a faction to a point where they are willing to unleash them without a care is a bad idea.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #24 on: 07 June 2014, 20:09:48 »
No need to use nukes if you can win aerospace superiority and still have enough firepower to bombard then you win unfortunately for the Ravens WarShips DropShips and Fighters can't hold a planet.  Not trying to derail this but it seems to be the same with all the Clans - take the planet easy garrison it problem there a bit weak
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Jal Phoenix

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Once, we had gods.
« Reply #25 on: 07 June 2014, 20:36:29 »
Pushing a faction to a point where they are willing to unleash them without a care is a bad idea.

Yes, it is.  Like I said, I'll take every nuke in the FedSuns and lay waste to the Ravens.  Consider it a message to the Chancellor that he'd better get back to chancelling now that he's removed the Hasek thorn from my side, and that Madame Coordinator best see to her Bear front after removing the Caleb thorn from my other side, before I DO visit New Samarkand.  It's just a short jump from the radioactive wastes of the backstabbing Outworlds.   ^-^  Then we can be all lovey dovey again.
« Last Edit: 07 June 2014, 20:39:29 by Jal Phoenix »

Deathknight69

• Captain
« Reply #26 on: 07 June 2014, 21:10:23 »
Ok Gang, Thx for the help and info. I've got an idea for the backstory now.

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #27 on: 11 June 2014, 15:02:56 »
Quite a bit of the AFFS forces was also loaded on dropships, both in orbit and on the ground. Which made for easy targets to wipe out large force concentrations.

Also, half the AFFS units were LCTs, not full regiments.

DC units on Palmyra:
Wolf's Dragoons (all but Alpha regiment, so 3 regiments worth)
5th Sword of Light
Second Genyosha
Ryuken-san
Ryuken-hachi
2nd New Samarkand Regulars
McFadden's Sky Storm

Øystein

bigmac

• Sergeant
« Reply #28 on: 11 June 2014, 19:50:10 »
Quite a bit of the AFFS forces was also loaded on dropships, both in orbit and on the ground. Which made for easy targets to wipe out large force concentrations.

Also, half the AFFS units were LCTs, not full regiments.

DC units on Palmyra:
Wolf's Dragoons (all but Alpha regiment, so 3 regiments worth)
5th Sword of Light
Second Genyosha
Ryuken-san
Ryuken-hachi
2nd New Samarkand Regulars
McFadden's Sky Storm

Øystein

Thank you for the correct info about the DCMS forces at Palmyra.  I was trying to pierce together the info to answer the question earlier.  I thought it was strange in the TRO 3145 AFFS that they had the Benjamin Regulars on Palmyra which is why I had the 2nd Benjamin.  Also Tai-sa Henrietta Margolis must have been serving with one of the DCMS regiments that you have listed before being promoted to command of the 7th New Samarkand Regulars since I included the regiment in the list because the write-up specifically mentioned her.

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #29 on: 11 June 2014, 20:09:00 »
Also Tai-sa Henrietta Margolis must have been serving with one of the DCMS regiments that you have listed before being promoted to command of the 7th New Samarkand Regulars since I included the regiment in the list because the write-up specifically mentioned her.

As mentioned here, I messed up in ER3145 and used the 7th instead of the 2nd. That error was perpetuated in the TR and not caught in factchecking.

Register