Author Topic: What do you guys use for character creation?  (Read 1456 times)

Nerhesi

• Corporal
What do you guys use for character creation?
« on: 05 January 2013, 14:15:27 »
Looking for something that lessens the complexity and addition required for character creation. Any fan favourites out there? I wish that btcc app was uptodate and bug-fixed but it is not unfortuantely.

Sam W.

Minerva

• Master Sergeant
Re: What do you guys use for character creation?
« Reply #1 on: 05 January 2013, 14:41:12 »
My currently campaign works on following premise for NPCs

I need an officer of XXX rank. I either have a good idea (usually from a movie, television program or historical precedent) or I need to do it randomly (this happen more often than not).

1) Roll for sex:
If MoC, roll 1D6 --> 1-5 Woman, 6 Man
If Steiner, roll 1D6 --> 1-3 Woman, 4-6 Man
If Davion, Marik, Liao, Merc, roll 1D6 ---> 1 Woman, 2-6 Man
If Kurita, roll 2D6 --> 2 Woman, 3-12 Man for combat arms, vise versa for service arms

2) Roll for age:
Roll 2D6 -->
2-3 (very young for this position)
4-5 (young to this position)
6-8 (typical age to this position)
9-10 (too old to hold this position)
11-12 (obviously too old to this position)

3) Roll for skill:
Roll 2D6 -->
2-3 (obviously incapable)
4-5 (clearly lacking)
6-8 (knows the job)
9-10 (professional)
11-12 (excellent)

4) Roll for attitude:
Roll 2D6 -->
2-3 (best when she sleeps)
4-5 (A bit difficult at times)
6-8 (Okay I guess)
9-10 (Gets along very well)
11-12 (Great to have her here)

For vast majority of times these rolls are enough to deal with NPCs.

For example the last adventure has a LCAF officer (decided that rank is a colonel) who comes to check out the paperwork related to disarming of a Lyran corporation of its security forces due suspicion that it has done illegal arms race. Roll makes her a Woman, then it makes her typically skilled in her work but shows that she has serious attitude problems. We decided (me and players) that she has "strange interests" (typically I use concept that one is very introverted or very extroverted person) and I came up with an idea that she sponsors a poet and intellectual who talks about democracy which feels quite disgusting to most officers. Everyone does work with her but no one really wants to take her with them to social affairs. Unfortunately she does outrank them all so there we go...

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #2 on: 05 January 2013, 16:09:08 »
Spreadsheets are fairly popular solutions to help keep track of things during character creation.  There are three or four floating around counting mine that I know of and I wouldn't be surprised if there are even more than that.

theothersarah

• Warrant Officer
  • Girls just wanna have fun
« Reply #3 on: 05 January 2013, 17:02:23 »
I made a spreadsheet just to do the huge amount of addition that needs to be done when using life modules. It's simple but my goodness, the amount of addition that needs to be done is incredible.

Nerhesi

• Corporal
« Reply #4 on: 05 January 2013, 17:54:21 »
Just wondering if anyone has compiled all the path options/system into an automated spread sheet or a simple program with drop and downs and so on. Would be really helpful.

Sam W.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #5 on: 05 January 2013, 20:08:36 »
*cough*

Sorry, couldn't help myself.  It doesn't have all the possible options but it does have every module, field, and affiliation from the core AToW book along with some AU factions that I probably should excise at some point so I can use their entries for Era Report 2750, 3052, and 3062 entries.

Register