Author Topic: Tindalos Light Attack VTOL Davion  (Read 1406 times)

KaiserDunk

• Master Sergeant
Tindalos Light Attack VTOL Davion
« on: 27 July 2018, 23:43:26 »
          BattleTech Vehicle Technical Readout
                      VALIDATED

Type/Model:    Tindalos Light Attack VTOL
Tech:          Inner Sphere / 3025
Config:        V.T.O.L.
Rules:         Level 1, Standard design

Mass:          15 tons
Power Plant:   100 Hermes Fusion
Cruise Speed:  140.4 km/h
Maximum Speed: 216.0 km/h
Armor Type:    StarGuard CIV Standard
Armament:     
  3 Martell Medium Lasers
Manufacturer:  Kallon Industries
Communications System:  Tri-World Duplex 4880
Targeting & Tracking System:  Dalban HiRez IIv

==Overview:==
         The planet Talon is known for its craggy, mountainous terrain that renders traditional 'Mechs and combat vehicles at a serious disadvantage.     Kallon executives had traditionally relied on their jump-capable 'Mechs to protect their industriplexes, but the demands of the Third Succession War kept forced them to rely on potentially unreliable mercenary units for defense.     VTOLs could fill the need, but there were no such vehicles capable to meet Kallon's requirements.
         Kallon executives turned to their own engineering teams for an answer.     The design had to be built with as much on-site off-the-shelf technology as possible to keep delopment costs down.     While none of the engineers had any real experience with VTOLs, they were all experienced enough with what they had at hand that they could make up for any lack of experience with kitbashing and research.     The result was a fast and nimble VTOL with enough firepower that any opponent would be hit hard before they could get a bead on the attacker.     The new VTOL was named the Tindalos after the highest mountain range on Talon.

==Capabilities:==
         The Tindalos is a small, fast and maneuverable VTOL optimized for quick hit and run attacks among the mountains of Talon.     The VTOL uses many of the same components used by Kallon's light Hornet 'Mech to achieve this performance while keeping the cost down.     As the Hornet was not a popular design, Kallon had a good stockpile of components available, especially the Hermes 100 fusion powerplants.     The use of a fusion powerplant was necessitated by the need to avoid either importing ICE powerplants or developing a new engine.     The Hermes 100 was easily mated to the 5-bladed rotor and control machinery, and easily provides the power for the three Martell medium lasers clustered under the nose of the Tindalos.     The concentrated firepower of the three lasers can be deadly against light 'Mechs, but it requires a pilot to get closer to the target than most VTOL pilots care to.     The three and a half tons of armor enable a Tindalos to take some hits, but its main defense remains its speed and maneuverability.     The excellent communications system of the Tindalos makes it an efficient combat scout, pinning targets with laser fire while calling in fire support from missile-armed 'Mechs and jump troops.

==Variants:==
    The only variant of the Tindalos seen replaces the medium lasers and a ton of armor with a Holly LRM-5 launcher with two tons of ammunition.     This version acts as a fast-response artillery support VTOL working in cooperation with regular Tindalos VTOLs, providing fire support where required.

==Notable Vehicles & Crew:==
Col. Martin Siebelski, Talon CMM
         Col. Martin Siebelski was the first test pilot for the Tindalos prototype and remains the head of Air Security for Kallon Industries as well as the CO for the Talon CMM VTOL force.     His abilities at the controls of the Tindalos are legendary, especially his habit of flying NOE though the craggy  mountains at over 200 kph.     Despite his seeming reckless disregard for his life and his machine, Col. Siebelski is one of the best VTOL pilots in the Inner Sphere and has written the book on VTOL tactics in the forbidding mountains on Talon.

==Deployment==
         The Tindalos is mainly found only with Kallon security forces and the local militia.     Production of the Tindalos has remained a local market in order to reserve some of the Hermes 100 supply   for Hornet production.     There has been some requests for increased production from potential customers, but for now there are no official plans to offer the Tindalos for sale outside of the Talon-Werncke system.

--------------------------------------------------------
Type/Model:    Tindalos Attack VTOL
Mass:          15 tons

Equipment:                                                  Items    Mass
Int. Struct.:  10 pts Standard                           0        1.50
Engine:        100 Fusion                                   0        3.00
Shielding & Transmission Equipment:                0        1.50
    Cruise MP:  13
     Flank MP:  20
Heat Sinks:     10 Single                                  0          .00
Cockpit & Controls:                                         0         1.00
Crew: 1 Members                                            0          .00
Rotor Equipment:  Main/Tail Rotors                  0         1.50
Armor Factor:   56 pts Standard                       0         3.50

Internal    Armor
                          Structure   Value
   Front:                     2         19
   Left / Right Sides:    2      13/13
   Rear:                      2          9
   Rotor:                     2          2

Weapons and Equipment    Loc     Heat  Ammo   Items    Mass
3 Medium Lasers              Front      9                   3        3.00
TOTALS:                                       9                   3       15.00
Items & Tons Left:                                              5          .00

Calculated Factors:
Total Cost:        510,000 C-Bills
Battle Value:      876
Cost per BV:       582.19
Weapon Value:      154 / 154 (Ratio = .18 / .18)
Damage Factors:    SRDmg = 11;  MRDmg = 2;  LRDmg = 0
BattleForce2:      MP: 13V,  Armor/Structure: 0 / 2
                   Damage PB/M/L: 2/2/-,  Overheat: 0
                   Class: VA;  Point Value: 9

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
Re: Tindalos Light Attack VTOL Davion
« Reply #1 on: 28 July 2018, 08:29:46 »
Is the VTOL unit nicknamed "The Tindalos Hounds" by anyone?
"That's Lieutenant Faceplant to you, Corporal!"

Things that I have learnt through clicking too fast on 'Move Done' on MegaMek: Double-check the CF of the building before jumping onto it, check artillery arrival times before standing in the neighbouring hex, and don't run across your own minefield.

"Hmm, I wonder if I can turn this into a MM map."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #2 on: 28 July 2018, 09:15:06 »
Nice work!  :thumbsup:

KaiserDunk

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 28 July 2018, 21:28:32 »
Is the VTOL unit nicknamed "The Tindalos Hounds" by anyone?

I'm glad someone got the reference.   It was what inspired the name.

KaiserDunk

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 28 July 2018, 21:29:01 »
Nice work!  :thumbsup:

Thank you.

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
« Reply #5 on: 29 July 2018, 08:15:05 »
I'm glad someone got the reference.   It was what inspired the name.

Comes out of nightmare, disappears in a cloud of smoke, and is generally a pain. I wonder if the rotors make a howling sound rather than a thudding one.
"That's Lieutenant Faceplant to you, Corporal!"

Things that I have learnt through clicking too fast on 'Move Done' on MegaMek: Double-check the CF of the building before jumping onto it, check artillery arrival times before standing in the neighbouring hex, and don't run across your own minefield.

"Hmm, I wonder if I can turn this into a MM map."

KaiserDunk

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 29 July 2018, 18:48:34 »
Comes out of nightmare, disappears in a cloud of smoke, and is generally a pain. I wonder if the rotors make a howling sound rather than a thudding one.

I imagine it making a whirring noise like an OH-6 Cayuse.   It comes at you almost silently out of a nightmare, disappears into the smoke, and besets you like a pack of hounds.   The 'Hounds of Tindalos'.