Author Topic: Alternate Timeline with Thanks (FULL) Part 2  (Read 250635 times)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Re: Alternate Timeline with Thanks (FULL) Part 2
« Reply #1380 on: 26 November 2021, 09:13:37 »
Interesting update.  I have sinking feeling that Star League's days are numbered.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Artifex

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1381 on: 26 November 2021, 13:16:58 »
Well, what with all the "Protectorates" that keep springing up in all the Great House areas ... yeah. Don't think they'll keep looking on while they lose the nominal control of worlds that had been theirs for very long timeframes - at least - centuries...

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #1382 on: 29 December 2021, 09:18:44 »
I'll try to keep this more up to date than I have recently but December has been the usual fun.

Office of the Khans
Former Kell Family Hold, Arc Royal
Jade Falcon Occupation Zone
9th April 3116

The place for a Clan warrior was not behind a desk but today was one of those days that Khan Jana Pryde of the Jade Falcons had to remain.  Today she had authorized the creation of several new Clusters of warriors and deployed them into the Lyran Commonwealth against the worlds of Collnas, Jaumegrande, Turinge, Bjornlunda and Furillo.  The battles the warriors would face would be their initial Trial of Possession those that survived would become members of the Jade Falcon warrior caste, their time as cadets was over.  Recently she had reinforced her Clan with several Clusters of Jade Falcon warriors won in Harvest Trials taken against the Sea Fox, Hell’s Horses and Coyote Clans the Falcons had a plan gone were plans to conquer the capital worlds of the Lyran Commonwealth instead they were going for the nation’s manufacturing capital Hesperus II.

In the coming days only the systems of Jaumegrande and Bjornunda all fell to the Jade Falcon cadets with those that survived their victory now granted warrior status.  The forces deployed to Collnas, Turinge, and Furillo were wiped out completely by the Lyran defenders.  In all the Jade Falcons had lost the equivalent to seven clusters of warriors but they were a couple of jumps closer towards their goal of Terra.  With the cadets proving their worth Jana Pryde and the elite units of the Clan would charge into the heart of the Isle of Skye.

As the Falcons have successes against the Lyrans the Rasalhague Dominion and Lynx Clan factions have other successes jointly assaulting the Draconis Combine the two Clan factions capture Almunge, Brocchi’s Cluster, Coudoux, Hanover and Kabah before the end of April.  The continued joint operations by the two Clans and the successes of Clan Jade Falcon shows the Inner Sphere that they need another solution to fight the Clans.

Public Health Announcement
Triad, Tharkad
Halfway Province, Lyran Commonwealth
22nd April 3116

On Tri-vid screens across the Inner Sphere and beyond Dr Tobias Roeper, the Head of Lyran Health stands to make an announcement that would cause fear and panic in many places.  Tobias Roeper was in his late sixties and had never reached for the limelight but today he needed to be the one that spoke to the people of the Lyran Commonwealth.  “Ladies and gentlemen, I am Dr Tobias Roeper the head of the health department for the Lyran Commonwealth, we have been monitoring a genetic virus which targets specific genes causing illness and then death.  The scientific and medical community across the Lyran Commonwealth and with our allies in the Star League Defence Force are doing all they can to find the best treatment for sufferers of this virus” the over weight balding man said looking at the tri-vid camera Roeper was not a picture of health but he was the man best placed to inform the people of what was wrong.

“Unfortunately, due to the severity and targeted nature of this virus and the unknown transmission rate and method, certain steps have had to be taken.  As of this date the 22nd of April 3116 the systems of Rosice and Radostov are under a quarantine with restricted travel into and out of these systems.  This will remain in effect until further information is gained on the virus.”  He said pausing for a moment “to the people who are living and visiting these worlds listen to the authorities on these worlds they are there to help you, if you do not have a permanent residence on these worlds and are stranded the authorities there will help you.  You will not be forgotten.”  He promised the people on the two quarantined worlds.  “Updates will continue on the progress of this virus, the ongoing quarantine and treatments that will be rolled out by your health providers.  If you have left ether the Rosice or Radostov systems within the last week please report to your nearest health centre for a health check up.”

Distress Signal
Uncharted world, Outworlds Wastes
Periphery
30th April 3116

Following the detection of a distress signal when their JumpShip had entered the system Captain Alec Oak had ordered the Raven Alliance’s Thermo Police into the system to investigate it had taken their two DropShips three days to make the trip.  The distress call was generic and continued to repeat that there was a DropShip which had landed on the world and been unable to leave the crew were now taking shelter near their ship and required assistance.  The same message could have been playing for decades but one of the reasons the Thermo Police were out here in the Outworlds Wastes was to investigate any signals they picked up.

From orbit the Headquarters, their Lion-class DropShip had detected what appeared to be an ancient Mingo-class Dropshuttle which hadn’t been used in more than one hundred years despite this indication that the ship’s crew would have been long dead Oak ordered the unit to land.  The Headquarters had found a landing zone a little under a kilometre from the Mingo at one end of a long rocky ravine from orbit the planet looked entirely land locked with a few small lakes and rivers dotted across the landscape the atmosphere was thin and the world was colder than a comfortable world but there wasn’t enough moisture to make it a wet or snow-covered place.  From what he’d seen since leading the landing zone there wasn’t many large creatures in the area either just some small small mammals the size of a domesticated dog, a poorly fed one at that.

From the landing zone the unit’s ten BattleMechs could move in and investigate the find.  The Thermo Police’s second DropShip the Precinct One, a Buccaneer-class vessel, had needed a longer area of land to come done on and had landed nearly three kilometres away on board it was their three IndustrialMechs, supporting infantry, support staff and the five ProtoMechs assigned to the unit.  For the initial part of the mission the ProtoMechs would be the primary defence for Precinct One.  As a trueborn Raven Karl had applauded Oak’s aggressive strategy this way, they would engage with those already on the planet in less than an hour.

In his BattleMech Karl followed Oak’s Dervish in his Warhammer IIC at the other side of the Dervish walked Rhodes Cable’s own Warhammer while the Hercules and Ursus BattleMechs followed them by one hundred metres.  Further back still was the support star of its four regular Mechs and Alisan Nostra’s Hunter IIC which had traveled onboard the Headquarters.  Making their way along the ravine it was Karl’s Warhammer IIC’s sensors that detected the BattleMech first it was a design he didn’t recognize, as quickly as he’d seen the contact it was gone again.  “Contact!”  He called out looking over the sensor image he could see it was a smaller Mech than his Warhammer IIC, it had a nearly round torso with two cannons extending from its back one over each shoulder.  The Mech had two fully formed arms and back-canted pointed toed legs.  “Single unidentified BattleMech, I am moving to investigate.”

“Negative, MechWarrior Karl await until we are in position.”  Oak said but Karl’s BattleMech had already turned to face the potential threat.

“Too late” he said to himself allowing his finger to slip off the transmission button he muttered “freebirth” under his breath.  As a Clan Trueborn warrior Karl’s position may be subordinate to Oak in position but his birthright took most importance and if he ever wished to win a Bloodname he’d need to count on his genes and taking on every challenge he could.

His Warhammer IIC8 was about two hundred metres clear of the other BattleMechs rounding a pile of grey rocks sitting on the brown soil his quarry appeared standing waiting for him behind the BattleMech there were plenty of thick rock cropping which would impede any Mech’s movement, his BattleMech’s warbook quickly tried to identify the BattleMech but did not recognize it.  Quickly Karl opened a communication channel “I am MechWarrior Karl of Clan Snow Raven, I challenge the MechWarrior ahead of my position, this will be a dual of honour may no-one else interfere.”  He said before the other BattleMechs could round the corner the smaller Mech’s arms were raised and his sensors could detect targeting systems coming from the Mech.  “These other warriors will not become involved if you accept this challenge.”

“I am MechWarrior Berat Hordwon of the Escorpión Imperio Seekers we have claimed this world you are intruding on our territory.”  The MechWarrior responded the BattleMech holding fire his Warhammer IIC8’s sensors had identified that the enemy Mech was either forty or forty-five tons in weight and was most likely built using Clan technology.

“The who?”  Karl pondered to himself for a moment before triggering the communication system “MechWarrior, I do not know who your Escorpión Imperio is…” he said he noticed his private communication channel between him and Lieutenant Alisan Nostra was also active.  “I am a member of Clan Snow Raven and I have challenged you to one-on-one combat.  You will accept it or you will face my entire Star’s fury.”

“And yours will face mine” the MechWarrior responded from behind the unknown design Karl saw a Daedalus QuadMech rise fully to its feet, beside it looked like a pair of Orion BattleMechs, though his Warhammer’s warbook was struggling to lock down on the Mech type, finally a Timber Wolf OmniMech rose fully to its feet.  Karl cursed himself he had challenged a MechWarrior when the Star Captain was waiting for them, now one of his Starmates would defeat them and the glory that would be attached to that victory.  Karl noticed that his communication channel was still waiting with Nostra.
“Wait one” he said keeping his fingers near the firing triggers he switched channel his eyes never leaving the enemy Mech “what is it?”  He snapped “you may be born of Clan blood, but you do not know our ways! Quiaff?”  He demanded angrily.

“MechWarrior Karl, the name Hordwon was once an Ice Hellion name, this Warrior could be a trueborn like you.”
“Of a dead Clan and now of a Bandit Kingdom.”  Karl said pondering for a moment “I have an idea” he said switching back to the other frequency “MechWarrior Hordwon, I am a trueborn of the Snow Raven Clan, we are tracking down a Bandit Caste force.  You are far from home it is possible you have stumbled into our hunt.”

“This world has been claimed as our own MechWarrior it is you who have stumbled somewhere.”

“Then we will dispense with our Honour trial which you have failed to answer, I declare a Trial of Possession over this world.  Clan Snow Raven’s Thermo Police bring ten BattleMechs, 3 Industrial Mechs and five ProtoMechs to this battle.”  He declared now he saw Captain Alec Oak’s frequency was active.

“We agree, but with one provision you accept all surivors from our battle into your Clan.”

“I accept.”  He said switching the frequency he activated Oak’s channel “Sir” he said confidently.

“What are you doing!  We are not here to declare an invasion on a world?”

“We are Clansmen Captain Oak.  Your unit has been allowed some autonomy but I was born for battle, they have accepted our battle.”  He said “we were ordered to look around the periphery the Raven Alliance, we have found something that could potentially have found a threat on our border…”

“So, you declare war on them!”

“A Trial of Possession is not the same as a War.”  He stated calmly “Captain, these warriors could potentially be from the fallen Ice Hellion Clan, Lieutenant Nostra identified the name of the warrior I spoke to as a Hellion bloodname.”  He explained “should they be of Clan blood and should this Escorpión Imperio be close to our borders we should be prepared for them, Quiaff?”  He asked wondering if Oak had listened to what was going on.

“You are correct MechWarrior, we should investigate”

“Aff” he said swapping back to the open frequency “we are ready to begin this trial here and now, but as the defender I am willing to give you the choice of venue and time as is our tradition.”

“We are also ready, we have this single star of BattleMechs here, our other forces protect our landing site and will not be included in this battle.  I will transmit our combat and codex data. Quiaff?”

“Aff, your bid of five BattleMechs is accepted, the Snow Ravens have ten BattleMech here at present as our initial bid.”  He said swapping to the Snow Raven secure channel “Captain Oak, you heard their bid as is our tradition we must inform them who will fight them.  We can take all of our BattleMechs but that will not win our Clan honour.”

“It would be the most effective use of our forces.”  His commander initially answered “but you understand this sort of thing better than I and this is your battle MechWarrior.  Choose the force you wish to battle; I seed command of this trial to you.”  Oak said Karl almost smiled, almost being the correct term now that Karl was in command any failure would fall on him but so would the victory.

Karl sat for a moment and looked at the data shared by the enemy MechWarrior the forty-ton Mech he’d initially seen was called a Whipscorpion and was an alien design to him before today.  The two BattleMechs which had looked like Orions were in fact known as Reconquista C BattleMechs which were more like IndustrialMechs than proper BattleMechs they were powered by Fuel Cell engines, making them slower than almost any other Mech Karl had seen and they featured strange looking lift hoists hanging from their backs.  What they’d originally been designed for was anyone’s guess but now they were a nightmarish mix of IndustrialMech and BattleMech but still would likely be no match for a true Clan BattleMech.  The Timber Wolf and Goliath were likely going to be the toughest of opponents the Timber Wolf was an iconic Clan OmniMech known across the Inner Sphere for its prowess in battle while the Goliath was an eighty ton heavily armoured QuadMech.  “We must match the BattleMechs we will face, I will take on the Timber Wolf, Rudolf and Joel you will each face one of their Reconquistas they are heavier than your Mechs but you are capable warriors and you have better equipment than them.  Adrie your Ursus is lighter than that Daedalus but it is like those Reconquista’s and built as an IndustrialMech, keep moving and force its surrender.”

“And I will take on the Whipscorpion.”  Oak said

“Captain, it may be lighter than your Mech but it is a superior machine.”  Karl warned

“I’m still the commander of this unit Karl, if we’re going to fight them then I’ll take on the target.”  Oak said
“Aff, Captain, transmitting data.”

A short while later the ten Mechs were facing off against each other ready to engage in battle and straight away as planned the separate challenges flew out almost immediately the Dark Crow, Shadow Hawk IIC and Ursus II from the Thermo Police launched themselves into the air attacking their opponents.  In the less nimble Warhammer IIC Karl stood his ground. “I am MechWarrior Karl of the Snow Raven Clan; I began this trial and I challenge the Timber Wolf opposite my positon to single combat may no other enter.”

“I am Star Commander Pine I accept your challenge MechWarrior; may no other enter” Karl cursed his luck the Timber Wolf was the star’s commander but unlike the Whipscorpion pilot he wasn’t bloodnamed.  Never mind the fight was now more important.”  The Timber Wolf opposite him opened fire with both large lasers one went wide while the other slammed into the Warhammer’s left leg just as Karl charged forwards returning fire with both arm mounted Heavy Large Lasers the opal coloured beams stretched the distance between the two Mechs savaging the Timber Wolf’s armour as a wave of heat rushed into the Warhammer IIC’s cockpit.

Ignoring the rising heat Karl pulled the secondary triggers hitting out with his two plasma cannons intending on heating up the enemy Timber Wolf as he fired the Timber Wolf began to move launching forty missiles in his direction.  Karl watched as the missiles approached ducking at nearly the last moment throwing off a third of the missiles while the rest slammed into his eighty-ton Mech’s armour.  Cutting to the right Karl watched as his lasers cycled and pulled the triggers again ignoring the rising heat once more slapping the manual override keeping forced shutdown at bay.  One one of his opal beams hit his target burning into the Timber Wolf’s left side torso coring the armour.  He saw a rise in heat from the Timber Wolf indicating his weapons were doing something.  The crouched over design twisted its damaged side away from him and firing a pair of blue coloured medium lasers and a green pulse laser all three burned into his charging Warhammer IIC causing more armour damage but little else.  Karl smelled blood cutting to side he triggered his Mech’s secondary armament firing his own torso mounted two medium lasers and short-range missile launcher.  One of his own blue beams of high-powered light and energy slammed into the ground but the other beam burned into the Timber Wolf’s left leg.  Moments later the six short range missiles slammed into the Timber Wolf exploding all over the hunched over Mech’s frame causing damage.

In retaliation the enemy Mech’s long range missiles and red coloured large lasers reached out at the Warhammer damaging armour all down the right side of Karl’s Mech, Karl noticed the SRM launcher blink out damaged by the assault he flicked the ammo dump for the launcher.  He continued moving trying to get behind the Timber Wolf firing both plasma cannons one slammed into the side of the ravine the super heated plasma causing the very rock face to explode outwards showering the Timber Wolf in small pieces of rock.

Machine gun, laser and pulse laser fire tracked the running Warhammer IIC causing more damage against the side of the assault Mech, but Karl wasn’t ready to stop he continued moving and firing doing his best to make himself a tough target for the enemy OmniMech while trying to cause heavy damage in response the heat inside the Warhammer IIC rose significantly but he ignored it and continued to move.  One twin volley of firey plasma cannon and opal heavy laser blasts slammed into the Timber Wolf’s torso burrowing deep inside the right side of the Mech.  Inside the machine the super heated plasma caused the Timber Wolf’s long range missile ammunition bay to explode.  The CASE technology built into the OmniMech tried to save the machine by venting the explosions through specially designed panels but the damage done by the heavy lasers was enough to cause the entire right side to essentially collapse with the arm falling useless to its side.

With his BattleMech crippled Star Commander Pine signaled his surrender unwilling to die against a superior pilot.  Karl slowed his Mech to a walk and accepted the Timber Wolf pilot’s surrender ordering him to stand down he then turned to face the rest of the battlefield.  Both Rudolf and Joel were still fighting their respective targets both of the MechWarriors appeared to be getting the better of their targets.  He saw that Adrie’s Ursus II similarly was standing over the hunched over Daedalus, the enemy IndustrialMech’s jury rigged weapons appeared to be disabled and it was trying to engage her with its backhoe but she was refusing to engage in physical combat.  Finally, he saw the Whipscorpion though damaged was standing victorious over Captain Oak’s Dervish which lay on its side downed.  From his position Karl could see the cockpit was intact and Oak hadn’t punched out meaning he was probably injured inside the BattleMech.

Turning to face the Whipscorpion Karl decided to take a different tract “to the MechWarrior piloting the BattleMech opposite me I am Karl of Clan Snow Raven.  You have defeated my unit’s commander and I have defeated yours, my Starmates are getting the better of yours in this battle.  We can fight and it may resort in your death or you can accept defeat and we can end this now.  I will honour our agreement the warriors that fought today will not be abandoned.”  He said keeping his targeting systems active and trained on the lighter Mech at this range both of his heavy lasers could hit the enemy Mech.  He wanted to capture the Whipscorpion it was an unknown design to his Clan and although the data gained during this battle would be invaluable in understanding its operation having a copy of the design would cement their victory.

“I MechWarrior Berat Hordwon accept the Snow Raven victory, all Escorpión Imperio Mechs are ordered to stand down.  MechWarrior Karl, we are yours to command.”  He ordered slowly the fighting wound down to nothing and the Ravens stood victorious over the enemy Mechs.  They now controlled the fate of these warriors and of the world.
In the coming hours Karl learned that Alec Oak had died commanding his Dervish which left command of the unit to Lieutenant Andrei Solomatin.  Of the enemy MechWarriors Star Commander Pine had also died piloting his Timber Wolf with the OmniMech too badly damaged to be salvaged with his own BattleMech damaged Karl had ordered that the surviving parts of the Mech be used to repair his own while the Thermo Police got to work investigating why these people were on this world.

---

For three weeks the Thermo Police interrogated the captured warriors and those that had accompanied them.  The Police’s officers found that the five Mechs had been defending nearly two hundred civilians and conventionally armed infantry soldiers who had been found encamped around their ancient Mingo-class DropShuttle almost three kilometres from the battlesite, on learning that their Mech forces had lost in battle all of the defenders had surrendered without a single shot fired.

During the interviews and interrogations that followed the Thermo Police had found that their ship had been attached to an equally ancient Conestoga-class JumpShip which had been deployed on a long-range exploration of space by the Escorpión Imperio searching for resources and worlds to capture.  They had found the Imperio was a fusion of former Clan Goliath Scorpion, Ice Hellion and Steel Viper elements with a deep space periphery nation that they had captured following the loss of Clan space to the Society.  Considering the age of the Conestoga, the Mingo and their Reconquista BattleMechs the Snow Ravens did not consider the Imperio to be a threat to the Raven Alliance but with the Conestoga still out there the unit had been tasked with attempting to track down the ship and establishing contact with them before they came into contact with the Alliance.

Karl had been called into what was now Captain Solomartin’s office onboard the Headquarters DropShip.  Solomartin was a dark-skinned man of part Japanese descent he wore traditional Japanese styled robes instead of a uniform and he had moved his own personal set of samuri armour into the office since taking it.  While the armour had no practical modern use, he knew tha the navy blue/teal set of layered leather and metal armour meant a lot to the unit’s new captain, he that Solomartin’s family came from the former-Draconis Combine world of Tabayama and that the armour had been handed down to him and it was classed as a family heirloom. The armour now dominated one side of the small office with its domed helmet and elaborate face mask staring at anyone who wished to challenge the unit’s new captain.  The vibrant colours and delicate workmanship that had gone into the armour were clear to see. “Sir, reporting as ordered.”
“MechWarrior Karl, I have decided to promote you to Section Leader of the second star.”

“Section Leader?” Karl asked “that is not a Clan rank, Quineg?”

“Negative it is not, it is a Thermo Police rank.  This command is not a traditional one Karl.  You may gain recognition within this unit but you will still need to show your prowess in front of members of the Clan before you gain a true rank.  Now I am offering you a chance to gain experience beyond your position so that when you do gain rank within the Snow Ravens you are ready for that position.  Do you accept?”  He asked Karl stood thinking for a moment, he should be facing MechWarriors of equal skill to him in single combat for the right to command in battle but instead he gained a fake rank inside a unit which his clan cared little for.

“Aff, Captain, I accept the challenge and opportunity.  I will also take the first chance I can get when we are back in Clan space to confirm this promotion.”  He said deciding to take on the challenge.

“Very good, I’d expect nothing less.  Your first job is to prepare the unit for departure we have an enemy to track down.”  Solomartin announced but Karl remained hovering for a moment.  “A problem Section Leader?”

“Aff, what about the people on this world, they are not Snow Raven but we accepted their surrender.”

“The ruling of our Clan is that we accepted the surrender of the surviving three MechWarriors.  Of those only Berat Hordwon has an active BattleMech which we will take with us.  Should they prove themselves capable then they will be accepted into the Clan otherwise they will remain as Bondsmen.”  Solomartin said respecting the Clan tradition of taking captured MechWarriors and giving them the chance of becoming warriors again.  “The others the Clan have decided they did not engage us in combat so they will not be accepted.  We will leave them here with the supplies we can afford to and with the conventional weapons they were armed with when we encountered them.”

“There is not a lot of resources on this world” Karl pointed out “our estimates suggest they will not survive long term without support.”

“Aff, that I am aware, I have made my argument to our people but they do not see the value in supporting such a small population at such a distance.”  Solomartin said “unfortunately I do not have the influence to ensure they get the support they will most likely need.”  He said seeing the disappointment in Karl’s face.  “You are showing more concern for the population than most trueborns would” he said seeing Karl’s eyes come up in surprise “that is not a criticism Section Leader to succeed in this unit you will need it.”  He said “now prepare the unit for extraction we have a hunt to continue.”
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1383 on: 29 December 2021, 09:27:16 »
Woah, some interesting turn of events on Thermo Police patrol!  nice writing, Dragoncat!
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1384 on: 29 December 2021, 19:37:08 »
I forgot to say in the post the Whipscorpion was created by Bishop Steiner and I first saw it and it's art on Facebook. 

The design is 40 tons, moves 6/9/6, has 2 each of Improved Heavy Medium Lasers (one each arm), 2 ATM3 and 2 Plasma Canons (one in each side torso) and 2 centrally mounted Small Pulse Lasers, it's built on an Endo-Composite structure and has Ferro Fibrous armour

I'd love to post the art here but it was done as a commission  so I won't, its publicly available on Facebook and Bishop Steiner's Patreon page

https://m.facebook.com/groups/ClassicBattletech/permalink/5500516773354429/
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1385 on: 30 December 2021, 09:51:54 »
Not able access the facebook page.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1386 on: 10 January 2022, 17:32:17 »
DS Santiago de Cuba (Stork-class DropShip)
Uncharted system near Reese Station
Alarion Province, Lyran Commonwealth
8th May 3116

For more than thirty years there had been rumours of an uncharted but habited system near Reese Station deep inside the Lyran Commonwealth but despite a search there had never been a sign of a habitable planet or moon in the area, “never that is until now.”  Dr Thomas Mazzarelli thought as he stood on the command bridge of the Stork-class DropShip Santiago de Cuba he had spent a decade of his life working within his scientific fellowship searching for worlds lost off of Lyran maps during the Age of Wars and Succession Wars.  Two months ago, when he was based on Reese Station the powerful telescopes there spotted what he believed to be indications of a spacer colony in this system and then only one month before scientists in the Tiruppir system looking at the same thing he had been spotted the same thing.  With two pieces of evidence to back his claims his belief up Mazzarelli had been authorized to take one of his fellowships two exploration DropShips to this system.  The JumpShip merchant they had hired to take them here had already continued its delivery mission and had left the system for the next month and a half the Santiago de Cuba was on its own which suited Mazzarelli just fine they could take a slow one gravity burn around the system and discover what it had hidden.

Now ten days into their forty-eight-day mission Mazzarelli was buzzing with excitement. “We have something!”  One of the bridge officers shouted out he was a young man in an unmarked coverall which had been kept clean, and he was clean shaven another bonus on a civilian ship far from any oversight.

“What is it?”  He called out moving towards the front of the small DropShip’s bridge past the Captain’s console “my apologies, Captain.”  Mazzarelli said sheepishly nodding and backing off the Doctor was not a small man; he was not afraid to admit he enjoyed the sweeter things in life probably too much.  His balding head and greying hair did little to dis-way this idea.  He didn’t need to get on the wrong side of a ship’s captain this early into a trip.

“It’s your mission Doc, just turn to me when things hit the fan.” Captain Symonds said quietly he was a lot more like Mazzarelli than he’d like to admit he liked an easy life, exploration missions like this generally caused little in the way of problems he could put up with an excitable scientist or thirteen as this little trip had brought.

“Thank you, Captain,” Mazzarelli said stepping forward once again “what do you have watchman?”  He asked not knowing the you man’s rank or position.

“It’s rubbish, sir, a garbage drop by the looks of it from a passing ship.”  Mazzarelli beamed the biggest smile he could at the young man.

“If I were twenty years younger, I would kiss you!”  He said turning back to Captain Symonds “Captain we’re on the right track you don’t get rubbish without traffic I’d like permission to bring it onboard.”

“Other people’s rubbish” Symonds repeated so he was absolutely sure.  “Doctor you know that could include their… left over… bio-matter?”  He asked just to make sure that the Doctor understood.

“Their shit, you can say it Captain it doesn’t hurt we’re all big boys and girls here, yes I understand Captain.  We will be careful around what we find.  If we can study what we have found then perhaps we can figure out how long it has been here, who left it and what kind of people they are.  I might be able to tell you what they had for dinner before dumping the rubbish.”

“Ok Doc, it’s you that gets to clean the mess.” Roughly three tons of rubbish, including the expected faces, were brought onboard the DropShip giving the scientists a mini-treasure trove to fall back on.

---

Nearly a week passed and still nothing further had been found in the system Symonds was ready to give up on their search of this area and move on into their secondary search area but Mazzarelli had persevered they had entered what could only be described as a dense area of rogue planetoids and large asteroids.  While none of them had atmospheres many had deep canyons and cave networks any of which could have what he wanted.  Laying in his bunk Mazzarelli was convinced he was on the right trail for a find in this system so their search would continue.  “Mazzarelli report to the bridge, we have something you won’t believe” it was Symonds on the ship announcer.

Mazzarelli hadn’t in his fifty-two years ever dressed so quickly moving through the small four deck Stork-class DropShip.  As an aerodyne DropShip the Stork was built like a massive cargo aeroplane with the top two decks dedicated to command and the crew quarters the third deck which carried passengers while the fourth deck was twice as tall as the others and was purely a cargo bay.  When in space the ship flew on its belly so the deck remained as the deck for the crew and passengers making it easier to move around without needing to rearrange things.

Entering the Stork’s bridge, he found Symonds leaning forward looking at his screens, Mazzarelli read some of the displays but mostly it didn’t make much sense to him “Captain” he said announcing his arrival.

“Doctor” Symonds said smiling turning to face him “well you said we’d find something here.  Take a look.”  He said inviting him to look at the screens.

“I’m looking Captain, I just don’t completely understand what I am seeing, can you direct me?”

“Right there!”  He pointed up at one of the roof mounted flat screens Mazzarelli stared at it for a moment and began to understand what he was seeing.  “That Doctor is a drive plume of a small vessel, probably one hundred tons or so.”

“A fighter, a patrol or scout?”

“More likely a small cargo ship of some sort given its movement profile, they are moving a little under 2G nothing fancy just avoiding the rocks, like us” the same sensor operator who had answered his query before.  “It probably can go faster than it currently is but they are in no hurry to go where they are going.”

“Can we talk to them?”

“We wanted you to be here before we did.” Symonds said “Doctor, if you please, you’re on.”  Mazzarelli stood up straighter at that, as straight as one could in the cramped bridge before he spoke.

“I am Doctor Thomas Mazzarelli of the Alarion Fellowship of Associated Scientists; we have come to this system on a mission of peaceful exploration and we would welcome the chance to open peaceful relations with you.”  He began intending on explaining who they were and their intentions

“That got a reaction!  Engine spike they are accelerating.”

“Doctor, they go much past that we’ll lose them.  But in this type of belt, they are risking losing something more than just us…”

“This is the captain, everyone buckle in and prepare for reorientation” Symonds announced over the ship wide intercom “doctor, take your seat, you have one more chance to calm this down.”

“To the pilots of the small ship we are not hostile we are purely here to open peaceful relations you don’t need to run from us.”  He said pleading with them to slow down and listen to his words.  As he spoke Mazzarelli was climbing into his chair as the Stork re-orientated into its normal flight mode with the ship’s main engines driving the vessel forwards.  If the DropShip was going to be expected to make any special manoeuvre, they couldn’t do that in the transit mode.
“They are disappearing behind that rogue planet!”  The pilot said a rogue planet was a planet which didn’t have a regular orbit of its own, it was a remnant from the system’s formation and now it drifted through the asteroid belt as one of its largest contacts.  Part of their next search pattern would have been to explore the planet but this new contact had brought that search forwards.

“Bring us in close and begin scans.  Weapons have them ready” Symonds said catching Mazzarelli’s eye “just in case Doctor, this is still your game, I just want to be ready we’re out here on our own.”  The Santiago de Cuba spun slowly around one of the small asteroids as it did the ship rolled gracefully onto its back and down towards the planet.

“We have him!  He’s gone into that canyon” the dark-skinned sensor operator said tagging the region on her console.  On the other consoles of the Santiago’s bridge the canyon was lit up by the vessel’s sensors.

“Helm, slow engines to station keeping keep us in orbit of this rock and in range of that canyon but no need to waste fuel.”  He ordered reaching over to other controls as the helm station began to change the orientation of the ship and the power being delivered to the engines.  “All hands this is the captain prepare for zero thrust operations; all crewmen not comfortable with zero-g wear your slippers we don’t know when we’ll need to use the engines in a bit.”  Symonds ordered his crew into action in rapid succession the ship went from being under trust to spinning in space and breaking to nearly no velocity at all.  Now the ship was flying “backwards” but at a fraction of the speed that it had been previously using minimal trust to remain above the canyon the crew may feel the occasional jolt but for the most part they would not have the benefit of thrust delivered gravity for a bit.  “What have we got Sujitra?”

“Lots of rocks” the young woman said catching Symonds look out of the corner of her eye “yup, lots of rocks…” she repeated “and some metal, some high concentrations of metal about three hundred metres inside.  It could be natural but at that level of concentration I’d say we’re seeing some sort of landing bay.”

“Too small for us to fit in there.  If we want to drive them out, we’ll need to bring some sort of landing craft from outside the system.”  Symonds said “unless you can talk them out Doctor, we’re at an impasse.”

“To the people on the colony below this is Doctor Mazzarelli, you may not be aware of this but your world is in the heart of a nation known as the Lyran Commonwealth.  This nation is ruled by the Steiner family and is known in the Inner Sphere as one of the Succession States…”

“Oh boy, we’re going to be at this for a bit.”  Symonds noted hearing the doctor begin his history lesson.

“Maybe not we have movement from the canyon!”  Sujitra called out from her station “two small craft similar but not the same as the previous models.”

“Doctor, have you had anything from them?” Symonds asked as the two craft rose out of the canyon.  His DropShip was not heavily armed and against two modern aerospace fighters they’d have not chance, but he highly doubted that these craft were modern.

“No, captain”

“Fine, my turn” Symonds said flicking a switch on his control console shutting off Mazzarelli “this is Captain Wayne Symonds of the DropShip Santiago de Cube.  My DropShip is not a craft built for an invasion but we can and we will defend ourselves if we are threatened.”  He said watching as the two craft continued to approach.  “Final warning, identify yourselves or be subject to defence fire.”

“This is Leutenant Julie Mertens of Vendrell to DropShip we welcome you to the home space of Vendrell and the last bastion of the Protectorate of Donegal.”  The heavily German accented voice said coming through the radio system.  “You are intruders into our space, identify the reason you are here.”

“Protectorate of Donegal?”  Symonds said looking at Mazzarelli “Doctor?”

“A precursor nation to the Lyran Commonwealth.  One of House Steiner’s founding members, the richest of them, where leaders of our nation were originally born.  It hasn’t existed for nearly eight hundred years…”  He began to explain but Symonds raised a hand to silence him.

“Leutenant Mertens the nation you claim to represent became a founding member of the Lyran Commonwealth almost eight hundred years ago.  You have been cut off for a very long time.”

“We are aware, our colony and Rijeka are happy with our isolation.  We do not need to be subjugated by your Commonwealth like the Donegal was, our ancestors close to create a life for themselves in the stars away from the bigger national government which was being created.”

“The people of Donegal led the Lyran Commonwealth.  Archon Robert Marsden became the Commonwealth’s first Archon, his brother Alistair the second!”  Mazzarelli blurted out cutting over Symonds before the captain could speak.

“The traitor led the new Commonwealth?”  Martens asked back over the open channel “Santiago hold position.”  The woman said and the comm channel went silent for several minutes.  Symonds looked at Mazzarelli annoyed he had broken through.

“Sorry Captain, but these people descend from ancestors who thought their nation which was rich and prosperous was going to be subjugated and broken up by the other nations of the new Commonwealth.  They left based on a lie and have been cut off from the rest of us for more than seven hundred years!”

“I was getting to that point Doctor, this is going to be a lot for them to take in.”

“Third contact rising from the surface!”

“Communication from lead ship.”

“This is Leutenant Martens we are sending a small ship as there is not space for your vessel within our landing bay.  You are invited to send a delegation to Vendrell to speak to our leadership.”

“Doctor, looks like we’re going for a trip.”  Symonds said to the excited looking doctor.

---

An hour later the small craft carrying Dr Mazzarelli and Captain Symonds arrived on the asteroid colony of Vendrell.  The small craft had been of the same design as the other two craft and had docked with the Santiago’s external docking port they had been escorted into the rear of the craft which was little more than a converted cargo space.  The trip had been short the ship had landed on a landing pad which had retracted into a hanger below.  They had felt the ship be pulled along the hanger floor by something as the hanger pressurized outside after several minutes their pilots entered the rear cabin through a small slide door and then the side doors of the small craft opened and a ramp extended allowing the four people to exit.

Mazzarelli and Symonds were greeted by the sight anyone would encounter if they entered a hanger of a military vessel or underground installation all of the walls were made of heavily worn metal and the area was a hive of activity.  While they didn’t know if this was their only hanger Symonds could count seven of the craft similar to the three ship’s they had already encountered.

From deeper within the hanger a man wearing a grime covered black and grey coverall approached them he had a full head of greying hair and a greying beard he was easily in his early fifties and looked well for his age if a bit pale, probably due to the lack of natural exposure of sunlight.  I am Administrator Daniel de Oliveira of the Vendrell Colony, welcome to our colony and the soil of the Protectorate of Donegal.”  He said raising his hands openly to his side “my apologies for my appearance we had a maintenance issue which needed the hands of a trained operator.”

“Thank you for the welcome Administrator, I am Captain Wayne Symonds of the DropShip Santiago de Cuba and this is Doctor Thomas Mazzarelli of the Alarion Fellowship of Associated Scientists.”

“And you are from the Lyran Commonwealth?”

“Well less” Symonds answered the question simply.

“Our ancestors knew that one day the Commonwealth would expand to our shores.  What is it the Commonwealth wants with us today?”  Oliveira asked Symonds glanced at Mazzarelli who stepped forward.

“Mr Administrator, I do not know how far you think your ancestors travelled for the Commonwealth to finally reach your shores?”  He asked carefully seeing a small crowd of about thirty people so far had gathered to see the visitors.

“Our ancestors travelled for approximately eighty years settling in this system in early 2420 after a critical part of their colony ship failed during transit stranding them here.  They travelled far from the reach of the newly born Commonwealth and the external wars it was bringing to our lands.”  He said loudly enough for the crowd to hear and be proud of their accomplishments.  “While Vendrell and Rijeka are not the paradise worlds they hoped to find we have made them home.”

“I understand that and your Colony ship travelled through the Interstellar space between worlds?”  He asked trying to establish exactly how they had arrived to live here.

“Yes, their ship accelerated for years and then when they ran into difficulties, they made a heroic effort to slow to a stop in this system.”  Oliveira explained “our colony and Rijeka are the results of their efforts.”

“I don’t know how much you know of Interstellar travel Administrator?”  Captain Symonds asked not waiting for a response “travel in normal space is significantly slower than using Jump technology and it does not travel nearly as far.”

“Yes, we are aware but our ancestors did not have the funds to move such a large population by JumpShip and they wished to move all of their supporters at once before other elements got to them.  Their colony ship was the only option.”

“I can understand the issues they faced.”  Symonds said “but because they used normal space travel instead of jump technology.  Your people have moved a little under seven light years from Reese Station.  While you have been independent and your accomplishments are your own, you are still within the heart of the nation known as Lyran Commonwealth.”  He explained he could see the shock on the faces around them “now the Lyran nation is not coming here to enslave you.  My ship is one of science and exploration, but what you all need to know is that you are as Lyran as anyone else even if it’s something you haven’t been able to be part of until now.  And you could be in line for support from the nation’s leadership.”

“Something we can explore.”  Oliveira suggested “talking of which would you like to see more of our home?”  He offered and he began leading them of a tour of the facility which laid below.  The top level was exclusively the hanger facility but below that there were twelve additional floors which sprawled out several kilometres in every direction housing a population of nearly twenty-five thousand.  There were schools, hospitals and accommodation for all with many of the people who lived on the colony working in the maintenance of their home or on one of their satellite mining facilities.

While they were travelling Oliveira explained that Rijeka was similar to Vendrell but was nearly three days away through the asteroids and because of the size of the small craft it required several refuelling stops.  The two colonies essentially operated entirely independently of each other but traded regularly for supplies and parts with members of the population occasionally choosing to settle on the other colony keeping their gene pools diverse.  The news that outsiders from the Lyran Commonwealth had made contact swept through the two colonies quickly with many afraid of what the nation would do to their tiny “Protectorate” while others embraced the idea of being part of a grander nation and looked forwards to learning more about the nation their ancestors had run from.

Within weeks of the Santiago de Cuba’s arrival in the system and the return of their JumpShip a Lyran contact team is sent to the system with several cargo DropShips carrying additional supplies opening up the two colonies to the rest of the Commonwealth.  The people on the DropShips brought stories into the colonies as well as resources opening up opportunities for their population elsewhere.  The integration of the two colonies to the Lyran Commonwealth also brings taxes to the systems however because of their long isolation the Lyran government ensure they are introduced slowly.  For Symonds and Mazzarelli their mission in the system is done initially Mazzarelli’s scientists were allowed to explore the two colonies learning a little about their culture before the Lyran contact team took over leading to their presence being addition to the needs of the project.

Border skirmish
Ziliang, Ziliang PDZ
Capellan March, Federated Suns
14th May 3116

It was near the hour of midnight when the people of Ziliang realized something was wrong but things were far more advanced than they realized.  Under the cover of night, the Capellan Confederation had arrived on the world with a reinforced battalion of troops which had one goal, eliminate the leadership of the world and sow chaos.  The assault on Ziliang was part of a larger goal to unsettle the entire region as the Capellans made a play against their neighbouring succession state.

Their first goal on Ziliang was to target the Duke of Ziliang Marlin Alexander for death for years he had the First Federated Suns Armoured Cavalry on world to protect him but that elite unit was currently based off world with only the local militia unit to protect the duke.  The so-called Chancellor’s Chosen Augmented Battalions were made up of mostly Stealth equipped BattleMechs and they had moved quickly breaking through defence lines to deposit numerous Battle Armoured assassins into the duke’s private residence.  Having delivered his four Battle Armoured troopers to their target Sang-wei Lee Ji-sung sat in his Yamal BattleMech waiting for their return, this was a simple hit and escape mission and his sixty-ton Yamal, or Kangaroo, as the Battle Armour troopers nicknamed the design had been sent with a single mission to transport them in and get them back out.

The Yamal (Kangaroo) was a new BattleMech in the Capellan Confederation Armed Forces built at sixty tons it was capable of over eighty kilometres per hour and it was clad in thick stealth armour.  The Mech had four medium lasers and a flame thrower as armament but its true asset was its armour, speed and jump jets.  The Mech was designed with this sort of mission to get in unseen and to get back out before a defender could react.  For this mission his unit had sent six of the Kangaroos each carrying four Battle Armoured troopers to target the duke.

Now that the Battle Armoured troopers were inside Sang-wei Lee Ji-sung sat and waited for their return the night sky on Ziliang was nice tonight there was a faint green colour coming through the clouds Ji-sung had no idea why that would be the case but he took it as a good sign.  In his ten years serving with the CCAF he had served in many units but this was his first time leading an assault into the Federated Suns, his first of many.  Suddenly there was signal from in front of the Mech and Ji-sung could see a Fa Shih suited trooper with an unconscious figure over their shoulder indicating for his attention.

The Kangaroo was designed to serve as a command Mech but that same facility could be locked out essentially as a cell and be used as a transport for those captured in combat.  Ji-sung folded the BattleMech’s legs carefully under itself lowering the Mech’s profile to a near prone position he then flicked the toggle for the front hatch and the forward cockpit on the Mech opened.  Unlike many BattleMechs with a Command Console feature the Kangaroo’s was located at the front of the Mech allowing for a prisoner to be loaded quickly into the Mech.  The Battle Armoured trooper did not wait long and moved forward buckling his new passenger in place.  From what Ji-sung could see she was a young woman in her early twenties still dressed in her bed clothing and wrapped in a robe.  As the trooper buckled her in the pilot locked out the controls in the front compartment, he didn’t need her waking during the trip, he didn’t know who she was, the plan had not been to capture anyone.  Once his passenger was buckled in the trooper withdrew from the front of his Mech and Ji-sung toggled the cockpit closed before bringing the BattleMech back to a standing position.  On his main communication screen at the front of his cockpit Ji-sung could see a simple unspoken command “Go!”

Accelerating quickly Ji-sung ducked his thin BattleMech through the night streets of Ziliang while the Kangaroo weighed in at sixty tons it was not a wide BattleMechs both “arms” were more like shoulder stumps and the rest of the Mech was longer than wider with the forward mounted second cockpit and rear torso mounted jump jets.  The guardian electronic counter measures suite and stealth armour combined to hide the black painted Mech from sensors but nothing could hide an eight-metre tall BattleMech charging through the city.  The first patrol to see him were a pair of Sortek Mechanized Combat Vehicles which were most likely responding to the attack on the duke’s residence, their response at encountering an enemy Mech was typical and they filled the air with particle cannon fire trying to tag his Mech one blast of man-made lighting slammed into his Mech’s left torso while the other slammed into the building beside him Ji-sung took evasive action and turned his Mech to the right avoiding further fire heading down another street.

Whether it was the impact of the particle cannon or his evasive manoeuvre Lee Ji-sung’s passenger woke following the encounter with the two vehicles and she began to scream out of a mix of fear and anger.  Lee quickly muted the intercom between the two cockpits, he didn’t need the distraction as they ran through the city streets.  His sensors flashed up with another target a fast-moving BattleMech, he twisted his BattleMech’s torso to see if he could get a look of any targets first on his left and then on his right but nothing appeared before his Mech was hit by four tightly packed pulse laser blasts.  Twisting his Mech back around he noticed it was a Gunsmith which weighed less than half the tonnage of his heavier Mech unfortunately its laser reflective armour would make his lasers far less effective against the target.  Firing all four medium lasers into the target he saw that three hit their target but even with his successes due to the enemy Mech’s specialized armour he hadn’t even penetrated the Mech’s armour.  He lunged the Kangaroo forwards trying to kick out at the lighter Mech, hoping to land a crippling blow, but missed the Gunsmith ran off firing its pulse lasers back at him.  Lee Ji-sung wasn’t interested in trying to catch a faster light Mech instead he jumped the Kangaroo away from the lighter target more green pulse lasers filled the air but missed the flying Capellan Mech.  His passenger continued to scream angrily at him as his Mech reached the top of its jump, she then continued to scream as they began to fall again.  Ji-sung cut in the jump jets at the last moment softening the landing and the Kangaroo continued to run.
Unfortunately, the encounter with the Sorteks and then the Gunsmith had put him behind schedule at reaching his rendezvous point with their DropShips and now time could not be wasted.  Landing Ji-Sung plotted a course for outside the city while keeping a look out for additional enemy targets his concentration on piloting the heavy Mech at speed resulted in Ji-sung missing the two Maten Scout VTOLs pass by his position fortunately the automated anti-missile system was ready and immediately engaged the incoming missiles from the two aircraft.  Unlike the Gunsmith which Lee Ji-sung knew he could scare away with his Mech’s size the two VTOLs could pick away at his armour and report his Mech’s position to other enemy units meaning he had to do something about them.  Stopping his progress rapidly he changed direction heading the opposite way from originally intended trying to throw off the two VTOLs.  His passenger had quietened down and was not crying he wondered if she was resigned to her fate or if the heat in the cockpit had finally begun to get to her.  Unfortunately, Ji-sung had no intentions of letting up launching the Mech into the air once more he triggered the four medium lasers on hitting one target with two of them, fortunately two medium lasers against a small VTOL were plenty and the small aircraft exploded, his anti-missile system engaged the incoming missiles cutting down several as fragments of the aircraft rained down on the streets below.  The Kangaroo came down heavily and Lee Ji-rung ran the sixty-ton Mech back in the opposite direction.  His sensors showed several enemy Mechs were combing the area looking for him, word must have been out, dodging further combat Ji-sung piloted his Kangaroo into the city river and waded towards the deepest part.  From there he made slow but steady progress out of the Unfortunately, city limits his passenger had fallen unconscious during the engagement with the VTOLs so she was mercifully silent.
Once out of the city Lee Ji-sung piloted the Kamal back up onto the banks of the river.  Behind him he could see the city was on fire as other members of his Chosen unit continued to harass Davion defenders.  The battle for Ziliang was not over after tonight, it had just begun.  He thoughts as he piloted his Mech the several kilometres south of the city back towards their DropShips.  His Mech was waved directly towards their command DropShip a low to the ground Assault Triumph he was directed to lower his Mech to the ground position and open the front cockpit then his passenger was unloaded and he was directed to move again this time to the Mechbay for repairs before his next mission.

The battle for Ziliang was not over nor were the battles for eight other systems as the Capellan Confederation launched a mini-invasion of the Federated Suns testing out their new augmented battalion forces flooding the Ziliang PDZ with forces.  For weeks the worlds would be contested between the Federated Suns and Capellan Confederation with four of the nine worlds Uravan, Weatogue, Ikast and Manapire falling into Capellan control and the others being contested.
News breaks a couple of days later that Duke Alexander of Ziliang had survived an attempt on his life but his daughter had been kidnapped by the invaders and that they were trying to use her as leverage over the duke as they continued to contest the world.  With the news of his daughter’s abduction made public Duke Marlin Alexander has little option but to remove himself from the defence of the world hurting the AFFS defenders but maintaining their integrity.  With the Duke out of the world’s defence structure the Capellans have little need for his daughter, a body of a young woman matching her description is found in the river three weeks after the battle for Ziliang once Capellan forces have been forced off the world.  The cause of death is confirmed to be drowning and DNA records confirm that it was Duke Marlin Alexander’s daughter.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1387 on: 10 January 2022, 17:32:27 »
Solaris Racing League Practice Event
Masako, Solaris VII
Independent Clan Space
23rd May 3116

The game world, Solaris VII, continues to spin and the competitions continue to amaze spectators year-round.  The Solaris Racing League event which pitted pilots in single seat conventional fighter craft racing against the clock in its opening season of 3115 was ramping up for a second run and hoping to bring in bigger more profitable audiences than the previous year the organisers of the event choose to introduce additional obstacles.  A majority of the racers do not think the new additions are necessary but agree to allow them to be introduced first in the practice race outside of the small town of Masako in the Draconis Combine dominated region on the world.

The practice race is a single lap of a famed area near Masako through a nature reserve which has been surrounded by some elevated spectator areas which are used by the teams to monitor their aircraft and make refinements in a controlled area.  Due to the additional areas available some VIPs, members of the press and social influencers from Solaris are allowed exclusive access to watch the practice runs with the intentions of raising the Racing League’s profile.

Unfortunately, this increased scrutiny and additional obstacles makes a mockery of the completion two pilots who were attempting to show off in front of their supporters and the press crash into some of the additional obstacles while one pilot Mathilde Noir completely loses control of her Boomerang Spotter Plane and crashes causing a huge fireball which claim’s the pilot’s life.  With these accidents far more public than the SRL would like the rest of the practice sessions are cancelled and the obstacles are removed from the remainder of the season so their introduction can be properly studied.

Border conflict
Thadora’s Land, Southwest Covenant
28th May 3116

The Cirincus Federation launch several attacks on the Southwest Covenant following the failure of a trade agreement.  For months the Cirincus Federation had been trying to convince the Southwest Covenant and the Zeta Quadrant worlds that an alliance with the Federation would be beneficial for all three nations, unfortunately the two smaller nations saw these suggestions exactly what they were for, the Federation attempting to conquer them without firing a shot.  Both Southwest Covenant leadership and Zeta Quadrant leaderships had rejected the Cirincus Federation trade deals and now the nation was attempting to bully them into submission.

In their attacks on the Southwest Covenant the Cirincus Federation deploy entire companies of WVR-9R Wolverine BattleMechs suggesting that they were able to manufacture the BattleMech and that they had been for some time.  The inclusion of so many brand-new BattleMechs are enough for Cirincus to secure control over Thadora’s Land but they are forced off the other two worlds by the dedicated defences of local militia and supporting mercenary forces.  In an effort to further bolster their available forces the Southwest Covenant send addition negotiators to Galatea Station and other hiring worlds looking for mercenaries.

The Kangaroo I found on Facebook and was created by Xander MacLeod.  I'll post the design in the design section shortly it's used with the creator's permission.
« Last Edit: 10 January 2022, 17:34:56 by Dragon Cat »

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1389 on: 11 January 2022, 08:22:43 »
Man, you go in so many directions with this saga, DragonCat.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1390 on: 11 January 2022, 15:18:42 »
Man, you go in so many directions with this saga, DragonCat.

I want to show as much of the Inner Sphere and Clans as possible, there are most definitely gaps and any time there's a suggestion I'll gladly take it

There's a piece from marauder coming up shortly exploring some internal Sea Fox fun and plenty more besides that  really got the writing bug at the moment

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1391 on: 14 January 2022, 15:38:28 »
Minnetonka Hotel
Solaris City, Solaris VII
Independent Clan World
6th June 3116

It was 0402 on the morning of the 6th Jun 3116 and Reporter Sarah El-Sabbagh hadn’t had a wink of sleep, she was based three blocks from the massive Star League Stadium and it was the morning of the Forty-third Star League Games, the biggest game on Solaris schedule this week.  The air was filled with the sound of low flying VTOL engines and the sirens as a group of Mao-Heng Charioteer ground vehicles sped down the street their police sirens screaming.  “Ben, get them on camera then pan up and get the SWAT Carriers in the shot too.  I’m going to prep the piece.”  Her red Natasha Kerensky-styled hair flowing as she leaned out their hotel room window watching the convoy of vehicles pass by.

“How many calls is that today already?” Ben Tan asked leaning out the window with his Tri-vid camera capturing images of the Charioteers and the nearby VTOLs higher above there was a Cloud Nine Airship also patrolling the area Ben did his best to capture the massive delta winged craft on camera before it slipped back above the clouds.  The Clan and Inner Sphere forces on Solaris had two of the thousand-ton support airships as part of their combined police and peacekeeping force rarely was it seen in public other than when they wanted it to be seen.

“At least four I’ve counted, it’s the Sixth of June, Ben everyone is jumping through hoops hoping there isn’t a repeat of previous years.”  She said flipping her hair over each shoulder and opening the top button of her white shirt showing a little bit of skin didn’t hurt the ratings.  She saw Ben looking at her for a moment “what?  I’ve covered these games three times now, this has got to be the worse date of the year for them to hold these games, after the disaster in ‘74 they can’t afford another balls up.”  She said “you got the shot?”

“I got it, we have no idea what the context of their trip is but I’ve got it.”

“Why else wake up the entire city?”  She demanded with a knowing smirk, they city was on edge they were just reporting it, seeing Ben flick the switch on the camera she composed herself for a moment “ladies and gentlemen, my name is Sarah El-Sabbagh and we have just witnessed the fourth Police Call out in Solaris City in as many hours.  While it has not been confirmed by authorities, we believe these call outs have been for scares over potential Sixth of June Terrorist Activities.  With the Star League Games due to start in just a few short hours I’ll be staying on the pulse as we watch and pray that nothing befalls these games.  I’m Sarah El-Sabbagh live from Solaris City on the Day of the Forty-third Star League Games.”  She said she saw Ben cut the feed “good, cut that with your footage and upload it to the server we’re going to have a busy day ahead of us.”

“We don’t even have press credentials to get into the Stadium, the Clanners are clamping down hard on it this year even the Commission hasn’t been able to open up as much as they want.”  Ben Tan complained he’d worked with Sarah for three years and he hated the Star League Games, he hated Solaris but they went where Sarah thought they’d get the best ratings looking to pick up the story that would make their careers and the games taking place on such an infamous date was too much to turn down.

The scares continued throughout the day continued with nearly the entire Police force of Solaris VII deployed in and around the Star League Stadium.  Fortunately for the competitors, the spectators and the games organizers the games go on without incident with Dracois Combine Mustered Society Officer Tai-sa Kenji Shimura piloting a Hatamoto-suna Assault BattleMech winning the day over other competitors.  Without access to the games and without a major story outside Sarah and Ben must wait for another story to earn them fame.

As the anniversary of the Sixth of June passes across the Inner Sphere there are several terrorist attacks claimed to have been committed by the infamous group but none are proven to be the case and all are on a far smaller scale than previously attempted by the group.

Final assault
Wolf City, Gallery
Halfway Province, Lyran Commonwealth
12th June 3116

As the sands blew their heaviest in a century above ground the Mountain Wolfs sat in their den on Gallery and awaited their fate.  Unfortunately, the warriors who remained knew this time was coming, they’d known for several days and had made peace with it.  “Lyran troops have entered the base!  Lyran troops have entered the base!”  The warning sounded constantly as a rumble rolled through the caverns as Lyran Commonwealth Commandos approached command.

“This is Star Colonel Daniela Wolf to all Moutain Wolf forces, offer no resistance.  Lyran Commanders are to be welcomed to Gallery; we are not their enemy.”  The most senior Mountain Wolf warrior said standing beside the command holotank, she had been wrong, wrong so many times today was the day she’d make things a little righter.  Daniela Wolf had never expected to lead so many of her people nor had she ever expected to be here at the end of her Clan’s life, she knew that day was today and there was nothing she could do about it.

It didn’t take long for the lead Lyran Commonwealth troopers to reach the command complex of the Mountain Wolves.  Barging into the complex fully armoured in their Grey Death Infiltrator Battle Amour Suits their under-arm gauss rifles and firedrake needlers covering the entire room.  With these weapons the four lead troopers alone could wipe out ever man and woman in the command complex in a matter of seconds.

“By the order of General of Armies Sabine Steiner, you and all Mountain Wolf forces are ordered to stand down and surrender!  ”  The troopers screamed. "The Mountain Wolf Clan is charged with deploying a biological weapon against the Lyran Commonwealth."

“I am Star Colonel Daniela Wolf; I am ready to offer my Clan’s unconditional surrender to your forces.”  She said raising her right hand up in surrender, weeks before the Mountain Wolves had stood as allies to those of the Lyran Commonwealth now she was faced with their weapons.  She understood the challenge, since returning to Gallery she had learned of the Mountain Wolf scientists actions here and in the Commonwealth beyond it made her sick to her stomach.

“Where is Riko Danvers!”  The lead trooper demanded not even bothering to introduce himself, at least Daniela thought he was a he the trooper had kept his armour sealed, not that she blamed him after what the Mountain Wolf scientists had done.

There was a genetic illness that had been striking the Lyran Commonwealth for months.  It appeared to pick out genetic markers in victims nearly at random but in fact it was very well designed, and it had been designed here on Gallery by Riko Danvers and his other scientists.  Daniela had been assigned to Tharkad assisting in the defence of the Lyran Commonwealth and she had not seen what Danvers and his cohorts had done to the people of Gallery, her people.  In the months before releasing the illness on the Lyran Commonwealth Riko Danvers had tested it first here on the native population of Gallery and then on the Mountain Wolves based here.  The formerly proud Clan was now sick and dying in the caves which the Lyran Commonwealth had gifted them.  There was no known cure for this virus the only way was to allow it to run its course fortunately one thing she had learned on Gallery, the virus had a shelf life which she could offer to the Commonwealth.

“Where is Riko Danvers!”  The trooper repeated the under arm needler almost twitching as he spoke.

“He’s gone!”  She snapped angrily.  “He and his allies escaped on a trader DropShip last week.  The DropShip was supposed to be taking supplies to our troops on Krevci, it did not arrive.  I do not know where he is.”

“Research papers!  The damage he has done to the Commonwealth may be irreparable.”

“It is not irreparable” Daniela said through the tears that were running down her wrinkled face she felt like she had aged several years in the last few days alone after seeing the destruction that she had allowed Riko Danvers to wrought here on Gallery.  “We cannot undo the damage that has been done, but I have learned that the virus has a shelf life.  It needs to be quarantined until its life is over and once that happens it becomes inert.  Do you understand time, time is what your people need, time will eliminate this virus to a horrible memory.”  She said “we have learned this here on Gallery Riko Danvers released the virus here first and devastated our lower castes with it.  Time has passed now and the virus is gone.  Our troops that are off world have had nothing to do with this they are innocent of what has happened but we understand that our Clan must pay a price for what we have unleashed.”  She said raising her left hand and placing what she held on the table in front of her.  The item had two cubes one above her closed hand and the other underneath, she held the trigger in between these two cubes tightly.  “I am going to give you time, Commander, time to get your men and women out of this complex before we pay Surkai for our actions.”

“You offered your surrender; how can you turn this on us with this?”

“Our people here have done too many wrongs to simply say sorry.”  Daniela explained “our troops off world will continue to serve your people when we are gone.  I have ordered them to stand down without resistance, and I have ordered our JumpShips to do the same.  Our legacy will survive but these caves which we have made our home in must be cleansed of the stain of our failures.”  She said looking down at the device “now go!  Leave us to our path!”  She bellowed

The Lyran Battle Armoured troopers ran as quickly as they could through the complex of caves with the Mountain Wolves watching as they left.  Each member of the Clan had been informed of Danvers actions and informed about what he had done to their people as well, each of them had accepted the chosen path of Surkai.

“All Lyran troops have left the facility.  Sealing entrance doors.”  The announcer said over the speakers due to the hostile nature of Gallery’s surface almost all of Wolf City had been constructed underground in a huge complex of caves.  Each entrance had massive airlock like doors which could be closed to seal off the city to the outside world it would take several minutes for all the doors to close.  Daniela Wolf remained silent looking at the dead mans switch in her hands, the tears continuing to flow, she could hear others were also crying as well their failure as Clansmen complete.  “All… all external doors are secured.  Khan Wolf, we are all ready.”  The announcer said sending one final message.

Star Colonel Daniela Wolf was not Khan of the Mountain Wolf Clan.  Due to the tiny remains of the Mountain Wolves, and the sway of Riko Danvers, they had never elected a Khan instead trusting Daniela and their Scientists to guide them in their rebuilding.  How wrong had they been?  Daniela looked around the room “it’s been an honour.”  She said releasing the dead-man’s switch.  Near the bottom of Wolf City a series of nuclear armed explosives detonate within moments of Daniela releasing the switch.  Within hours the last remnants of the Mountain Wolf Clan are wiped from existence as the nuclear flames burns through the entire cave.  The explosives cause the caves which Wolf City had been built in to collapse crushing the remains of the city in thousands of tons of rubble.

Off of Gallery the three active Clusters of Mountain Wolf troops on Kreci, Gladius and Donegal are stood down by the Lyran Commonwealth forces with the warriors all cashiered out of service and their equipment seized.  While none are found to be guilty of causing harm to the Lyran Commonwealth simply no unit wishes to have them in their units.  Many of the warriors leave Lyran space or head to mercenary hiring halls in the coming weeks.

As the news spreads Clan Wolf which took in the other half of Clan Mountain Wolf and remade their Clan whole following the time of the Exiles strikes the Mountain Wolf name from their Clan’s Clusters and from their Clan’s remembrance.  Dozens of the warriors of the former Clan face Trials of Grievance from other Wolves throught the coming months as the Crusader Clan attempts to wipe the legacy from its ranks, only a few of the warriors including Khan Cade Kell survive the series of Trials.

Internal Management
Kaumberg, Kaumberg Archonette
18th June 3116

Elsewhere in the Lyran Commonwealth there is a series of terrorist attacks claimed by the Democracy Now movement.  Without support from Carlisle and Tharkad the Kaumberg Lord of Lords Erich Sheridan announces the formation of the Kaumberg Archonette which will allow him to combat the movement and maintain the correct defences to be used against the encroaching Fire Mandrill Clan.  This change encompasses the entirety of the Kaumberg Theatre and adds in several worlds from the Alarion Province.  Erich Sheridan cites the lasting Buena Khanate as the reason behind his move to bring more worlds under Kaumberg’s control.

Spirit of Northumberland (Endeavor-class Explorer)
Zebra, Deep Periphery
22nd June 3116

A flash of light and the long boxy Endeavor-class Exploration Vessel Spirit of Northumberland entered a system further from the Inner Sphere than it had ever been, even further than the research colony McEvedy’s Folly.  The massive rectangular gravity deck which dominated the middle of the ship began to spin almost immediately.  At the rear of the vessel the huge jumpsail began to extend from the WarShip’s hull.

In the command deck Captain Bruce Barnes sat and monitored operations “deploy small craft and the MacMahon they can assist us in bringing in the cargo pods.  Have their Mechs deployed along our hull towards the cargo bay.”  He ordered from the ventral spire at the front of the ship the vessel’s Fortress-class DropShip detached and took up a position off the vessel’s bow.  Meanwhile three small craft accelerated away from the space craft.

“They are in position.”  The sensor operator “The MechWarriors are ready.”  Along the hull there were now six ultra-light BattleMechs waiting to assist the crew.

“Open cargo bay – cargo operators can leave the bay but should be no further than one hundred metres from the bay doors.”  The captain said near the back of the ship several power armour equipped troopers exited the vessel and took positions waiting for the cargo launch.  “None of us have done this before outside simulations so be prepared for anything.”  He said briefing the crew “communications raise Cassion One, have them launch package one.”

Several hundred metres away a Cassion Payload Satelite opened its first cargo bay and deployed a fifty-ton cargo pod immediately the first small craft moved in and grappled the pod beginning to drag it towards the Spirit of Northumberland once it got closer the BattleMechs and Power Armour reached out to grab the pod.  The first few missed the incoming pod but the next layer of Mechs caught the Pod and passed it onto several power armoured troopers.  Immediately the next small craft grappled the next pod and began to move it towards the Spirit while the first small craft moved off heading towards the second Cassion.

These two payload satellites had been deployed in this system several months before the Spirit had even left the docks they were each filled with roughly one hundred-and-fifty tons of spare parts, fuel and supplies which would help the Spirit extend its mission by several months deeper into space.  This supply point and one other Whisky would serve as “pit-stops” for the vessel one heading out and one returning home.

Asset redeployment
Marduk, Robinson PDZ
Draconis March, Federated Suns
22nd June 3116

Intent on maintaining control over their salient into the Draconis Combine the Federated Suns Navy deploy the FSS Sortek, a Davion III-class Destroyer, and the FSS Lancaster, a Vincent Davion-class Destroyer, along with several support DropShips to the Marduk system on the Combine border.  Their arrival comes as Warrior House Sortek, the wayward solders from the Confederated Suns, return from a raid into the Draconis Combine returning to their garrison position on Marduk with well over a company’s worth of Combine built BattleMechs.

On the planet’s surface the Warrior House’s fortification deep in the Buick Mountain Range is well under construction and is occupied by the unit and their support personnel, the facility is already capable of surviving a nuclear or orbital bombardment and is able to support nearly five thousand personnel should it be required.  Deep within its training ranges the next generation of Warrior House inductees, which have been gleaned from across the Draconis March, are training ready to take their place in what is becoming a prestigious unit.  Year on year more people flock to the world of Marduk looking to become associated with the Warrior House which has also led to a boon in the world’s gross national product.  The world’s sole production facility Norse BattleMech Works continues to produce Griffin and Wolverine BattleMechs for the AFFS and has been working on a new variant of the Lynx BattleMech which would be produced under licence at the Marduk based plant.
« Last Edit: 14 January 2022, 15:43:49 by Dragon Cat »

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #1392 on: 18 January 2022, 10:52:12 »
Excellent updates, and The Society is still clearly going strong, but blimey the end of the Mountain Wolves...that was a shocker!
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1393 on: 30 January 2022, 11:42:50 »
Excellent updates, and The Society is still clearly going strong, but blimey the end of the Mountain Wolves...that was a shocker!

I regretted not getting rid of them the honourable way and merging them completely with the Wolf Clan but I didn't think the Society cell would grow as well in the full Clan Wolf and I wanted Riko Danvers to have a little time (he's not done with yet).  Instead it gave me a chance to play on the Lyran desperation for tech and to give them what they want.  Unfortunately that backfired on them just a bit.  I to-and-frowed about how to end their story with the virus having already ravaged their own population I thought this was the best way for them to go.

Into another month I've got plenty more twists and turns to come as we head into the second half of 3116.

Solaris Racing League
San Bardo Canyon, Equatus
Solaris VII, Independent Clan Territory
8th July 3116

“Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen, my name is Rick De Graff and for the last thirty years I have commentated on the various competitions that have taken place here on Solaris VII.”  He said beginning the broadcast in his customary manner. “I stayed on with the Leagues when the Clans came to Solaris and have seen them go from strength to strength, even though the Clan culture is completely at odds with the life of Solaris they understand the need for a good fight.”  He said using the same entrance he did to almost all his shows the truth was that when other left Solaris for other markets he stayed on Solaris VII and continued to watch and commentate on the events that took place around the planet.  “Today we see the start of another Solaris Racing League season after a bumpy start we have eight pilots who are ready to race it out over three circuits here in San Bardo Canyon, Deep inside Dunnet Forest and in the Slanotov Industrial Zone.  A planned fourth race circuit has been cancelled following the recent virus outbreak inside the Lyran realm.”  He explained “it is also my duty to inform the spectators here on Solaris and beyond that since the revelation that the virus came from the Mountain Wolves, which our Archon harboured on the world of Gallery, a planned entrance from a team representing Clan Sea Fox has also been cancelled for this year which coincides with Santova the closure of the borders to all non-essential travel with all of our Clan neighbours.”

While many within the Lyran realm would welcome less Clan intrusions into their territory and no doubt more extreme elements of the nation’s populace would campaign for more extensive use of biological or chemical against their Clan enemies should it make them back off most did not understand that a significant amount of trade continued between the Lyran nation and their neighbours even during war time.

“We’ll bring you the play-by-play from high above every race in what promises to be an exciting season.”  Rick De Graff continued “a planned introduction of additional obstacles to this year’s races was stopped following several crashes during practice sessions including one which resulted in the untimely passing of Pilot Mathilde Noir.”  He said as a montage of Mathilde Noir’s acrobatic performances across Solaris VII were played.  “Mathilde Noir was a former six-year veteran with the Armed Forces of the Federated Suns piloting her Boomerang Scout Plane throughout combat theatres in the Federated Suns Capellan March.  She came to Solaris VII in 3101 and had acrobatic shows at dozens of venues across the planet including the opening Class B season of the Solaris Games in 3106.  She was an early acceptance to the planned 3116 Solaris Racing League season.  She will be missed by all of us at the Solaris Racing League Team.  Please join us in a moment of reflection over our lost racer!”  He finished as the Lexan Oceanic Series Luxury VTOL he used as a base was joined in an arrowhead formation by the eight remaining competitors for this season with four on each side of the Lexan.

“But we have another racing season to begin!”  De Graff said after several moments of silence suddenly the eight fighters sped forward away from the Lexan splitting off in different directions with the previous season’s winner Jonnie Mjalby’s ASF-23 Protector Aircraft, which had been painted in three different shades of green for this season, pulling upwards and away from the Lexan.

Over the course of the net two days the previous season’s second place finishing pilot Koskova Yartseva piloting her HL-15 Hellfish Light Attack Fighter won the racing competition.  Jonnie Mjalby was able to recover from a bad start and a technical issue to finish in third place while pilot Nicolae Carpathia piloting an MSF-42 Bluehawk Combat Support came second.

Northwind Military Academy
New Lanark, Northwind
Northwind EDZ, Star League Protectorate
12th July 3116

On a bright morning at the Northwind Military Academy nearly six hundred cadets stood waiting to begin their careers as soldiers and officers of the Star League Defence Force.  As they waited in the early summer sun of Northwind a chilly eastern breeze blew across the parade ground.  In front of the entire class the head of the Northwind Military Academy Brigadier General Michael Maguire stepped up onto a slightly raised podium.  “Good morning cadets, welcome to Northwind and to one of the Star League Defence Force’s premier Military Academies.  Here we will educate you beyond the academies you have attended before, you will learn the art of war and you will learn what it is to be a member of the Inner Sphere’s primary defence force against the Clan threat.  We will teach you how to serve, and how to act as members of the Star League Defence Force.”  He said introducing himself and the purpose of the facility, if any of them had thought anything differently, standing silently listening to the General about six rows back from the front near the centre of the formation of cadets stood seventeen Lady Janella Lakewood a native of the world of Fletcher, she stood at one hundred-and-seventy-two centimetres tall, she had long dark hair was tied back with a red ribbon, the colour which was on her family crest.  Her father had served with the SLDF in the early days of its formation and now he and her mother owned a business and land on Fletcher.  She could easily have lived a life as a noblewoman on Fletcher without ever going to war but she saw it as her duty to serve in the defence of the Protectorate and of the Inner Sphere, this was the first step towards what she planned to be a long career.

Border Dispute
Land’s End Prefecture, Pesht Military District
Draconis Combine
18th July 3116

In an invasion of the Draconis Combine Clan Lynx invades the systems of Korramabad, Lupine V and Pusht-i-rud leading the invasion are three of Clan Lynx’s newest WarShips which had been gained in a trade with Clan Nova Cat for natural resources off of worlds taken by the Lynx Clan.  As the Lynx Clan originated from Clan Nova Cat it is of little surprise that the two Clans continue to have good relations.  The three systems that had been invaded had been a hot-bed for Black Dragon Society operations for decades and so they had a heavy security and infantry defence force which were completely unequipped to deal with the invading Clan forces.

On Pusht-i-rud the defence forces were not ready to face Clan Lynx forces and felt abandoned by the DCMS command their commander Sho-sho Kiyochika Kane had called for aid but that aid had been rejected, Kane did not plan on laying down for the invading forces but with an Onslaught-class Assault Frigate and several DropShips inbound he knew a defence was impossible.  The Sho-sho attended a known Black Dragon hideout with his top three infantry battalion leaders each of them was armed simply with the weapons of a samurai twin swords and a single sidearm weapon.

“You have a lot of nerve attending here Sho-sho Kane-san without your military forces” the black cloaked leader said looking at him.  Sho-sho Kiyochika Kane was a gaijin not born of Japanese descent, he was originally from the world of Cosenza, for nearly thirty years he had served the DCMS as an infantry and armour commander and he’d given a lot for the Draconis Combine but because of his birth right he had not raised higher than Sho-sho and he had remained on the periphery border of the Draconis Combine.  Now with a Clan bearing down on him his world was under threat and he did not have the weapons to protect them, he’d been abandoned by his commanders.

“I am here to offer your forces a truce.”  He said “Clan Lynx has come to this system and we” he said raising his hands to the take in the other three officers “cannot offer this world a fighting chance of remaining independent.”  He said looking at the figure “we have always dealt with your people fairly; I have kept the ISF from pursuing you when it could potentially cripple your people because of the good the Kokuryu-kai have done for the people of this world.”

“Your people have benefited as well Sho-sho, yourself included, we are well aware that you have benefited personally from some of our operations.”

“Hai, that is correct” Kane admitted “and now I propose we work together for the benefit of all of our people.”  He suggested “I have three Infantry DropShips available to my forces we have space onboard them to carry additional personnel over and above what we have, but I have no access to a JumpShip.”

“And why would you think that we do?”

“I am well aware that your people have access to a Starlord-class vessel and that it frequents this system bringing in supplies.  Thus far you have not brought weapons, or at least you haven’t used them, here so we have allowed it to continue.”

“This world is a supply world for our people who are elsewhere.”  The cloaked figure said “we could come to an arrangement Sho-sho at least until we are clear from this system.  We have nearly three hundred people who we must get off this world.”

“I can help transport perhaps a third of that on board our Nagumos.”

“And we have access to a DropShip as well.”  The cloaked figure said “it is being prepared as we speak and will be ready to leave shortly.”

“Then it’s agreed we’ll evacuate this system and once we are somewhere safe, we will go our separate ways.”  Kane suggested, the figure nodded their agreement.

Several hours later Kane’s three Nagumos were loaded up with his troops and several dozen civilians both from the infantry’s support units and from the Black Dragon Society.  The three ships took off and met with the Kokuryu-kai’s Rose-class vessel and the four ships burned away from Pusht-i-rud as the Lynx Clan burned towards the planet which fell with barely a shot fired.

Aeroyard Gargain
Bearclaw, Kerensky Cluster
Clan Space
26th July 3116

The streets of Bearclaw had been bathed in blood for months as the Society tried and failed to stop Clans Blood Spirit and Goliath Scorpion return the world to Clan hands.  Hundreds of thousands of the civilian castes had been killed as the Clans wrestled with the Society to break their hold over the world with hundreds of civilians taking up arms to contest the ownership of their home, all of them hoping that returning a Clan to control over the world would make life better than what the Society had made it.  Despite the heavy losses the world had finally fallen to the Bear claw Clans and it had become the fourth planet in the Homeworlds to be liberated, unfortunately the two Clans currently holding out against the Society were steadily running out of resources as their numbers of trained warriors continued to dwindle.

One the grounds of Aeroyard Gargain a pair of Clan Blood Spirit painted Guardian II Ultra-light Mechs walked by a downed Society Haze OmniMech one of the last to fall in the production centre’s grounds. The Guardian II weighed in at fifteen tons and was being produced now in greater numbers than ever for use in garrison posts.  It was covered in machine guns, with a Flamer and Medium laser for heavier targets. When the OmniMech had run out of fight the pilot had ejected wearing a power armoured suit and continued to fight against unarmoured infantry soldiers before finally being overrun.  For the most part Aeroyard Gargain had been captured intact, the Society commanders had not caused physical harm to the facilities but their electronic technicians had left several computer viruses active leading to the production facility being useless until they were cleared.  The goal was clear make the facility unusable by the Clans until the Society could return and retake the facility unfortunately their destruction on the world had been complete during the last offensive and with two WarShips protecting the world from space there was little chance the Society would be returning soon.

The destroyed Haze OmniMech is from Fan XTRO Society while the Guardian II I'm using comes from Patreon creator Bishop Steiner
« Last Edit: 30 January 2022, 16:59:16 by Dragon Cat »

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #1394 on: 30 January 2022, 12:37:59 »
Another good update DC.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1395 on: 14 February 2022, 17:02:51 »

Halas Manor
Amur, Oriente
District of Oriente, Free Worlds League
9th August 3116

In his stately home on Oriente the Grand-duke of Oriente Jonas Halas passes away in his sleep following a massive heart attack aged on fifty-one years old.  Jonas leaves behind a nation which is being pressed from two sides with the Capellan Confederation and Magistracy of Canopus both continuing to cause border issues.  At twenty-two years old Sophie Halas becomes the Duchess of Oriente and becomes one of the youngest leaders in the Inner Sphere for the last year she had served with the Eagle’s Talons Special Forces Command.  To show she is fully in command and control of her emotions on the day of her father’s death she visits important defence contractor Etna Foundries and tours their sprawling Battle Armour production facility.  As part of the trip, she is fitted for her own suit of Leonidas Battle Armour suit which she is gifted by the company at the end of the visit.  While a Land-Air Mech pilot in the District of Oriente Military the gift from the company and walks away from the facility wearing the suit.  Despite her obvious personal loss, the young woman is attentive to the owners of the factory and listens carefully while asking several questions.  Meanwhile Sophie’s two brothers Javier and Ralph, both twenty years old, having previously been known for stealing two Persus OmniMechs for their private use causing multiple civilian deaths and millions in damage decide the best way to honour their father is to hold a wake for him in the most expensive restaurants located within Amur in which both brothers, and over one hundred guests get very intoxicated to the point of needing city security forces to break up the party.

Elsewhere in the Free Worlds League Clan Wolf launch several assaults against the District of Marik Wolf troops resecure control over the Preston and Zortman systems and launch a deep strike onto the world of Keystone shattering the First Marik Militia which was on the planet.  In space a titanic battle is unleashed as four Clan Wolf WarShips including the Battleships Nicholas Kerensky and Werewolf taken on the Loyalty Battle Group headed by the MS Loyalty, a Thera-class Carrier.  While the fighters from the Loyalty cause enough damage to cripple the Nicholas Kerensky and destroy the Vampire Wolf, a Lola IV-class Destroyer and the Swingfire, a York-class Carrier, the heavy guns of the Nicholas Kerensky and Werewolf are too much for the more fragile Free Worlds League vessels.  Heavy laser and particle cannon blasts shatter the spine of the MS Loyalty and her three support vessels wiping out the Battle Group.

With the Wolves in control of the Keystone system and its valuable factories the naval battles inform both sides of various weaknesses their forces still have which had cost both of them massive amounts resources and thousands of personnel.  The Wolves rely too heavily on their four large Battleships to carry them to victory neglecting their aerospace fighter and DropShip forces.  While the Free Worlds League Battle Groups are simply too small to hold back a dedicated Clan threat and too weak to stand toe-to-toe with the larger Clan vessels.

Border Raid
Varna, Glasgow Commonality
Capellan Confederation
13th August 3116

What was supposed to be a routine border raid on behalf of the Free Worlds League had turned heavily against the Wyld’s Jokers when a particle cannon blast from an unknown BattleMech design had impacted the head of Colonel Adam Wyld’s BattleMech and incinerated him.  Now the unit was under fire from three directions and they were being herded in a direction.  In her customized Ryoken II BattleMech Tassa Kay did not like being herded, she had been born a Wolf, she hunted her prey she did not follow direction.

She had come to the Free Worlds League with a desire to hunt Clan Wolf but Wyld’s Jokers had been sent against the Capellan Confederation with a promise that they would meet Clan Wolf after the “routine” raid.  The difference was when they had arrived on Varna, they’d been met by an unexpected regiment of Capellan troops including an unfamiliar class of light BattleMech.  The BattleMech looked like a slightly enlarged Locust with the back canted leg over a boxy torso.  One arm ended in missile pods while the other had a longer barreled plasma weapon.  The first four Mechs had fallen quickly however they had been replaced with more supported by several vehicles Tassa had noticed, too late as it had turned out, that some of the Mechs carried different weapons configurations with heavier weapons on some and stronger electronic signals on others.  It was a new OmniMech design she hadn’t come across before, not that she expected to know all Mech designs, but now she was more curious firing a double volley of short-range missiles into one of her targets twelve short range missiles launched from the streak launchers and consumed one of the unknown OmniMechs in fire the Mech didn’t weather the fire well and fell in a crumpled heap of broken metal.

Twisting her Mech’s torso she followed a San Ku Chu tracked APC.  Aiming at the APC’s side she kicked into the side of the tank tearing open the armour and crushing the vehicle’s tracks.  She followed up with a pair of medium laser blasts burning the inside of the vehicle incinerating the crew.  “We are going through the middle!”  Tassa called out stepping forwards a Hellspawn BattleMech triggering the left torso particle cannon the man-made lightning blast crossed the short distance in moment slamming into the side of the Mech forcing it backwards as metal and weapons melted under the force of the blast.  She then added a set of short-range missiles into the target causing further explosions all across the medium Mech one of the missiles penetrated the armour causing an ammo explosion within the forty-five-ton BattleMech’s body the arm of the Mech exploded outwards as armour and components flew from Hellspawn.  The Mech’s engines went into a rapid shutdown cycle as the engine failed and tried to preserve itself.

“Jokers on me!”  She said jumping her BattleMech into the air she triggered a particle cannon shot against a Catapult which was holding back the blast washed over the Mech’s left leg before it returned fire with twenty long range missiles.  The sixty-five-ton hunched forward BattleMech was designed to bombard targets with long range missiles launched from its two over shoulder mounted launchers, a flight of missiles flew towards the Ryoken II with several of them slamming into it as the BattleMech came in for a landing.  Not missing a beat Tassa Kay accelerated her Mech into a run and ran at the enemy BattleMech firing both medium lasers and a particle cannon as it went.  She added missiles in as she closed and even though it turned the Ryoken II’s cockpit into a furness she was overjoyed to see the results on the Catapult which laid in a ruin at her Mech’s feet.  Behind her several of the Jokers had broken through Capellan lines and were now helping other break through and escape.

The Wyld’s Jokers had been hurt by the battle and victory was clearly out of the question but Kay had hopefully saved their command which would give them a chance of another battle and another victory elsewhere.  Standing clear of Capellan lines Tassa Kay watched as the Jokers continued to break through the trap that had been sent from them.  Instead of continuing to run from the battle she targeted the Capellan Mechs with her two particle cannons scoring several long-range hits crippling a couple of targets, she was glad to see several of the Jokers who had escaped joined in the counter-attack.  As the last of the Jokers fought their way clear Kay opened a channel to the surviving members of the unit “volley-step counter movement” she said she couldn’t bring herself to say the word withdrawal if there was ever a question about what she had said no-one voiced it instead the entire line of Jokers fired their longest ranged weapons then stepped backwards before firing again.  This movement and fire repeated for nearly twenty minutes before the Capellans wisely choose to withdraw allowing the Jokers to hold the field and recover any fallen pilots before escaping the world.

Tekenotuji (Star Lord-class JumpShip)
Land’s End, Land’s End Prefecture
Military District of Pesht, Draconis Combine
22nd August 3116

The Kokuryu-kai owned Star Lord-class JumpShip Tekenotuji had been turned away from the system of Multan by DCMS commanders despite Sho-sho Kiyochika Kane vouching for the vessel and stating that their DropShips had barely escaped the Clan Lynx advance.  The Lynx forces were less of a concern for the defenders of Multan due to the presence of a squadron of four Nekohono’o Assault Ships each armed with anti-WarShip Kraken Telescopic Capital Missiles.  Kane had been confident when he had seen the ships that his people could help defend this world but the planetary governor and military commanders had agreed that there were was not room for Pusht-i-rud refugees and criminals and the naval forces had kept them at their JumpShip.

From Multan they had jumped again this time to the Prefecture capital Land’s End looking for a more accommodating commander unfortunately they found Clan Lynx had arrived to contest ownership of the system with an Anna Rosse-class Battle-cruiser and a Sovetskii-Soyuz-class Heavy Cruiser shooting down the DCS Sunzunami, a Kirishima II-class Cruiser, over the planet.  “Evacuate the civilians onto this JumpShip and your DropShip.  I will take the infantry in system and assist our forces.”

“You will be wiped out Sho-sho Kane.”

“We are still Draconis Combine warriors, our comrades are on that world, we must assist them.”  He countered as another alarm sounded in the Star Lord’s compact bridge.  “What is that?”

“An emergence signature another ship has arrived at the Zenith point Invader-class… belonging to Clan Lynx.”

“Could they detect us?”  Kane asked despite not having rank over the Kokuryu-kai crewmen they were deferential to him and answered quickly.

“They will within moments they are deploying what looks like three Union-class DropShips all are C-type upgraded versions of the class.”  The crewmen answered naming the Clan upgraded version of the DropShip class.  The crewmen were little more than merchants without a uniform in sight Kane felt strange and out of place.

“Then we have our own problems” Kane said “continue the evacuation of the civilians from my DropShips we will deploy and keep them at bay until this JumpShip can jump clear.”  He said reaching beyond the crewmen triggering the JumpShip’s communication array “this is Kane all civilians are to evacuate DropShips and board the Tekentoji.  There is three Clan Union C-class DropShips deploying from a JumpShip at the Zenith point we must hold them off until the Tekentoji is able to jump clear.  Land’s End is a contested system I will remain on the JumpShip to coordinate our defence.”

Over the next hour civilians and non-essential support personnel evacuated the DropShips while the three Clan Lynx DropShips began a slow burn around the star towards their location.  As they approached the three Nagumo-class DropShips detached and began to approach them while the Rose-class DropShip also detached but remained beside the Star Lord in a defensive position.

As they approached each other both sets of three DropShips unleashed massed waves of long-range missiles supported by lasers and gauss rifles.  The Clan DropShip commanders obviously thought that honour was important with each DropShip targeting a separate vessel while the three Nagumo’s targeted a single Union C.  While that did mean all three of Kane’s DropShips took hits it meant a concentration of fire blew through the nose armour of the leading Union C and exposed its internals to damage.  Explosive decompression's ripped through the vessel and it fell out of the formation as they approached.

To their credit the two remaining Union Cs continued their approach despite what had befallen their comrade hammering the two Nagumos as they accelerated past.  At close range the Nagumos opened up with their close-range armament of short-range missiles and heavy autocannons causing more heavy damage to the two enemy vessels.  Instead of turning to engage the Nagumos as they turned however the two Union Cs continued to burn towards the Tekentoji and its defending Rose.  “Hoxa continue to target board and capture if you can, Kidafore and Kubara turn and assist Vittorio!”  Kane ordered sending one of his three Nagumos after the enemy JumpShip hoping to bring them one extra prize.  “Vittorio hold!”

As the two damaged Union Cs approached the single Rose approached them to contest the assault immediately engaging with its long-range lasers and particle cannons causing heavy damage on one of the approaching Clan Lynx vessels.  “Why no missiles or gauss rifle?”  Kane asked the Kokuryu-kai crewmen who remained silent.  He had expected a full assault from the vessel.  As they closed, he saw the lasers and particle cannons in action again along with multiple close-range lasers and pulse lasers.  The firepower was enough to burn through the second Lynx DropShip knocking it out of the fight but Kane was angry he’d hoped that the Rose could hold the two ships at bay long enough for the Nagumos to close.

“You have no ammunition for the gauss rifles and missiles!”  He said accusing the Kokuryu-Kai commander Shimatani Yulchiro “you played a bluff!”

“Sumimasen Sho-sho Kane we needed something to counter your ships” the older man said as the two Union Cs pounded the Rose as they flew past.

“Prepare for incoming damage!”  Kane ordered watching as his two Nagumos finally opened fire on the two Lynx vessels with long range missiles and lasers targeting the rear of the two ships.  Unlike their first past the two Nagumos targeted a separate vessel looking to cripple both ships engines in response the two Union Cs turned their noses back towards the charging Nagumos.

“They are breaking so they can deploy Mechs!”  One of the crew called out.

“They will not get that chance open bay four, all units are to fire at will!”  Kane ordered further along the hull of the Star Lord a cargo bay opened and Kane’s infantry wearing spacesuits had set up support weapons to target the incoming Union C causing heavy damage to the two Union ships.  The two Union C’s rear weapons returned fire targeting the Star Lord’s cargo bay.  Kane grabbed one of the handrails as the lightly armoured took damage.

“You have doomed us Kane!”  Yulchiro screamed angrily as decompression alarms sounded in the Star Lord’s control room.

“No, I haven’t, I bought us time” Kane said as the two Nagumos opened fire with massed weapons which burned through both remaining armour on both DropShips knocking them out of the fight.  As they did the Lynx JumpShip jumped clear of the system escaping now that the three DropShips had been knocked out.  “This is Kane begin boarding operations on all three DropShips eliminate the crew, capture what you can.”  Kane ordered his infantry DropShips all three Unions would potentially have Clan BattleMechs or Battle Armour which his people could use.  The crew onboard the three ships could still put up a fight but he had nearly a regiment of soldiers to contest control over the ships.

Over the course of the next hour Kane’s troops secured the wreckage of the three Union C-class vessels.  As expected, the surviving crews onboard the vessels put up a fight and took several of his infantry troopers with them but the battles were decided as they began.  On the first Union C which had been knocked out of the fight some of the fire from the Nagumos had blown through the Mechbay and destroyed all fifteen Mechs, their MechWarriors inside their BattleMechs.  The entire ship and the crew were a lost cause with a small number of infantry weapons all that was worth salvaging from the ship.  On the other two ships however, there were far greater prizes several of the weapons on the DropShips themselves were salvageable as were six of the BattleMechs on one of the ships and eight of the BattleMechs from the second ship.  Fourteen Clan BattleMechs it was just a shame Kane had no trained pilots for the Mechs but it was a start.  None of his Nagumos were capable of carrying or deploying BattleMechs but the Rose was at least able to carry them.  Following the performance of the ship in battle however Kane had insisted that an entire company of his infantry were also deployed on the ship essentially giving him full control over all of their ships.  With the Lynx forces taking control over Land’s End, they had no choice but to jump again from Land’s End and look for another safe harbour.

Counter assault
Capellan Confederation/Federated Suns border
27th August 3116

In response for the assault on Ziliang and the worlds around it the Federated Suns launches a near immediate counter attack with multiple mercenary and house commands sent to the region.  Immediately these units reinforce Ziliang and the worlds that are confirmed to remain in Federated Suns however the Capellan March’s intention is to go far beyond that.  On the morning of the 27th three Caliburn-class Battle-cruisers along with dozens of assault and troop carrier JumpShips jump into the systems of Uraven, Ikast and Westogue intending on liberating all three systems with a display of firepower.  The Federated Suns remains powerful despite recent conflicts with House Kurita, and Clans Nova Cat and Snow Raven and has one of the strongest Navies.  The Caliburn is a relatively new design but with no immediate naval threats the Federated Suns sees an opportunity for victory.

Unfortunately for the AFFS the Capellans had been waiting for their counter attacks.  As part of their conquest of the three systems they intentionally took all three HPG stations within minutes of the arrival of a liberation force in the systems a message was sent to Capellan High Command and a counter force was launched.  As the DropShips were launching from their JumpShips in each of the systems a Mandarinn Battle-cruiser and Shoung Bi Shou-class Corvette along with their own assault ships arrive in the system to assault the Federated Suns naval forces.

In both the Ikast system and Westogue the Federated Suns liberation forces including both Caliburn-class WarShips, the FSS George Hasek and FSS Morgan Hasek-Davion, being destroyed by Capellan fire.  The Confederation WarShip Elia’s Promise a Shoung Bi Shou-class vessel is also destroyed in the fighting but without WarShip support the mercenary commands Beowulf Rangers and Ravannion’s Redemption are both shattered in space along with the Federated Suns line regiments the Eleventh Syrtis Fusiliers LCT and the Third St Ives Lancers LCT with a few survivors making their way to the planets in those systems to join resistance movements but for all intents and purposes they are ineffective commands.

The battle in the Uraven system however takes another turn the FSS Invincible, the Sixth Syrtis Fusiliers RCT and Eighth New Avalon Guards RCT turn on the two WarShips in the system with many DropShips all but abandoning all hope of reaching the planet while the naval units are present.  With BattleMechs and Battle Armour dropped directly onto the hull of the CCSS Wu Zetian is rapidly overwhelmed as the Mandarinn-class Battle-cruiser’s weapons are destroyed by units on its very hull.  The supporting Shoung Bi Shou-class vessel is brushed aside by the Invincible as the two “surprise” attack is turned back on them.  With the Sixth Syrtis and Eighth New Avalon heading towards the planet Uraven is quickly returned to Federated Suns control.
« Last Edit: 14 February 2022, 17:05:35 by Dragon Cat »

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1396 on: 16 February 2022, 06:01:54 »
Brutal entry

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1397 on: 18 April 2022, 07:57:11 »
A hugely delayed update

Trial Grounds
Scientific Sector, Andrey
Tukayyid, Independent Clan Territory
9th September 3116

The PHX-HK2 Pheonix Hawk Land-Air-Mech converted into BattleMech mode as it came in for a landing on the fields in front of the testing facility on Andrey.  The scientists had been working for months on a new Land-Air-Mech for use by the Clans.  So far, they had tested many different configurations but they had been unable to get a design to work with an Extra-Light Engine nor with the advanced armours favoured by front-line Clan BattleMechs.  Today’s test of the Pheonix Hawk, an Inner Sphere machine, tested a different technology an advanced type of Extra-Light Gyroscope much like the same technology developed by the Inner Sphere.  Like the inner sphere technology that preceded it the new Clan technology split the gyroscope into two modules locating each in one of the side torsos.

“MechWarrior Avisto, how do you find the new technology?”  Scientist Kojiro asked using a small hand-held radio.

“Good Scientist, the gyro works perfectly well but seems a little more unstable in Mech-mode than others. Quiaff?”

“Affirmative MechWarrior, thank you for your feedback.”  He replied “bring the Mech into the bay, we have another model ready for testing tomorrow.”

“A Clan one I hope” Avisto responded as he moved the Land-Air-Mech towards the Mechbay Avisto was an old warrior by Clan standards in his late forties but he still desired what all MechWarriors desired, the best of technology and to fight in battle.

Peacekeeping Intervention
Disputed Territories, Capellan March
Federated Suns/Capellan Confederation
15th September 3116

Following heavy Capellan Confederation raids against Federated Suns territories and counter attacks by the Federated Suns Protector-General Devlin Stone fears the fighting will spread into his small Kittery Prefecture and chooses to intervene.  In an effort to end the fighting closes to his border Stone deploys Kittery’s First and Second Regimental Brigades along with six WarShips to the Indicass and Hustaing systems.

Both the First, Stone’s Lament, and the Second, Stone’s Liberators, were six regiments in strength with the WarShips supporting them the SLDF troops quickly gain the upper hand against the forces on both worlds securing command of space and the skies over the worlds within hours of their arrival.  On Hustaing the SLDF forces shatter the Twenty-second and Twenty-Third Liao Lancers, the Hustaing and Grand Base Regiments of that brigade, they then force the Federated Suns hired Donnel’s Commandos Mercenary Regiment to power down their weapons.  The mercenary command were informed by the SLDF forces that they would be re-repatriated back to the Federated Suns once both worlds had been secured.  Despite this easy victory the population were not entirely pleased with the heavy presence of SLDF troops on the streets and there were heavy protests for three weeks following their arrival.  Slowly however the population began to realize the the SLDF forces had been ordered to allow them to peacefully protest and that their voices were being heard, something that rarely happened under Capellan rule.  Although he had sent them as “peacekeeping” troops Protector-General Stone kept the forces in place essentially annexing control over Hustaing.  With the WarShips and troops in place and a content population the Capellans had little choice but to accept the SLDF’s rule.
While on Indicass Stone’s Liberators were welcomed exactly like that as liberators by the besieged local militia forces.  The Capellan raiders had resorted to using artillery strikes against civilian areas when the battle had not turned their way.  The Liberators force of heavy BattleMechs quickly ran down the Capellan forces and won control of the battlefield.  As the Liberators had come when the people needed them the SLDF troops were paraded through each large settlement they visited and welcomed as heroes.  Within weeks of their victory Indicass held a referendum and petitioned to join the Kittery Prefecture as a full member of the Star League’s Protectorate Worlds Initiative a move which was completed by the end of 3116.

Landing Procedure
JP-M-774, Periphery
23rd September 3116

Continuing their retreat from the Clan Lynx invasion and reeling from being turned away by the DCMS Kane had led his people into the Periphery.  Their JumpShip Tekenotuji, damaged in the previous encounters, had finally given up in its fight leaving them stranded in a system which had what appeared to be a single habitable planet.  The still functional sensors detected what appeared to be the wreckage of a large JumpShip in orbit around the world and Kane had ordered the DropShips to head into the system hoping that they could salvage parts from the JumpShip or repair it.  At the very least he hoped that the world would be a haven for them to shelter on.

Now they were approaching the planet and it was clear that the JumpShip was a wreck with a very low possibility of repairing it, they could perhaps take parts from the ship but that would have to wait.  “Land us on the planet we can find somewhere to shelter our people.”  Kane ordered “once we have secured out LZ we can send up a team to check on the JumpShip maybe we can salvage something.”  He suggested, none of his people or their Kokuryu-kai questioned his orders.  Since the discovery that their Rose-class DropShip had no ammunition for its primary weapons Shimatani Yulchiro and the others had been quieter than before with their objections.

The four DropShips hit the atmosphere minutes apart with each of the three aerodyne-type Nagumos coming in belly first while the spheroid Rose-class Vittorio entered with its engines facing the atmosphere.  Once in the atmosphere they were treated to a bright world during its day cycle, and found a cold but breathable planet with wildlife detected by the DropShip’s sensors.

“Food for our people to hunt, and plenty of shelter in those caves…” Kane began to suggest before his voice trailed off “what is that?”  He asked suddenly seeing something new on sensors “bring up a visual feed!”  He ordered the crew onboard the DropShip Kidafore as they followed his orders the image appeared on a small screen and Kane had to lean over their shoulders in the compact bridge to see the screen.  “Forget the caves, we will use those ruins.  Direct the Vittorio to find a landing area and find the same for ourselves.”  He said seeing the images on the screen there appeared a large facility with a ruined HPG-styled dish above it.  The facility had clearly been at the centre of a large battle at one point, it looked completely abandoned and while some of the buildings were in a state of collapse others appeared sturdy enough to provide shelter.

He turned to Shimatani Yulchiro “it appears to be some sort of observation station.  My infantry will scout the buildings and secure a perimetre.  Your people are to remain onboard the Vittorio until we give the all clear signal.”

“Our people are trained fighters Sho-sho Kane.”  Yulchiro complained

“I’m sure they are but my people have been trained to shoot those they do not recoignize when in hostile situations.  Until we secure this area this world is a hostile place.  Your people will stay in their DropShip understood?”

“Yes, Commander Kane, it is understood.”

“Good, I must join my people.”  He said finally then he began issuing orders to his infantry battalions.  Two of them would deploy in defence of the DropShips while they were grounded while the other would deploy into the ruins and secure a sufficient amount of shelter for their civilians.

The operation took the better part of a day to secure enough buildings for their people to shelter within in.  It was into the night before the civilians got out of the cramped conditions on the DropShips and into the buildings.  If the day was cold the night was colder while fires were set and barricades were built to shelter the people from the wind it was still colder than comfortable.  Kane ordered them to “tough it out tonight and in the morning, they would look to bring portable generators from the DropShips to try and get the facilities back online.”  One thing his people did establish was that this facility had once been a Stellar Research Facility run by the original Star League Defence Force, it had been abandoned during the First Succession War when the staff based there had realized they had been left behind by the Exodus Fleet.  One of their JumpShips had broken down and been left in orbit.

Pirate Hunting
Kaumberg, Kaumberg Archonette
29th September 3116

Using power taken under the Kaumberg Protocols Archonette Erich Sheridan of Kaumberg declares the Democracy Now movement to be terrorists and pirates and with that designation declares them to be enemy combatants of the Lyran Commonwealth.  No longer will it be a civilian law enforcement matter but a military one.  With that he orders the six Fesnyng Rapid Response Units deployed within the Kaumberg Archonette to begin offensive operations against the movement.  Each of the Fesnyng units were designed to move around a region in response to a threat independently of others and had their own DropShips and JumpShips attached.  All six of the units also had integral intelligence units, infantry and armour should they need it to face any type of adversary.  Within hours of the order all six units had either engaged in raids against suspected Democracy Now elements or were moving station to engage them.  While deploying military forces into built up residential areas was an extreme method of dealing with a threat in Erich Sheridan’s words Democracy Now had shown they were  willing to take extreme measures to resist House Steiner’s rules so House Steiners forces would respond in kind.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1398 on: 18 April 2022, 08:30:11 »
Nice story entry!  WOah...new fix for the LAM's gyros.  Nice.   Will there be a separate entry for the technology?

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #1399 on: 18 April 2022, 12:34:54 »
Can't see it being to much longer before the 'great' houses start to take offence at the protectorate nibbling worlds from them and start pushing back.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1400 on: 18 April 2022, 13:29:55 »
Can't see it being to much longer before the 'great' houses start to take offence at the protectorate nibbling worlds from them and start pushing back.

I thought I added the LAM Gyro but it's been a while I'll have a look at my notes before posting further

Well... the Americans take the 5th? When they don't want to say something I'm a Scot but I'll borrow it and keep zipped :-X

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #1401 on: 18 April 2022, 15:07:19 »
Well... the Americans take the 5th? When they don't want to say something I'm a Scot but I'll borrow it and keep zipped :-X

Tease  :D

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1402 on: 18 April 2022, 15:17:39 »
Tease  :D

Bigger tease my next update will show you where one man's mind is going in regards to that

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #1403 on: 18 April 2022, 15:27:25 »
Bigger tease my next update will show you where one man's mind is going in regards to that

Ooh....

No pressure but hurry up then  ;)

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #1404 on: 20 April 2022, 15:05:05 »
Excellent updates and action as always!
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1405 on: 22 April 2022, 16:26:47 »
Ooh....

No pressure but hurry up then  ;)

You asked so I'll deliver, you like fireworks?  I do :thumbsup: time to set some off in a few places all at once.

When writing this I realized I hadn't posted the Aumaku-class Destroyer so I'll try to sort that.

Khanate Conflict
Spica, Sea Fox claimed system
Federated Suns
2nd October 3116

On the Sea Fox claimed trade world of Spica two Khanates of Clan Sea Fox come into conflict when the Thirty-sixth Cruiser Cluster of the Fox’s Whelps Khanate challenges the elite Diamond Skate of the Deathstrike Khanate.  Initially a disagreement over a trade deal quickly escalates to a fully fledged battle between a Trinary of each of the Khanate units, while this should have been the end of it with the Diamond Skate having more elite warriors and front-line technology over the second-line units of the Thirty-sixth.

Unfortunately for both units Star Colonel Shannon Vewas of the Thirty-sixth calls in a second Trinary to even things up prolonging the conflict.  Word of this breaking of honour quickly spreads and a second Trinary of the Diamond Skate entered the battle on their own initiative and engaged the Thirty-sixth’s reinforcements before they could crush what remains of the Diamond Skate.

With the fighting on the planet escalating quickly things go from bad to worse for the Sea Foxes as rival aerospace fighter pilots from rival WarShips beginning calling out challenges against their opposite numbers from to opposing Khanate.  If calmer heads had prevailed the commanders of the two WarShips would have contacted each other and agreed that enough was enough but they did not and the misery of Clan Sea Fox in the Spica system continued as the WarShip Triad, a Halcyon-class Cruiser, of the Fox’s Whelps Khanate and the Peuo, an Aumaku-class Destroyer, of the Deathstrike Khanate turned on each other.

WarShip battles between single WarShips tend to be short affairs especially when one of the vessels is bigger than the other.  While the Halcyon-class Cruiser is a cruiser in name only at six hundred thousand tons the WarShip has a heavier armament and armour than the lighter Aumaku-class Destroyer and the Peuo is ripped open a mid-ships by the Heavy Naval Gauss Rifle and heavy autocannon armament of the Triad.  While the Triad does attempt to save members of the Peuo’s crew the destroyer itself is a right off and the wreck’s multiple explosions light up the night sky as the Peuo's ammunition reserves ripped the ship apart on Spica below and shock the ground troops into calling a cease fire.

Border Skirmish
Vega District, Rasalhague Dominion   
9th October 3116

Timed almost to perfection forces wearing the colours and flag of District of Dieron invade Konstance, Eltain, Shimosuma and Tsukude.  The Dieron forces strike quickly and efficiently rapidly using aerial dominance to force the Rasalhague Dominion forces on the defensive.  In each case the Dieron forces strike from converted cargo ships and in each case their aerospace fighter pilots first strike is against Rasalhague Dominion barracks facilities using fuel-air explosives to flatten the defensive forces.

The Dieron attacks appear to be intended as raids instead of battles of liberation their aim is to sow chaos and unsettle the populations of the worlds informing them that this is the first of many battles and that Dieron would return to liberate them.  On each of the worlds the District of Dieron forces fall back and disappear almost as quickly as they came having decimated the Rasalhague garrison forces and spread their promise of liberation and that Akira Kurita’s rule will soon return to these worlds.

On Shimosuma the District of Dieron forces, tentatively identified as Forty-second Dieron Regulars, are surprised by the arrival of a second cluster of Rasalhague Dominion forces who block their path of retreat, low on ammunition and beginning to fall due to damage to their machines the Forty-second have no chance of escape.  Instead of allowing their warriors to be captured their converted Mule-class DropShip unleashes a volley of capital missiles against the ground forces position.  At least one of these weapons has a nuclear warhead, the entire Dieron force and 115th Strike Cluster of the Rasalhague Dominion is wiped out in a nuclear fireball.

Retirement ceremony, Medusans WarShip John Jellico (Quixote-class DropShip Tender)
Fenwick, Star League Protectorate
11th October 3116

Hanging in formation with their first Quixote-class vessel the Forrestal the recently renamed John Jellico maintained its position with the other Medusans forces.  The John Jellico had been delivered a month before under the name Wasp but following the passing of the former commander of the Medusans Admiral Sandra Harrington ordered the vessel renamed in his honour.  As it turned out it it was her last command of her unit before her own retirement.  She and Jellico had steered the Medusans to a status shared by an elite few units to her knowledge only five other independent units had true WarShips under their command and now her command had two such vessels.

For years they had trained on how to use their original Quixote-class vessel in coordination with their DropShip forces and they would remain in the Fenwick system for several more years completing their contract before looking for new work.  She’d already made a couple of suggestions to the new Medusan commanders but after today it wasn’t her choice anymore.  She stood in the gravity deck of the John Jellico quietly waiting for a few minutes before the younger Medusan staff member beckoned her through.  She had already officially passed the command baton to her replacement the rest of tonight was a formality the staff member waved her over and Sandra moved through the door into the massive meeting room where already the party had begun and the drink had begun to flow as the Medusans celebrated the retirement of another of their commanders.

Office of the Exarch
Geneva, Europe
Terra, Star League Protectorate
20th October 3116

Entering the bright round room in the Terran High Command Knight Christopher Johnson entered the office of the Exarch for the first time.  He had been a Knight for a very short period of time and felt like he was barely fitting into the role but now the Exarch wished to see him about a new role.  Christopher Johnson was nearly fifty-four years old he had been a MechWarrior serving Terra, and the Star League, for more than thirty years he had grown up under the banner of the Star League Defence Force and was at the service of whomever led Terra to future peace.

From behind an oak wood desk Exarch Victor Steiner-Davion rose from his chair while now well into his eighties the Exarch commanded respect and moved gracefully for a man of his age.  While Victor had been born in the Lyran Commonwealth, been brought up as a warrior prince and won great victories leading the Federated Suns Johnson had not seen the man do anything that would harm Terra or favour either of the realms of his birth and so he was willing to give him his loyalty.

“Knight Johnson, welcome to Geneva, it’s a beautiful day.”  He said waving his arms towards the large glass windows which provided the room with a lot of natural light.

“Yes, it is Exarch” he said using the man’s title, he’d heard that Victor did not like to be addressed as “Sire” despite being entitled to it by birth.  “Thank you for the invitation.”  He said following Victor’s gaze out of the windows.

“I hear the Tenth Knights have been busy on Fomalhaut?”  The Exarch asked looking back towards him Johnson realized the older man intended on keeping him on his toes.

“Yes, Exarch, we have been helping prepare the Fomalhaut Guards for the influx of refugees we expect from the District of Dieron following the recent activities in the Rasalhague Dominion.  There have also been rumblings from across the Lyran border of them potentially taking advantage of the District’s current situation and we do not want that spilling across into our borders.”

“It is… Unfortunate” Victor admitted turning away from him and walking towards the large glass doors Johnson followed at a respectful distance.  Johnson took a moment to take in the Exarch while his height, or lack there of, had often been commented about during Victor’s life the man carried with him something that made you notice.  Today he was dressed in a standard business suite which only carried the addition of a Star League branded cape over his shoulders.  The only hint of his Lyran past was his academy scarf which had been stitched into the hem lining of the cape he wore.  “Tell me, Chris, what do you see?”  He asked beyond the command complex there was a mass of gardens and open space for the better part of a mile before the city of Geneva extended beyond.

“Geneva, my home, the birthplace of humanity” he said thinking about ways to describe the beautiful towers that dotted the skyscape of the city, while Christopher Johnson was not from Geneva Terra would always be his home.

“I see peace” Victor said quietly “peace bought by the power of who has the biggest gun.”  He said glancing over smiling at Johnson seeing the old man smile he saw that there was still plenty going on in his mind.  “The Terran Hegemony, the Star League, ComStar and now the Star League again have kept the peace on Terra because they’ve all had the biggest guns.”  He said “we’ve tried to do what the Hegemony did before us in building up the Protectorate and creating safe spaces for people to grow up in peace.  But we are drawing a lot of attention onto ourselves as our Protectorate worlds grow in size and prosperity.”  He explained

“Because people are tired of war and see the Star League as a means of preventing a slip back towars the Succession Wars.”  Johnson said “sire, with all due respect if the nations you grew up in were allowed the power, we now hold all of our worlds would suffer and heaven forbid the Clans gained that power!”

“The dark secret is Christopher” Victor said with another knowing smile “they all aready have the power they just don’t control the seats we do.”

“But they want them?”

“Of course, they do!”  Victor said laughing loudly it was a deep knowing laugh “for centuries the Succession States have wanted Terra, they always will, so they can claim that they are the inheritors of humanities future.  That’s why the stavag Clans want this damned place!  They want to tear it all down and start again under their own banner because they know better than the rest of us.”

“What can we do?  We have already built up our forces.  The Protectorates, the Star Leagues, they are all standing together holding back the darkness.  We are staying ahead of the nations around us, we must.”

“Yes, we must.”  Victor said calmer now “the Star League Defence Force will fall Knight Johnson.”  He said looking at the younger man who was shocked by the statement “already there are cracks in its foundations, cracks that began with the withdrawal of the Capellan Confederation and have continued to deepen.  One of these days one world too many will break from its parent nation, or the council will make a choice that more Succession Lords do not like and then the Star League will fall.”

“It cannot be that simple, it has stood for fifty-eight years longer than I have been alive!”  He said “all of the current lords were born during its existence.  Many of them owe their realms continued safety to the SLDF’s presence.”

“But they have centuries of ‘freedom’ and ‘independence’” he said emphasizing the two words “while the SLDF has technically taken neither of them, year on year we do bring new worlds into our little Protectorates.”

“Quite often war-torn worlds”

“Still followers of the Succession Lords.” Victor Steiner-Davion said “and there are outside pressures which may influence what happens.  We’ve already seen the troubles Dieron faces?”  Johnson nodded “they’ve brought it upon themselves but the Bears have already struck four worlds sending the defenders reeling by the overwhelming force the Bears are bringing to the fight.  We need to be able to hold that back too.”  He said mentioning the Bears immediate response to the attacks on their Dominion, the Clan’s military wing had already struck the systems of Kaus Borealis, Kaus Australis, Kaus Media and Ascella destroying the defenders who had tried to hold each of them including one of the District of Dieron’s few WarShips which had been shattered by one of Rasalhague’s fearsome Leviathan 2 Battleships.
“Hence the SLDF and the reason it was formed.  All of the nations owe the SLDF” Johnson said repeating himself.  He couldn’t see how the Succession States could survive without the SLDF, or vice versa.

“We’ve built swords and shields to protect our space, Knight Johnson, but we need a set of daggers to protect us as well.”  Victor said “not every weapon works against every enemy.  Not every weapon works the same way in defence.”

“I thought the Knights were along those lines?”  The Knights were not supposed to win wars themselves but work with other units to shore up defences and create some sort of unity in the Protectorate.  “They are a different kind of weapon.”

“They are but they are also in the public eye, we need a nasty unit one that lives in the shadows is part soldier, part spy and if need be they may need to be part saboteur and part assassin.”

“A black ops unit?” Victor nodded “Exarch, we also have those in the SAS and Intelligence Commands.  They are made up of the most elite warriors the SLDF has produced and can do all of those things.”

“For the SLDF, I want a unit that is loyal to two things the Protectorate and its people.  Answerable to one office.”  He said raising his arms “this one!”

“To you.”  Johnson said accusingly

“I’m an old man Knight, I won’t be around much longer.  I don’t want your loyalty, just your obedience and that of your peoples.  Together we can make this Protectorate safer” Victor announced turning towards the windows once more “and protect the peace.”  He said calmly turning back to Johnson “Knight, I hereby name you the Protectorate’s first Shadow Paladin.  And I charge you with recruiting a group of Ghost Knights.”

“Shadow Paladin, Ghost Knights?”  Johnson asked with a small amused smile at the new ranks.

“Exarch, First Prince, Archon, Prince, MechWarrior.”  Victor said listing more ranks all he’d had at one point “they are just titles Paladin Johnson, titles we match our duties to.  We are prisoners to duty you and I” he said seeing Johnson smirk slightly “we both chose to be here.  We both chose to protect this world and those around it.  I may be an off-worlder but this is home now and I am duty bound to protect it.  Do your duty and carry my dagger.”  He challenged the younger man.

“I accept Exarch Steiner-Davion, we will create a force capable of doing anything you need to protect the peace from the shadows.”  Shadow Paladin Christopher Johnson said accepting the position.

Orbital Drop
Marius Tears, Independent World
Periphery
22nd October 3116

Explosions rocked the Cohor’s Morituri’s base on the independent world of Marius Tears as the night was lit up by a surprise attack.  The world was a former world of the Marian Hegemony and when that nation had come to an end it had been cut loose by so many others.  There were some large mining facilities on the world which had been dug by prisoners sent to the Marian Penal Colony on the world.  These prisoners had no choice over what happened on the world its defenders had set themselves up as the new rulers keeping control with the iron fist of a gun.  This had kept them in power and the population subdued until tonight.

With their headquarters on fire the few guards were assaulted by an invading force dropping from the skies around them attacking their defence positions.  On each of the attacking BattleMechs and paratroopers they wore the red coloured inverted chain mail fist of Ward’s Hunters another former command of the Marian Hegemony.  In a rapid surgical strike, the Ward’s Hunters eliminated the entire command structure of the Cohor’s Morituri and force the survivors to surrender.  From there with the masters dead the Ward’s Hunters take control over the penal colony and the mining operations setting themselves up as the new rulers of the backwater world.

Observation post,
Ruins of Stellar Research Facility, JP-M-774
Periphery
30th October 3116

Although the ruins of JP-M-774’s Stellar Research Facility looked like they were ready to crumble at any moment from the outside, in fact while the buildings had suffered battle damage centuries before they were also often dressed to look worse to the naked eye.  While the former Combine troopers who had followed Kane to this place had set up camp on the lowest levels of some of the buildings that they considered to be most stable there were dozens of buildings to explore through including the massive primary building with its ruined Hyper Pulse Generator dish.

At present Kane’s people were making themselves at home and providing their people with shelter they weren’t interested in exploring the remains of the facility.  This gave the other inhabitants based on the world time to set up observation posts around them watching the Combine citizens eek out an existance on the world.

“Four Three to Four One, we have sight on who we believe is their commander.” One of the observers said staring through the scope of a sniper rifle from their spot near the top of the Stellar Observation Post using the ruins to get a height advantage.  There were two men who made up the observation post both dressed in gear that dated back to the first Star League.  “He has shaved his head bald and tidied up his beard.”  He said watching the man who still wore a Combine military uniform but with the addition of a civilian wet weather jacket JP-M-774 was well known for its bad weather during daylight hours and clear skys at night which made it well placed for a scientific base.

“Four One to Four Three, understood.  We have sight of the other side of the settlement, keep up observation status.”  His squad commander replied from his post across from them on the same building technically it meant that both teams could be in trouble if something befell the large building but there was no evidence that the Combine troops had such heavy weaponry beyond the weapons on their grounded DropShips.

“Affirmative, are we all going to die of old age before making contact with them?”

“Unknown Four Three, we don’t make the orders, our Brothers will decide when the time is right.”  The two teams remained in their positions watching the Combine troops from afar, they would make contact when the time was right.
« Last Edit: 22 April 2022, 16:51:58 by Dragon Cat »

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #1406 on: 22 April 2022, 20:48:07 »
the rise of Victor's Shadow Force
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1407 on: 30 April 2022, 17:52:30 »
A November update with 2 additions thanks to marauder648.  One is purely inspired by his Project Zhukov and uses several of the units from it (Sorry if you haven't read... and WHY?) The second part was written by marauder several months ago and has sat in the vault waiting to be used, it's gone though a little revision recently but it's still mostly his so I thank you marauder it was much appreciated.

Planetary Assault
Furillo, Halfway Province
Lyran Commonwealth
1st November 3116

Over Furillo II green coloured DropShips and fighters almost blotted out the sun as much as the cloudy weather as Clan Jade Falcon arrived on the important Lyran manufacturing world.  Higher in orbit WarShips of the Lyran Commonwealth tried to stop the Jade Falcons invading but they also had Jade Falcon WarShips to contend with.

Sitting in his Jade Hawk’s cockpit seventeen-year-old MechWarrior Christian sat waiting for the order to deploy his DropShip had thankfully cleared the Lyran aerospace defences and now they were dropping quickly towards the Defiance Industries plant, their primary target.  Like the majority of the warriors involved in this battle Christian hadn’t faced his first Trial of Possession today would be that for all in his unit the Tenth Jade Eyrie Cluster.  They would follow in the Xi Solahma Cluster which was already engaged with the Third Arcturan Guards RCT.

The light opposite his fifty-five-ton Jade Hawk went green and Christian surged forwards through the open doors and out into the atmosphere of Furillo.  Immediately he triggered the BattleMech’s partial wing built into the Mech’s back the two multi-feathered metal wings raised up behind giving Christian far better control over the fall than a Mech carrying only jump jets.  He turned the BattleMech towards the ground below he fell faster and faster at one hundred metres he cut in the Jade Hawks wings further slowing the fall before the Mech slammed into a landing.  During his training Christian had practiced hover-drop maneuvers but this was his first in action and he was quite happy with how it had gone.

His happiness lasted less than thirty seconds as his Jade Hawk took an autocannon salvo high on the left of its chest.  He looked at who had attacked him and saw a fifty-five ton blue and red painted Uziel BattleMech.  While both Mechs weighed in at the same weight Christian’s BattleMech was built with Clan technology and far superior.  “Well bargained and done!”  Christian responded raising his own Mech’s arm opening fire with both of his own autocannons and then both large lasers.  The explosive rounds of the autocannons both slammed into the enemy Mech while one of lasers burned down across the Uziel’s left leg the other laser missing its target harmlessly.

The Lyran Mechwarrior began closing on him firing its autocannon again at the moving Jade Hawk the explosive rounds went wide missing Christian’s Mech but the pulse laser fire moments before didn’t and the green pulses burned down the Jade Hawk’s left leg.  While Christian had a significant advantage in ranged firepower his Mech was also faster engaging the Myomer Acceleration Signal Circuitry (MASC) built into his Mech the Jade Hawk surged forwards at over one hundred kilometres per hour.  The Uziel pilot continued to fire autocannon and pulse laser shots at his Jade Hawk but Christian ignored the damage returning fire with both of his own autocannon striking the enemy Mech’s torso the fire was enough to throw off a short-range missile volley from the Uziel and the six missiles flew into the air exploding harmlessly away from any target.

Now within range Christian launched his Mech into the air continuing to keep up the autocannon fire.  Return fire from the Uziel caused minor damage against his Mech’s lower torso but Christian didn’t flinch from his target firing both lasers down on his target as the Jade Hawk’s legs struck the Uziel one leg hitting the right torso and the other tearing off the Lyran Mech’s short range missile launcher.  Momentum carried the Jade Hawk forward away from the Uziel as it toppled to the ground Christian fought with all his skill to keep his own fifty-five-ton Mech standing as he ran a few steps beyond the prone Lyran Mech spinning his Mech on the spot he triggered both autocannons directly into the cockpit of the downed Lyran Mech.

Under the sustained weapons fire the Uziel’s cockpit armour failed and crumpled inwards killing the pilot.  “I am Jade Falcon!”  He screamed into the shared communication channel he heard others screaming the same and knew he was now a Clan warrior.  Not wasting time, he spun back towards the Defiance Industries plant seeing a red and black Axman heavy Mech its massive hatchet raised as its autocannon tore open a Jade Falcon SM1 Tank Destroyer.  Raising his arm mounted autocannons he fired both striking the Axman’s torso gaining the pilot’s attention.

Unlike his fight with the Uziel Christian had a different engagement method against the Axman his Mech could run circles around the heavier Mech and that’s exactly what he planned on doing.  He ran across the Mech’s field of fire striking the Axman again with its autocannons.  He triggered the jump jets taking the Mech cleanly over a Lyran Fafnir assault Mech with was engaging in a long-range duel with a green painted Jade Falcon Hellstar.  Not interfering with the battle, he twisted the Jade Hawk’s torso and continued to fire his lasers and autocannons at the Axman which was unable to close on him due to the superior speed of the lighter Jade Hawk.

As the Lyran Axman appeared ready to fall a group of short-range missiles fired by Lyran infantry troops struck his Jade Hawk.  “Stavag!  The Freebirths have broken Zellbrigen!”  He called out but his warned was for nothing as he saw unit’s combining fire up and down the battle line already.  “I will teach you!”  He cursed the infantry troops firing both autocannons down at the troops caught in the open the infantry troopers were shredded by the autocannon sub-munitions as shotgun-like rounds tore thought at least a dozen troopers.  His distraction had allowed the Axman to close and its autocannon roared into action tearing off a large section of the Jade Hawk’s right torso including the partial wing there.  “Stavag!”  He screamed angrily twisting back to his original target striking it with both large lasers the heavy Axman had already been damaged by his concentrated fire before now and struck dead centre, the torso of the Axman was cored by the Jade Hawk’s fire, his second kill.

Christian barely had time to catch his breath before his Mech was carpeted by long range missile fire from a black and red Catapult.  “I killed your Axman, I will kill you!”  He said angrily running his damaged Jade Hawk towards the enemy Mech.  The long-range missiles had mostly done damage to his arms and legs, fortunately none had hit his Mech’s already mangled right torso.

Intending on closing quickly he jumped and ran towards the Catapult the quick movements and changes in direction throwing off the support Mech’s fire.  He fired both autocannons as he ran to keep the heat down and then added in his large lasers as he closed and was surer of good shots.  The Catapult added in medium lasers in the closer ranged combat two struck his Mech’s right torso and suddenly he realized that he had lost control over the right arm, right jump jets and his engine was showing damage.  “I will still kill you!”  He screamed keeping his aim on the Catapult, he was inside the minimum range of the long range missiles but it still had four, no only three, medium lasers active.  He didn’t care as the Jade Hawk was failing around him Christian marched forwards screaming into the communication channel “I AM JADE FALCON!”  As his remaining autocannon and laser burned away at the enemy Mech.  To any outsider the Jade Hawk must have looked like a zombie machine that wouldn’t die as he closed on the Catapult continuing to take hits but march forwards.  The heavier Lyran support Mech suffered from a lack of armour and this was what caused its end as Christian continued to fire and scream at the Catapult the heavy Mech suffered a catastrophic failure in its ammunition storage and suddenly the entire BattleMech was engulfed in an expanding fireball.  “Stavag!  Freebirth!”  Christian muttered as his Mech was impacted by the explosions which were rocking the Catapult.  During the battle he hadn’t realized but one of the medium lasers had struck the cockpit of the Jade Hawk causing a partial collapse of his cockpit part of the BattleMech’s cockpit had struck his neurolhelmet and as the concussive blasts continued to tear apart the Catapult the Jade Hawk fell over almost in sympathy for the fallen enemy BattleMech with Christian having passed out from his injuries.

Three days later Christian woke in a Jade Falcon field hospital as he recovered from a severe concussion.  He sat in bed seeing dozens of warriors his age, little more than children in the eyes of the Inner Sphere, all injured during the fighting.  On his fourth day he was visited by Star Colonel Swayman Mattlov the huge elderly Elemental commander of the Tenth Jade Eyrie Cluster.  He motioned to rise from his position “Neg, Christian, remain where you are.”  The “Old Man” of the cluster said Mattlov was only forty-two years old but he was more than double the age of any of his former cadets turned warriors.  “You did well.  Three BattleMech kills in your first outing.  Enough to be a Star Captain were you fighting Clan opponents but as defeated inner sphere opponents it will be enough to be a Star Commander in future deployments.  Quiaff?”

“Aff, Star Colonel, did we win?”

“Aff, but at great cost we lost four Clusters of the seven we brought to this world and Defiance Industries has been gutted by the room-to-room fighting which our Elementals have been forced to fight.”  He said, it was a victory but a costly one “we destroyed one of the Lyran WarShips and captured another but we lost both heavy cruisers we brought to this system.”

“A costly battle”

“Affirmative, but a victory, rest now our journey towards Terra resumes soon.”  All in all two full Lyran RCTs, four Jade Falcon Clusters and three WarShips had been completely destroyed in the Furillo system.  The Fourth WarShip the Danzig, a Mjolnir-class Battle-cruiser, had been captured but it was crippled and wouldn’t leave the system without significant refurbishment.  Elsewhere the Jade Falcons had also captured the Clotat and Laurelston systems.

Circle of Equals, Bonaventure (Potemkin-class Troop Cruiser)
Alpheratz, Raven Alliance
4th November 3116

After a Snow Raven petition to claim territory on an Outworlds Alliance world is turned down by civilian governments the Clan civilian, manufacturing and scientific populations who are largely confined to the newer colonies on the outer edges of the nation’s space, to the Clan’s many Potemkin-class Troop Cruisers, which had become little more than massive cities, or to floating enclaves built on certain worlds become restless.  As far as they are concerned the Clan has made the periphery nation a force to be reckoned with and that it should not be begging for scraps of territory on the developed Outworlds Alliance worlds.

In an effort to quell the growing tensions Khan Vir Sukhanov spends the month travelling to each of the Clan’s four Potemkin-class vessels.  On each ship he speaks to communities of Snow Ravens onboard the WarShips and attached DropShips and explained that he was doing everything in his power to expand Raven holdings in the Outworlds Alliance but their population was still tiny compared to those in the nation and compromises had to be made.  Unfortunately, his words are not enough on the WarShip Bontaventure while he was speaking a hulking ex-warrior Chara Cooper challenged the Khan to a Circle of Equals.  Chara Cooper carried a Bloodname from his time as aerospace pilot ace.  During his final battle he’d been shot down fighting Clan Nova Cat and lost both his right arm and leg in the crash.  While he had been fitted with a cybernetic replacement leg and an arm, he had been unable to continue fighting and been relegated to the Scientific Caste.  Now he stated he was challenging the Khan as was his Bloodnamed right stating he had failed their Clan and a new leader with new ideas was needed and while the challenger was not that man, he thought a change was needed with a jeering crowd at his back Sukhanov agreed to the fight.

The two agreed to fight unarmed and unaugmented by armour and space for the Circle was cleared in one of the Bontaventure’s cargo bays and witnesses gathered from the WarShip’s crew and its attached DropShips.  In a drawn-out battle Sukhanov successfully broke two of the man’s ribs and one arm but a devastating strike from Cooper’s replacement leg knocks the wind out of Sukhanov shattering several ribs and in a fluid motion he snaps the Khan’s neck.
Following the shocking victory many onboard the Bonaventure call for Chara Cooper to take his rightful place as the new Khan he refused stating the Khan needed to be someone capable of fighting for his Clan and he was no longer that man.  Instead, a Clan Council was to be called at the Snow Raven capital enclave on Alpheratz and it took place at the end of November.  Because Chara Cooper had been victorious and he still held his Bloodname he was invited and immediately refused the position before leaving the council accepting that because he was not a warrior, he deserved no vote.

With no Khan and no front runner saKhan Adam Howe attempted to take control over the Clan but was challenged immediately and killed in a Circle of Equals.  The death of the Khan and then saKhan of Clan Snow Raven leaves a power vacuum at the top of the Clan which lasts well into December as various Bloodhouses attempt to place one of their leading warriors in a leadership position.

At the end of December Galaxy Commander Porter McKenna finally filled the position of Khan after winning the vote of the Bloodnamed Council.  As a MechWarrior by profession and knows that he will find holding the position difficult with so many aerospace and naval warriors at his back.  To ease their fears, he nominated Star Admiral Lydia Sukhanov the commander of the Montbatton WarShip Star to be his saKhan intending on ensuring a balance remained at the top of the Clan.

In an effort to appease the Clan populations and keep the Snow Ravens on their nation’s side President Rodger Orton, the civilian leader of the Raven Alliance, informs new Khan Porter McKenna that he was personally guaranteed several land grants to the Ravens on developed worlds for the Clan’s sole use allowing hundreds of civilians to set foot on Raven Alliance soil.

Weapons development
Csesztreg, Hell’s Horses OZ
Clan Occupation Zones
17th November 3116

The Snow Raven Clan had not been the only Clan to suffer from civilian unrest however unlike the Snow Ravens Clan Hell’s Horses were suffering troubles from their subjugated populations.  Unlike other Clans like the Ghost Bears, Snow Ravens, Sea Foxes and Nova Cats the Horses had maintained a strong leash on their populations reminding them that the Clan was on top and they were the lower castes.  This hard-line approach had worked for the Jade Falcons and Wolves but with the Horses it was beginning to cause problems riots were common across the OZ and in some places things had escalated to terrorist cells popping up and striking at Clan positions with everything from improvised weapons such as Molotov cocktails to military equipment, which had either been stolen from the Clan, recovered from hidden caches or sneaked onto the worlds by Inner Sphere powers looking to cause trouble.

Not wanting to use front-line equipment against these groups and in an effort to counter this growing troubles Clan Hell’s Horses first introduce a new Battle Armour suite known as the Demios.  The Demios is half as large as a standard Elemental suit and is designed with anti-infantry and scouting operations in mind with an extended jump range over the Elemental and multiple standard and support anti-infantry weapons the suit proves deadly in the first few weeks of deployment with the Hell’s Horses new Thunderflame Clusters however they still need heavier armour or Mech forces to engage some enemies leading to further developments.

While the Horses had already been planning on introducing several new vehicles to their Touman they chose to first test these vehicles by deploying entire stars of their new Durga VTOL, a twenty-five ton VTOL with several pulse lasers and a long range missile array, the Eris APC, a forty-ton hovercraft with several support anti-infantry weapons and a capacity to transport five tons of battle armoured infantry soldiers, and Nike IFVs, a tracked fifty-ton Infantry Fighting Vehicle which carried an autocannon and missile launcher.   In an effort to test their new vehicles and battle armour they a minimum of eight battle armour stars and two stars each of the new vehicles are deployed in each cluster and their impact is immediate with multiple cells of would-be terrorists wiped out during their inception.  Arguments could be made that several of these people were yet to commit acts against the Clan but the Horses were more content that the peace was being held, even if it was at the end of a gun.  By the end of 3116 nine Thunderflame Clusters had been formed with several attached to the various other Hell’s Horses Galaxies.

Battlefield
Shimosuwa, Vega District
Rasalhague Dominion
22nd November 3116

The conflict which had begun with the District of Dieron’s assault on the Rasalhague Dominion was going well with Moore, Lambrecht and Kuzuu being the most recent systems to fall to the Ghost Bears assaults with heavy forces also assaulting the District’s defences on Alya.

Back in the Rasalhague Dominion however the investigation into what had happened during the District’s assaults was just beginning Point Commander Durham moved across the battlefield on Shimosuwa in his Constable Power Armour (Light) suit along with his Watch team investigating the radioactive battlefield.  While the Ghost Bear warriors were happy to vent their fury and frustrations on the District of Dieron the Watch had other ideas and wanted to answers.

“Investigator Durham!”  One of his warriors, Taro, called out his grey painted Constable suit was bent over a Hitotsume Kozo BattleMech, one that had caught Durham’s attention because of its heavy Draconis Combine design.

“It’s Point Commander” Durham muttered to himself, he had won the rank in combat but he was an old man and the Watch did not see battles on a regular basis “what is it Taro?”  He asked keying the radio.

“I have found something; do you want to see?”

“Neg, Taro, continue your investigation” he said lifting part of a broken Rasalhague Dominion BattleMech “find all the facts then present your story to me in full, Quiaff?”

“Aff, Investigator.”  The man replied Durham swore to himself as the radioactive winds blew sand against his Mech.  The word of Shimosuwa had suffered this greatly from this attack, the first nuclear attack since the First and Second Succession War, but with Clan science they had hopes of cleaning up the radioactive materials and fallout completely.  The Ghost Bear attacks against the District of Dieron was allowing the older warriors to die facing an enemy’s guns and was allowing many of its youngest warriors to face a real enemy.  The Watch would do its duty behind the scenes and once they had found the complete story here the Clan could continue its war with the civilians fully aware of their reasons, as if the nuclear fireball hadn’t been enough.  Sand blew against Durham’s Constable suit as he methodically moved from one piece of wreckage to the next.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1408 on: 30 April 2022, 17:52:40 »
Meeting Hall, Gravity Deck Four
CDS Titanic (Sea Fox-class ArcShip), Degholan
Clan Occupation Zone
30th November 3116

At just shy of two million tons the CDS Titanic lived up to her name.  What had once been a Potemkin-class Troop Cruiser was now a mobile home, factory and habitat for thousands of Clan Sea Fox personnel.  Her outer hull bulged where DropShips had been permanently attached to her hull, whilst hydroponic bays dotted her flanks and spine no longer just a Troop Cruiser the Titanic like many of her sister-ships were classed by the Sea Foxes as something new, an ArcShip, with the Titanic forming the centre of power for the Bloodscent Khanate.  The massive ship sat at the centre of a fleet of DropShips and fighters, patrolling round the space going leviathan like small fish following a whale.  But this titan was not alone, for another leviathan of the black swam alongside her, the CSF Terror of the Deep, a Nightlord II-class Battleship, and flagship of the Faulk Khanate and of Clan Sea Fox overall.  Neither ship, nor any of the other JumpShips in the system, had a lot to worry about Degholan was a system fully controlled by the Clan and today was an important day.

The Terror’s passengers and many others from the JumpShips had already been sent across to the Titanic and the two giants now cruised a few hundred meters apart as the conference started.  Every Khanate had sent representatives, and it was here that financial futures and the future of their Clan would be discussed, details on profitable markets, areas of growth and shrinkage and areas to be exploited as well as new designs showcased.  Following the recent fighting in the Spica system between two Khanates decisions had been made by the two Khans and the ovKhans that helped them.
As the previous presentation about a planned assault transport VTOL came to an end Sub-Chief Scientist Katya stepped up and smiled.  Around her she could see hundreds of other Sea Fox personnel, Merchants, Sub-Factors, Scientists of all ranks as well as Warrior-Merchants, those bold profit and market seekers who would travel across the Sphere with minimal support seeking smaller but none the less profitable markets with nothing but their own skill and acumen to support them.

A light on the big holo-projector came on and that indicated that it was her time to start speaking.  She’d won the right to give this presentation after winning a Trial where she and her competitor had been tasked with ‘fixing’ the Great Depression or at least lessening its impact.  Their papers, reviewed by the Merchant Factor of the Bloodscent Khanate himself saw her declared the winner.  So, taking a deep breath Katya nodded and began.

“My fellow Clansmen, I give to you today our workings from the last nine months.  Whilst other Clans and the Spheroid houses are now producing greater numbers of Assault DropShips or Pocket WarShips to complement their WarShip fleets it is a market we have yet to move into.  And it appears that there is a market for such vessels.  The Dominion was looking at producing their own design, even before losing the WarShip Ursla Major in the Alya system, but that is caught in a bureaucratic snarl-up with the Clan unable to direct its civilian castes with enough force.”  She said around the room there was a small rumble of laughter from the warrior castes.  Many saw the Sea Foxes as too lenient with their Clan but the Rasalhague Dominion was even more lax with its control.  “The Wolves have produced the the Isegrim but lack the facilities to produce them at a useful rate and instead of building their infrastructure they are wasting their Clan’s resources on battering the Protectorate’s borders.”  She said pausing for a moment “the Wolves are an opening we should exploit.  Their one shipyard is overworked in the Tamarind system and we can profit from that.”  She said glancing to the side she saw ovKhan Blake Hawker who was willing her to move on with the presentation instead of giving the other Khanates advice. “The Hells Horses also have a want for an assault ship that is not a decades old Noruff.  And the Ebon Guard would also desire an Assault vessel for their own uses in the defence of Tukkayid.  There is also the potential to sell to the Inner Sphere, the Grand Council of course still having a say in what we can trade with our Spheroid contacts.”

There were soft chuckles round the large chamber, the Sharks sold to whom they wanted and only paid polite lip service to the edicts on trade between the Clans and Houses. Many of the warrior caste believed that the only influence any of the other Clans should have in the Sea Foxes business was should be in a Trial of Possession.

“Ladies and gentlemen, I give you our answer to this need the Nagasawa class Assault Dropship.”  She said continuing the large central 3D holo-projector sprang to life, showing a perfectly clear image of a long, sleek and aggressive looking vessel.  Smaller windows on the projector opened up displaying her statistics and predicted capabilities.

“Basing our design on the original Noruff, the Nagasawa is half again as large, massing three thousand tons and like the Noruff we chose to make her a fast and agile craft, with her engines producing twice the thrust of a Isegrim class vessel at full burn.”  She explained as the display showed the vessel turn slowly for all to see.  From  the initial reactions to the ship Katya thought she heard several approving comments about the ship.

“Unlike the Isegrim though we chose not to mount any sub-capital weaponry, but chose a mixture of conventional ballistic and energy weapons.  A quintet of our newest class-5 Rotary Autocannon and a quintet of Extended Range Particle cannons form the vessels primary punch whilst Extended range large lasers, twenty-tube long range missile launchers and large pulse lasers provide all round firepower.  Each of the missile launchers is fitted with the latest Artemis-V tracking system whilst fifteen laser anti-missile systems provide the defences she needs.”

“This weapons fit was chosen because honestly, if she was armed with sub-capital weaponry, she would be under-gunned.  There is only so much you can fit on three thousand tons after all.”  There were several approving chuckles from the audience.  “Each of the weapons is in its own cradle which will allow them to be fully modular, and whilst not an Omni-vessel, our testing has shown that this makes the weapons easy to maintain and refit if needed.”

More data sprang up on the holo-display including a short video, played at several times the normal speed, of Technicians working on a full-scale mock-up of a RAC-5 mounting, with the weapon being dismounted and replaced in ten minutes.  The view then went to a 3D cutaway of the interior of the vessel.  Katya moved round to the side; a laser pointed highlighting sections of the ships hull which peeled back to reveal the interior layout.

“Using a wide range of input and experience as well as the latest in computer modelling the interior is laid out to be efficient and comfortable.  And most importantly the vessel is sturdy it is armoured with ninety tons of Ferro-Aluminum armour the Nagasawa will offer a level of protection that will allow it to a hit from even a capital scale weapon and survive something that cannot be claimed by ships of this size and many far larger vessels.  Combined with the ship's speed which allows them to outrun large aerospace fighters and many medium sized ones they have the ability to move into the optimal position to bring its firepower to bare whilst taking the worst that an aggressor can throw back.”

On the holo a simulated battle took place with a Nagasawa engaged against Spheroid fighters as well as a DropShip.  The simulation showed the Nagasawa’s strengths, outmaneuvering a larger Spheroid Assault DropShip and crippling its engines before chasing down medium fighters that simply could not outrun it.  Watching it Katya smiled seeing the battle and being born an aerospace fighter pilot she could see how the Nagasawa could be outmaneuvered but that wasn’t to happen today those that had programmed the simulation had made sure of that.

“With their superior layout the Nagasawa promises to be easy to maintain and whilst not atmospheric capable it is capable of deep space patrols and escorting larger vessels.”  The new projection showed several Nagasawas in formation with the Terror of the Deep. “The hull is also designed to be manufactured in sections, with each section fitting like a jigsaw piece. This allows for them to be constructed at smaller facilities and at greater speed than a traditionally keel or spine-built DropShip.”  She explained again now the holo-projector showed several parts of the DropShip being connected together inside the pressurized cargo bay onboard an ArcShip.  “This would also allow for the sections to be built and sold as needed, creating a market for spare parts or indeed, spare sections.  Each of these sections when broken down will measure thirty meters in length and with this, you could fit a fully broken down Nagasawa in the cargo bay of a Mule class transport.  A competent work crew could assemble the hull within a matter of weeks, but of course the fitting out, installation of electronics and the vital systems would still take months, this can shave a significant amount of time from construction and allows the Engineers to work in a safe and pressurized environment.”

“Should construction be approved we believe that the first Star of Nagasawas can be ready within four months and that would be using the production facilities we have aboard the Titanic.  A fixed facility could produce them at a greater rate.  And we do need these vessels.”  She stressed to the gathered warriors “whilst each fleet has its defence capabilities, there are well founded concerns about what might happen if we were turned upon by any of the Great Houses or other Clans.”  She said she had been ordered to avoid mentioning the recent fighting between factions of her own Clan in the Spica system, this presentation wasn’t about shaming part of their own Clan. “Whilst the other Clans simply will not turn on us enmasse, because they need us, the House Lords are far fickler.”

A low murmur went round the chamber, the words were true, whilst the ArcShips were massive and well armed, they were not battleships, and their tactical doctrine called for them to simply jump away if threatened, using DropShips and fighters as a sacrificial screen.  While most ArcShips had an escorting WarShip with them none of the Clan’s vessels other than the Terror of the Deep could fight a major slugging match with the majority of the Sea Fox vessels falling into the destroyer or cruiser categories.  Even the Terror of the Deep while it could hold its own in a major battle, and she was being outclassed by the latest vessels to be produced by the Clans and the Inner Sphere.  There were calls by the Warriors to trade for or obtain in battle an Arbitration class vessel to help secure the Clans assets.

The holo now displayed a ‘typical’ ArcShip surrounded by a swarm of Nagasawas much like the Terror of the Deep had been, their bright engine flares driving back an off screen darkness as the symbol changed to that of the Diamond Shark’s insignia.  Katya smiled as she felt she’d done well this day and it would be noted in her codex and if production was approved, promotion, prestige and profit all beckoned.

“Now moving on to a lighter subject, we feel that there is another market for us to exploit, and for this we must call upon one of our most potent forces.” Katya said, she knew about the next presentation and decided to ‘big it up’ somewhat as she stepped back.  An eager and young-looking Merchant stepped up as the Scientist took her seat, smiling at the applause she received as well as notifications on her console about personal meetings regarding the design.

“I wish to thank Scientist Katya for yielding the floor and I apologies for the tonal shift.  But there is a market that we have not thought to swim, one that helps all of the Clans of Kerensky, and stands to bring great profit at minimal cost and with maximum impact.”

The lights dimmed and a rather happy piece of music started playing before the holo sprang to life projecting yellow highlighted orange words that read ‘The New Adventures of Clan Spaniel!’ This then changed to ‘Uhu the Peregrine!’  Around the hall there was a collected low laughter seeing their Clan was expanding into new less natural environments.  Discussions would be taken away from the main presentation halls regarding the relationships between the Khanates but nothing concrete would be agreed today instead the traders would have their day and the Clan would look towards a brighter future and away from their troubles.

Shadow_Wraith

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1409 on: 30 April 2022, 23:51:05 »
Nice story update!  I like the details on how they will build the new dropships

Register