Author Topic: Battletech Lance Commander: Take 2  (Read 1407 times)

Errant Jones

• Recruit
Battletech Lance Commander: Take 2
« on: 19 March 2019, 01:04:54 »
As I can't seem to access my old account, let's just restart my old Lance Commander project with a new topic. As a reminder, this is a rules variation that sits between Alpha Strike and full-on Total Warfare + extras rules. That said, if you don't believe that there's room to adjust the TW rules, or that changing tables from 2d6 to 1d6 is a positive feature, this might not be the thread for you. But feel free to post anyway. I'll take any feedback, even if it's just "ugh, dislike".

Hit Locations
I'm gonna put this in code blocks so it's easier to parse.
Code: [Select]
Hit Locations
      2/ \6
      3\_/5

Hit Location Tables
Front/Rear (1,4)
1   Center Torso
2   Right Arm
3   Left Arm
4   Center Torso
5   Right Leg
6   Left Leg

Left Side (2,3)
1   Left Torso
2   Left Arm
3   Left Leg
4   Center Torso
5   Left Torso
6   Left Arm

Right Side (5,6)
1   Right Torso
2   Right Arm
3   Right Leg
4   Center Torso
5   Right Torso
6   Right Arm

So it's Front/Rear, and then the two side locations. You can hit the Center Torso from all sides, but to be honest I'm not sold on having the legs hit only one per table. And the order might need to be adjusted. It'll need another pass, I'm sure.

This drops the 2d6 locations down to a single d6 roll, which should be easier to read at the table and assign damage. Notice also there's no through-armor crit. That's taken care of in the crit section, so don't worry too much about it. Same with head hits.

Cluster Hits
Time for another code block!
Cluster Hits

2   4   5   6   10  15  20
   1    1   2   2   3   3   5   7   
   2    1   2   2   4   5   7   9 
   3    1   3   3   4   6   9   11   
   4    2   3   4   5   7   11  15   
   5    2   4   4   5   9   13  18   
   6    2   4   5   6   10  15  20     

SRMs are a location roll per missile, LRMs are 5 point clusters; LBX AC  2 & 5 = 1 point clusters, 10 & 20, 5 point clusters. Either roll 1d6 per location, or roll 1 location and count up from there.

Wait, what's that mean? If you roll a 5 for the LRM20, 18 missiles hit in 4 clusters, 3 5 point and 1 3 point. Roll 1d6 for location (6) and then count up from there, looping back to 1 when you get to 6. In this case, from the front, you'd hit 6-left leg, 1-Center Torso, and 2-Right Arm for 5 points each, and 3-Left Arm for 3 points).

It's clean-ish, an easy to remember rule, and doesn't interact as weirdly as it would on the 2d6 table with the head location and crit to the center torso.

Next time:
Crit tables and two weapon tweaks!

Errant Jones

• Recruit
Re: Battletech Lance Commander: Take 2
« Reply #1 on: 19 March 2019, 01:50:07 »
Crit Tables

OK, so we merge two things right away; the 2d6 roll to see if you crit/how many times you crit, and the individual crit locations for each 'Mech. The game is already pretty comic on rolling dice (initiative) to see when you roll dice (to hit) to see if you roll dice (location) to see if you roll dice (crit confirmation) to see if you roll dice (critical locations). And that's not counting rolling dice for clusters, or your opponent rolling dice for a PSR after taking damage, or overheating, or whatever else. There's room to trim the fat here*.

And you know, here's a little rant about the box of doom; I don't want to play travel Yahtzee with boxed dice, and I haven't wanted to play Trouble with the Pop-O-Matic bubble in decades. If the solution to "that's a lot of dice to roll" is "play dice maracas" I'm going to look at reducing the number of dice rolls. Hence the cut down cluster rolls and the combined crit tables below.

Torso Crit

roll        effect
2-7         no Crit         
8           weapon/equipment hit (disabled)
9           Engine hit +5 heat cumulative (+6 light/+8 XL) [] [] []
10          gyro hit [] []
11          Ammo Hit
12          Head hit (roll head d6 crit chart; if second head hit, unit destroyed)

Arm Crit

roll        effect
2-7         no Crit
8           weapon/equipment hit (disabled)
9           Actuator hit (+1/+2/+4 to hit) [] [] []
10          weapon/equipment hit (disabled)
11          Ammo hit
12          limb inoperable - cannot fire weapons mounted on arm
            (if rolled a second time, limb blown off)     

Leg Crit

roll        effect
2-7         no Crit
8           Actuator hit (-1 mp per hit, +1 PSR)
9           Equipment/Jump Jet Hit
10          Actuator hit (half speed, +2 PSR)
11          +2 heat/turn [] []
12          limb inoperable  - cannot sprint or jump
            (if rolled a second time, limb blown off) 

Since we combined three locations into one table (torso) I've added a little extra kick to getting an engine hit if you have a Light or XL engine. And those numbers could probably be revised upward, honestly.

I only have three boxes for Actuator hits on the Arm table, but there should be 6, 3 for each arm. If you roll Weapon/Equipment hit, you'd mark off the weapon or piece of equipment taking up the most critical space in that location, and work your way down. The idea is, I could print out or copy a page from a TRO and use that as a 'Mech sheet in a pinch. All the data I need is there.

Head hits are subsumed into Torso crits. And I just realized that I didn't type up the Head crit location chart, but that's OK. We can copy the one on the crit location chart, or change head hits to be 1 pilot hit, +1 to hit from Fire Control, or Damaged Circuits for all special equipment (so no more ECM, TAG, MASC, whatever). Two head hits will kill a 'Mech, though. Adjust that to taste.

Note: We always stage down crits. That is, if you roll an 8 on the Arm table (weapon hit) and there's no weapon in that arm (like the Centurion, for example), then you stage down to "No Crit". If you're a monster, you can stage up the crits, moving from 8 to 9, but do you really want to increase the chances of blowing a limb off for 90% of all 'Mechs, who don't carry ammo in their arms?

Movement
Use Alpha Strike movement and TMM determination, with adjustments. You can walk for 0 modifier to hit, Jump for an extra +2 TMM but eat a +2 modifier for your own attacks (and extra heat equal to your maximum jump, regardless of how far you jumped), or run for an extra +1 TMM, +1 heat and you can't fire this turn.

Initiative
Use HBS initiative (Lights, Mediums, Heavies, Assaults in that order, move and fire, alternate sides, reserve if you want).

Autocannons
Oh, you can't have a list of changes to Battletech without adding in some new AC rules, right? These are easy, though. Cross out standard autocannons. LBX and Ultra Autocannons now use the tonnage, crit space, heat, ammo per ton and range of the IS standard autocannons by class. Clan ACs stay untouched.

Ultra Autocannons
Ultras can fire twice in a turn, or can be fired in Ultra mode. You still use two shots, and generate two heat, but you only do 50% more damage (ie, the Aerospace damage for an Ultra autocannon). However, that does get applied to 1 location, so if you absolutely need to put 30 points into 1 spot, an UAC/20 firing in Ultra mode is your best bet. Rolling a 2 when double-tapping or firing in Ultra mode will jam the autocannon, but it can be cleared. Jamming an autocannon a second time before it sees a repair bay will fuse the fire control circuits, leaving you with a very expensive lead weight.

Medium Lasers
Whaaa-what? Not my medium lasers! Errant Jones, you fool!

Medium lasers are 4 heat, 4 damage. Still a great weapon, but not the uber-weapon of old.

The Shoulders of Giants
I've cribbed a lot of these rules from other posters' ideas, namely abou and Fear Factory in their Battletech 2.0 thread, Scotty's thoughts on simplifying the crit tables, and Xotl's Missile spreadsheet for reducing the cluster rolls to d6. Thanks guys!

*Yes, one person's fat is another person's meat. If you like all the dice rolling in standard Battletech, keep on truckin'. I'm not out to change your table.
« Last Edit: 19 March 2019, 13:13:07 by Errant Jones »

Errant Jones

• Recruit
« Reply #2 on: 19 March 2019, 02:15:21 »
Whoops, forgot two things.

1. If you beat your to hit number by 3 or more, that’s a through-armor crit. Which means if you need 10s or better, you shouldn’t be hoping for a Golden BB.

2. Since head hits aren’t part of the location table, you can add the armor and structure for the head to the Center Torso (or Center Torso Rear, really). But if you want to be able to hit the head outside of a chance on a crit table, there’s a quick fix. And I know I got this idea from someone on the forums, I just can’t find the post. I’ll update this when I find it.

The Fix: if you roll Boxcars on the to hit roll, and get a location of Center Torso, don’t roll a crit, but apply the damage to the Head location on the ‘Mech. Replace Head crit on the Torso crit table with a combined Engine/gyro hit.

There!  Keeps head hits rare, but still delivers that rush at times.

Errant Jones

• Recruit
« Reply #3 on: 19 March 2019, 11:51:42 »
A revision that loses some granularity but drops location to 1 d6 table.

Hit Locations
      2/ \6
      3\_/5

Hit Location Tables

1   Center Torso
2   Right Arm
3   Left Arm
4   Center Torso (1,4) Left Torso (2,3) Right Torso (5,6)
5   Right Leg
6   Left Leg

With this table, you hit the side torsos on the front if you roll a 4 and are attacking from hex side 2 or 6, and hit the rear side torsos attacking from 3 or 5. I'm leaving the Center Torso location at 1 alone, because you should always be able to hit the center torso.

And yes, you can hit the right arm from the left side. It's a 3D world, after all. If you're coming up behind and to the left of a 10 meter tall war machine who is raining hellfire and destruction at other targets, it's not presenting a static profile. You can see part of the right leg, the right shoulder, all sorts of targets.

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #4 on: 19 March 2019, 12:38:37 »
This is interesting.

I have one question: Are you going to provide unit sheets/cards at some point?

And, I hope you have plans for vehicles and infantry.

Finally, do you think pip-marking also slows down BT play, and have you considered a damage-scale change?

It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

Errant Jones

• Recruit
« Reply #5 on: 19 March 2019, 13:12:42 »
This is interesting.

I have one question: Are you going to provide unit sheets/cards at some point?

And, I hope you have plans for vehicles and infantry.

Finally, do you think pip-marking also slows down BT play, and have you considered a damage-scale change?

Looking at the last part first, I think pip marking is a bit slow. It also screams "THIS IS BATTLETECH" to my nostalgia-brain, so it's hard for me to kill it. Honestly, though, we could just have the Mech outline and a box for Armor Value and Current Value and update that like HP for a D&D character. For the scaling, I'd probably just leave the damage/armor scale where it is, or cut armor and structure values in half, and leave the weapons where they are. That'd be faster!

I have plans for ground vehicles (well, and VTOLs) and battle armor.  Part of me just really hates the fiddliness of standard infantry. They serve no purpose on a 31st/32nd century battlefield, in my eyes. Either armor up or get out. But I'll come up with something down the road, because for all that I do think a solider with a laser rifle riding a Branth is awesome scifi imagery.

As for sheets or unit cards, yes I want to produce some, but my graphic design skills will need a big boost to make anything of quality. I wasn't joking when I said you should be able to play Battletech using a photocopy of a TRO page. But I think I could make something that puts two Mechs or 4 vehicles or 4 squads of BA on a page, with a few of the relevant tables. And doing that goes back to getting rid of the pips on the sheet.

Thanks for the comments!

Errant Jones

• Recruit
« Reply #6 on: 19 March 2019, 17:43:38 »
I've been thinking about the idea that the optimal strategy in Battletech is to have all your forces burn down a single target, then switch to the next one and so on. Using the HBS initiative system just reinforces that behavior. It's arguably effective, and incredibly boring. Is there some inherent excitement I'm missing in this? Am I supposed to jump for joy when I guess exactly right how much pewpew and dakka I needed to bring down a target, with no wasted shots going into overkill?

Chaining on that, I've been reading Robert Massie's Castles of Steel, detailing naval conflicts in World War I. Not engaging an enemy ship, leaving a well trained gun crew undisturbed from incoming fire, was a deadly mistake. Could something like that be applied to Battletech? Possibly, but it's an extra rule, and an extra modifier, so I'm not sure if I want to implement it.

You could go the stick route, a unit fired upon suffers +1 to all their attack TNs, or the carrot route, a unit who hasn't been fired upon gets a -1. I'm not super sold on either idea, so it could be I'm just looking for a problem to solve.

Register