Author Topic: Card-based opponent behaviour for single-player tabletop  (Read 673 times)

acksed

• Master Sergeant
Picture the scene.

You have just bought A Game Of Armored Combat but you have no-one to play against. There's MegaMek, but organising an online game is almost as tricky, you have to convince other people to use a piece of Java software for a new wargame, finding the instructions for a single-player session of MegaMek is... not simple and it's not quite the same as using your new figures and mat and physical dice.

Playing solo is an option if you have the discipline to keep your characters separate and pretend you don't know what's coming next, because you're both sides.

For everyone else (i.e. me) you need a bit of structure. A bit of randomness. A way to roleplay that the opponent is in fact an opposing Mechwarrior.

I propose: cards. Specifically, three decks of actions, and one for selecting your opponent, with you supplying the brains:

Defensive - a list of typical defensive actions ("Fall back", "Get behind cover", "Shoot from long range"...)
Neutral - a list of neutral, tactical positioning actions to create an advantage ("Circle round", "Spot for missiles", "Shoot from high ground"...)
Aggressive - aggressive actions that press the attack ("Move into short range", "Jump behind largest BattleMech", "Take out closest"...)

Commander - this is where you draw your opponent. I imagine it could be 5 from each faction, each card showing a picture of the commander, a short MRB blurb and a morale number. Then a list of behaviours, chosen by a D6 roll e.g. one particular Kuritan commander draws from Neutral on a 2 or 4 roll, and draws from Aggressive on a 1, 3, 5 or 6. Another Davion commander would have two Defensive, one Neutral and three Aggressive. Lots of potential for customisation.

Better yet, you could make it so that this or that particular commander changed as the game went on: destroying one of their forces would flip one of their Tactics slots over to be more aggressive, or they become more Defensive after a certain number of turns, or they become more aggressive when one of your forces are destroyed. Maybe make it a special ability.

The commander's Morale would be the total morale of the forces, with the death of the commander adding, say, a -3 to it, and every force destroyed dropping it by 1. When it reaches zero, the units flee.

Another thing (I just thought of) is that this enables 'no-player' i.e. pitting the paper commanders against each other.

It would take some finagling to create decks that enabled coherent behaviour, and this isn't complex enough to game out grand strategy, just small raids and skirmishes, but it doesn't need to be.

What do people think?
« Last Edit: 24 July 2022, 16:52:55 by acksed »
My Fic: [BattleTech] Not Invented Here - Technological progress is hard when you're all alone in the night... so why not send for help?

pokefan548

• Captain
  • The Barracuda knows where it is, hence the -2 mod.
    • Poke's Aerospace Academy (Discord Server)
Re: Card-based opponent behaviour for single-player tabletop
« Reply #1 on: 24 July 2022, 13:46:23 »
Could use the AI behavior trees from IO:AE as a base, then simplify it.

Also, you know MegaMek has bot support, right?
Poke's Aerospace Academy
The best place to learn and discuss AeroTech.

"Poke is just a figment of our imagination really." - Siam
"Poke isn't a real person, he's just an algorithm programmed by CGL to try and get people to try the aerospace rules." - Phantasm
"I want to plant the meat eating trees and the meat growing trees on the same planet! Watch that plant on plant violence!" - Sawtooth
Leviathans: The Great War Backer #224
BattleTech: Mercenaries Backer #23

acksed

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 24 July 2022, 14:47:34 »
Could use the AI behavior trees from IO:AE as a base, then simplify it.
I'm not familiar with those. Could I have a summary?
Also, you know MegaMek has bot support, right?
Yes. Intention is to crib a few notes from the world of boardgames, where solo play with a simulated opponent is, if not common, at least a thing, and make this something people can print out and slip into the boxed set. It's not intended to supplant, but to add.
My Fic: [BattleTech] Not Invented Here - Technological progress is hard when you're all alone in the night... so why not send for help?

pokefan548

• Captain
  • The Barracuda knows where it is, hence the -2 mod.
    • Poke's Aerospace Academy (Discord Server)
« Reply #3 on: 24 July 2022, 15:18:12 »
IO:AE has basically a whole chapter on the various robotic drone systems used to run CASPAR and CASPAR II SDS systems, SRCS drone swarm fighters, and other, more primitive automated units. Featured are several pages of flowcharts covering logic and priorities that dictate the pre-programmed actions of the drones with very little human input.

To present it in its entirety to a new player would be wholly overwhelming, but I still think it's worth a look-at if you want to put together a tabletop-playable artificial intelligence stand-in.
Poke's Aerospace Academy
The best place to learn and discuss AeroTech.

"Poke is just a figment of our imagination really." - Siam
"Poke isn't a real person, he's just an algorithm programmed by CGL to try and get people to try the aerospace rules." - Phantasm
"I want to plant the meat eating trees and the meat growing trees on the same planet! Watch that plant on plant violence!" - Sawtooth
Leviathans: The Great War Backer #224
BattleTech: Mercenaries Backer #23

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Hot and Unbothered
« Reply #4 on: 26 July 2022, 08:04:39 »
I like the card idea because I think it's easier than rolling dice and consulting a table.  I know Paul on the boards here came up with a nice set of 1D6 tables for random unit movement based on role.
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
Clan Smoke Jaguar, Delta Galaxy ("The Cloud Rangers"), 4th Jaguar Dragoons
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

Register