Author Topic: MechWarrior: Destiny  (Read 132223 times)

DarkSpade

• Major
Re: MechWarrior: Destiny
« Reply #120 on: 03 August 2019, 10:30:11 »
Destiny has no relation to ATOW. It’s a completely different system, it uses a variation of the Cue system, like Cosmic Patrol, Valiant, and Anarchy.

xp

I'll reserve final judgement after reading the beta, but after seeing how my regular RPG group reacted to Anarchy, I doubt this will ever hit the table here.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #121 on: 03 August 2019, 10:39:39 »
The cue system reminds me a lot of FATE, which I like a lot. Though in RPGs I’m much more about the RP than the G so I’m not expecting any kind of popular crowd to form behind me on that.

A rules light system has the potential to be a good overlay on top of the table top game to enhance the experience.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

wolfspider

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #122 on: 03 August 2019, 14:42:35 »
Adrian can you give us an idea about how the mech combat works in the new system?
I may have a low amount of posts but I have a PHD in Battletech and mechs older then most people on this board!

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #123 on: 03 August 2019, 14:55:07 »
drop your and your opponent's mech on the floor. the one that breaks into the fewest pieces wins

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #124 on: 03 August 2019, 15:29:59 »
drop your and your opponent's mech on the floor. the one that breaks into the fewest pieces wins

Based on historical sampling, I shall lose.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #125 on: 03 August 2019, 15:33:09 »
sales of single-piece IWM light mechs skyrocket. more at 11.

Insaniac99

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #126 on: 03 August 2019, 16:37:59 »
sales of single-piece IWM light mechs skyrocket. more at 11.

You fools! My Hunckback shall rule over you all!

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #127 on: 03 August 2019, 22:17:47 »
You fools! My Hunckback shall rule over you all!
I would think the UrbanMech would want word with you about that.  ^-^
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Ursus Maior

• Warrant Officer
  • Just here for a little mayhem.
« Reply #128 on: 04 August 2019, 06:57:45 »
AToW isn't really well supported today either, so I wouldn't mind if it went down a long exodus road.
liber et infractus

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #129 on: 04 August 2019, 10:47:48 »
{official} it seems its just going to to the Cue system like I feared.
So my excitement end rather quickly.
« Last Edit: 04 August 2019, 11:21:05 by victor_shaw »

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #130 on: 04 August 2019, 10:48:48 »
Destiny has no relation to ATOW. It’s a completely different system, it uses a variation of the Cue system, like Cosmic Patrol, Valiant, and Anarchy.

Wow that was quick.
That one statement ended any interest I had in the new RPG.
« Last Edit: 04 August 2019, 11:01:42 by victor_shaw »

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #131 on: 04 August 2019, 11:00:06 »
So will MW: Destiny be to AToW what Alpha Strike is to AGoAC?
To answer my own question, based on what's been said so far: Apparently not. Completely unrelated system.
I like AToW, from an armchair general's perspective; the rules look good to me but I've yet to actually play with them. I hope they don't discontinue the system.

That said, it will be interesting to see what Destiny will bring and if the two systems will complement or compete against each other.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #132 on: 04 August 2019, 11:17:01 »
If you would like any help with the AToW character creation system, I like to think of myself as fairly proficient with it at this point.  All you need to do is ask...

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #133 on: 04 August 2019, 13:05:28 »
Has anyone used the clue system before.  it's like fate? No stats?  Just + & - dice?
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Robroy

• Lieutenant
  • Not named, but not gone. Maybe.
« Reply #134 on: 04 August 2019, 13:12:53 »
Guys. We have 3 threads talking about this.

Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Way (Tao) to survival or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed"-Sun Tzu

"Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence"-Sun Tzu

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #135 on: 04 August 2019, 13:15:32 »
3?  I only remember 2.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Robroy

• Lieutenant
  • Not named, but not gone. Maybe.
« Reply #136 on: 04 August 2019, 13:20:43 »
This one.
One in AToW under the same name.
And it is being discussed in the AToW 2nd edition thread.

Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Way (Tao) to survival or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed"-Sun Tzu

"Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence"-Sun Tzu

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #137 on: 04 August 2019, 13:22:51 »
Has anyone used the clue system before.  it's like fate? No stats?  Just + & - dice?

At first glance the cue system reminded me of fate’s scene setup and character aspects. Star patrol uses stats and regular dice. I haven’t looked at anarchy

It’s rules light so if you want AToW2 or Starfinder you’re probably not going to be happy

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #138 on: 04 August 2019, 13:26:33 »
At first glance the cue system reminded me of fate’s scene setup and character aspects. Star patrol uses stats and regular dice. I haven’t looked at anarchy

It’s rules light so if you want AToW2 or Starfinder you’re probably not going to be happy
I'm more looking for a MW2 lite game or something that just add options for table top game.  I like CGL, but they've never made great roleplaying game rules for Battletech.

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #139 on: 04 August 2019, 13:57:15 »
{official} it seems its just going to to the Cue system like I feared.
So my excitement end rather quickly.

What's wrong with the CUE system? (Genuinely curious, I haven't played with it yet.)

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
« Reply #140 on: 04 August 2019, 14:06:45 »
What's wrong with the CUE system? (Genuinely curious, I haven't played with it yet.)

It's very flexible -- some people think it's too flexible. Pure CUE doesn't have a dedicated GM -- instead, players take turns acting as GM, setting the scene and playing the NPC/Villans in the said scene. One scene ends, the next scene starts with another player being the GM. Skills are simplified and cues are used to give the player ideas about what they can do with their character.

Cue based RPGs are Cosmic Patrol, Valient, SR: Anarchy, and BT: Destiny....

Craig
Author of 32 Battletech short stories including "The Lance Killer," "Hikagemono," "Negotiation," "The Clawing," "Salvage," "The Promise," "Reap What You Sow," "Family Ties," "The Blood of Man," "End of Message," "Heroes' Bridge," "Kurodenkou," "Thirteen," "My Father's Sword," "Evacuation," "Operation Red Lion," "A Matter of Honor," "State of Grace," "Operation Blue Tiger," "A Warrior's Fear," "Shadow Angels," "Murphy's Method," "End of the Road," (IAMTW 2019 Scribe Award nominee!), "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Blind Arrogance," "Laws Are Silent," "No Tears," "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Shadows of the Past," and "Three White Roses."
Novels -- Icons of War, Elements of Treason series, "Vengence Games." Upcoming: "In the Shadow of Dragons" and "Poisoned Honor" (WoR #1)

My Blogs!
Battletech:  http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com/
Other writings: http://trboturtleswritings.blogspot.com/

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #141 on: 04 August 2019, 14:22:25 »

My only experience has been with Anarchy which as I understand they tweaked a few things.  It's been awhile since I read through them so I don't have specifics, but here's some of the things that bothered my group.

- Anarchy had a GM, but as I understand, the Cue system doesn't regularly.  Even with a GM, a player could make changes to the game to some level.  An example used is a player(not the GM) deciding that an extra security team comes bursting in that the players now had to deal with.  Why would anyone do this?  It's one thing if a player cracks a joke about it, and the GM says, "hey good idea!", but to give the players that kind of control over the GM's world?  No thanks.

- Initiative is left to right around the table.

- There is no cash. Gear is bought with XP.  Gear is also supper generic. This works for some RPGs, but not what my group wanted in a shadowrun game.

- You could upgrade your gear while you played.  I don't mean by RPing out going to a store.  I mean mid fight.  I forget how it worked, but one example from the book was a player deciding mid fight that their gun had an attached grenade launcher now.  I fear how this would work in in a battletech game.  "turns out my SRM6 was a clan streak model this whole time!"

Now to be honest, I've never actually played a game with the Cue system.  My group got as far reading through the rules and making characters one night and when we were done, no one had any desire to actually play, ever.  On the other hand, when I recently had players make a character for AToW to use in a Total Warfare campaign they were all eager for some out of mech action too.  (which I am totally unprepared for  :o )

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #142 on: 04 August 2019, 14:44:53 »
I think AToW is great, personally.  It's more detailed than 2nd edition, uses 2d6 (unlike 3rd), and is more consistent than 1st edition.  Is it perfect?  No, but it's much closer than any other edition to date.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #143 on: 04 August 2019, 14:49:19 »
I think I'd be perfectly happy with both living alongside one another. Bonus points if I could get a character to translate between the systems (assume it would be really hard going from Destiny to AToW).

Incidentally, the mods are looking at whether to keep the two discussions separate or combine them either here or in the AToW forum. Just a heads up for later.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #144 on: 04 August 2019, 14:51:52 »
The one time I’ve had a chance to play atow I had fun. We made characters on the points system with the master jobs table as a starting point. While not as organic as lifepaths it got the job done and took a half hour to get going

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #145 on: 04 August 2019, 17:28:58 »
Well, once the Beta testers (alpha testers?)  get their NDA done with, maybe they can tell us.  I took glance at the Quick Start samplings from Valiant rpg.  (shrugs) its ok i guess i'm not sure how well it would do for Battletech.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #146 on: 04 August 2019, 17:44:09 »
Well I can see merging down to at least 2 threads.  No need for two separate MW:Destiney threads but I can see keeping a separate AToW2ed thread as other ideas and direction of discussion is less out of bounds.

My thoughts on the Cue system? Every system that uses it that I've looked at has failed to get me to even want to try it.  To me that is a sign of failure and I'd honestly go home and do something else if my group really tried to push it because I find it that bad of a match for what I want out of an RPG system.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #147 on: 04 August 2019, 17:49:57 »
Well I can see merging down to at least 2 threads.  No need for two separate MW:Destiny threads but I can see keeping a separate AToW2ed thread as other ideas and direction of discussion is less out of bounds.

My thoughts on the Cue system? Every system that uses it that I've looked at has failed to get me to even want to try it.  To me that is a sign of failure and I'd honestly go home and do something else if my group really tried to push it because I find it that bad of a match for what I want out of an RPG system.
Well one of the writers said it was changed, so we might well see what it's changed in comparison to current one version from Valiant.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #148 on: 04 August 2019, 17:54:34 »
Cue is too vague for me and when I look through the systems that use it I actually have a hard time answering the question of "How would I adjudicate a game in this system?" to the point I just can't emotionally invest in the system.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #149 on: 04 August 2019, 17:59:19 »
If they've managed to change it into something that I'm looking for in an RPG then it would be inaccurate to say it is based on the Cue system it'd be that different.